Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / what downtown memphis needs is a prime outlet mall
Posted: Feb 7, 2006 1:57 am

Is there anybody out there that knows about downtown memphis and their need for a new mall. Prime outlets is a retail destination with outlet stores such as fossil, polo, coach, timberland,hugo boss, neiman marcus,
tommy, bass, hagger,and many more. this would attract many toutist from Ark. Mo. miss. and west Tn. This mall would be great for memphis.
Posted: Feb 7, 2006 2:52 pm

They tried that once, it was called Beale Street Landing, many years ago, it failed miserably, but a great idea though. That lot was razed last year for the new 23 story tower to be built there - someday.

Belz would never allow something to come to downtown to compete with Peabody Place, that place is livin on a prayer as it is, it takes an army of rent-a-cops to keep it afloat. Go there on a saturday night and you'll see what I mean.

I've been thinking lately that Target should give up on Midtown and consider some site near Uptown and Mud Island, there are some great lots there.

LETS TALK ABOUT THE BASS PRO PYRAMID!! What the hell is up with that.
Posted: Feb 7, 2006 2:54 pm

From what I understand, it's really happening. I still ain't into it...
Posted: Feb 7, 2006 3:26 pm

Mr. Epps,

Are you a spokesman for Prime Outlets?
Posted: Feb 7, 2006 4:04 pm

I was wondering the same thing.
Posted: Feb 7, 2006 4:32 pm

Isn't this his second post that says the same, exact thing?

Malls are o-v-e-r. Any sort of mall. Outlet malls belong like 45 miles outside "The City". That is just what makes them attractive because it dupes people driving on the interstate into thinking they are actually getting a steal when they are really just getting things at maybe 5% off the norm and/or cheap cheap cheap, horribly made textiles/clothing at ridiculouly high markups. It is a total scam.
Posted: Feb 7, 2006 4:33 pm

The third. I got an e-mail, too.
Posted: Feb 7, 2006 7:19 pm

Apparently, the new term for a mall is "lifestyle center"
Posted: Feb 7, 2006 7:49 pm

Apparently, the new term for a mall is "lifestyle center"
Deep down you knew that anyplace with a food court deserves that moniker.

As for a mall downtown, I would support it as long as someone was making a documentary paralleling the liberation of Iraq with the rise of American Eagle.
Posted: Feb 7, 2006 7:52 pm

Mr. Epps? WE'VE BEEN HAD!!!!!
Posted: Feb 7, 2006 7:59 pm

Seriously, I did get an e-mail about this last night. Weird.
Posted: Feb 7, 2006 8:00 pm

In fact, it creeped me out to the point of googling him.
Posted: Feb 8, 2006 1:50 am

Apparently some people make statements without being properly informed.I have been to prime outlets in lebannon tn. and the mark down was great 40 to 65 below retail. Second as far outlet malls belonging 45 miles outside of a city some are yes but how about Chattanooga warehouse row prime outlets located in downtown . I would suggest some of you to visit prime outlets and then post a comment.Matalac thanks for the info about beale street landing trying that once before. you seem to be the only one thats informed and knowledgeable. Prime outlets indoor mall would be the best thing to happen to downtown memphis
Posted: Feb 8, 2006 2:27 am

Hey, man. Do you fly airplanes, or are you in any way affiliated with skydivers??
Posted: Feb 8, 2006 2:31 am

wow. A "prime outlets" (what the hell is that?) bot.
Really, Mr. Epps.
you seem to be the only one thats informed and knowledgeable. Prime outlets indoor mall would be the best thing to happen to downtown memphis
What about Family Dollar?
Posted: Feb 8, 2006 2:34 am

Mr. Epps, do you represent Prime Outlets? Do they read your copy? Do they use a translator when doing so?
Posted: Feb 8, 2006 3:42 am

Why don't you go to the site Alisa you will know what it is. Family dollar?
It used to be one on main street mall. Before downtown started to urbanize. It closed.Get out of the stone ages. As for you earles no I don't represent them but I do recognize a good thing for my city when I see it.
Why don't you non believers go to southendmemphis.com They already have plans for Market place a retail hub.What you don't Know is prime outlets is being planed for market place as we speak!!. Get your knowledge up then post a remark.
Posted: Feb 8, 2006 3:45 am

