Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / SKATELAND FIRE
Posted: Feb 21, 2006 3:59 am

breaking news -- Skateland is burning down -- damn, the Gordon girls just had their birthday party there!
Posted: Feb 21, 2006 4:03 am

Nooo!

i'm no roller skater, but that was one cool sign. and rutted-out track!

last time skating: years ago w/Quintron & Miss Pussycat's "tour of american roller rink tour"

damn.
Posted: Feb 21, 2006 4:08 am

they were interviewing firemen about their memories of skating there as kids
Posted: Feb 21, 2006 4:32 am

Damn! Eric- You should get the big skate and put it on top of the store!
Posted: Feb 21, 2006 4:38 am

Was it an active skating rink?

I hope this is not where the Memphis rollerderby girls were skating at, that'd be a show-stopper.
Posted: Feb 21, 2006 4:46 am

my dad watched it burn from across the parking lot at jack's rib shack. he said the flames were visible above the building. i drove by after work (just now) and fire trucks still there although no real damage visible from outside in the dark. Going by tomorrow for pics!
Posted: Feb 21, 2006 4:46 am

big skates still attached and standing
Posted: Feb 21, 2006 4:56 am

MEMPHIS - Memphis firefighters were called to the Skateland skating rink on Summer Avenue around 7:30 Monday night. Fire officials say a portion of the roof collapsed.

No skaters were inside because the skating rink was closed for the day. However, firefighters evacuated moviegoers at the Palace Cinema next door.

Fire officials say there were no injuries.

go to www.wreg.com for awesome photos!
Posted: Feb 21, 2006 6:36 am

What the hell? I heard nary a siren!
B'damn, folks.
There's still the rink near the top of the hill in Rockin' Raliegh...
Posted: Feb 21, 2006 12:33 pm

Damn......The Yardbirds played there in 1965.....September I think
Posted: Feb 21, 2006 3:35 pm

Posted: Feb 21, 2006 4:00 pm

I went by this morning and took some pictures. From the front you can't tell that the building was damaged, except for the black gaping windows, melted window a/c, and a bunch of blackness behind the front doors. Big sign doesn't looked to have sustained any damage, neither the "Roller Skate for Health" sign.
Posted: Feb 21, 2006 4:24 pm

NO!!!!

Is it arson or what?

That is where I learned to skate and was taken off the track by the teenage ref during the races that first day--I was convinced I could compete!
Posted: Feb 21, 2006 6:57 pm

Damn.
I guess we'll REALLY never have another Psycho Skate show, huh?
Posted: Feb 21, 2006 7:40 pm

I saw that last night - I drove by about 7:30 on Sam Cooper and there was some thick, nasty smoke rolling out the windows. I called 911 to tell 'em, but they (thankfully) already had the report.
Posted: Feb 21, 2006 8:01 pm

Posted: Feb 21, 2006 10:03 pm | Edited by: Uptight White

Very sad. I was an East End kid, but Psycho Skates at Skateland was great, because I saw punk rockers smiling and being goofs. The sign was always a welcome sight. It looked like it was closed from the road.
Posted: Feb 21, 2006 10:48 pm

with all due respect to the loss:

http://windylou.typepad.com/photos/skateland/
Posted: Feb 21, 2006 11:07 pm

Nice windylou--anyone who is there get some infrared b&w film stat. A freind and I took photos a few days after our next door neighbor's house was gutted (he died in the fire) and the photos were INSANE. The heat still registers like a week afterward.
Posted: Feb 21, 2006 11:10 pm

Nice windylou--anyone who is there get some infrared b&w film stat. A freind and I took photos a few days after our next door neighbor's house was gutted (he died in the fire) and the photos were INSANE. The heat still registers like a week afterward.

i wish. unfortunately, i don't think the owner is gonna let anyone else in. i think i offended him (inadvertantly)
Posted: Feb 21, 2006 11:19 pm

Uh oh. Well, still very good...and sad.
Posted: Feb 21, 2006 11:23 pm

http://windylou.typepad.com/photos/skateland/

Awww....that makes me sad.
Thanks for sharing, Alisa.
Posted: Feb 21, 2006 11:35 pm

whoa, good photos.

after the fire at easleys I dont ever want to smell that combination of soot, smoke, burned wires, and water again.
Posted: Feb 22, 2006 12:52 am

Sign looks alright, though...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/alisa_in_memphis/sets/72057594068281914/

