Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / Libertyland, a friendly debate...
Page  Page 3 of 3:  « Previous  1  2  3
Posted: Feb 13, 2006 10:07 pm

Since we are quoting darrow....

“Just think of the tragedy of teaching children not to doubt.”
(their parents hair-brained ideas)
Posted: Feb 13, 2006 10:08 pm

HEE=HAWW!
Posted: Feb 13, 2006 10:12 pm

Zippin Pippins are playing for free, Buzz. I ain't mad atcha. Just bored. If you want to donate to Libertyland, you'll have to wait until the new management company steps in. Right now, they are simply readying the pieces for auction. I haven't asked anyone for a donation. However, if you want to see the 18th show, you can come and pay the cover.
Posted: Feb 13, 2006 10:18 pm

To be fair, I can see why Dee is't listing the CEOs. They have only shown "interest" and not made any "commitments. I wouldn't bally around their names, either.

I think the last I'll say about it is (and dee, I can sympathize with you on what it takes to do something grassroots; you can take this as friendly advice or not) you need to clarify more and educate instead of polarize.

Here are my suggestions:
1. Make sure your petitions are specific to what you want to accomplish. I was serious earlier when I said I would support and sign a petition that was directed to encouraging Private sector investment and not in any way imply or leave open the posibility for taxes to be used. Your petition statement is rather vague currently.
2. Make a back-up plan. If you can't save the whole park, what can you save? How could the proposal be modified to integrate into any of the 6 plans. You cannot have an "all-or-nothing" mindset; you'll most likely end up with nothing.
3. Jobs and Kids are important, but not the most important part of what you're trying to do. Certainly there has been enough example of this throughout this thread. Focus on the history (especially the Pippin and the Carousel - I believe more Memphians are more concerned about those two pieces than any part of the crappy "colonial land whatever" at the entrance).
4. Even Moses needed an Aaron. Dee, I appreciate very much that you have come on this board and expressed ypur feelings and (to a limited degree) given us insight into what you guys are trying to do. It's hard to get in front of people and persuade them one way or another. But I must say, you guys need another spokesperson. Attacking and getting personal is not endearing at all. And for the love of the baby jesus, stop telling everyone you know what kids want. It pisses off people who don't have them, and as a parent, it pisses me off more. Look at it this way, you don't know my kid, you don't know what he likes. This will be true for many of the voters and taxpayers you are trying to recruit. I suggest if you want to talk about what the kids want, put it in a different perspective. I can't think of how right now, but I'd make that talking point number 17 of 20.
5. When performing fundraisers and gatherings to educate about the issues, be up front about what the money is going for. I seriously considered coming down to one of your events to learn more (again, I am deeply interested in how this will all shake down), and thought that a face to face would help get my questions answered. I would not now, because I don't want a dime of my money going to the documentary (this is more of my own discrimination; I can't get behind this, as it is making a mockery of the folks that have to go over there and their families; comparing Libertyland to Iraq is opportunistic and self-serving to me; I believe in the power of self-promotion, but this is just kind of low-down; again, my opinion - I support this guys right to make his art, but I ain't gonna pay for it). This leads me to point number six...
6. Diversify your medium of message. If you're putting all your eggs into a couple of shows and this guy's film, you're shooting yourself in the foot. PSAs are a wonderful thing. Also, if Libertyland is saved, does this defeat the irony of the Iraqi War?
7. Reach out to other surrounding communities. Go forth into Orange Mound and produce. Cooper/Young isn't the only neighborhood in town.

I'm done. Good luck with your endeavors. If things start slipping on your side, holler, and I'll be the first to lend a hand in making sure the Pippin and Carousel are saved. But I couldn't care less about your Revolution.
Posted: Feb 13, 2006 10:27 pm

Sounds like you are totally against kids having fun Jack. You probably drown puppies and kitties on the weekend all the while screaming "I'm gonna take away the fun for the kids!!! moooaahaaaaaa!!!".
Hee-haww.
Just kidding.
Posted: Feb 13, 2006 10:37 pm

I'm not comparing Libertyland to Iraq. It was simply ironic to me that, during a time when our nation is all rah-rahing to spread democracy, freedom and whatnot all over the globe, that it takes so much effort to save a theme park modeled around "America, Land of Liberty." As to your other suggestions, always appreciated.
Posted: Feb 13, 2006 10:39 pm

You see, the theme park was run by a NON-profit, and the Mayor has denied their Lease for 10 years.....

Dee,

Whats wrong with being run by a non-profit?
There's plenty of non-profits that are very sucessful.

and you keep saying that the mayor denied their lease for 10 years...do you mean that he denied them a 10-year lease?

And do you think the CEOs might have come to the park to evaluate whether they wanted to buy the rides for their own parks? Most CEOs from other cities aren't looking to help out Memphis...
Posted: Feb 13, 2006 11:28 pm

You'd be surprised at how helpful people from outside of Memphis have been. I guess it's a "forest-for-the-trees" type thing.

This particular non-profit was not successful.

Mayor Herenton, since 1996, has held the MidSouth Fair (including Libertyland) to a year-to-year lease. We were informed by the Fair's president, vice-president, and past 3 presidents that this was the killer to their re-investment strategy. I can only report what I'm told, so this is what they said.

For an update, check out Roswell Encina (sp?) on Channel 3 sometime tonight.
Posted: Feb 13, 2006 11:50 pm

drunk dude thats fuckin great.

I am starting a grassroots org to Save Arkansas from its defectors and expatriates![/i]

BUzzz:
Hrm..... I have no migrane......I am just becoming convinced (by your own mouth) that you Dee are full of that proverbial shit.

But damn buzz when did the goner-board turn into the Hater-board?

...hater...
Posted: Feb 13, 2006 11:54 pm

should be the one who is mad. I want my money to go to saving Libertyland- what costs do the Zippin Pippin (or any of the other bands)have thats more important that saving libertyland? Youre the martyr here, so answer me that! Come to find out that I cannot donate to saving Libertyland because you havent done your homework! You know people get in trouble for raising funds under guises!

The bands donated their time for the show, except for the Katrina victim

chill out man. theres no criminal intent here, I'm sure.
Posted: Feb 14, 2006 12:59 am

I'm sure there is no criminal intent here, but I can't write off a charitable donation to a group that doesn't exist. Dee, has cleared that up...they are unable at this time, to accept donations. When they are able to, I'm sure she'll post a message here and that it will be on the detourmemphis site. cool.

problem is, as you can read in her posts, she's being just a little disingenuous about where any current donations go. A show under the banner of "Save Libertyland" that is soliciting donations (5$ minimum according to the website) might possibly mislead people into thinking that the money they pay at the door is going to a charitable organization, or at least into an escrow account for future organizing expenses. Many people, I'm sure, with an interest in preserving famous local landmarks, might be interested in supporting a charitable/activist organization, but not be interested in funding a commercial documentary or paying for a bands expenses. There are local churches, youthgroups, communitty associations etc that might be interested in saving Libertyland, but they probably won't want to get involved without the proper paperwork.

When the Katrina debacle was/is going on many Gonerboard types rushed to help, and Eric and Zac learned pretty fast about the legalities of collecting and distributing money. Ask them.

