Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / The Rave "Steppin Stone" / "Don't Hold Out On Me" 1985 ?????
Posted: Feb 26, 2006 9:18 pm

Anyone know what's up with this? Kinda out of time for power pop / garage... from memphis?

Engineered by Roland Janes. Produced by Johnny McDonals, sr.

on Nicole Records

Curious!
Posted: Feb 26, 2006 10:38 pm

I used to see a band called the Rave back when I was in college at Southern Illinois University, circa 82-86. They were a really good powerpop/punk band who did the the college circuit. They would do three-set gigs and play alot of Punk/wave covers: XTC, Clash, Police. But they would also bust out some originals. Could be the same band?
Posted: Feb 27, 2006 7:38 am

Chicago or Illinois might be correct.Martin Berlanstein who owned the Berl label here may have had something to do with it and the 2 bands on Berl had Chicago connections.His son thought that it was one of his labels.It is definitely recorded here though.I do not remember any group by that name playing here.
Posted: Feb 27, 2006 9:38 am

I think it was earlier than '85. I ran across someone pushing the band here in Memphis and bragging that Roland Janes had something to do with their recording session. That was late 70s or very early 80s when punk and new wave were just getting a local start. There were lots of part time promoters getting involved. I don't remember them playing here either. But I do remember being approached about them and being given a spiel of some kind that ended with a business card. I think it was the father of someone who was in the band.
Posted: Feb 27, 2006 1:29 pm

I think they were from Illinois....not from here.....I saw them at Solomon Alfred's and they were really good.

There was a 3 piece band from here called the Rave but that's not the one you're talking about.
Posted: Feb 27, 2006 1:34 pm

Kids from Ill. trying to get that Memphis sound, outasight!
Posted: Feb 27, 2006 6:39 pm

The Rave http://kevinhisel.com/rave/

but I dont think thats them. Something about it sounds familiar though, maybe a High School dance cover band or something. Highland Station era (early mid-eighties), it was kindof a teen club/Rockyhorror theter, and had lots of kid/cover bands play there. Hisky had a band that played there a few times, Neon Wheels...... there was another band I saw around town at dances and such, a three piece that played "hip" new wave type covers along with the usual fratrock stuff. I dunno, I'm reachin...
Posted: Feb 27, 2006 8:30 pm

The local band The Rave was Randy Auxier's band.....the Rave that put out the single eric is talkin' 'bout is the one from Champaign Illinois......I confirmed this with my buddy who used to go see them also......they were uber-good.
Still, it's wierd I cannot find out anything on the internet about them......or Nicole records.
Posted: Feb 27, 2006 8:30 pm

Neon Wheels ROCKED!
Posted: Feb 27, 2006 8:42 pm

Damn.....THAT Rave was from Champaign Illinois......Don't remember them looking like THAT......especially the Jesus looking dude.
But hey......it was the 80's.....I forgot how much I had forgotten about that time
Posted: Feb 28, 2006 6:25 pm

I don't think so... "Don't Hold Out On Me" was written by Bill Beaty, pub by J-Mac Music, bill beaty's BMI songs are here

http://repertoire.bmi.com/writer.asp?page=1&blnWriter=True&blnPublishe r=True&blnArtist=True&fromrow=1&torow=25&affiliation=BMI&cae=209188757 &keyID=22428&keyname=BEATY%20BILL%20(USA%202)&querytype=WriterID

none of 'em THAT Rave's songs...

"Bill Beaty" "Rave" google search turns up a Tesla-coil electronic madman, i hope it's him.
Posted: Feb 28, 2006 6:48 pm

Damn.....I got it all confused eric...sorry....but I'm old......that's my excuse and I'm sticking with it.
Bill Beaty and Randy Auxier were in the Rqve from Memphis but AI did not know they ever put anything out.
So it IS the Memphis guys.
signed,
Old and in the way
Posted: Feb 28, 2006 7:57 pm

awesome! Goner Board Investigations comes up with the goods again!
Posted: Mar 1, 2006 3:24 pm

Yeeeeaaaahhhhh!!!
Posted: Mar 2, 2006 1:02 am

more info coming once mrdylan logs in...
Posted: Mar 2, 2006 6:30 pm

which i guess never happened!

anyway, turns out mr greg roberson was drumming for the last incarnation of this band, not on the single, though.

and there's tapes of bill beaty's genius out there somewhere.

great!
Posted: Mar 3, 2006 4:33 pm

Ohhhhh, a sequel!

Anybody got a line on these tapes?
Posted: Mar 3, 2006 6:40 pm

greg r knows where they at...
Posted: Nov 19, 2015 10:27 am

Anyone want an update on this from someone who knows?
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®