Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / Check out Midtown City Center
Posted: Jun 2, 2006 1:05 am

This information was given to me today by a friend at the Center City Commission. The developer is out of Atlanta.

June 1, 2006
Objectives for the Midtown City Center

1. Vital, mixed-use development that's respectful of its neighborhood
2. Increased safety through "eyes on the street"( round-the-clock activity)
3. Improve and utilize parking structure.
4. Provide amenities and services for tenants and neighbors.
5. Support and reinforce the identity of Midtown as a place to live, work, shop and play.
6. Catalyze additional area redevelopment:
- Not a freestanding "mega" project.
- A rising tide to lift all boats.

Measuring Success

1. Physically: The project is not an island, but linked to the neighborhood, Watkins, Cleveland and N. Parkway.
2. Economically: Must be economically viable
3. Historically: Unique features of the 1927 Art Deco building are preserved.
4. Culturally: Positive impact on the immediate neighborhood while minimizing potential negative impact.

Development Summary

• Service Master: (250,000SF) The anchor tenant at the project, bringing 1,400 jobs to Midtown City Center.
• Retail: (195,000SF) Staples, Value City Furniture, Prime Outlets.
• Shelby County Service Center: (20,000SF) providing convenient access to governmental services for the community.
• Dining: (30,000SF) Featuring fast casual/specialty dining. Rain Forest Café, Chili's too.
• Additional retail/service space: ( 26,000SF) Starbucks, Blockbuster video, dry cleaners, floral boutique, fitness center.
• Day Care Center: (18,000SF) providing convenient child care to employees and tenants.
• Parking: 1,806 spaces on site.
• Mixed income housing: (350,000SF.) approx. 200 units, 50 for-sale Condominiums: (loft-style) one and two-bedroom units average price $200,000. Rental apartments: 150 one and two-bedroom units, rents $625-$1,000
• Transit :New Mata bus shelters and linkage to proposed Matatrac (light rail)

June 1, 2006
Midtown City Center offers approximately 200 units of new housing geared toward a range of incomes. These include rental apartments and for-sale condominiums within the original 1927 former Sears building.

Apartments
150 units
- 6 efficiency
- 94 one bedroom
- 50 two bedroom
• 200 parking spaces
• Floors 2-8
• Rent range: $625 to $1,000
• General occupancy/ workforce housing
• Low and moderate income working adults

Affordability
• 28% (42 units) affordable at 50% of area median income
- Rent levels: $625- $800
- Household income limits: $25,000- $30,000*
• 52% (78units) affordable at 60% of area median income
- Rent levels: $740 - $900
- Household income limits: $32,220- $36,840*
• 20% (30 units) with no income or rent restrictions
- Rent levels: $875- $1,000

Historic loft – style condos
• 50 units
- 22 one bedroom
- 25 two bedroom
- 3 tower units
• Total parking spaces: 80 dedicated/ secured entry
• Average square footage: 1,200
• Average price: 200,000

Amenities
• Fitness Center
• Online video rental "delivered to your door".
• Dry cleaners
• Floral boutique
Posted: Jun 2, 2006 1:08 am

The $200,000 price range usually weeds out the trash. So, I hope it all works out. It'll be great.
Posted: Jun 2, 2006 1:27 am

Jesus fucking Christ, patrick epps. Who the hell are you???
Where is this proposed?

what in the world does this mean? I've decided you are a fraud.
Posted: Jun 2, 2006 1:51 am

Fiddler's Green. Told ya, zombies.
Posted: Jun 2, 2006 2:12 am

No Alisa not a fraud just someone in the know. Sorry if you don't like it, but it's not my proposal. My understanding is this was proposed by a development company from Atlanta. Keep in mind this is not final no contracts have been signed, but no fraud, this comes from a reliable source. I don't know why you are so surprised several companies before have proposed similar plans for Sears Crosstown it is 1.3 million square feet and sits on 19 acres it could certainly house this. I'm sure if this proposal gets approval from the land use control board it will be on the news. Right now it is just a proposal.
Posted: Jun 2, 2006 2:20 am

