Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / i need a job in memphis
Posted: Jun 20, 2006 4:16 am

anybody work somewhere that's hiring? i'll be available after the first of the month. i have a college degree in apparel design and costuming, but for the last year and a half i've been working as a substitute teacher and a librarian (alot of data entry involved...i type fast). i've had alot of retail jobs, but i have no restaurant or bar experience.....although i'm willing to learn! any help appreciated!!
Posted: Jun 20, 2006 6:30 am

Try Dee! She's savin Libertyland! Oh..wait, sorry.
Posted: Jun 20, 2006 6:46 am

hey april...they're hiring for teachers and subs at memphis city. i bit the bullet, despite being a little freaked out about the entire situation. i just did my interview for that.

if you can type fast, where i work (mci/verizon) is ALWAYS hiring. it's not the most fun job in the world, but it's easy and they pay benefits after 90 days, and it's 10 an hour, with 50 cent shift diff. (so this would be an option if you couldn't find anything right away and wouldn't mind just having a job while you look around a bit more.)
Posted: Jun 20, 2006 10:59 pm

you could design special apparel for the sons of thunder. apparently they've been having problems keeping things together with their costumes.

http://windylou.typepad.com/photos/xxx/xxx.html
Posted: Jun 20, 2006 11:09 pm

Memphis City Schools are fucking morons...although i dont have certification, I worked for 10 FUCKING YEARS as an administrator in the athletic department and a permanent sub for AP Biology for the Fort Worth Independent School District. I have a BS in Education and a minor in Biology, but they told me "I didnt have enough experience or the minimum skills" to teach in the Memphis City Schools. They are constantly bitching about not having enough teachers, and that you dont have to have certification.
All I got was an automated email that my "application would proceed no further" Fucking idiots, no wonder they are hurting for people.
Posted: Jun 20, 2006 11:10 pm

there are no problems with the TRUE SONS!!!! the problem seems to be the imposters butt imitation is the highest form of flattery
Posted: Jun 20, 2006 11:18 pm

you do have to be able to be certified in one of three ways. it's highly dependent upon what you want to teach. you have to be certified by having a degree in what you plan to teach or you have to have taken and passed with a certain score a praxis test in the area in which you want to teach or a minor in that area plus your tep certification. they would prefer for you to have all 3. i'm going into it with a major in history trying to teach history and they still advised for me to take a praxis so i could be qualified to teach world history, government, and geography. i still have to get an emergency TEP enrollment, so i can teach in the fall. it's not that they're morons, per se, but that the state and nation has certain qualifications you HAVE to have now with this stupid No Child Left Behind b.s.

eric, i would go ahead and take a praxis test in biology, which i am sure you'd be able to pass without a problem and then you'd be qualified. it's at the most 70 dollars and then you would be qualified. they need biology teachers too something terrible.
Posted: Jun 20, 2006 11:47 pm

haha....do they need a home economics teacher??
Posted: Jun 20, 2006 11:48 pm

probably. i think they need about everything that isn't elementary school related.
Posted: Jun 20, 2006 11:54 pm

And male teachers--they need ya man. Take the praxis test.
Posted: Jun 20, 2006 11:54 pm

What is starting pay for first year teachers there?
Posted: Jun 21, 2006 12:08 am

with a bachelor's on your first year of teaching - it's 36,850something. goes up from that point with more educ and more years teaching.
Posted: Jun 21, 2006 12:10 am

Not bad. Well, it sucks, but it is more than an entry-level social worker would make unless you work for the state. It took me 6 years to make that kind of money working for non-profits. Only when I went to hospital work did I make considerably more.
Posted: Jun 21, 2006 12:13 am

well, if i would stick with them for 6 years working, i'd have my masters plus 45 hours into my PhD plus 6 years of experience there and i'd be making a hell of a lot more than that.

best thing about teaching jobs = not having to pay social security plus getting a government pension when you retire. and you're off on summers for the most part.
Posted: Jun 21, 2006 12:29 am

where can i find out more information? i had actually been thinking about getting my masters of ed anyway. i was thinking that maybe i'd want to teach math, but the only degree i have now is a bachelors of science in Textiles, Merchandising, and Design w/ minors in theatrical design and human sciences (basically another word for home ec) plus alot of hours in art and mass comm that i never filed paper work for minors. i did a week subbing in a home ec class at the highschool i worked at last year though and i could have easily been the teacher. i'd be interested in finding out more about what qualifications i would need. i've read before that you can get teaching jobs without certification if you have 5 years experience in your field. i only have 2. does that affect anything?
Posted: Jun 21, 2006 1:06 am

I hear you. I almost did it--special ed masters program but after a year, I freaked out after realizing I would have to be in that bldg all those hours everyday for months with those kids. I would love the summers off. Hell, I could probably do it at this point, but I could not teach anything but Englsh or History or social science and I don't exactly have degrees in those things. I bet though I could transfer some of the M. Ed classes I took into cert credits, take a Praxis and do it.

