Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / I hate nashville
Posted: Feb 26, 2006 2:13 pm

Who the the fuck do they think they are? I lived there and its one big huge sad little man. Brentwood, Franklin, who fucking cares...Sony, great...how is the poly sci going at vanderbilt? No one cares fuckface. The town has two major thourough fares...21st and hillsbourough and both are cloged with "I wish I was black and understand or maybe I'm so white I'm cool....No wrong again........Phonolux can rot in hell. Heat up some hot pockets, Nashville is a joke. Unless you dont mind paying twice the price for shitty opiates. They really only have so much to work with. We have the Mighty Miss and they have that stink hole "The Cumberland" I dont care how many rides you promise no one is going to pay to see turds floating in the same water you drink from.
Posted: Feb 26, 2006 6:59 pm

Agreed! Memphis is a much better city. Our entertainment is much better, our xpress ways are better and not to metion we are not as back water country. Hee Haw! Heard a lot of this when I was there.
Posted: Feb 26, 2006 7:04 pm

Fuck a Nashville.
Posted: Feb 26, 2006 7:44 pm

Fuck a Nashville.

My sentiment exactly, They are really envious of what we are doing in memphis especially downtown. I heard they got money to build a new baseball stadium on the cumberland river who wants to see and smell shitball.
Posted: Feb 27, 2006 12:11 am

it is a trade off. i'm torn. nashville is rich, brite, and phoney. Memphis is poor, dirty and has soul. go to a show in nashville- no smoking, show starts at a decent hour.- the reverse of memphis.
as dumb as this sounds, after living in memphis for a while ,then going to nashville, you feel fucking tough- you won't catch near the shit- the hard luck,fronting, life stuff that gets thrown at you in memphis. you can spot a badass in memphis- it is a tough town that teaches you awareness, defense, and openness. when a memphian rolls into nashville, they become the town badass by default.
memphis has good local bands, i don't need to tell ya, do I? nashville local bands suck, plain and simple-"no soul, no heart, don't even begin to start to intrest me"-to paraphrase Wire. then again, in nashville the mummies, alkaline trio, and ted leo are all playing nashville in a week or two- shows like that don't really come through memphis anymore.

i'm trying to come to terms that i might be living there before too long. ugh.
Posted: Feb 27, 2006 12:23 am

Nashville is the setting for one of the worst nights in my life. I went there to see a show at RiverFest. I was alone. It rained hard, and I got very drunk.
I lost my (1982 Country Squire Station Wagon - not an easy car to lose) in the parking maze. I asked a cop to help me. He laughed in my face and threatened jail. I ran into a girl who worked for "someone high in the legislature" and she made a big pass at me. I called a cabby to help me look for my car, and he couldn't find it so he took me back to the hotel. I called another cabbie. He came and got me, and we spent four hours riding around Nashville, getting high, and him telling me how his wife was a bitch. I went to a diner with him, and it was like an acid movie. Old apple faced waitress with her cigarette hanging over the eggs, and the whole joint started singing "She Talks to Angels" when it came on the jukebox.
Cowboys. Finally I had the cabby take me back to the hotel, where he found my room and tried to "get me." Fortunately, I was on the phone with the police.

In the immortal words of The Lovin Spoonful, "well, I'm never going back to Nashville, anymore..."
Posted: Feb 27, 2006 3:39 am

Nashvillians start locking thier car doors a good 5 blocks before reaching midtown. Fucking pussies. They say memphis is the largest city in mississippi.... and whats your point. If you have ever been to nashville notice how rotten everyones teeth are. No lie, I have never encountered so many toothless kids in my entire life. Its a cesspool.
Posted: Feb 27, 2006 9:41 pm

nashville is the capitol which is why you have a huge population of dickwads. percentage-wise, perhaps they outnumber the normal people.

i've had tons of work in nashville over the past 20+ years and have always had a great time there.

i'm sorry everyone disagrees and/or has had a crappy time in nashville. on the other hand, it means i don't have to compete w/ crowds for the few cool things i like to do there.
Posted: Feb 27, 2006 9:45 pm

T.K., this is truly a regional rivalry. There's no real explanation for it, it just exists. I've been to Nashville for several shows, and seen several Nashville bands here in Memphis. The head games between bands are almost sureal.
Posted: Feb 27, 2006 9:50 pm

I too have had tons of work in Nashvegas and the only reason I had a good time (on rare occasion) there was b/c I knew I would only be there for no more than 3 weeks at a time.

Station Inn is cool
Great Escape is kinda cool.

for some reason pretty much all the sushi restaurants there are good...
but beyond that it ain't all that.
Posted: Feb 28, 2006 12:06 am

Nashville. Ah where to begin? I think it is just fair to say that it is a regional rivalry in which we will always win cos it was their huge ego complex that started it. We didn't even give a fuck. Still don't probably. Memphis knows it is cool while Nashville constantly works so hard at it; it is somewhat the LA to Memphis' San Francisco. LA got lots of $$$ and flash, but is missing "something".

I must admit I loved spending time there when I was in high school. I saw Jeffrey Lee Pierce there at the Nashville version of the Antenna.
Posted: Feb 28, 2006 4:22 am

Was that the Pantheon?

I used to go there.

I lived in Nashville for 2 years.

Worst two years of my life.

