Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / Tigers and NCAA tourney thread
Posted: Mar 12, 2006 11:06 pm

Tigers are No. 1 seed.

Discuss.
Posted: Mar 12, 2006 11:58 pm

We got a nice situation--there are a lot of good teams and it would be fantastic to play Arkansas in a place as easy to fly to as Dallas! That would be great. I think this year Duke didn't get the typical bracket cakewalk it has gotten the last couple, which is great.

I am optimistic...but nervous!

Glad UAB got in too!
Posted: Mar 13, 2006 12:30 am

I think overall the Oakland bracket shapes up pretty well for Memphis, considering we've already beaten the 2 seed (UCLA), 3 seed (Gonzaga) and 10 seed (Alabama).

But a second-round matchup against Arkansas might be tough, considering the fact that the game would be in Dallas -- practically in the Hogs' backyard. If we can get past that game, I'm liking our chances ... and I'd love to see a Duke-Memphis rematch in the Final Four.
Posted: Mar 13, 2006 5:44 pm

So, when is the Oral Roberts game? I have always giggled at that: ORAL Roberts.
Posted: Mar 13, 2006 7:00 pm

you are so silly.

arkansas game is gonna be great!

and i still love chris douglas roberts' mickey mouse voice. glad he's gonna be back on the floor.
Posted: Mar 13, 2006 7:09 pm

He has a mickey mouse voice?!?!?!!? Maybe I will hear him interviewed.

Did you catch the halftime special on Rodney "Mama's Boy" Carney on CSTV last week at halftime of the UAB game? It was hilarious. CSTV is really good. I like their announcers a lot--anybody beats poor Majerus and Dickie fucking V.
Posted: Mar 13, 2006 7:13 pm

"Don't worry, Rodney, we're all mama's boys here..."
Posted: Mar 13, 2006 7:23 pm

"Everybody gotta lil mama's boy in 'em."
Posted: Mar 13, 2006 7:38 pm

i've got memphis playing uconn in the final game on my bracket. wishful thinking maybe, but we shall see. i have a duke-memphis rematch which i am hoping they get revenge! heh. that'd be nice.
Posted: Mar 13, 2006 7:49 pm

You are so dear! OK, I'm going for it. That is what true fans do right? Maybe I will pay or a backup bracket with my other selects.
Posted: Mar 13, 2006 9:44 pm

Why is everyone looking past Oral Roberts?
This is JUST the kind of team we will lose too.....hope I'm as wrong as.....as......as a really wrong guy.
Posted: Mar 13, 2006 10:34 pm

As wrong as Oral Roberts?
Posted: Mar 13, 2006 11:05 pm

I wouldn't write off Bucknell. I don't know anything about them, but dudes on TV said they could beat Arkansas. They're DEFINITELY the kind of team who could knock off Memphis on a bad day and be the sleeper Sweet 16 team of the year.

More on Oral Roberts. What a maroon ... http://www.wayoflife.org/fbns/oralrobertsfalse.htm
Posted: Mar 13, 2006 11:10 pm

You people just wait. I'll be 900 ft. one day, and then YOU'LL ALL BE SORRY!
Posted: Mar 13, 2006 11:11 pm

dudes on TV know their shit!

especially TONY LUFTMAN!

Yeah, CDR has kinda a helium-tinge to his voice, and he seems to be very willing to be interviewed on local tv... always great.
Posted: Mar 14, 2006 12:22 am

You people just wait. I'll be 900 ft. one day, and then YOU'LL ALL BE SORRY!

Hey, I loved "Born With Monkeys Asses"

what happened to that guy?
Posted: Mar 14, 2006 3:29 pm

Yeah my worry is with Bucknell just cos last year they came from nowhere and killed Kansas when Kansas was MUCH better than they are now. Was that last tourney?

OK, one at a time. ORAL.
Posted: Mar 17, 2006 4:07 pm

We should be renamed the MEmphis "Dangerfields"

-----------------------------------------------------------

DALLAS -- During the first weekend of the NCAA Tournament, life as a No. 1 seed is generally like the VIP package at a chi-chi day spa.

You get the pampered treatment: Play close to home, in front of as many fans as you can bring; play a suitably lame opening opponent; field questions about your seeming invincibility. Everything but a mud bath and cucumber slices for the eyelids.

This is not the case for the Memphis Tigers. They're getting the Motel Six treatment here in Big D(isrespect). Mud in the eye, not on the pores.

The first affront came from the selection committee. It sent the Tigers as close to home as possible in Dallas -- but it also sentenced them to share the building with No. 2 seed Texas and, perhaps more importantly, potential second-round opponent and neighboring rival Arkansas.

