Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / Carousel stays; Pippin goes
Posted: Jun 20, 2006 2:15 am | Edited by: Rachelandthecity

Home / Breaking News / Breaking News
Carousel stays; Pippin goes

JUNE 19, 2006 - 02:45 PM

The Mid-South Fair released a statement today saying that the fair and the city have reached an agreement pertaining to property used by Libertyland.

The Grand Carousel, which was owned by the city before Libertyland started in 1974, belongs to the city and will stay on the Fairgrounds until plans are made to finalize its location. The Zippin Pippin, on the other hand, will be sold as part of the Mid-South Fair's auction on Wednesday. The reason, according to the statement, is that "although the Pippin was purchased by the City of Memphis Park Commission in 1947, the original wood structure has been replaced over the years at the expense of the Mid-South Fair."

Two weeks ago, advocacy group Save Libertyland presented a case to the city council that the city owned all the rides and equipment used in Libertyland. Although the City Council ultimately voted to protect their interest in those assets, the Mid-South Fair's statement says that the City Attorney is not pursuing ownership in that equipment.

Libertyland was closed last year after the Mid-South Fair chose not to operate it. The fair leased the land from the city of Memphis.
Posted: Jun 20, 2006 2:17 am

'Save Libertyland' group still battling to keep city's park intact
Photo Matthew Craig/The Commercial Appeal

June 18, 2006
Denise Parkinson, stay-at-home mom and Save Libertyland leader, can be hard-headed, stubborn and, frankly, a pest.

But we probably shouldn't say such things.

"My nickname used to be Tenacious D," said Parkinson, 43, reveling in a personality that's helped rally public and political support for the closed amusement park. "This skateboarder in Little Rock called me Tenacious D when I was trying to save the parks."

These days, Parkinson is part of a colorful collective of locals trying to save Elvis Presley's favorite roller coaster and the rest of a 30-year-old tourist attraction that was shut down late last year by the Mid-South Fair.

There's also Steve Mulroy, a University of Memphis law professor and County Commission candidate with his legal persuasions and trademark black Reeboks and white sweat socks -- "Not a wing-tip man," Parkinson said -- and underground filmmaker Mike McCarthy, who's making a Libertyland documentary to add to an oeuvre that includes "Damselvis, Daughter of Helvis" and "Teenage Tupelo."

Save Libertyland has yet to live up to its name. But the group has recruited a potential new operator -- Robert Barnard of the T-Rex Group, which runs Joyland Amusement Park in Wichita, Kan. -- and successfully pushed the city to make ownership claims on the Zippin Pippin and the Grand Carousel. The latter is said to be worth $1 million.

Fair officials backed off plans to sell those two historic park attractions after the city made its claims, but still plan a Wednesday auction of other rides and equipment.

Mulroy said the city also has a "very strong" legal case for ownership of the rides to be auctioned. Despite City Council backing for that argument, indications are that City Atty. Sara Hall won't try to block the auction.

The auction could be a severe blow to Barnard's -- and Save Libertyland's -- efforts to reopen the park.

But Mulroy said private citizens -- read: folks like those in Save Libertyland -- may be able to take auction-blocking legal action on the city's behalf. He's poised to take that step on Tuesday, Parkinson said.

Such, well, tenacity is a hallmark of Save Libertyland, a low-budget operation that likes to stage press conferences outside the park gates with a microphone and a Fender Princeton Reverb amp that probably dates to Elvis' Pippin-riding days.

"I think both of them are sincerely concerned and dedicated and feel that the park is an asset for the city," said city Park Services director Bob Fouche, speaking of Mulroy and Parkinson. "I'm not saying that I agree with that."

He paused and added, "I think they are sincere. That's about as far as I'd like to go on that one."

Billy Orr, Fair general manager, also opted for a diplomatic response: "We have no animosity or anything against them. ... This is America. They have their point. We have ours."

It's easy, though, to understand why support isn't universal for Save Libertyland's motives and means.

Fair officials closed Libertyland because of its dwindling attendance and financial losses. They want to use the park land to expand the fair.

The city, meanwhile, is studying a redevelopment of the 170-acre Mid-South Fairgrounds -- even the fair's long-term future is in doubt there -- and so may prefer the complex to be a mostly blank canvas.

Support for Save Libertyland is building, though. State Rep. Henri Brooks, a candidate for County Commission, has become a regular at the group's press conferences.

State Sen. Steven Cohen, who's running for Congress, last week became the latest to step behind the Fender amp and join the Save Libertyland choir, touting the park as a source of youth jobs and entertainment.

"We don't have enough activities for our youth, and that's part of the problem with crime," Cohen said. "It costs so much more to arrest a child and ... deal with them in the criminal justice system, than it does to provide a job and activities."

Cohen called Save Libertyland "truly a citizens' effort."

But after nearly seven months of press conferences, letters to the editor, musical benefit shows (featuring the Zippin Pippins, with Save Libertyland's Misty White on drums), City Council committee appearances, blog postings by the group's Nick Davis, legal persuasions and various shows of civic tenacity, the wild ride approaches a crossroads.

Will the auction be stopped, perhaps clearing the way for a new operator?

