Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / Callis Cutoff
Posted: Jul 17, 2006 10:30 pm

Alright Memphians....let's start in on this local oddity. In high school, I had some genuinely scary drives through here. Disturbing grafitti, flashlights in the woods, dog carcasses in the street. The rumors are as follows:

1. Regular Satanic rituals in the woods to the right of the street, and the hobgoblins actually lived in the woods.

2. The KKK owns the land on the right side.

3. Just hoods partying.

A development on the left was halted a few years ago, and currently stands full of weeds and half-built lots. There's an apartment/condo complex at the Hack's Cross end. I drove through there two years ago, and there was a full, very decomposed coow carcass off to the side of the road.

Anyone else have stories?
Posted: Jul 17, 2006 10:32 pm

Just hoods partying.

Me.
Posted: Jul 17, 2006 10:33 pm

And the light on at the house on the curve stays on, waiting for the return of their decapitated son....
Posted: Jul 17, 2006 11:09 pm

where is this? and why was the development haulted? i know where hack's cross is, but not this callis cutoff place. do tell. i am fairly intrigued by weido places like this just to look and get an idea of what would be going on myself. odd how i've lived here for the past few years and for a couple years after high school and never knew of this place.
Posted: Jul 17, 2006 11:11 pm

It's a little side road that runs between Hack's Cross and Old Germantown Road. Drank many a beer in the woods there while skipping school.
Posted: Jul 17, 2006 11:28 pm

If the porch light was on it meant the deranged owner of the home was out with an axe looking for his son who never returned home. I was arrested there for speeding and busting mailboxes. The cops called my dad and he came to pick me up and the riff-raff I was with. I didnt get into too much trouble because my dad didnt give a shit but the germantown police confiscated all our moosehead beer.....and the golfclubs we bashed the mailboxes with. Being drunk and 16 equals retarded.
Posted: Jul 17, 2006 11:38 pm

man, jason, busting mailboxes with golfclubs. hahahah. that brings me back to when i was 16 and skippin' school and doing that shit up in indiana. i stole the golfclub outta the back of some guys truck parked at a hotel and then we went and started to bash mailboxes until i damn near tore my arm off because we were going a little too fast. shit hurt like hell but damn that mailbox flew far. hahahah. we didn't get caught though, thankfully. one of the few things i got away with that my mom never found out about. hahah.
Posted: Jul 17, 2006 11:47 pm

2 stories:

1) There's a pet cemetary further out...somewhere...that used metal crosses to mark the graves that didn't have headstones yet. Someone stole about 20 of them and lined them up along "the cutoff". That was a pretty creepy drive the first night we saw them reflecting off the headlights from the '81 Monte Carlo. I think it was about 2 weeks before they were removed.

2) Someone lost control of their K Car and it ended up about 50 yards in the woods. We raided it and got a car stereo, 3 Slayer cassettes, 1 soundtrack from the film Heavy Metal cassette and 1 small pipe. Score!
Posted: Jul 18, 2006 12:34 am

ye be warned of callis cutoff 6324 the spawn of satan lives in thine house 9174 incarnate as cows they ramble about 5036 sleeping in beds climbing the stairs 8125623 sacrificing there young calves to there masters 2071 "THE BLACK ONES of ANGUS who beget the NINE OF RENDROPHIA who fought in the battle for the SEAL OF TRENOPH and which at one point were the FLEAS OF CEREBRUS.green goblins will vanquish any mailbox that feels worthy of a fight.the pet cemetary was locked last time i took a gander.or maybe the ghouls ran off with the remainders clearcutted and bulldozed.
Posted: Jul 18, 2006 12:36 am

MY SLAYER TAPES!!!
Posted: Jul 18, 2006 1:18 am

why was the development haulted

Apparently there was some old coot running around dressed as the Wendigo, some meddling kids trapped him an elaborate Rube Goldberg style rope snare where a large dog and a stoner kid were used as bait. He would have gotten away with it too...
Posted: Jul 18, 2006 1:19 am

Seriously though, I know a P.I. you can contact Andy; goes by the name of "Winesack".
Posted: Jul 18, 2006 10:18 am

Seriously though, I know a P.I. you can contact Andy; goes by the name of "Winesack".