The Pig People could own more than 25 percent of the American Airline Center's 20,000 tickets Friday, and that could double by Sunday. And they will cheer vigorously against Mississippi River neighbor Memphis all weekend. The two teams played each other every year from 1991-2003, have battled for many of the same players over the years and have no love lost for one another.

Rarely, if ever, has the No. 1 seed ceded potential homecourt advantage to a No. 8 seed.

Then the committee added to the degree of difficulty by pairing Memphis with one of the toughest No. 16 seeds ever, Mid-Continent Conference champion Oral Roberts. Not only can the Golden Eagles play (46 wins over two years, RPI of 130), but they're also more local than Memphis. Tulsa is 3 hours from Dallas, and four ORU players are from the Dallas area.

Rarely is the No. 16 seed this good -- and rarely is it more at home than the No. 1.

In part because of those two factors, there has been a notable lack of sucking up to the Tigers from the fourth estate. A number of national analysts have identified Memphis as not just the most vulnerable one seed in this tournament, but perhaps the most vulnerable one seed since the field expanded to 64 in 1985. Plenty of people (yours truly included) have picked Oral Roberts to slay the giant, and Memphis is definitely the least popular Final Four pick of the No. 1s.

"They are saying this is the upset because they are not the typical 16 seed," Tigers coach John Calipari said.

They're also wondering whether Memphis is too young (four starters are freshmen or sophomores), too unseasoned after rolling through Conference USA and perhaps too prone to quick-trigger offense to survive the NCAA grind. Starting with experienced and confident Oral Roberts.

Yet Calipari dismissed the notion that he might use this sacrilegious doubting of a No. 1 seed as motivational fuel with his team.

"If I have to do that to get my team to play," he said, "this thing is short-lived."

(Of course, Calipari refraining from pushing every motivational button at his disposal is about as believable as Billy Packer cheering for Wichita State Thursday. There's no way.)

From one source or another, the Memphis players have heard the chatter -- about the invading Hog fans, about Oral Roberts' prowess, about their own vulnerability. They know that Duke and Connecticut are being fawned upon, while the Tigers are not.

"It's been constant motivation, because throughout the season we've been doubted like that," splendid Tigers wing man Rodney Carney said. "It motivates us a lot."

"Some people think we will be the first [No. 1 seed] eliminated, so we want to go out there and prove those people wrong," point guard Darius Washington, Jr. added. "We just have to come out here and play."

The level of competition certainly will be a greater challenge to Oral Roberts than to Memphis. ORU is 0-4 this year against NCAA Tournament teams, while Memphis is 8-3.

But the Golden Eagles are not doubting themselves.

"With this particular group, they really believe we can beat Memphis," ORU coach Scott Sutton said. "That's why this tournament is so great. There are Cinderellas every day in this tournament. I want that to be us. We're going to try to be that Cinderella."

Cinderella figures to have every Razorbacks fan cheering for it Friday afternoon. In fact, Oral Roberts fans will likely be rooting for an Arkansas win in the opening game, just so the Arkansas backers stick around for the second game and become rabid ORU fans for a day.

"If Arkansas fans choose to root for us, we'll take it," Oral Roberts guard Ken Tutt said. "We'll take pretty much any fans we can get."

After taking care of the band and boosters, Arkansas only had about 300 tickets to sell to the public, but that hardly will be the only Hog red in the building. Once the brackets were announced Sunday night, the remaining tickets for Friday's opening round were inhaled by 12:30 Monday afternoon, and NCAA officials suspect that a large number of those buyers are from Arkansas.

The school has a long and strong history in Dallas, dating to its days as the only serious basketball school in the Southwest Conference. Arkansas routinely overran the Southwest Conference tournament, pushing aside the disinterested Texans. The players are hoping for a flashback atmosphere Friday.

"They're going to come out in numbers, have their red on, calling the Hogs," said guard Ronnie Brewer, whose father, Ron, was a star for the Razorbacks during the 1970s.

Sutton grew up in Fayetteville at that time, when his father, Eddie, was coaching some of the great teams in Arkansas history. Scott Sutton is not above pandering to the Pig People for mutual support.

"I'm calling for it," Sutton said. "I'm asking them as an old Arkansan to cheer for Oral Roberts. I told our fans to get here early to cheer for the Razorbacks."

Is the No. 1 seed supposed to be the most booed team in the building, instead of the most cheered? Maybe not, but the Tigers shrugged off the possibility Thursday.

"We didn't care about playing close to home because we play better on the road anyway," Carney said. "On the road we have a greater sense of urgency to win."

The urgency should never be greater than now, because there is no tomorrow otherwise. Here in Big D(isrespect), it's time for No. 1 seed Memphis to prove itself worthy of four-star day spa treatment.

