Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / Square Foods is moving!!
Posted: Mar 22, 2006 9:27 pm

Square Foods is moving! Goners come help us move! Everything in the store except for deli and grab and go food will be 30% off starting Thursday, March 23 through Friday, March 31. This includes all grocery, supplement and body care items. Bulk too!!

Wait 'til you see our new place. .. . .
Posted: Mar 22, 2006 11:23 pm

Where's the new place?
Posted: Mar 23, 2006 4:29 pm

it will be at cooper-young. . . i can't really say just yet exactly where. mainly b/c we haven't signed a lease yet. but it's gonna be awesome.

this sell also includes the awesome beers we are carrying right now. just say "go tigers" at the register. 30% off four packs of Beamish. . . .can't beat it with a stick.
Posted: Mar 24, 2006 12:10 am

hmmmmmmmm

the junk shop?
Posted: Mar 24, 2006 6:33 am

the old machine parts shop under the train trestles?

the old junk shop MIGHT be big enough... no other space over there is big enough for a grocery store...

bring it on!
Posted: Mar 24, 2006 2:09 pm

That is good news. That location in Overton Square never seemed like a good fit. The parking lot is a pain in the butt. A new location might just be be thing to get that store rolling.
Posted: Mar 24, 2006 3:11 pm

well, here's the deal. we wont be a grocery store anymore. we are expanding our grab and go as well as the menu. . . eventually we will serve beer. it will be a sort of deli that is geared for vegan/vegetarians but we may still sell your basic needs such as milk, bread, some of the nuts in our bulk so you won't have to go all the way out east for that shit.

tip: Whole Foods is coming

where the hell else will you be able to get a smoothi and a beer at the same bar?? ha!
Posted: Mar 24, 2006 3:42 pm

That sounds perfect. I'm there.

Have you heard where they are going to put the Whole Foods? Cordova or Germantown I assume.
Posted: Mar 24, 2006 4:21 pm

ok. . . we are having the hardest time coming up with a name! Here's the concept: we are not a grocery store. we are not necessarily a restaraunt. we will broaden our menu and expand our grab and go with food that will be more for the vegetarian/vegan, but we will also still serve seafood and poultry dishes. eventually, we will serve beer. help us find our name!

the winner will receive a 50$ gift certificate. come on. . .. help us out!!
Posted: Mar 24, 2006 4:57 pm

Soup or Yum @ Cooper Young

gotta have some good soups though..........
Posted: Mar 24, 2006 5:07 pm

Rabbit Food.
Posted: Mar 24, 2006 5:39 pm

We are also going to have nuts, snack mixes, fresh roasted coffee, and granola in bulk. We'll be taking our fresh peanut butter grinding machine, bulk honey, maple syrup, and tamari. And of course drinks and chips. Also fine cheeses.
Posted: Mar 24, 2006 5:40 pm

fresh roasted coffee
do tell!
Posted: Mar 24, 2006 5:57 pm

We'll be taking our fresh peanut butter grinding machine, bulk honey, maple syrup, and tamari.

That sounds pretty rockin. Its usually a pretty good idea to sell Wine with cheese, but TN laws are screwed up that you gotta go to the liquor store to get wine, guess its all about abating winos.
Posted: Mar 24, 2006 6:15 pm

Fine cheeses.........we need a good cheesemonger in this town.
Posted: Mar 24, 2006 7:02 pm

ugly mug coffee. it's deelissshh

well, eventually we'll sell beer, so we can't sell alcohol to be taken from the store. however, usually Jeanice (store owner) will suggest a wine on the labels on the cheeses.

danish cream havarti. . . mmmmmm
Posted: Mar 25, 2006 6:14 pm

serve beer, i mean. not sell it.
Posted: Mar 25, 2006 6:27 pm

The cheese thing is needed in every town. I am a believer. A fancy artisan cheese place opened up the street and initially, I gave them 2 months. They also sell incredibly overpriced pickled things, pastas and chocolates. Along with wine and olives. And this amazing, amazing array of import and domestic artisan cheeses. The staff is so friendly and helpful and the cheese so damn fantastic, you don't ever mind dropping untold amounts of $$$ on these cheeses that you can go through in a half hour.