DUDE!!! That was a secret, and you totally just blew it.
Posted: Jul 18, 2006 3:46 pm

Goodbye, Goner Board.
Posted: Jul 18, 2006 4:04 pm

This is at Callis Cutoff....

I think that the tape stops right before these kids get their heads chopped off by the president of the Obituary fan club.

You have to scroll down for it.

Posted: Jul 18, 2006 5:06 pm

man i can't wait for the extended version of that tape, the one with the decapitation bit in it.

watched John Lee Hooker with two guys in obituary shirts, one in wheelchair, on the bluffs doing memphis in may on the cheap.

wheelchair fan boasted of playing "(Anesthesia) Pulling Teeth." Nice.
Posted: Jul 18, 2006 5:20 pm

you crazy kids have to much energy.

when I skipped school I just slept all day.
Posted: Jul 18, 2006 5:54 pm

when i skipped school we trid to see how fast my friends trust fund BMW could go in 2nd gear
Posted: Jul 18, 2006 7:05 pm

I remember it well. One of our rites of passage was to drink beer, get dropped off and walk the street alone at midnight.

The folk lore invloved a tragic accident and murder. A high school girl was being driven home by her boyfriend in a Jeep after a date. The Jeep swerved and crashed, instantly killing and bloodying the young lass. The boyfriend walked over to her house, and her mother answered the door.

Upon realizing that her daughter was mortally wounded, she picked up an axe and chased after the injured boyfriend. Her anger and rage was no match for the injured teenager, and she hacked him to death. We took the tale as fact, the same way we did the legend of curling iron rapist.
Posted: Jul 19, 2006 2:04 am

dressed as the Wendigo

???????
Posted: Jul 25, 2006 6:53 pm

i totaled a geo prizm on that dog leg in the rain @ 1 a.m. in march of '90. the dead chicks house was still there then. no fuckin' way i was gonna knock on the door. i got a ride home from some hoods in an isuzu pup that were smokin a joint. they made us ride in the back.
Posted: Apr 2, 2009 7:44 pm

Since this is a Germantown based thread, can someone clue me in on a bit of Germantown lore that has stuck in my head for a while.

I had a friend at church who went to Riverdale Middle, where he said there were regular fights between "preps" and "hoods." He wasn't really either, but had a sock full of coins in his back pack just in case he had to choose sides.

Was late 80s Germantown like the Outsiders?
Posted: Apr 2, 2009 10:04 pm

regular fights between "preps" and "hoods."

At G-town H.S., I don't know that they were super regular, but I remember quite a few. It's on this board somewhere, but probably the most infamous example was the big tennis court fight between JP and Chris B.
Posted: Apr 2, 2009 10:08 pm

Describe a hood, circa 1988
Posted: Apr 2, 2009 10:15 pm

hoods were just kinda metal/stoner kids.

"preps" were jocks and frat dudes.

hoods were usually cool with skater/punk/hardcore types in contrast to "preps" ... wasn't this kind of a typical divide for the time period?

a la breakfast club or some shit.
Posted: Apr 3, 2009 3:10 am

They were called the "freaks". There was still the hangover of 70's Heshers who were cool party dudes crossing over into the scene with 80's metal kids who were not. The skater/ HC kids were mostly clean cut and conformist, and got along fine with preps and freaks alike.

There was one big fight between a 77' punk kid and an idiot jock that was picking on him, and even stirred things up enough so that another jock wrote an article in the school paper blaming the punker dude and punk culture. Kids self-segregated along musical preference and fought over the SOS. If there was gang fighting, I missed out. The good fights were found when you ran into kids from rival schools around Overton Square, downtown, or parties.
Posted: Apr 3, 2009 8:30 am

hoods were usually cool with skater/punk/hardcore types in contrast to "preps" ... wasn't this kind of a typical divide for the time period?

Most of the "hoods"/"freaks" got along with most folk, as long as they had a joint or some acid. The only time the "preps" would come around was if they were looking for the same.