Pat Forde is a senior writer for ESPN.com. He can be reached at ESPN4D@aol.com.
Posted: Mar 17, 2006 8:26 pm

Well, I guess all that Arkansas stuff is a moot point now!!
Posted: Mar 17, 2006 10:14 pm

Well, I hope this shuts up those smartypants ESPN guys.
Posted: Mar 17, 2006 10:31 pm

They just had a story from a bar where people were watching. I'm going to a bar next round. That looked fun.
Posted: Mar 17, 2006 10:44 pm

OH YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! we beat the 900 ft jesus school! yes! now onto bucknell. which may be scary. because last year, they upset kansas out of the blue. hopefully that won't be the case this time around. *crosses fingers*
Posted: Mar 17, 2006 10:46 pm

Well, I hope this shuts up those smartypants ESPN guys.

Good luck on that. Notorious loudmouths.

Bucknell. Careful. I think Memphis knows they need to watch that craft team.
Posted: Mar 17, 2006 10:58 pm

Bucknell. Careful. I think Memphis knows they need to watch that craft team.

yeah. i think they know that, but those stupid espn guys were like "there is no way that bucknell will be able to hang with this deep memphis team" or something along those lines. it was weird. i am just like "did you NOT watch the other game, stupids?"
Posted: Mar 18, 2006 2:37 am

Yeah, they are saying that Bucknell won't be able to RUN with Memphis...which means they will just try to slow things down and keep thngs on a 1/2 court game, which they happen to have done to Arkansas today to win.

Memphis will just have to insist on running them and subbing constantly to not wear the best players out. We can get them.
Posted: Mar 18, 2006 4:15 pm

Um great story, it only forgot to mention that Memphis is in fact in the easiest bracket with softies UCLA, Gonzaga, and Kansas.
Posted: Mar 19, 2006 9:34 pm

Pretty much a country ass-whuppin' by the Tigers today. They're looking strong.
Posted: Mar 19, 2006 11:22 pm | Edited by: fierydrunk

Schmatt, have you seen Gonzaga play? Seriously. I also think no one can claim cakewalk at this stage with Bradley beating Pitt and that other game earlier we don't have to mention. Every team I have seen so far with the exception of Duke (per usual) is having to work pretty hard to win...and the teams you'd expect more of are fucking up.
Posted: Mar 20, 2006 12:32 am

Oh and by the way, GO TIGERS!!!!!!

These Bradley "Braves" make me nervous, but we'll get 'em.
Posted: Mar 20, 2006 12:48 am

No Hersey Hawkins, no worries!
Posted: Mar 20, 2006 2:00 am

Sweet 16,Go Tigers! This maybe our year to go to the final four. That would be sweet.
Posted: Mar 20, 2006 2:45 pm

No stopping at the Final Four. Finals baby!!!! And a win would be the best. I would looooooooove to be home that night.
Posted: Mar 20, 2006 3:01 pm

The boys are really looking good! Andre Allen has surprised me, and stepped way up...the little spark plug.
I'm hoping for a return trip to the airport, ala 1985 when I went out to see the Tigers come in. I LOVED Andre Turner, and held up a sign that said, "Andre, want to snuggle?"
Dork. But I love it. And the Tigers. Go Tigers!
Posted: Mar 20, 2006 4:35 pm

Get Alisa a weave and some good nails and call her a...

HOOPS GROUPIE!!!

Yeah!
Posted: Mar 20, 2006 5:03 pm

Wonder how I can sylistically get all my different groupie selves to merge?

There was an article in the paper Sunday about Andre Allen. His mom said she'd named him after Andre Turner because she watched that season when she was pregnant with him. Said she'd never told him, but would now!
Posted: Mar 20, 2006 5:48 pm | Edited by: fierydrunk

Wonder how I can sylistically get all my different groupie selves to merge?

Talk to Theresa K. I smell a sitcom pilot.
Posted: Mar 20, 2006 6:32 pm

have you seen Gonzaga play?

i watched that gonzaga/indiana game the other night. indiana gave them a good run for their money, shutting adam morrison down on his points scored. however, batista stepped up and took his place on the high scoring. they're not completely soft.

now if only adam morrison can refrain from beating himself in the head with a basketball..."caveman not draw foul! caveman mad!"

did i hear correctly during the oral roberts game that andre allen's mom used to be really big into track and field back in the day? like a sprinter or something? would explain a lot! he's so damn quick, it's terrific.

i'm actually glad they're playing bradley instead of pitt. pitt would have been a bit tougher for the tigers, imho. but, hey...they lost...so yeah...bradley might be tougher.
Posted: Mar 20, 2006 7:24 pm

did i hear correctly during the oral roberts game that andre allen's mom used to be really big into track and field back in the day? like a sprinter or something?