IMO a free (since they can't legally accept any donations) show to promote/encourage awareness of the Save Libertyland organization, complete with written literature (to explain the groups position, progress, plans and financial needs), representatives of the group to answer questions and of course good music/entertainment, would really help the cause. As has been said here before, if the local musicians believe in your cause, I'm positive you could find lots who would gladly donate their time.

The organization has done a lot to raise awareness of this issue allready, and it's not impossible for more heavies to get involved. Sadly, the save libertyland spokesman could have gotten alot of good advice from Sherman, (who incidentally knows a little somethin about dealing with the city to salvage a landmark) but she chose to make fun of his mother instead. As can be observed, Sherman is pretty straightforward and calls it like he sees it, but SaveLibertyland will come in contact with many more opinionated than Sherman, as this progresses. There is a lot of other usefull advice in this thread as well, it seems most folks just want a clear-er understanding of the organization.
I'm not the "hater", I just don't want an almost good idea to go to shit because the organizers give the appearance of being too selfserving. And at this point, I really don't see it any other way. Be glad to change my mind in the future though, if they can get their shit together.
Posted: Feb 14, 2006 1:39 am

The Goner board was so attentive to Katrina victims that I'm certain they would applaud the fact that that is where the money is going: A Katrina victim is traveling all the way back up here to appear in the show. If you look at our ad at www.detourmemphis.com, the flyer does not say "Save Libertyland". It says: "Be in the documentary film about Saving Libertyland." And the art and the printing on the flyer were all donated. For which we are grateful.

We are more interested in bringing the big money-men into Memphis, rather than shaking a tin cup. This is why we have focused on trying to slow the process, while attracting potential buyers. Recently, the 2 buyers were invited by the city and Midsouth Fair to make offers. However, once an offer was made, the city and Midsouth Fair officials reversed themselves. Now the media is following up on this contradiction, and a report is supposed to come out at 10 on channel 3 tonight (Roswell Encina) pardon the spelling.

And Sherman was the one who took his cheek to the family level. I merely obliged with the worst insult my mother ever taught me! And if you can't take the heat, you must be a Goner, eh?
Posted: Feb 14, 2006 2:19 am | Edited by: Buzzzzzz

And Sherman was the one who took his cheek to the family level. I merely obliged with the worst insult my mother ever taught me!

well that's obvious.....but as far as I can tell you are acting as a spokesperson for your organization and want to be treated as such... Sherman's remark was directed to another poster, not you...so apparently you and misty white are related in some way. Cool, I'm all for family sticktogetherness, but how does that fit in to your role as spokesperson? Sherman said what he said and it's plain to see that his remark was meant to be offensive, but to wallow in the mud with Sherman in defense of another poster doesn't exactly help your image as spokesperson.

If you look at our ad at www.detourmemphis.com the flyer does not say "Save Libertyland". It says: "Be in the documentary film about Saving Libertyland."
but the website says:
"Donations ($5 minimum) are welcome and the documentary film crew will
be on hand. For more information, contact Save Libertyland!"

so it's a free show?

We are more interested in bringing the big money-men into Memphis, rather than shaking a tin cup. This is why we have focused on trying to slow the process, while attracting potential buyers.

I can dig it. That's the clearest you have been yet in this thread. And I applaud the work you have done to get the media attention you have. I imagine there is a pretty lengthy 'journalistic expose' in the works as well (although you should write it under a pseydonym... if only to give the appearence of unbiased journalism (hehe)). That plus the documentary and a groundswell of public support should at least "slow down" cityhall.
Like Jack said :Go forth into Orange Mound and produce. If the OM communnitty is involved, the game will change in your favor (unless they like the Starbucks idea better). IMO That vote is the only one that changes anything downtown.
And to reiterate another of Jack's points, have a plan B.
Posted: Feb 14, 2006 2:40 am

I don't talk this way except at parties, my house, or blog threads. I can talk to "official" people "officially," but that is the last thing I expected on this board -- official-dom. I guess I misunderstood the venue here. How come everybody else talks non-official? I only cussed once, out of frustration at having to provide the same detail over again. Hey, I ain't no Scott McLellan, so sue me.

If you want to get in for free, you'll have to get in line behind the people who are willing to pay for several hours of (mostly) original music. It will be psychedelic!
Posted: Feb 14, 2006 2:44 am

But will it be O-FFICIAL?!!!!!

HEE=HAWW!!!!
Posted: Feb 14, 2006 3:01 am

If you want to get in for free, you'll have to get in line behind the people who are willing to pay for several hours of (mostly) original music.

aight.....one more time....

so, if I do not wish to donate at the time of entry, I must go to the end of the line? Sounds kinda like a covercharge. The MemphisFlyer says it's a "Save Liberty Land Benefit" under the Hi-Tone listing. again... who benefits? If the bands benefit, then aren't all rockshows benefits? And you allready said that "SaveLibertyland" cannot accept donations at this time.

the problem I continue to have is that all of this seems to be an advertisement for a rockshow, and content for a documentary, and not much else.

I don't talk this way except at parties, my house, or blog threads. I can talk to "official" people "officially," but that is the last thing I expected on this board -- official-dom. I guess I misunderstood the venue here. How come everybody else talks non-official? I only cussed once, out of frustration at having to provide the same detail over again. Hey, I ain't no Scott McLellan, so sue me.

Why does it have to be so absolute? If we ask questions we're being "official"? Sounds like you thought all these "goner-board" kids are punkrawk and we'll just love your idea cause it goes against "the Man", and you're dissapointed that we called into question some of the bedrock issues of your platform. "We" are not representing anything other than ourselves, "you" are acting as "spokesperson" for the "SaveLibertyland" organization. There is a difference. And, personally, I'm kinda offended that you don't see "us" as being part of the community with valid concerns and reservations, with voices that deserve to be heard as much as yours.

and it aint about you cussin, it's about you lyin'
Posted: Feb 14, 2006 3:16 am

UH....EXCUSE ME????!!!
I have offered time and time again to make your crappy 2 bit corndog stand a FANTASTIC STAR STUDDED ATTRACTION and what do I get? "your not official enough" garbage. Well people, listen up! I've got a team of lawers and a mountin of cash. You can tell those little brats there gonna have to settle on $2 dollar trolley rides to the Southend cause I'M LEVELING YOUR PARKING LOT!!! This will now "officially" be called SARAH JESSICA PARKER PLAYLAND!
Tooo bad, so sad. Explain it to your kids the best way you can . Might I suggest softening the blow with an apple martini! I will still offer the lottery though. Please get the kids tickets in soon as I will be bored with this tomorrow. You could also offer the kid(s) a samplebottle of my new perfume SITC Kids Style! (tm) for only $19.95. I'm sure after that they will have forgotton all about there crack /rat infested parking lot.

YOUR WELCOME!

ps. Buy my perfume!
Posted: Feb 14, 2006 3:16 am

For an update, check out Roswell Encina (sp?) on Channel 3 sometime tonight

Dee, I will look at this tonight. I've been accused of being weird and bias,
so I will be objective this time. Your cause seems to have some merit,but the problem is in my opinon. There is not enough info on who Rob and Dave are and exactly what their plan is.

encouraging Private sector investment and not in any way imply or leave open the posibility for taxes to be used. Your petition statement is rather vague currently.