Or will the auction go forward, clearing the grounds for an expanded fair -- and/or the city's redevelopment?

"It's been a rollercoaster ride," said Mulroy, 42, a graduate of Cornell and the William & Mary Law School.

The ride continues with uncertainty. But of this much, Save Libertyland's leaders seem sure:

"If it weren't for us, no one would have looked into any of this," Mulroy said. "The Mid-South Fair would have sold the rides ... the city would have lost all of that money, and Libertyland would be dead today."

-- David Williams: 529-2310
Posted: Jun 20, 2006 2:28 am

Oh boy.
Posted: Jun 20, 2006 2:42 am

"It's been a rollercoaster ride," said Mulroy, 42, a graduate of Cornell and the William & Mary Law School.

This is the best sentence of the whole thing. It's metameaning is so great: " And just so you know, Mulroy is not some Midtown freak in a band or a filmmaker artist type."
Posted: Jun 20, 2006 4:20 am

Hey Dee........ I'm sorry, I mean Tenacious D. (uuuuggghhh)

Are you planning to chain yourself to the pippen like an extreme activist would do to stop them from selling and then moving the thing?

Maybe you should go to the auction and buy yourself one of those electric cars. I hear they are closing down chucke cheese, and I'm scared if that and libertyland closes, there will be no where else to take the children.

Jackson and winchester are a long way out, so I want to make sure you have some sort of transportation to get there and speak for the kids.
Posted: Jun 20, 2006 4:36 am

So, Dee, where's the plan? I'll help with the Pippin, but that's as far as I'll go. I'll talk to the folks Fiery directed me to again, but what is your plan?
If it's an "all Libertyland or nothing", I don't think I can help, and will have to organize my own group for the Pippin. But if you'll meet me half way, I'll throw what I got into it.
Posted: Jun 20, 2006 4:39 am

Don't worry bout a thing, Jerryd, I have everything I need. What do you have?

The Zippin Pippin is more than a bunch of wood. It is a piece of history and a tourist attraction that happens to be the site of the last appearance in public ever made by The King of Rock and Roll.

Apparently, Mayor Herenton's ego cannot handle the fact that a dead, overweight cracker from Tupelo will always be far more beloved in Memphis than a crooked ex-boxer who holds the sole leasing authority for this city.

For the Mayor to contradict a 12-1 vote by the elected council means that we are living in a dictatorship, not a democracy.

Judge Alissandratos will have the final say, so we can only hope that he is not as bitter and jaded as some Goners.
Posted: Jun 20, 2006 4:48 am

Acknowledge. You have 10 minutes. You are still online.
Posted: Jun 20, 2006 4:49 am

Go ahead, organize! But you may want to hurry.
Posted: Jun 20, 2006 4:54 am

So, your organization is not interested in saving the Pippin? You would rather see the whole park torn down if Libertyland is not saved? Pippin is not equal to Libertyland, I remind you. Answer.
Posted: Jun 20, 2006 5:00 am

Dee. Do you tutor? Volunteer at the Literacy Council? Mentor a child? Anything like that? Just curious

Are there any other things you lobby for or against?
Posted: Jun 20, 2006 5:02 am

For the Mayor to contradict a 12-1 vote by the elected council means that we are living in a dictatorship, not a democracy.

Judge Alissandratos will have the final say, so we can only hope that he is not as bitter and jaded as some Goners.

...So, an elected official's decison to overturn a panel of elected officials's opinions being overturned by yet another elected official (one memorably described as the most overturned judge in the entire Tennessee court system) falls, where, exactly?
Posted: Jun 20, 2006 5:04 am

We ARE trying to save the Pippin!

God, how many months have we been saying it?

I don't want to see anything of value torn down -- the list includes the MidSouth Coliseum, Fairview School (on the national register) and most recently, the Hotel Chisca.

I would never advocate the demolition of something that anyone -- especially a child -- deems valuable. It is always a mystery to me when I see grown men destroying what is important to children, and believe me the Libertyland fiasco is only the latest in a long line of injustices I have witnessed during my lifetime, deeds perpetrated by powerful men against helpless children.

WWJD? What Would Jesus Demolish?
Posted: Jun 20, 2006 5:07 am

The decision falls under the LAW, as we are still a nation of laws, or so I hear. I know nothing about Judge Alissandratos, but I know all I need to know of Herenton to understand his motivations.

Perhaps he wishes to build a nice new parking garage on the former children's playland.
Posted: Jun 20, 2006 5:09 am

would never advocate the demolition of something that anyone -- especially a child -- deems valuable.
WWJD? What Would Jesus Demolish?
We ARE trying to save the Pippin!

God, how many months have we been saying it?

Jesus, will you just STOP IT? I see through your shit, and just tell me right now. What is your plan for the Pippin? Before it was just antagonism. But now, you're really starting to piss me off. WHAT IS YOUR PLAN? DO YOU FUCKING HAVE ONE?
Posted: Jun 20, 2006 5:11 am

Perhaps he wishes to build a nice new parking garage on the former children's playland.

O.k. I guess you have it under control. Go on with what you got.
Posted: Jun 20, 2006 5:14 am

I have no control over this outcome. We are doing what we have done for 8 months: going (again) before the city council (tomorrow at 9) and pleading the case before the Judge at 10:30.

