Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / ice cream shacks
Posted: Apr 11, 2006 9:29 pm

I'm looking for out-of-the-way places for ice cream, sno cones, etc to feature in the magazine, but I know I'm missing a few. What I have so far:

Velvet Cream ( Hernando)
Jerry's
Tastee Freez
Wiles Smith
Dixie Queen
Mensi's (Collierville)

Anyone been to any of these places: Cali, JJ's Cream Bowl (W. Mem), Shake Shack (Marion) or Frosty Treats on Democrat Rd?

I'm staying away from the fancy places. This is about the small guys. Ideas?
Posted: Apr 11, 2006 9:34 pm

Is that Rosarios Ice Cream shop still over in the same building as the Malco Quartet? I used to love that place...
Posted: Apr 11, 2006 9:46 pm

awe man, I think the snow cream castle burned down, so sad
Posted: Apr 11, 2006 11:28 pm

Shake Shack (Marion)

yup. big john's shake shack. they have a mean milkshake, man. nice and thick and good...however, i don't know about the rest of their food. just the shakes. always been scared to go to jj's cream bowl though. it just sounds grody.
Posted: Apr 12, 2006 1:44 am

The Shake Shack is awesome! Great Malts. The burger is nothing to write home about although it's not bad. The Coupe De Gracie, however, is the Tang Pie!
Posted: Apr 12, 2006 1:44 am

It's like Lemon Icebox...but it's got Tang in it.
Posted: Apr 12, 2006 1:45 am

Also, don't forget Coney Island out on Elvis Presley.
Posted: Apr 12, 2006 2:20 am

West Memphis used to have Spotts' Drug when I was a kid--damn!!! It was a huge circular-counter soda fountain and grill in the center of a big old drugstore. The dumbasses tore the old bldg down. I think they rebuilt, w/o the fountain or food.
Posted: Apr 12, 2006 3:27 am

That old-school pharmacy on Union has a soda/ice cream fountain. You might check that out. Wiles-Smith is the name, 1635 Union Ave.
Posted: Apr 12, 2006 6:13 am

Ice Cream Plus at Airways and Lamar. Some of the most interesting sounding flavors of ice cream are crossed out but as long as they have lemon custard ice cream I'll keep going.
Posted: Apr 12, 2006 2:29 pm

I knew I came to the right place. Thanks everyone.
Posted: Apr 12, 2006 2:31 pm

The place by the Malco was called Rosies and that shit closed like 20 years ago...damn man!! The movie theatre isnt even there anymore. There is also a really cool place where on the corner where National meets Jackson. I think its called Sweden Creme but Im not sure. Somebody on this board lives (or did) over in nutbush and could surely verify this. I saw it thriving a few weeks ago and its exactly what you want. Check it out!!
Posted: Apr 12, 2006 4:07 pm

Sweden Creme! Never been, but it sure does look righteous.
Posted: Apr 12, 2006 4:19 pm

Youve seen it before huh Eric?? Ive never been either but it does look tasty! I dont think Dixie Queen should be included...thats some half ass local chain bullshit!! The place near Easleys dosent really count either (Ice Cream Plus) i dont think...too new and no charm at all.
Posted: Apr 14, 2006 2:35 pm

I saw another cool ice gream joint last night. Its called the Big Dip Dairy Bar and its on Airways near Ketchum on the west side of the street. Your typical drive up get out and order at the window. Looks like its been there for a while.
Posted: Apr 14, 2006 5:58 pm

sweden KREAM its on national and jackson or right around there. just look fur the hoookers
Posted: Apr 14, 2006 7:15 pm

u gotta try the marble slab creamery in saddle creek. sometimes when the manager is not there they will put in a 311 cd and turn it up. they also dont have a problem mixing up some badass ice cream combinations. oh yeah, try the mocha blast drink. Dont be afraid to put gummy bears in it. Unreal. sometimes they will give u a large and only charge u for a medium. kinda hit and miss, and sketchy as a nutty.
Posted: Apr 14, 2006 7:25 pm

after a coney and tots at Sonic, i love turnin my head to the right to check out their frozen favorites. Whenever murphy brown comes on I always go get peach cream pie shake.
Posted: Apr 16, 2006 4:32 am

you know what sux, Marble Slab creamery. That shit is stupid and expensive, I'll take jewish homosexual hippie ice cream any day over that cold stone shit. Why would I want a bunch of fucking pothead highschool kids handling my ice cream anyway? Marble Slab creamery is my new least favorite place in Germantown.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®