I think this sums up your current status on this message board. I, like you Dee, believe this city needs a theme park, but I'm not so sure your effort to save libertyland can escape some sort of subsidizing(taxdollars). If Rob and Dave can present a plan that is a private sector investment ,that could possibly save this old park. Otherwise Dee you Rob and Dave are

And I quote, FULL OF THAT PROVERBIAL SHIT!!

CAN THAT BE THE QUOTE OF THE DAY?
Posted: Feb 14, 2006 3:17 am

ps. No piggies please! As mentioned in a previous post!
Posted: Feb 14, 2006 3:19 am

I wasn't talking to you Mr. Epps..
Posted: Feb 14, 2006 3:22 am

"If you want to get in for free, you'll have to get in line behind the people who are willing to pay for several hours of (mostly) original music."

Are you sure your not Buddy Douglas ???!!
Posted: Feb 14, 2006 3:32 am

Mr. Epps is just strange with his BassPro bias. I realize that I don't know what the hell I'm talking about half the time, though I've really held off on all of this because I don't know what the fuck I'm talking about.

Not you, Sarah Jessica Parker. This was my biggest critic, ALISA
Posted: Feb 14, 2006 4:17 am

I went on record as thinking it was a tacky idea even before you showed up, Mr. Epps.
http://www.goner-records.com/board/index.php?action=vthread&forum=2&to pic=9503&page=0
Posted: Feb 14, 2006 4:27 am

i say we turn the roof of the U.P. bank into a giant gravitron and forget about the whole libertyland thing
Posted: Feb 14, 2006 4:34 am

I'm gonna have to call bullshit on the claim of 700 jobs. In one season, no way. Maybe, but probably not, if you count the jobs over all of the seasons.
You'll have to come up with a better source than the kids who work there.
Hell, the police force only has around 1,500 cops.
If there were 700 summer jobs, it would be real easy to solve L'Land's problem. Do it with a quarter of the employees.
Big Star?
Elvis? The Coliseum? Yep. Got the album. Live at Libertyland? Not in the RCA catalog. They did have an Elvis imitator. By 1976, the Kang was in permanent twilight.
Where are you getting your facts? This is really hurting your cause more than the simple economics.
As for the journalistic expose... Non Profit status is something that's been used with similar attractions. The philosophy is that since taxpayers are subsidizing the non profit, the non profit shouldn't then turn around and make a profit from the same taxpayers. Since the 1980s, city and county government have been weening non profits off the subsidy and where possible turning them over to private boards etc... like at the Zoo.
There's no conspiracy. The gravy train has reached the station. Now it's time to get off. Amusement parks are a business. They should be run by businesses, not by governments. There is no clause in the Constitution that guarantees the right to ride the Carousel and eat funnel cakes. It's not considered providing for the general welfare to run a face painting booth at a loss. IT'S A BUSINESS. IF IT'S GOOD, IT WILL SUCCEED. IF IT'S NOT, PEOPLE WON'T COME AND IT SHOULD GO AWAY. STOP WHINING OR COME UP WITH SOME SOUND ARGUMENTS.
Posted: Feb 14, 2006 4:40 am

I cuncur.There is no way 700 employees. It just ain't that big. If they told you they employee that, then you have your "missing money" problem right there. It's called embezzelment.

Move the Pippin & the Carosel to Mudd Island and you've got a better attraction! And you can take the freakin trolley!

PROBLEM SOLVED!
Posted: Feb 14, 2006 4:45 am

They did have an Elvis imitator.

Ladies and Germs...

http://www.andychilds.com/

Childs began performing when he was 13 or 14. He sang with Berl Olswanger's orchestra at county club gigs. He performed at Libertyland for a couple of years. "And then I hit the road and started doing state fairs all over the country. And the rest is soon to be history. I haven't stopped."

http://www.biwa.ne.jp/~presley/elnews182.htm
Posted: Feb 14, 2006 5:01 am

ouch ouch
Posted: Feb 14, 2006 6:50 am

Hey there, dtrain, you hit the "e" nail on the head! You win a bronze Pronto Pup.

700 employees is the number quoted by Memphis's new CFO, Robert Lipscomb. You can call him on that, he's in the book.

And thanks, Roswel Encina (sp?) for doing the Helicopter View of Libertyland, both before and after sunset. That was freaking AWESOME.
Posted: Feb 14, 2006 8:29 am

There is no clause in the Constitution that guarantees the right to eat funnel cakes

but there goddam should be
Posted: Feb 14, 2006 1:51 pm

Move the Pippin & the Carosel to Mudd Island and you've got a better attraction! And you can take the freakin trolley!

PROBLEM SOLVED!

Agreed! You could also use the monorail.
Posted: Feb 14, 2006 4:04 pm

Nine Million people have come thru Libertyland's gates since it opened. That's 9,000,000 people. Channel 3 and Roswell Encina rock!

Lead story at the top of every CNN break all night long.

Amazing. Happy Valentine's Day, Libertyland! We Love You.

signed,

9 Million People
Posted: Feb 14, 2006 4:29 pm

from wreg's site:

Posted By Roswell Encina <<the correct spelling!

Developer Offers to Buy Libertyland

MEMPHIS - Screams and cheers may roar down the "Zippin Pippin" once again. Two companies with a track record of turning around old amusement parks want to give new life to Libertyland. The Midsouth Fair Board shut down the 30 year old park last summer blaming poor ticket sales.

"I'm a believer. I believe in second chances," says Steven Mulroy of 'Save Libertyland.' "I'm an optimist. I think we'll be riding on that rebellion and those roller coasters next year," says Mulroy.

One of the companies has even made an offer. A company called 'The T-Rex Group' has offered to lease the park's equipment for 10-thousand a month and buy the park at the end of the lease.

"Everybody seems as in the case of many cities in the United States they really enjoy Libertyland and would like to see it stay where it is," says Robert Barnard of the T-Rex Group.

But the Midsouth Fair Board says its mind is made-up. They just want to liquidate Libertyland. The city on the other hand is open to the offer. "We'll look at it if it's a viable situation if they don't want any subsidies from the city, we wont take bulldozers tomorrow and tear everything done," says Mayor Willie Herenton's assistant Pete Aviotti.

The folks from T-Rex say if the folks from the Midsouth Fair board don't budge they'll have to withdraw their offer. Folks with 'Save Libertyland' hope this ride isn't over yet. "We've got to get them to slow down and let this process work," says Mulroy.
Posted: Feb 14, 2006 9:21 pm

t-rex?

only if they build a shrine to marc bolan should we accept the offer
Posted: Feb 14, 2006 11:29 pm

I Googled "T-Rex Group" and "Robert Barnard" separately and together and nada. Sham central?
Posted: Feb 14, 2006 11:45 pm

Steven Mulroy is an ex-voting rights litigator for the U. S. Justice Department, he's now a law professor at the University of Memphis on election reform in TN and a lawyer for Ophelia Ford.
Posted: Feb 15, 2006 3:54 am

I Googled "T-Rex Group" and "Robert Barnard" separately and together and nada. Sham central? Fierydrunk,BOOYAH me think you hit the target.Sham is right. This is nothing more than a publicity stunt. Dee, Robert Barnard has made himself of public knowledge. Please tell us the exact wereabouts of T-Rex Group and how they make their money, a company profile would be nice. Please respond.
Posted: Feb 15, 2006 4:15 am

he's now a law professor at the University of Memphis on election reform in TN and a lawyer for Ophelia Ford.