Anything else?
Posted: Jun 20, 2006 5:15 am

Nevermind. You're on your own.
Posted: Jun 20, 2006 5:19 am

And get off the pipe, Dee. You can't read when you smoke that stuff.
Posted: Jun 20, 2006 5:19 am

Posted: Jun 20, 2006 5:29 am

"WWJD"

"They called me Tenacious D"

"It's 4:20 people, lighten up"

Dee, I don't know you, can't ever imagine wanting to meet you, and to be truthfull, you bother the shit out of me.

I'm still waiting to know what you really do to help the children of the city. The unfortunate ones who need mentoring. Anything?

Or is that kind of help not cool enough for you because you don't get recognition for it. No name in the news.
Posted: Jun 20, 2006 5:37 am

Is the re-vamped, saved Libertyland going to look anything like the rows and rows of free-Internet computers at the main library? That's what appears to be attracting Memphis' wayward youth. I can run through there and squirt them with a super-soaker if it'll make you feel any better about the waterpark void.

I'm sorry, but after my last trip to the zoo on free day, I've come to the conclusion that what some Memphis yoofs need most is the living shit kicked out of them. Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe they need jobs at Libertyland, in the blazing heat, making low scratch, pissed off, rubbing my cotton candy up and down their sweaty ass-cracks when I look down to count out my money.
Posted: Jun 20, 2006 5:41 am

all I can say is, it'll be a huge loss if the Pippin is torn down. Someone should kidnap the mayor, slap a jumpsuit and some 'chop sideburns on him, sneak him into Libertyland at midnight and make him ride the Zippin Pippin nonstop till he says he'll do anything to save it. I'm sure there's a kid somewhere who knows how to operate the thing. C'mon people, where's your imagination?
Posted: Jun 20, 2006 5:49 am

Check please!!!!!
Posted: Jun 20, 2006 6:25 am

WOW! What would Jesus Demolish? That was almost made me spit my YOOHOO all over the moniter.....

The shit is firewood already people. Give it up. They should build the biggest punk rock strip club ever in the place of the Libertyland. Or better yet, A "mall" if you will, with nothing but strip clubs in it! That way, when the kids grow up, they can have jobs! WHOO-HOO!

ANOTHER PROBLEM SOLVED BY DTRAIN!

Your welcome.
Posted: Jun 20, 2006 6:37 am | Edited by: elle

i think that if the city kept the pippen and the carousel and added those to the things that the kroc center would be potentially adding (skating rink, ice skating rink, basketball and baseball areas, a dog park, rec center, whatever) that it would be a pretty sweet deal.

quit hatin'. :) they're adding things to the land area where libertyland is supposed to be that are actually family oriented.i just think that they should utilize some of the old and integrate it with some of the new stuff. i think that a couple of amusement park rides would be great intermingled with some other, more useful things.

another thing that i was wondering, is the kroc center actually going to EMPLOY people, other than just a meager staff of counselors? are there going to be more than just volunteers manning the thing? if that's the case, they probably SHOULD be utilizing some sort of employment system.

besides, as far as libertyland being a huge employer? not really. they have only summer jobs available and those jobs DO NOT PAY WELL AT ALL. you'd be better off getting a summer job at mcdonalds, cuz at least they give benefits and they operate year round. (not like i'd work there, but it's an option for people...)

i don't think they should demolish the pippen though. they need to keep that, even if they don't run it. it's history, and sometimes you gotta hold on to some things that mean a lot to a city. imagine if we tore down everything and just replaced it with new? would we have anything left to remind ourselves of where we've been as a city?
Posted: Jun 20, 2006 7:08 am

exactly.
Posted: Jun 20, 2006 12:46 pm

We spoke with several teenagers from Orange Mound who loved working at Libertyland. Also, dozens of folks who've worked there for decades who loved their jobs. It wasn't these folks' fault that management was corrupt.

This year the Orange Mound teens are unable to find jobs, except for one girl who works at Captain D's.

Not that any of the Negators on this board give a shit!

You can all take a flying fuck at a rolling donut, as one of my favorite people once said.
Posted: Jun 20, 2006 12:49 pm

Orange Mound teens are unable to find jobs, except for one girl who works at Captain D's.

Where were you when they were trying to shut down the Captain D's at Poplar and Union Extd?
Posted: Jun 20, 2006 12:55 pm

Where were you when they were handing out brains?
Posted: Jun 20, 2006 3:41 pm

Dee, that's just a lie. By "several teens", do you mean four or five? There are summer jobs out there for teens.

I know when I go do a house in Orange Mound, I hire teens to cut the yards. Is that not summer work? And I work over there often.

It seems you don't care about helping anybody out except yourself.

Where the fuck were you when they shut down the YMCA on Lauderdale? A place where many inner city kids depended on going to get swimming lessons, or to participate in after school activities.

I guess since it was not a major news item, you figured it was not important enough for you to speak up on.

Or how about YO Memphis? Where the fuck were you when they decided there was no more funding to support it. I don't seem to remember seeing your name out there arguing for more funding to keep it open.

