Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / Forty Shades of Blue?
Posted: Jan 27, 2006 7:02 pm

I like Rip Torn, but watching the preview was otherwise cringe inducing. Is this movie as sappy as it seems? (the premise? yikes!) It's just about to start a week long run - what's the verdict?
Posted: Jan 27, 2006 7:39 pm

Skip it. Forty Shades of Bored.
Posted: Jan 27, 2006 8:01 pm | Edited by: lemissa

I'm no movie critic so I can't articulate vey well why I love or hate a movie but I can say that I do love this movie. It's a few days in a trophey bride's life that really goes no where in the end and getting there is slow paced and sometimes without much dialogue at all.

I'd say if you saw the trailer and didn't like it then yes, skip it. On the other hand .... nah, just skip it, you won't like it. It's a movie you either love or hate and b/c most peole here (gross generalization) would hate it, I thought I'd pipe in and say it blew me away. I thought about it for days.
Posted: Jan 27, 2006 8:24 pm | Edited by: cthort

I once ate a box of Boo-Berry and my peole was forty shades of blue.
Posted: Jan 27, 2006 8:33 pm

I haven't seen this movie or the trailer, but I drew some pictures about what I thought it might be like. Definitely a MUST SEE! The part with the giant squid with the laser eyes blowing up the Eifle Tower? Holy shit!
Posted: Jan 27, 2006 8:40 pm

Jack Stands, now those are some pictures I'd like to see!
Posted: Jan 28, 2006 6:01 am

Rip Torn does a great job with what he's given: a slow paced movie that doesn't really go anywhere. I guess lemissa and I agree. I, however, don't care for that sort of thing. The thing that really got me, though, was that it was set in Memphis, music was supposed to be a key element of the story, and a lot of people were raving about how good the Mmphis music was, but that was not the case at all. If I hadn't recognized some of the locations and Rip Torn's caracter hadn't been a pretty obvious Sam Phillips type I wouldn't have had any idea that it had anything to do with Memphis. That's my biggest complaint.
Posted: Jan 28, 2006 5:11 pm

Thanks Scott - that's pretty much what I was expecting. I've no real problem with slow paced movies that go nowhere, but I like 'em to at least deliver on some other level - ie: gimme some Memphis.
Posted: Jan 28, 2006 9:30 pm

the ending is the absolute best part of this movie. if you can make it through, you'll be glad. just be patient.
Posted: Jan 28, 2006 11:46 pm

at the time i was most fascinated by the fact that a girl I went to high school with was in the movie..i kept wondering when the pace would pick up. then a few days later i was still thinking about the movie and I realized i identified with it more than I realized.
Posted: Jan 28, 2006 11:47 pm

me too, windy. i could identifiy with it too.

fucking rock stars. :)
Posted: Jan 28, 2006 11:48 pm

My other drawings have Mr. T in this. Mr. T is in this, right?
Posted: Jan 29, 2006 5:00 am

I wish it did. Mr. T and Rip Torn have needed to be paired together for far too long if you ask me.
Posted: Jan 29, 2006 6:13 am

I thought the ending of the movie was the best part too. Not the part where they freeze frame on her walking ahead of the car... the part where the house lights came up and I got to go home after wasting $8 and what seemed like 5 hours of my life.

I bought Rip Torn as the Sam Phillips character. But there wasn't enough. Instead it relied on the trophy wife and I'm sorry, but she just can't act. It was like sitting at a table watching a Lean Cuisine that thinks it is Filet Mignon at the Four Seasons.

Most of the other characters didn't go anywhere either. What the fuck was the deal with the woman wearing the cowboy hat? What was that supposed to be? I was glad to see Memphis musicians get some background work. But this was a vanity project that should have stuck to the film festivals. And please, let's not have any more comparisons to John Cassavettes films. This wasn't anything like one of those screen classics. It was just a waste of time.
Posted: Jan 29, 2006 10:03 am

Good to know. This is the no.10 movie in my queue. My top 3 right now are Love Ludlow, Aberdeen and Dead Man. After that there's Picnic and Born Yesterday (1950). I'm gonna repleace Picnic and Born Yesterday sometime with something else. Some other mentions of things I've got are... Fiona, Blackboard Jungle, Intimate Strangers, Sexmission, The Inheritence, A Man in Uniform. Blah blah.

I can't wait until Class of 1984, Domino and The Weatherman, Daltry Calhoun come out. The War Within and Bubble are supposed to be really good. I don't really wanna see those though. Anyone know if Just Like Heaven is worth seeing?
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®