Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / Biking in Memphis... smash.
Posted: May 8, 2006 12:39 am

I was at a bike shop yessiday and fell in love with an old-school Schwinn. Black and white, single speed. Oh, it was beeyootiful. Now I haven't been on a bike in, oh, 20 years or so and biking a 60 mile trail or something is of no interest to me. But I do like the idea of having a bike to take to Shelby Farms or to use to run to the store or something, as opposed to driving.

But seeing as how Memphis isn't a bike friendly city, I'm wondering if that's all I could do with this bike. Where's some places I could just cruise around?
Posted: May 8, 2006 12:52 am

Overton Park, Audubon Park, Shelby Forest, Shelby Farms.
Posted: May 8, 2006 11:28 am

Let me just say this to you before you shell out the dough. You know the old saying, "It's just like riding a bike"? The say that about things you don't forget how to do supposedly because you don't forget how to ride a bike. Well, I rode a bicycle for the first time in about 20 years just a couple of years ago. I had forgotten how. I almost died. I haven't tried it since. Now, this may not happen to you, but find a bike you can take for a spin before you go out and buy one.
Posted: May 8, 2006 3:51 pm

It takes a bit to get the balance thing back, but you can do it, just don't ride in traffic till you get the hang of it. There are also bike trails and groups that urge the city to be more bike friendly. Go to a few of the bike shops around town, I am sure they have the low down.
Posted: May 8, 2006 5:51 pm

Yeah, a guy I work with and our boss are part of the "Share the Road" group. They held some sort of event Sunday morning over by the Malco Paradiso.
Posted: May 9, 2006 7:12 pm

i cruise around midtown all the time. i just recently got an old vintage huffy free from one of my friends and i hadn't rode a bike in years and didn't get fucked up from it at all. i haven't had any problem riding the thing even when fucking blasted off high or drunk as fuck. the only thing i'm worried about it trying to cross poplar. that's when people scare me. heh.
Posted: May 14, 2006 1:10 am

I've found the best place to ride in town is on Presidents Island. After five on weekdays, that place dies down because all the second shifters are already at work. There are NO cars and you may see maybe three or four trucks the whole time you're there. It comes out to be about an 8 mile loop( you can cut on a side street half way to make it 4 miles), and if you have not ridden in that long, it's a good place to get your learn on.

Some of the factory smells are kind of questionable, but you can't beat that place at night. When the factory lights are all going, it makes for a great sight.

Plus you're by the river, so you get a small breeze. Trust me on this one. I go down there all the time, and the ONLY people you will run into are the occasional illegal motorcycle racers( which are fun as hell to watch)
Posted: May 15, 2006 10:55 pm | Edited by: numbchuc

check it out... www.sharetheroadmidsouth.org

More support = more bike lanes
Posted: May 15, 2006 11:45 pm

I live and occasionally ride in quite possible THE most bicycle-unfriendly city in the country, but there are ways to make it work:

http://www.bicyclekitchen.com/

Just took Memphian, S. Youngblood along with me for last week's Midnight Ridazz ride and now he's got a hankering to do a similar kind of ride in Memphis.

Make it happen, people!
Posted: May 16, 2006 12:08 am

wear a helmet
Posted: May 16, 2006 2:04 am

We don't really want anyone bikeing in memphis or NOLA, so just do that somewhere else like PORTLAND ,OR. they will love you there for that!!!
Posted: May 16, 2006 5:21 am

KEEP YOUR TOYS IN THE FUCKING YARD!!!!
Posted: May 16, 2006 5:26 am

But seriously folks, one of my favorite things to do is bike in the middle of the night. I do the fairgrounds, usually midtown, and sometimes downtown and back. I don't wear a helmet, and have a tendency towards dark clothing, two things that I probably need to change. Jerry, do you drive down to Prez Island? Certainly you do, right? Do you take the road past the metal museum and just keep driving south? I'm interested, but I don't want you to come back and say you're bored with Prez Island, and have switched to riding the trails at Kilowatt Lake.
Posted: May 16, 2006 5:32 am

one of my favorite things to do is bike in the middle of the night.
Me, too. But I mainly keep to New Spain and High Point area.
Posted: May 16, 2006 8:54 am

I used to bike from my house in Cooper-Young to shows at Barristers. Got pulled over one night at 2:00 am by a cop when I was riding home. Memphis is actually a really amazing city to ride in. Riding at night is one of my favorites, back in Memphis and here in LA. It's an awesome thing to take over the streets and a speedy ride on a summer night can make it that much better.

Bikes aren't just for crusty kids and new jack "DIY" Portland-esque hustlers.
Posted: May 16, 2006 9:01 am

riding at night is great. like andy, i probably need to lay off the no helmet and dark clothes though.
Posted: May 16, 2006 10:07 am

all the young junkies in seattle ride bikes the stole or picked up from a trash heap. none oil the chains so the make that metal by metal sound
Posted: May 16, 2006 6:41 pm

A. Earles, I do drive down to pres. island. The easiest way to get there is by taking mclemore all the way down. It dead ends into the island. You could take riverside to the metal museum exit, but mclemore is a straight shot.

And just park your car at the napa parts store. They are closed so nobody really cares.

And no, I'm not bored with that ride. I still say it's the most interesting and safe ride in town.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®