Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / Hank the Y A D sound man......discuss
Posted: Jun 9, 2006 7:51 pm

your thoughts here.....
Posted: Jun 9, 2006 8:52 pm

He called me a cunt, spit on me, and hit me one night, because he was angry that the show was running behind, when I brought in Rosco Gordon, the Bo-Keys, Rev Gatemouth Moore, plus others, for a concert that was filmed for that PBS Scorsese series on the Blues.

The Memphis episode turned out the be one of the only good ones, but I digress.

I don't go to the deli any longer, unless it's a show I am DYING to see (think I ventured in for Dan Rose's show, and that's it in the last 3 or 4 years).
Posted: Jun 9, 2006 9:11 pm

I know what brought this up Golightly. I think he is just jealous cause Lee can play circles around him. I have never liked playing at the Deli and until the other night I haven't been in there in probablly 7 months. It's a gigantic meat locker date rape fest with bad sound. Period. I'm cool with Hank but he never runs sound for me.
I could see this thread getting lengthy.
I'd love to hear Eric O's thoughts.
Posted: Jun 9, 2006 9:13 pm

it would take the Jimi Hendrix Experience playing there to get me to step foot in that place.
Posted: Jun 9, 2006 9:16 pm

I could not believe what I was hearing last night.....I've known Hank and have been cool with him too.....never been impressed with his mixing ablilities......but he doesn't realize how close to a MAJOR ass whipping he almost got the other night for the very same thing.
I have done more than scratch the surface on this problem and am finding HORROR stories of him pushing people around and just being a dickhead....to the point where some REALLY good bands will NEVER play there again.....and they are telling their friends in other really good bands to avoid that place altogether.......his attitude towards the bands that are PAYING HIS FUCKIN' SALARY is ridiculous to say the least.
If someone from YAD reads this board....you got a real problem in Hank.

Be VERY careful who you call a pussy Hank. I'm telling you this for your own good.......You have no idea how close you came .......no idea
Posted: Jun 9, 2006 9:17 pm | Edited by: Jack Stands

I haven't been there in years, so I don't even know who's doing sound. Curiously, the Memphis Taper's Group (which doesn't really do that much taping) seems to have a slogan of "Boycott the Young Avenue Deli!". It's tough as hell to find a decent spot in there to record with the PA facing the brick walls, but I've done it.
Posted: Jun 9, 2006 9:19 pm

What happened?
Posted: Jun 9, 2006 9:26 pm

I think the bottom line is that Tiger doesn't really care about local shows in there other than the N.M. Allstars and Lucero. That place is packed with folks every night regardless. Hank is neglecting the fact that if these bands quit playing there, he won't have a job anymore. I seriously doubt he would be able to get another job in mid-town. I don't hate the guy like many folks I know but he needs to retire from the Memphis nightclub scene.
Posted: Jun 9, 2006 9:42 pm

Memphis Tapir Club? I'm in!

Hank bonked me on the head with a big (BIG) roll of duct tape when i was drunkenly trying to get Seiji's guitar back from him after he took it as ransom for Seiji dropping a mic at the Guitar Wolf show at the Arcade what, 12 years ago... that didn't make me too happy.

Stories of him playing theramin at the soundboard along with bands...

James & Dlana were buds with him. I don't really have anything to do with him. I'm sure Jay actually has a lot of Hank stories.

Last time I was in the Deli was to see David Cross... can it be? Mouserocket maybe? Other than getting a cheeseburger or visiting with Chuck Vicious or Bobby Saucier...

Tiger's mom has some good estate sales.
Posted: Jun 9, 2006 10:05 pm

We got a little rowdy one night at the hi-tone when he happened to be working the sound.

If I remember correctly, it was halloween night about four or five years ago and some Jeff Evans project was playing, and Yvonne and I, in a very drunken state, decided it would be a good idea to start a cake fight with the band. So as cake was being thrown and tossed back in the crowd, some of the microphones got covered in icing, and if my memory serves me right, the show lasted about three songs and then hank lost his shit.

Now don't get me wrong. We fucked up and he had a right to be mad. But what was funny was when he started yelling at us about getting icing on the mic's, I said " Here, I'll clean these off" and proceeded to wipe one down, thus pushing the icing further inside. He lost his shit and acted like he was going to hit me over the head with it, all while yelling that the mic's cost $ 600 each. Which led me to tell him " wow, I could have gotten these for $ 40. Easy.

The great part about it was a friend of mine said he was talking to him a few weeks later and hank told him some guy with Buddy Holly glasses fucked up his microphones. That's pretty funny.