Nashville is the suck.
Posted: Feb 28, 2006 8:07 am

Springwater is O.K and the people that live in the webs in the trees in centinial are alright but still, why do they try so hard? they really like to think they are cosmopolitan. Its just sad. Here is a punchline for ya...Music Row. Derek and angela had a record shop for a little while, not sure if its still open. Fuck nashville.
Posted: Feb 28, 2006 1:35 pm

Derek and angela had a record shop for a little while

it was a book store, and nope it's not there....neither is matt's record store in the front.
Posted: Feb 28, 2006 3:38 pm

Too bad. I will say this though and i'm through...When you tell people in nashville you're from Memphis you are an automatic Baddass. T hey will ask you things like "Do you know any black people?" and "Have you ever been robbed?" I reply" yes I do and yes I have, now give me all your money before I beat you till you piss blood."
Posted: Feb 28, 2006 4:04 pm

i've lived in memphis for my most of my adult life and moved to nashville back in april.

i'll have to say i like it. better city planning, safe(er) and clean(er) downtown, booming markets for creatives and alot of the shows come here and skip right over memphis. my 'carreer' in art for the music has grown in leaps and bounds since i've been here simply due to the support and encouragement of other regional artists MUCH UNLIKE the memphis scene where it is a competition of some sort. really stupid and non-progressive in my opinion.

i agree there is a lack of the grit and soul that memphis has but thats the beauty of being only a few hours away and having plenty of friends and family to crash with. you can visit get drunk, see some good music then leave behind the shit and go to the grocery store in nashville and not sweat someone breaking into your car for two bucks and a pack of gum.
although i do still have that memphis frame of mind that you hide everything and carry everything of value with you if you leave your car in a public place. i'm working on it.

plus i dont mind being the town badass by default due to me 'hard' upbringing in memphis.
Posted: Feb 28, 2006 4:18 pm

Nashville will get its share of crime soon enough. It is everywhere and there was a huge article in the NY Times a couple of weeks ago on how their murder rate has nearly doubled in a couple of years. Not that I wish bad things on the place.

I have spent plenty of time there, dated men from there, had friends move there (and leave)...and I think the consensus is it is just way white bread and bland. I am sure that feels really good to some people, but to me, it drives me crazy. I am past the point in my life where the number and quality of bands that play shows in a city defines a place, so...yeah, Nashville is booty.
Posted: Feb 28, 2006 4:35 pm

That club where Jeffrey Lee Pierce played was a former drive in diner type place turned club--I can't remember the name, but this was 1984 and it was thee place there.

Ah, Nashville had some goodness. The freaks were just overrun by the bland and that still seems to be the case everytime I am there.
Posted: Feb 28, 2006 6:16 pm

"I dated men from there" No wonder you hate Nashville.I dated a girl from nashburg and she enlightened me to the fact that all guys in Nashville have small dicks.
Posted: Feb 28, 2006 6:24 pm

I hate Nashville, except for Grimey's and the Robert Altman flick Nashville, which might be one of thee greatest movies ever made.
Posted: Feb 28, 2006 6:27 pm

small dicks.

This was not the case or I wouldn't have stuck around for a year and a half.
Posted: Feb 28, 2006 6:41 pm

touche...but really memphis men are better lovers,ask any guy from memphis
Posted: Feb 28, 2006 6:41 pm

Or girl
Posted: Feb 28, 2006 9:53 pm

This is true, better lovers yes; I would not know of boyfriends. I only had one real boyfriend from Memphis and he was dumb as dirt in many ways, but he loved the hell out of me.
Posted: Feb 28, 2006 10:56 pm

he was dumb as dirt in many ways, but he loved the hell out of me.

Much to my surprise when I opened my eyes I was a victim of the great compromise.

Why is it like this, why? And, of course, the inverse is worse than true.
Posted: Feb 28, 2006 11:49 pm

I want to wake up to a memphis girl every morning...Every morning.
Posted: Mar 1, 2006 12:15 am

I think the spring temps have jdrhea sprung.
Posted: Mar 1, 2006 12:33 am

I'm beside myself. The smell of spring makes me ferrel.
Posted: Mar 1, 2006 12:59 am

Feral or fennel? Or ferret?
Posted: Mar 1, 2006 1:03 am

Why is it like this, why? And, of course, the inverse is worse than true.

It just seems like 98.8% of the time, that is the way it works out. It is heartwrenching, being in "love" with someone hust because they love you so much. The most feeling I have ever had in those situations is when I would defend the individuals against the world (i.e. my friends etc) who didn't think as much of them as they did of me or anyone else...Ugh.
Posted: Mar 1, 2006 1:29 am

I'm just really fucked up about love.
No parentheses required.
Posted: Mar 1, 2006 5:56 am

Feral...
Posted: Mar 1, 2006 2:49 pm

Spring does it to everyone. Good luck and find a beautiful Memphis girl who is equally feral and hopefully a lil on the smarts side.
Posted: Mar 2, 2006 2:58 am

don't you know that detroit men rule?
Posted: Mar 2, 2006 4:27 am

How about Lansing men? One of those gets my vote.
Posted: Mar 4, 2006 9:13 pm

Lived there for 2 years after Scott Rogers told me how cool it was (just kidding Scott)... but no... I did 2 years. WORST FUCKING YEARS OF MY LIFE. I met the SHITTIEST people I've EVER met in my life there. I did'nt meet *ONE FUCKING PERSON IN 2 Years that I EVER want to see again. Thank you for wasteing my time Nashville. Thanks for ALL the shitty memories, all the rain, all the dumb indie bitches, horrible music, bad food, and makeing me a shittier person for it.

*April & Joe, I dont count you b/c I dont associate you with Nashvillians, even though I met you there
Posted: Mar 4, 2006 9:47 pm

How about Lansing men? One of those gets my vote.

sure, sure
Posted: Mar 15, 2006 5:16 am

Yeah, I couldn't live there. It's missing something. Just bland somehow. I went to school there for a semester and went apeshit... I spent nights driving the 440 loop and drinking Jolt. Nowadays I don't mind going for a day to hit a few stores we don't have here and to visit friends, but that's about it.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®