Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / Crime wave 2006:Who owns a gun?
Posted: Jun 21, 2006 2:55 pm

Reading these Memphis crime threads made me wonder who else on this board owns a gun (specifically a handgun)? Last summer a guy down the street from me was murdered in his own driveway by a carjacker. I bought a Glock 23 a few days later. I don't go outside at night with out it ( though I don't carry it in public). I also have a 12 gauge shotgun in the house. I was a victim of a violent crime a few years ago and still have traumatic stress from it. It's not that I live in perpetual fear but I want a little edge over the boogeyman-because he IS out there.
Posted: Jun 21, 2006 3:26 pm

I used to keep a loaded shotgun in the house. When my wife (girlfriend at the time) moved in, she brought her big bruiser of a dog, so I unloaded the shotgun. We now have two dogs, the second of which hates everyone but me and the wife. We even have to put her in the bedroom when we have guests. Of course, this doesn't help much outside the house, but I drink too much to carry a loaded handgun around. Instead, I try to use common sense when out and about. Keep to well-lit areas with lots of people around, keep the car doors locked and windows up when driving through certain areas, stay away from Libertyland (har har). Not a perfect solution, but there isn't really a perfect solution.
Posted: Jun 21, 2006 3:41 pm

I have a 28 gauge(like a 4 10) and a 16 gauge shotgun, so if I ever get jacked in my house by a quail or a dove I should be good.
Posted: Jun 21, 2006 3:41 pm

Yeah. I have never gotten to that point where I felt I needed a gun--my first serious boyfriend kept a double barrel 12 gauge in our bedroom closet and showed me how to use it and that shit just freaked me out. I weighed about 95 lbs back then! When my mom was married she had guns all over the place as she married someone from Arkansas and that is just a given they will have guns and give guns as gifts.

When we buy the Florida house, dogs--big and lil--will be adopted. Maybe that can be their names.
Posted: Jun 21, 2006 4:04 pm

One of my father's pistols somehow made it through many relatives and back to me. It was a super-cheap .25 auto purse gun with a crappy safety, and I was convinced that it was going to blow my hand apart, so I sold it to Guns and Ammo for thirty bux...I wanted it out of the house...BUT, I'm about to move somewhere that has a slight increase in shady foot traffic, so I'm seriously considering purchasing an economical 12 gauge pump. Pistols are useless to me...I'm not going to carry a gun around in the car or on my person, I have no need to conceal...
Posted: Jun 21, 2006 4:14 pm | Edited by: fierydrunk

I would hate to think what would happen if I was a concealed gun owner and someone actually came up and threatened my safety---I am one of those initial "freezers". It would be "Free Gun For Criminal Day".
Posted: Jun 21, 2006 4:14 pm

i've never had a gun and doubt i ever will. i'm saving the $$$ and moving. its that simple. last year after experiencing some thug like activity, i spoke to a sergeant in the mpd who i actually graduated h.s. with, he advised me to get a gun and be vigilant. i'd rather get a bong and sit on a front porch in the middle of nowhere. oh, 3 homicides this week.
Posted: Jun 21, 2006 4:27 pm

I bought a Smith and Wesson 9MM pistol about a year ago. I havent gotten my permit to carry it yet, but that is my intention so that I can carry it with me in "ify" situations at work. Im a residential real estate appraiser and often have to appraise foreclosure properties in really, really bad areas of town. Some the houses are completely open and I fully expect a crack head to come flailing out at me anytime. Our neighborhood is currently experiencing alot of break ins as well (Humes Heights...the street that runs along the side of Grisantis up to Lombardy). Lots of break ins...even houses with dogs and alarms. The power line as well as the phone line has been cut at some of them to eliminate from having to deal with an alarm. Dogs have been injured and drugged...shits fucked up!! Ive lived here all my life and I swear I never remember more break ins and murders in this city. So, Im lookin forward to getting a permit and at least having a better piece of mind about things. Sort of sad that it has to be that way.
Posted: Jun 21, 2006 4:51 pm

God. It sounds like a total nightmare. We were watching First 48 the other night and it was shot in Frayser at the St. Elmo convenience store where some dude shot the guy who had murdered his 16 yr old brother. It was probably November or December--brown leaves still left on a few trees and the sky that thick soupy gray. It was depressing as hell and it did not cast Memphis in any sort of complimentary light in the least. It made me sad.
Posted: Jun 21, 2006 5:33 pm

Totally not against folks having guns. I kind of want to get a shotgun for the house, but, I'm just nervous about the boy. I've been trying to figure out how I'm going to store it in the house, but it's almost more trouble than it's worth (i.e. if the criminal broke in, unlocking the safe, loading, arming, etc.) I just don't know if there would be enough time.
I do have some swords, though...
Posted: Jun 21, 2006 5:34 pm

Just remember you live in the whitest city in the country. Murder rate in Portland is 25 a year(2003) . Memphis is already 75+.
Posted: Jun 21, 2006 5:34 pm

you can thank our head crack head, Hollywood Herenton, fur his inability to lead and show initiative
Posted: Jun 21, 2006 5:48 pm

Yep ...our mayor sucks ass!!!! See him on the news last night?He says the forum garage scam is not a problem, even if we have to lose over 6 million because of it. He is worthless.

The only bright spot this morning was hearing that they indicted 7 who were involved in the voting bullshit.

And Hooks Jr., crackhead.
Posted: Jun 21, 2006 5:49 pm

actually sr was the crackhead!
Posted: Jun 21, 2006 5:58 pm

I thought they were both busted at the same time? If not, my bad.

Sorry Jr., you loser thief. Hope you and pa get to share a cell.
Posted: Jun 21, 2006 6:03 pm

more trouble than it's worth

Don't get a gun with a child in the house. Get a dog. Get a baseball bat. Sadly, most people can't even shoot straight, including shotguns. It's a lot harder to pull a trigger aimed at someone and if you say it isn't, you haven't shot someone. Stick to blunt objects with children.
Posted: Jun 21, 2006 6:25 pm

from CA 3/7/2001 By Mickie Anderson and Louis Graham

Shelby County deputies charged County Commissioner Michael Hooks with possession of drug paraphernalia early Tuesday after trying to arrest his son.