I'm pretty sure this is Rodney Carney's mom.
Posted: Mar 20, 2006 8:14 pm

Rodney Carney's mom.

i couldn't remember who it was. just remember that they said it. couldn't hear too well cause the place i was watching it was rather loud besides.

oh...someone was telling me that they saw an interview with gonzaga's adam morrison and that he said he is a marxist. weird.
Posted: Mar 20, 2006 10:15 pm

Um great story, it only forgot to mention that Memphis is in fact in the easiest bracket with softies UCLA, Gonzaga, and Kansas.

Clearly, UConn has the easiet bracket. A struggling UT as the 2, a rebuilt UNC as the 3, an OK 4 in Ill from an overated conference. And now no other seed higher than a 5 is left in their region.

I guarantee you that nobody wants to potentially play UCLA in Oakland. Memphis is lucky that Arkansas lost because it was an Arkansas home game in Dallas (and a Texas home game when Texas played). Memphis got fucked. Bradley must be a good team to beat Big-12 champs Kansas (who dismantled Texas in the 2nd half of the Big-12 championship in Dallas) and Pitt. If Memphis beats Bradley, their reward will be playing a 2 or a 3 seeded West Coast team on the West Coast! That's bullshit! What if OK had to play Memphis in Nashville or Knoxville instead of Dallas as a 1 seed in '85? But we won that game anyway.

We will have a tough matchup against Bradley. Their inside game is strong, they have a fairly deep bench, and they have been playing great as of late. If we can keep Joey and Shawne out of foul trouble (maybe by rotating Coop, Waki, and Dozier in alot on their big men), get their big men into foul trouble with the dribble-drive, and force some turnovers with our pressure D, we will have a good chance. Andre Allen wasn't a short Mr. Basketball in TN as a freshman and as a sophomore for nuthin'. He just needed a little tougher competition to help him improve. I like this quote from Andre:

"I never get nervous," Allen said. "I'm from the heart of Memphis, South Memphis. If you come from where I come from, you can't be nervous."

GO TIGERS!!!
Posted: Mar 20, 2006 10:29 pm

oh...someone was telling me that they saw an interview with gonzaga's adam morrison and that he said he is a marxist. weird.

WHAT? I gotta know more. He is a complete enigma. Other than the Type A diabetes. The thing I noticed (that made me laugh and like him more) was his propensity to congratulate himself (when no one else bothered to) when he finally started warming up and making some plays. He was totally doing the "fist pumping in a a circular mothion" for his own move when he got fouled on a sick drive inside.

During the whole "Mama's Boy" segment on Rodney Carney on CSTV, they talked about his mom's college track career. She beat all the biggies of the day, including Flo Jo and Evelyn somebody. Then she got injured.

GO TIGERS!
Posted: Mar 20, 2006 10:34 pm

I guarantee you that nobody wants to potentially play UCLA in Oakland.

Oh my god. Or Gonzaga. Either one of those teams has sick West Coast fan rep that will hate on the Tigers loudly. I was--as usual--the ONLY Tiger fan at the sports bar. People thought I was "cute" even when they were admitting our team was good. They don't know who the fuck Memphis is; they don't show their games here unless they are playing UCLA or Gonzaga! No one knows who they are but they loooooove a Pac-10 team and Gonzaga is West Coast and a bandwagon team this year. Those two teams get regional TV coverage up and down the coast. So, it will not be easy.
Posted: Mar 20, 2006 11:14 pm

Geographically, Gonzaga's about as west coast as New Mexico, but you're totally right.

Did y'all read the article about Shawne Williams' brother getting murdered? Heartbreaking stuff.

So, Morrison's a Marxist? He musta got caught up in his freshman-year Contemporary Political Theory Class. I guess the 'stache is a homage to Che?
Posted: Mar 21, 2006 12:32 am

The Marxist thing just throws more ridiculous crushworthy intrigue on that weirdo.

You totally know what I mean--West Coast claims the full Western States Cal up thru Wash. And though Spokane is pretty much Eastern Washington, people hear "Washington" and then it is all, "Dude! West Coast! Fuck that Hillbilly Memphis shit." Even though we know that hillbilly ain't got nann to do with Memfis, mannnne.

Go Tigers!
Posted: Mar 21, 2006 12:54 am

Fuck that Hillbilly Memphis shit." Even though we know that hillbilly ain't got nann to do with Memfis, mannnne.