The irony!
Posted: Feb 15, 2006 4:42 pm

I found one thing on lexis/nexis. No clue whether they were successful.

http://www.WichitaEagle.com
The Wichita Eagle (Kansas)

February 14, 2006 Tuesday

LENGTH: 87 words

HEADLINE: New owners to re-open Joyland in April

BODY:

Joyland Amusement Park will re-open April 16, its new owners said today in a news release.

Joyland, 2801 S. Hillside, was purchased last October by T-Rex Group, a privately held real estate development and entertainment company with offices in Tacoma, Wash., and Tampa, Fla.

The opening day is Easter Sunday, and the owners said the park will hold its famous Easter egg hunt.

The park closed in July 2004. Margaret and Stan Nelson, who owned the park for more than 50 years, bought it back at auction in December 2004.

Eagle staff

LOAD-DATE: February 14, 2006
Posted: Feb 15, 2006 11:20 pm

9 million huh? Lets see, thats,.....no wait.....hang on.....I think I've got it....... YES! Thats approximately 6 million carjackings! Yea...CarjackLand!!!
Posted: Feb 16, 2006 3:44 am

Hooray for our American Hero, Mr. Barnard. He has taken a slice of Americana and is reviving it beautifully. He (or the other CEO) could do the same for Libertyland.

How fascinating, on a site where the comments tend toward the negative, at least in response to news updates on the fight to save Libertyland, its jobs and its tourism, to relate the news that the real target is, has been, always will be: Willie Herenton.

On a day when current and former employees of Libertyland ask, "why not open the park for bids? Ten thou a month is a great start" -- we find that there is no lease. The mayor never signed any document. So the folks who have been obfuscating, obstructing, and working against saving jobs (I'm talking the employees who have been there year-round or seasonally for two and three DECADES) are now caught lying to the media. Check out Roswell Encina's update on channel 3 at 10.
Posted: Feb 16, 2006 10:18 pm

I just want to say one thing....I didn't hear anybody make a stink about them tearing up Beale St. to make a place to play basketball. They could have put the Forum anywhere but, instead they tore the bricks right out of the street to make way for that shit. A frickin' Bass Pro Shop is going in the Pyrymid! I don't think tearing down a rundown amusement park to put a nice public park is such a bad thing. It's not like they are putting a Wal-mart there. My point is that out of all the lame decisions made by the city...this is at the bottom of the list.
Posted: Feb 17, 2006 3:06 am

The forum's not on Beale Street. It's south of Beale where there were no bricks.
The bricks were taken up because when they were laid down in the early 80s too much sand was used underneath them resulting in a street that had enough dips and bumps to make driving it or walking it like an internship with the rodeo.
I watched Sam Phillips hold onto his Sun Records float for dear life one year because of the wild ride.
Posted: Feb 23, 2006 6:20 am

Hows the struggle for the dilapitaded park coming? Or are we back to saving trees again?

HEE=HAWW!!
Posted: Feb 23, 2006 8:28 am

No trees...looks like it might be a happenin thing.
The "news" is saying that the mayor's on board!
Posted: Feb 23, 2006 5:15 pm

UH, EXCUSE ME???!!!

If anybody needs an MC for the auction coming up I would like to offer my services. It TOTALLY looks like you people could use some star power down there with this. I mean, I'm willing to do whatever it takes to get Sarah Jessica Parker Playland off the ground ASAP! Don't worry kids! Apple martinis are on they way as soon as I have my interns haul off this trash!

But this must happen BEFORE fall as I will be on location for my new riviting blockbuster SLAMMER scheduled for release in 2007. It's about me while imprisoned in Sing Sing on trumped-up charges, a publicist (me) stages an all-inmate musical. It's gonna be tons of fun! Get the kids ready for a very exclusive auction to screen it at SJP playland! Remember, no piggies please, there will be camera's!

Buy my perfume!
Posted: Feb 23, 2006 5:24 pm

Wait--the "mayor" is on board for saving Libertyland? No park? No community center? A tacky ass amusement park?
Posted: Feb 23, 2006 5:33 pm

I told you, me & the mayor have an "agreement". He is VERY excited about the SJP Playland review. So much , he bought a box seat! Thank you Mr. Mayor!
Posted: Feb 25, 2006 8:14 pm

So let's see if I have this straight....

The President of the fair board won't tell the other members of the board that there are cash offers to take over operations of Libertyland.

The mayor either does or doesn't know that there are cash offers to operate the park, and either supports or doesn't support the idea, depending on which of his and his staff's quotes you read on which day.

Someone actually thinks a building yet another crappy Bass Pro store is a good idea. Will there be a Pottery Barn next to it? And a Hogi Yogi?

Here's what I know for certain - if Norton Auctioneers (a notorious carousel chop shop that has been mentioned as hired to handle the auction) sells off the carousel, the city (or the fair board or whoever they finally determine actually owns the carousel) will net almost enough to cover the Mayor's annual car allowance. It's a wonderful, beautiful, carousel - one of less than 200 remaining hand-carved historic wooden carousels in the entire country, and the ONLY intact antique carousel in Tennessee. (Chattanooga's has modern carvings on an antique frame.) But the manic buying hysteria of the 80s and 90s has waned, and that beautiful machine will sell for somewhere in the $600,000 to $750,000 range, in pieces. Destroyed for all eternity. Two figures, the Indian Pony and the Pegasus, will attract the attention of 'serious collectors' and sell for good money - the rest, a few thousand apiece.

Y'know, if all they really want is to make money, the city could profit a whole lot more by tearing down that gaudy mansion, auctioning the contents and building Graceland Condos. They could get an easy million bucks for a 600 square foot condo, and hey, they could keep the pool.

GWH
Posted: Feb 26, 2006 12:11 am

Yeah, but they'd have to work out that out with Lisa Marie, right?
Posted: Feb 26, 2006 1:33 am

I can't wait to have an apple martini at my own theme park in Memphis!(wherever that is??ha-ha) Advance tkts on sale in June!
VIVA SARAH JESSICA PARKER PLAYLAND!
Posted: Feb 26, 2006 2:18 am

Buy my perfume!

Sarah Jessica Parker has a perfume? Does it smell like cunt?
Posted: Feb 26, 2006 5:47 am

Yeah, but they'd have to work out that out with Lisa Marie, right?

Call it redevelopment and eminent domain it. Should be a snap for hizzoner.
Posted: Feb 26, 2006 2:57 pm

The recent announcement by billionaire media-mogul Robert Sillerman of plans to take Elvis-related tourism to the next level includes rescuing the Zippin-Pippin from demolition, according to reporter Amos Maki. This is also being explored w/another story to come out in the CA soon.