$625 for a studio apartment crammed in with a bunch of other efficiencies crammed in with some condos with easy access to apply for food stamps and some drywall. AWESOME!
Posted: Jun 2, 2006 2:42 am

Fiddler's Green.- cracked me up cthort. english legend by way of Gaiman/Chesterton channel via Romero - Ha!
if only i could think of the "winners" names in the running man. or a logans run reference.
an easy walk to" a dong market" and the worlds worst flea market.
Posted: Jun 2, 2006 2:42 am

I just find it so odd that you are only here to put forth new building plans. Are you MrsRealEstate? Are you a developer? What is your interest in these plans...and nothing else? Why do you exclusively post about development plans?
Am I an idiot who's finally biting?

I've long wanted something to happen with the Sears Tower. Is this what you're referencing?
Posted: Jun 2, 2006 2:45 am

If you're a venture capatalist, I totally have some things to run by you...
Posted: Jun 2, 2006 2:54 am

Logan's Run--

The "Jessica" character--a 20-ish art student from Kentucky is provisionally accepted into MCA (weak portfolio but she has the $$$) and her father buys her a condo at the Midtown City Center. An evil group of government rulers (reps of the Ford family and Herenton) and corporate developers of the "MCC" determine that the never-ending flow of miscreants applying for government assistance must be dealt with...by murdering them in creative ways on site!

"Jessica" and her slightly older, cute, underemployed musician boyfriend, "Logan" overhear a conversation regarding this nefarious plan one night after making sweet love in the recently out of business Rainforest Cafe (no one was tipping enough)...and take it away, Cort!!!!!
Posted: Jun 2, 2006 2:59 am

I can see Alija Trout's house from up here! and hey, i can see three pawn shops too! and look, there is that skinny hooker that tries to wave me down. The police helicopter is spotlighting again. yah!
Posted: Jun 2, 2006 3:23 am

I'm sure if this proposal gets approval from the land use control board it will be on the news.

Memphis board is notably archaic, vairances take alot of time.

Developmentspeak fluff

A bit skeptic, but I can see where all this is going. Developers are seeing downtown as reaching its saturation point. Equally overlooked is that the area numbers are growing slowly and steadly. This place traps alot of folks from up north who like the prices and the wide open top end of the professional job market.

It only makes sense for a devoper to latch on to an existing building adjacent to established neighborhoods. I wish them well fishing for backer money, closing tenant deals and forcing this plan thru city/county planning. I'm not getting my hopes up.
Posted: Jun 2, 2006 3:27 am

Yes Alisa I am referencing Sears Tower. I post development because I am a longtime Memphian that sees the value of property here and what it can become. Memphis is a great city in my view and can become a great metropolitan city with the right infrastructure and planning. I am not out to fool you. Oh by the way a rising tide to lift all boats refers to all projects within the development summary and all future projects this will attract. Jack Stands I'm listening.
Posted: Jun 2, 2006 3:30 am

forgot to add, all the government assistance and mixed income incentives are just lubricant for the deal. We're going to have another, fox news 'special report' down the road about how the developers were next to broke when they did the deal and the city/county ended up paying for the whole enchilada, a la pyramid, fedex forum etc etc...
Posted: Jun 2, 2006 3:42 am

MATAlac you have a good grasp of things. My understanding is getting funding to close on tenants will be tricky. One good thing is that the building is on the National historic register this will help the developer as far as construction cost are concerned. I will keep up with how receptive the shelby county planning board is to this. I remember in 1999 a developer out of Dallas was turned down for a 61 million dollar loan from hud. I will remain optimistic something will happen soon to this building but like you want get my hopes up. Your were also right about Downtown becoming saturated which is why Sears is so attractive.
Posted: Jun 2, 2006 3:52 am

Logan's Run--

HAHAHAHA!!! I could not embellish any more perfectly.
Posted: Jun 2, 2006 3:55 am

Mr. Epps, I have a question. As an extension to Alisa's original question, why do you post here? Not that I mind at all, I like getting fresh info on what's going on in the town. But we are mainly the Memphis side of a music forum; musicians, engineers, producers, writers and fans. While we certainly all have a thirst for insight in to development of our city, we are hardly the people to come to. Again, if the proposals you bring are real, they are appreciated. I guess my real question is, "How the hell did you get here?"

