Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / Indy Music forum luncheon
Posted: Mar 2, 2006 10:38 pm

Thanks for tellin' em how it is, sherman.

we appreciate ya!
Posted: Mar 2, 2006 10:40 pm

Was it in the flyer? I still ain't cracked it open.
Posted: Mar 2, 2006 10:48 pm

Basically it boils down to this: you can have all the indie forums or panels in the world but if Memphis commercial radio doesn't get behind Memphis music, nothing will improve here. It is good business for commercial radio to play Memphis music and not ghettoize it like on a sunday night at 10-11 or "locals only" whatever. WEVL has really picked up the pace in the last year for local music and that has been great and made a difference (love the new musicians hosting Memphis Beat!), but commercial radio is way behind the curve and getting its ass kicked by satellite. Memphis bands get more play on satellite radio than here on commercial radio. What a joke!
Posted: Mar 2, 2006 11:03 pm

You people are totally cryptic to the impatient, yet lazy.
Posted: Mar 2, 2006 11:07 pm

WHY is there not a local rap showcase on either of the hip hop stations? it would be the biggest show in town.

weird.
Posted: Mar 2, 2006 11:12 pm

Ask Devin Steele. He's got all the industry standard answers.
Posted: Mar 2, 2006 11:13 pm

A4C3 692F DB60 492C 0000 027B BD3D R2D2 C3P0
Posted: Mar 2, 2006 11:14 pm

what is the answer to that? i don't get it.
Posted: Mar 2, 2006 11:17 pm

Jack, catch up! Ok, naras had a small meeting today & invited a handful of label folk, radio folk, promo folk etc. to brainstorm about yet another indie "panel" May 13. (These things have been going on for years and I have never learned anything from them). I just opined that putting resources & efforts towards getting Memphis music on commercial radio would be a more meaningful use of time & energy than a panel.
Posted: Mar 2, 2006 11:19 pm

Where did sherman "tell 'em"? I want to read it. The Flyer I haven't opened? The fruitlessly searchable Commercial Appeal site?
Posted: Mar 2, 2006 11:20 pm | Edited by: Jack Stands

me too slow. Thanks, sherman!
Posted: Mar 3, 2006 3:44 pm

NARAS is a joke!! Biggest bunch of pretend bigshots Ive ever been around! I asked my brother about that shit before, and in his case at his station (where he is program director now) it is owned by Clear Channel.. Basically they have a consultant that lies and breathes elsewhere, New York or something like that that basically says whats to be played in each market. If there is a local making some noise, Devin can submit it to the consultant for review and it can be "approved" or whatever. An entire show with all local artists would never happen Im pretty sure of it. Devin does have a new show that airs on Sundaymrinings where he has a local artist/producer or someone in the "industry" where he interviews them and plays their music etc...not bad and indeed an attempt. With Hot 107, that shits owned by Dr. Flynn and he can do whatever he wants to with his station...theres really no excuse with them, and you know Doc Flynn has his ear to the ground when it comes to rap music.
Posted: Mar 3, 2006 3:50 pm

Flynn has done some great stations in the past. Weird thing is, he gets it going, then it seems to fall apart for no reason, or he'll just change the format willy-nilly. He had the only commercial station that I ever hear the Circle Jerks on. That same station did a nightly locals thing. I still remember hearing DDT and Big Ass Truck on there.

As for the Sunday morning thing, who the hell listens to it? I mean the rockers who go see local shows are sleeping off the Saturday night.
Posted: Mar 3, 2006 3:54 pm

Exactly...they air it when there ratings are the lowest so they dont "miss out". Its about the rap/r and b music scene here in town...not many rockers tunin in anyway.
Posted: Mar 3, 2006 4:02 pm

Um I am not the most educated about the radio in Memphis, but I kinna figured compared to other places Memphis did a pretty good job supporting local music, at least the rap side. 107 and 89.9 seem to play local stuff and talk about local stuff quite a bit. i'll take it over having every station being the crap on clear channel. B-a-n-a-n-a-s.
Posted: Mar 3, 2006 4:06 pm

