Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / lasik surgery in memphis?
Posted: Jul 12, 2006 3:50 pm | Edited by: alix

Anyone get this procedure done? My eyesight is getting worse.
I've been thinking about it, but don't know where to go around here. Help!
Posted: Jul 12, 2006 4:07 pm

i wanna do it too!
Posted: Jul 12, 2006 4:30 pm | Edited by: alix

help me and april, please.. we are running into walls at our house
Posted: Jul 12, 2006 4:48 pm

Haven't had it done yet, but I'm looking into Southern Eye Associates of Memphis.
Posted: Jul 12, 2006 5:05 pm

we have one of the most respected eye surgeons in the country as a regular customer at tsunami (i mean he eats there like 4 times a week). and he had told me previously that he personally would not get his eyes done with lasik in memphis. but i will ask him what he thinks about southern eye associates and quiz him again on where the closest place that is good is, because i have forgotten now. i'll let you know what i find out.
Posted: Jul 12, 2006 5:22 pm

I've been thinking about it, but don't know where to go around here.

Kinda like when I needed a crutch but the store was too far away.
Posted: Jul 12, 2006 11:44 pm

C'mon, Alix. This is your chance to get some really cute glasses.
Posted: Jul 13, 2006 12:05 am

My father is an eye surgeon and does not recomend in most cases Lasik surgery, its hit or miss. Glasses, no long term effects....Lasik can make your vision worse. Its 50/50. You should never stert slicing your eyball. Its supposed to change the parabolic intake of light but half the time it distorts. The only surgery my dad said he would do for free is removing a dead eye. He said its worst than the pain in hell. He doesnt charge for that.
Just wear glasses....or poke youself in the cornea with skewers.
Posted: Jul 13, 2006 1:53 am

This is your chance to get some really cute glasses.

Dig.
Posted: Jul 13, 2006 2:29 am

i don't think it's fifty fifty. my whole family got it, and everybody doing fine, as well as the other 15 people i know who have had it, and it's been almost ten years since my dad had it done in canada where it was legal earlier. but it's an informal study for sure. the eye guy i talked to said that it's serious but if you go to the right people you have a very good chance of everything going perfectly.
Posted: Jul 13, 2006 2:53 am

we have one of the most respected eye surgeons in the country as a regular customer at tsunami
is it dr.gettelfinger?he works at meca and is saving my eyes from the fusarium.they do cataract surgeries out there all the time and all the old people love them(dr.g and the freeman bros)they are my heroes,too.
Posted: Jul 13, 2006 3:44 am

I had it done in 2000. The name was Dr. Nancy Schanzer (I think I spelled the name right). Great job, no complaints. However...

Not everyone with crappy eyesight can have LASIK. My mom is blind as a bat and is not a candidate for it. If you are nearsighted as opposed to farsighted, your chances are better. It does not always correct an astigmatism. You will have to go through some tests and such to determine if you can even have the surgery at all.

The surgery is very quick, like 4 minutes for both eyes. However, you are BLIND in the eye they are working on while they do it, and it scared me shitless. You cannot be sedated or put to sleep. They gave me a mild valium beforehand to take the edge off, but this didn't do shit once they got started. You lay down in something like a dentist's chair, your head is encased in this velcro like casing, and your eyelids are pried open with this freaky plastic apparatus. It doesn't hurt really but it is NOT comfortable.

They make the incision for the flap (yes, they slice open the surface of YOUR EYEBALL), pull the flap back and FOOM, your vision fades out. Holy shit. Then you stare at a red dot for 20 seconds. Flap is moved back and your vision zooms back in. It's pretty freaky.

You get numbing drops in yr eyes while they work, so no pain in the eyeballs, but you feel pressure. Also weird.

I was 20/200 when I had it. When I was done I sat up and could read the digital clock on the walls. Day after that, I could drive. You will have to go to numerous follow-up appointments (as in the next day and again that week).

My eyes had huge red blotches (bruises really) on them. I looked like someone had socked me in the eyes. My eyes are blue but all the redness on my eyeballs made them look purple. That took weeks to go away.