But the dickhead thing I saw him do was when DMBQ played the deli and the bass player went to hang off the speaker from the ceiling, and Hank grabbed a pool stick and broke it over the table and ran up front and held it to the guys throat. Needless to say that was the last song they played.
Posted: Jun 9, 2006 10:14 pm

I gotta say from a sound guys perspective, from these 2 examples I might have done the same thing. Dissrespecting a clubs gear is like porking your best friends girl. When I see bands play at the Hi-Tone and somebody thinks they need to throw the mics down or stand on or jump off the monitors, they don't deserve to play in a club period. When you deal with this day in and day out, you tend to lose it. Like I said, he needs to retire.
Posted: Jun 9, 2006 10:24 pm

can't speak as to the sound issue, but i was taking pics at a show and he evidently needed to get something from under the stage near where i was standing. he didn't say a word, or give any indication i was in the way - just walked up and shoved me over. I nearly dropped the camera. luckily i didn't fall or i would have been very, very pissed. i try not to go to shows there now.
Posted: Jun 9, 2006 10:24 pm

First and foremost, what does "porking" mean?

Oh shit, I admit it was wrong. He probably should have kicked my ass. I would have

But breaking a pool stick and acting like you're going to stab someone in the throat with it is a little uncalled for. There are other ways to take care of business with out pulling that kind of shit.
Posted: Jun 9, 2006 10:55 pm | Edited by: Golightly

Buck has it right....if he can't deal with the aggro in a civil manner and he wants to hit women and spit on them and call the cunts......yeah....it's time to go home
Posted: Jun 9, 2006 11:47 pm

I'm not sure what specifically you guys talking about from last night, but when I was playing there Wednesday night, we felt like we were just getting started and Hank told us we could only play two more songs. Of course, we played three. That seems to happen everytime I'm onstage there. After we got done I noticed a lot less people in there, and a lot more people across the street at Dish. Hmmm.

I never know what the hell it sounds like in there. I think it's too fucking loud.
Posted: Jun 9, 2006 11:51 pm

what does "porking" mean?

"sexual relations"
Posted: Jun 10, 2006 12:33 am

I'm a Christian Republican. Don't know a lot of slang words for fucking. Thanks.
Posted: Jun 10, 2006 12:51 am

You still haven't told us...what happened the other night?
Posted: Jun 10, 2006 5:11 am

here's what happened. on wednesday night we were playing the deli as part of a benefit for a documentary being made by one of the employees. a backline(drums, amps etc.) was provided for the bands to use since there were six bands. no problem. our new drummer, lee,wanted to use his own kit. i asked hank and he said, " it all pays the same. i'll roll w/ the flow." then went and told our drummer it was really more like "fucking a dry pussy w/ a sore dick."? anyway, he let us do our thing. immediately afterward he told lee to take get his drums out of the club. well the front door was blocked w/ a stage and equipment being used to film the show. so, like every other band that night, we opted to put the equipment in the smoke shop. this made hank mad so he called lee a pussy. i approached him and asked why he did this and he very threatiningly told me to get out of his face. now, i've known hank for a second. he's been more than cool in the past. even let me borrow his ryder truck to move once. but when he drinks 5012 beers and runs sound for five hours he becomes "hank : the angry drunken soundman." i'll even go so far as to say that he's kind of like your drunk uncle. he might say and do some rude shit when he's wasted but that doesn't necessarily mean he hates you or doesn't respect you. in fact, under any other circumstance i think he would have much respect for lee's immense talent. so, maybe he shouldn't drink and run sound.
Posted: Jun 10, 2006 7:43 am

let it also be noted that when this happened on wed. i was ready to sprang on his fuckin head. i'm trying to be more level headed now. however, the fact that he hit any one of you, especially you ladies, is simply unforgivable.
Posted: Jun 10, 2006 10:11 am

I don't know how I missed this. Oh wait, I know. I was outside talking to some guy who thought we should have a singer. I had to go to a party tonight to even notice this happened. I feel stupid.
Posted: Jun 10, 2006 10:12 am

And, oh yeah. I really hope we don't have to play there again.
Posted: Jun 10, 2006 12:23 pm

The night Andria mentioned had to be one of the worst incidents I saw take place with Hank. Andria had brought a really great show in, and he ruined it by not only hitting her and Scott Bomar with a ladder, he dropped Andy Grooms piano off the side of the stage. I had only met Andria a few times, and to this day I don't think I could apologize enough for his actions. Having booked a lot of the bands that playe at YAD from 2001-2004, I did more than my fair share of apologizing for Hank. He just never could grasp the fact that the bands paid his salary, and yet it became harder to get people to comeback and play if Hank was running the sound. We were lucky enough to have Martin comeback for a while, and I had him do most of the shows for bands that Hank had pissed off. He finally apologized to Tiger and myself , and said he would start doing shows sober. This didn't last long. This coupled with the lack of interest in doing shows for the local crowd hastened my departure from the YAD. Andria, please accept my apologies again for that awful night. So many good memories, so many horror stories because of Hank.
Posted: Jun 10, 2006 12:32 pm