Deputies went to 993 S. Cooper about 12:30 a.m. with a warrant for city school board member Michael Hooks Jr., Chief Deputy Don Wright said.
-----
Two officers went into the building, an office with an attached apartment, looking for the younger Hooks, Wright said.

They didn't find him, but did find "numerous crack pipes, some homemade pipes and steel wool," the misdemeanor citation given to Hooks states.

In the kitchen, the citation says, the officers found two pots of boiling water on the stove.

White powder found on a plate proved to be cocaine, the citation says.
Posted: Jun 21, 2006 6:26 pm

Don't get a gun with a child in the house. Get a dog. Get a baseball bat.
Got those. And the swords. I was thinking about the shot gun, mainly because all you have to do is point in the general direction (in case my wife needed it, but she's a pretty good shot, too). But yeah, there's adverse effects from that, too.

Stick to blunt objects with children.
Always.
Posted: Jun 21, 2006 6:27 pm

WHAT???? So, were both of them cooking up or what?

I went to school with Mickie Anderson at Central--I think she worked for the CA even in high school.
Posted: Jun 21, 2006 6:30 pm

Just remember you live in the whitest city in the country.

Oh yes! This I know! Have you visited our very ridiculous thread on this topic (well, it really has swerved away from the beginnings) on the ???? section? Don't bother, it is so ridiculous.

The first year I moved here (2000), coming from Memphis, there were 12 murders for the year. I literally started cracking up laughing on the bus when I read that.
Posted: Jun 21, 2006 6:40 pm

"Dogs have been injured and drugged"
does this happen often?when we're out, i worry more about the dog than anything else in the house.
Posted: Jun 21, 2006 6:45 pm

That has actually happened like crazy in "The Whitest City in the USA". Many died.

When we lived on Montgomery, some nimrod burglars tried to distract our CATS by leaving bits of bacon all over the kitchen. Idiots.
Posted: Jun 21, 2006 7:06 pm | Edited by: Uptight White

Anybody seriously interested should go to some training classes at Rangermaster in Memphis. The guy that owns it helped out JMM on some of his films and he has a great programs available for people that think they might want to start packing. I go to firing ranges all over the country, and Rangemaster is one of the
most professional oufits I've seen.

It's a fun hobby that automatically increases your penis size, at least
according to Bill Mahr.
Posted: Jun 21, 2006 7:07 pm

This information is not free, and I will find a way to bill all of you. I'm not so sure about the stopping power of a shotgun, even a 10 gauge. Also, I don't rely on a .9mm unless the range is around 2 - 4 feet. I usually keep my .9mm concealed in a bowl of BeerNuts, with my hand clinched around the handle. I often have the safety feature removed from a gun. I wouldn't use a baseball bat unless the core is removed, and replaced with lead. Then, it's only useful on an intruder that weighs less than 100 pounds. The dock leading to my boat is rigged with trip wires that activate aimed shotguns, nail bombs, and homemade flamethrowers. I have performed preliminary sabotage (clipped brake lines, gunpowder in carb, live ants) on the automobiles of several people that I loosely suspect might be plotting against me in the near-to-distant future.

You're welcome.
Posted: Jun 21, 2006 7:07 pm

It isn't just Memphis though... there's been a tremendous crime wave across the country.
Herenton is a terrible mayor, but you can't blame this just on him or the council.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/mca/nation_world/article/0,2845,MCA_25 345_4769625,00.html

And all the cities in the south have had really big increases in crime. I think a lot of it is proportional to the number of hurrican displaced thugs. Houston had to hire 400 new police officers. Memphis is hiring 77 new police officers.
Posted: Jun 21, 2006 7:14 pm

does this happen often?when we're out, i worry more about the dog than anything else in the house.

Yeah, I'm the same way, but what can you do? I just hope that someone casing my house says, "'00 Nissan, '95 Buick, modest house, probably don't have much to steal. Two big mean dogs? Too much trouble, fuck it, let's go somewhere else."
Posted: Jun 21, 2006 7:16 pm

I've got a hatchet. I'd like to have a sword. I could also use a baseball bat. Guns make me nervous.
Posted: Jun 21, 2006 7:29 pm

Well in our neighborhood the most recent robbery was Friday night. They broke in the guys back window and stole all kinds of shit...this is at like 9:45 at night according to his alarm. They did it all while the alarm was sounding but he didnt have it monitored so the police werent called. Upon arriving home the next morning the guy found his house in disarray and a bunch of larger landscape rocks strewn about that had obviously been thrown at the dogs. One of his dogs was acting really starnge the next day so he took it to the vet and the vet said that appeared that the dog had ingested a large amount of weed. He gathers they threw it in the window for the dog to eat to impair the dog. 2 months ago a street over a girl was broken into and the bnurgular used a pitch fork to apparently fend off the dog. Shits way fucked up!! I thought "well we have an alarm and 3 dogs...no one will mess with our house". Im wrong...they dont give a shit now and I am worried about our dogs as well. My fear is that they just open the door from the inside and just let the dogs loose never to be seen again....well that and stealing a bunch of our shit.
Posted: Jun 21, 2006 7:39 pm

I've got a hatchet.

I think I'd do better with a baseball bat. The minute blood starts spurting all over...who knows what I'd do? God, this is the most macabre thread of all time.
Posted: Jun 21, 2006 7:55 pm

" One of his dogs was acting really starnge the next day so he took it to the vet and the vet said that appeared that the dog had ingested a large amount of weed."

I can smell the bullshit on this one. This dude's puppy ate his stash and he flipped out, breaking windows and throwing stuff around. When he came to his senses (after finding his backup stash), he tripped his own alarm and called the fuzz.

