Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Posted: Mar 1, 2006 4:14 pm

My buddy and I are going to be down in Memphis for a few days next week. Anything going on?
Posted: Mar 2, 2006 4:09 am

no
Posted: Mar 2, 2006 4:27 am

final solutions are playing on friday!
Posted: Mar 2, 2006 5:47 pm

Heavy Metal Karaoke 9w/real band, The Trouser Snakes) and The Sonsabitches at the Hi-Tone Wed. May 8.
Posted: Mar 2, 2006 9:09 pm

I heard ya'll practicing "Hot For Teacher" last night....
Posted: Mar 2, 2006 9:21 pm

HA! We just wanted to see if we could play it with out listening to it. We tried some Cutthroats 9 and ZZ Top, too.
Posted: Mar 2, 2006 9:23 pm

And the theme from "Simon and Simon".
Posted: Mar 2, 2006 9:38 pm

Is Joel in the Trouser Snakes still?
Posted: Mar 2, 2006 9:39 pm

He better be, or I'll drag his tall self from that mixing board.
Posted: Mar 2, 2006 9:47 pm

Okay, I'm coming...just to see if that happens!
Posted: Mar 2, 2006 9:49 pm

Fair warning, Alisa. We're REALLY loud, but we may bust into "All By Myself".
Posted: Mar 2, 2006 9:54 pm

Oh Jack...I've spent many, many, many loud nights at the Hi-Tone. I got my own pair of goldplated earplugs hidden on the soundboard!
And, I think "All by Myself" would put me just a little closer to heaven.

I'm for sure in!
Posted: Mar 3, 2006 12:11 am

you were really loud last night
Posted: Mar 3, 2006 12:15 am

that's what all the neighbors are sayin!
Posted: Mar 9, 2006 12:18 am

And we'll be loud again. Tonight!
Requests welcome, but probably ignored.
Posted: Mar 9, 2006 1:18 am

Any of the "pad" music from Art Bell's coast to coast please. Not so much for myself. This one goes out to the neighbors.
Posted: Mar 9, 2006 6:52 am

did you guys do hot for teacher?
Posted: Mar 9, 2006 8:24 am

did you guys do hot for teacher?
Indeed. We did.
Posted: Mar 9, 2006 8:30 am

However, it should also be known that I got up and did "Unchained" with the Trouser Snakes. I still have no idea why I haven't been signed to the Majors.

ed, we tried to do George Norry's theme music; you know, with the drum machine, and the syntesized Pan flute - a medieval theme...

Also, Simon & Simon was ON!
Posted: Mar 9, 2006 8:30 am

Yay! Jello Shots!
Posted: Mar 9, 2006 6:32 pm

final solutions - saturday
crimson sweet - sunday
cheater slicks - monday
live fast die, dc snipers - tuesday

yikess
Posted: Mar 9, 2006 6:32 pm

stop confusing people, april
Posted: Mar 10, 2006 5:45 am

My first post here. I lived here about 10 years ago, when Eric O. still worked at Shangri La (where I would go to shop for 7"s and drool over him from afar) and the Oblivians played at the very first His Hero is Gone show at some crappy place that also had raves... ugh.

I'm in town through Monday and wanted something to do this weekend besides stare at my parents for the next three days. All the event calendars online suck ass, so I have no idea what's worth checking out.

My plan so far has just been to hit up old haunts and see what I come across, but that could end up being spectacularly lame and depressing.

Any recommendations for Friday and Saturday night would be much appreciated, since I missed the fun at the Hi Tone on Wed.
Posted: Mar 10, 2006 5:51 am

Alix is right about the line up this weekend. It's gonna be a busy 4 nights. All at the Buccaneer. Rent a cot, and just sleep in the back parking lot.
Posted: Mar 10, 2006 5:55 am

I haven't heard of any of those bands, but it couldn't hurt to check them out. Thanks for the tip.
Posted: Mar 10, 2006 6:01 am | Edited by: Jack Stands

All at the Buccaneer:
Sat. 3/11 - Final Solutions/Sids
Sun. 3/12 - The Black/Mouserocket/Crimson Sweet
Mon. 3/13 - Cheater Slicks/Dutch Masters/Monsieur Jeffery Evans & Ross "the Boss' Johnson
Tue. 3/14 - D.C. Snipers/Live Fast Die

Well, sounds like you've been gone awhile. You can get alot of catching up done those 4 days.

