Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / University of Memphis
Posted: Feb 21, 2006 1:53 am

Yo- I'm sellin' my house this summer and getting the fuck outta Dodge (or in this case, Portland).

I'm tryin' to figure out where to go next, and so basically I'm thinking NY, or L.A., mostly 'cause I gots friends/family in both places (though I don't think I could handle SoCal very well).

Anyway, I'm also thinking about Memphis, and UofM, and I was wonderin' if this school is any good, if it's known for anything in particular, if there's someting else better that's still in the city, etc...

Thanks fer the tips.
Posted: Feb 21, 2006 1:59 am

i would definately say memphis over nyc.......much cooler city and people and it's 100 times cheaper.
Posted: Feb 21, 2006 2:08 am

UofM is kind of hit or miss as far as Departments go. For instance, the Philosophy program has been ranked in the country's top ten for the past decade, on the other hand the anthropology/sociology department is basically meaningless to any other grad school in the country. history department has a few well known academics (Penner, Judoken, Laumman, Crawford, Brand), but there are also a lot of professors that teach classes like middleschool substitutes. the music department: performance is pretty dry, but music business and recording are supposed to be good (ask Will). Psychology is good as are most of the sciences except for Geography/Geology. The english department is overall one of the worst in the country, but occasionally there are a few well respected writers/academics that teach courses. THe business departments are supposed to be decent...if your think is being a numberpunching functionary. Foreign languages, except for German, are terrible, and you constantly have to worry about your program being cut. They got rid of mine, Russian, at the same time they did Chinese. Mathematics is supposed to be good - they have some well known folks teaching upper division classes and just plain good professors teaching the lower level courses. My majors were Political Science (which has gone to shit) and International Studies (a self-groomed, interdisciplinary program - worth checking out). Well shit that's a lot of info. I just graduated from there in December. I have no feeling of accomplishment, and I have come to the conclusion that it was one of the greatest mistakes of my life. I no longer have dreams.
Posted: Feb 21, 2006 2:16 am

Man, kol, I dunno what to say... sorry, and, er, thanks.

I'm not looking to really go full-time to school- I'm 25, never went to college, probablyy never will, but I want to take some journalism/writing classes wherever I settle, so that's a shame 'bout the english dept.

I'll check out the music biz stuff though, 'cause that's my other area of interest... I'm gonna take a few music biz classes at NYU this fall/winter, but after that, I'm thinking I'll be done with such a huge, expensive city.
Posted: Feb 21, 2006 2:35 am

for music biz classes one of the top programs in the country is at middle tennessee state.....people go there from all over the world for that program. it's in murfreesboro, tn (oustide nashville).......that's where i went to school.
Posted: Feb 21, 2006 2:36 am

Thanks, April. I'll check it out. How far is that from Memphis? Is Nashville cool? I would think that it sucks.
Posted: Feb 21, 2006 2:42 am

ehh....i don't really like nashville as much as memphis. it's about 3 hours east. right now, i'm living sort of inbetween the two cities.
Posted: Feb 21, 2006 2:45 am

There's State Tech at Memphis if you're into any geeky stuff or welding or some shit like gat.
Posted: Feb 21, 2006 3:03 am

The music biz deal at Middle Tennessee looks kinda insane. Thanks for the heads up, MBarker, but I'm trying to get through life doing as little actual work as possible- hence the desire to work as a writer or in the music industry.
Posted: Feb 21, 2006 3:38 am

The U of M is much better at linking up with the real world in some of its subject areas like music and journalism than it used to be. That can help you get the experience you need to go with the sheepskin.
Posted: Feb 21, 2006 4:33 pm

Joe, just from what I know of you and having spent much time in Tennessee throughout time eternal, Memphis is the only place you would be able to tolerate for more than a month. It is a really great place; there will be so much to adjust to, but it is definitely a fun and forever magically weird place to live.

U of M--it is called Tiger High for a reason. But if you need a degree to get a skill to get a job...well, it serves its purpose. I actually had a really good rhetoric teacher from the journalism dept there once (I went my first year and bounced).
Posted: Feb 21, 2006 10:33 pm

This might sound odd, but since you're thinking NY, Buffalo is one of the greatest places I've lived. The cost of living is cheap, cool architecture is everywhere, and there are lots of literate and friendly Boho types.
Posted: Feb 22, 2006 3:04 am

Thanks for everything homies.
Posted: Feb 22, 2006 3:40 am

Don't go to journalism school. I repeat, don't go to journalism school. Biggest con scheme in history (and I went to one of the top programs in the country at the Univ. of Missouri).
Posted: Feb 22, 2006 4:01 am

I wasn't planning on going full-time... I feel like I've got a pretty good handle on my writing, but just need a little more formal training... Someone once told me I should never take a college-level writing class, their fear being that I would never be able to write without subconciously nodding to what I was taught by possibly shitty teachers.