Bad doggie!
Posted: Jun 21, 2006 7:57 pm

I talked to guy who is a sniper with the Memphis TACT unit. He told me the best thing to have for a home weapon is a 12 gauge pump shotgun. He said that thing puts more lead out than anything. 00 buck is a cluster of nine .32 cal balls coming out at once. AND you don't have to be Annie Oakley to hit your target. AND there is NOTHING more intimidating than that sound - SHA-SHUNK!- of working the pump. It will make a miscreant definitely stop and reconsider.
Posted: Jun 21, 2006 8:18 pm

the god damn criminals don't give one rats ass bout yer friggin dogs and alarms. they will shoot you dead over $20. an elderly man died last nite from wounds he received by a 14 and 18 year old last thursday. a letter in today's c.a. said something to the effect of "everyone's sick of the crime" yeah, everyone but the criminals and our criminal ridden government. fuck them crackheads.
Posted: Jun 21, 2006 8:34 pm

Do I smell a sugardaddy moving to Cherokee Village or Hohenwald or some such environment?
Posted: Jun 21, 2006 8:58 pm

yep and when i do yall can come out and get a whiff of my crime free environment
Posted: Jun 21, 2006 9:02 pm

I'll come watch you operate some pontoon boat, sharing brews with your retiree friends!!!
Posted: Jun 21, 2006 9:24 pm

i kill with my bare hands.
Posted: Jun 21, 2006 11:18 pm

I'll come watch you operate some pontoon boat, sharing brews with your retiree friends!!! cranking up 'The Clock n scaring the fishees.

ahh, i can't wait. fat life here i come.
Posted: Jun 21, 2006 11:28 pm

this thread is scaring the shit out of me.
No guns EVER when you got three boys growing up in the house, or when you have a tendency to drink alone and get maudlin when they are gone to their dad's.
Guns and kids (boys) are a really BAD idea.
I just sent my emergency metal bat to the thrift store, because I'd never have the presence of mind to use it. Which, really goes with all weapons. If I had a big knife under the pillow and someone was attacking me I wouldn't begin to think about using that.
If you get shot in the street, there's not a fucking thing you can do about it. Armed or no, it won't do you a bit of good.

I used to run all around Memphis, by my female lonesome, and not be afraid. I was severely arm robbed many years ago (thought it was bloodbath any minute). I don't run around as much now, but the crime wave (and I think it's a real thing) is keeping me at home even more.

Herenton's just getting ready for his next close-up. He's ready for his close-up, Mr. DeMille. Out of touch, and out of his mind...
Posted: Jun 21, 2006 11:41 pm

I went to school with Mickie Anderson at Central--I think she worked for the CA even in high school.

Mickie no work here no more. The attractiveness level in the newsroom -- ridiculously low to begin with -- collapsed thereafter. Her leaving also led indirectly to me getting a "promotion" (ie, same pay, tons more work and responsibility).
Posted: Jun 22, 2006 2:39 am

Just remember you live in the whitest city in the country. Murder rate in Portland is 25 a year(2003) . Memphis is already 75+.

I don't know how it is in Memphis, but the high homicide rate stats seem to needlessly scare "decent folks" here in Oakland.

We've had 60 murders so far, which is a heck of a lot lot for a city of only 400,000 people. However, almost all of those murders are committed by criminals killing other criminals. I'm not saying those murders shouldn't be stopped or that those lives are not somehow meaningful. I'm just saying that if you're not a drug dealer or some kind of gangster, your chances of being murdered here are very unlikely. AND if you don't live in a crummy neighborhood and you don't go walking around by yourself at night, the chances are even less likely.

Folks hear the number of murders and they imagine that people are going all over the city randomly killing people. And that's just not the case.
Posted: Jun 22, 2006 2:44 am

BTW, if you are going to get a gun for protection, a revolver or shotgun is the way to go. A pistol like a .9mm can jam, which is the last thing you want to happen when there's an intruder.

You're probably better off with a dog, anyway. While some of today's super-burglars may try and kill/injure your dog, the vast majority are still gonna go elsewhere as soon as they hear barking.
Posted: Jun 22, 2006 3:51 am

This thread reminds me of a Memphis version of the "Death Wish" movies. Liberal Midtown punk rock types get fed up, dispense swift vigilante justice. Take back the night!!!
Posted: Jun 22, 2006 4:28 am

In Death Wish 3, a surface-to-air missle was used against punk rock rapist thugs.
Posted: Jun 22, 2006 4:35 am

I've got my coconut crackin knife that came with me from the Keys and a gin-u-wine Navy m.p. billyclub. But I'm afraid I might pull a Castanza and trample my kids to escape if we're broken into.

And I do blame the mayor. He says this is his city, the police are his police, and he has proven over and over that he doesn't care what any of us thinks. I hate the fools who are running this city down.
Posted: Jun 22, 2006 5:23 am

"I don't know how it is in Memphis, but the high homicide rate stats seem to needlessly scare "decent folks" here in Oakland."
yeah, there was a lady at the neighborhood crime meeting i went to who had just moved here from oakland.she said pretty much what you just said about being safe as long as you mind your own business out there.she said memphis freaked her out,though,because things here are so random.
Posted: Jun 22, 2006 3:30 pm

In Oakland, 15 years ago, I had to develop this "hard steely stare and confident walk" thing. It really worked. It takes a lot of energy, but never was I bothered. There were random gunshots all over, beginning night 1, there though and at that time in Memphis, that wasn't happening in Midtown (though we lived at Telegraph and 40th which was a crack haven at that time in Oakland).
Posted: Jun 22, 2006 3:47 pm

I'm all for gun ownership, provided that you know how to use the damn thing. shotguns are perfect for home security. I live in atwo story, I could just blast down the staircase if somebody tried to come up.

About 25 years ago, I foiled a thug trying to muscle his way into my house. I closed and locked the door, ran to my bedroom and came out with a 20 guage pump. The perp was still on my porch trying to get in, so unlocked the door, kicked it open and walked the fucker down the street till he broke out in a full run. I didn't shoot, but the whole thing happened on a main street in front of 5 o'clock traffic.
Posted: Jun 22, 2006 3:49 pm

That is pretty cinematic, Carney. Esp. set in the early 80's!
Posted: Jun 22, 2006 4:13 pm

Luckily, nobody got killed and I didn't go to jail.
Posted: Jun 22, 2006 4:50 pm

Carney, in Memphis, if you shoot 'em on the porch, you have to drag them inside to avoid a lawsuit later. Or so I've been told by the cops. I imagine in Texas, the laws are a little more flexible...