Let me correct myself from the last post. Hanks poor attitude towards bands, and Tiger's lack of interest in having the local bands play helped cause my departure. I enjoyed greatly getting to work with so many great bands, and people while I was at the Deli. Tiger never understood that our crowd at the time was friends with so many of these bands, and that I booked shows for our crowd not him. I don't know what the place is like now. I've only been to a handful of shows there in the last couple of years. If any of you guys ever need a show in Little Rock you should check out the White Water Tavern. Kinda of like a Buccaneer on steroids.
Posted: Jun 10, 2006 11:19 pm

Any show I was ever involved with there or any record I made turn in that building involved you Todd. The good old days. You really did keep that place together.
Posted: Jun 10, 2006 11:44 pm

Thank you for taking your time to come in and brighten the place up. Thanks for the kind words. Those Soul nights you've been putting on sound outrageous, unfortunately I live in Little Rock now. You sholud talk with George from the Monkey. One of his best friends from college just opened a new 800 seat room over here, and that type of show would go over large here. Believe it or not, people go to see every show here. Not much else to do! His name is Chris and he owns Sticky Fingers and now Revolution. Most of the shows at Stickys are Hi-Tone, YAD type shows. In case you can't tell, I'm missing all the great bands back home, and it would be nice to see some of them get this way more often. Only 2 hours, and I'll flyer my ass off......
Posted: Jun 11, 2006 4:17 am

Hey Tood Jay'tard here.....Good to hear from you whats your email for booking....
Posted: Jun 11, 2006 6:50 am

i would also like to know todd.

justicenatchez@yahoo.com
Posted: Jun 11, 2006 8:47 am

Todd -- thanks so much for the kind words. you were always a bright spot at the deli, and I hadn't realized that you'd ended up in LR. what really pissed me off about that situation -- aside from the fact that hank broke andy's piano, and that rosco died a few weeks later -- was the fact that tiger or mike never, ever bothered to apologize to me. I am friends with mike today and have just put that situation aside, but that's extremely bad business...

to this day, I still wish I would've fallen to the floor and screamed my bloody head off until the cops came... maybe I made a big mistake by sucking it in and thinking that the show must go on -- but what a great show it was...

I didn't even go to the two way because tiger owned it. my biggest dilemma now is that I love soul fish. I guess bygones will be bygones, but I very rarely walk into the deli.
Posted: Jun 11, 2006 9:36 am

Rosco Gordon, the Bo-Keys, Rev Gatemouth Moore, plus others, for a concert that was filmed for that PBS Scorsese series on the Blues.

Andria, please tell me this happened when I was too young to attend.
Posted: Jun 11, 2006 8:34 pm

My email is
Posted: Jun 11, 2006 8:50 pm

My email is tdudley1@comcast.net. I think Fletcher is still booking Vino's, Chris King is the guy who is friends with George, and he books both Sticky Fingers and Revolution. The White Water Tavern would be perfect for all you Goners, and Ben Nichols would have the hookup on getting booked there. One of the girls I work with has a boyfriend who owns a Metal/Punk bar, but I have never been there. Not sure if Chuck V. played there or not. If I can help anyone out with a show or promotion let me know. Andria you rock. I'll be home in a couple of weeks, and hopefully see some of ya'll at a show.
Posted: Jun 11, 2006 11:39 pm

so, maybe he shouldn't drink and run sound. Did you mean "or"?

What I'm hearing is...so long as Hank doesn't start to cook at Soulfish, everyone's cool with the present set-up, right? Judging by this board alone, Hank is probably costing the Deli a couple hundred g's a year. He must be a helluva sound man!

Seriously, this negativity does no one any good. Let's accentuate the positive: what a fucking nice guy & great soundman Joel is, and for that matter, the whole crew at the Hi Tone. I've been going to shows in this town for 24 years now, and the current Hi Tone group is the coolest & friendliest I've ever seen at any club in this city. I guess that's why they are getting all the good shows. For all the Deli haters, keep in mind that the Deli's insouciance, attitude, & long beer lines has allowed the bucc, murphy's, & hi tone to thrive.
Posted: Jun 11, 2006 11:52 pm

Yay Joel!!!
Posted: Jun 11, 2006 11:56 pm

For all the Deli haters, keep in mind that the Deli's insouciance, attitude, & long beer lines has allowed the bucc, murphy's, & hi tone to thrive.