Any advice on that one? I know it seems a little paranoid, but, you know...
Posted: Feb 22, 2006 6:34 am

I've got a fresh reporter from Journalism school working for me. If he had just read, all the time, perhaps for four straight years read journals and mags and papers and novels and non-fiction he might understand what decent composition looked like.

He tells me his professors thought he had talent (he does) but they screwed him up by telling him he can switch tenses every sentence if he wants to. So I guess it can go either way.

Good luck w/yo move. You should move to mefis but wait until after the earthquake.
Posted: Feb 22, 2006 3:36 pm

College-level writing classes will prepare you for writing excellent research papers your last two years of college and in a master's program. But that is about it.
Posted: Feb 22, 2006 5:33 pm

Our pal John Floyd was in journalism classes at U of M, doing side work writing for weeklies, then realized he was already a journalist, so he quit school and went to work.
Posted: Feb 22, 2006 8:41 pm

history department has a few well known academics (Penner, Judoken, Laumman, Crawford, Brand),

history department rules at the upper levels. all those profs work your ass off, but damn if you don't learn. :D and i love the philosophy department as well. holy hell.
Posted: Feb 22, 2006 8:47 pm

I took a logic class in their philosophy dept and the teacher was GREAT.
Posted: Feb 23, 2006 9:08 pm

You know, I have a theory about the English department at UofM (granted I only took upper level classes, thank Gawd I took AP English). My theory is that the girth of the English students really suck; much more than the teachers. I felt that the teachers dummed the classes down due to the lame ass students who complained about the work load and how hard everything was; when in reality they just didn't want to work at anything. I guess you have that everywhere, but I think those people just deserve to fail.

I found one way to avoid this, in all areas of undergrad, was to take the honors version of a class. If you can get into the honors program, it is so sweet. The classes are harder, but instead of being in a class of 50-150, you are in a class of 10. I took one philosophy class from Professor Lawlor, who is praised for his translations, with just three other people. Can you imagine getting to take the top four students of the class and getting to have your own class discussions, it was awesome.
Posted: Feb 25, 2006 2:59 am

Can you imagine getting to take the top four students of the class and getting to have your own class discussions, it was awesome.

i agree...i go to a small state college trying to beef itself up and we still have small classes with really good profs, and in that situation you get lots of really good one on one time with profs, wich is usually better than class
Posted: Feb 25, 2006 4:15 am

The University of Memphis archeology department was recently in the news internationally for discovering an ancient tomb near the Tut excavation. The team made the greatest discovery since 1922.
Posted: Feb 25, 2006 9:12 pm

You know, I have a theory about the English department at UofM

i took a class in the english department by dr. duck (american lit after 1850 i think was the title of the class), and she is fucking amazing. she's also head of the honors dept now in english i do believe. she was probably one of my favorite profs i've had here at u of m. totally got everyone into the discussions that cared to get in them. but outside of her, i haven't had a really great lit teacher here. makes me wish i was back at indiana university. i miss my japanese lit teachers there. holy shit they were great.
Posted: Feb 25, 2006 11:50 pm

English students really suck

They don't suck half as bad as art history students.

I've got two undergraduate degrees and am taking some undergraduate classes at UofM as catch-up for the Structural Engineering grad program.

Every program I've been in has had excellent teachers and horrible horrible teachers -my UofM experience is pretty good so far. I don't really expect to be inspired by anybody in a technical program, that Dead Poet's Society shit is for humanities fags. I've got a humanities degree too from the Univ. of Chicago but I traded that 100,000 dollars of inspiration for a degree I could use. It was fun, but Chicago sucks.

The facilities seem pretty good and the bursars and registrars services seem pretty efficient and easy to use. The price is great. This school and the last school I went to (University of New Orleans) are commuter colleges -I would consider it important that the city be a great resource to supplement your social life. If I had gone to UNO in any other city I would have probably killed myself. Same for UofM though.