Viva Texas!
Posted: Jun 22, 2006 5:08 pm

We're putting a mote around the house and filling it up with gators! Then a burglary here would almost be like an extreme game. I would welcome people to try and break in!

And if they should make it through, We'll just shoot them with one of the guns we have.
Posted: Jun 22, 2006 5:10 pm

Crossbows would rule, too. With explosive tips.
Posted: Jun 22, 2006 6:43 pm

Texas, the laws are a little more flexible

I was in Carbondale, Illinois during my college days. We were living way beyond the law back then. I moved to Texas a few months later.
Posted: Jun 22, 2006 6:56 pm

I was in a band that plyed in Carbondale several times. The first time was at the Hangar?? I think and the next 3 or 4 times were at the Copper Dragon. Weird brewery joint...no one ever came except when we played with The Urge and that was sold out.
Posted: Jun 22, 2006 7:02 pm

We're putting a mote around the house and filling it up with gators!

Go build a castle in the middle of McKellar Lake! You'll be safe there! Except from cancer.
Posted: Jun 23, 2006 12:29 am

I'm female and live alone in Memphis... hell yeah I have a gun. .357 Smith and Wesson, loaded and ready to go in my nightstand. I don't have kids though, and when my nephews come to visit I make sure they stay out of Aunt Possum's bedroom. I am trained on how to use it, but not licensed. I don't carry it around. I'd like to take classes at Rangemaster sometime.

I do however carry some cop-grade hardcore pepper spray that I was able to get through a family cop connection. He had this stuff tested on himself during training and almost passed out. I call it my Krypto.

My house has an alarm system too, with phone system protection (meaning it'll still work even if someone cuts my phone wires) and glass breakage sensors. It's fuckin' Fort Knox around here! One time it got really cold outside and it made my window pop, setting off the alarm at 2 AM. Alarm went off, the alarm people called in like 3 seconds, asked if I wanted the cops. I said yes and the cops were there in about 3 minutes.

I don't have a dog, and I wouldn't rely on one as security. I'd be too scared it would get shot or hurt if someone were to break in.
Posted: Jun 23, 2006 12:38 am

We have the best alarm in town!

Unemployed neighbors who do nothing but sit on milk crates out front and drink all day.

Yeah, they may ask for a few dollars every couple of days. And yes, we may have to take them to the can bank on Chelsea once a week. And yes, we may have to drive them to Chism Trail so they can pick up their packaged meats.

But when we leave for work, we know they are watching over the place like hawks. Big, black, drunk hawks!
Posted: Jun 23, 2006 12:39 am

Big, black, drunk hawks!

HAW HAW!!!
Posted: Jun 23, 2006 1:04 am

We have the best alarm in town!

Unemployed neighbors who do nothing but sit on milk crates out front and drink all day.

We have these too!!! Some of them are not as trustworthy, but they old guard keeps them straight...before they are all crooked, rambling around in the street after a day of drinking. Now that it is sunny and warm, there are so many street drinkers, dealers and low-level pimps on the corner now, there is no room for the burglars.
Posted: Jun 23, 2006 2:40 am | Edited by: elle

i myself do not have a gun, but i was raised in a household with them and i learned not to fuck around and play with the guns or i'd get my ass whooped. i did learn how to properly carry, clean, and shoot rifles and pistols, though. and i am a pretty fucking ace shot with a pistol.

my grandpa has been talking for the past couple of years about maybe getting me a handgun like he got my grandma. really nice and light titanium one. pretty sweet little gun too.

i currently can't have one though cuz my roommate has a kid and that'd not be good. but i move in august, and the thought has crossed my mind to ask for it this year finally for christmas.

i got me some wicked ass pepper spray though that i carry around with me all the time. i have never had to use it, fortunately.
Posted: Jun 23, 2006 3:00 am

Seeing as we are moving back to a place with real crime coming up, where do I get some of this "wicked ass pepper spray"? Should this be picked up on our pitstop in Memphis? (That is correct, folks, all roads to FLA from Portland involve a little interstate known as "55"!!!!)
Posted: Jun 23, 2006 3:08 am

i got the stuff from a place i used to work at selling hardware to hardware stores wholesale. it's the actual mace brand and it's got pepper spray, tear gas, and the shit that glows under a black light. pretty nifty. i know a couple of places that do carry the pepper spray/tear gas combo though. i think you can order it online too, but i know they restrict the sale of it in several states, so you might wanna check if florida is on that list or not. if so, get it in memphis! my friend's store over by u of m (which also has cute clothes) has some of the stuff for sale.
Posted: Jun 23, 2006 3:34 am

Cute clothes + Mace= Haute Couture
Posted: Jun 23, 2006 1:48 pm

Or for the aggressive female's ultimatum to her date: "Ass, grass or CS gas......what's it gonna be?"
Posted: Jun 23, 2006 3:15 pm

They have that stuff at crazy/beautiful? I've been meaning to get my gal some.
Posted: Jun 23, 2006 4:45 pm

I don't have a dog, and I wouldn't rely on one as security.

To hell with a dog, he'll shit in the den. Nowadays, a gat is a man's best friend!
Posted: Jun 23, 2006 7:47 pm

They have that stuff at crazy/beautiful? I

yup. she got some in cuz they've been having a lot of muggings on campus and the surrounding area.
Posted: Jun 23, 2006 10:11 pm

2 break in's within 5 days 1300 block of carr. central gardens. no suspects in custody.
Posted: Jun 23, 2006 10:20 pm

Three blocks from my childhood home on Peabody. That place is a fortress at this point, though someone could get in somewhere.
Posted: Jun 24, 2006 7:06 am

So I go out to dinner at Cielo tonight, the only bright spot in an otherwise miserable fucking long day. We eat, I'm finally in a good mood, and guess what happened?

We walk out to the car and some fucking crack head monkey had thrown a brick through my window and stolen my Sirius satellite radio. This comes two weeks after someone cut the links on a fence that my bike was chained to.

