Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / Memphis oddities?
Posted: Jan 21, 2006 3:34 pm

So is the Crystal Shrine Grotto fun to see? I'm looking for some stuff to see in Memphis and surrounding areas along these lines. Also, any updates on the frog grafitti?
Posted: Jan 21, 2006 3:57 pm

What the heck is that? Sounds like some Eureka Springs shit to me!
Posted: Jan 21, 2006 4:04 pm

I've heard it's actually pretty impressive. It's in the graveyard at Poplar/I-240, and it's Jesus oriented.
Frog graffiti is gone, painted over.
I find the flea markets out third street are pretty odd. One's in an old drive-in.
The old forest in Overton Park can be odd.
Hell, a LOT of Memphis is odd.
Posted: Jan 21, 2006 4:37 pm

Hold onto the oddness. I just had this weird premonition type thing after reading about Quetzal coming to town that people can come in and just "steal" your city while you aren't looking. It is a double-edged sword. It is a delicate balance, but I am sure Memphis is the sort of place that can keep its soul but improve itself.

But this whole thing put this bug in my ear that we need to hurry up and get back before more Californians wanting to live out their dream buy up all the cheap property to do it. That is what happened in Portland. While this place is pretty great, from what I understand, it lost a lot of what made it "Portland" in the process.
Posted: Jan 21, 2006 4:38 pm

Oh I have been in that grotto before after my grandmom's burial and it is pretty, gold and Jesus-y in my memory.
Posted: Jan 21, 2006 5:02 pm

off topic:

Ok, fd, i've stayed silend long enough and now I have to shout GET YOUR ASS BACK HERE.
Actually, the reason I have thought about you moving back, besides the possibly of you opening the breakfast place of our dreams, is I'm working at St. Jude. I use to work there a few years ago and now I'm back for about five months temping at ALSAC, which is the fundraising arm. I'm telling you all of this b/c St. Jude has a lot of social workers on staff. (The average treatment for pediatric cancer is two years, which as you can imagine is hard on the family structure.) I'm not goiing to go on and on about it, but I will say that having worked both at the hosipital and at ALSAC, it's not a sad environment at all (most kids are cured), there are people all over the world working there and they would be lucky to have you.

ok, now back to the topic...
Posted: Jan 21, 2006 5:55 pm

I second that! I don't know what you're waiting for.
I worked there for almost 5 years and loved it. Best place I ever worked.

I'm not following the train of thought about Quetzal coming to town though.
Posted: Jan 21, 2006 6:28 pm

Awesome, seriously. I was thinking about that part of things too, because let's get real, we have no money and Ryan and I would have to work for awhile and get established before we come in six guns a blazin with our shop/breakfast place!

We both recognize that.

OK, I have committed to one year at OHSU/Casey Eye. I'd love to work for St. Jude. I could never go back to non-hospital SW at this point.
Posted: Jan 22, 2006 5:33 am

Speaking of St. Jude. There is a really neat museum open to the public on the grounds that tells the story of Danny Thomas and the hospital. It's the building with the golden dome and Danny himself is buried in the crypt there.
Also, don't forget the Indian mounds by the metal museum and the Yellow Fever memorial that is somewhere around Channel Three Drive. Stuff off the beaten tourist path.
Posted: Jan 23, 2006 3:45 pm

While this place is pretty great, from what I understand, it lost a lot of what made it "Portland" in the process.

The same thing happened in Denver. I figured I'd just live in Southern California instead of a cheap imitation.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®