Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / Sun Ra and his Myth Science Arkestra...
Posted: Jan 30, 2006 3:30 pm

I was doing a little online research while I was making a mixtape of various Sun Ra material and I stumbled across two of his musicians on the "Interstellar Low Ways" album formely "Rocket Number Nine Take Off For The Planet Venus" that are from Memphis. Edward Skinner did percussion and his cousin George Hudson played trumpet. Any Memphis natives know anything about these two men? I guess Edward Skinner changed his name at some point in the mid to late seventies to Luqma Ali. Please Help!
Posted: Feb 1, 2006 3:02 am

I'm just gonna bump this shit till I die!
Posted: Feb 1, 2006 1:30 pm

I think you mean Luqman Ali. He still plays with the Arkestra. Maybe try conacting El Ra Records:

http://www.elrarecords.com/3-luqman.html
Posted: Feb 1, 2006 4:42 pm

Interesting. Years back (like 10-15) there was a band playing around Memphis called HOLLOW BONES. Back then I was told that the drummer was formerly in Sun Ra's Arkestra. I seem to remember him as being a black man in his 30/40's?? There were a # of folks in the band...Jim Duckworth(?), and one of the dudes from THE SCAM (who I remember being way cool if you were into Minutemen/fIREHOSE/ShrimpBoat type stuff). It was a free jazz thing and I remember being way into them the handful of times I saw them(Barristers/latter-day-Antenna).
Posted: Feb 1, 2006 4:55 pm

Yeah...the drummer was named Samurai Celestial and he did play with Sun Ra. Im not sure who you are talkin about as far as the Scam. The Scam was Jay Sheffield, Clint Wagner, Jeff Fite and Alex Obert. Alex played bass and was in Hollow Bones, but i sincerely doubt you were diggin on that dude. I think you may talkin about Craig Shindler, who played bass in Mashomatic, K9 Arts and other bands. He definitley always had a firehose/minutemen thing going on and I think he played in Hollow Bones from time to time as well. Craig passed away about 5 years ago suddenly...very sad.
Posted: Feb 1, 2006 4:56 pm

Hollow Bones!!!
The SCAM!!!!

Matthew, we had to have been at some of those shows at the same time.

The Scam's performance at the Shell one time with Uncle Daddy (the Memphis one) was mind blowing; a long as hell tyrade about Memphis and Refer. I'll never forget that.
Posted: Feb 1, 2006 5:06 pm

It is sad/unfortunate about Craig. I remember that too. Very entertaining/talented musician.

I think the Scam dude was playin a sax or something...I could totally be wrong about this part tho'. Been a while, ya know.

yr prolly right, Jack. In fact we prolly used to have the same girlfriend too...how could we have been so blind?! anywho--Uncle Daddy?--that was Stubblefields' old band...no?
Posted: Feb 1, 2006 5:10 pm

Yep, Stubblefield's band. I still play with the guitar player to this day.

Same girlfriend? You gotta be shittin' me...
Posted: Feb 1, 2006 5:12 pm

Damn. I remember Craig, too. Didn't know he passed.
Posted: Feb 1, 2006 6:01 pm

He did. Ironically, he had gone to New York to visit Alex Obert had a heart attack and died on the spot. Craig was last in band called Easy Way, which consisited of Craig, Scott Bomar, Johnny?? and Paul Buchignani. Some of the last songs he wrote were for that band. They actually released the Easy Way CD a couple of years back....really, really good!! Mashomatic was to me one of the best local bands in the past 20 years. Great songs, players and one of the best live shows around.
Posted: Feb 1, 2006 6:21 pm

Yeah, we used to play with Mashomatic and Hollow Bones fairly frequently back when Yow used to be more of a psych band; still have some of those great flyers, maybe a recording of a show somewhere. I kinda recall hearing about that Easy Way thing, too. Mashomatic was great. That sucks about Craig, though...
Posted: Feb 1, 2006 6:29 pm

Yeah...I remember Yow. Yall had a tune called something like Cabbage??
Posted: Feb 1, 2006 6:31 pm

Yeah. Funny what LSD will get you...

Anyway, Samurai Celestial I know exactly who you mean.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®