Mr. Epps, you haven't answered my question.
Posted: Feb 8, 2006 4:18 am

No I don"t Fly planes or skydive. But I'll piss on your head and tellyou it's raining !you'll probably believe it as gulable as you write.
Posted: Feb 8, 2006 4:23 am

mr epps... have we met? the piss part sounds familiar, yes?
Posted: Feb 8, 2006 4:27 am

Beg pardon, Mr. Epps. I've been intrigued until this point. I'm glad to see you posted a new thread on your own. After I received your e-mail last night, I decided to google your name and Prime Outlets. Your name + Memphis only revealed a flying enthusiast. Hence the question.
Posted: Feb 9, 2006 1:23 am

Downtown still has a Family Dollar on the mall... gee, mall, never mind. While it's not an outlet mall, there is Peabody Place which I think fills the mall quota downtown. If you are going to have a conventional mall you'd better have the parking. That just won't happen downtown. The real estate is too valuable.
Posted: Feb 9, 2006 1:26 am

I'm still trying to figure out why we would want to attract people from MS and AR to downtown.
Posted: Feb 9, 2006 1:37 am

I'm all for attracting anyone who has the money to spend. The more sales tax paid by folks who don't consume local government services the merrier. I don't know that we have to really try that hard either. We're the only real downtown for at least 200-300 hundred miles in each direction. We've been the big city for generations of people in Mississippi, Arkansas and West Tennessee.
Posted: Feb 9, 2006 2:27 am

I'm all for attracting anyone who has the money to spend. The more sales tax paid by folks who don't consume local government services the merrier.

I agree... I just think downtown is growing fine on its own. There's no need to burden it with out of town shoppers. If anything, downtown needs more neighborhood businesses that support its own growing population, like grocery stores.
Posted: Feb 9, 2006 2:34 am

Mr. Epps brings to the table three concepts:

A). Prime Outlets

B). Residentials in the Calhoun area of South Main (conceived by the same folks proposing the athletic center at Libertyland, Looney, Ricks and Kiss)

C). Bass Pro Shops inthe Pyramid, proposed by the Ericson Group (the guy that brought the first concert to the Pyramid, which was Van Hagar).
Posted: Feb 9, 2006 3:13 am

By "Residentials" do you just mean "Housing" or is this some harkening back to the '80's naming of a store or mall featuring a home and living concept?

It reminds me of "Units", the lycra basics clothing store in Hickory Ridge Mall.
Posted: Feb 9, 2006 3:27 am

Be not fooled. This plan all caters to affluence. How dare the thought of the Family dollar.
Posted: Feb 9, 2006 3:30 am

Posted: Feb 9, 2006 3:53 am

fercrissakes...I was just making a little joke.
How dare the thought of the Family dollar.
This one.
Mr. Epps got very upset about it.
Posted: Feb 9, 2006 3:54 am

I know you right, A.
Posted: Feb 9, 2006 4:16 am

Jack got (my) back!
Posted: Feb 9, 2006 4:33 am

Alright bro! You guys had me at southendmemphis.com. Gonna eat some vittles at Arcade! Booya! Take my ladies by the Lorraine motel, impress them with tales of assassination. I'm down like that! Bangin, my brothas!
Posted: Feb 9, 2006 4:43 am

Yo?
Posted: Feb 9, 2006 11:51 pm

It's good to see we finally got some serious disscussion about the proposed outlet mall. Johnny moondog brings a good point about parking.
However my friend if you look at the model I'm proposing Chattanooga warehouse row prime outlets it would have a indoor parking garage. (Witness)wwww.Chattanooga warehouse row. As far as the real estate being to valuble. There are a number of old warehouse building that fit the price of my proposal. Jack Stands shows intellect in his break down of my concepts.
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 12:03 am

Keep in mind what I'm talking about is not like oprymills mall in nashville .
But like chattanooga a development of old abandoned buildings. Turned into office space and an indoor outlet mall in downtown. Very upscale with hardwood floors and escalators. And top retailers. Three concepts:

(A) Redevelopment and office space

(B)Retail

(C)More Tourism Dollars$$$
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 12:14 am

I'll leave Peabody Place filling the mall quota, to the rest of the forum. I don"t see it.
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 1:08 am

(Witness)wwww.Chattanooga warehouse row.