I don't know. I listen to a lot of radio, actually. I think there's the untapped niche in this town. I imagine programmers give up because they assume everyone is listening to their CD players in their cars, or XM or Sirius, or whatever.
They don't take into account the people like me who still have a tape deck. I usually only pop in a mix tape when there is nothing else on.
My radio schedule would probably be like this, most days:
Morning commute: 10-15 minutes (usually locked on npr)
Lunch: 20-30 minutes (back and forth to eatery)
Home commute: 10-15 minutes (npr, again)
Sundry of errands for the evening: 30-60 minutes
At the house working on stuff: 2 hours in the background (usually talk radio, but I'd flip if something good were on - I did when the Pig was still around).
That's alot of radio, really. And I'd tune in if something were worth listening to.
Speaking of the Pig, if it were around today, I bet you would find RS, Harlan, and others mixed in amongst the Alman Brothers and Alison Krauss.
Posted: Mar 3, 2006 4:11 pm

lute, I don't disagree, but I'd like to see radio doing it's job again: expose people to music while making their marketing dime; not solely living for that dime.
I don't want it to happen, and not suggesting it should, but I see no reason why WEVL couldn't be for profit. Again, NOT SUGGESTING IT SHOULD. But you could port it's entire format to the middle of the dial, with commercials, and I bet it would make money. I kind of wish Drake and Zeke would step up.
Posted: Mar 3, 2006 4:25 pm

Brad from Makeshift and I were talking about this after the little roundtable. One of the biggest problems with the situation is that commercial radio perpetuates this idea that "local" music is worse than there normal programming. Because we deal with the 5% of the population that thinks otherwise, we forget about what's going on in the head of the 95% of the population that listens to the radio and shops at Best Buy. If someone heard Harlan, Bo-keys, Tearjerkers, Snowglobe, Mouserocket - any number of bands next to the stuff they have to hear all the time that myth might stop. But it ain't gonna happen until someone with some $ and/or pull demands that it happens.

Evidently it happens in other cities. Other commercial radio stations are playing local music as part of their programming. That means there is some benefit for those radio stations... If our commission or naras people would research that angle and present a plan to educate these programmers/execs on the benefits of playing local music maybe we can create change.
Posted: Mar 3, 2006 4:30 pm

Research? The past 50 years of Memphis Music was based on that principle!

*Holy crap! Zac! Can you e-mail me Brad's number? Someone from Makeshift left me a message at home, but I lost it!
Posted: Mar 3, 2006 4:33 pm

Duh, that's the lamest excuse that (Memphis) programmers have given me for 15 years..that somehow--by playing Memphis music that is played on the BBC, Late Night with David Letterman, Sirius, or any other national format--their station will be marginalized from not playing another Green Day, Train or Sheryl Crow song for 3 minutes an hour. The implication is that "local" music is inferior to such great product they are shoving down our throats. (Kidding!)

Another programmer jedi mind trick--calling it "local" music, not Memphis music. A lot of Memphis music is better than most music on the radio and if played side by side on Memphis radio, the local music scene would grow by leaps and bounds and benefit many businessess locally--including Memphis radio stations. A strong music commission would have addressed this issue years ago. The Memphis music commission is part of the problem, not part of the solution.
Posted: Mar 3, 2006 4:34 pm

Um I am not the most educated about the radio in Memphis, but I kinna figured compared to other places Memphis did a pretty good job supporting local music, at least the rap side.

AS far as rap, this is absolutely true. Hot 107 was BLOWING OUR MINDS in summer 2004 when Ryan and I were there after being stuck out here in Clear Channel or Paul Allen land for years.
Posted: Mar 3, 2006 4:37 pm

The rap world in Memphis is lucky on the radio compared to the rest of commercial radio in Memphis.
Posted: Mar 3, 2006 4:47 pm

Agreed, I think a Goner radio station is in order
Posted: Mar 3, 2006 4:53 pm

It is bad everywhere. Even in a place like Portland where there are so many bands coming through town, living in town and fans of music of all stripes...there is ZERO radio. There is a community radio station that would rather play Democracy Now! or some Celtic jigs than anything else and the one college station is AM and only gets certain broadcast times as it shares with a high school.
Posted: Mar 3, 2006 4:55 pm

sherman,
Go talk to Drake and Zeke! Please! Ask if we can do a pilot at least once a week to replace the Alice Cooper slot! If they get skittish, tell 'em we'll do Memphis music on a 3/4 ratio with only the deepest cuts of Classic Rock at 1/4! You know the movers and shakers, I only used to write haikus for them on their old station. Do it!
Posted: Mar 3, 2006 5:28 pm | Edited by: sherman

I can tell you what they would tell me almost word for word. "We've got a 'locals only' show from 9-10 on Sunday nights." The 2 guys doing it were at the meeting yesterday. I'm not talking about ghettoizing Memphis music like that. I'm talking about adding a Memphis song an hour (on every station) mixed in with the regular computer programmed list they get from corporate.
Posted: Mar 3, 2006 5:33 pm | Edited by: Jack Stands

I see. Well, one can dream. "Bottle and a Hotel Room" should be in heavy rotation. I don't think there is a Frayserite out there who couldn't identify with that song.
Posted: Mar 3, 2006 6:54 pm