They will tell you there is a risk of over-correction or under-correction. In my case they under-corrected. It was a major improvement, but not to 20/20. Also, as you get older your eyes start going to shit again.

Six years later, I still see much better, but need glasses to drive again (which is how I started out when I was 18; I'm 33 now). My optometrist, who also had LASIK, said I could get the surgery touched up but I don't want to do that. And since I hit my 30s my eyesight went down a little further. Nothing they can do about that.

So I can't complain really... I get the best of both worlds. I can ditch the glasses when I don't want to wear them and not walk into walls, and I can go get a pair of cool-ass glasses.

(I am allergic to contacts; I tried 'em all and just got one eye infection after another and it got to where it was LASIK or glasses permanently).
Posted: Jul 13, 2006 9:05 am

I think what pops is pissed about is that they have lasik centers in strip malls claiming to cure bad eyesight when all you need is to just regularly get your contact(eyeglasses) checked for a change in prescripton instead of hacking away at your cornea....plus, arent glasses cool?
Posted: Jul 13, 2006 12:14 pm

Yeah, I think a lot of people don't realize that not everyone can have the surgery in the first place. And people don't realize that someone is cutting your eyeball open... I've had people ask me "You mean it's not some laser just shaping the eye?", like some doctor just whips out a laser pointer. Yes, it IS a laser shaping the eye, but they have to cut a flap open first. It's SURGERY, y'all...

Glasses are cool, yes, but they can be annoying when you absolutely rely on them to see. They get in the way sometimes and it's good to have an option. If I could have alternated with contacts, I would have, but it didn't fly. Even the daily disposables gave me infections-- mainly because I have freakishly dry eyes. I looked like friggin' Tammy Faye all the time from having to use eyedrops every 10 minutes. When the daily disposables (which cost like $400 for six months) didn't work for me, my optometrist said there was no other option but LASIK or glasses.
Posted: Jul 13, 2006 5:05 pm | Edited by: alix

I have glasses, I've had them my whole life but I hate wearing them. I just started wearing contacts in the last 2 years, and they just aren't working out. I've tried many different brands, and none just never seem to adjust, always dry and can never focus.
I am nearsighted with an astigmatism in both eyes, my left being worse. Probably not a candidate for lasik, but I'm gonna try! thanks for everyone's imput!
Posted: Jul 13, 2006 6:00 pm

no you proabably still are a candidate, i have an astigmatism in both eyes, and they said i would be fine. but it's true that not everybody is. i just want to get it so i can see all the ladies in their bikinis whilst i'm a swimmin. and to see the clock when i wake up so i know what time it is. sometimes when i'm drunk i leave my glasses somewhere in the house that is unusual, like in the front room if i fell asleep on the couch and then went to bed later, and i'm totally helpless. one time actually had to call somebody to come over to help me find em. that felt pretty vulnerable.
Posted: Jul 13, 2006 11:18 pm

I just started wearing contacts in the last 2 years, and they just aren't working out.
Did you ever try Precision UV contacts? They work great for me. Before I got them, I had tried about 10 brands and always had lousy results. I've been using them for about 8 years now without any problems. I'm not sure if they'd work for an astigmatism, but they might be worth checking out if you don't/can't get the surgery. Good luck.
Posted: Jul 18, 2006 8:49 am

I went to my optometrist today and he says I am now at 20/40... eyes have gotten a bit worse, but not much. Pffft. Oh, and that I was likely worse than 20/200 before the LASIK. Probably more like 20/280.

Oh, and yes you can still have the surgery even with an astigmatism; just depends. My mom is hella farsighted, has had glasses since 2nd grade, and is not a candidate... but her being 63 doesn't help either. The younger you are the better, though you can't have it TOO young (like teens). I was 27 when I had it done, and I recall seeing people in their 40s in the office getting it done.

Some other stuff I forgot... you'll have to sleep in these clear goggles that they give you for a week afterward (can't smoosh yr face in the pillow and risk opening the eye incision). No eye makeup for a week, no swimming for a week or so, because you can't risk an eye infection. Will have to wear sunglasses every time you go out for a week... they'll give you the old lady wraparounds, which I flat out refused to wear. S'ok, you can wear your own provided they block out all the UVs. You'll have to see the doctor the day after surgery, again that week, and several times in the months afterward to make sure you've healed right.