And what happens after my radio is stolen? I go to the carwash on Avalon near Madison to vacuum all the glass out and theres some squirly black guy sitting in a dark corner and he starts walking towards the car saying " I got money, I got money"! I told him to back up and get the fuck away because I was not in the mood to talk to anybody. That's when Yvonne told me to get back in the car and drive off because he had his hands in his pants running back towards us. She thought we were about to get robbed. I don't know what was going on, so to make her feel comfortable, I left.

I've been threatning for months now to move to mississippi and buy a house in Eudora, and now I'm going to pursue it. I'm worn out on this city. I love it here, don't get me wrong, but the crime here has gotten out of control.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to watch Death Wish 3 and pretend I'm Paul Kersy and take care of some of these punks!
Posted: Jun 24, 2006 7:21 am

Fuck, dude. That's crazy. Check out New Spain before you check out the 'ssippii. Although, I hear you if you don't.
Posted: Jun 24, 2006 7:23 am

that really blows. you shoulda just stayed in bed.
i looked at a house in horn lake tonite.
byhalia tomorrow.
Posted: Jun 24, 2006 5:26 pm

This is a decent site. Tracks various crime in the Memphis area:

https://crimemapper.memphispolice.org/crimemapper/index.cfm
Posted: Jun 24, 2006 5:30 pm

Anyone know if all the major cities have Crimemapper now?
Posted: Jun 24, 2006 5:42 pm

I checked all the categories...within one mile of my house on Jackson Ave. there have been no rapes, no murders, and no robberies in the time frame (looks like a month). There were like 7 car thefts, and 19 burglaries.
I live in a "bad" neighborhood. Dominoes won't deliver here for "safety and security reasons." (I had a big argument with them about this last week.)
Posted: Jun 24, 2006 5:59 pm

Yeah, I checked Peabody/Rozelle and while it showed the cluster West on Carr and a few here and there, it was surprising how few car larcenies, thefts and burgularies there were. My neighborhood here (we have crime mapper too ) is MUCH more severe with burgularies etc. Not to say it isn't insane there, I think it is getting more ridiculous everywhere.
Posted: Jun 24, 2006 6:15 pm

Within a mile of my house, with most occurances North of me in true South Nutbush...

2 Aggrivated Assault
24 Burglaries
18 Domestic Violence
0 Homicide
12 Larceny
28 Larceny Vehicle
3 Moror Vehicle Theft
5 Narcotics
0 Rape
0 Robbery
Posted: Jun 24, 2006 9:44 pm

Crimemapper never seems to show robberies - I've checked it many times as I was shopping for a house last year, and I never once saw a robbery listed.
Posted: Jun 24, 2006 10:08 pm

It does show robberies..but it uses the legal definition of robbery instead of the lay definition.

You can see 2 in cooper young if you expand the search radius to 1 mile.
Posted: Jun 25, 2006 3:50 am

3 murders in memphis this past thursday one being an 11 year old boy who was hit by a stray
Posted: Jun 25, 2006 5:05 am

Day one of new window and new sirius radio installed in my van. Let's see how long it last.
Posted: Jun 26, 2006 9:44 pm

3 guns in my house. 1 pistol by the bed, 1 pistol by computer, 1 shotgun in closet.
most likely there are no repercussions of using a gun on an intruder (if your white and the intruder is a minority). my roomate was involved in an experience where guns were used leaving 2 dead and receiving 1 stab wound, and only getting a sentence of 11 months & 29 days, but got out in 3. most likely no jailtime would have been served had one of the intruders not been shot in the back.
Posted: Jun 26, 2006 9:50 pm

within my house

61 Robbery
53 Larceny
39 Larcent Vehicle
38 burglary
27 Domestic Violence
9 Narcotics
7 Aggravated Assault
6 Rape
3 motor vehicle theft

fuck
Posted: Jun 26, 2006 10:08 pm

within a 1/4 mile of carr n cleveland
1 aggravated assault
4 burglary
3 domestic violence
1 motor vehicle theft.
Posted: Jun 27, 2006 3:37 am

Jesus, Sean, where do u live? Sadr City? Ramadi?
Posted: Jun 27, 2006 5:46 am

it looks like missiles are raining down on binghampton proper,but they are tiny syringes.i also like the punchy fists for aggravated assault.
Posted: Jun 27, 2006 5:48 am

I like the homicide indicator. Mofo got his legs broke, too.
Posted: Jun 27, 2006 6:58 am

another girl got shot in the head today. she was 14. i bet she was an exlibertyland employee gone astray.

i looked at the crime mapper thing earlier and apparently within the last week, a rape/burglary happened a couple house down from where i stay. i checked the same site last week, and that wasn't on there. freaky...
Posted: Jun 28, 2006 12:11 am

Down near Cox...

53 burglaries
17 domestic abuses
12 aggravated assaults
2 homicides

Only one rape, though

Crimemapper rules!
Posted: Jun 28, 2006 5:22 am

Can we please discuss crimes of the heart?
Posted: Jun 28, 2006 5:56 am

Oh Mother Love Bone! Crimemapper and my neighborhood:

12 purchases of "Dogma" (director's cut)
51 instances of The Lovely Bones ownership
1 relocation of Ethyl Meatplow CD into "frequently played" pile
3 "gifts and such" knick knack stores
41 PT Cruisers
2 Honda Nighthawks
14 lesbian purchases of Ford Rangers

Get me the fuck outta here!!!!
Posted: Jun 28, 2006 6:38 am

My block:

15 attempted yet unsuccessful, due to drunkenness, car larcenies
2 cars on concrete blocks to be replaced by 2 new cars on concrete blocks within the week
1 Korean woman of dubious dry cleaning skills
25 candies behind the counter due to too many attempts of schoolchildren theft
2 Indian/Scottish male and female swingers who have stolen our oldest cat from under our noses with better food
Posted: Jun 28, 2006 2:03 pm

Another break in our neighborhood last night (Humes Heights..just to the west of Chickasaw Gardens..Humes is the street that runs along the side of Grisantis and hits Lombardy on the south). Actually some friends of ours..he works at Channel 5 and leaves for work at 4 a.m.. They waited until he left this morning and came in through the kitchen window. They bound and gagged her and then took her cash from her purse, cell phone and his Playstation and then left. Shits out of hand. Its gotta be the same dude. I personally know 4 people that have been broken into the past month in all different neigborhoods. Ive lived here all my life and this has never happened. What the fuck is the deal??
Posted: Jun 28, 2006 3:51 pm

car broken into last night, rummaged... didn't find change/cigarettes/whatever...
Posted: Jun 28, 2006 5:32 pm

that shit is fucking brutal colin.