Otherwise, god bless the cosmetolegy girls.
Posted: Apr 3, 2009 8:42 am

There was still the hangover of 70's Heshers who were cool party dudes crossing over into the scene with 80's metal kids who were not.

Forgive me, but I never heard the term "hesher" until I had moved to California in 1991. Was it ever in use here before California culture creeped Down South? All I ever knew was "hood"...and that encapsulated any longish-haired, suede fringed boot wearing, marijuana-having, able to work on cars type of working class kid who listened to metal or stoner-rock.

One of the Central hood girls wanted to kick my ass once for carrying a 50's vintage purse, but yes, one of the cosmetology girl hoods (whom I was in a hair modeling show with) nipped that one fast.
Posted: Apr 3, 2009 9:22 am

The skater/ HC kids were mostly clean cut and conformist, and got along fine with preps and freaks alike.

i don't know why i think this is so funny.

what school was this? i shoulda gone there.
Posted: Apr 3, 2009 9:29 am

The skaters at Central in my era were filthy, had filthy hair and wore thermals, destroyed jean shorts and flannel shirts. And were adorable, of course.
Posted: Apr 3, 2009 1:29 pm

"big tennis court fight between JP and Chris B." Hey is that when JP got his mohawk pulled from his scalp? The decisive battle of the ages.
Posted: Apr 3, 2009 10:22 pm

My husband was at Kirby from 88-92. Was, and still is, a skater. Mainly rednecks in their pickups would be Skate Patrol... going around and trying to kick skater ass. Once he was out with his friends late at night and this guy who went to Kirby-- huge black dude who most people were scared shitless of-- drove up by them and said "Man, y'all better go home... just saw some Skate Patrol up the street."

He never had much issues with preps, but the one skater who went to my (private) school was always getting his ass whooped by Skate Patrols.
Posted: Apr 4, 2009 1:29 am

Hey is that when JP got his mohawk pulled from his scalp?

It didn't get pulled. It got split down the middle via suplecs. Went to the hospital with them after. JP had his own issues, but Chris B was a dick. I still have a scar where I got my eyebrow split open by that fucker in a fight once.
Posted: Apr 4, 2009 2:18 am

god bless the cosmetolegy girls.
JP had his own issues

If I recall correctly, JP was in the cosmetology club.
Posted: Apr 4, 2009 4:11 am

Went to Germantown High School 1981-1985

These were the main subsets.......

Freaks, Preps, Rednecks and Jocks.

The Freaks had the long hair and wore concert shirts, heavy metal stuff.

Preps were the rich kids who wore Polo and Ralph Lauren shit.

Rednecks were the kids who wore flannel shirts, drove trucks and were outdoors type people.

Jocks of course were the athletes.

My parents house is near Califf Cutoff. Tyhere is nothing strange about Califf Cutoff perse, it's just a road with a lot of empty land and forest around it that for whatever reason, has never been developed. Where Califf meets Germantown Road is (or was) a polo field. This is where ghosts of Headless Horsemen and Dead Confederate Veterans come out to play.
Posted: Apr 4, 2009 6:57 pm

Other weird places: what about Voodoo Village. I went there a few times, but never had the legendary school bus drive across the road to block you in so they could eat you or whatever they do.

Is that place still around?
Posted: Apr 4, 2009 8:03 pm

JP and Chris B...

I think i was at this event...can't remember.
I was at Overton first before gtown. Weird times...

JP makes periodical appearances on MSNBC as the PR guy for PETA.