And by the way, I have many an enterprising gem on this board for the local Venture Capitalists. If Henry Turley or Gary Belz ever return my phone calls, well, dude, it's on.
One of my most recent...
Attn: Venture Capitalists

I would like to open the Jack Stands Mini-Mall on Broad. It would include From East to West on the south side:
A studio
A Radio station
A Bar/music club
A Beer-serving Arcade (w/Skeeball) and Bowling alley
A Goner Records 2 Franchise (we could call it the Cordova location)

I'll probably need a couple million.

e-mail me!

Pass this along, would you?
Posted: Jun 2, 2006 4:05 am

$625 for a studio apartment crammed in with a bunch of other efficiencies crammed in with some condos with easy access to apply for food stamps and some drywall. AWESOME

I want to clear this up the Shelby County service center is not a food stamp office. My understanding is it will provide services such as: Social security cards, drivers license photo, state Id, birth certificates, disability information and benefits etc.
Posted: Jun 2, 2006 4:13 am

After re-reading this topic (shouldn't have skimmed it). I don't think this will be a good venture for Memphis. I think it will probably turn into the same crap as the Peabody Place, just put some low rent apartments over there.
Posted: Jun 2, 2006 4:16 am

Sounds like a Social Security Admin office combined with a DMV and State Records office. Hooooo boy....have you ever been to a Social Security office? It makes a food stamps office look relatively sane. Just saying--I think that really really really is a terrible idea to put that in a development that they are trying to sell as "modern and urban and cool".
Posted: Jun 2, 2006 4:17 am

I guess my real question is, "How the hell did you get here?"

As is mine. And, the other one is "exactly WHAT are you doing here?"
Thanks for summing up, Jack. All what you said.
And, I'm always interested in preservation and amping up our city - and what people have to say about it. But, Mr. Epps, you say it in such a strange way.

I still think Broad St. is ripe for your proposals, Jack. I could even walk there if need be! And, Binghampton is way happening, you know. The school, and today I say that they're putting in an AmSouth on the corner of Sam Cooper and Tillman. A bowling alley/skee ball palace? With beer? Hell yeah.

So, what kind of in the know info do you have on Broad, Mr. Epps?
Posted: Jun 2, 2006 4:19 am

I want to clear this up the Shelby County service center is not a food stamp office. My understanding is it will provide services such as: Social security cards, drivers license photo, state Id, birth certificates, disability information and benefits etc.

Might as well be...sounds like an outpost of the Health Department down on Jefferson. You ever been there?
Posted: Jun 2, 2006 4:20 am

Jack Stands you are intelligent and I like the idea and yes I will pass it along. There has been some interest in the broad area lately. I posted the Sears proposal here because I know there are a lot Midtown residents on this forum that want to know about development in Midtown/ downtown. Oh bye the way I have some proposals of my own waiting and looking for the right financing.

Mall of Memphis Property(90 acres)

Niketown mini olympic village, hosting National high school and college track and field, swimming, basketball, gymnastics etc. and not to mention all the great stuff Niketown has to offer.

Goners, respect my fresh!!
Posted: Jun 2, 2006 4:24 am

Mr. Epps,

How about referencing some fucking punctuation? And I'm not sure how much Value City furniture finds its way into $200,000 condos...in Memphis.
Posted: Jun 2, 2006 4:25 am

Mall of Memphis Property(90 acres)

Niketown mini olympic village, hosting National high school and college track and field, swimming, basketball, gymnastics etc. and not to mention all the great stuff Niketown has to offer.