They just started selling real grits from Charleston for $6.50 for a decent sized bag. I am telling you. CHEESE STORE. Not a more pleasant place.
Posted: Mar 25, 2006 11:33 pm

Actually, Mantia's on Poplar at St. Nick has an absurd number of cheeses (at the prices you might expect).

List here: http://www.mantias.com/cheeses.php
Posted: Mar 26, 2006 4:45 pm

It is really lame that the only bread you can get in town is produced at a factory run by crackheads. CY needs a good bakery that servers something besides buns. Also I think square foods should be called "Square Dudes"
Posted: Mar 26, 2006 7:51 pm

Sounds like a good plan, but it would be so awesome if you didn't have to resort to seafood and poultry. This is one of my favorite joints in LA and they have a really amazing menu. You can also buy their seitan from a cold case and their tempeh (which is better than most):

http://www.nativefoods.com/

They also do a really great Thanksgiving/holiday dinner that you can buy and take home.

Good luck though! I can't wait to check out new digs. It was awesome having the old Squash Blossom pecan muffins and Cashew Noodle salad. That was an unexpected treat!
Posted: Mar 27, 2006 2:15 am

invictus--The great thing is we're not resorting to seafood and poultry. It's just that for those neighbors in Cooper-Young and the rest of midtown that want that choice will be able to get the best organic and free-range seafood and poultry available.

With Shawna and Shawn at the helm, we'll finally be offering a very expanded offering of vegan and vegetarian menu and prepared foods! And the bulk seeds, nuts, trail and snack mixes, and granolas are coming along with us. We'll finally be able to focus on what all you guys want!
Posted: Mar 27, 2006 2:48 am

Back to the Name!?

I say keep it simple: Cooper-Young General Store
Posted: Mar 27, 2006 3:54 am

I like it , Johnny Moondog.
Posted: Mar 27, 2006 3:57 am

Here all the submissions for the name so far:

Sesame Seed

Gomasio's

Delicata

Greens

Good Greens

PepperSprouts

Highway to Health

Cooper Street Bakery and Cafe

The Sprout and The Bean

Cooper-Young General Store
Posted: Mar 27, 2006 2:31 pm

Alfalfa'a
Posted: Mar 27, 2006 4:05 pm

Greens sounds good to me--it implies healthy but it could also be a person's name. Simple too.
Posted: Mar 27, 2006 4:56 pm

Just make sure you check with Deborah Madison first.
Posted: Mar 27, 2006 7:09 pm

i think we have decided to keep square foods as the name, but it will be Square Foods At Cooper-Young with "at cooper-young" in cursive. thanks to Steven Kirk, owner of Guava supplements.

thanks for the ideas though. keep 'em coming!

p.s. go to Guava for your supplement needs!
Posted: Mar 27, 2006 7:31 pm | Edited by: fierydrunk

Why not just plain Square Foods and keep the options open for more and more shops and just list locations? I dunno, it is your shop, but the "at Cooper Young" sounds a little off.
Posted: Mar 27, 2006 8:03 pm

I like Squre Foods as well, but "at Cooper Young" sounds kind of pretentious to me...and Im not sure you should take at advice from the dude at Guava!! They opened a location in the worst location possible...you been in that place?? At Cooper Young in curcive huh...just dosent seem right for midtown...know what I mean??
Posted: Mar 27, 2006 8:06 pm

I used to cook in the kitchen at the old midtown Squash Blossom(where India Palace) for like 6 years and have known Jeanice a long time...so I have a serious desire for her to succeed with this...not just being critical to be critical!
Posted: Mar 27, 2006 8:20 pm

well, the thing is is that it doesn't make so much since anymore because we wont be on overton square anymore.

colin, maybe you should give jeanice a call.
Posted: Mar 27, 2006 8:20 pm | Edited by: fierydrunk

I definitely like to see people succeed doing stuff like this in Memphis...that was my point too. I think the "at Cooper Young" is a bit unneccessary; Germantown-y/Collierville-y.