And you will have to sign a shitload of paperwork beforehand essentially saying you won't sue them. :)
Posted: Jul 18, 2006 6:26 pm

I work at a pretty famous (in the vision world) eye institute here and we do it all, including LASIK. They are very selective and have weekly informational seminars to let people know the details and then will match people up with the $$$ and the desire with surgeons who will further evaluate. I was surprised at how many get turned down. If I was a good candidate, maybe I'd do it, because my eyesight is nightmarish and I get a 30% employee discount. But even with the discount, I got better things to spend thousands on.

And, working where I do, I have seen some really crazy shit start happening once you start slicing that eyeball. Sometimes that is what you have to do to save your vision, but if it is a vanity thing, I don't know. There are some badass glasses out there and contacts are fine once you get used to them.
Posted: Jul 18, 2006 6:36 pm

I don't know why, but all of a sudden, I've got that crappy Jackson Browne song in my head now...
Posted: Jul 18, 2006 10:31 pm

Heh. They gave me a teddy bear to squeeze. Whatever, I'm surprised I didn't rip its little bear head clean off. I had to do deep breathing to calm myself down once they had that plastic thing in my eye to keep my lids open. I freaking hated that part. The doctor told me I had to chill out or she wasn't going to proceed. Oh, after $2000, you're damn well gonna proceed, woman.

If I could've done contacts, I could have. Alas, my eyes don't wanna.

If I was 20/280 when I was 27 and I'm almost 34 now... damn. Who knows how blind I'd be had I not had it done? And I didn't even need glasses until I was 18.
Posted: Jul 19, 2006 5:02 am

I'm an eye surgery tech, don't have ANY surgery done to your eye, unless glasses or contacts will not correct your problem satisfactorily. If you truly need Lasik, Cathy Schanzer @ Southern Eye Associates does a good job.
Posted: Jul 19, 2006 8:54 am

Duh, why did I say Nancy? Cathy Schanzer... that's who I went to.
Posted: Jul 19, 2006 8:59 am

And my optometrist also went to her (Dr. Weinberg at Eclectic Eye, he's really cool).

Toad, why do you say not to have any surgery done to your eye? Just wonderin'.

Shit, now I'm scared my eyes are gonna rot or something. But I am told my eyes have healed perfectly... though I had some scarring there for awhile.
Posted: Jul 19, 2006 3:31 pm

I clean the Weinberg's house, they're really cool!
Posted: Jul 19, 2006 5:15 pm

Ahh so you must work with 2 Chicks. Might I ask how much y'all charge normally? My grandma is in a wheelchair and needs help with cleaning, but is on a fixed income and all that.
Posted: Jul 19, 2006 5:30 pm

Did this Dr. Weinberg happen to go to Central HS, Colin? Anyone?
Posted: Jul 20, 2006 4:18 am

Indeed he did. When, I don't know. 80s, anyway.
Posted: Jul 20, 2006 4:48 am

he looks like patrick dempsey.i think hes around 37.
Posted: Jul 20, 2006 3:37 pm

He was a grade younger than me (Colin's class). Josh, right? Didn't he marry his HS girlfriend? I can see her face but cannot recall her name. I think Colin told me he has a brother whose name I can't recall (maybe Josh is the brother and the eye doctor is the otehr one) who is now a Memphis cop. Maybe I dreamt that though.
Posted: Jul 20, 2006 9:40 pm

Every time I've ever seen eye surgery,the Dr. always made the patient sign a concent form stating that he was Not responsible for what happens in the operating room. That gives the nurses freedom to do whatever they want. One patient said that the needles hurt, and he needed more local ansthesia.This is when the nurse started laughing at him,and said"we've already given you all the Haalon your insurance will cover you for" and said somthing about him beeing a Big Baby.Later on that hour he started to complain that he had to "WEE WEE".The nurse told him to go ahead, and that she did'nt have to clean it up.he said he'd hold it,but as soon as the surgery was over, she gave him a bottle to urinate in,but he had to do it infront of all of us.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®