Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / Wild Bill's-Hard Luck Cafe
Posted: May 27, 2006 10:09 pm

Anyone know whether they admit minors to hear the music? I know at least Wild Bill's serves food, so that might be an in.

Reason--I was born and raised in Memphis, spent most of my life in New Orleans where my 15 yr. old son was born. We now live in the upper Midwest--north Iowa, southern Minnesota--really white bread places, but my son plays self-taught blues piano, and I want to keep him with some sense of the greatness of southern culture.

We're planning a trip to Memphis in August, and I want to take him to some old joints that will knock his socks off--at least places that don't exist up here.

Thanks.
Posted: May 29, 2006 7:47 am

take him to the antenna club. buwahahhahahahahaha
Posted: May 30, 2006 7:34 pm

That's a gutbuster, pal.
Posted: May 31, 2006 9:02 pm

i would think wild bills will allow yer son in, especially if yer with him. while i have never seen anyone that young in there, i tend to think bill would look the other way.
Posted: Jul 23, 2007 7:35 pm

I've read elsewhere that Wild Bill has passed on. Can anyone verify?
Posted: Jul 23, 2007 8:14 pm

I've read elsewhere that Wild Bill has passed on.

Oh no!!! Hopefully that's not true.
Posted: Jul 23, 2007 8:15 pm | Edited by: JPK

Also, I think the Hard Luck Cafe has changed hands. It's now called "It's a Memphis Thang" or something like that. Don't know what the deal is.
Posted: Jul 23, 2007 11:19 pm

yeah, I hear he passed away also...

from a pretty good source.
Posted: Jul 24, 2007 6:32 am

Yup. Wild Bill R.I.P.
Posted: Jul 24, 2007 7:10 am

damn. RIP Wild Bill.
Posted: Jul 24, 2007 8:35 am

damn. RIP Wild Bill.

Shit. . . I'll be pouring a forty out while eating catfish soon.
Posted: Jul 24, 2007 9:40 am

Am sitting here with my Wild Bill's trucker cap on, wishing the old fella happy trails...
Posted: Jul 24, 2007 2:17 pm

Aw man, that is really bad news.

Does anybody know what's going to happen to the club? Is someone going to keep it going? If they do, I hope they don't change anything.

Some of you native Memphians may not understand the impact that place can have on a transplant like myself.
Posted: Jul 24, 2007 5:21 pm

Last I heard, his wife was going to run the club for as long as she could, but she didn't know how long she could managed. Having been there a number of times during the Big Don days and as a post-$10 regular, I will say that the music has taken a slow but sure dive over the last year, with Leroy leaving and there not always being a consistent singer. At the same time, the idea of not being able to go there is unthinkable to me at this point. Wild Bill will certainly be missed---apparently he's owned many lounges similar to Bill's over the years, keeping the Memphis soul/blues tradition going. Let's hope it doesn't become another place where we point to and say "that used to be."
Posted: Jul 24, 2007 8:38 pm

the music has taken a slow but sure dive over the last year, with Leroy leaving

Dang, I didn't know Leroy had left. Guess it's been a while since I went by there.

I think the $10 cover hurt the turnout more than the armed robber did!
Posted: Jul 24, 2007 10:05 pm

The armed robber just proved Bill's had the best security in Hollywood, what with the customers beating the perpatrator to the ground with chairs and all.
Posted: Jul 25, 2007 12:12 pm

I've read elsewhere that Wild Bill has passed on. Can anyone verify?

obit, Commercial appeal today, page 5
Posted: Jul 25, 2007 2:38 pm

Here's the Wild Bill obit, online:

URL
Posted: Jul 26, 2007 12:21 pm

so sad, read about it yesterday. RIP Wild Bill.
Posted: Jul 28, 2007 12:50 am

Posted: Jul 31, 2007 2:19 am

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®