I think Square Foods goes beyond "The Square" location--it just sounds more natural.
Posted: Mar 27, 2006 8:26 pm

I will...I tried to call her earlier today and they said she was busy. Ill try again for sure. It can still hang on to its other half of the double meaning...It wont be on the Square anymore...you are right. One of my favorite places to eat in Athens Ga. is a place called the Grit...its fairly vegetarian and I always liked the name...anyway. How bout naming it the Golden Bowl...maybe to asian?? Hmm...
Posted: Mar 27, 2006 8:27 pm

square foods...overton square...holy shit i just got that.
Posted: Mar 27, 2006 8:29 pm

colin, you can ask for me and then i can put you thru to her. i'm here until 8pm.
Posted: Mar 27, 2006 8:29 pm

Golden Bowl is WAY too Asian, Colin!!!

Why is this so hard? Probably cos Square Foods is too perfect.
Posted: Mar 27, 2006 9:07 pm

colin and fierydrunk...Thanks for your input and concern. You're right, at Cooper-Young sounds too ala The shops of saddle creek. I think that sticking with Square Foods is the way to go. Steven at Guava says (as does my very smart brother) that the Square Foods name is my most valuable asset. It's taken four years for it to stick in people's minds and the name has customer loyalty attached to it. At Cooper Young was an attempt to let people know where the new place is, but in this town word gets out fast.
Posted: Mar 27, 2006 9:14 pm

colin, call me at my house 272-7419
Posted: Mar 28, 2006 12:06 am

square foods...overton square...holy shit i just got that.

Yeah, that didn't register till it was mentioned. I liked the Square Foods name on its own.... I totally didn't associate it with Overton Square until now, I just thought it was just a really good name for a place that sells food that's good for you!
Posted: Mar 28, 2006 1:36 am

it is. that's why we're gonna keep it!!

tomorrow: 40% off all store items and the last day for the kitchen and juice bar!

thanks for all the ideas. and again, keep 'em comin'!
Posted: Mar 28, 2006 6:14 am

Can you get a square meal there?

Then Square Foods it is.
Posted: Mar 28, 2006 2:58 pm

Overton Square ain't no square.
Posted: Mar 28, 2006 4:14 pm

britney-
what's the scoop on Whole Paycheck moving to MEM?
Posted: Mar 28, 2006 6:47 pm

well, the word is that they want to come to midtown (overton square) but they (OS) doesn't want them??? i know, wierd. anyway, they'll bprobably have to go out east where they can kick the shit out of wild oats' ass.
Posted: Mar 29, 2006 2:33 am

Yesterday, I racked up on a nice basket of groceries for $40....everyone needs to take advantage of that sale. The beer and coffee - 40% off. Can't beat that...Red Stripe as much as Bud.
Posted: Mar 29, 2006 2:48 am

and Tom's of Maine as much as an iPod.
Posted: Mar 29, 2006 3:37 am

Whole Foods actively tried to acquire the southwest corner of Union at McLean (Towery Press and some apartment buildings). That didn't pan out so they are looking toward g-town. Word is that they have found what they are looking for. Speculation on my part, but I think it's the old wal-mart space behind exxon on g-town parkway at humphrey's/wolf river blvd.

and a note on the 40% off sale. It continues on Wednesday. We've got lots of frozen foods, pet food, soups, canned vegetables and beans, sodas, juices, etc. and lots of supplements, too. Dr. Haushka skin care products are included in the sale. Pretty pricey stuff, pretty doggone cheap! See you!
Posted: Mar 29, 2006 3:44 am

It continues on Wednesday
Somebody buy me some beer. A lot of it. We get paid in the 1st and 15th, well past Wednesday. Extra fiver to the man/woman that scores a case.
Posted: Mar 29, 2006 4:59 am

Jeanice--would you do a mail order sale on some Dr. Haushka????? or would someone be my middle man??? I will give you the list.
Posted: Mar 29, 2006 1:24 pm

Whole Foods in Germantown/Cordova....the story of my midtown life.

Maybe if saving Liberty Land doesn't work out they could build it there. That would give midtown teens jobs.