Save Libertyland! is working to save the Carousel too, and we have succeeded in getting the city attorney's office to prove ownership. So far they cannot. We maintain the Carousel is an asset of Memphis City Parks, and only the city council can approve such sales. And we cannot allow that to happen. After all, the Carousel, appraised at $1.5 mil, appreciates in value every passing year.
The problem with the current process concerns Mayor Herenton's sole leasing authority. He is or was under subpoena to testify in the Atlanta corruption trial of their former mayor on the subject of "contract kickbacks." At any rate, his record regarding contracts has been called into question.
The 2 CEOs that have reached out to the city & Midsouth Fair executives have been rebuffed several times. We urge the same consideration be awarded to offers on Libertyland as are currently being taken on the Pyramid.
I will keep checking Norton Auctioneers website to see if the Memphis sale is listed. We are committed to doing all we can to stop this auction and negotiate a sale to a reputable theme park company with a proven track record. Check www.detourmemphis.com for updates.
Posted: Feb 26, 2006 7:08 pm

Hey dee, I like the idea of putting the zippin pippin at graceland. Now I think you may be on to something. I read the article about Robert Sillerman he owns American Idol, this could work. You should focus more on saving the Zip, Pip and carousel these could be moved to other sites.
Graceland, Mud Island etc. Great idea would upgrade the appeal to Graceland and Whitehaven in general. Let's do it!!!!
Posted: Feb 26, 2006 7:13 pm

Some people sure do seem anxious for Mayor Herenton to get his hands on that land out at the Fairgrounds, hmmm...?
Posted: Feb 27, 2006 2:58 am

Some people sure don't understand the politics of the city and how it works. And they don't understand that little kiddies don't make decisions.
And they don't know when their( so called )righteous efforts are going no where.
Posted: Feb 27, 2006 6:19 am

Boo-Hoo-Hoo!! Sarah Jessica is turning our beloved crime ridden parking lot into a functional attraction based on an already profitable name....ME! Thank you thank thank you ladies an gentlemen. It's gonna be great! Put your death trap rollercoaster where you wish...THERE WILL BE APPLE MARTINI'S COME JUNE!

In the meantime, don't forget to check out my new smash hit,

FAILURE TO LAUNCH!
Posted: Mar 1, 2006 1:27 am

Happy Birthday Goner Records! And happy Mardi Gras everybody.

Thanks for the best show I ever saw in an Ice Storm: Luv Clowns & MiniVan! And the lovely Zippin Pippins with Amy doing Hellcats songs!

Today, one of the CEO's interested in purchasing Libertyland made an offer in writing -- a "letter of intent" much like the Bass Pro letter of intent regarding the Pyramid.

This is a big step, and will put the spotlight on Mayor Herenton to respond, as he is the "sole leasing authority" for the city of Memphis. Will the city's leaders treat offers on Libertyland with the same zeal as the Bass Pro offer on the Pyramid? The group, Save Libertyland! only asks for equity, parity, and consistency as regards the Mayor's "re-use process."

Ironically, the Bass Pro record of building according to (apparently non-binding) letters of intent includes at least two cities that are still waiting for their Bass Pro Outlet.

Buffalo, NY, was promised a Bass Pro in 2004 that has still not materialized. Closer to home, Bass Pro announced plans to build a humongous store in North Little Rock, Arkansas, in early 2003. That store has yet to break ground.

We have the opportunity with this offer (and others, potentially) to keep Libertyland open. We have an opportunity for a major renovation, added jobs, and boosted tourism. Additionally, Robert Sillerman, the new CEO of all things Elvis, just last week announced plans for a major re-vamp and upgrade of Elvis tourism. According to the reporter, Mr. Sillerman wants to save the Zippin Pippin.

Libertyland's traditional opening date is in April and fast approaches. What will the Mayor do? It's his decision.
Posted: Mar 1, 2006 1:32 am

I'm a Buffaloaphile.
Posted: Mar 1, 2006 2:15 am

Posted: Mar 1, 2006 2:18 am

SJP, you've been utilizing your talents!
Posted: Mar 1, 2006 2:22 am

I directed!
Posted: Mar 1, 2006 11:34 pm

congratulations on the cover story in the flyer...
Posted: Mar 2, 2006 2:41 am

Thanks! Bruce & Co. really stepped up. Now the ball is in Mayor H's court. He (or his spokes-folks) need to weigh in. If Memphis's "leaders" are all agog over Bass Pro's offer on the Pyramid, how about the offer(s) on Libertyland?

I have faith that Mr. Barnard's offer will be followed by an even better offer. So, since the Pyramid is to go to the highest bidder, shouldn't Libertyland get the same treatment? After all, the "re-use" process is supposed to follow consistent guidelines. That's what the $50,000 paid to Looney, Ricks & Kiss went for. Hopefully it won't be wasted, as was the $700,000 or so that went for the (rejected) land-bridge study.
Posted: Mar 2, 2006 6:32 pm

land bridge!

geez.
Posted: Mar 2, 2006 10:00 pm

Just heard from CEO #2 (my personal favorite) and he said he has been calling Pete Aviotti's office to discuss terms, but Mr. Aviotti still has not called him back.

This is past ridiculous. If Bass Pro wanted to lease Libertyland, I guess there would be dancing in the streets around 125 North Main.

Pete Aviotti's direct line is 901-576-6274. Anybody feel like asking him what gives?
Posted: Mar 4, 2006 2:39 pm

Where have all the goners gone? Now that there is some good news finally...
Nick Davis, our blogmeister, has put up streaming video backed by Harlan's song, "It's Only Love," so that all you have to do is go to www.detourmemphis.com (with the sound turned on) and scroll down to see what 14-year-old John Stevenson has put together as a memorial to Libertyland! Beautiful.

It's just about time to head downtown. "We're Off To See the [Mayor]..."
Posted: Mar 5, 2006 1:42 am

I thought I'd said my piece. Stated my position, and be done with it. Felt pretty good for y'all and was glad to see you had made some progress.
Then I read the Flyer article and self-aggrandizing "Off to See the Wizard" piece. Not a single mention of the money being raised going to the film-maker. I think this was the closest it got:
The group began by organizing protests and benefits and collecting signatures for a petition to save the park. They joined forces with the rock group the Zippin' Pippins, which staged benefit concerts in support of their namesake.
Congrats, movers and shakers.
Posted: Mar 5, 2006 5:41 pm

Yep, Mr. Stands, it ain't over til little Willie sings.

What are you worried about? As soon as we become a non-profit and can command the big-name talent, we'll be happy to do shows for the New Owner/Operator of Libertyland.

Until then, let's see, we have raised a total of $50 for film re-imbursement for McCarthy. That's correct. A whopping $50. This because our show was canceled due to the Ice Storm and us being worried about the kids driving in from Bartlett to perform, so the later LuvClowns show that went on was strictly for the bands' re-imbursement (remember our friend from NOLA? He had to make enough money to get back home) and the fact that MiniVan was already previously scheduled and had allowed us to piggyback onto their gig. It worked perfectly and the show was a blast, despite the crazy icestorm.

