Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / clothing store in cooper young
Posted: Feb 16, 2006 12:06 am | Edited by: hemant

article about it here http://www.memphisdailynews.com/Editorial/StoryFocus.aspx?id=91712

Memphis Daily News.

its nice to see more retail around there instead of just restaurants.
Posted: Feb 16, 2006 4:10 am

there's actually two open in the same block! lightspeed (or something) is another youthy-oriented vintage store... the more retail over there, the better.
Posted: Feb 16, 2006 4:21 pm

Excellent!

This gives me hope for eventually doing my thing there. It would be considerably different, but Eric is right, the more retail, the better.
Posted: Feb 16, 2006 5:58 pm

it's LIGHT YEARS vintage, sorry. Both stores run by semmingly nice folk (meaning i met 'em but don't "know" 'em).

The block is Hottt! Bring it on!
Posted: Feb 16, 2006 6:13 pm

My favorite store here sells a small stock of men's and women's clothing and accessories. Nothing is over $250-$300 and that is the minority. Most things are $60-$200. And they are gorgeous, very hip, few-of-a-kind, small designers, most national, some local. Is that way above the price point for Memphis shoppers right now?
Posted: Feb 16, 2006 8:07 pm

Light Years has awesome t-shirts at really great prices--some really great Memphis ephemera.
Posted: Feb 16, 2006 8:30 pm

they're estate sale rulers, haven't been in the store but i've seen 'em score in the field.
Posted: Feb 16, 2006 9:50 pm

$60-$200

i think this is a good spread. I think people in Memphis are willing to pay more for unique items and not in a mall way the hell out in bumble.
Posted: Feb 16, 2006 10:47 pm

Good to know! When you look at it, it is a great deal when crap mass-produced in some sweatshop somewhere costs that much or more at the mall.

Also, I know the local designer thing is a bit over-the-top here in creative Portland, but it has produced some fantastic stuff and I like supporting people locally who are doing cool things. Are there people in Memphis designing and making clothes, etc? "Etc" would be cool home items, like candles, soaps, glassware, jewelry...not Otherlands stylie, but you know the deal.
Posted: Feb 17, 2006 12:37 am

Gonna get me some a them Swedish devil jeans. Yessir.
Posted: Feb 17, 2006 1:25 am

Swedish devil jeans? Do tell.
Posted: Feb 17, 2006 1:30 am

yes, do tell!
Posted: Feb 17, 2006 3:24 pm

"Etc" would be cool home items, like candles, soaps, glassware, jewelry
I used to score cool 'etcetera's' (home stuffs) that you mention @ that place next-ish to Goner...I can't remember the name but it's on the same side east of Java Cabana (whose hours are simply indecipherable for out-of-towners--not open in the a.m.?? a coffee house? maybe it's just me.) But anyways really neat home stuff there years back for years running.
Posted: Feb 17, 2006 3:47 pm

Me too--Heather Belz worked there for awhile. One of those "Cool Ladies with Money" (there are a number of those in Midtown, held over from the 70's) owned that. I think it changed hands and then she eventually opened a bigger one that was definitely more "Metropolitan Home" than "Dwell" at this huge old home on McLean behind Starbucks.
Posted: Feb 17, 2006 3:54 pm

that makes sense. Dwell. I remember that place. Never made it in there. Is it still there? I always need me some last minute xmas gifts.
Posted: Feb 17, 2006 4:21 pm

that place behind starbucks turned into ODETTA (really? i think so) with expensive antiques and knicky knackers.... then went under. don't know what's there now.

there ARE a bunch of talented folks doing little stuff that might need a good visible outlet for their wares- we've got these great little leather wallets from our friend emily selling for 10 bucks- way too cheap for the work she does on 'em, but that's about the price for memphis.
Posted: Feb 17, 2006 5:47 pm

place behind starbucks

i think it might be cosmic closet now

a bunch of talented folks

i don't know any details, but i am pretty sure this guy luke went to some canadian design school

and there were a few "fashion shows" a while back that showcased young local designs, don't know what happened to them all. One girl, Stephanie, designs with/for a local store i think it is called pushwear?
Posted: Feb 17, 2006 6:00 pm

