Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / Libertyland, a friendly debate...
Page  Page 2 of 3:  « Previous  1  2  3  Next »
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 8:43 pm

Wow!
2 pages of whinning about a 3rd rate state fair located in a parking lot! Yer gonna have to pay that violin player some overtime Sarah Jessica!!
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 8:43 pm

They played Libertyland according to the new Big Star biography, which gives excellent insight on Memphis during the 60s and 70s. Apparently, there were 3 clubs that catered to teens and rock and roll back then.

The language is the language. My kids (19, 10, and 19 months) understand the difference between the truth and a redolent wind.
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 8:44 pm

They played Libertyland according to the new Big Star biography, which gives excellent insight on Memphis during the 60s and 70s. Apparently, there were 3 clubs that catered to teens and rock and roll back then.

The language is the language. My kids (19, 10, and 19 months) understand the difference between the truth and a redolent wind.
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 8:47 pm

How's that fer seein' double? Jeezus whar's tha babe?
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 8:49 pm

OK. Key words there , 60s and 70s! What year is it no car mom? Tell me about the fantastic shows the kids attended this year? Or last Year? Or the year before? And no...Joan Jett at the Fair doesn't count. Not that they would know who she was anyway!!!

And whats with the double posting?
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 8:52 pm

Just to belabour this discussion, Libertyland opened in 1976, right? Big Star, for all practical purposes, broke up in 1974 and then reformed in 1993 and have not played Libertyland during that time period. That book is full of inacurracies, but it's not your fault you don't know what's going on here either.

My guess why Libertyland's not profitable? It's certainly not because they overpay their teenage employees. Most likely, it's because not enough people pay to go there because it is not a very good attraction.
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 8:57 pm

I was one of those teenagers who work summers there. It sucked. It was hot. CarjackLand is dangerous for kids and adults. Good Ridence!
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 9:05 pm

You said I was hitting the bottle, so I thought I would prove your veracity.

As for the profitability question: What do you have against a first-class, successful, modern and clean Amusement Park in the middle of your town? Because that is what private management would do.

Libertyland has been managed by a NON-profit. The city has denied their lease for 10 YEARS. This is only part of the picture, but what has that got to do with a vision for a great, fun, successful theme park, which is what we are trying to achieve (and what the 2 CEO's want as well) -- I thought this thread opened with a statement about not being "anti-fun," but is the real issue here? Some people want to take fun away from others, but the ones who want to keep the fun don't want to take anything away from the party-poopers? Just trying to understand of course.
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 9:14 pm

first-class, successful, modern,clean? I got nuthin against that. But thats not whatcha got here darlin. You got Carjackland is whatcha got.

Oh...and everyone that knows me deffinetly knows I'm totally ANTI-FUN! ha-ha...absolutely hate fun. Getting carjacked is funn! Watchin the rats run across Carjack Land is fun. Ya know, yer exactly right no car mom! What the hell was I thinking! Lets go get robbed ! WHOO-HOO!
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 9:22 pm

Get your millions, buy it, fix it up, open a 1st class amusement park, & we'll all crown you Princess Leia No Car Mom of Libertyland. What are you waiting for? Your drive to save this place has been going on since September. The Kids are waiting for you to have it open by spring break!!!

However, if you want us to rally around saving the pathetic Libertyland of the last 30 years, in the immortal words of Chris Elliott, 'Get a Life.'
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 9:23 pm

I thought this thread opened with a statement about not being "anti-fun," but is the real issue here?
I think your idea of fun is completely subjective. If Libertyland is is swooped down on and "saved" by privatization and doesn't cost the taxpayer a dime, then neat. Let them have it. I hope it's a great success. But in the meantime, I think it is too far a stretch to save, and the space could be used to better benefit the city and the whole area is an eyesore.

But don't bally around with the generic blanket "All Kids Want This". Your kids want this. My kid likes soccer, karate, football, baseball and music. The answers from the kids on the Live at 9:00 thing all sounded canned and scripted. "I won't have any memories". If the best memory an 8 year old can come up with is Libertyland, shame on the parent.
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 9:24 pm

That money would be better used to move the Pippin and Carousell, and fix the Shell.
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 9:31 pm

SAVE US SARAH JESSICA PARKER! SAVE UUUUSSSSSSS!!!!!!
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 9:33 pm

And my statement that many housewives in Midtown have no car, perhaps I should have said Black Housewives.