Epps, you must improve your spelling if you ever wish to succeed in the business world. Any presentation with your spelling and grammar would be laughed out of town.
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 1:33 am

February 9, 2006
David G. Phillips
217 E. Redwood, 20th Fl.
Baltimore, MD. 21202
Dear Mr. Phillips:
It is with great pleasure that I am writing you. I have shopped at Prime Outlets in Lebanon TN. and I’m very impressed with the experience. I live in Memphis, TN. and would like to share with you my vision for my city. Downtown Memphis is experiencing major redevelopment and looking daily to attract new retail business. I believe Prime Outlets would be a (Huge) success in Memphis. Downtown currently has over 8,000 residents and growing, our metro population has over 1 million people. Tourism here is #1 in the state and your brand mall would attract many more tourists from Arkansas, Missouri, Mississippi and West Tennessee.
Prime Outlets could be a centerpiece and possibly the “CROWN JEWEL” to our development. What you have is a retail destination and that’s what Memphis needs. I have talked with some downtown leaders and believe they would be interested.
I have enclosed information and contact material for you to see at your leisure and I believe you’ll definitely see this to be promising. The Mid-South (Tri –State) area would embrace and support your stores. All correspondence pertaining to this letter can be forwarded to my email address epp_p@hotmail.com Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,
Patrick Epps
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 1:34 am

Fierydrunk did I spell that right
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 1:49 am

TN.

No period neccessary after "TN"

business

Should be "businesses" in this context

(Huge)

Completely uneccessary and does not need a capital H

8,000 residents and growing,

maybe "is growing daily", and you need a semi colon not a comma between phrases here.

your brand mall

Oh, man. Bad.

possibly the “CROWN JEWEL” to our development

The recipient of this letter cracked up at this.

to see at your leisure

I know what you were going for, but this was not neccessary either.

And Mr. Epps, I went easy on you.
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 1:54 am

Thanks, I'll let you proof read the next one
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 1:58 am

Tourism here is #1 in the state and your brand mall would attract many more tourists from Arkansas, Missouri, Mississippi and West Tennessee.
Why would these tourists want to come to an outlet mall, and pay one of the highest sales taxes in the nation?
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 2:06 am

Alisa, once again you missed the target. They come here anyway to see Beale St., Autozone park, Graceland, Fedex Forum, National civil rights museum etc. They pay the taxes anyway. This is one more attraction Memphis can offer them.
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 2:15 am

tommy, bass, hagger,and many more. this would attract many toutist from Ark. Mo. miss. and west Tn. This mall would be great for memphis.
Prime outlets indoor mall would be the best thing to happen to downtown memphis
As for you earles no I don't represent them but I do recognize a good thing for my city when I see it.
Prime Outlets could be a centerpiece and possibly the “CROWN JEWEL” to our development. What you have is a retail destination and that’s what Memphis needs.
Tourism here is #1 in the state and your brand mall would attract many more tourists from Arkansas, Missouri, Mississippi and West Tennessee.

Oh, I misread this as Prime Outlets being something that would attract tourists.
I agree... I just think downtown is growing fine on its own. There's no need to burden it with out of town shoppers. If anything, downtown needs more neighborhood businesses that support its own growing population, like grocery stores.
I'm with hemant on this one.
But, hey, guess what, no suprise, I HATE MALLS! Especially outlet malls!
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 2:27 am

They do need a grocery store downtown. They have plans to build one probably on danny thomas.Check memphis center city commission. Yes they should build it first. Then a outlet mall. I'm not giving up on this. I do like malls
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 3:41 am

Why downtown? Why not try to implement your vision of a prime outlets in an area of town that is close to interstates, and that needs revitalization. Elvis Presley Blvd, hickory hill, and raleigh springs areas come to mind.
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 3:52 am

might work hermant. But here's the thing, downtown is looking to attract new retail stores by offering pilot( payment in lieu of taxes)programs.Also there are a number of banks that will finance a redevelopment of downtown buildings.witness memphis center city commission.Not sure you will get the same package outside of downtown.
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 5:01 am | Edited by: Jack Stands

Mr. Epps,
1) What is the average rent/mortagage for the residential area proposed in the apartment/condo/house residential area?

2) In light of other Malls in town, I would say it gives 10-15 years of foot traffic and dollars to a community before it eats away the bottom of residential property value. Malls generally provide a great opportunity for crime, as well.

I'm not saying "Prime Outlets" would do the same thing, but, I'm just going off the history of Malls in Memphis.