Here here!

I remember when Nicola Conte was about THIS close to walking off the stage due to sound/monitor problems at the Deli. Not sure if that was hank running sound, but I have a feeling. ... I was embarrassed for my city and country that night ...
Posted: Jun 12, 2006 12:04 am

Seriously, this negativity does no one any good.

ahh, but it does! just like you said, this is why the bucc, murphy's, and hi tone get shows!

and not to cross threads, but if we say "support your local scene" no matter what, this kinda crap gets glossed over. be negative towards the stuff that ain't right!

thanks to the folks who make the stuff work- it ain't easy, night after night. I've been blown away by the enthusiasm joel- or quinn for that matter- bring to a show & how much of a difference that can make.
Posted: Jun 12, 2006 12:08 am

Posted: Jun 12, 2006 12:20 am

the current Hi Tone group is the coolest & friendliest I've ever seen at any club in this city.

But don't cross us or we'll take you next door to Circle K and knock your ass out!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86q6rckWO28
Posted: Jun 12, 2006 12:40 am

i still can't see what knocked that guy out.
Posted: Jun 12, 2006 12:46 am

woah when was that from? and what did he hit him with?
Posted: Jun 12, 2006 12:47 am

I think it was some Chris Walker promo action.
Posted: Jun 12, 2006 12:51 am

looks like he didn't need much help falling over...
Posted: Jun 12, 2006 2:16 am

It was the tap to the face and one of Scott's mixed drinks.
Posted: Jun 12, 2006 2:40 am

Andrew/Buck did a great job running sound last night. and Joel is always reliably fantastic. now if the Hi-Tone could just do something about their ventilation/air conditioning...
Posted: Jun 12, 2006 3:40 am

let's not forget pho hoa binh. i don't know any other venue that feeds the band AND the crowd. plus, i've never heard Hung aim any vaginal slang at a band. i don't think...
Posted: Jun 12, 2006 4:12 am

now if the Hi-Tone could just do something about their ventilation/air conditioning...
never a truer word spoken!!
Posted: Jun 12, 2006 4:44 am

I'm way jealous of the light system at Pho Hoa Binh! (the spring rolls too).

The ventilation "problem" is the best marketing strategy ever. The sweatier you get, the more you have to drink.

Seriously, you are all very kind to us at the Hi-Tone. It should be against the law to have so much good rock in one place, or to have such a nice group of people to work with.

Hank is a good guy, but it's a serious reminder that live sound is a piss-poor carreer path. (in other words, buy my custom guitars so I can fucking quit already)
Posted: Jun 12, 2006 5:13 am

You are a wise man Mr. Graetinger. Running sound ain't all it's cracked up to be.

Don't expect Hank to be asked to resign from the deli anytime soon, Tiger got his start in business world selling bud he stole from Hank. He is like a drunken uncle with the bad jokes, inattentive-ness, and short fuse. He can be a savage, but he does a good job of fixing B3s.

Hey Todd! Glad to see you're still popping in on the board.

By the way that kid's getting knocked out by the imfamous Carwash (if I don't make it shine you don't give me a dime) and one-eyed bill's in the background.
Posted: Jun 12, 2006 6:49 am

one-eyed bill

I call that guy "Magic Sal." It was a Pizza Cafe thang.
Posted: Jun 12, 2006 1:45 pm

The purpose was not to get Hank fired or resign.....it's just to let him know the obvious.....that if he keeps this kind of behaviour up he will cross the wrong guy or girl and someone will do him great harm.
I think it was big of Leh not to knock him out.....I don't know if I could have kept a cool head in the same situation.
Posted: Jun 12, 2006 2:23 pm

I'm still glad I missed all that shit. I'd have wanted to knock him out with Leh and JB! I love the Hi-tone...and Murphy's...and the Buccaneer...and Pho Hoa Binh. I've always had fun playing in those joints. The Deli is consistently strange. We'll leave it at that.
Posted: Jun 13, 2006 4:00 am

DAMN!!! We need to hire Carwash as our new doorguy. Maybe he'd run Morris the Taxman off.
Posted: Jun 13, 2006 9:12 am

It was the tap to the face and one of Scott's mixed drinks.