QUITE the assumption!!! Wow. And even some "poor people" have working cars.

As to the "fun stuff" you listed -- been there, done that.

Oh please. That is so insulting! And short-sighted. You are so devoted to your cause that you are now devaluing tried and true (there ain't nothing wrong with tradition or being natural born Memphians) kid-oriented aspects of Memphis. Why????
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 9:44 pm

If the best memory an 8 year old can come up with is Libertyland, shame on the parent.

Preach, Brotha Jack, PREACH!

I actually attended Libertyland opening day, the all night Telefon and the opening of the Revolution (maybe that was the same as the all night thing). When it was nice, clean, well-run and within a couple of years of the Bicentennial relevance. I then went back in the late 90's with a bunch of young teens I worked with and while they "liked it", when asked, they much prefered going to Singleton's gym (community center) to play hoops, football. soccer or work out, go to a movie, go to a Tiger game...sure, I am against your vision, but I am not against vision...which Memphis desperately needs. Nor am I against fun. The thought!!!!!

Save the Pippin. Not "Libertyland".
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 9:46 pm

So.... anyone know more about the documentary?
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 9:51 pm

So.... anyone know more about the documentary?
Ugh, sensationalist, opportunist crap from how it's been described. War in Iraq in no way paralells tearing down Libertyland. Well, I take that back; car-bombs and car-jacking have the word "car" in them...
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 10:14 pm

The documentary will also feature George Klein, a big proponent of Libertyland. So far the footage is great.

The kids were not scripted.

The last theme park taken to success by the CEO we met with was closed down completely for 5 years. Now it draws 500,000 people a year, twice what Libertyland drew. So he doesn't settle for a mediocre theme park experience. This is what we are aiming for: a complement to the KROC Foundation/MAC Complex redevelopment. According to the MAC people, they'd rather Libertyland stayed. They just can't say so publicly.
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 10:19 pm

I'm not trying to "devalue" experiences at the children's Museum, the Zoo and the Pink Palace. I'm just telling you: We've been there and we've done that, and we like Libertyland as well. I would not stand idly by and see the Museum, Zoo or Pink Palace torn down either.

I would also not sling mud at people who were trying to save a landmark on behalf of not just her own children, but many community children. As much as it must gall some to admit it, Libertyland IS a landmark!
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 10:20 pm

With barbed wire around it.
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 10:23 pm

No mud is being slung...by me anyway! I just happen to disagree with you. You have to be able to take that in your position, I would imagine. Personalizing everything is not neccessary.
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 10:47 pm | Edited by: Buzzzzzz

Come on yall- lets get behind this save libertyland thing just to make Dee happy. It's obvious that the people of Memphis shouldn't do anything but agree with you Dee. Our interest and input about this subject is not worthy. All of us obviously just hate kids!

With the constitution in flames, its much more important to the future of our kids to save this themepark.
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 11:13 pm

Get your millions, buy it, fix it up, open a 1st class amusement park, & we'll all crown you Princess Leia No Car Mom of Libertyland. What are you waiting for? Your drive to save this place has been going on since September. The Kids are waiting for you to have it open by spring break!!!

However, if you want us to rally around saving the pathetic Libertyland of the last 30 years, in the immortal words of Chris Elliott, 'Get a Life.'

First of all, Mr. Willnot, the announcement to close Libertyland was not until
November. If you have attempted a grass roots movement of any type, you would know it is not an easy undertaking. We are simply trying to halt another piece of Memphis history being confiscated by the City. It's ironic that this board is supposed to be an underground forum, yet many of you sound like the developers and politicians that I have been dealing with. I really thought you had more vision than you display. If you disagree with our motives, fine, but don't try to belittle our efforts. When/if Libertyland is reopened, I will definitely not need any gifts from your sour pedestal.
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 11:22 pm

Come on yall- lets get behind this save libertyland thing just to make Dee happy. It's obvious that the people of Memphis shouldn't do anything but agree with you Dee. Our interest and input about this subject is not worthy. All of us obviously just hate kids!

With the constitution in flames, its much more important to the future of our kids to save this themepark.