I don't know if this helps or makes sense, I'm too fried from last night to write cogently.
Posted: Feb 26, 2006 4:34 am

Sons of Thunder!
Posted: Feb 26, 2006 10:44 am

I really appreciate all the input. School is something I've never been terribly comfortable with (I dropped out twice before finally leaving H.S. at barely 17), and real experiences and opions from real people are things that seem to be pretty elusive. So thanks again.

And any more of you "professionals" out there that wanna hook me up with more advice- or, ahem, paying freelance work- I'm all ears.
Posted: Feb 26, 2006 2:13 pm

U of M sucks. The Microbiology teacher I had last semester knew everyone was cheating, and the assholes didn't give me my grades for Fall 2005 until this past Wednesday. It was all hurricane related crap, but still... it sucks to bust ass and not know how you did until almost 3 months later.
Posted: Feb 26, 2006 6:40 pm

You should definetly come to NYC. Please bring lots of money to purchase me some drinks as I am very expensive you know. None of that Schlitz crap ya know. Me Bazzoookkka have NEEDS! NEEDS I SAY!

HEE=HAWW!
Posted: Feb 26, 2006 7:03 pm

I actually had some good profs @ the UofM Anthro dept. But I ditched it and went on tour instead. What better way to study people than to play for their drunk asses in bars across the USofA?
Posted: Feb 26, 2006 7:17 pm

The University of Memphis archeology department was recently in the news internationally for discovering an ancient tomb near the Tut excavation. The team made the greatest discovery since 1922.

this was not the anthro dept, it was the art history dept.

electrified donkey-
everyone cheats in the science dept, it makes me sick, but I guess the classes are usually challenging and most people can't cut it. I caught a girl copying my micro lab work the other day. I was sick to my stomach. I just have to know that the day will come when they can't cheat, and it will bite them in the ass and I will reign supreme, hahaha. We must believe that our hard work will pay off and we will get to boss those biotches around when we are doctors and they are the weak nurses that are only nurses because the demand is so large. No offense to the real nurses out there.
Posted: Feb 27, 2006 2:19 am

Amen luteinizer! I didn't cheat, and I felt stupid for it. But I finally got my grades... 3A's and a B!
Lets start a Goner Medical clinic...
Posted: Feb 27, 2006 2:25 am

Please please please, from one who knows, don't turn into an arrogant doc. Be nice to the minions!
Posted: Feb 27, 2006 3:16 pm

It is hard not to turn slightly arrogant, most people who want to be doctors have to work really really hard to get there, and have a sense of pride in their hard work. Most premed students are also very dilligent and it is sickening to watch so many nursing students cheat. If anything the nurses need to step it up a notch and have respect for themselves enough to really work their way through school. And I know this is a generalization, because I do know many many great nurses; many that are better than some of the crappy doctors I know. I would just like to see a little more effort and a little less cheating. That is all it takes.

Congrats on the great grades. I have an A in micro now, hopefully I can keep it.

Lets start a Goner Medical clinic...
I don't know, I plan on making some money at some point in my life.
Posted: Feb 27, 2006 5:05 pm

Yeah, but be on my side for a sec. I also worked hard and work very hard in my position as a social worker. Doctors would have no clue how to do my job just as I have no clue how to do theirs. I know and have known many docs who remain civil and know how to get their bread buttered. Asshole doctors who talk down to me and give me incomplete info on a case and sniff down their noses to me, well, it is hard to help them when they come screaming to me in a mad panic for help when THEY need it. For the most part, the docs are great, but there is no excuse for warrantless arrogance...and it is typically the residents that are the worst.
Posted: Feb 27, 2006 5:25 pm

I'll agree I have seen some bad residents. Most of them had to kiss my ass at work because I could evicerate a body in less than 15 minutes and knew a hell of a lot more than they did about autopsies. Thet are the reason I decided I could become a doctor. I figured if those idiots could be doctors, then I could.
Posted: Feb 27, 2006 5:30 pm

I figured if those idiots could be doctors, then I could.

This is my thought! If I could handle all that gore, then I'd be in there in a flash.

I get along with most of the docs, residents and fellows up here because I am a master social worker aka professional manipulator. SKILLS baby!!!!
Posted: Mar 1, 2006 4:09 pm

One of the reasons I want to be a doctor is because of all the bad ones I've seen around. You can be smart and be good to your patients.
I don't ever want to be arrogant, but it kind of happens to everyone whether your field is oncology or Thin Lizzy.
Posted: Mar 1, 2006 4:13 pm

oncology or Thin Lizzy
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
Posted: Mar 1, 2006 4:15 pm

After meeting so many of late, I wonder how "smart" some of them really are?
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®