Man, that Easley fire must have been TRAUmatic.
Posted: Feb 22, 2006 1:19 am

I grew up about two blocks from there and walked over practically every saturday afternoon in junior high only to return ten years later for psycho skates. sad
Posted: Feb 22, 2006 1:25 am

I was a Bartlett girl when it was first around...well, surely it's older than me. But, yeah, Skateland and the "Fare" nextdoor. The Food Fare. Memphis's first food court, VERY exotic.
I got in a lot of trouble out there.
Posted: Feb 22, 2006 1:41 am

So there was a Food Court? At the Fare Four? Wha? I am confused. Remember Lipsey's Seafood then? I was trying to tell Andria where that was last week when she was wishing for a place to buy fresh fish that wasn't some ghetto hole in the wall.
Posted: Feb 22, 2006 1:48 am

yeah I still smell of smoke, etc.
double edged sword. I still feel all sick inside after seeing/smelling/sqooshing through it all. And I didn't even go across the rink.
Posted: Feb 22, 2006 1:50 am

Sorry to get off track, but that little Skateland-Fare Four complex kind of runs together in my childhood mind.

This was from a site remembering The Fare Four:

Spent many many happy evenings at the Fare Four and later the Fare Eight. It was built as a four plex as part of a larger entertainment and dining complex. There was a sort of food-court-sans-mall next door called "The World's Fare" which didn't fare well at went out of business fairly quick. The Fare Four showed art-house films in the 1980s and 1990s. The auditoriums kept getting smaller as they were cut down to make more screens. It was something of a mess when I last saw the hall in 1992. The original decor was completely forgettable.
Posted: Feb 22, 2006 2:09 am

my best memory of many great Skateland memories..sitting on Sam Samudio's piano bench with him & singing a song with the Pharoahs..my big brother was supposed to be my guardian cuz I was so little,but he was busy elsewhere..haha..great memory...we sang "let me tell you bout the birds & the bees & the flowers & the trees & the moon up above"...etc.etc..can't remember who had the hit with that song,but it was not Sam the Sham..ah,but I digress,we're talkin' about beloved SKATELAND!
Posted: Feb 22, 2006 2:17 am

The Fare Four was the theatre, and the Food Court...I always thought it was just called "The Fare". Or the Food Fare. It was across the parking lot in the big building where Windy's dad's BBQ shop is...though, back then that little piece of the fare was a "lounge". Right next to the thing marketed for highschoolers. And then, there was that big, big parking lot.

Lots of boys in stacked shoes action there, and pizza! tacos! hamburgers! all in the same place!
Posted: Feb 22, 2006 3:01 am

before i left memphis, i got one of these prints from my buddy sasha to remind me of one of my favorite signs.

check it out: http://thisisthenewyear.com/design_large.php?thisOffset=3&lineIndex=3& subtypeID=4

r.i.p. skateland
Posted: Feb 22, 2006 3:04 am

I just remember it as the lounge--my dad and stepmom would not have let me within 150 feet of someplace where they would have to spend any money over and above what they spent on the movie and popcorn.
Posted: Feb 22, 2006 3:11 am

Cort and Christian, their mama, other friends, and I crossed the picket line to see Last Temptation of Christ at the Fare 4. I was really kinda bored by the movie...
Posted: Feb 22, 2006 3:15 am

Totally!!! I was in Knoxville when that came out and had to do the same thing--what a snorefest until he was getting crucified.
Posted: Feb 22, 2006 5:01 am

The Yardbirds played Skateland Frayser on Old Millington not Skateland Summer.
Posted: Feb 22, 2006 4:42 pm

When I was a kid my mom was best friends with the daughter of the folks who owned it. She worked there in the snack bar and I spent a lot of time hanging around. I spent a lot of time at this one and Frayser skateland both. Never spent much time at the one in Raleigh. Kelly Mirrelli's folks owned one out east. Only went there a couple times. Her folks were world champion skaters who travelled the world in roller-skate Follies-type caravans. Big Stars! Once he showed me ads from an old magazine where he was endorsing some product. He used to put slide shows together and we'd hang out in their living room and sit around watching them skate in some huge ice pallace in Berlin in 52. Super loud organ-rink music blasting in the background. Sometimes I can't decide which I miss more Memphis or my memory of how it used to be.
Posted: Feb 22, 2006 4:46 pm

This <i>was</i> where Memphis Roller Derby Girls were going to practice - I think that they moved it to Raleigh last night, I couldn't go.

In better news, the owners intend to rebuild...
Posted: Feb 22, 2006 4:50 pm

Sometimes I can't decide which I miss more Memphis or my memory of how it used to be.

Hello.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®