Kids might think you hate them if you support demolishing their theme park & replacing it with condominiums.

Go ahead and agree with the Mayor, Buzzzz. He sees the land as his own personal retirement package -- some pattern emerging as to kickbacks on contracts related to the Atlanta subpoena, since he's the "sole leasing authority" for Memphis. Trust Willie if you like.
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 11:35 pm

See how UN Memphis and UN American I am? Oh and dont forget UN kid.

But see, I believe in you. I think you will succeed. I just see it as ironic- saving a piece of fake American history while another one is shitted on.
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 11:42 pm

You gotta start somewhere.
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 11:46 pm

What's "underground" about a public internet discussion board?

I am sorry that your idea is not a good one. Don't get mad at me or any of the other people here who don't agree with you. I happen to think it's the Worst idea I have heard in a long list of bad ideas in Memphis over the years. That's my personal opinion. Your "movement" will stay grassroots because there are not that many people willing to put the money (so far, none, including a woman with no car) into saving such an "attraction," and there are relatively few customers for such an ailing, weak business. I also happen to think your idea is johnny come lately after a very progressive, visionary idea came forth. Grassroots movement took the previously weak Memphis Zoo to a whole new level, but it was because the people who liked the zoo wanted to improve it and did something about it before things got to Libertyland's anemic level. Did you form a committee of the Kids and its supporters over the last 10 years as L.Land fell into further obsolescence? Did you meet with the non-profit that has been running L.Land into the ground for years before the MAC was announced? No, you're a johnny come lately with no money and no plan.

People who post on this board who don't like your idea are not developers or politicians; we just don't like bad ideas. We love Memphis and we love great ideas like fixing the Shell for our future music scene. Like making a great park out of what is now abandoned flea market/barbed wired ghetto parking lot. Unfortunately for you, your idea is a bad one.

I will repeat: if you have millions to fix this amusement park to 1st class standard, go for it because it will take many millions to do so. I don't want to spend one nickel on Libertyland--of my money or tax money either. I don't think it is a good investment as a business or for the city. However, I think the MAC plan is great for a neighborhood that needs an awesome park and community center.

(By the way, just because something existed doesn't mean it is historical nor a landmark. Libertyland is neither. I would submit that you need to get out more to see real amusement parks as your subjective taste of amusement parks is a bit parochial)

I grew up with Libertyland. I went there as a kid in 1976 and it was lame then. Has gotten worse over the years, and it now has a bright future as a sports-oriented park and community center.

You paint people with good opinions that don't agree with you as anti-Kids. We love kids. That's why we want something good to happen there. For the Kids.

No one is standing in your way and you're welcome to have all the low-rent media events you want. It doesn't change the fact that your idea is not the best one going. Nor is it, in my opinion, a good one.
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 11:46 pm

Dee, Please listen your cause may be a hot button topic for fox 13 or wreg
but for the taxpayers who you seem to want to foot the bill. We want Libertyland to stay closed. Second look at the proposal by Pyramid park memphis in conjunction with basspro. No taxpayer dollars and the debt we owe on the pyramid will be paid by basspro 1million dollars a year. How will libertyland help pay the debt on the pyramid? Your cause is only good for giving the children you seem to care about, false hope. Once again dee children can't and won't make business decision for the city of Memphis. Let it go.
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 11:53 pm

I could give a shit about Willie Herenton as I --and pretty much everyone else--has said many times on our underground forum. I simply think your passion is misplaced, while you think that if someone disagrees with you, then they are in bed with corrupt politicians and lawd knows what else. It seems your argument goes all over the place and honestly, it makes it really easy to not listen to your unwavering passion. You jump to belittling us for not being underground enough. Attempting to push someone into respecting you is never going to work.

I know it is frustrating when people don't see something your way, but compromise and cooperation is part of every successful grassroots organizing effort.
Posted: Feb 11, 2006 12:24 am

Good point fierydrunk dee sounds like she has become a little too involved
in what some kiddies she talked to want and out of touch with reality.Hey
dee tell them to forget about that, and focus on real issues like grades,conduct and obiedience. What these kids need now is not libertyland, but a kick in the ass.
Posted: Feb 11, 2006 12:30 am

Agreed! Tell 'em if they don't do good in school, they'll haveta get a job working at a place like Libertyland. Tuffen 'em up a bit.
Posted: Feb 11, 2006 12:42 am

I've held off til now, though I think saving the Pippin and the Carousel are worthy goals. And, I'm really looking forward to the documentary.