The NEW, re-scheduled show -- the all-ages We Love Libertyland concert -- will take place Saturday, March 25, from 7-9 p.m. at Otherlands Coffeebar, with all proceeds to go toward McCarthy's film re-imbursement. $5 cover, parental chaperones free. As always, the folks involved are donating their time, energy, effort and promotional skills.

As to the Flyer's mention of our "support" for Libertyland: Currently, until we are a non-profit and there is new ownership of the Park, the way we are "supporting" Libertyland is through making a documentary of the effort to save it and the Reasons It Should Be Saved. And, as with everything, film does cost money. We certainly are not trying to hide our little $50 from you or anybody.

Sorry you didn't like the story, we've heard nothing but good things!
Posted: Mar 5, 2006 5:45 pm

And in the interest of complete transparency: The Pippins played for free when they opened for Harlan during the ice-storm. It was (and always is) an honor to share the stage with him and the LuvClowns!
Posted: Mar 5, 2006 7:54 pm

I've been working to death.
Posted: Mar 6, 2006 12:48 am

Dee, I too thought my position was clear. The problem I have is you continue to compare the reuse of libertyland to the Pyramid,bad comparison apples and oranges.

A fairgrounds reuse committee has come up with six scenarios. Only Liberty Bowl Stadium and the Children's Museum are in all of them. Libertyland and the Mid-South Fair are out, and the Coliseum is a question mark.

When was the reuse of the Pyramid ever out. I applaud your effort for what you believe in but the bottom line to libertyland is economics that park did not generate any money. And it will take millions of dollars and city tax breaks, Like the pilot program, for it to ever see a real profit.Are you telling us Rob and the other CEO will be willing to sink 75-125 million dollars into libertyland for it to be a real attraction? if you are then yes, I would support effort.Otherwise I support Robert Sillerman saving the Zippin Pippin and making Graceland into a better attraction.
Posted: Mar 6, 2006 1:00 am

If you really wanted to save libertyland you would talk Rob and the other CEO into meeting with established theme parks like Magic Kingdom,Dollywood, Universal Studios, Sixflags etc. Maybe they would be interested in purchasing the land. Pete Aviotti, and the Mayor would definetly listen to them. Those parks bring major tourism and major revenue to any city. Dee, you continue to bash the mayor but he's a businessman bring some noteworthy theme park operators with a major porfolio and they will listen
Posted: Mar 6, 2006 1:49 am

Like it or not, though, Patrick, people continue to compare the Libertyland and Pyramid scenarios. I had to argue this out with my g/f just the other morning.

The only thing they seem to have in common is you have two white elephants sitting on a lot of valuable land and a lot of debt, and it's either turn them into something the public can use that won't be a bigger drain on this city's profligate finances, or sell the land to the Bluth family for high-cost, low-quality zero lot-line homes.
Posted: Mar 6, 2006 1:54 pm

Correction: Libertyland, as stated previously on this post, has no taxpayer-financed debt (unlike 5.5. mil for city golf courses, 20 mil or so for Pyramid, and the 10 mil worth of restorations going on at Liberty Bowl). The Mid-South coliseum has also paid for itself and has no debt (just the federally-mandated upgrades for handicap accessibility.)

The re-use process was begun in order to find a "re-use" for the Pyramid and the Fairgrounds area. This process should, and can, be equitable and consistently applied. Another thing they have in common is that the Mayor holds the lease.

Our findings have shown that Libertyland, run by a for-profit management company with a proven track record, will generate far more economic and employment benefit as an existing asset. The re-development plans for Fairgrounds area would not need Libertyland's acreage, in fact Mr. Lipscomb has said repeatedly he would not support anything other than public use for that acreage.

Libertyland is consistent with goals of LRK master principles and the surrounding plans for redevelopment.

Jobs should not be lost just so that the Mayor can hold leases to a strip-mall with chain bookstores and coffee-shops competing with identical uses in adjacent C-Y neighborhood. This would also necessitate the City Council re-zoning the Libertyland acreage, which is also something we would fight.
Posted: Mar 6, 2006 2:14 pm

Our second CEO has now submitted a list of info he needs to proceed with negotiations regarding Libertyland. We have forwarded this list to appropriate city offices. His interest is genuine; what is missing is the same sort of enthusiasm on behalf of city leadership that is currently being expended in the direction of Bass Pro's offer on the Pyramid.

Keep in mind that, in at least two cities (Buffalo, NY, and North Little Rock, AR) Bass Pro has made similar offers to build (in 2004 and 2003, respectively) but has yet to follow through.

I am not suggesting Bass Pro has a pattern of promising more than it can deliver; I am simply saying that the city can now investigate the track record of both CEOs interested in renovating, expanding and running Libertyland, and proceed to make informed decisions based on those findings.
Posted: Mar 6, 2006 4:16 pm

Ten Thousand a month could buy the "kid" plane tickets once a month to a worthwhile park like Busch Gardens or Action Park. Kids LOVE planes.

HEE=HAWW!
Posted: Mar 6, 2006 4:22 pm

Keep in mind that, in at least two cities (Buffalo, NY, and North Little Rock, AR) Bass Pro has made similar offers to build (in 2004 and 2003, respectively) but has yet to follow through.

I know little about Bass Pro, but it can literally take YEARS for large-scale retail to be built and open once an announcement and offer is made. There are many, many things to consider. Here in PDX, IKEA said that one was coming soon in 2001. Still there is no IKEA. Finally after working out massive zoning probs with the area they wanted, they have announced opening for Spring 2008.
Posted: Mar 6, 2006 11:43 pm

I just felt I HAD to chime in and let everyone know that Jack Stands is an upstanding guy but can SHUT THE FUCK UP if he's gonna keep bad-mouthing chicken livers.

Carry on.
Posted: Mar 7, 2006 1:40 am

I just felt I HAD to chime in and let everyone know that Jack Stands is an upstanding guy but can SHUT THE FUCK UP if he's gonna keep bad-mouthing chicken livers.

Carry on.

*laughing uncontrollably*
Posted: Mar 7, 2006 6:23 am

Did you know?

People who love chicken livers also love Thin Lizzy.

Well, what else can you say, really? Poor things....
Posted: Mar 9, 2006 1:39 am

Correction: Libertyland, as stated previously on this post, has no taxpayer-financed debt (unlike 5.5. mil for city golf courses, 20 mil or so for Pyramid, and the 10 mil worth of restorations going on at Liberty Bowl.

Dee, I realize L. land has no taxpayer debt thats not what I'm suggesting!
What I have said and continue to say is it will take a serious finance package to make the park viable and a true tourist attraction. Once again
where is the money to upgrade L.land going to come from,Rob and CEO#2? You must admit the park is need of upgrades,new rides etc. You can't be telling us that if it open the way it is now that's good. You seem to overlook the reason why it closed in the first place.You can blame it on King Willie if you want,but if that park showed serious revenue when it was open the city council would not have let it close, that's revenue for the city. Open your eyes and look at the park, rundown, old, dingy, dirty, old rides, mis management, need I say more? At what point do you and people that support your cause look at some of the real reasons it closed.

