Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / Beale Street Music Festival Blog
Page  Page 3 of 3:  « Previous  1  2  3
Posted: May 9, 2006 8:50 pm

I bet they played Sister Christian on those Damn Yankees tours. And I'll bet Ted was right there...loving it.
Posted: May 9, 2006 8:52 pm

i would take more pride in making gay sex with elton john than having written wango tango. now that i think about it, elton john's a bit intriguing in a cheeky way.
Posted: May 9, 2006 8:52 pm

We can agree to disagree, facist.
Posted: May 9, 2006 8:53 pm

eh.

i give up.
Posted: May 9, 2006 8:54 pm

I am suspicious of anyone using the word "cheeky".
Posted: May 9, 2006 8:55 pm

just talked to the nuge and he said fuck the zippin pippin. i didn't even bring it up. it seemed very uncalled for.
Posted: May 9, 2006 8:57 pm

elton john's a bit intriguing in a cheeky way

He also wrote a song that plays during the opening credits of possibly the finest film ever made.
Posted: May 9, 2006 8:58 pm

b'damn.

I'll concede that point, if true. But I also know this is coming from the agents of Fidel Castro...
Posted: May 9, 2006 9:02 pm

he also said that damn yankees wanted to cover a thin lizzy song but he didn't have the talent to sing it.
Posted: May 9, 2006 9:08 pm

It's not so hard to say in that stupid voice "if the boys wanna fight, you better let 'em".
Posted: May 9, 2006 9:16 pm | Edited by: J Cutler

are you folks listening to the same band called Thin Lizzy that I'm listening to? They aren't even close to being in same stadium-rock ghetto that I've seen proffered up in this thread. (I'll concede that the Nuge has a handful of classic moments, but the rest?)

I'm not indciting Elton, either. He'll be forever absolved for making about 2 1/2 classic albums (cf. Tumbleweed Connection and parts of Madman Across the Water, Honky Chateau, Goodbye Yellow Brick Road).
Posted: May 9, 2006 9:18 pm

ow, bringing up "The Boys Are Back In Town" = low blow, Jack. It does have a cringe-worthy moment or three... but c'mon, the riffage is undeniable!
Posted: May 9, 2006 9:49 pm

There is a guy who hangs out in midtown sometimes who looks EXACTLY FUCKING LIKE Phil Lynott. Anyone seen this dude??
Posted: May 9, 2006 9:58 pm

I am making a solemn promise to all.
I will go home tonight, have a few beers, and listen to the Thin Lizzy mix-cd John3of4 gave me. I have no idea what songs are on it (no names on the thing). If it is up to ZZ Top or pre 1984 Van Halen level, I will concede. Otherwise, Piece of Mind is going on the turntable.
Posted: May 9, 2006 10:52 pm

Here's my final post on this:

Word at the festival was that the bookers were not very happy with the line-up themselves.

I had an ok time until Sunday when the combination of a hangover and very rude security pretty much made me never want to return.

I tried to make the best of a bad situation and all I got was hell from all sides, so in my own immortal words, whatevs.
Posted: May 9, 2006 10:53 pm

the Motor City Madman is a Motor City Moron.
Posted: May 9, 2006 11:01 pm

Here's my final post on this:
What? we've got a whole new year of bitching to go!
Posted: May 9, 2006 11:01 pm

the Motor City Madman is a Motor City Moron.
Beats the crap out of Jailbreak.
Posted: May 9, 2006 11:33 pm

well, i dont know. i mean i like great white buffalo and his stuff here n there. he's still an idiot. i've seen him a half dozen times or so and i just have to laugh at some of the tripe that would fall out of his mouth. even in interviews, he's just ridiculous. i wish he would just go back to his days of talking bout nashville pussy. that is more along the subject matter he is probably qualified to cover.
Posted: May 9, 2006 11:41 pm

I think somone on the BSMF blog is looking for you:

I was not at the Blues Fest. We were afraid it would be too crowded so we went to Memphis the weekend before. Totally enjoyed ourselves. While there, we met a gentlemen named "Sugarman" who said he was opening at the fest for James Brown. Did anyone see a "Sugarman"?
Sounds like the music was awesome, even if things were a bit unorganized.
Thanks to anyone who can help in my quest for the Sugarman!
Posted: May 9, 2006 11:50 pm

What? we've got a whole new year of bitching to go!

I don't bitch, I bith.
Posted: May 10, 2006 12:04 am

Wow. I just read this drivel in it's entirety. If you don't know that having Maiden play would sell out the festival ALONE, you shouldn't be commenting on music, yet alone the fucking Gin Blosoms.

In all honesty, I went to the mid-south fair year before last for the sole purpose of seeing the Gin Blosoms. Call it novelty; call it guilty pleasure. Whatever. There were thirty people there, tops. Maiden sells out stadiums consistantly. They have action figures. They have rabid fans who tattoo themselves and adorn every square inch of their walls with Maiden memorabilia.

On a side note, the last time I went to Music Fest, a.k.a. Memphis In Mud, the only act I caught was Bryan Adams. He did "Summer of '69" and I sang along and saw an unattractive female remove her top. Nostalgic for nothing. Bryan Adams was the second cassette tape I ever owned. The first being Falco.

