Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / Anyone want to buy a great house in (north) Midtown?
Posted: Mar 22, 2006 11:22 pm

It's not mine, but it's across the street from me on Jackson, at Trezevant. It's the coolest house ever...kind of akin to that weird added on house out in Parkway Village. Not that extreme, but weird lines. I bet there's tons of space in there. Right around the corner from Snowden, too.
Posted: Mar 23, 2006 2:30 am

Alisa, I know the coolest house ever, and I heard the owner is the coolest dude ever. Its probably worth alot. I'll have to walk by it.
Posted: Mar 23, 2006 3:39 am

Well, if you get an appt. to go inside let me know and I'll go with. I've been looking at that house for fifteen years just itchin to get inside it. It's only changed hands once in all those years. You could probably get it for not too much, seeing as it's on the north side of the street.
Posted: Mar 23, 2006 3:41 am

how much is not too much???
Posted: Mar 23, 2006 3:49 am

"Midtown" real estate is sky high...I'll probably make 100,000 on my dinky little house when I sell it. I've lived in it for fifteen years. I'd imagine the coolest house ever is going for around 200...maybe less, and it's huge.
Posted: Mar 23, 2006 3:56 am

I AM LOOKING TO SELL MY DUPLEX AND MOVE IN THAT AREA...STILL GOOD PRICES....THE BROAD AREA IS GOING TO ROCK SOON... CLEVELAND AND N. PRKWY AREA IS ABOUT TO EXPLODE. BIG SUBDIVISION BEING BUILT IN THE OLD BAKERY LOCATION...YOU CAN BUY A GREAT HOUSE IN THIS TOWN FOR $60K..
Posted: Mar 23, 2006 4:24 am

BIG SUBDIVISION BEING BUILT IN THE OLD BAKERY LOCATION...

What??? Like condos?
Posted: Mar 23, 2006 5:15 am

Bo, why are you always yelling?
Posted: Mar 23, 2006 5:36 am

Ok, I walked by it, yeah its the place, I never noticed that it takes up a whole block, there is a back guest house and something like a garage off Jackson that looks like its been turned into another apartment, but it looks really little. Anyway, I think its going to be 250k, if you look up the 38112 sales btwn 200-500k Im sure its there, but no pic up yet.

It's only changed hands once in all those years.

Same story I heard, apparently the last owner was a serious mod style buff, just look at that harliquin pattern front door, something is going on behind it. Otherwise its a unassumingly basic house with that walled in porch, I'd put a big gate on the side to enter and exit discreetly.

Theres something about the mansions in the hood in memphis, for less than 250 you can get a big N. Parkway house, almost the same house you can't get for less than 400 on Peabody near GSL. In the north theres alot more Prairie Style Sears Catalog houses, better neigborhood planning, the yards seem alot bigger. The used to call the area surrounding Snowden - University Park, now its Vollentine Evergreen. I've heard rumors that people from outside of town and even Europe are snapping up places here for investments.

I might look at the place but I don't think I'll be buying before the bottom falls out, I'll stay nomadic and driftin on the 53 bus.
Posted: Mar 23, 2006 7:25 am

Fuck.... I want a house for that much.... I need to buy some Memphis real estate.
Posted: Mar 23, 2006 6:42 pm | Edited by: Uptight White

THE BROAD AREA IS GOING TO ROCK SOON...

Yes it is, but "soon", as far as I can tell, is in the next 2 years. It's still a crime hot spot, with lots of gang-banger types sitting on the porches all day long, keeping watch.

I'm snapping up anything in that area that I can keep rented with few repairs until there is enough equity built up and yuppie tenants on waiting lists to justify renovation.

The unique architecture and it's proximity to good neighborhoods will drive the market.
Posted: Mar 23, 2006 6:43 pm

not to mention the occasional sniper!
Posted: Mar 23, 2006 6:45 pm

Uptight White, I need to talk to you about the Jack Stands Mini-mall on Broad....
Posted: Mar 23, 2006 6:47 pm

Is that the really nice 2-story storefront building painted a cool blue color?
Posted: Mar 23, 2006 6:49 pm

No, per my request to Memphis Venture Capitalists:
Attn: Venture Capitalists

I would like to open the Jack Stands Mini-Mall on Broad. It would include From East to West on the south side:
A studio
A Radio station
A Bar/music club
A Beer-serving Arcade (w/Skeeball) and Bowling alley
A Goner Records 2 Franchise (we could call it the Cordova location)

I'll probably need a couple million.

e-mail me!
Posted: Mar 23, 2006 6:50 pm

Anyway, I am composing a letter to Herenton, demanding financial backing (from him, not taxes).
Posted: Mar 23, 2006 9:37 pm

Does anyone else remember shows at the house on Broad, above the dry cleaner's? Did that floor ever finally cave in?
Posted: Mar 23, 2006 10:59 pm

Ok, I walked by it, yeah its the place,
MATAlac, what are you doing walking down Jackson Ave. at 11 P.M.?

I love living over here. I thought about it, and it's been 17 years. Occasionally I get creeped out when I'm coming into the empty house late, but that's about it. It's actually gotten a lot better in the last five years...no late night doorbell ringings in a long time.
The lots are bigger, mine is 250 ft. deep. Used to be like a little park out back before Hurricane Elvis. Kids have had access to great sports teams (through Evergreen when they were little) and have gone through Snowden, what I think is the best elementary school in the city.

I can't wait for Broad to start happening. Jack's plan is right up my alley.
Posted: Mar 24, 2006 12:43 am

Just stop. It ain't funny.
Posted: Mar 24, 2006 6:07 pm

Jackson Ave. at 11 P.M.?

More like 9:30 - Yeah, Rhodes security was curious also, I guess theres a first time for everything. I was suprised that Hein Park didn't have a rent-a-cop crusing.

Anyway, Im not going to make it a habit and stick to the greenline west of McLean after dark.
Posted: Mar 24, 2006 6:14 pm

My best friend through time eternal grew up on Hallwood (is that the name?) off Jackson--a nice street where a lot of relatively well-off Rhodes profs lived. In the 80's, her parents' gorgeous stone cottage of a home was constantly getting burgled. One day I came downstairs around 7AM on a Sunday morning and this black dude was walking out of the living room toward the front door with the TV. He put his finger to his mouth like, "Shhhhh." Freaked me out. I think they gated that street/community.
Posted: Mar 24, 2006 8:14 pm

Hallwood's just west of me, fiery. It's not gated. I had occasion to look at one of those houses a year or so ago...nice, but too strange for the asking price. Still a lovely little neighborhood.
Hein Park won't spring for the rent-a-cops. We revisit this issue once every few years, but no one wants to pony up. There's some tight rich folks over there (and some very nice ones too.)
I was Head of Beautification for Hein Park for several years...finally quit when we couldn't get the residents to spring for what was needed.
Posted: Mar 24, 2006 8:26 pm

Her house was strange, but really cool to me. All the haphazard stone and ceramic work and the RAFTERS and inside iron balcony. It was cool. If I had $1 for everytime I was drunk off my ass in that house...her dad was always more wasted than we were!!!
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®