I'm so tired of driving out East for good cheese, good bread and bagels, a well stocked health food store. From the way it looks here off Lamar, Germantown IS Memphis and ya'll, I'm tired of it.
Posted: Mar 29, 2006 1:51 pm

fierydrunk, email me your list to info@squarefoods.com, and I'll set it up.

lemissa, square foods may end up having more groceries than we thought.
Posted: Mar 29, 2006 3:47 pm

Jeanice--

I am emailing my list pronto--thanks so much for doing this. Kismet I tell ya. I was just about to buy a lot fro New Seasons.

Speaking of, did you read that article in the NY Times about New Seasons recently? They are a local only chain health/natural/organic food etc superstore in Portland...it isn't as overwhelming as Whole Foods, nor as expensive, nor does it need to be. WHole Foods is like a showoff palace downtown that hasn't been able to open another Portland area store b/c New Seasons KICKS ASS. They have all the granola shit AND the good cheese AND the wine AND oh a box of butter etc--all the regular grocery staples at reasonable prices. It would be a model worth studying and stealing from. Maybe it is a lot bigger than what you are shooting for now, but still it has some ideas I think would be great for Midtown.
Posted: Mar 29, 2006 4:21 pm

I thought a medical office complex was going in where the Wal Marks was out there. Hope it's closer to the city. In the 'ham they are going in the 459 loop but still suburban, but in goatee-ville the are going closer to the Vandy/Belmont area it appears.

Obviously they want Poplar corridor, but I don't see a good location for them east of Highland. Would love if they took out some of that crap at Poplar Plaza or across the street behind the Exxxxxon. I'm not good at site analysis though.
Posted: Mar 29, 2006 4:32 pm

Jeanice--I just emailed my order. You don't know how perfect this is! Thanks!

I like Whole Foods but their target customer has BANK. The store here makes the Whole Foods of old look like dank hippieville. They have all these crazy expensive tasteless soups and salads and hot bars and lots of spendy pastries...I think of it more as a showroom than a real, comfy grocery store. I even feel bad taking fruit off the display cos it all looks greased up and perfect.
Posted: Mar 29, 2006 4:35 pm

Dear Whole Foods-

It has been rumored here in Memphis, TN that you are planning to build a new store in the Germantown/Cordova area. I am writing to let somebody know such a move would be a mistake on your company's behalf.

By moving to this area you would be shutting out the one of the fastest growing residential downtown centers in the nation (zip code 38103) and many in established older neighborhoods in Memphis (38104,38112.) In effect, your company would be encouraging suburban sprawl and a waste of resources by not centrally locating your business.

One could argue that a program such as WFM could not find an available parcel to develop in areas that have enough traffic. Memphis has a very high commercial vacancy rate, and there are many buildings available for adaptive reuse. It shows lack of imagination when companies use this excuse to commission new construction.

I want you to know that I will not patronize your store if it is located in the suburbs and work to boycott your business via the internet.

Respectfully-

MATAlac
Posted: Mar 29, 2006 5:03 pm

It shows lack of imagination when companies use this excuse to commission new construction.

If y'all really want Whole Foods, emphasize the above and bring up their (debatably) creative use of the Brewery Blocks buildings for their store in Downtown Portland.

Or you can support a local store. Or both.
Posted: Mar 29, 2006 7:33 pm

Fierydrunk. Check your e-mail!
Posted: Mar 29, 2006 7:35 pm

Whole Foods sucks. They're all over LA, and each one progressively carries less and less vegan products and more and more yuppie bullshit meat and dairy. I actually prefer to shop at Wild Oats in LA, since they carry more vegan staples.
Posted: Mar 29, 2006 9:00 pm

New Seasons beats all of them but for now, they are staying in the Portland area.
Posted: Mar 29, 2006 9:15 pm

ok. everything is still 40% off. there is still alot of asian dish ingredients as well as pastas and sauces. plenty of bulk nuts, grains, etc. soft drinks. chips, crackers, cookies. cereal.

it's going fast though. we will close at 6pm and if everything isn't gone (whcih is likely) we will open tomorrow at 60%. it all has to go by tomorrow nite.

this is a deal guys. granted, it'll be a deal tomorrow, but it really is going quicklly. if you like to cook, i'd get my ass up here if i were you.
Posted: Mar 29, 2006 9:17 pm

Jeanice--check your email!
Posted: Mar 30, 2006 2:11 am

Ha, Ha, I must say something about the last post written by "me" above. Everything in the post is true, but I want to go on record as saying I had someone else write it for me (a very, very tired staff member). I'm anal about typos and I do not typically use the word "ass" in correspondence. I know, I know, I'm just a big square!