I guarantee you'll find some familiar faces in those line-ups.
Posted: Mar 10, 2006 6:23 am

Yeah, it's been a while.... things have changed, but I guess that's what they're supposed to do.

I'll definitely check out Saturday night, and I'll keep an eye out for familiar faces and new ones too.

Thanks, Jack!
Posted: Mar 10, 2006 6:30 am

Hey Invictus, I gots a feelin yer really gonna like these bands. Be sure to swing by both Shangrila & Goner while yer there. If yer lucky, you might even have a Jeff Gunn sighting! I mean unlucky! (whoops!)

HEE=HAWW!
Posted: Mar 10, 2006 6:48 am

Yeah, I'll be putzing around Midtown this weekend. A Jeff Gunn sighting would make things extra special.
Posted: Mar 10, 2006 7:01 am

Where did ya move?
Posted: Mar 10, 2006 7:08 am

Haven't things changed for the mo-betta, as far as the rock-offerings in the last several years, Jack?

What else was happening 10 years ago?
Oblvians, Jeff Evans....
Posted: Mar 10, 2006 7:11 am

<b>What else was happening 10 years ago?<b>

Not much...That was about it really. I remember Antenna beer bust. Sorta...
Posted: Mar 10, 2006 7:36 am

Fuck. '96? Tryin' to think here. '96 was a really weird time. Everything seemed to go to the Jam bands, locally.
Freeworld
Straight Up Buzz

Others around, doing o.k. were
Big Ass Truck
DDT
Mash-O-Matic

There was also
The Grifters
Adios Gringo
Mea Culpa
Ross Rice

There's a shit-load I'm leaving out, so I'll have to come back to it.

Either way, Sherry, Memphis has always been a big incest-fest when it came to bands (I suspect this is true with all cities). Am I happy with what Memphis has now, compared to 10 years ago? Hells yes.
Posted: Mar 10, 2006 7:38 am

Shit. Impala, many more. Memphis, help me out.
Posted: Mar 10, 2006 7:45 am

Mudflaps, Blind Mississippi Morris, Riverbluff Clan...
Posted: Mar 10, 2006 7:45 am

THE CLEARS!
Posted: Mar 10, 2006 7:49 am

THE CLEARS! Yes!

Not Yes, the band.
Posted: Mar 10, 2006 7:50 am

Ron "Kahri" Franklin's 7" had been out for a little over a year, I think...
Posted: Mar 10, 2006 7:52 am

I was really already in NY at that point so I can't really remember 96 so good.
Posted: Mar 10, 2006 6:27 pm

The Neckbones! (not really Memphis, but real fuckin' close)

Junior Kimbrough and R.L. Burnside were both still playin'.

Simple Tones/Ones!

AAAAHHHH The New Memphis Legs (that may not have been quite 10 years ago, but it definately feels more "then" than "now".)

Royal Pendletons (New Orleans-maybe, but still Memphis)!
Posted: Mar 10, 2006 7:17 pm

Well, there was the Your Impeccable Taste comp. bands:
4 Johns, Pisshorse & Cornfed. Earles is probably still living off the royalties of that 7".
Posted: Mar 10, 2006 7:18 pm

Wasn't Jeff E. doing '68 Comeback at that time? Ross Johnson may have been doing The Young Seniors then. I think Hot Monkey was playing a show or two. There were also a bunch of hardcore bands playing around that were part of the His Hero Is Gone crowd. Reuben James? They were a good one. Some were good, some were bad, some only played 1 or 2 shows. You could probably see 5 bands in one night and the 2 you liked would never play again.
Posted: Mar 10, 2006 7:19 pm

Urethra Franklin
Fuck Owens
Hello Larry
Modern Brando
Posted: Mar 10, 2006 7:20 pm | Edited by: fierydrunk

Jack O's solo shows (and drunken drum playing/singing Eddie Money) with The Neckbones...