By "Dwell", I meant the magazine in comparison to "Metropolitan Home" (comapring aesthetics). I think the place in Cooper-Young was called Nest.
Posted: Feb 17, 2006 6:01 pm

I think people will pay more if they are charged more for things; it just takes time to help people realize how much work goes into something. I can't afford everything I want, but someone can!!!!
Posted: Feb 17, 2006 6:33 pm

the place in C-Y was called Bella Notte. they definitely have some pretty stuff, but their baby clothes are ridiculously expensive!

Odette was wonderfully glamorous in an Anthropologie kinda way, and I was actually surprised that they shut down. we bought/rented tons of stuff from them for 21 Grams. I couldn't afford most of the stuff in there, but I did buy many indulgent christmas/birthday presents. and yep, Cosmic Closet is open there now.

the handmade thing really hasn't caught on in memphis, or when it's available, it's at NY prices. the MCA students christmas bazaar was incredibly expensive the last 2 years, cute, funky, handcrafted stuff that cost about 10X what it was worth ($60 pillows, for chrissake).

nobody bought my Goner soap...
Posted: Feb 17, 2006 6:43 pm

Swedish devil jeans? Do tell.

In Sweden, a company called cheap monday has started making tight black, straight leg jeans. On the tag is a skull with an upside down cross in the forehead. Christian groups are up in arms because the rockers are buying inexpensive dungarees that send a corrupt message to today's youth. I want some.
Posted: Feb 17, 2006 6:45 pm

Of course you do. I am glad that the Cort of 1991 is the same in some ways as the Cort of 2006.
Posted: Feb 17, 2006 6:48 pm

Suits, ties, and black Levi's. Or devil jeans, if I can get em.
Posted: Feb 17, 2006 6:50 pm | Edited by: fierydrunk

I think the best way to sell the "handmade" thing is to intersperse the really good, not obviously overpriced items in with the small, indie design label stuff that is more mass-produced but better looking/fitting and more easily variable at price points (from lower to higher).

I am not a big fan of much of the handmade clothing as the people can't sew half the time and the fit sucks. But there are great exceptions to this rule. I am more of devotee of the small labels that sell really original, gorgeous and flattering stuff. I'll pay $150 or more for something if only 2 or 3 other people in town may ever own it and it looks awesome.
Posted: Feb 17, 2006 6:54 pm

Bella Notte.--that's it. Does the Goner soap have a Man with Gun symbol on it?

$60-$200--maybe I'm just an ol' skinflint but I live in an expensive-ass town and still don't pay that kinda dough for clothing except for some kicks(yo)...+60 bucks and I better be walkin' with at least 3 shirts and some complimentary skin cream.
Posted: Feb 17, 2006 6:58 pm

You're a boy. And a straight boy at that.
Posted: Feb 17, 2006 7:05 pm

HA! outed. damn you, fierydrunk.
Posted: Feb 17, 2006 7:16 pm

WHERE IS MY WIFE?!?!?!?!?!
Posted: Feb 17, 2006 7:19 pm

Man With Gun Soap!
Posted: Feb 17, 2006 7:24 pm

(ahem)...

Goner. Coffee. Mug. Needed. Yesterday.
Posted: Feb 17, 2006 7:25 pm

tota-f'n-lee!
Posted: Feb 17, 2006 7:28 pm

I need a Goner lobster bib.
Posted: Feb 17, 2006 7:36 pm

THEY'RE ALREADY ON THE INSIDE!!!!!!!!
Posted: Feb 17, 2006 7:39 pm

Matthew -- your're straight???
dAMn!