This is what I got against the Bass Pro Pyramid.
Posted: Mar 21, 2006 1:39 am

I think the Bass Pro is different than Hillbilly. Remember: I went to off to UT as a youth to college. I couldn't even understand what some of those people were saying for a few months. And it was the first place I ever heard of or saw the effects of real inbreeding going on.
Posted: Mar 21, 2006 2:12 am

Only rednecks, hillbillies, charismatic Pentecostals and snake-charmers enjoy outdoors activities. It's true!
Posted: Mar 21, 2006 4:12 am | Edited by: sherman

I've watched Morrison play about 8 times on cstv in the past 2 months. Gonzaga plays just about as bad (or good) as whoever they are playing. Somewhere in the middle of the 2nd half, when teams get tired of doubling & chasing Morrison, he gets hot & goes nutz. I think Gonzaga will take UCLA if Morrison has a good game. If he has a great game like he is capable (like throwing about 8 3s in a row like he did a couple weeks ago), UCLA doesn't have a chance. This man is a vicious streak shooter and didn't play well in either game this week. If zags beat ucla & tigers gets by bradley, Memphis will just have to throw bodies at him til he drops. He is truly the Larry Bird of shooting (no D at all though!)

From what I understand, he's not a marxist, just a college kid checking out different philosophies--something refreshing from most jocks. He also knows his stache is cheesy (reddick said he told him so!) & keeps it anyway. Gotta love him!

Who would you take in the draft? A 6'5" reddick or a 6'8" morrison? No brainer! Morrison all the way.
Posted: Mar 21, 2006 3:25 pm

You just need the right defensive scheme on Morrison. He'll usually get his points, but the key is making him less of a factor down the stretch. Put somebody new, like say...Shawne Williams, on him in the last 10 minutes of the game and keep him from scoring ANY points! Oh wait, that's exactly what Memphis did.

Who would you take in the draft? A 6'5" reddick or a 6'8" morrison? No brainer! Morrison all the way.

I would take Morrison over Reddick, but I would take Sophomore LeMarcus Aldridge from Texas (different kind of player, of course) over both of them. He's tall, long, plays great defense, and can make those short jumpers that NBA big men must be able to make. He's a consistently good scorer and rebounder on a team full of solid players. I think he will be a great NBA player.
Posted: Mar 21, 2006 3:49 pm

NBA stars are usually not college stars so someone like aldridge, who I haven't noticed, will probably do better & get drafted higher than the above 2. I personally don't think Reddick will make a factor in the nba. I thought Dunleavy would, but I was wrong.
Posted: Mar 21, 2006 4:05 pm

Reddick is a bitch.

Good morning all.
Posted: Mar 21, 2006 4:31 pm

as pointed out in the power rankings, lebron is (and will always be) younger than reddick & morrison.
Posted: Mar 21, 2006 4:46 pm

For some reason, I see a player like Morrison having a more relevant NBA career than Reddick. I would hope for more interesting players in the league that have a passion for the game, not more robots like Reddick who--wow--shoot really. really, REALLY well. That is one of the many reasons the NBA is so fucking dull. Kobe Bryant basketball.

But what do I know? I just know what I like.
Posted: Mar 21, 2006 4:53 pm

actually, kobe's a more exciting player than the 3 point "experts" like reddick.

that's dull.

kobe wants to destroy you every time he has the ball. he might not pass, but he can make some amazing shots. he's just not likable.

i like morrison, too.
Posted: Mar 21, 2006 6:06 pm

OK, more exciting by about .0000006 points on the low end of the Awfully Dull-to-Mind-Blowingly Exciting! Scale currently in development by Kristin Young!

I am glad you are a Morrison fan too.
Posted: Mar 21, 2006 6:15 pm

looking forward to the complete scale.

where's earl boykins in there? earl watson? earl barron?
Posted: Mar 21, 2006 7:01 pm

The Earls always tend to always at least hit the "Hey! Now We're talkin'!" point on my Scale!
Posted: Mar 21, 2006 8:26 pm

that's what i like to hear!
Posted: Mar 22, 2006 7:15 pm

Joey talkin' dirty!

4. Why does Joey Dorsey wear black tights under his shorts?

"I started it because some NBA players (Kobe Bryant, Vince Carter, Andrew Bogut, etc.) wore them," Dorsey answered. "But now I like them. They make me feel like I don't have anything on, and I feel really light out there."
Posted: Mar 22, 2006 9:06 pm

Posted: Mar 23, 2006 4:05 pm

Hello Tiger fans!

Put the real estate dreams and caviar kisses on hold for a few minutes!

We play Bradley today at 5:30PM Memphis-time!

GO TIGERS!
Posted: Mar 23, 2006 4:25 pm

6:30 cst
Posted: Mar 23, 2006 4:27 pm

It's actually 6:27pm here in Memphis.