Yes , really..
Posted: Apr 4, 2009 10:27 pm

you can look at Voo Doo Village on Google Streetview. just go towards the west end of Shelby Drive until you get to Mary Angela Road. follow it to the end.

spooooooooooooky
Posted: Aug 1, 2009 1:44 am

Back in the early 90\'s me and bunch of my friends decided to drive down cals cutoff one night sometime between midnight and 1am. As I\'m driving I get to the second sharp curve ,something catches my vision over to the left it was very dark whatever it was. With all the talking going on between my friends I tried to tell them I was pretty sure I saw something, possibly a person kneeling down beside the road at the second curve. I told them we were going back to check it out .By this time it became very quiet in my car due to all the stories about this street.As we became closer to the area where I saw something suspicious, my head lights caught something in the middle of the roadway ahead.We then got closer and sure enough it was a person walking like they were injured wearing a long black trench coat and carrying a long stick in his right hand. With their back to me, I put my car in neutral and rev the gas, the person didn\'t buge one bit. I then hit my horn a few times and thats when the person turned around and believe it or not it was a friend of mine,Corey. I said \"what the hell are you doing on this street acting like that,you\'re gonna get yourself killed\". He told me \" I was with a bunch of folks and they went to eat at the perkins resturant at winchester and ross I told them I wasn\'t hungry and to drop me off at cals cutoff so I can play pranks on people\". I said get in my car the fun is over.
RIP COREY DAVIS
Posted: Jan 16, 2010 6:43 pm

Is Callis Cutoff the same place where there was an abandoned house they used to call "The Cult House?" I went to Ridgeway from '79-'87 (from 5th grade) and I remember us going to a place out in Germantown/Collierville area that had an abandoned house in the middle of a field/wooded area and when we went in the house there was all kinds of Satanic graffiti on the walls, also there was a big water tower (empty) close by that we would climb up and sit while we drank and smoked.

The way I remember it, the hoods were the heavy metal/rocker/parachute pants wearing/moccasin boot wearing kids-the ones that everyone knew they were smoking/drinking/doing drugs; the preps were, of course the polo/izod/everything monogrammed wearing kids-who of course were smoking/drinking/doing drugs too, but they covered it up alot better; then we had the skaters/punkers (flannel, piercings, etc), nerds (aka band), smart kids, jocks/cheerleaders. However, I don't remember any significant fights/tension etc between any of the groups at Ridgeway, everybody seemed to get along pretty well as a whole.
Posted: Jan 17, 2010 1:34 am

Forgive me, but I never heard the term "hesher" until I had moved to California in 1991. Was it ever in use here before California culture creeped Down South? All I ever knew was "hood"

No, the term is new parlance, but I used it to make the distinction between the two groups lumped together as freaks. The older freaks were more holdover 70's pot smoking good time Charlie's with cool rides, access to the best after-school party pads, potent weed, and happening girls. The 80's metal dudes were more angst-ridden and less sociable types that substituted their prior D&D obsession with metal and drugs.
Posted: Jun 16, 2010 10:39 am

i been there twice now.i went with my friends on bikes. I seen and heard creepy stuff.the both times i went i saw somthing in white running really fast toward us coming out of the woods.we only make it like half way and this happens so we always chicken out.But that place is very haunted. :D
Posted: Jun 16, 2010 1:49 pm

What a great thread! You guys are bringing back cool memories. Over here on the left side of the bridge they called us metal kids "hoods" too. I heard "freaks" used in Memphis when I did a brief stint at Woodale High, which had the nickname "Hoodale" back in the early eighties. Hickory Hill rocked back then. Now it raps. Oh well. There was this proto-goth punk rock chick named Gina Dagostino who drove a Hearst to high school. She ended up commiting suicide and all the freaks freaked.
Posted: Jun 16, 2010 3:22 pm

freaky!
Posted: Jun 17, 2010 12:27 am

Yeah and I meant Hearse not Hearst. A funeral car, that was pretty hardcore especially considering her age.
Posted: Jun 17, 2010 6:13 pm

A hearse with a Hurst?! That would be sweet!
Posted: Jul 29, 2010 6:24 am

Lorenzen Wrights body was found in the woods surrounding Callis Cutoff. Very sad.
Posted: Jul 29, 2010 8:29 am

No doubt...the Cutoff becomes a little more mysterious!
Posted: Jul 29, 2010 8:31 pm

COW HOUSE!!! cows in the house
Posted: Jul 30, 2010 1:40 am

911...boom boom boom...then the

"call is cut off"

Maybe someone was trying to send a message. Ya dig?
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®