As for the location, I live in the Berclair/Grahmwood area, so, no skin off my nose. The only things that are really important to me around there are the Train Station, South Main (neither look like they are going anywhere, based on the material you have provided), and The South End (which got turned into the sucky Blue Monkey and burned down later). Nothing here for me to "debate", really, but I'm not convinced it's the best use of property. I'd like to here more about bringing in larger companies to utilize that office space.
Will the people working in these discount outlets make a wage to sustain them living in the upscale residential area?
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 6:20 am

they used to have a word for these guys...carpetbaggers
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 1:58 pm

Carpetbaggers? You can get those at Outlet Malls, right??
liberation of Iraq with the rise of American Eagle.
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 4:11 pm

YES!!!!

I actually read a little on that Chattanooga mall---it doesn't seem like that is a huge tourist draw, but simply an site-specific development that is part of their greater Downtown. Hardwood floors and a food court. Wow. I just can't see the "crown jewel" aspect in any way. I suppose it may not hurt anything, but "Hermant" is right, Memphis would benefit from building its local economy with more neighborhood specific business, esp. locally-owned and operated ones blended in with chains. Otherwise, you simply have a generic Downtown.
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 4:14 pm

Carpetbaggers? You can get those at Outlet Malls, right??

Prime Outlets has a DKNY. Carpetbaggers are very au courant.

PS: So, are you ready for the Daniel V/Santino showdown???
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 5:11 pm

Santino's going dooooowwwwn.

howevr

Daniel's dress for Chloe(?..)was abysmal. She looked like a stunt double for Russel Crowe in Gladiator.

I like Santino as a person but his designs I've seen are kinda not happening.

"au courant." had to look that one up. nice.
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 5:47 pm

Fiery and Alisa, I'd like your take on this:
My wife and I were discussing "Outlet Malls" and this downtown concept last night. My wife says that the notion of an "Outlet Mall" is typically a bunch of BS. She's been to a number of them; she loves to find a great deal as well as shop. She says most of the time, you can find "one-offs" at these places, but mostly it's what you'd find at a regular store. Something about expecting to find a $50 sweater for $20, but it's really only $45.
She also says Memphis desperately needs an Ikea, and that Memphians would travel just about anywhere in town if there were one.
That got me thinking, so I asked her about another store and would she travel to diferent locations to shop there. I picked "The Gap" (no preference, just the only one I could think of off the top of my head). I asked her if she would go to a Gap if it were only in one of the following locations:
Raliegh Springs: Yes
Oak Court: Yes
Hickory Ridge: Probably not
Downtown: Probably not

I then asked her again about Ikea:
Raliegh Springs: Yes
Oak Court: Yes
Hickory Ridge: Yes
Downtown: Yes

Also we discussed the reality of traffic Downtown for the first few years with all the TN, MS, AR bargain hunters. Can Front, Main, 2nd, 3rd, and all the streets between sustain Christmas?
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 5:56 pm

Mattheeeeew--
I love Santino. I laugh more at him than anyone else on TV. I know I'd love him in person, but would fight with him constantly. He was so promising and I think he does well without the wack time constraints and challenge aspects. I think this about Kara Janx too. I like their designs (the ones they showed on the audition episode) better than Chloe or Daniel V for things I would wear.
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 6:00 pm | Edited by: fierydrunk

My wife says that the notion of an "Outlet Mall" is typically a bunch of BS. She's been to a number of them; she loves to find a great deal as well as shop. She says most of the time, you can find "one-offs" at these places, but mostly it's what you'd find at a regular store. Something about expecting to find a $50 sweater for $20, but it's really only $45.

That is the scam they pull. They actually are so scandalous that they create entire lines to sell at these places that are total sweatshop junk, the quality of which is best described as "Made in Singapore by 4 year olds that can't sew" (instead of by 25 year olds that can).

IKEA--after going a couple of weeks ago, I agree that this would be the true tourist/tri starte area magnet. Seriously. I have never seen such a madhouse. THREE full sized parking garages. FULL UP. But they tend to put those in the outskirts--so, it would likely be in Southaven or even West Memphis.
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 8:04 pm

Memphis desperately needs an Ikea

no shit...especially since the closest one is in like atlanta?
they're building one in between salt lake city and here (provo) and i can't believe all the buzz...
not to mention the fact that you pretty much have to go to the ikea to get good deals as they don't like to ship. so it would bring tons of people to the city.
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 8:07 pm

I thought there was one at Union & Cooper? Roof got blown off during the storm but they are back with a gas pump!
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 9:46 pm

Ah hahahaha!