Atleast be up front about what you're really doing. This has nothing to do with saving kids from gangs or giving them summer jobs. So please stop feeding everybody that bullshit.

If it makes you feel like more of a person and makes you look like you're doing something for the kids in your own kids eyes because you have no life and nothing better to do, keep that shit at home and out of the public.

Please tell me you don't home school your children?
Posted: Jun 20, 2006 4:00 pm

Or is that kind of help not cool enough for you because you don't get recognition for it. No name in the news

And survey says...!!!! DING DING DING DING!!!!!!!
Posted: Jun 20, 2006 4:03 pm

I like jerryd more and more every day.

dee needs a holliday in Cambodi....
Posted: Jun 20, 2006 4:09 pm

another thing that i was wondering, is the kroc center actually going to EMPLOY people, other than just a meager staff of counselors? are there going to be more than just volunteers manning the thing? if that's the case, they probably SHOULD be utilizing some sort of employment system.

These centers will have full time, actual staff. All of the Salvation Army projects here are run as businesses. They aren't as slick as some places, but they are fulltime, full year jobs with benefits. I would imagine that there might be afternoon work for teens all year long as well as the summer work, as I can bet this place will end up a mecca for kidlets who don't have anywhere to go (except those free internet computers!)

Look at the bigger picture. A lot of these poor kids' parents don't have jobs. While I am all for kids having jobs, I think the family system starts with the parents who need gainful employment with benefits, not simply working at Rally's or a Tiger Mart for shite.
Posted: Jun 20, 2006 5:07 pm

Dee, I've just been assigned another house in the Orange Mound area. Give me those teens phone numbers that you talked to that can't find summer employment and I'll let them do yard work for me. 901-502-4544
Posted: Jun 20, 2006 7:52 pm

There's no such thing as "can't find a job". There is, however, a such thing as "won't find a job". Fuck 'em. I have no sympathy for any able-bodied teen (or anyone else) who has this sort of sense of entitlement -- it's as cancerous and contagious as racism.

The prescence or absence of a few hundred shitty summer jobs is utterly meaningless when you consider that this chunk of land will be put to use year-round providing sorely needed tax revenue for the city (and yes, a few Orange Mound kids may actually cross the tracks to seek employment there).

Let the ZP stand, and tear the rest of that ghetto shit down! Three Flags over Orange Mound is gonna die, like it or not.
Posted: Jun 20, 2006 9:17 pm

Fuck Libertyland! That place is emblematic is everything that sucks about Memphis!
Posted: Jun 20, 2006 9:23 pm | Edited by: Mark Rochambeaux

There, I said it! It's probably the only thing that truly embarrasses me about Memphis vis a vis other cities (like St. Louis, Nashville, etc.). It's an eyesore, and, like I said, it sucked!

I think the Zippin Pippin should be moved directly into the heart of Orange Mound, maybe right outside the Melrose football stadium. Or maybe it could be burned for firewood for those poor little urchins who lost their Libertyland jobs.

I must say, Dee, I'm pretty ambivalent on this whole thing (besides feeling strongly that Libertyland sucks), but something about you seems really to bother people. You think you're better than us, don't you?

It's like, I really want it all demolished just to foil you. Weird, eh?
Posted: Jun 20, 2006 10:06 pm

No injunction...sale to go forth tomorrow.
Posted: Jun 20, 2006 10:08 pm

Libertyland was on par in embarrassment with the Showboat MATA buses of the 80's.
Posted: Jun 20, 2006 10:08 pm | Edited by: elle

wow. maybe david gest will buy it and put it in his back and yard and lure young pool boys to come ride on the roller coaster with him.

"hey, i got something you can hold on to if you're scared..."
Posted: Jun 20, 2006 10:34 pm

err back and yard = backyard. bluh. i can't type.
Posted: Jun 20, 2006 11:10 pm

put it in his back and yard. Is that code talk for his balloon knot?
Posted: Jun 20, 2006 11:46 pm

but something about you seems really to bother people.

I saw the clip of Dee this afternoon on the TV, and it distilled what bothers me. On there whining about promises she made to her daughter that she'd be able to go to Libertyland in perpetuity for her birthday..it's just unseemly. First rule of parenting is DON'T MAKE ASININE PROMISES...especially those you have no control over. As a parent, and a 'good' parent, I just really resent the whole whining about the kids thing.
Posted: Jun 20, 2006 11:51 pm

Mother of Mary. That was not said. I am sure Action News 5 ate that up with a spoon.
Posted: Jun 21, 2006 12:21 am

Dee, trust me when I tell you the only child you let down is your own by promising something you had absolutely no control over.

Now if you'll excuse me I have to go promise my son that he'll be able to go to the moon on his next birthday.

And Dee, what happened to you today? I had work, in Orange Mound, and you never called back with those phone numbers of all the unemployed teenagers looking for a summer job. That was seven hours ago. It's such an important issue for you I would have thought you'd be all over it. Don't let the lack of news coverage scare you away from doing something worthwhile for these teens.
Posted: Jun 21, 2006 3:26 am

We spoke with several teenagers from Orange Mound who loved working at Libertyland

Exactly how many is "several"?