That coulda been 97...but they were all a blur til about 98.
Posted: Mar 10, 2006 7:20 pm

It all seems like a blur.
Posted: Mar 10, 2006 7:40 pm

Oh and George Cartwright was playing every once in a while. That may have been earlier...or later...or both. Man, I can't remember. I just remember he was great and I wish he still lived here.
Posted: Mar 10, 2006 8:49 pm

Who was George Cartwright?
Posted: Mar 10, 2006 8:50 pm

Youngest brother of Hoss and Little Joe.
Posted: Mar 10, 2006 9:04 pm

Who was George Cartwright?

Saxophonist. Played in a band called Curlew. Used to get groups together to play at Marshall Arts and the Photographic Resource Center (when it was around). He played a show not long after Sonny Sharrock passed and his group did a couple of covers from Ask the Ages. Unreal. Another piece of trivia, the guitarist at that show (and in Curlew) was part of the band that backed Fred Lane on Car Radio Jerome etc. I know I know, more info than you needed.
Posted: Mar 10, 2006 9:05 pm

Youngest brother of Hoss and Little Joe.

I got your bonanza right here, smart guy.
Posted: Mar 10, 2006 9:18 pm

I remember Curlew from when I worked at Amoeba Music in Berkeley in the early 90's, one of the owners being the drummer for MX-80 Sound. Curlew would play a lot in the East Bay in the early 80's, if they weren't in fat residing there.
Posted: Mar 10, 2006 9:25 pm

Curlew would play a lot in the East Bay in the early 80's, if they weren't in fat residing there.

Yeah, I think they moved around a lot. George was originally from Mississippi, I think and the guitarist (Davey Williams) was from Alabama. It was interesting to have guys like that around Memphis, playing to small crowds.

MX-80 Sound

Ooooo, love those guys.
Posted: Mar 10, 2006 10:11 pm

What was Davey Williams other thing? I swear, something erased my mind from 92-98 (hmmmmm, wonder what that was?)
Posted: Mar 10, 2006 10:34 pm

What was Davey Williams other thing?

Hm, I don't know. I think he did a record or two with Chadbourne. He did a lot of work with LaDonna Smith (none of which I've heard). I just remember Curlew, The Pataphysical Revue (which evolved into Fred Lane and the Hittite Hotshots) and the stuff he did with George around here.
Posted: Mar 11, 2006 8:24 pm

There were some good things happening in 96, but not enough good things to keep me here! I moved to Minneapolis then, stayed there until about 3-4 years ago, when I moved to LA.

The Antenna was long gone by then. Barristers was still around I think...

His Hero is Gone was still here, and The Oblivians were still together (right?) and Adios Gringo (I still have the first tape the put out) and a handful of others that I can't remember now. I didn't ever really listen to any of those crappy Memphis frat bands or jam bands, but they were all alive and kicking.

Honestly back then I had more fun going to Green's Lounge or 80's dancing at that place that used to be Red Square, than I did going to most shows in town.

Well, see some of you tonight... maybe?
Posted: Mar 20, 2006 10:50 pm

Fred Lane! damnnnn! "Remember Me? I'm The One Who Cut You"!!
Posted: Mar 22, 2006 2:43 am

that place that used to be Red Square

fantasia?
Posted: Mar 22, 2006 3:52 am

Other than Curlew, Williams was also occasionally in The Shaking Ray Levis, most likely the only guitar freakout improv jazz unit of any note that hailed from East Tennessee. But that guy's been around forever; he's done a lot of music writing and supposedly appears on over a thousand releases.
Posted: Mar 22, 2006 5:51 pm

that place that used to be Red Square

fantasia?

Yes!

So, now it looks like some fancy wine bar... I just did a drive by when I was in town. That place changed so many hands. I have some good memories of that place, mostly involving second rate wanna-be club kids that were more amusing than intriguing, and fledgling drag queens who couldn't get no love at Amnesia....
Posted: Mar 22, 2006 7:29 pm

second rate wanna-be club kids that were more amusing than intriguing

that would have been me too scared to go to the antenna or a "real" gay bar. I was amused by the fledgling drag queens.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®