we just moved to midtown a week and half ago. we knew crime was a problem here, being regular vistors, but holy shit! i'm experiencing some major culture shock coming from fayetteville ar. i didnt expect to hear about people being bound and gagged for a damn playstation and some cash. or 3 kids gettin shot in a week.

as i type brinks is installing a security system. i have a 16 gauge given to me by my father in law but its put away b/c we have 3 yr old daughter.

where's willie? that seems to be the motto here.
Posted: Jun 28, 2006 5:41 pm

No...not brinks! A 3 year commitment of shitty service.
Posted: Jun 28, 2006 7:04 pm

King Willies a jerk off! I assume he doesn't have the time since he's training for his stupid boxing match.

The last 2 nights my brother and I have had to run off the crackhead who uses my moms street to get to the crackhouse. Thursday night we're beating his ass if he comes back.
Posted: Jun 28, 2006 10:09 pm

my mom has an alarm. it went off friday night, but noone came. when she called them, they said the alarm was tripped by her phone line shutting down. she said, "maybe someone cut my phone line so they can break in and i cant call for help." their response was,"what are the odds of THAT,ma'am?"and that was that.
Posted: Jun 28, 2006 10:26 pm

her company was adt.
Posted: Jun 28, 2006 10:54 pm

My alarm company is Security Consultants. They're a local company (office is on Broad) and I've had no problems with them at all. They're very quick to respond, as I've noted in the post above.
Posted: Jun 28, 2006 11:07 pm

Maybe we should do a big protest march with giant marionette effigies of Willie Mugabe and the police director. That, and slip Joe Frazier a "foreign object" to knock Mugabe's ass to the mat.
Posted: Jun 29, 2006 10:52 pm

"13 year old melissa robinson died tuesday after she was shot in a Binghamton park. a 19 year old female was being held in police custoday as a suspect.
meanwhile, an 18 year old male was charged monday with killing an 11 year old boy and shooting a 4 year old las week in frayser
and a 17 year old male was charged monday with shooting an 18 year old girl last week in a McDonalds parking lot on Hacks Cross"
Stay tuned....
Posted: Jun 29, 2006 11:05 pm

BTK was the main supervisor at ADT for years while he was a serial killer in Wichita.

Not to freak you out KO, but they obviously are oblivious. Imagine the brains that they have to hire that will agree to take a graveyard shift.
Posted: Jun 30, 2006 12:24 am

i work at graham's lighting on cooper and a woman was mugged right in front of the store at 8:30 in the morning last thursday. there were men working on the roof and other employees walking into the store when it happened. and the men who mugged her were driving a fucking volvo! probably stolen, but still. it isn't just the obvious crackheads you have to watch out for.
Posted: Jun 30, 2006 1:09 am | Edited by: Mark Rochambeaux

The very fact that we have so many crackheads walking around illustrates the impunity with which criminal elements can operate. This brings us back to my pet "broken windows theory."

I'm sure the fact that cops and public officials are getting indicted faster than you can say "I'm the one that makes the deals around here" also contributes to the lawlessness.

But it's mostly the Libertyland thing ...
Posted: Jun 30, 2006 1:21 am

The very fact that we have so many crackheads i.e. Hollywood Herenton's. Just remember to refrain. That is the operative word.
Posted: Jun 30, 2006 4:25 am

Exactly. Your pet theory is my pet theory. It also doesn't help when the owner of the neighborhood store thinks its o.k. to sell crack pipes.
Posted: Jun 30, 2006 3:21 pm

Im lookin forward to a nice, hot, crime infested weekend here in river city. Gonna have to try and sort out the sound of gunfire vs. fireworks for the next few nights. I gurantee there will be mucho murders/violence this weekend. Maybe the president will hang out through the weekend and soak up some of the fun. Oh say can you see!
Posted: Jun 30, 2006 4:00 pm

anybody know what happened in cooper young last night? looked like it happened on nelson near cooper. helicopters and cops everywhere searching for somebody.
Posted: Jun 30, 2006 4:10 pm

Maybe they opened up a bunch of the school gyms as holding pens for kids and things went all "Over the Edge".
Posted: Jun 30, 2006 4:26 pm

in the CA today:

Victim gets run over by car in Orange Mound
By Kendall Jones
Contact
June 30, 2006

Around the time Shelby County Mayor A C Wharton and church leaders were announcing today's prayer rally for peace, a woman became the city's 88th homicide victim of the year Thursday afternoon.

The woman, identified by friends and relatives as Renee Godwin, 47, was run over three times on Grand in Orange Mound.

Witnesses said a car on Grand ran over Godwin and dragged her a block, from Select to about Deadrick. The car then backed over Godwin and then ran over her one more time as it sped down Deadrick before turning south on Lamar.

The car was later found abandoned on Winchester.

Five police cars -- three near Deadrick, two by Select -- blocked the street while onlookers were held back by yellow police tape Thursday afternoon.

Tenita Godwin, the victim's niece, sat in a gray Ford van holding her head as she answered the phone calls of friends and relatives. She found out about the slaying while she was at work.

Outside, the victim's uncle, Frank Godwin, hugged Crystal Moore, a cousin.

Moore called the killing "unfair and unjust," describing her cousin as a woman who "left people alone." She had one daughter from an earlier marriage who also lives in Memphis.

Renee Godwin was the sixth person to be killed in Memphis in the past week, but the only one who wasn't shot.

Her death comes in the middle of a citywide call for peace, with various rallies and forums, the most recent being a prayer rally between city and county leaders at the Civic Center Plaza Downtown today at noon.

-- Kendall Jones: 529-2643
Posted: Jun 30, 2006 4:28 pm

Maybe they opened up a bunch of the school gyms as holding pens for kids and things went all "Over the Edge".