Don't get cocky. Play tough D. Good shot selection. Dorsey, they can't stop you, no matter how many 7 footers they throw at you. Follow through with the wrist on short jumpers, Carney. It is time to believe that you are Jesus/Neo/Flash Gordon. D-Wash, don't let this "Andre is the better point guard crap" make you make bad decisions. The MVP iof this team is the unselfish player!

GO TIGERS!!!
Posted: Mar 23, 2006 4:37 pm | Edited by: fierydrunk

Oh yeah--you are 2 hours ahead. Duh.

I am considering flying to Oakland if they win this game. $50 on Jet Blue or Southwest.

And go Coach Mattyb!

GO TIGERS!!!!!!!
Posted: Mar 23, 2006 4:47 pm

go tiggers! go grizz!
Posted: Mar 23, 2006 5:56 pm

is this a pistons thread?

pistons beat down miami in the second half last night. bill walton was all over the heat's jock in the first half about their defense (?!!!! detroit was missing tons of wide open shots!!) and then barely mentions that miami was held to only 30 points in the entire second half, five less than the pistons scored in the first which was their worst half of scoring this season.

and then the icing is the spurs choking in denver!!
Posted: Mar 23, 2006 6:06 pm

Nope, not yet. NBA chat has to either have its own thread or wait til March Madness is done to not jinx the Tigers.

Just an idle opinion.
Posted: Mar 23, 2006 6:09 pm

eric started it.

hehe
Posted: Mar 23, 2006 6:33 pm

Yep he did--quit talkin bout the Grizz, Eric!!!!!

Or go' head but start a new NBA thread...this is no time to be messing around with jinx territory!
Posted: Mar 23, 2006 6:42 pm

my bad. ATTN: ADMINISTRATOR: REMOVE JINX.
Posted: Mar 23, 2006 11:07 pm

They just had the cutest clip on WMC from Oakland. All these little old ladies going gaga about the Tigers.
GO TIGERS!!!! I'm getting really excited!
Posted: Mar 24, 2006 12:09 am

Yeah i saw that...

"Maybe if we win they'll stop calling us Memphis State!!"
Posted: Mar 24, 2006 12:46 am

Man, Bradley's in the lead! It's seven minutes in and we got nine points????
Those boys need a time out!
Posted: Mar 24, 2006 12:50 am

It is OK--well, easy for me to say as I am yelling all sorts of crazy shit at the TV. The younguns are the ones getting us into trouble, so Cal & Milt & the gang need to be schooling them on the bench and they get the moves going. Great to see Dwash playing his game right now. We'll get these Illinois backwoods hos.

(Psst, I LIKE being called Memphis State.)
Posted: Mar 24, 2006 12:56 am

Yeah, me too! It means we've been around for a long time! Really, though, those little old ladies were cute as hell.
My mom just called me and told me the dog was getting freaked out because she was yelling at the TV.
Around here it's de rigeur, though.

Yeah, I think we'll get em, too.
Posted: Mar 24, 2006 12:56 am

Did anyone just catch that about the Bradley 7' dude who is studying to be a chef and "interned at Johnny's Italian Steakhouse in Peoria"?????? Oh man. I will withhold comments on that one until after the game.
Posted: Mar 24, 2006 12:59 am

he.
This game is really fun to watch. They're running it real fast up and down the court, and there have been an lot of spectacular steals and buckets.
Posted: Mar 24, 2006 1:01 am

Who is this jabroni infiltrating the board?

Yeah, they better keep the pressure up and dominate these Bradley kids. Period.
Posted: Mar 24, 2006 1:07 am

I inadvertently egged it on in another post. Ugh.

This is the sloppiest game of the tourney yet. I would imagine that Bradley isn't in the Sweet 16 for nothing. Boys better get to it.
Go Tigers!
Posted: Mar 24, 2006 1:11 am

Yeah. I am getting worried now. Dorsey had that basket and he decided to just kinda lightly shoot it up there rather than take it up with "authority" and get the Tigers hype for the minutes leading into halftime.

Bradley needs to be excused from this game and the tourney and the Tigers are playing all gingerly right now. Concerned.
Posted: Mar 24, 2006 1:13 am

Yeah, i went to Memphis State - so I still say it too.
Posted: Mar 24, 2006 1:21 am | Edited by: fierydrunk

I went to Memphis State for my first year and still have my ID. I am wearing an (ahem) pink tie-dyed "Solidarity" t shirt and have a pixie cut.
Posted: Mar 24, 2006 2:38 am

YESSSSSSS!

I gotta say I am relieved--Bradley just could not hang with us in the end. But, Memphis better bring it to whomever wins b/t Gonzaga & UCLA. It will be too easy for either of those teams to take advantage of any of the weaknesses we showed today.