Why am I even thinking about it? I could also get my student loan waived if I taught in some crappy school.
Posted: Jun 21, 2006 1:14 am

what do you mean "not having to pay social security"? they take out everything they can from your check. of course, everything is taken out before taxes, so you actually pay uncle sam a bit less. but they take out:
retirement, insurance, fica-hi, fica-lo?, income tax, union dues (if you're a member), and any contributions you make tothings like united way or memphis arts council. plus, alot of people have tax-sheltered annuities, and that comes out before taxes as well.
so i gross $3500 and change a month, but only get about 2500. Very disappointing. But i'll hopefully be able to retire a few years early that way.

And i'm glad they're making it harder to get a job in MCS. there are already alot of people who don't need to be teaching that they're having trouble getting rid of due to tenure. Nothing against VR, but several people i've met that were fully licensed in other states had no buisness being teachers. just get the certification and you can at least get your foot in the door.
Posted: Jun 21, 2006 1:23 am

http://www.teachmemphis.org/

Make sure to check out the quote about their "diverse" school system.
Posted: Jun 21, 2006 1:44 am

hey lauren....did you just fill out an online application? i was trying to, but it wouldn't let me go through with it because i don't have a certification.
Posted: Jun 21, 2006 1:45 am

Oh Jesus!!! April, I have three questions for you:

Do you have a nice rack?
Do you like to dance?
Does developing a small meth problem tickle your fancy?

If you answered yes to all three of these questions, then check out these fine establishments for employment:

Platinum Plus - 10 miles SE - 2514 Mount Moriah Rd, Memphis, 38115 - (901) 360-8588

Babes Show Club. Bar/Club. 901-332-0044, 1575 East Brooks Road, Memphis, TN.

Gold Club The - 9.1 miles E - 777 N White Station Rd, Memphis, 38122 - (901) 682-4615

Ebony Lace 2882 Lamb Place Memphis 901 / 360-0179

Pure Passion 1849 E. Brooks Road Memphis 901 / 398-2700

......... You can thank me when you get out of rehab
Posted: Jun 21, 2006 2:52 am

what the fuck have i been doing? That's it, I'm going to be a MCS teacher. My job is absolutely the worst fucking way to make a living ever. And I've just dealt with it because I thought it might be tougher to make the same or more without a heavy investment in a post-graduate program. Mark Slaughter, it appears that we net about the same, but I guess you get your summers off and probably never work more than an 8-hour day? in all fairness to my employer, I can potentially double my net when I'm doing work out of town (the company I work for does multi-media litigation support, zzzzzzzzz) but that automatically means 15+ hour days and being away from home anywhere from one week to crazy shit like 4 months. In places like San-fucking Jose, CA. this has played hell with my personal life. Not to mention all the weekends I sacrifice when I'm here in Mem for these cunt-faced attorneys and their goddamned "emergencies". I seriously want to stab myself in the face when I think about it.

(I had a bad day at work)
Posted: Jun 21, 2006 3:00 am

will, is work EVER going to get any better for you? i think you need bourbon.
Posted: Jun 21, 2006 3:30 am

Oh Jesus!!! Will, I have three questions for you

Do you have a nice rack?
Do you like to dance?
Does developing a small meth problem tickle your fancy?

I think you know where I'm going with this.......
Posted: Jun 21, 2006 3:47 am

jerryd

Jerry
I have three questions for you

Do you have a nice cock?
Do you like to toss salad?
Does developing a small penis due to a meth problem... tickle your fancy?

then I have a job for you come to papatard!!!

you are a fucking asshole..
Posted: Jun 21, 2006 4:06 am

ha! Well anybody who whines on a semi-anonymous public message board needs the piss taken out of 'em. the last three posts made me laugh, which is probably all I needed.

yeah Jerry, my dancefloor skillz are well-documented (*cough*), but if I thought I could make a living AND support my meth problem taking my clothes off, I certainly wouldn't be posting on this board at 10:06 pm.
Posted: Jun 21, 2006 4:31 am | Edited by: fierydrunk

You'd pull in quite a bit more than 36K as a premium dancer at Platinum Plus, I'd imagine!

I just discovered that I have to take 2 or 3 grad level clinical social work classes even though I already have a masters of science in social work AND an LCSW in Oregon to get an LCSW in Florida! They will only give me a provisional LCSW until I finish the classes. I am in disbelief. I have 10 years total clinical experience, 6.5 years post-masters, I made an excellent score on the national clincal boards AND I already have an LCSW (for over a year and a half when I move). Welp, Jeb Bush's little weird state makes you have a certain # of clinical course credits in grad school...and I don't. My track was Management & Community Practice. But as everyone who goes to grad school knows, what you do there is meaningless compared to what you do in the real world.

Whatever. I'll do it. It will mean thousands of $$$ salary differential and who knows how many callbacks for interviews.
Posted: Jun 21, 2006 5:37 am

Yeah, it's amazing Will. Some people on here have absolutely no sense of humor.