Either you're dreaming and delusional or you're totally putting us on and a fraud and having a good laugh right about now.
Posted: Jun 2, 2006 4:25 am

Oh bye the way
Posted: Jun 2, 2006 4:29 am

Alisa and Jack you both seem nice so I won't bore you with any more. Alisa tell me what's strange about the way I post what I think is good for Memphis I would really like to know don't hold back please!
Posted: Jun 2, 2006 4:30 am

Niketown mini olympic village, hosting National high school and college track and field, swimming, basketball, gymnastics etc. and not to mention all the great stuff Niketown has to offer

Um....this is called 'The Entire State of Oregon'. Nike does a little something already called the Prefontaine Classic. Track fans might be familiar with it. There is also the Nike Campus. Phil Knight already pimps an entire state, what does he want with the MALL OF MEMPHIS????

Can't help it, Epps. Dis-re-spect that one.
Posted: Jun 2, 2006 4:41 am

Alisa, You have always been my biggest critic, so I expect that, just remember this these things can be accomplished with the right backing and political influence,you're just not a vissionary. You see things in a small box, I don't.
Posted: Jun 2, 2006 4:47 am

Hey, let's just keep this stuff to ourself. We don't want to blow the deal & scare off Atlanta money by letting word get out. Just between us goners, y'hear?

P.S. I think we addressed this before, but I never got any answer: will Bruce Willis be showing up for the rain forest cafe grand opening? (I can't remember which Blues brother movie he was in, but Bruno's got some serious blues chops! Is Pat Tigeret involved?) Good luck with that one. Memphis can't even support a mid-town health food store.

Also, I got that same "online video service delivered to my door" by a small company called netflix. Who writes this shit?
Posted: Jun 2, 2006 4:52 am

I'm thinking about proposing a plan to the city to use the old Mall of Memphis site as a large Battle Dome. Thunderdome, if you will.

Complete with legal pit bull fighting, extreme death matches, greased up pig chases and last but not least, cock fights!

There will also be a seperate area set aside for a legalized brothel.

Oh yeah. A day care for all the single moms who will work there.

Mr. Epps, can you use some of your inside influence and knowledge of city works to help me get this off the ground.
Posted: Jun 2, 2006 4:56 am

six of one, half dozen of the other. though, jerryd, your plan has a much better chance of flying in Memphis...
Posted: Jun 2, 2006 4:57 am

You see things in a small box, I don't.

Are you from Memphis?
Posted: Jun 2, 2006 5:02 am

jerryd, let's get together. I want to be in your country band, too.
Posted: Jun 2, 2006 5:15 am

how come the rest of the goner board isn't this funny?

thanks, y'all
Posted: Jun 2, 2006 5:44 am

This towns been long overdue for a good country band. And I want to find the time to get one together. AH! The problem of time. That can be worked out. E-mail me sometime . ..... No knock on Papa Tops. Think they're great.
Posted: Jun 2, 2006 5:46 am

The $200,000 price range usually weeds out the trash. So, I hope it all works out. It'll be great.

What the fuck does that mean?
Posted: Jun 2, 2006 5:50 am | Edited by: hemant

I call bullshit on the whole project. Every year there is a new proposal for that building, and few people ever come up with the money to make it happen. Besides, no one in midtown wants the generic stores and restaurants proposed when the area thrives on the diversity that already exists there. There isn't a singe chain restuarant on Cleveland...how would getting a bunch of suburban retailers and restaurants be respectful of the neighborhood?