I've seen many a man hit the ground without even the tap to the face.
Posted: Jun 13, 2006 5:35 pm

oh, that was me, scott.
Posted: Jun 13, 2006 5:39 pm

I've seen many a man hit the ground without even the tap to the face.
I think I can honestly say, you've only served me beer. And catfish.
I will make it a point to order a cocktail, next time you tend...
Posted: Jun 13, 2006 11:31 pm

oh wait, no. . . .that wasn't scott's fault. he just poors beers down your pants.. that was YOU joel! god, how many more blows to the head can i take??
Posted: Jun 14, 2006 2:32 am

No comment.
Posted: Jun 14, 2006 2:34 am

I got in trouble just for being nearby and laughing.
Posted: Jun 14, 2006 6:05 am

two different instances.

God, i should really think about moving to a new neighborhood.
Posted: Jun 14, 2006 6:13 am

NEW SPAIN!!!
Posted: Jun 14, 2006 7:39 pm

Tiger here and I would love to respond to each point individually if I could. There has been quite a list of accusations on behalf of my club and my staff so I'll only respond to as many as I can and if anyone feels as though I have glanced over any important one's I will resond if you email me directly. The incident with JB's band the other night involved what turns out to be one of my best friends nephew (LEE/ARTHUR/LYNDALE) the young man that Hank was a prick to. Anyway I will be taking this up with Hank personally but I would like to point out that the only reason it was brought to my attention is because my friend called me not JB, Lee or anybody else.

Andria I apologize to you now but don't even know if we have officially met. I was out of town during the show you were involved with and as Todd Dudley will confirm he and I both sat Hank down and basically explained to him that his mood swings and behavior were unacceptable and would no longer be tolerated and to many band members and my staff Hank did fly right for quite a while. Had I known Hank purposely hit you that evening I personally would have encouraged you to press charges and Hank would no longer be a party to my business.

Buck Wilders I don't know who you are but you have no idea how I feel about local or start up music. If I despise it so much I could save a hell of a lot of money by cancelling the On the Road Series that I pay all expenses out of pocket to provide a free show and help expose traveling bands to the market. As for the Deli being a Date Rape place read the newspaper several midtown restaurants and clubs have been having problems with this mine is not one of them so please don't make generalizations like that unless once again you are a party to something that hasn't been brought to my attention or any of my staff.

In general Hank's job is to keep the clubs P.A. and some of his personal gear in working condition for bands to use not abuse. You would be amazed at the absolute disrespect that some bands show equipment that is not theirs. If I treated someone's guitar, bass or drums the way they treat my equipment they would be bitching equally as bad, that being said accidents do happen and a vast majority of bands exercise care and appreciation for our equipment.

Quinn even if your comments about my start in the business world were meant as a joke they weren't appreciated. Any weed Chris, Hank's son and I stole from Hank in high school was stolen strictly for personal use because he always had better weed than we did. Keeping in mind I am probably 15 years older than you don't make comments about me that you simply couldn't have been a party to. I don't do drugs and vigorously try to keep them out of my club (except the occasional weed for medicinal purposes).

Hank is human and yes he can be a prick but I know there are people on this board that have positive things to say about Hank and his generosity. If you DO NOT want Hank to run sound for your show let us know as early as possible in the booking process and we will accomodate your wishes. Sound quality at the DELI is what it is brick and glass. Insurance regulations are moving towards putting me out of the band business all together unless things change quickly because of the Rhode Island club fire.

Any of my staff including Hank is not above being fired per the Uncle comment, but I will tell you if there is an incident with any of my staff bring it to the attention of me or a manager as soon as possible and I promise you it will be dealt with.

I truly apologize for those that feel as though the Deli Staff or myself have offended but we do try and continue to maintain a fun safe place to meet with friends, eat, drink and listen to great local and national music.

Tiger
Owner
Young Ave Deli
tiger@youngavenuedeli.com
Posted: Jun 14, 2006 7:56 pm

Hey! I was paid off by a Chris "Wing King" Muffaletta yesterday, too. Love that Deli.

Thanks for coming on & stating where you're at, Tiger.
Posted: Jun 14, 2006 8:04 pm

There's always two sides to every story - I interviewed a band once that were adament about thanking two people = Hank and Gary Crump.
Posted: Jun 14, 2006 8:37 pm

Well, I dont how "another side" of a story of calling women "cunts" and hitting them, spitting on them, or calling musicians "pussies" because they like to play their own instruments could be redeeming or explain behavior like that.
Posted: Jun 14, 2006 8:42 pm

I interviewed a band once that were adament about thanking two people = Hank and Gary Crump.

Hoobastank?
Posted: Jun 14, 2006 8:42 pm

Sorry, I really couldn't resist.
Posted: Jun 14, 2006 10:00 pm

Well, I dont how "another side" of a story of calling women "cunts" and hitting them, spitting on them, or calling musicians "pussies" because they like to play their own instruments could be redeeming or explain behavior like that.