And peepstemple, whoever the hell you are, lighten up.

Until I post a thread that mentions you directly, don't jump into something that doesnt concern you.

I think April could see that I was being humorous.

But speaking of jobs peepstemple, I have one for you that DOES involve my cock and some salad tossing.

Now that I've incorporated you into this thread, you may respond to me any way you like.
Posted: Jun 21, 2006 8:03 pm

i hate work.
Posted: Jun 21, 2006 9:40 pm

ha! Well anybody who whines on a semi-anonymous public message board needs the piss taken out of 'em.

will, i wish more people like you spent as much time on this board as others.

lighten up. fuckers. ;)
Posted: Jun 21, 2006 9:44 pm

p.s. that doesn't necessarily have anything to do with this thread in particular.
Posted: Jun 21, 2006 10:46 pm

the barbeque shop on madison
Posted: Jun 22, 2006 6:28 am

april, i don't know why it won't let you fill it out if you don't have certs cuz i filled out the online application and i passed the first interview and i don't have my certs yet. however, i have to sign up for the classes and get an emergency cert within the next 3 weeks. (i just got my email saying i'm invited to the teacher pool today! yay.)

jeremy, my dad was saying something that teachers didn't pay ss for some reason or another. that's why i thought that. obviously, he was wrong on that. heh. not the first time.

i'm kinda wanting to get part of my student loans waived, i need to look around more on the website to find out some info on how to go about doing that. but then again, i'm kinda scared to teach at a crappy school.
Posted: Jun 22, 2006 6:57 am

hmm....i tried again just now and it worked! now i just need to figure out what my gpa was.....
Posted: Jun 22, 2006 3:14 pm

jeremy, my dad was saying something that teachers didn't pay ss for some reason or another.

Teachers don't pay SS- I think he was just saying that there's still a ton taken out and the pension chunk that is taken out is comparable to SS. Of course, you have that pension waiting for you, whereas people in the private sector have to contribute to 401Ks in addition to contributing to SS because SS is not going to support you like a pension system is.
Posted: Jun 22, 2006 10:28 pm

well, i knew that they took a chunk out going toward the pension. i'm kind of glad that i wouldn't have to pay SS cuz it's not like i would ever fucking get it anyway. my retirement age is exactly a year after the projected year that social security is supposed to "run out" anyway. blah.
Posted: Jun 22, 2006 11:09 pm | Edited by: april n

ok....i filled out the application and turned in my resume. i didn't see any home ec positions on the list.....maybe they don't offer that in shelby county? so i'm not really "qualified" for any of the positions since that's my only degree. had you taken any of the praxis tests before you applied?
Posted: Jun 22, 2006 11:23 pm

no, i haven't taken any of the tests. i need to, though unless the TEP people decide that i am qualified enough by way of credits to teach world history (which i should be, god only knows that i took enough of that and american history both.) history is a weird category though, for a number of reasons. apparently a history degree isn't good enough because it doesn't indicate what area of history that you specialized in - geographical, world history, economics, or government. (it's really stupid shit because frankly, all of those areas are now considered majors by themselves.)

but i would take the praxis test in whatever area you are wanting to concentrate in. that will dually qualify you. the only problem is that the next praxis test is not until august, which the results don't come back in til september. you may want to go ahead and see what they tell you first and then go ahead and take the praxis just in case you don't get something right away, and that will go ahead and completely qualify you in the case of an interim position opening up.

that is...unless you go ahead with the interview and then get invited to the teacher pool and go talk to the TEP people at university of memphis or wherever you want to take the certification courses at and see if you have enough credits to qualify you as a home ec person without having to take a praxis.

i'm going to go ahead and sign up for the praxis just in case. i don't know if i necessarily NEED to, but i'm sure it couldn't hurt.
Posted: Jun 23, 2006 6:17 am

on the topic of loan forgiveness..
it's easy to get most if not all of it forgiven if you have a perkins loan and teach in a title I school. most in memphis fit this category.
with direct loans, they will forgive $5000 after 5 years in a title I school, but only if you didn't start taking loans out before 1998. that's what pissed me off. i was all set to get the reduction, but denied. at least while i'm in grad school they can't charge me any interest.
Posted: Jun 26, 2006 3:52 am

they offer
Posted: Jun 26, 2006 3:53 am

they offer home ec. it's called family and consumer sciences. my wife was just hired for a position.
Posted: Jun 26, 2006 4:07 am

what is her degree in?
Posted: Jun 26, 2006 4:34 am

human environmental sciences with emphasis in fcs. look into the alternative licensure program on teachmemhis.org
Posted: Jun 26, 2006 10:30 pm

craigslist has a PA job open RIGHT NOW for The Lower 48 A&E show... actually sounds pretty cool.

go get it.
Posted: Jun 27, 2006 3:32 am

How about jackin' fools for money? That seems to be a pretty popular gig here in Memphis these days.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®