I miss Ike's.
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 10:13 pm

plus they have daycares and shit
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 10:24 pm

Shit is right. That food was awful. Meatballs, anyone?
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 11:10 pm

Fiery and Alisa, I'd like your take on this:
I'm not exactly one to ask, Jack, as I hate to shop. Or, more relevant, I hate big places where you have to go to shop. That said, I'd like to see such stores as Gap, etc...mall stores...down there on the Mid America Mall, the once and future Main St. Ever seen those beautiful, bustling pics of Main Street in the 40s and 50s?
I'd like to preserve the integrity of downtown and its buildings, and putting an Outlet Mall in an existing warehouse just doesn't do it for me. I looked at the southends plan. Condo city! For godsakes, it could be Germantown! With a ye old timey crumbling but with nice new fake hardwood floors Outlet Mall! I don't want to see my city with an Outlet Mall as a tourist destination. And, though Mr. Epps digressed later, that is how I understood he was pitching the idea.

As for Bass Pro Land...jeesh. Yeah, let's make weapons and ammunition more easily accessible and attractive! Sorry, but I don't hunt either. And,
you know, the thought of "Oh man, we gotta go to Memphis and stay at the Bass Pro Hotel" doesn't exactly thrill me.

If you want to make money on the Pyramid put a goddamned casino in there!! Put a huge one on Mud Island! Tunica isn't going to be out performed by Bass Pro land.
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 11:13 pm

Go, Alisa! Sports book & casino. I'm there & Cort can run it!
Posted: Feb 11, 2006 3:41 am

Call the dude from the Phoenix Coyotes. He needs a new gig.

Me? I Loooooove shopping. But not in malls, outlet malls or even Gaps (though I can see the appeal). I'd love to see a return of a good dept store and many, many small (locally-owned and chain) boutique businesses. Really go for it--develop old buildings with retail/dining on the ground floor and condos/apts/lofts above. Get an Urban Outfitters, Anthropologie, Banana Republic etc etc. On the South end or further North, lower rents (is this still the case?) could mean cool businesses for local dreamers. Main Street was fantastic and it isn't something that can't happen again.

Maybe I am crazy, but it would be cool to go Downtown, park in a cheap garage (the city here has Smart Park garages where parking is 95 cents an hour) and browse. Spend money even.
Posted: Feb 12, 2006 1:14 am

My wife says that the notion of an "Outlet Mall" is typically a bunch of BS. She's been to a number of them; she loves to find a great deal as well as shop. She says most of the time, you can find "one-offs" at these places, but mostly it's what you'd find at a regular store. Something about expecting to find a $50 sweater for $20, but it's really only $45.

That is the scam they pull. They actually are so scandalous that they create entire lines to sell at these places that are total sweatshop junk, the quality of which is best described as "Made in Singapore by 4 year olds that can't sew" (instead of by 25 year olds that can).

I have to respond to this. You must be talking about the outlet in lakeland. Formely belz factory outlet. My wife loves to shop and always says good things about Prime outlets in lebannon.Sweatshop junk in RALPH LAUREN,COACH,LIZCLAIBORNE,TOMMYHILFIGER I think not. Jack you made a good point about traffic that,will have to be looked at. Let me clarify a few things. One more tourist attraction alisa, People come here from all over to tour memphis, downtown especially, they have no place to really shop downtown. Most of them I talk to when I'm downtown ask were's the mall downtown. My reply, we don't have one.
Posted: Feb 12, 2006 2:55 am

My wife loves to shop and always says good things about Prime outlets in lebannon.Sweatshop junk in RALPH LAUREN,COACH,LIZCLAIBORNE,TOMMYHILFIGER I think not

This is something I actually am rather informed about. I am a fashion hound. I read shit like Women's Wear Daily, when I can. In this case, I know exactly what I am talking about. Look at the labels of any of these brands, even when sold at their insanely marked up price at regular retail. They participate in outlet malls simply to turn even more of a profit off crappier goods. This is esp. true with women's clothing. I am not discussing Belz Factory Outlets. I live 30 minutes from several "great" factory outlets in Oregon--I have perused them all. 95% J-U-N-K and duplicitous sales practices.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®