If your kids are waxing nostalgic about "memories" at 6 or 8 or 10 there's something wrong. Very wrong. They've been watching too much Dr. Phil while they're being homeschooled.
I mean, I'm all for noteworthy Memphis childhood memories (and I've flaunted them on these forums) but, come on. Kids don't need to be whining about what they're missing. My grandma's favorite thing to say about me was "She's so adaptable." And I always considered that a high compliment. Ride with the tide. Go with the flow.
There's a lot about Memphis I miss...my childhood memories. But, you know, life is change. And the sooner the kids figure this out the better.

Signed,
Midtown Mom with $750 dollar car
Posted: Feb 11, 2006 12:51 am

I get it, already: Not A Good Idea.

Well, the multimillionaire CEO thought it was an interesting enough idea to come in from out of state and discuss it. I may not have any money, but who cares? Libertyland never got a dime of your taxes, unlike the FedexForum, Pyramid, etc.

MAC and KROC can do their thing adjacent to Libertyland. Old news.

p.s. nice soliloquy sherm
Posted: Feb 11, 2006 12:52 am

Gawd, you sound as bitter as my mother down in Arkansas.
Posted: Feb 11, 2006 12:55 am

Alisa we see eye to eye on this one.What is dee going to tell them when it's not reopened? It's the non supportive public fault? DEE LET IT GO! YOUR DREAMING. I mean having a nightmare ha! ha! thats what it would it be if they reopen libertyland.
Posted: Feb 11, 2006 1:06 am

Gawd, you sound as bitter as my mother down in Arkansas.

This was directed at my opinion? It's not bitter. Just the facts, ma'am.
I was a very little girl when they razed the bus lanes at the zoo. I took the bus lanes to Snowden. Do I miss that lovely wooden bus stop in front of the zoo? Hell yeah. Do I think the zoo's improved? Hell yeah.
My vote is suspended about the proposals for the fairgrounds. Will I miss the Fair there? Hell yeah. Is it an intregal part of my growing up in Memphis memories? Hell yeah. Is Libertyland a dump? Hell yeah.
Am I in favor of a big athletic complex there? I don't know...not if there's going to be milk crates as basketball goals. And, if the city can't even maintain Overton Park (mow the grass) that's a big possibility.

I admire your gumption, Dee. But...if you're doing it "for the kid's memories" then it's way displaced. It's not bitter to say that life is change, and they better damned well get used to it.
Posted: Feb 11, 2006 1:07 am

Sorry I missed out on the fun! Looks like I missed alot! I was out with the boy and my nephew making snowmen, throwing snow balls, kicking around in the snow, gtoing in and out of the house for hot chocolate, dragging them through the yard on a piece of cardboard, and other things that will result in inconsequential memories.

The documentary will also feature George Klein, a big proponent of Libertyland. So far the footage is great.
You would be better servered if you organization hooked up w/ Triple Six, or are y'all too afraid of the neighborhood south, 'cross the tracks (except for when Lib Land employs them during the Summer for a paltry wage)?

This is what we are aiming for: a complement to the KROC Foundation/MAC Complex redevelopment. According to the MAC people, they'd rather Libertyland stayed. They just can't say so publicly.
Did they make you their spokeperson? Are you playing both sides?

It's ironic that this board is supposed to be an underground forum, yet many of you sound like the developers and politicians that I have been dealing with.
I would like to develop success. Libertyland is not part of that plan.

Kids might think you hate them if you support demolishing their theme park & replacing it with condominiums.
Are Condominiums part of the MCC plan? And seriously, who made you representative for all children and czar of what they like?

He sees the land as his own personal retirement package -- some pattern emerging as to kickbacks on contracts related to the Atlanta subpoena, since he's the "sole leasing authority" for Memphis. Trust Willie if you like.
A) First you used Karl Rove Tactics, now it's on to guilt by Association.
B) Liberty Land is tied directly to the Atlanta allegations? This makes about as much since and is about as likely as Yellow Cake purchased by Sadam. Stick that bad analogy in the "documentary", too....
Posted: Feb 11, 2006 1:21 am

You figured it out: I am the Czarina of kids.