I was just saying that some people really like Hank.

I don't know him. I have no opinion.
Posted: Jun 14, 2006 10:29 pm | Edited by: dangerouspinkie

i think the funnier thing is all the animosity towards the deli. i understand at times when friends of mine felt slighted in their band by money situations (i've felt slighted by money situations at every club in memphis at one time or another), and i certainly understand the issues with hank and the sound, but in all reality, i've had a lot of fun there, just as much as anywhere. i don't know, i mean it's not like the hi-tone sounds like gold or something. joel has done a lot with that room, and for all his grumpiness and walking away from the board while the band is playing, hank has actually done a lot for the sound at the deli through adding equipment and at least a little baffling. i would rate the hi-tone's sound as higher, but not really that much. all of these places are buildings turned into venues, not built for music, and really not even renovated for music outside of the sound system. there are only two mid size rock clubs in town, there's plenty of music and fun to be had in both of them. i know things happen when alcohol, rock 'n' roll and late nights mix, but in the end, neither of these places deserves boycotting or whatever.
Posted: Jun 14, 2006 10:34 pm

deserves boycotting
I'm not sure why that taper's group wants to boycott them. It probably has something to do with Widespread Panic. They love them some 'Spread...
Posted: Jun 14, 2006 10:42 pm

look how sweet folks get when Tiger comes on board.
Posted: Jun 14, 2006 11:17 pm

service is terrible in the deli. period. and has been historically. and i think there has been one show in the past year i wanted to see there. although i do have peculiar taste.
Posted: Jun 14, 2006 11:25 pm

as far as sound at the deli, could someone please explain how putting the PA cabinets in a big clump above the middle of the stage is better, than, I dont know, spreading them out? Anyone who has set up a home stereo knows that you get a wider range and better sound when the speakers are apart than right next to one another. I dont know, clumping the speakers together in a big concrete and glass box seems a little silly. I havent been to a show in over a year there, but evry time I have been there it was just this big trebly muck blasting from above the center of the stage. I am no soundman, so if my theory is off base, then so be it. But, as a live music fan, I think it sounds like poo in there.
Posted: Jun 15, 2006 1:31 am

"Can I please just have one beer, Gabe? Please?? Just one!???"
Posted: Jun 15, 2006 5:28 am

dangerouspinkie needs to "teach this club a lesson!"
Posted: Jun 15, 2006 5:50 am

Tiger, thanks for the direct response to my post. I figured you and Mike Smith and whoever was in charge of things at that point were apprised and aware of what went on that night, whether you were there or not. It was a real drag...

At this point, it was so long ago that getting angry over it seems like a moot point, but I will honestly state that even if I had eyes in the back of my head, I would not feel comfortable in the deli with Hank around, regardless if he remembers me or the incident or not.

And I know you've met a million people in this business, and I don't expect you to remember every one, but we have met, several times, over the last decade.

and hey, I ate at Soulfish today! great meal!
Posted: Jun 15, 2006 5:30 pm

but jack, mike smith (deli booking) is a road manager for widespread!! they should be all over it!! in seriousness, i'm not sure what lesson i need to teach anybody, but as i've stated before wood, and a stage in the center of a club room is what would make good sound. anybody know of a club like that? there's a guy who turned hlaf of his warehouse/home into a venue downtown across from the former downtown blue monkey, and it is all wood (ceiling, walls, floor and old wood at that) and the stage is (gasp!) in the center of the room!! but i wouldn't really call it a club as it is not used that way although sometimes he has shows there. as for being nice when tiger comes on the board, eric is pretty much nice to anybody with sense, and i do consider him a friend of mine and always have. whatev.
Posted: Jun 15, 2006 6:42 pm | Edited by: J Cutler

Though I've never had any dealings with this Hank, I can say with some authority that the service does leave a lot to be desired. Somebody needs to light a fire under the stoned fucks that make up the majority (there are a couple of exceptions) of the kitchen and service staff.