I know that you are only relaying what you heard, Patrick, but let your sources know that I would much rather see that building renovated into a vietnamese mall or marketplace or just residential. That part of cleveland is already the closest thing to what would be considered a Little saigon neighborhood.... so why ruin the uniqueness of the area with generic stores?
Posted: Jun 2, 2006 6:41 am

how come the rest of the goner board isn't this funny?
uh, what did hunter t. say? ipse res?
Posted: Jun 2, 2006 3:46 pm

Hermant, I hear what you are saying, and thats about half my sentiments. Usually these developments have major hurdles to cross to convince government and neighborhood boards to sign off, like setting aside funds to sink into off-property neighborhood improvements, offering community meeting rooms and other benefits. The Cleveland Ave, Vietnamese stronghold being as it is, I seriously doubt that they would be left out of any deal. They've made alot of noise about how bad the thuggery on the ave recently, and forced the politcians do something about it.

As for questioning motives, I find it tiring that we should be grilling folks to the nth degree about posting what they think others might be interested in. Most, like Epps, are posting information that we might be interested in, and I appriciate the sentiment. Sure, there are agendas out there (dee and that film dude,) but I'd rather let these people go ahead and let it out than encourage apathy.
Posted: Jun 2, 2006 4:13 pm

I agree that people should post their ideas and even the Epps posts, if full of atrocious grammar errors, are at the very least entertaining and at the most, sparks for some better ideas.

Plus they spark funny threads--and there aren't enough of those here these days.

Has anyone floated the idea of having a farmer's market there? It would be all-inclusive--does Memphis have a good farmer's market? They rule. They have several here all run by a sort of cooperative non-profit that organizes with bakers, cheesemakers, wineries,meat and vegetable farmers, fish mongers, Thai sauce makers, etc etc...
Posted: Jun 2, 2006 4:36 pm

just started one downtown... not many farmers, not much of a market. supposedly crops will come in and more veggies will appear... it's a cool location, good idea.
Posted: Jun 2, 2006 4:41 pm

Yeah--they are really cool. Naturally, things can get a little dicey as people have decided that it is a really great place to bring their dogs AND their little kids! You can cut the tension with a knife. I am expecting a full on mauling from one of the Mastiffs after his tail gets pulled by one too many toddlers in a $2000 stroller. I mean, you can barely move down the aisles in the first place and people just have to show off their dogs and kids.
Posted: Jun 2, 2006 4:49 pm

People bring their children around produce? Gross!
Posted: Jun 2, 2006 4:55 pm | Edited by: luteinizer

I don't know much about it, but I recieved an invite to an opening for a Farmers Market downtown.

-ooh too slow
Posted: Jun 2, 2006 5:30 pm

Hey man--kids OR dogs...pick one. Myself, I'll pick the kids--but PUHLEEZE no strollers!!!! Dogs are all sniffing and humping all over each other...it simply is too hard to think about how to make those nice morels in that environment. Bring em to the park!!!!
Posted: Jun 2, 2006 5:32 pm

Kids in a park? Gross!
Posted: Jun 2, 2006 5:53 pm

OK, OK, daddykins!

You know I love the kidlets AND the dogs, but they really are NOT a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup-type of combo. Esp. at a crowded farmer's market with toddler and dog level baskets of food!!!!
Posted: Jun 2, 2006 5:58 pm

And before any parents/dog owners jump down my throat about how wonderfully their toddler and poodles get along...I am talking about the unknown quantity--the X factor of a weird ass inbred dog and a weird ass inbred child or a gorgeous sweet darling dog and a gorgeous sweet darling child meeting up for the first time and well, it can be an ugly picture.

Signed,
The Childless and Dogless One
Posted: Jun 2, 2006 6:03 pm

Toddlers with dogs? Gross!
Posted: Jun 2, 2006 8:20 pm

what do you need a farmer's market for when you got EASY WAY?
Posted: Jun 2, 2006 8:22 pm

To make up for the loss of Market Basket on Summer.
Posted: Jun 2, 2006 9:16 pm

Remember the old farmers market on scott st? That place reminded me of a really bad strip joint.

A lot of the vegetables there had spots on them and were rotten, and you new it was a mistake to touch them, yet you just couldnt seem to keep your hands off of them.
Posted: Jun 3, 2006 12:20 am

Bongo, Bongo, Bongo!
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®