This year the Orange Mound teens are unable to find jobs, except for one girl who works at Captain D's.

Oh, I'm sorry. Apparently you've talked to EVERY TEENAGER IN ORANGE MOUND. Is that what you'd have us believe? Only one girl in all of Orange Mound has a job for the summer. You're an idiot.
Posted: Jun 21, 2006 4:35 am

fuck you dee
Posted: Jun 21, 2006 12:54 pm

Knock Knock
Posted: Jun 21, 2006 12:55 pm

Who's there?

Dee

Dee who?

Dee's nuts.
Posted: Jun 21, 2006 1:59 pm

"It's probably the only thing that truly embarrasses me about Memphis "

Mark....just wait until the big bass is put on top of the Pyramid.....that's gonna be class!
Posted: Jun 21, 2006 3:18 pm

Wait--they are putting a BASS on top of the Pyramid? The lit-up-at-night, swirling around kind of signage? Whoa.
Posted: Jun 21, 2006 5:50 pm

rickenbacker! headless!
Posted: Jun 21, 2006 6:11 pm

oops, i meant steinberger. duh.
Posted: Jun 21, 2006 6:22 pm

When your coming back home from a road trip and your driving through Arkansas, nothing says "I'm home!" like a Bass Pro Shop Pyramid with a big ol' bass on top.
Posted: Jun 21, 2006 6:26 pm

Hey Dee. I just drove by the fairgrounds and the auction is going on right now. Looks kind of fun.

I'm going to stop by and bid on the skee ball machines. Those things would be killer in my back yard!
Posted: Jun 21, 2006 6:43 pm

ATTN JACK STANDS!
Posted: Jun 21, 2006 6:45 pm

Holy Shit! THE SKEE BALL MACHINES!!!!

jerryd! Remove yourself from the computer immediately and put down bids now!!!
Posted: Jun 21, 2006 6:47 pm

Do they have one of those fast-talking auctioneers???? Get in there y'all! Get your son a cotton candy machine cheap. "Son, you will always have cotton candy for every birthday for as long as I am your daddy."
Posted: Jun 21, 2006 6:47 pm

Crap! I forgot about those.........
SAVE THE SKEEBALL MACHINES!
GET A LAWYER AND STOP THIS MADNESS!!!!
We must be crazy to let them auction those things off......Elvis thought about playing them.......
Posted: Jun 21, 2006 6:48 pm

I PLAY SKEE BALL, MOTHERFUCKING SKEE BALL!!!
Posted: Jun 21, 2006 7:16 pm

Somebody pick me up a Whack-A-Mole while you're down there!
Posted: Jun 21, 2006 7:23 pm

I'm at the auction right now $10 to get in; come see what's going on. They are over by the SeaDragon they are going around the park. They sold the Revolution already. There is a ton of neat shit!
Posted: Jun 21, 2006 7:29 pm

They sold the Revolution already.
One down, and some faux colonial villages to go. Somebody pick up one of those Model-T cars, too.
That's awesome!!!!

So, is it just open to see the goods right now? Is the auction today only? When does it end today? I'm totally serious about the Skee Ball games. I'd love to have one!
Posted: Jun 21, 2006 7:30 pm

How much did the Headache machine, er, Revolution go for?
Posted: Jun 21, 2006 7:37 pm

Did someone get the Ski Slope ride or whatever it is; the one with all the Cherry Pop Tart looking snow bunnies?
Posted: Jun 21, 2006 7:38 pm

The Skee Ball machines were already sold when I got here. The cars were one of the first things. The Revolution sold for $50,000!
Posted: Jun 21, 2006 7:39 pm | Edited by: Jack Stands

Tha Abominable Snowman or Yeti, or some such? The "Everybody ready to go BACKWARDS?" with any given Rock 103 song blaring ride?
Posted: Jun 21, 2006 7:43 pm

The Skee Ball machines were already sold when I got here. The cars were one of the first things. The Revolution sold for $50,000!
Holy Crap!!!

Well, truth is, I could get a Skeeball game from just about anywhere, and I don't care if it came from LL or not. $50,000, though! That's crazy! I bet it costs well above that, just to disassemble and move it. Do junk yards still pay for scrap metal by the pound?
Posted: Jun 21, 2006 7:45 pm | Edited by: fierydrunk

The "Everybody ready to go BACKWARDS?" with any given Rock 103 song blaring ride?

YES!

Joe Danger and I always called Foreigner "Everybody ready to go BACKWARDS!?!?!?!?!?"

The last time I wrote rode it, Notorious BIG was playing. Not the same effect.
Posted: Jun 21, 2006 8:02 pm

Awww...but the the kids! I saw them staring through the fence today with tears rolling down their eyes. Whatll they do??
Posted: Jun 21, 2006 8:35 pm

I saw them staring through the fence today with tears rolling down their eyes.

No you didn't! You were droppin that acid again, dude.
Posted: Jun 21, 2006 9:25 pm

Okay! Just got back from the auction.

Pippen sold for $2500.00

Wipeout- $90,000

Found the guys who bought the skeeball machines and am trying to work out a deal with them. Need to research and see what they're worth.