Man With Gun soap coming up... extra foamy and scented to clean even the grungiest gutter punk!
Posted: Feb 17, 2006 7:40 pm

There's the Painted Planet for handmade stuff (etc.s) near Goner, I believe, but I've never been in there.
Also, there's a good bit of home stuff, plus jewelry, at the Midtown Artist Market, where I have photos and collages. Some of the MAM stuff is not everyone's cup of tea, but I like the fact that everything in there is local "art", and the Market is run as a collective.
Posted: Feb 17, 2006 7:42 pm

make it smell like Burger King onion rings.
Posted: Feb 17, 2006 7:44 pm

PUT THE PRESIDENT ON!!!!!!!!!!
Posted: Feb 17, 2006 7:45 pm

So many straight men livin' where you least expect it--watching Project Runway and talkin' soaps and such.
Posted: Feb 17, 2006 7:52 pm

Please add to cart...

1 MWG Soap.
2 'Goner' Coffee Mugs.
1 $100 gift certificate to Kiehl's
and
your most current copies of Blacktail and Juggs.

thanks.
Posted: Feb 17, 2006 9:14 pm

Matthew, I share your Kiehl's indulgence, and I HAVE juggs... any way we could make beautiful music together, or is that 2nd coffee mug for someone else???

Alisa -- nothing personal, but in my opinion the stuff at Painted Planet is definitely more crafty than stylish, at least in the popular Parson's/RISD sense of the word -- go to www.day-lab.com to see what I mean...
Posted: Feb 17, 2006 9:30 pm

that mug's for these tears(or xtrr milk--bing!)

I'd like to make a Long Distance Dedication please. It's for andria in Memphis. can you please play that Dire Straits song about distance, loss, message board romances, no internet @ home, friendships, peace, livin on a prayer, and gettin to 2nd base. I miss you. Be strong.
Posted: Feb 17, 2006 9:36 pm

talkin' soaps and such.

i used to work with this home grown memphis black preacher, nicest guy ever, and completely straight, he loved the young and the restless. He even got me hooked for a bit. I think he got hooked by another guy who worked with us. He was staight, but wierd in an OJ way.
Posted: Feb 17, 2006 9:48 pm

Alisa -- nothing personal, but in my opinion the stuff at Painted Planet is definitely more crafty than stylish
I've never been in Painted Planet, Andria, so I don't know what they have there!
At the MAM they have some really nice, sleek, hand made tables now. Accent tables and the like, also handmade sushi sets, etc. I think the artist who does them is named Cheryl Hazleton. Jen Winfrey's also at the Market, and she does great ceramic work...tables, bowls, framed stuff. I think the Market has the same rep as the PP (crafty shit) but there's really some work worth looking at in there.
Posted: Feb 17, 2006 10:26 pm

I agree -- I've seen some beautiful pottery at the MAM -- will hafta check out those tables.

I just bought a buncha house plants to add to my family -- I need some spring in here!
Posted: Feb 17, 2006 11:36 pm

My houseplants barely made it through the 1.5 months of rain out here. My hanging ivy completely choked and two of the stalks on our little jade got root rot from not enough sun/overwatering. So sad.

Back to Dr. Phil. He sucks but I can't turn away from the car wrecks on his show.
Posted: Feb 17, 2006 11:44 pm

Now, fiery. This line of reasoning will have you watching Oprah in no time!

I'm the houseplant kiss of death. Mom gave me an African violet today with a spiffy little self watering AV pot. Hmm.
Posted: Feb 18, 2006 1:12 am

Nah, Oprah is a total snorefest. Dr. Phil, while a total joke, has more ridiculous and trashy guests. Oprah used to "go there" but now she too high class.
Posted: Feb 18, 2006 1:21 am

I still can't believe you people aren't watching Starting Over. 10 AM NBC.

Is it Dr. Phil? Is it Maury Povich? Is it Fear Factor? Is it a Soap Opera?

Yes. Yes to all of it. Women with issues competing for sanity.
Posted: Feb 18, 2006 1:22 am

Is this the one where they organize a team of experts to "fix" these self-obsessed damaged women???
Posted: Feb 18, 2006 1:23 am

gawd. i seen that! i seen it!

holy cow.

it beats THE VIEW, though.
Posted: Feb 18, 2006 1:53 am

TAXI!!!!!!
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®