Once again redevelopment of L land will take some sort of city subsidizing Pilot program,(Payment in lieu of taxes) or others Unless it is redeveloped by private industry.

The re-use process was begun in order to find a "re-use" for the Pyramid and the Fairgrounds area. The reason the pyramid got so must interest was because private industry was involved in a big way. Bass pro is paying their own way 75-125 million in redevelopment and a million dollars a year in rent. Stop bashing people that stepped up with real money and a real solution. Once again put a group together with a major portfolio for theme parks and people will listen. You want libertyland to get the same consideration as the pyramid,the pyramid is the city's landmark with a major retail investment involved.Libertyland is not on the same level with that plan.
Please post how much in total redevelopment your group is willing to spend to make that park viable
Posted: Mar 9, 2006 1:50 am

Dee, Why not contact Ripley's believe it or not they could do some interesting things with that park. I bet the city leaders would listen to them. I will post their information

Ripley Entertainment, Inc
7576 kingspointe pkwy. Suite #188
Orlando Fl, 38819

Attn. Michael Korenberg/ Acquisitions

E-mail admin@jp-group.com

Dee, your problem is who you are working with, King Willie respects HEAVY HITTERS!!
Posted: Mar 9, 2006 2:58 am

How dare you! I'd say you were deluded but, well, most times you're not.

People who don't like chicken livers think Columbus discovered America.
Posted: Mar 9, 2006 3:01 am

Patrick Epps, that is the most interesting and potentially weirdly Memphis thing I have heard come out of this discussion. Maybe combine it with a Madame Tussauds Wax Museum.
Posted: Mar 9, 2006 4:06 am

Agreed hollis brown ! let's do that Wax Museum. How about adding a 4-D theater with moving seats too. Hey, it makes a lot of money in Gatlinburg.
Posted: Mar 9, 2006 6:50 am

i like jailbreak...but not chicken livers
Posted: Mar 9, 2006 8:17 pm

Best thread ever!
Posted: Mar 11, 2006 1:51 am

yeah...way to go jack
Posted: Mar 12, 2006 4:09 am

Dee, Where have you gone? Have you forgotten all the information I posted?

Just heard from CEO #2 (my personal favorite) and he said he has been calling Pete Aviotti's office to discuss terms, but Mr. Aviotti still has not called him back.

Dee, do you believe the phone calls from Johnny Morris CEO Bass Pro,or Jim Haggle President, went unanswered? I know you Know the answer.

Pete Aviotti's direct line is 901-576-6274. Anybody feel like asking him what gives?

I'll tell you what gives, Rob and Dave don't have the Juice thats what gives. Yes Dee, it is proper business etiquet to return phone calls ,but when you dealing with contribed media stunts by a grassroots group and T-rex group who no one knows, then you may not get the attention you are looking for. Libertyland deserves just what it is getting,torn down. No song from a 14 year old will stop the current process,no matter how cute it was. TALK TO RIPLEY'S ENTERTAINMENT THEY MAY HELP.
Posted: Apr 9, 2006 7:48 pm

Dee, I owe you a apology, I have been reading about save libertyland efforts and I really respect Dan Aylward CEO,Themeparks LLC,(Magic Springs) I read that he sent a letter of intent to the mayor. This is great news, a park operator like this could really turn libertyland around. I want you to know i have signed the online petition and have contacted via email city councilman,Dedrick Brittenum, Jr.,Robert Lipscomb, and magic springs to show my support for this effort. Please update me on the latest efforts of save libertyland.

signed,
Don't hold my ignorance against me.
Posted: Apr 10, 2006 7:59 pm

I don't get it.

I love kids. I love Memphis. I love rollercosters. I love Elvis. I love landmarks. But, I don't give a shit about this. At all.
Posted: Apr 10, 2006 8:08 pm

Epps, you are ridiculous.

Signed,

Someone who has steadfastly held the same opinion on this topic
Posted: Apr 15, 2006 8:34 pm

Ridiculous is holding the same opinion on a topic when the circumstances are evolving and changing -- for example, Geo. Bush vs. Iraq.

Ridiculous is closing down the Mid-South Coliseum in the middle of confirmed bookings that bring in revenue to Memphis.

Ridiculous is 'Government by Demolition,' the new 'War on Fun,' or any other epithet which describes the current ridiculously inept direction (or lack) regarding the redevelopment of the 160-acres that has been home to the Fairgrounds for a century and to Libertyland for decades.
Posted: Apr 15, 2006 8:35 pm

Fuck your documentary and your misguided metaphors.
Posted: Apr 15, 2006 8:42 pm

Hey there Stands, you're the one who started this thread. Is that the best you can do, or are you just having a little trouble getting in the mood for hiding eggs and distributing chocolate bun-buns?
Posted: Apr 15, 2006 8:48 pm | Edited by: Jack Stands

You're right. I started the thread. This was the place for debate. You have your opinon, I have mine. I'm glad things are looking up for your group. But your equating Libertyland with the Iraq burden is not only misguided, but irresponsible. You hate the troops and freedom.
Posted: Apr 15, 2006 8:58 pm

Oh, so I hate, do I?

I have 2 sons, one already draft age. My Great-Uncle served his country in the military, only to come home "shell-shocked" and receive electroshock therapy at the local VA Hospital. My Great-Uncle was electrocuted during these shock-treatments and died at the age of 29.

I would have been named for him if I had been a boy. But I wasn't. I am a female who, in your estimation, hates "the troops and freedom."

Mr. Stands, have you been drinking Kool-Aid?
Posted: Apr 15, 2006 9:06 pm

Again, with the Karl Rove tactics.

Strong military family here, dee. Did you serve?

As for the Kool-Aid, I am very conscious of the military and our troops. This administration leading them is Fubar.

But you insist on equating the death of our soldiers - under orders, mind you - with some crappy ass Revolution.

Really, dee. I hope you get your park, but know that our men and women overseas didn't die to save it. Quit your misguided and wrong comparison. Show some fucking respect.
Posted: Apr 15, 2006 9:11 pm

Respect is spelled with an "r" -- not an "f" or a "u", my friend.

And I am free to equate whatever I observe with whatever I feel is applicable. In this case, the loss of Libertyland represents an unnecessary hardship applied to working American families.

I can say the same for the current "War Economy" of the past 4 years.
Posted: Apr 15, 2006 9:17 pm

I guess I could mention as well that my grandfather flew in a bomber squadron in World War II. He met his son for the first time when my dad was 2 years old.

I have served my country quite well: I produced 2 sons who may or may not become cannon-fodder, depending on the institution of a draft, martial law, or consequence of a pre-emptive strike on Iran.

But this will not change your negative view of all things not J.S.
Posted: Apr 15, 2006 9:17 pm

Respect is spelled with an "r" -- not an "f" or a "u", my friend.
In your white-washed, sheltered world, maybe. I have no illusions, and I say you and your film maker are opportunists looking out for self interest.
Have fun at your park, Hollywood.
Posted: Apr 15, 2006 9:19 pm | Edited by: Jack Stands

I'm sorry. Again, please help me understand what Libertyland has to do with mid-east policy, Karl Rove.