MIM has been awful for years and is only getting worse.

Rock Me Amadeus.

Huey Lewis - SPORTS!!!
Posted: May 10, 2006 3:55 am

you're a drivel.
Posted: May 10, 2006 4:13 am

You're a city!
Posted: May 10, 2006 4:15 am

In continuing with the libertyland = freedom theme, "John Mayer would probably be a cool guy to have a beer with though."
Posted: May 10, 2006 4:20 am

Yeah, maybe he could kick down some of his spare chicks.
Posted: May 10, 2006 4:45 am

I misread that and thought it said chinks.

I think i still have dirt in my eyes from over the weekend.
Posted: May 10, 2006 4:53 am

Several folks have made comparisons to the NO Jazz thingy and for a while I just assumed it must have been superior without even looking... just assuming it's the Jazz Festival.
After looking over the line up, I'm not so sure they did better... of course, making allowances for post Katrina trauma and all.
Lionel Ritchie... Ohio Players (with how many original members?)... Cowboy Mouth...
and what idiot in New Orleans decided that Sam Moore needed Travis Tritt on stage as his special guest
Elvis Costello (last year's MIM), Dave Matthews (several years ago), Galactic (this year), Little Feat (last year?, I forget), Dr. John and assorted Neville family projects (VooDoo Fest)
My point is there are some things to learn from New Orleans like that we really need a gospel tent that opens bright and early (about sunrise) on Sunday morning and plan it so that the house is rocking well into the night with a crowd that probably isn't going to wander too much to other stages. Pack Beale Street with as much local jazz as the club owners can tolerate for that one weekend of MIM and not the crappy wine sipping cheese eating acid jazz shit.
BOOK SAM MOORE. Hell, build a whole set around him with special guests dropping in or as part of a Booker T & the MGs set, but get Sam Moore.
I happen to like Chicago, but when I left Shinedown in mid set to see them, they were really struggly with the 80s power ballads I am not fond of. While watching the MGs set before them, I kept wondering when at least the horn section from Chicago was going to come out and join in on at least a few tunes. That would have been fun.
That said, it's hard to say that NOLA was a transcendent musical product based on the headliners or leaps and bounds better than MIM on that basis. They have two weekends. We have one. They have more stages. They have a different musical heritage that includes things like Zydeco, which doesn't draw well here when Beale Street goes all zydeco. Something about accordions. Sorry, but that's the way it is.
I love the Iguanas and I know I'll be able to see them at least once this summer or maybe into the fall in a club. It doesn't mean MIM is a failure because it didn't snag them or anyone else.
Posted: May 10, 2006 5:01 am

The projection is that MIM will make about 10 percent less than the past three eyars - which means about 0 profit.

It needs an overhaul.

It needs vision.

In terms of strictly monetary gain, I don't understand why bars on beale aren't booking some of these acts that are already in town for late night gigs. I'd be willing to bet that there are a lot of people that would not want to deal with going down to Tom Lee, but would pay fat dollars to see Little Richard, James Brown, Jerry Lee, hell even Chicago in a smaller venue on Beale.
Posted: May 10, 2006 5:20 am

I think the most symbolic thing I saw down there was the unending line of port-a-crappers totally blocking the view of the river. Put that crap back on riverside.

I did meet out of staters who were luvin it.

Big Star kicked ass.
Posted: May 10, 2006 7:01 pm

I talked to a lot of folks in town for the Ponderosa Stomp that went to the Beale Street Music Fest, they all said the Fest was a really bad time...the crowd, the sound and the overall experience was miserable.
Posted: May 10, 2006 7:51 pm

I've gotten three emails now asking why no one covered the Romantics.

And a lot of people asking for pictures of Staind.
Posted: May 10, 2006 8:03 pm

I've gotten three emails now asking why no one covered the Romantics. I thought I covered that topic?

Word at the festival was that the bookers were not very happy with the line-up themselves. Does that mean that they will be firing themselves?

Overhaul is not necessary. They just need to hire someone who knows music, has a vision, & has connections to book the goods. If they grew the festival organically, it could evolve into a two weekend deal like Jazzfest. (What is great about jazzfest is not the lame acts Moondog mentioned, but the incredible world music/reggae/african/west indies/funk stuff that their bookers would comb the world for. These acts would only play at Jazzfest and it made a trip to N.O. necessary to catch them. I'm sure this year was way scaled down in that area for Jazzfest. Not a fair comparison this time around. My point with comparing MIM to Jazzfest is that jazzfest actually has a unique vision of music to book and folks who could get the job done. They don't just rely on what act had a hit on 93x 10 years ago). With the crew they have booking MIM now, it will never grow & probably continue to stagnate or regress.
Posted: May 10, 2006 8:12 pm

Overhaul is not necessary. They just need to hire someone who knows music, has a vision, & has connections to book the goods.