How about pirate radio? It isn't as weird/old timey as it sounds. I've been into shortwave the last six months or so and have been boning up on all things radio and it was quite a popular, if not risky, method of radio from the 20's through 80's. The FCC can hunt you down but all they do is fine and sometimes confiscate transmitters. From the pirate radio history I've been reading about lately, a lot of stations existed a long time before the FCC got them/found out about them as it's usually the ham operators that dob you in. When I say a long time, I'm talking years of broadcasting. Not sure why I'm telling you all, just a recent hobby of mine. I'm seriously considering doing it here but don't know if I'll really have much of an appreciative audience. Pirates can operate on Shortwave, AM or FM, and if you were smart, you could pick an appropriate frequency for whatever format show you desired. Whatever.
Posted: Mar 3, 2006 7:16 pm

It's been done here before, but The Man cracked down.
Posted: Mar 3, 2006 7:16 pm

Triangulation Station!
Posted: Mar 3, 2006 10:46 pm

Why doesn't one of the trust fund kids that peruse these forums get their parents to help them start a commercial radio station. Maybe they can have their parents talk to Dr. Flynn at The Memphis Country Club Sunday Brunch about buying a radio station and letting them run it. Another option would be approaching a rich guy like David Gest who has something of an interest in Memphis music.
Posted: Mar 3, 2006 10:49 pm

I've been going about the Dear Memphis Venture Capitalists thing all wrong.
Posted: Mar 3, 2006 11:39 pm

A4C3 692F DB60 492C 0000 027B BD3D R2D2 C3P0

ahhhhhhhh...i see

thx 1138?
Posted: Mar 4, 2006 9:48 pm | Edited by: Rachelandthecity

Ok, first question - just because it was made here - does that automatically qualify it as Memphis music? Seriously, just wondering what people think about that.

On another note, I've talked to a lot of people about the radio situation too - and my closest ties are to 93X because I used to work in the building where the station was - and they'll tell you that they do play Memphis music and not just on a locals only show - and they'd tell you that they help break some natioanl acts like Ingram Hill and Egypt Central (apparently, they sell records).

And just last night they had a huge show at Newbys with Crippled Nation, On A Dead Machine, Organ Thief and Aurora.

I guess my point is, radio is the lowest common denominator when it comes to music and good music rarely gets played, and people who would be into any of the bands on Makeshift or Goner or any other hipster local bands, probably don't listen to the radio much anyway.

But I could be wrong.
Posted: Mar 4, 2006 11:41 pm

(apparently, they sell records)

that isn't good criteria...
Posted: Mar 5, 2006 12:20 am

isn't the point of getting bands on the radio is so that they sell records?
Posted: Mar 5, 2006 12:44 am

just because it was made here - does that automatically qualify it as Memphis music
Geographically, yes.

And just last night they had a huge show at Newbys with Crippled Nation, On A Dead Machine, Organ Thief and Aurora.
I still can't go into Newbys. Banned for life, although I tried to sneak in a week before the Cool Jerks were supposed to play. I know they have been around forever, but I have never seen Crippled Nation. Do they play in wheelchairs, crutches, eyepatches, IV drips, etc.?
Posted: Mar 5, 2006 12:47 am

The only show I've seen at Newby's was Augustine about a million years ago - I think there were about 10 people there.

I guess what i meant is by Memphis music do most people mean a sound?
Posted: Mar 5, 2006 12:59 am

It's all realy opinion, subjective conjecture, and personal bias guaged against a relatively short history, right?
Lilly Afshar is a Memphis Musician, making music in Memphis, but does not necessarily make Memphis Music.
Posted: Mar 5, 2006 2:48 am

people who would be into any of the bands on Makeshift or Goner or any other hipster local bands, probably don't listen to the radio much anyway.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I don't listen to the radio much because there isn't much on the radio worth listening to. I would gladly turn on the radio on a regular basis if there was someone out there playing music I wanted to hear. Am I gonna set my alarm clock on Sunday Morning (or any morning for that matter) to do it? No. Tell who does.
Posted: Mar 5, 2006 3:06 am

i listen to classical all day long YOU GUYS ARE SPOILED.get some fuckin culture,don't be so one sided think outside the box and i'm not talkin about taco bell.GONER radio sound's like a GREAT idea.
Posted: Mar 5, 2006 4:52 pm

yeah but seriously GONER radio would probally anihilate all other competition best candidate for RADIO DOMINATION.
Posted: Mar 5, 2006 6:03 pm

rachmaninoff's preludes are my favorites

isn't the point of getting bands on the radio is so that they sell records?

i think what i meant to say was that somehow in our pop psyche we equate big sales with good music ( *our* being very general) i don't know how many arguments i've had with people trying to get them to understand that just because a band or a singer sells bazillions of dollars worth of records doesn't mean they are worth a flying piece of shit
Posted: Mar 6, 2006 6:51 pm | Edited by: Rachelandthecity

I don't think anyone here thinks that just because a record sells it means it's good.