I'll let you know what they tell me they'll let them go for and post as soon as I can
Posted: Jun 21, 2006 9:27 pm

does Pippen = the Zippin Pippin?

and it sold for only $2500????

shit Jerry, you got that laying around in the cushions of your couch.
Posted: Jun 21, 2006 9:38 pm

I call it Pippen, because that was it's original name, and stayed that way until 1976, when, well, you know...

$2500? Complete Crazy! We could have pooled together and bought that thing!
Posted: Jun 21, 2006 9:41 pm

Pippin, sorry.
Posted: Jun 21, 2006 9:41 pm

Uh, EXCUSE ME!

I believe my demolition crew is ready to start paving the way for my new theme park (since I did buy the craphole), so lookout for Sarah Jessica Parker Playland soon! Kids , get ready to enter the raffle! One lucky winner will get to pour my apple martini's for a whole 30 minutes! Just think, your first (and last) 30 minutes of semi-fame standing behind a truly famous person. ME! Where's Pepe with my pooch Snookums? I want him to see the exciting bulldoozers! Pepe!...Oh Pepe!

Buy My Perfume!
Posted: Jun 21, 2006 10:21 pm | Edited by: J Cutler

my guess is it's a typo. or hell, I'm sure whoever bought will have to pay to dismantle and haul it as well, so maybe nobody wanted the headache.
Posted: Jun 21, 2006 10:26 pm

Uh, HELLO??? I sold it to Mongo for firewood sillies!!!!

By My Perfume!
Posted: Jun 21, 2006 10:27 pm

Yeah, looking forward to seeing what the final tally is. I imagine the cost of dismantling/hauling (to a new park, or to the junk metal dealer) for the Revolution has got to be between $150,000 to $250,000 at least. Probably way more than that...

It's funny, but for some reason, I halfway expect Bellvue Baptist Church to have bought it to complete Six Flags over Jesus...

Your faith must be this tall to ride the rides...
Posted: Jun 21, 2006 10:42 pm

What is Wipeout???/
Posted: Jun 21, 2006 10:48 pm

I love you guys.
Posted: Jun 21, 2006 10:53 pm

Wipeout is the machine( directly across from the skeeball palace) that spins forward, backwards, tilts really high in the air all while blasting some heavy metal. I always seem to remember Ratt and Motley Crue being played on that thing. Had the sirens that went off as well when they put it in reverse.

Jack Stands: What do you think is a reasonable price to offer for a skeeball machine?
Posted: Jun 21, 2006 11:02 pm

Wipeout = Tilt-a-whirl...

Depending on age, wear, and functionality, anywhere from $300 to $2,000. New, they are about $5,000.
Posted: Jun 21, 2006 11:04 pm

The Vomit Ride? The Scrambler?
Posted: Jun 21, 2006 11:09 pm

Depending on age, wear, and functionality, anywhere from $300 to $2,000. New, they are about $5,000.

Saw a couple on ebay, Jack. Refurbs. One was $1750, the other was $1900.
Posted: Jun 21, 2006 11:10 pm

The Vomit Ride? The Scrambler?
Vomit Ride = The Octopus
The Scrambler = Mucho Fun
Wipeout = Giant, Round Cage you stand in that spins fairly fast, then raises the floor to about 50 degrees (and truly is a horrible thing if anyone upchucks at that point).
Posted: Jun 21, 2006 11:12 pm

Refurbs. One was $1750, the other was $1900.

I've seen working refurbs for a grand, but, depending on the work/antiquiness of it, you could fetch that...
Were there any bids on those?
Posted: Jun 21, 2006 11:14 pm

Those are "buy it now" prices. They were in the "ebay stores" section, so i don't guess they're really auctions.
Posted: Jun 21, 2006 11:56 pm

I made this guy a reasonable offer for a skeeball machine. He has yet to call me back.

Oh Jack Stands, you'll hate this.

Guess what he bought 16 skeeball machines for? .......................................... $ 100.00!!!

That's right. a lot of 16 for a hundred bucks! It almost made me sickwhen I found out.

Not a hundred each. A hundred in all!
Posted: Jun 22, 2006 12:01 am

Like, TODAY? The guy bought the skee ball machines for a hundred bucks from Libertyland??

Oh my. There's going to be some wailing and gnashing of teeth tonight.

Jack, hon, calm down.
Posted: Jun 22, 2006 12:21 am

jerryd, let him know there are others lookin' too.

And for the record for everyone...
Never. Ever, ever. Never, take John3of4 to negotiate buying anything.
Posted: Jun 22, 2006 12:21 am

Yeah, this all went down today. I'm hoping he'll call back later. If not, I'm going to call him back in the morning. I'm ready to give him some money and pick the thing up.

I told him I had some friends interested in purchasing some as well( Mr. Stands) so let's hope he just gets rid of them because he does not want to move them.
Posted: Jun 22, 2006 12:37 am

Never. Ever, ever. Never, take John3of4 to negotiate buying anything.

I once purchased a Sequential Circuits Pro One mint condition for one hundred dollars American, so cram it!
Posted: Jun 22, 2006 12:37 am | Edited by: Jack Stands

jerryd, I'll e-mail you when I get back from practice. If you hear from him, holler.

