Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / Best/Coolest hotels in Memphis
Posted: Jun 29, 2006 7:30 am

The girl wants to see Graceland. Me, too, for that matter. Also, I'd like to roll through the Goner Store, hit the Stax Musuem, stuff my face with barbeque, etc...

I was reading the other thread about Memphis hotels. I know it's 2006 & a nice base of operations as such isn't cheap. I can't bat an eye at a place that's $140, give or take, a night. We will get a car & I don't mind driving.

So tell me Memphis kids... If your family was visiting your fair town, needed a place, & you really liked them, where would you tell them to stay?
Posted: Jun 29, 2006 7:32 am

Gene, you're always welcome on Landis -- particularly in mid-July, when I'm gonna be outta town!
Posted: Jun 29, 2006 7:45 am

Andria, you are an absolute doll & I love you & owe you a Cheater Slicks/Jeff & Ross Show video, but the girl isn't going to go for staying at a friend's place, regardless of how swank yours is. She just likes her privacy for something like this. I hope you understand. I am hoping you'd be around, too. I'd love to see you again & I'd love to buy you dinner.

This is part 2 of her birthday present. Part 1 was original Capitol Records rainbow label versions of The Beatles '65, Something New, & Rubber Soul.
Posted: Jun 29, 2006 7:53 am

isn't there a touristy elvis themed hotel right at graceland?
the heartbreak hotel?
that would be fun.

it just seems like there's nothing in between the very low-rent and the very high rent...
Posted: Jun 29, 2006 8:00 am | Edited by: Rachelandthecity

Doubletree on Union next to the Peabody is very nice and reasonably priced - close to all the downtown stuff and you can check out the Center for Southern Folklore, maybe catch a classic movie at The Orpheum, stroll through the arts district, catch a redbirds game , and there are tons of restaurants and a few decent bars - take a walk down Beale, but steer clear of it at night.

and you have a car to bring you into midtown for all the hip nightlife.
Posted: Jun 29, 2006 9:01 am

Rachel... A Doubletree would be fantastic! Thanks for the tip. I will let you know when we are in town. I would be flattered to buy you a drink.
Posted: Jun 29, 2006 11:43 am

When we all hit town for our wedding, most of us stayed either at French Quarter Suites on Madison, or at the America's Best Inn & Suites on Union, both of which were OK, and close to Shangri-La/Lamplighter/Buccaneer, etc ...
Posted: Jun 29, 2006 1:34 pm

Stay downtown. There are tons of nice hotels down there. Check the Chamber of Commerce site. I like the Sleep Inn on Court Square.
The Heartbreak Hotel is across from Graceland, but Graceland is in the middle of the hood. EP Blvd. is really ugly.
Posted: Jun 29, 2006 2:02 pm

No problem.

and i always accept free alcohol.
Posted: Jun 29, 2006 3:22 pm

I don't see anything wrong with hitting up beale at night, plus you can get a late night catfish munch on at Blues City Cafe. Last time I went to Beale it was a week night, there were a only few people out, a "decent" band, it was not 800 degrees out, etc. Although you do have to go in the day time to go to A Schwab, and that is always fun.

Or getting Gus' Chicken kinna late so it is cooler outside and taking it down to Beale and eatting in the little stage area (with cold beers).
Posted: Jun 29, 2006 5:15 pm

no, Gene, that's good -- I just thought I should offer...

definitely wanna see ya'll for drinks or dinner while you're here!
Posted: Jun 30, 2006 7:43 am | Edited by: Mullett

Sweat! I was hopin' to make it down by the 29th as the Memphis Farmer's Market is having a Southern Cook-off. The girl & I don't mind the Food Network & The Iron Chef makes us mildly moist. Unfortunately, that's when her birthday is, so she's going to be in Vegas a couple days before & after. Works out OK for me. On the 26th in Cleveland, The Gris Gris is playing the Beachland Tavern & Rocket From The Tombs/This Moment In Black History is playing the Beachland Ballroom. One the next night, at The Grog Shop, I will be checking out Mission of Burma.

It will be a good couple of days to be me.

Ed.- As it stands now, we should be down the 1st weeks of August or so. Hopefully I will have the order of MOTO 45s to Eric by then. I'm the worst bum. No wonder the label bombed.
Posted: Jun 30, 2006 8:40 am

chisca hotel. at least drive by it.
Posted: Jun 30, 2006 10:44 am

"drive by"

I thought that's why I avoided Beale St at night?
Posted: Jun 30, 2006 11:05 pm

I don't know how much it costs a night but if you're a REAL Elvis freak ,you can rent Elvis's actual abode at Lauderdale Courts Apts. This was his childhood home when the Presleys first moved to Memphis-the place they got kicked out of when it was found out they were pulling in too much income. It's been restored and seems safe enough now.
Posted: Jul 1, 2006 12:50 am

250$
Posted: Jul 1, 2006 9:44 pm

Royal oaks on summer or was that razed?
Posted: Jul 1, 2006 9:51 pm

Royal Oaks is long gone but there's a historical marker at the site declaring : "AIDS started here".
Posted: Jul 1, 2006 9:58 pm

Liar. It's the historical marker for the first HoJo. But you're probably right about the disease origins. Went to a party there one time way back. Don't sit anywhere.
Posted: Jul 1, 2006 10:56 pm | Edited by: Windy

Liar. It's the historical marker for the first HoJo

wrongo- first holiday inn. it was razed to make way for a warehouse style funeral home
Posted: Jul 1, 2006 11:14 pm

You right.
Posted: Jul 2, 2006 5:22 am

...and crematorium!
Posted: Jul 3, 2006 7:43 pm

didn't they change the name of royal oaks to roach oaks before it shut down?

and you might try to sleep under some of the debris of the former admiral benbow inn, if it all hasn't been hauled off...
Posted: Jul 4, 2006 6:26 am

and you might try to sleep under some of the debris of the former admiral benbow inn, if it all hasn't been hauled off...
it's all gone. the only thing left is the broke up sign
Posted: Jul 4, 2006 5:29 pm

Check out the new Artisan Hotel on Union at McLean. It's been several different hotels, most recently some kind of suites place. Someone bought it about a month ago and is fixing it up.
Posted: Jul 5, 2006 4:05 am

Most excellent. I appreciate the board's help immensely. I wish I could blow all of you when I roll into town, but the girl gets jealous, so that's out. I'll will keep you posted as to when we are in town & what night we will be out running up a bar tab. (Bucc Lounge sound good?)
Posted: Jul 5, 2006 4:10 am

it's all gone. the only thing left is the broke up sign

Yeah, I thought I actually saw grass growing where it stood the other day...
Posted: Jul 5, 2006 3:41 pm

yeah, you'd be hard-pressed to get more centrally located than the Artisan. I live one block behind it and can walk easily to Murphy's/ P&H, Bucc, Hi-Tone, Oveton Square, etc in literally minutes. Cooper Young's a bit more of a hike, but I still do it when driving's out of the question. And you're about a 10 minute drive from downtown. I have no idea what the rooms are going for, but definitely check out the new mex. joint in the lobby, Las Margaritas.
Posted: Jul 6, 2006 4:52 am

how about The Peabody? but you got to shine your shoes?
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®