I think most of the people on this board that are actually connected to the business of making music and not just "fans" would tell you that the idea of helping local artists get radio airplay is directly linked to helping them sell records or even enticing more poeple to come to their shows. I'm sure everyone is capable of understanding the economic impacts from top to bottom. It's not to prove that they are good, it's to help them pay their rent.
Posted: Mar 6, 2006 8:49 pm

NARAS is a joke!! Biggest bunch of pretend bigshots Ive ever been around!
Posted: Mar 6, 2006 8:52 pm | Edited by: justmyopinion

NARAS is a joke!! Biggest bunch of pretend bigshots Ive ever been around!

I love that line.

I just keep thinking back to what Ron Olson said in a Memphis Star
interview back in the 80s when asked about Memphis music on the radio.
He said local acts need to be more concerned about being played in St.
Louis, Oklahoma City, Little Rock, Houston, Kansas City etc.

FM 100 and Rock 103 played Calculated X like it was a top ten hit in 1983. What good did it do them?

How far did Xavion, The Breaks, Tora Tora, Keith Sykes etc. get? All
acts that received heavy rotation on local commercial stations.

Joyce Cobb had two songs that got significant radio airplay on several
Memphis stations in 1980. Where did it really get her?

The one thing that all of the acts in the above 3 paragraphs have in
common is that they got lots of commercial airplay in Memphis and almost no airplay in other cities.

Those acts were also fairly commercial sounding for the time. Do
you really think the masses are going to like King Louie if he could
just get on regular rotation on Rock 103?

Just another variation of the old "if only they knew" myth.
Posted: Mar 6, 2006 9:08 pm | Edited by: Jack Stands

Wow. I do love hearing the other side of the coin to ponder on.

However, do you really believe that radio play for local artists doesn't help boost record sales?

He said local acts need to be more concerned about being played in St.
Louis, Oklahoma City, Little Rock, Houston, Kansas City etc.

I agree with this statement, however I think that it perpetuates the problem that Memphis musicians have to make it somewhere else before they are supported at home.

Xavion, The Breaks, Tora Tora, Keith Sykes
I remember these days as fondly as my Rock 103 card with the walrus on it. I mentioned Drake and Zeke's station because they actually still have some of this in rotation, and I think it's a positive step.

Do
you really think the masses are going to like King Louie if he could
just get on regular rotation on Rock 103?

I'm not gonna nit-pick about Louie not being from here, because I know what you're saying. And you're right to a degree. However there are some acts in town that are or could be very accessible with a little help from Local commercial radio.

Thanks for sharing your opinion, justmyopinion.
Posted: Mar 6, 2006 9:12 pm

And come to think of it, I do think Louie could get rotation on 103. It'd have to start out as some Rev. Billy-type theme on the morning show, but next thing you know, Frayser would love it, it'd get picked up by Jarmin, and eventually Chetter and Joe Cool.
Posted: Mar 6, 2006 9:30 pm

The heavy airplay in the 80's of said bands contributed to the growth of the local scene in many ways. Calculated X's enjoyed a huge local following. Local record stores reaped benefits, venues reaped benefits. The quality of blow jobs members of Tora,Tora received increased dramatically. All kidding aside. Citing the disfunction FM radio had already become by the 80's is missing the point. I wish there was some way to get back to where radio was before clear channel. Way before! But I don't think there is. Hit's used to have to build themselves. Now it's all placement. A local hit could become a national hit. And it always starts at home. If people would buy "It's a Memphis Thing" or "I'm not strange, I'm just like you" what makes you think they couldn't like Louie? Fuck getting played in St Louis. what good does that do venues in Memphis? Bands in Memphis? Record Stores in Memphis?
Posted: Mar 6, 2006 9:32 pm

Build the local economy first fuckers!
Posted: Mar 6, 2006 10:04 pm

I think they need to redo Overton Square old style and bring back the Pub Crawl and then acts like Louie would have no problem. Drunken Overton Square circa 1980 was the first thing I thought of when I read "I'm Not Strange, I'm Just Like You."
Posted: Mar 7, 2006 1:14 am

I just don't know that radio is very important in breaking music these days compared to MySpace, TV shows like "O.C." and "Real World," etc. Am I totally wrong? Maybe on the BBC or some other station where they actually play unknown stuff, but did local bands like Egypt Central blow up from radio or from some other kind of exposure?
Posted: Mar 7, 2006 4:01 am

Well, it certainly wouldn't hurt...
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®