Al Kapone would be my choice.

I'm the spokesperson for Save Libertyland, but the MAC guy who called me did say that they want Libertyland to stay.

How is a condo complex a key to success? Even Aviotti says it'll be condos. Condominiums on what was once a children's park. So sue me, but it's a no-brainer.
A pattern of questionable ethics concerning "contracts" while the Mayor is the "sole leasing authority" to sign such contracts raises a red flag.
Posted: Feb 11, 2006 1:24 am

Well everyone knows Willie is crooked as the day is long! Questionable ethics? How long you lived in Memphis?? It's a time honored tradition...ah, memories!
Posted: Feb 11, 2006 1:34 am

"Condo made of Stone-ah"
Posted: Feb 11, 2006 1:45 am

Ok dee, answer this will these CEO's you talked to about reopening the park.A) buy the property and pay for all the upgrades?(B will they put together a comprehensive plan to get more public support?(C Will they hire you to get all the children you support to the park?(D will they come up with more than the 48 million dollars salvation army has? Or, will they ask taxpayers for the money? Your blind if you believe they will foot the bill themselves for the needed upgrades libertyland needs. Dee business is business.
Posted: Feb 11, 2006 5:24 am

why are you all such a bunch of curmudgeons? goddam you have spent a lot of time on here telling this person she has no right to spend her own time fighting her own cause. it seems to be the same grumpasses that always start shit with people and it is usually something that is none of their damn business. why is it so hard to simply ignore someone who is doing something you think is dumb or worthless? A lot of people ignored that revolutionary floatation tank business here in the 90's. easy enough, no?
most of the points made seem moot- just bored grumpy people who aren't getting laid is what it sounds like. If she wants to save Libertyland, who the hell are you (especially those who dont live in memphis) to tell her she's an idiot? If you want to save the Shell, you should get off your asses and get to work on your own campaign-
Posted: Feb 11, 2006 5:57 am

Chris Elliot on the Goner Board? Who knew? I'm honored that you would take the time to register under a pseudonym and utter such bold, innane statements.

Me? I'm snowed in with no tv or otherwise this usually-ignored topic wouldn't have been broached by me.

I don't recall anyone telling her she can't follow her dream. My thing is follow your dream, but please quit lecturing to us (over & over) "it's about the jobs" or t"he Kids" or some other controversy that's in her head. We're not a bunch of curmudgeons--at least the ones I know yapping about this. In fact, most of the folks I know who have posted here-- the "curmudgeons"--are folks who get things done around town & don't go around whining about it. If you're gonna post on a public board where people are not easily dazzled by b.s., then either develop some thick skin or keep your dreams to yourself.

I'm ready to have that log ride saved, so where's the fatcat with the multi-million $ check who is willing to subsidize a mega-money loser?

As far as floatation tanks go, I'm smart enough to admit my mistakes and move on to bigger and better things. Memphis wasn't/isn't ready for 'em. Ouch, you got me. Zing! You missed out--they were a lot of fun for a few sharpies.
Posted: Feb 11, 2006 6:09 am

Brad, I'm all about keeping the Pippin (the wooden coaster), AND the Carousel. I've said many times, I would fight for them. The reason they say the rides can't be moved is because they would loose some status on some "historical register". If they can keep it there, fine. If they can't, I want them taken down and placed elsewhere in the city and operating. I could give two fucks about their "historical status". I know they're old, I know they're beautiful, and I know they're fun. That's why I'd want to keep them in town.

chris elliot? do you actually care about Libertyland? if so, please throw down your opinion. that's why this thread was started.
Posted: Feb 11, 2006 6:18 am

Yep. I'd fight to keep it running, too.

That's one fucked up ferris wheel.
Posted: Feb 11, 2006 6:22 am

Wait a minute, Brad. what part of "keeping it running in Memphis" do you not understand?

If they can keep it running there, fine. If they can't, they need to move it elsewhere in MEMPHIS and KEEP IT RUNNING.
Posted: Feb 11, 2006 6:36 am | Edited by: Jack Stands

Brad, are you suggesting they integrate the Pippin and the Carousel into the proposed plan of the MCC? I would go for that.