See you Thursday! 60% off!

Fierydrunk, I'm not going to ring in your purchase til then. If I had done it today you'd have only received 40% and you've just been too good to us to only get 40.

Signed, The Real Jeanice
Posted: Mar 30, 2006 2:33 am

Merci beaucoup--I am glad to get a better deal. I didn't really have the $$$ to do all this now, but I wanted to get in on the deals and get involved!
Posted: Mar 30, 2006 2:34 am

For Jeanice and Square Foods...

http://www.newseasonsmarket.com/
Posted: Mar 30, 2006 2:41 am

Please, peoples. Consider buying green coffee in bulk. I'll eventually take it all off your hands, a couple o' pounds at a time.
Posted: Mar 30, 2006 2:57 am

Thanks for the link K.

Jack, you roast your own beans?
Posted: Mar 30, 2006 3:03 am

Indeed. Ask Eric.
Posted: Mar 30, 2006 3:08 am

I just ran out of my 3 lbs of Yurgachef, and was hoping to hook up with Womb Raider in NOLA (pretty easy to come by down there, I understand), but HE WON'T E-MAIL ME!!!!
So, y'all, get some.
I need:
Guatemallan Antigua
Java Timor
Ethiopian Yurgachef
Sumatra Mandheling
and
Kenya AA Peaberry (Tanzanian Peaberry, if you can find it, would be better).
Posted: Mar 30, 2006 4:34 pm

Posted: Mar 30, 2006 5:11 pm

Baygents has heard the tenant being lined up for Square Foods' current space is another Mexican restaurant.

Surprise, surprise. Hope it is good!

And the Goner Board got props too. How sweet!
Posted: Mar 30, 2006 5:26 pm

hemant, Thanks for the link! I thought the article was coming out today so I didn't pick up a copy earlier this week.
fierydrunk call us if you want to order the Dr. H. 901-728-4371
Posted: Mar 30, 2006 5:38 pm

Jeanice--

I will have to call around 2ish my time as I left the credit card at home. Are you open then? If not I am off all day tomorrow. Let me know.
Posted: Mar 30, 2006 7:01 pm

Baygents has heard the tenant being lined up for Square Foods' current space is another Mexican restaurant.

Surprise, surprise. Hope it is good!

It at least better be real Mexican...there's Mollys about a block away, and a Southwestern restaurant opening soon across the street.

Whom do I need to start praying to for it to be Guad #3?
Posted: Mar 30, 2006 7:10 pm

hahahaha. . . .she's (jeanice) telling the truth. she never uses the word "ass." it was i who used that word and very true, i am very tired.

everything's 60% off. get your ASSES up here.
Posted: Mar 30, 2006 8:23 pm

whom do I need to start praying to for it to be Guad #3?

The Lady of Guadalupe, mane!
Posted: Apr 2, 2006 3:27 am

alright goners. jeanice wanted me to tell everyone thanks so much for the positive feedback and ideas. now, you all can help us spread the word that squre foods is NOT CLOSED. we are RELOCATING, and for all the drama queens and kings that have come in acting like we're going to alaska, you can rest easy knowing we're only moving up the road. the best part is that we're still going to be SQUARE FOODS. it's gonna be great and i cannot stress enough how cool it'll be to come in and have a beer! AND A SMOOTHIE! and good cheese! and a 'square" meal!! all at the same joint!we finished moving everything out today and we are very tired children. expect to see us out, very drunk. excuse for our actions, for we are brain dead and know not what we do.

thanks again; we'll see you soon!!!!! :) :)
Posted: Apr 25, 2006 4:03 pm

Any updates on the move?

Speaking of cooperyoung, i'm thinking of starting a taco cart and putting it front of Soul Fish to take care of all those hungry people standing around.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®