$6.25 per. Fucking a. Gnashing of teeth, indeed.
Posted: Jun 22, 2006 12:39 am

for one hundred dollars American, so cram it!

Shit. That probably means you could have got it for $20.
Posted: Jun 22, 2006 12:40 am

Hey, John3of4, you wanna play poker sometime?
Posted: Jun 22, 2006 12:44 am

AAAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

I'm so pissed I didn't go and get there early this morning.

Fuck.

Arcade next to bar for bands would have been in hand!

Memphis Venture Capitalists, e-mail me!
Posted: Jun 22, 2006 12:44 am

Last time I try to help out a brotha wearing my grandma's quilt for a shirt.
Posted: Jun 22, 2006 8:59 am

Revolution sold for $8,000.

It cost the taxpayers $1.75 million to construct.

Bond debt was forgiven to the MidSouth Fair, but forgiveness did not confer ownership.

Mayor Herenton and Judge Alissandratos were both wrong about the Libertyland auction, albeit for different reasons.

Libertyland is dead. Long Live Libertyland!
Posted: Jun 22, 2006 1:02 pm

So what are they going to do with the land, put up a Target or something?

Man, I hate Target.
Posted: Jun 22, 2006 1:14 pm

UH, EXCUSE ME???!!!

If you look about 15 posts behind you Mister BEAUX, you will see EXACTLY what is to become of "ye ol trailerpark theme world" or whatever you people call it. Da-da-da-daaaaaaa....SARAH JESSICA PARKER PLAYLAND! Mister BEAUX, I assure you, you are gonna LOVE SJP Playland! There's gonna be apple martini's , and the Karma Sutra Ferris Wheel, and a floor show at 10pm EVERY NIGHT! No screamin brats, cause it's 18 and up folks. Tix are only $30 bucks each, and apple martinis are just $2 (count 'em) 2 bucks! Now even Pepe the wonder servant can afford that!

"ye ol trailerpark theme world" is dead! Long live SJP Playland!

Buy my perfume!
Posted: Jun 22, 2006 1:45 pm

WONDER ASSISSTANT! ....ASSISSTANT.... Freakin...pc lawsuit....PEPE THE WONDER ASSISSTANT. My bad.....jeeesh...
Posted: Jun 22, 2006 2:02 pm

Wow. $8000? I got there late and they said it went for $50,000. I thought that seemed high considering the cost of dismantling and moving the thing.

If I can get a skeeball machine I may open "Libertyland 2" in my basement. Much cheaper and a lot less people. I may even make corn dogs and funnel cakes.

Dee, does this mean you will be fighting for a more worthy cause involving the children of our city or is this the last we'll be hearing from you?
Posted: Jun 22, 2006 3:22 pm

Revolution sold for $8,000.

It cost the taxpayers $1.75 million to construct.

This is pretty much par for the course in Memphis city business dealings--I can't believe that bunk rollercoaster cost that much money. If you were in Memphis, Dee, in 1978 you would have heard a huge collective groan of disappointment from thousands of school age children after all the hype of how great the Revolution was going to be and it was lame!
Posted: Jun 22, 2006 3:27 pm

hey did anyone see what my KISS pinball machine i loaned to libertyland went for?
Posted: Jun 22, 2006 3:41 pm

Check the CA for the whole article:

Overhearing the auction company introduce a salad bar, "sneeze-guard and all," group founder Denise Parkinson quipped, "I guess we should start an effort to save the sneeze-guards."

Save Libertyland's Mike McCarthy shot footage for his documentary on the park's demise.

"I think we've got an ending," he said. "A bad one."
Posted: Jun 22, 2006 8:16 pm

I can't believe the Pippin was only $2500! Does anyone know who bought it?
Posted: Jun 22, 2006 8:22 pm

Some Nashville boys who just wanted to buy one of the cars.
Posted: Jun 22, 2006 8:27 pm

They are looking for someone who wants the whole thing. They'd likely give it away at this point if they'd help with dismantling as all they want is the car. Dee?
Posted: Jun 22, 2006 8:28 pm

I told you. She's busy getting ready for Sundance.
Posted: Jun 22, 2006 8:30 pm

Jesus Christ. I just read the article. Someone needs to help those guys preserve it somehow. I feel sorry for them, because now it's their responsibility. Who's gonna help save the Pippin? Who? Goddammit, I can't believe they let it be auctioned!! That's so STUPID!! It's the second-oldest rollercoaster in the country!
Posted: Jun 22, 2006 9:00 pm

OK, I just contacted Steve Gzesh of ACEonline.org, a preservation society for old wooden coasters. I sent him an email about it, and I've been told he's good about checking it and responding, so we'll see. The guys who bought it have probably already contacted him, but you never know.
Posted: Jun 22, 2006 9:25 pm

triple-posting to say I have just contacted NAPHA as well.
Posted: Jun 22, 2006 9:27 pm

(National Amusement Park Historical Association)
Posted: Jun 22, 2006 10:05 pm

just heard back from someone at NAPHA. He said their legal counsel has already contacted the new owners to see what assistance NAPHA can offer them.
Posted: Jun 22, 2006 10:06 pm

corndog lovelady jr > dee
Posted: Jun 22, 2006 10:09 pm

huh?
Posted: Jun 22, 2006 10:09 pm

it's a mathematical expression.
Posted: Jun 22, 2006 10:11 pm

I thought I got your meaning, but wasn't sure.
Posted: Jun 22, 2006 10:12 pm

If you need help, holler.