The drinking has commenced. I don't even care if I am hungover tomorrow.
Posted: Mar 24, 2006 2:42 am

I almost feel bad joking about it, but...

http://www.johnnysitaliansteakhouse.com/peoria/index.html

(heh heh heh)
Posted: Mar 24, 2006 2:55 am

Man, Jackson hijacked the computer til just a minute ago. GO TIGERS!!!!
They did the great second half thing that they've become so good at.

And, DUKE LOST!!!!!!
Posted: Mar 24, 2006 3:46 am

My favorite part of the second half was when Carney finally got the bucket underneath after (I think) Dorsey and Williams missed it and he gave this exasperated look to his teammates while giving some odd version of the Darius Miles-style "horns".

And man, that Duke loss is worth giving up meat for a week. YES!
Posted: Mar 24, 2006 6:31 am

fucking gonzaga. losers.

lebron would not be crying like a bitch after losing that game. not that morrison isn't entitled, not that he didn't feel it, but next year in the nba? you can't be crying about that shit.

announcers wanted UCLA to win SO BADLY... market share? fear of bill walton? i dunno. annoying.

West Virginia big tattoo dude hitting that 3 was insane. terrible way to lose.

memphis STILL got dissed for not having a dramatic finale and blowing out their opponent. they've won by 16 in each of their games. who was calling for 'em to lose in the 1st round? who was doubting 'em? did you see anthony anderson bitching out joey dorsey in the 1st half? they're pumped.

duke losing was awesome. go LSU.

who can look at brian gumbel's hair and not feel embarrassed?

never heard andre allen talk before tonight's news, and yeah, he's from MEMPHIS!

GO TIGERS!
Posted: Mar 24, 2006 7:11 am

I think that was greg gumbel, his brother...
Posted: Mar 24, 2006 7:14 am

shit, yr right! greg gumball!
Posted: Mar 24, 2006 2:10 pm

I'll admit it, I don't follow college ball much. I'm not gonna jump on the bandwagon and say I've been a rabid fan all season. I am a little confused, though. Weren't the Tigers an NIT team last year? Hasn't Calipari put together and nurtured a fairly lousy team into an "elite eight" team in just a few years? Haven't they gone through their tournament opponents like a hot knife through butter? Isn't this the kind of cinderella story that makes for great sports press? If all that is right, where's the fucking press. I get most of my sports news from the web and I had to search through the Fox Sports website to find any mention of Memphis. Maybe some of you big college fans can explain this. Is it because we're a pretty small market? Are the journalists embarrased that they doubted Memphis? What's up?
Posted: Mar 24, 2006 3:20 pm

Fair enough on the tears, but NBA is so fucking boring, he'll never feel the way he did playing for Gonzaga in any NBA game, unless he is in the Finals.

And, that was his last college game. Too much pain going out like that. God UCLA must. get. GOT!
Posted: Mar 24, 2006 9:28 pm | Edited by: elle

watching espn last night, dick vitale of all the fucking people in the universe actually PRAISED memphis and said we have a deep bench and are really athletic. said he picked us to be in the final four for certain.

i really do not like dick vitale, but at least that asshole has us picked and is finally giving someone that deserves it a ton of respect.

i am so so so so so so so so happy that duke lost. i was glad gonzaga lost too, but i actually felt sorry for adam morrison. the poor guy looked so damn down. that's gotta be tough. but hey...i wonder if he'll still be a marxist when he has million dollar contracts waved in his face. hah.

we'll get ucla. our tigers will get it. and man, i didn't realize that andre allen is actually only an inch taller than me. and he hits shit all crazy. hot damn. i hate that all these stupid ass people are trying to make it such a controversy that andre allen is stepping up as a point guard. like it's supposed to cause some rivalry between him and d wash. they're on a team and they obviously get along and are not fighting, so these stupid announcers need to shut their face. fuck them all for doubting the tigers. fuck em.

the funniest thing though...dorsey having more technical fouls than any other player in the entire ncaa. fucking hilarious. him and coach cal are great for those technical fouls. hahah. love it.
Posted: Mar 24, 2006 9:40 pm

Dickie V is horrendous (those pizza ads???? Just when you don't think you have to hear his voice anymore during the games...) but he loves him some Calipari and has always had Memphis' back since he came to coach.