With Mayor Willie Herenton as Officer Doberman. "I can assure you that everything is under control."
Posted: Jul 12, 2006 3:54 pm

Holy crap. For some reason, I thought the guy that got shot on Oliver lived on the south side of the street. I spoke to my old landlord last night and found out, it happend at 1920 Olvier, the north side of the street, on my old front porch. Goddamn man. Some dude got shot taking out his trash in the duplex my wife and I used to live in. Fuck.
Posted: Jul 12, 2006 4:09 pm

Crazy - when was the Oliver shooting?:
Posted: Jul 12, 2006 4:28 pm

anybody know what happened in cooper young last night? looked like it happened on nelson near cooper. helicopters and cops everywhere searching for somebody.

I was wondering about this too - was gonna ask around or try to find out what happened but we went out of town right afterward so I forgot. Anybody know?
Posted: Jul 12, 2006 6:35 pm

About a month or so ago I think. The whole fucking city has gone nuts!!
Posted: Jul 14, 2006 6:33 am

Uncle Spatula: I think I know the guy that got shot. He's one of my friend Zak's friends. Fucking retarded shit going down in Memphis right now.

I've been up here in sunny Portland for the past 8 months and I can say that I've only had 1 questionable incident with anyone, unless you count the Social D show where some kid tried to break my arm (???). I don't think there's enough violence up here, so nobody knows how to deal with it. In my case, I was walking down 15th towards Alberta St and 2 black kids (15-16ish) were walking past me and one decided it would be funny to try and punch me in the face and laugh about it. I have no idea why he did this, but after I grabbed him and threw him up against the wall, he didn't think it was so funny anymore and started shaking. I've mentioned this incident to other guys in Portland and I've been surprised to hear that it's happened to others. Their response to "What did you do?" "Oh, nothing." EGADS.

Oh well. :)
Posted: Jul 14, 2006 10:56 am

I am not opposed to a gun. My uncle & my dad are in their 70s & keep telling me that they are going to give me some of their favorite noise makers. Pop's got an Austrian luger that I have loved since I first saw it in a James Bond movie in the early 70s. It's great, but the Walter PPK is a better gun.
Posted: Jul 15, 2006 7:56 am

Walther PPK will get you killed by a determined crackhead. It's a.32 or .380 acp-no knockdown power(unless it's a headshot). If you gotta shoot somebody ,you want to make sure they don't keep coming for you. Luger 9mm is not much better. Go for a more powerful cartridge.
Posted: Aug 15, 2006 3:09 pm

"...the men killed Giles, chopped up his body, and put it in the bed of a Ford Ranger he was driving. They took him and Kelly, who was still alive, to Sharon and Cliffdale in Frayser. There, she was shot, and the truck doused with gasoline and burned"
Posted: Aug 15, 2006 4:39 pm

"...the suspects forced her at knife point back into her home where the men raped her and stole a kitchen table, chairs and a computer..."

What's the world coming to?
Posted: Aug 15, 2006 5:05 pm

"...the suspects forced her at knife point back into her home where the men raped her and stole a kitchen table, chairs and a computer..."

i actually woke up this morning to hear bobby ojay(wdia dj) talking bout this rape and his opinion that these ACCUSED rapists were handsome fellas who "could probably get any girl they wanted". if you looked at the pics that was one of the scariest lookin' "trannys" i have ever seen and his cousin would have scared the stink off shit.
Posted: Sep 21, 2006 9:14 am | Edited by: elle

i was doing research today in the shelby county room on prohibition and i had to go through a massive huge index of newspaper articles from the 1920's and 30's that had to do with crime.

oddly enough, the crime rate in 1900, 1910, 1916, and most of the 1930's, the homicide rate was well over 100. in fact, in 1932, the homicide number for the year was 1935. in most of the years of the 30's, memphis topped chicago and detroit percentagewise per capita for murders. but we weren't the top..in fact, jacksonville, florida had a higher percentage. weird, eh?

funny how we have so much larger of a population now than we did then. and now, if we get 100 homicides, it's so much worse NOW than it ever was THEN. so when is this THEN that people are talking about? heh.
Posted: Sep 21, 2006 3:58 pm

Jacksonville, FL back then had a huge film industry. It was Hollywood before Hollywood.

What was Memphis population from 1920-1930? That was the time period when my grandparents were born and their families built homes, inc. our big place on Peabody. At the time that was "East Memphis".

What this has to do with crime, I don't know. Ask me again after my coffee and I will put it all together for you.
Posted: Sep 21, 2006 9:52 pm

unny how we have so much larger of a population now than we did then. and now, if we get 100 homicides, it's so much worse NOW than it ever was THEN. so when is this THEN that people are talking about? heh.

the good ol days! 1,935 in in 1932. was that the highest year? it would be interesting to see per capita comparisons and even a line graph comparison. did you write down this info w/sources etc? i'd love to incorporate this into my classes.

memphis population
1920=162,351; 1930=253,140; 2000=650,100
Posted: Sep 21, 2006 9:59 pm

elle: what did the newspapers say was the cause of the homicides and crime? prohibition related crime (gansters)? it would be intersting to see what happened after the 21st amendment in 1933. crime/homicides today are related to drug prohibition (gangs) but i cant say i'd want crack to be legal. i dont know how that would work.
Posted: Sep 22, 2006 12:11 am

1932 was the high water mark of the Great Depression.
Posted: Sep 22, 2006 12:26 am

Hey everybody,how do you like my duck imitation? Quack-Quack-Quack-quack-quack QUACK!
Posted: Sep 22, 2006 5:45 am

oops. i fucked that up. it was supposed to be 135, not 1935 homicides. yikes. i'm sorry about that. i was drunk when i typed it. heh.

the info came from the commercial appeal. let me get the total numbers for each year that the paper listed and then also get the date of the paper too. it's written down in my notebook in my car, but i don't have all of it. i'm spending a few hours in the library tomorrow, so i'll get it for ya. maybe even run a copy if i can.

there was a huge federal study done about the crime in memphis, about a year after the green book affair, which was a huge scandal where the local politicians and cops were paid off by brothels, bootleggers, and other crime rings. they "cleaned up" the government and cops and this survey was done and showed that the crime level reported was about the same. the people running the study actually attributed a lot of the crime to whiskey consumption, reporting that they believed there was one speakeasy in town for every 300 citizens. pretty funny, because the mayor tried so hard to refute that, saying there weren't ANY speakeasies in town at all. (which i think we all know is a total crock of shit.)

it probably had a lot to do with gang activity, in all reality. that and the depression like rumpleforeskin mentioned.
Posted: Sep 22, 2006 5:57 am

Also in 1932 ,there were practically no legal restrictions on obtaining a gun at all (unless you tried to buy one on a Sunday).
Posted: Sep 22, 2006 6:32 am

there was a huge federal study done about the crime in memphis, about a year after the green book affair, which was a huge scandal where the local politicians and cops were paid off by brothels, bootleggers, and other crime rings.