Will
Drunk
Memphis
wvferrell@hotmail.com
Posted: Jun 15, 2006 7:00 pm

tiger i meant not eric!!! eric don't like me!
Posted: Jun 15, 2006 7:14 pm

Tiger, I wouldn't expect you to know who I am. You only paid me to DJ in your club every monday for 3 years. You never once even said "hello." I've heard from several of your employees that local bands actually take away from buisness. It makes sense, you get a regular crowd of over a hundred folks on fridays and saturdays. Those are the hard drinking,stay all night kind of folks. If you throw a local band on a weekend and they draw 70 people(who will leave when the band is done), your regulars won't want to pay the cover charge. You lose money. It makes sense.
As far as the date rape meat locker thing, I stand by it. I had been going to the deli for years. It just got worse and worse every year. I can't think of another venue in town were I actually have to worry about getting in a fight with some asshole who is only there to try and score before the last call. <---These guys are "non-music" fans who are not likely to show up with a band playing. I can't even count how many fights I've seen in there. I know you have no control over who comes in your place, but it has really gotten out of hand. I am definitly not alone by saying this. The 2-Way supported these guys and their cause even more. I know this happens at a lot of places but I can't think of one were it happens so often. Nothing I said up top was meant to offend you personally, like I said...you can't control who comes in there, but your club is starting to get a bad rep from your clientele and obviously your sound man. The bottom line is...GABE IS THE BEST BARTENDER IN THE WORLD!!!
Posted: Jun 15, 2006 7:23 pm

i gotta disagree with some of that. i've been going to the deli for years (i dated a girl who worked there for a couple years), and i would say considering the amount of people there and alcohol consumed the fights are not very frequent. maybe i'm just there on different days. certainly seen fights there on many occasions, but also have seen many fights at the buccaneer, murphy's, new daisy, etc. maybe the reason the hi-tone doesn't have as many is because it's not a bar, it's only open for music, and thus everyone there on any given night is there for the same reason to see the same band and is of a somewhat like mind. i've never been worried about getting into a fight at the deli although i have gotten into two just as much by my decision as anybody's. it's very true, i've said it many times, gabe is the worst bartender in memphis, but whatever, service is not a strong point of memphis in general. it's not like i love the deli or something, i just think people on this board go way overboard on saying how bad it is. by the way buck, tiger might not have said hi to you, but you are posting under a fake name, so you can't expect him to figure it out without any clues. but i don't want to bash any of you guys because i know that you have many reasons to say what you say, i just think everybody should get a little more levelheaded about the situation at the deli.
Posted: Jun 15, 2006 8:10 pm

as fur the deli's clientele, there are those morons, drew and damien, who actually maybe some of ya'lls friends. despite their antics in the deli(pulling out their cocks, messing with monitors, and just being general dipshits) the deli would let them continue to come in the joint. seems like a liability to me. as fur the bartending, hotbody had the personality of a used douche'. and last time i was in there(a few weeks ago) the floor was understaffed and there was literally a 20 minute wait to get a beer, which has usually been the case. the waitress was nice enough, but it seems like a place that does its business by selling liqour would be prepared.
the sound issues at the deli i'm used to. up front is where to be. not a whole lot that can be done about that.
i've never really seen a fight there either, but i don't really go there anymore. in fact the only place i hear about fights at local venues is murphy's and usually the owner is involved in them.
Posted: Jun 15, 2006 8:52 pm

will, i keep forgetting your last name is ferrell. i never forget you are drunk, though.

p.s. square foods will serve beer and wine. walk across the street. everyone.
Posted: Jun 15, 2006 8:56 pm

Britney, when is SF re-opening? (Apologies if you mentioned somewhere else and I missed it.)
Posted: Jun 15, 2006 9:03 pm

maybe the reason the hi-tone doesn't have as many is because it's not a bar, it's only open for music, and thus everyone there on any given night is there for the same reason to see the same band and is of a somewhat like mind.
<---These guys are "non-music" fans who are not likely to show up with a band playing.

Well, we agreed on that. Assholes are less likely to show up with a band playing.

tiger might not have said hi to you, but you are posting under a fake name, so you can't expect him to figure it out without any clues.

They use to put "Buck Wilders" on the back of the flyer and on the board at the deli the whole time I was doing it.
Posted: Jun 15, 2006 9:24 pm

The Deli sounded great when Yo La Tengo played there. They used the house board and their own sound man. Hmmm. There goes the theory that you can't make that room sound good.
Posted: Jun 15, 2006 9:24 pm

hopefully in the next 3 weeks. but at least within a month. if i would move my ass away from myspace and the goner board and go paint, we'd probably open faster.
Posted: Jun 15, 2006 9:30 pm

My guess is that the bands have too much stage volume and even a good sound man will find it hard pressed to make that room sound good with all of the hard surfaces.
I understand the level a band needs on stage to get the proper feel and there is a fine line between loud enough to properly mix the sound out front as opposed to just trying to get the vocals out over a loud ass stage volume.
Posted: Jun 15, 2006 9:41 pm | Edited by: PMG

I've never been able to tell what things sound like from the stage at the Deli, cause it's really hard to hear anything up there. Everywhere else it seems way too loud to me.
Posted: Jun 15, 2006 9:50 pm

hopefully in the next 3 weeks. but at least within a month. if i would move my ass away from myspace and the goner board and go paint, we'd probably open faster.