Isn't that an overhaul?
Posted: May 10, 2006 8:14 pm

Hiring one person is not an overhaul to me. Who cares what it's called as long as they improve it?
Posted: May 10, 2006 8:54 pm

not me!

it wouldn't be surprising if after this year they take your advice.
Posted: May 10, 2006 8:57 pm

COUP D'ETAT!!!!
Posted: May 10, 2006 9:23 pm

Rachel, correct me if I'm wrong...but is not this BSMF booked by Beaver Productions out of New Orleans?
I realize they may not physically BE in New Orleans due to Katrina but I keep thinking that is who books this festival.
Posted: May 10, 2006 11:24 pm

Beaver has had an office in Memphis for years. 19th (I think) floor of the Sun Trust building. Last year one of the head (REALLY creepy) dudes @ Beaver asked me if I was going to music fest. I laughed and replied, "No." He seemed perturbed by my response which leads me to believe that Beaver does in fact have something to do with the booking of Memphis In Mud fest. He asked why I wasn't going and I replied, "I like music." The elevator door shut as his face reddened with genuine anger.
Posted: May 10, 2006 11:41 pm

I do believe they are involved, which is why they kept a lid on The Strokes playing here until after this weekend.
Posted: May 11, 2006 12:02 am

And a lot of people asking for pictures of Staind.

I misread this as pictures of Stand...as in Jack!
Posted: May 12, 2006 9:57 pm

Hey Rachel

Re: the acts playing elsewhere, check this out for lameness:

Like with most major festivals and concerts, MIM puts in a clause that the acts can't play elsewhere in town within a certain number of days without MIM's permission. That makes sense--if they're paying 6 digits for Jerry Lee, they don't want him in Tunica or the Oprheum the next night.

But, two longtime Ponderosa Stomp artists, Billy Lee Riley and Lazy Lester, were playing BSMF. And MIM completely kept Billy Lee from playing, and made them insert a line on the web site that "Lazy Lester will not be performing", even though of course he was there, sat in with various artists, etc.

First off, as Lazy Lester put it, "I invented the mothafucka." (The tune Ponderosa Stomp was one of his Excello records classics.)

Second of all, the Stomp was a benefit for Katrina victims, and all or nearly all the artists were performing for free.

Third, quite a few people attended the BSMF because--AND ONLY BECAUSE--they were in town for the Stomp, myself included. (I actually had a good time at BSMF because so few other people bothered to watch the acts I was interested in like Booker T and the Bar Kays, so the stage wasn't crowded when they were playing. Jerry Lee and Little Richard were excellent as well, and James Brown is always a thrill, even if his show has dropped a few notches since the last time I saw him.) You'd think they'd be grateful to the Stomp for bringing scores of music fans to town the week of BSMF.

Finally, when Lester was playing, there were about 40 people in the blues tent, 35 of whom were there to get a good seat for the awful jam band led by Greg Allman's son. Who announed that he'd be playing a midnight set at a local bar!

Sounds like "different strokes for different folks"
Posted: Jun 23, 2007 1:49 am

No real blues player has ever said periwinkle.

I was actually looking for the quote from dee about her being a pot smoker in front of the children, but I ended up reading this whole thing again, and I love Alisa's quote.
Posted: Jun 23, 2007 7:14 pm

I just read it again too - to see how badly I was slaughtered, but I guess it didn't end up being too bad.

I skipped this year cause I thought the line-up was too horrible even for me - and I think it ended up being their most profitable in years.

BTW, Jack - last week I sang back-up on the new Puscifer album - I think you will enjoy it.
Posted: Oct 28, 2010 1:29 am

[url=http://www.mytdesigns.com ]Rhinestone Iron [/url]
Posted: Oct 28, 2010 1:30 am

i also skiped this year beacuse i realy don't kno wwhat to do. i will do better next year.

<a href="http://www.mytdesigns.com" rel="dofollow">Rhinestone Iron</a>
Posted: Oct 28, 2010 1:33 am

These acts would only play at Jazzfest and it made a trip to N.O. necessary to catch them. I'm sure this year was way scaled down in that area for Jazzfest. Not a fair comparison this time around. My point with comparing MIM to Jazzfest is that jazzfest actually has a unique vision of music to book and folks who could get the job done. They don't just rely on what act had a hit on 93x 10 years ago)

Rhinestone Iron [url=http://www.mytdesigns.com rel="dofollow"][/url]
Posted: Oct 28, 2010 1:36 am

i would like these. i love it. it's awesome .................

<a href="http://www.mytdesigns.com" rel="dofollow">Rhinestone Iron</a>
Posted: Oct 28, 2010 2:37 am

Transform your company logo into a Rhinestone Logo Design. These easy to apply Rhinestone heat transfers will quickly transform any apparel into a New Trendy look. A custom rhinestone design is perfect for Cheer, Dance and Salon Spa logos along with any other organization that wants to add some bling appliques to thier look. Fast, Easy and Cost efficient a custom rhinestone logo is the answer. Here at myTdesigns we are happy to work with you in transforming any artwork into a custom rhinestone design or rhinestone logo. No setup charges, and quote are always Free.
========
Rhinestone Iron
Posted: Oct 28, 2010 6:55 am

we've been buggered!
Page  Page 3 of 3:  « Previous  1  2  3 
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®