Tell more. Shelby Foote died, find the crazier things about Memphis like this, and report here. I'm a sucker for history.
Posted: Sep 22, 2006 2:39 pm

Tell more. Shelby Foote died, find the crazier things about Memphis like this, and report here. I'm a sucker for history.

Try looking it up yourself, you lazy bastard.
Posted: Sep 22, 2006 3:28 pm

Fuck you John3of4. I don't even like Google.

Carry on, elle.
Posted: Sep 22, 2006 3:43 pm

reporting that they believed there was one speakeasy in town for every 300 citizens.

tn prohibition was enacted in 1909, 11 yrs before it went nationwide. e.h. crump refused to enforce until it went national though and the fbi got involved in enforcement. the early 1900s was the heyday for beale and he knew they would lose some serious cash flow.

with alcohol prohibition also came the de facto prohibiton on prostitution. both had to go into speakeasys and became gansterized, i suppose, leading to crime.
Posted: Sep 22, 2006 3:46 pm

, so i'll get it for ya. maybe even run a copy if i can.

thanks elle! taking about research makes me miss college. i'm a dork.
Posted: Sep 22, 2006 3:51 pm

When did Prohibition get overturned???
Posted: Sep 23, 2006 12:45 am

prohibition got overturned in 1939.

the greenbook affair happened in memphis in late june of 1927. basically, when feds rolled in and found bellomini, a grocery store owner at the corner of 4th and butler, was running a bootlegging operation through his store. when the prohibition feds came in, he had in his possession a book which basically listed almost every police officer in memphis and the amount he paid to them, and also several politicians. this wasn't the first time he had been arrested either, a well-known bootlegger, Bellomini had been arrested in 1922 for narcotics, and again in 1924 for prohibition violations. he mostly avoided arrest and went about business as usual. most of the raids upon his establishment were routine slap-on-the-wrist affairs, only coming around election time to look good. he usually escaped any real punishment, perhaps a small fine, but nothing substantial. until the feds rolled in.

the bellomini payoff book spawned a decently sized overhaul of the entire memphis police department. it even had gotten national attention, as the new york times even wrote an article on it. despite boss crump having a large amount of support from the underground, he couldn't totally avoid national attention and was trying to clean up the reputation memphis had as a center of immorality and murder. if he didn't comply SOMEWHAT, he and his entire administration could potentially be in trouble FEDERALLY. he was constantly in conflict with the governor of the state, and let police commissioner clifford davis take most of the heat for the busts. mayor overton, one of boss crumps' cronies had even said of the 1928 cleanups in memphis, "we would like to help our friends, but we can't let them violate the law." however, that was mostly just lip service, and they both continued to turn a MOSTLY blind eye on the ongoings, making busts primarily on people who politically opposed crump. most seizures in the era of NATIONAL prohibition in memphis were done on a federal level, although some key busts were done by city police. feds got a lot of them on the river, many on islands. apparently, presidents island was a favorite of moonshiners!

i found a really interesting picture of a house on e. parkway...a really beautiful house. the address is numbered as 1139 e. parkway. not sure if the same numbering as it is today. but a really nice house. it was the scene of a still raid in march of 1933. funny because i have seen the house while i was driving down east parkway many a time. heh. they found a 2000 gallon still in the house! that's a lot of whiskey! mmmmmm.
Posted: Sep 24, 2006 12:50 am

We're only number two but we try harder : http://www.wreg.com/Global/story.asp?S=5446944
Posted: Oct 1, 2006 10:05 pm

Willie said the same thing that Ray Nagin said that the Original HomeyG Thugsta, mayor of Detroit said" We're gonna have a chocolate city".
And how will he bring that about? By letting crime go sooooo high that no one but poor blacks "who can't afford to leave" (bringin back a Nagin quote?) will be left, which he will then usurp. The template for this idea is Detroit which no one is doing business with now because of that. Don't blame Willy, the regular people are cooperating with "his drream", I live in "that part of town". It only takes one big butthole to stink up a street, two for a neighborhood, a coupla crack houses for an area, ad some "gangstas" to perch on the porch and everyone of a color thinks they have a right to act like a bad 13 year old girl "drama queen" over some really petty crap and start a shooting loop.
Men behaving like bad little girls, who's moms were bad little girls and dads weren't around. They were too busy behaving like bad little girls.
Now add to that the incredibly bad behaviour by the school board not supervising the schools in at risk neighborhods (didn't Willy get into politics from the school superintendent's job?) and you have a "criminal cultivation farm" makes new criminals of little kids. Let that go on for a while and you get what you have in Memphis, Detroit, and New Orleans, today. Hating "whitey" ain't gonna stop it. Growing up and getting real familiar with the term "fully functioning adult" might.
But when the populus acts like bad 13 year old girls and the politicians act like a spoiled three year old having a knee-jerk tantrum, there is NO HOPE.
Posted: Oct 1, 2006 10:12 pm

Elle--
My great-grandfather kept his still in the basement in a hidden room at 1650 Peabody. He made tons of gin and bottled/canned it and sold it to customers where he worked as a pharmacist. My grandmother got down in the basement as a kid and drank too much gin and Mary, the black live in maid, found her passed out! My great-grandmom was apparently always drunk and passed out--her kids barely knew her.
Posted: Oct 10, 2006 2:43 pm

We don't need guns, people, and we don't need more cops.
All we need is a park.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®