*ding ding ding ding*

(j/k Brit)
Posted: Jun 16, 2006 3:20 am

Since we've been working to opening Square Foods in Cooper-Young, we've had many lunches around the neighborhood and have enjoyed them all. We've eaten many times at The Young Avenue Deli, Soul Fish, and take out from Casa Blanca. Everyone has been so welcoming. Even the bank at the corner has let us use up their space and water to feed our plants out front. We're hoping to be open with the next 2 to 3 weeks. All we're doing now is waiting for final inspections from the city, county, and state.

As far as Hank goes, many of my staff members are in bands. They do not like to play any venue that has Hank as a soundman. I really like Young Avenue Deli, and think they have the best air-conditioning system in Midtown. But if so many bands and audience members would prefer a different soundguy, wouldn't it make sense to find a new one?
Posted: Jun 16, 2006 4:04 am

Hey bitches!! I see a lot of people on here hate me. Well you know what I have to say about it. I don't give a big flying fuck!!!

I can run sound around any of you homo's, drunk or not.

The Deli is The House that Hank built!!!

Remember that next time you walk through those doors, motherfuckers!

And what the hell is a "Buck Wilders"?

oogetie boogetie!!! I'm drunk!!!
Posted: Jun 16, 2006 4:07 am

well, I knew that was coming.
Posted: Jun 16, 2006 5:08 am

I belive Ford, Trish, Bill, Doug, Russ, Zoe, Johnny, Martin, Amy, Steve, Gabe, Yanni, Gail, and the rest of the gang would beg to differ with the above comments, not to mention Tiger, Mike, myself, Ryan, Sam, Scott, Kat, Kelly, Laurel, Hillary, Ruth, Chuck, Eric, Chris and many others who came after the first group. For the record, Buck Wilders is a great DJ, as well as person, whose passion for Memphis's great musical history he continually shares through his DJ sets and killer live shows he brings to town. Plus you worked with him for several years till you decided to build the Deli.
Posted: Jun 16, 2006 6:04 am

Wow Todd! Could you drop a couple of more names to impress the peolple on here about all the people you know. Guess what? I know the seven dwarves and all nine reindeer but you don't see me dropping their names, do you?
Posted: Jun 16, 2006 6:23 am

For the record I don't think Hank the Angry Soundman is actually Hank.? Buck aren't you JB's roommate? If so I now know who you are now and yes I have said Hi to you. Is date rape and a fight the same thing? We have had 10 actual coming to blows fights in the Deli in the last five years. Have no reports of date rape drugging attempts. So you can stand by what ever you want but your wrong.

To everyone once again thanks for your support, criticism and continued support of live musicand the deli. And Golightly has hit the nail on the head stage volume is always an issue @ the deli 80% of the shows vocals are the only thing running through the PA because stage volume is too high.
Posted: Jun 16, 2006 8:45 am

I jess wish they wouldn't fry the fries and the shrumps in the same grease.

I get along fine with Hank. Always have. But my impression is that he is fried like won ton. Know when to say when.
Posted: Jun 23, 2006 2:13 pm

Dear Tiger,
I was kidding about the whole weed bit and I had a feeling you would see what I wrote. (like the time I made fun of Todd on here)
Hank's alright with me. He's never hit me or called me names, he just told me to buy a tuner which is some good advice. You don't need to plead your case to me or any of these other people on the board. Your bar/restaurant is what it is and no message board is going to change that.
Posted: Jun 24, 2006 4:04 am

And Golightly has hit the nail on the head stage volume is always an issue @ the deli 80% of the shows vocals are the only thing running through the PA because stage volume is too high.

Too many bands in this town, even ones whose music might be OK, are just completely clueless on the most basic elements of stagecraft.
Posted: Jun 24, 2006 6:33 pm

well, since no one has disproven my theory of "all the speakers clumped up in the middle" is an assinine way to project sound, i am going to assume i am right and that the angry soundman is barely competent at best...if that was his brainchild.
Posted: Jun 24, 2006 6:42 pm

well, since no one has disproven my theory of "all the speakers clumped up in the middle" is an assinine way to project sound, i am going to assume i am right
Aren't they spread a little bit (I haven't been there in forever, but I believe they were)? Unless you're Pink Floyd, or something, it doesn't really matter for that place.
Posted: Aug 8, 2006 8:25 pm

sorry to bring this back up, but......

I think this is fucking hilarious.

Tiger will never ever do anything in that place to better the sound. He needs to stick to making sandwiches and let the music go somewhere else.

T
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®