Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / Underground house on Mclean
Posted: Jan 30, 2006 5:05 pm

Underground house, which has been above ground for about a year (?), has been demolished. Neighbors rejoice. Fans of weird Memphis stuff in mourning.
Posted: Jan 30, 2006 5:56 pm

I'm certainly in mourning. That utility closet was my favorite place to take perps and beat them senseless...usually in full view of McLean traffic. Where's the humanity?
Posted: Jan 30, 2006 5:56 pm

Aw man! anyone lucky enough 2 trikertreat there back in the day will also mourn this passing. damn.
Posted: Jan 30, 2006 6:27 pm

that's sad. i saw it being demolished maybe a week or so ago and was sad. that place was neat looking. too bad people thought it to be an eyesore.
Posted: Jan 30, 2006 8:54 pm

It wasn't an eyesore at all--it just wasn't some candyland palace house like that part of CG. Boo! Any choice quotes from the rejoicing neighbors?
Posted: Jan 30, 2006 9:03 pm

ahh, i am sad it got torn down, but in recent years it was in really bad condition -- all the wood was rotten etc because the flat roof leaked. i believe "entwhistle bud" robert johnson aka the frayser flash bought it, but then couldnt afford repairs. correct me if i'm wrong...

the lot is the smallest midtown lot ever!
Posted: Jan 30, 2006 9:49 pm

yeah, not much of a footprint there.

I grew up hanging out with the Carlson's (directly across the street-since moved--Dan 4ever kickin my ass in basketball and Winnie being the first punk girl I knew...thanks for the violent femmes tape.) and the Pekarr's(--also since moved--Jeff and and his punk older brother whose name escapes me...) lived next door to the underground house.

-Droppin' names like it's hot -HOLLAAA!
Posted: Jan 30, 2006 10:01 pm

Andria, Robert Johnson did buy it. As I understand, he wanted to build some kind of addition, which is why he dug it out from "underground", but the zoning folks wouldn't let him, so he just let it sit as a bit of a lazy protest.

I guess he lost the fight.
Posted: Jan 31, 2006 1:09 am

Undergorund house? Wha????
Posted: Jan 31, 2006 1:36 am

That just proves it Mike, you aren't wicked underground...

Or undergorund or whatever.
Posted: Jan 31, 2006 2:31 am

Posted: Jan 31, 2006 3:26 am

That looks a lot like Winnie, but I don't think so. Though like the Staind song goes, "It's been a while..."
Posted: Jan 31, 2006 3:31 am

No, that's Winnie. "My Bad"
Posted: Jan 31, 2006 4:20 am

That first picture is my favorite picture on Flickr...ever. I don't know who she is, but I'm a fan of the photographer.
Memphis is such a small town.
Posted: Jan 31, 2006 4:39 am

Look how young Greenwood is!!
Posted: Jan 31, 2006 4:54 am

Underground house is some kind of techno thing, isn't it? Followed by tribal tattoos and break beat or something?
Posted: Jan 31, 2006 1:27 pm

I love those pictures!
Posted: Jan 31, 2006 2:22 pm

Oh man, totally Winnie. those are great photos!
Posted: Jan 31, 2006 4:54 pm

Greenwood looks like she is about to steal a beer from the Kwik Chek.
Posted: Jan 31, 2006 5:08 pm

and that picture of Winnie is at PAT'S PIZZA! RIP, baby!