Last I checked, it is still a volunteer army.
Posted: Apr 15, 2006 9:23 pm

If our country exists to advance opportunity for only those few who can afford to PAY for it, then, Mr. Stands, our military is fighting on behalf of, and for, an America that no longer exists except in our collective memory.

Welcome to the Oligarchy. How do you like your blue-eyed boy, Mister Death?
Posted: Apr 15, 2006 9:26 pm

I love my son just fine, Air America.
Posted: Apr 15, 2006 9:29 pm

i sing of Olaf glad and big
whose warmest heart recoiled at war:
a conscientious object-or

his wellbelov'd colonel(trig
westpointer most succinctly bred)
took erring Olaf soon in hand;
but--though an host of overjoyed
noncoms(first knocking on the head
him)do through icy waters roll
that helplessness which others stroke
with brushes recently employed
anent this muddy toiletbowl,
while kindred intellects evoke
allegiance per blunt instruments--
Olaf(being to all intents
a corpse and wanting any rag
upon what God unto him gave)
responds,without getting annoyed
"I will not kiss your fucking flag"

straightway the silver bird looked grave
(departing hurriedly to shave)

but--though all kinds of officers
(a yearning nation's blueeyed pride)
their passive prey did kick and curse
until for wear their clarion
voices and boots were much the worse,
and egged the firstclassprivates on
his rectum wickedly to tease
by means of skilfully applied
bayonets roasted hot with heat--
Olaf(upon what were once knees)
does almost ceaselessly repeat
"there is some shit I will not eat"

our president,being of which
assertions duly notified
threw the yellowsonofabitch
into a dungeon,where he died

Christ(of His mercy infinite)
i pray to see;and Olaf,too

preponderatingly because
unless statistics lie he was
more brave than me:more blond than you.

-- e.e. cummings
Posted: Apr 15, 2006 9:31 pm | Edited by: Jack Stands

neat. you can copy and paste and still be clueless.
Posted: Apr 15, 2006 9:40 pm

That's a great movie! Blondes RULE.
Posted: Apr 15, 2006 10:14 pm

Ridiculous is holding the same opinion on a topic when the circumstances are evolving and changing -- for example, Geo. Bush vs. Iraq.

WOW. Comparing my steadfast desire to see Libertyland go bye-bye and see Memphis get a new, improved huge park and community center/athletics complex to Bush and the Iraq War? Ridic. You have to hold your same condemnation to yourself and your desire to see the past remain the same more than I, Ms. Dee.
Posted: Apr 15, 2006 11:29 pm

WOW. The fact that the Memphis Athletic Complex partners (Rick Brenneman and Kerr Tigrett) have already stated they can develop their athletic complex/skate park ADJACENT to a New Improved Libertyland simply means that.... you haven't been paying any attention at all to this debate.

If you have a steadfast desire to see Libertyland go bye-bye, I can refer you to quite a few kids who will be disappointed as hell they don't get the chance to ride a rollercoaster in their hometown. YOU had the chance, why deny some kid you don't even know the same chance to have fun? Selfishness, pure-D selfishness, For Shame!
Posted: Apr 16, 2006 12:53 am

Shut up, Dee. You are annoying and uncharismatic--maybe that is one of the reasons it has been so easy to be contrary to whatever it is you have been rooting for.
Posted: Apr 16, 2006 1:11 am

Die, thread! DIE!
Posted: Apr 16, 2006 3:10 am

R.I.P.
Posted: Apr 16, 2006 6:16 am

There once was an annoying thread
Whose instigators declared to be dead.
Despite insulting remarks
By "War on Fun" narcs
Libertyfest will go on instead.
Posted: Apr 16, 2006 3:27 pm

Well, after seeing the news on Easter Morning that the most valuable asset in the Memphis Parks system is to be sold off -- the one-of-a-kind Dentzel-Mueller Carousel, appraised at more than 1.5 mil -- I can barely wait to hear the cheers from all the folks on this thread who have waited like a pack of frothing hyenas for the dismantling of Memphis's Amusement Park! Time to gloat, Negators!

LibertyFest has an even deeper significance now, sad to say.

The MidSouth Fair officials have an exquisite sense of timing, to be sure. First they announced the closure of the only Amusement Park for hundreds of miles around at the outset of the Thanksgiving Holidays. Then, just in time for Christmas, the city announces plans to demolish the area that's been home to Libertyland for decades (and the Carousel and Zippin Pippin for nearly a century) so condos can be built there.

Now, on Easter morning, we learn that the jewel of the Park is going to hit the chopping block. What family-friendly folks, the MidSouth Fair! What insightful leaders we have down at City Hall!

Step up and buy yourselves a piece of history, cash on the barrelhead. Too bad the Carousel will be picked apart, horse by horse, to end up in various mansions' rumpus-rooms as some high-end Americana.

It ain't over til it's over.
Posted: Apr 16, 2006 3:48 pm

Uh....EXCUSE ME???!!!
I don't see the problem with owning my own carousel. Do you?
If you have some sort of an issue with that then you must be an anti American communist Taliban supporter or something. Your not an anti American communist Taliban supporter are you? Good. Cause I'm gonna be riding high on my new carousel. Kids can ride for $ 10 dollars per 15 minute ride. Thats the American way! Yeah America!

Ride my carousel!
Posted: Apr 16, 2006 5:46 pm

Actually, Ms. SJP, it would be a blessing if you could take possession of the Carousel. With your penchant for all things beautiful and stylish, such a monumental, unique, and irreplaceable toy would, in your hands, be fully appreciated.

According to Bette L'Argent, however, (she's the president of the National Carousel Association) what happens in these cases is that the carousel is dissassembled and sold off horse by horse, so that the actual carousel no longer exists except in the memories of those of us lucky enough to have experienced it.
Posted: Apr 17, 2006 3:11 pm

Although I am a supporter of having Liberyland torn down, I do really wish there was something that could be done with the Pippin and The Carousel. Those fixtures are one of a kind and nostalgic for sure...dosent look like its gonna happen...oh well!!
Posted: Apr 18, 2006 12:43 am

"...oh well!!" indeed.
Posted: Apr 18, 2006 2:33 pm

Logan Young was killed by the MidSouth Fair hit squad because he wanted to buy the whole thing and move it to Chickasaw Gardens. Bastards.

tater "of the opinion our city needs $1.5 mill more than a carousel" head
Posted: Apr 19, 2006 2:02 am

Your city won't see any of that money, Spud-boy.

The Grand Carousel, according to the RFP issued by the MidSouth [Un]-Fair, is the last remaining example of this lost artform in existence in the world. That would make it priceless.

Besides, they haven't proven yet that they even own it.
Posted: Apr 19, 2006 5:31 am

Thanks for the heads up on the carousel auction, Dee. Any word on the minimum bid on the barbed wire fencing? I've got a customer in Cuba who needs a couple gross.
Posted: Apr 19, 2006 5:46 am

"gross" indeed.
Page  Page 3 of 3:  « Previous  1  2  3 
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®