I know re: Dorsey!!!! I had no idea. Did you see the slo-mo footage going into a commercial time out of Anderson SPITTING and waving his arms yelling at Dorsey to calm the fuck down? That was priceless.
Posted: Mar 24, 2006 11:12 pm

I am FINALLY hearing the national press admit Memphis is the real deal after they gleefully threw dirt on U of M after that UAB defeat. The game against UCLA should be a good one. Getting into the final 4 might shut these F'ers up.
Posted: Mar 24, 2006 11:14 pm | Edited by: Uptight White

Judge them on the games they won, don't penalize them because their conference evaporated this season.
Posted: Mar 25, 2006 3:25 pm

ESPN is already on UCLA's jock this morning.

FUCK UCLA. GO TIGERS!!!!!!!!
Posted: Mar 25, 2006 4:52 pm

COME ON CARNE ASADA JUMP OVER THEM YOOCLAS!
Posted: Mar 25, 2006 6:30 pm

I wanna see Digger Phelps eat his words. Fuck Digger Phelps!

Boo Yooclas! YOU SUCK!!!!!!!!
Posted: Mar 26, 2006 12:02 am

10 minutes til tipoff!!!!

All y'all LSU fans better give OUR Tigers some "Go Tigers!" cos I think ours were generally helping your boys out!!!!

GO MEMPHIS!!!

Yay LSU!!!! (for now)
Posted: Mar 26, 2006 2:26 am

SO.FUCKING.STUPID.

Grrrrrrr.
Posted: Mar 26, 2006 5:08 am

OUCH! The only thing that kept it from being worse for U of M was UCLA's awful shooting. There's always next year.
Posted: Mar 26, 2006 7:57 am

"Clearly, Hebert" from the Simpletones 1st cassette always helps in times like these. Maybe next year, will be his year...
Posted: Mar 26, 2006 11:48 pm

Well, I've recovered enough to post. I've almost NEVER seen such a shitty game. The only thing that hurts more than the fact we lost was that we lost to such a lame assed team by 5 points. And UCLA is LAME.

I guess the boys did the famous Memphis thing. But the whole thing was a puzzle to me. WHY weren't they trying to hit 3s? I know they've taken a lot of heat for it, but it seems like they would have at least given it a shot last night. One 3 for the whole game? What was up with that? And, what was up with that damned lid on the basket?
John said they got a lot of shit foul calls, but that wasn't even it. What the hell was wrong with the boys last night?
UCLA is horrible. They totally suck.

On a brighter note, George Mason won today...which means that Villanova is the only 1 seed left in the tournament. I guess that's a bit of consolation.

As for now I'm GO TIGERS still...LSU Tigers.

It was fun, guys.
Posted: Mar 27, 2006 12:02 am

PS...I swear that Bill Walton jinxed us.
Posted: Mar 27, 2006 2:36 am

They were so anxious. And I read that there were 19K people there...and only 2K were Tiger fans. The expectations and the hate that must have been pouring down was too much. You could tell they were all--with the exception of Dwash, ironically enough--really locked up and nervous.

Now that Villanova is out everyone is focusing on that one and the heat is off the Tigers. No more #1 seeds. Oh well--Tiger hoops are back and if we don't have any examples of head cases, we should have a great year next year, even w/o Carney who will still go early in the draft...going to the Elite 8 (even with yesterdays choke) did nothing but ensure that for him.

So, yeah, GO LSU! And George Mason...they are fucking good as hell.
Posted: Mar 27, 2006 4:08 am

At a gathering 3 weeks ago, Calipari was being praised at the Tigers' success this season. He told the gathering, 3 weeks ago, that no matter the standing of a team or the success of a team, there always comes a game that just doesn't work. The team is showing their athletic prowess, they give it their all, but nothing works. Saturday's game was just that game. Neither team worked well. So far as Elite 8 games go, this one has to go down as the worst in history.

But guess what? These kids are young and there's always next year!

Go Tigers!!!!
Posted: Mar 27, 2006 4:07 pm

But guess what? These kids are young and there's always next year!

No kidding. Now Calipari and his staff will be having to do all the work: Keep these amazing kids motivated to stay on track and keep their heads.
Posted: Mar 27, 2006 8:53 pm

All I know is that b4 the loss to ucla when greg gumble asked who had predictions the other black guy commentator said "Memphis. They got more cereal in their pantry."

and afterward greg gumble summed it up best by saying 'ucla played less worse.'

Go Other Tigers!!!
Posted: Mar 27, 2006 8:56 pm | Edited by: fierydrunk

I never thought I'd have to give weird Greg Gumble credit but nothing else needed to be said. Pretty much the sports journalists didn't even bother writing about, discussing, publishing photograhs of or ottherwise documenting that "game" the next day.

Now I am hearing rumblings that Calapari is considering jumping ship to Indiana. What does it all mean?
Posted: Mar 27, 2006 9:22 pm

it means Go Tigers Class of 2026!
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®