Those are some great shots.
Posted: Jan 31, 2006 5:19 pm

No doubt. I never even saw Laura A look like that.
Posted: Jan 31, 2006 5:23 pm

Holy Shit! Ms. Arnold? Wow!
Posted: Jan 31, 2006 5:32 pm

What a gaggle of beauties--I am 5 or 6 yrs older than them I believe...is that about right? I wasn't living there when KG looked like that. I met her when she had a cropped off jagged haircut and a "C'mon Eileen" baggy Overalls and newscap with a Naked Raygun tee shirt style...
Posted: Jan 31, 2006 5:34 pm

I just knew Laura from Ms. Arnold from High School. I've got a great picture of her somewhere...
Posted: Jan 31, 2006 9:21 pm

Wow, you guys know all those girls!
Don Perry is the photographer...I love his photos.
Posted: Jan 31, 2006 11:24 pm

Don is a great guy! He took some amazing shots for a project a couple of us did together, and Willy Bearden ended up making a dvd for WKNO called Project 366. Don's stuff is all over that show. Hopefully it will run again sometime soon. Goners included in our collection:
Rob T!
Amie and Eric Plumley!
Bo! (in a gorilla suit!)
Zubi! (with a mohawk)
Sam "T-bone" Tibbs!
Gladney!
Tad Pierson (gettin' pulled over by the cops in the caddy)
and if I'm not mistaken, Jeffrey Evans as well.
Posted: Jan 31, 2006 11:35 pm

I saw that show, and all the images were great. Very nice, non-touristy view of Memphis.
We had a Flickr meetup, and I got a chance to meet Don. He is indeed a great guy! Check out his photostream on Flickr if you haven't already. I'm a huge fan of his photos.
He's also a force behind our Flickr group, Memphisto's Bluff.
http://www.flickr.com/groups/memphistos_bluff/
Pics of what we love (or don't) about Memphis.

You don't happen to know who took that pic on the show of Parker (or Marshall) Mulherin with the guitar, do you?
Posted: Feb 1, 2006 2:33 pm

Nice shots A.

On a side note, as I type this the Admiral Benbow on Summer is getting knocked down. Photo ops galore - go get it.
Posted: Feb 1, 2006 3:13 pm

Thanks, MATAlac. And thanks for the heads up about the AB...field trip is in order!
Posted: Feb 1, 2006 5:17 pm

My momma had somthing to say(usually bad )about that place every time we passed that place as a kid.
Posted: Feb 1, 2006 5:50 pm

2005-2006... years of RUBBLE!
Posted: Feb 9, 2006 9:38 pm

i always liked to say admiral benbow really fast so it sounded like i was saying admiral bimbo
Posted: Feb 9, 2006 10:43 pm | Edited by: dag

The Admiral Blowjob on summer looked like it became hooker central a few months before they closed it(and i'm guessing this is why it closed? it was pretty brazen for ladies to flaunt their wears up and down Summer - while not the best street, i figgured local folks weren't gonna let it turn into a Lamar Ave. After they closed it, it looked like a shooting gallery for the upscale meth/smack head. still, i hate to see almost any building get knocked down.
Posted: Feb 11, 2006 10:35 pm

it was hooker central in the 90's man...so was that little apt complex by where central park was
Posted: Feb 12, 2006 1:59 am

After they closed it, it looked like a shooting gallery for the upscale meth/smack head. still, i hate to see almost any building get knocked down.
Benbow on Summer = foooooked, today. Drove past and it looks like they've knocked off all of the roof and outside wall on the west side. 2nd floor walk way is hanging by rebar.
Posted: Feb 12, 2006 2:27 am

i know! RUBBLE!

new orleans= rubble!
baptist hospital= rubble!
benbow= more rubble!

the year of rubble!
Posted: Feb 12, 2006 2:40 am

You're starting to sound like the Hamburglar....
Posted: Feb 12, 2006 9:05 pm

rubble rubble!
Posted: Feb 13, 2006 10:30 pm

Posted: Feb 14, 2006 2:10 pm

Jeff Pekkar's brothers name is Johnothan. They moved to Cali years ago. I actually saw John about 7-8 years ago here in town. He went "pro" as far as skateboarding for a while and was doing some standop comedy stuff...pretty funny mofucker!! I was in a band with John for a couple of days...we broke up cause nobody could play an instrument.
Posted: Mar 3, 2006 5:12 pm

Drove by the Benbow this morning - nothing left standing, just piles of rubble.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®