Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / I need realty legal help, sex offenders in my complex
Posted: Jun 28, 2006 6:18 am

I went online to find that the guy below me and his father-in-law are both registered sex offenders....I want to break my lease and get the fuck out but when I talked to the landlord he played it down as if I was overreacting.
I need someone with some experience to tell me if I have the out to break my lease because I feel uncomfortable living with a registered sex offender I was never informed about. My landlord has known this and never asked me how I felt and then told me he could do nothhing about it if they pay rent. I break my lease I'm out 4 months at 700 amonth....I cant afford that. Do I have A legal out so I can take the rest of my income and put it towards a new place? HELP
Posted: Jun 28, 2006 8:08 am

do you have a Dept. of Public Safety in memphis?
if so, they may be able to help you w/ the appropriate arguments/language/exceptions to getting out of your lease
but i'm not sure you actually can

from what i recall about megan's law (which is the law enacted that ALLOWS communities to learn if a registered sex offender lives among you), Local officials are permitted to alert communities if a registered sex offender is living in the neighborhood. i don't believe they are required to tell you. there is a big movement to protect the rights of the offenders with an extrapolated interpretation of the double jeopardy thing as the thought process is that revealing their whereabouts punishes them all over again.

it sucks... but i don't know about memphis's application, interpretation and execution of all the aspects of megan's law - so try seeking out some kind of "public safety" office in town
Posted: Jun 28, 2006 9:19 am

Check the addresses they give on the registry. If it's not where they are now, they may have moved without notifying the authorities and that is a no-no. Also are you near a school? That might also be a factor. Call the cops and the District Attorney General's office. The DAs office has a prosecutor that does nothing but child sexual abuse cases.
Posted: Jun 28, 2006 1:26 pm

Have sex with them!
Posted: Jul 11, 2006 11:39 pm

So...TN law does not require a landlord to disclose to new tenants the fact that there are registered sex offenders in your building. Even as your signing the lease. I move for the safety of my daughter breaking my year lease, I am considerd incompliant with the contract therefor responsible for the remainder of the contract. I read my lease twice and not one mention of 2 registered sex offenders. He(landlord) mentioned a leak in the kitchen but not a word about the pedophiles living below. Had I fucking known that I would have declined. Now I'm stuck in a year lease with no legal recourse. I'm going to wait till he takes me to court....fuck it. I cant have my daughter over and sleep at night. I'm breaking the lease. He will just have to hunt me down for the remainder. I need a new place....I was thinking Woodmont Towers. Enough space and secure. Anyway...I was a little disappointed by the facts of the matter my lawyer laid down. Oh well, I will wait on my eviction. I'm not paying another dime towards this place.....also I had to fix the leak myself because I also found that the maintenence man was a registerd sex offender in West Memphis. Its all just too much.
Posted: Jul 12, 2006 12:12 am | Edited by: Uptight White

also I had to fix the leak myself because I also found that the maintenence man was a registerd sex offender in West Memphis.

Your landlord is sloppy to a nearly criminal level. I won't even contract with landscaping companies that hire illegals, not just because they're wagebusting, but also because you can't do a proper background check on someone in this country with forged documents or an assumed identity.

I do criminal background checks on every prospective tenant. Every single person that does work outside or inside any building is bonded. Your landlord is opening himself up to so much liability, it's ridiculous. I'd kick out a chomo before I'd let good tenant leave. The word of mouth alone is enough to clear out an entire property.

You can't really afford to take EVERY tenant breaking a lease to court at once, if you catch my drift. Spread to word around the building and see what you can make happen as a group.
Posted: Jul 12, 2006 2:47 pm

The landlord will be required to mitigate the damages...basisically you're only responsible for the lease until someone else moves into same place.
Posted: Jul 12, 2006 2:56 pm

just for future references, what if you ask the landlord before signing a lease, "Are there registered sex offenders living in this building?"

i would say that letting the rest of the people in the building know that there is a sex offender living there is doing a service to all of them, especially those with children.
Posted: Jul 14, 2006 1:39 am

http://www.ticic.state.tn.us/SEX_ofndr/result_button_sor.asp?var1=SO00 2895

this is the registered sex offender who lives in my building (@ madison and tucker) by huey's.

fyi
Posted: Jul 14, 2006 8:14 pm

could be worse, he could be black
Posted: Jul 16, 2006 7:36 pm

that reminds me... I'm out of sexual batteries myself, but you cant buy them in Mississippi. (I Am The Arm, help?).
Posted: Jul 16, 2006 8:17 pm

What are you afraid the dude is gonna try and fuck you....
Posted: Jul 16, 2006 9:28 pm | Edited by: Rachelandthecity

he has a daughter that stays with him...

I'm not sure how old she is and how much unsupervised time she has.

Maybe you should have just let the dude know you know what's up and to not instigate any kind of contact - he would probably steer pretty clear.
Posted: Jul 17, 2006 12:36 am

well if you got a kid that sucks...Sorry
Posted: Jul 17, 2006 2:32 am

I do and I'm moving.
Posted: Jul 17, 2006 2:37 am

My dad lived in these apts when he left wifey #2. I love the layout and it sucks that this bastard is setting it up where you have to move. I am usually really open about these social issues as everyone here knows, but with SO's...I really have a hard time being empathetic.
Posted: Jul 17, 2006 8:42 pm

Its more space than I need right now anyway so I think with the saftey issue and a cut in rent is well worth it. It wasnt like I wanted to die there. I'm not that attached. I hate moving but I'm going to rent a u-haul, drink beer, and get it over with.
Posted: Jul 18, 2006 3:48 am | Edited by: alix

It just says he is a sex offender, does that mean he is a pedophile, or rapist? you better call the super market, mall or even local grocery store before you leave home because they're everywhere. the guy is registered though... think about all the ones that aren't!
Posted: Jul 18, 2006 3:50 am

this is the registered sex offender who lives in my building (@ madison and tucker) by huey's.

haha, jack o. & the sex offenders
Posted: Jul 18, 2006 9:31 pm

Yeah, I was just about to say. Do you know exactly what he did? There are plenty guys on there that fucked their consenting 17yr old gf when they were 19 and the parents press charges, now these dudes have to register for the rest of their lives. Sexual Battery could be anything. I didnt see where it said anything about being a pedophile, and I personally wouldnt go through the trouble of moving all my shit in this heat.
Regardless of who the person is and what their past is... following common sense parenting (not allowing yer kid alone time with shadey strangers), you shouldnt have a problem. Besides, the guy looks like a twerp, you could easly stomp his ass.

BUT if it's THAT big of a deal, just print flyers off the website of the dude and his picture & addy... then post em all over the apt, and put one in each of your neighbors mail box along with some on telephone poles. Make him move instead.
Posted: Jul 18, 2006 9:33 pm

Come to think of it... I've fucked my g.f. in the ass a few drunken times. Just makeing that statement could convict me as being a sex-offender for the rest of my life in Mississippi.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®