You're not making a movie, or anything, are you?
Posted: Jun 22, 2006 10:14 pm

In the meantime, jerryd! Did you hear back from the Skeeball moguls?
Posted: Jun 22, 2006 10:17 pm

Thanks, Jack.

I'm not making a movie, but I'm not against anyone who is. I think it's great that Mike's making a movie about it. Maybe it's ridiculous to tie all this in to Iraq, but what do you expect from JMM? His heart is in the right place. He truly loves Memphis history and anything related to The King.
Posted: Jun 22, 2006 10:19 pm

I just talked to jerry, and he said he hadn't heard back from the skeeball guy yet.
Posted: Jun 22, 2006 10:22 pm

Cool, thanks. And as for JMM, no, I understand. We disagree on that on stance but he's a pretty neat dude. I respect your fresh.
Posted: Jun 22, 2006 11:04 pm

Who's making that movie? Mike Mccarthy or Michael Moore?
Posted: Jun 22, 2006 11:08 pm

oh, and re-reading my post up there, I realize I wasn't clear: NAPHA was already aware of the situation before I contacted them and had already talked to the guys.
Posted: Jun 22, 2006 11:10 pm

wouldn't that be a great collaboration? Mike & Mike. They could call themselves MM & MM.
Posted: Jun 22, 2006 11:12 pm | Edited by: Jack Stands

For what it's worth, I sent an e-mail to herenton the other night. I made sure to completely mis-spell his name, too...

Mayor Herrington,
Thank you for reviewing my e-mail. I know you get thousands of e-mails everyday, so I'll try to be brief and true. I am not concerned one bit by the attempts to save Libertyland. Frankly, I am not a fan of it, and have no desire to see it's continuance as neither an eyesore, nor a "reconstruction" proposed by the current "Save Libertyland" group.

I do, however, care about the Pippin (so named, prior to Libertyland's involvement in 1976). I have lived in Memphis since 1972. I first lived in Raleigh, then my parents moved to Cordova in 1979. I purchased a house in Memphis (in the Grahamwood area), because I wanted my son to get the best possible education he could, as well as my wife and I enjoying what this city has to offer.

I beseech you, sir. I beg of you to do what you can with the Mid-South Fair folks to save the Pippin, due to it's historical importance. I'm sure you have been inundated with the "Save Libertyland" ilk (and I, frankly deplore the notion that "Colonial Town" and "Frontier Village" are relevant or useful as a "park"). I won't throw the details at you. But that roller coaster has been around since the 1920's in Memphis. It's one of the original five wooden coasters in the country. As for Elvis' favorite ride? Well everyone knows Elvis liked girls in cotton panties, too. Couldn't care less about what Elvis liked.
There is so much more to love about Memphis than Elvis. It's our history. I took my 6-year old boy down to the river Saturday. I showed him all the parks. He especially loved the story behind Tom Lee Park, and why it was there. My boy loves old stories. I'd like him to know about the Pippin, and get to ride one of the scariest rides on the planet. Someday.

Thank you for your time and consideration,

Posted: Jun 22, 2006 11:14 pm

nice letter.
Posted: Jun 22, 2006 11:30 pm

You should have said, "I beseech thee, fair King" He responds better when he is imagining he is royalty.
Posted: Jun 22, 2006 11:31 pm

I totally thought "white cotton panties" was my "in".
Posted: Jun 22, 2006 11:59 pm

Oh, Kings like white cotton panties. Know dis.
Posted: Jun 23, 2006 12:14 am

One of the guys who bought the Pippin is the bass player for the Mavericks.
Posted: Jun 23, 2006 12:32 am

I'm pretty sure Elvis liked girls in no panties.
Posted: Jun 23, 2006 12:33 am

The Dallas Mavericks have a bass player?
Posted: Jun 23, 2006 12:37 am

bass player

sp-ass player
Posted: Jun 23, 2006 9:16 pm

Steve Shutts is great! We had a party Wednesday night (his partner had to head back to Nashville.) The consensus was that they've both got a big soul, a big heart, and a big love for Memphis history!

Save the Pippin!
Posted: Jun 24, 2006 1:02 am

hey dee, do you know if they've made a deal with NAPHA yet? what'a the latest?
Posted: Jun 24, 2006 1:03 am

what's the latest, rather...
Posted: Jun 24, 2006 2:17 am

The preservationists are gathering their options, thank goodness.

The Midsouth Fair sure proved they know how to lose a buck!

City administration proved they know nothing about promoting tourism.

There's a show at the Orpheum Thursday June 29 dedicated to the preservation of the historic Grand Carousel, a bunch of young people are doing original music, choreography, there's an art auction.

It's called Echoes of Truth: "Carousel Memories."
Posted: Jun 24, 2006 2:36 am

that's cool.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®