And there is a tree (almost) "on the tracks" with the Pippin where it stands today. Just when you get to the top, go around the bend, and start the plummet down, there is a HUGE oak tree that seems like you're about to smack into.
Posted: Feb 11, 2006 6:45 am

Do you think every board on there is original?
Posted: Feb 11, 2006 2:00 pm

Thanks for the links, BradX. I've forwarded them to our web-guys (www.detourmemphis.com). The Pippin was built by John Miller during the "Golden Age" of roller-coasters, it is in the top 5 oldest operating. We've been interviewed by a London newspaper about the effort to save it.
The National Carousel Association president says exactly what you've pointed out about the carousel.
For people to carp about the effort to bring outside, professional management into a theme park that has been run by a non-profit and allowed to deteriorate because of the denial of the lease by the Mayor of Our Fair City is beyond me. But then, this is the Deep South, and efforts by visionaries are often discouraged here. Hope you come back and visit Memphis and maybe we'll get the miracle we're praying for -- a re-invigorated, beautiful and bustling Amusement Park in the center of town, surrounded by a new athletic complex and nearby community center.
Posted: Feb 11, 2006 3:49 pm

Ya'll don't seem to get it. I'd be cussing too if I was trying to talk to you people. Sherman just wants to fight! Meet me in the parking lot at Early Maxwell and Mississippi. There are some big, black, crack sellers who want to kick your ass! I'm selling tickets!
Posted: Feb 11, 2006 4:29 pm

What I am seeing is an ongoing attempt by the "Save Libertyland" proponent(s) or friends of proponent(s) to ignore some aspects of reason. Seriously. There have been quite a number of people who have posted on this board that simply say they disagree with saving Libertyland, are more behind having a park/community center on site, would love to help saving the Pippin and/or the Carousel.

Then Dee, "Chris Elliot" and now Misty ignore simple reason as well as attempts to compromise and work with others and get all riled up and respond to the "fight" in this entire thread as much as Sherman! Look back and read. It isn't at all one-sided.
Posted: Feb 11, 2006 4:38 pm

95% of the thrill of riding the pippin was knowing at any given second you were going to die
Posted: Feb 11, 2006 4:40 pm

I agree wholeheartedly with that last statement.
Posted: Feb 11, 2006 4:57 pm

Elvis does too!
Posted: Feb 11, 2006 5:24 pm

Having lived in Memphis almost all of my life, I couldn't care less what elvis liked.

Why do we have to keep the pecan in it's un-edible shell to save it?
Posted: Feb 11, 2006 5:28 pm

What "reason" is being ignored? The park/community center proponents have no problem with Libertyland staying where it is. The many acres of asphalt offer re-development planners an unbroken vista of opportunity. The crux of the Libertyland debate has been from the beginning: Do we look at options to better the Amusement Park so that condominiums and "small-scale retail" (Starbucks, chain bookstores and the like) do not replace a tourist destination that happens to employ more teenagers than any other entity?

I believe it is sensible to take time to consider options, rather than running off half-cocked into yet another "infill development" that has excluded both an economic impact study and an infrastructure survey.
Posted: Feb 11, 2006 5:30 pm

Has it even been proposed to the LRK folks to keep the Pippin and the Carousel as part of their complex? Or is this strictly an all-or-nothing group? It has been said that they don't want to see it torn down. Why not compromise? Libertyland is only part of the whole development plan.
Posted: Feb 11, 2006 5:36 pm

The 6 scenarios begin with proposals that keep the standing structures, as in #1, then progressively more destructive as you get to scenario #6, which obliterates the school, the Mid-South Coliseum, the Fairgrounds, Libertyland, and apparently the urban forest within the park.

Save Libertyland! favors scenario #1, the least destructive, in which athletic uses and community uses co-exist with historical structures and amenities guaranteed for family recreation, which fit the 100-year mission statement of the area.

However, since the $50,000 study excluded (at the behest of the Mayor) any economic impact statement/study, as well as any sort of infrastructure assessment, Save Libertyland! finds the whole kaboodle to be a waste of taxpayer dollars, much like the land-bridge study that cost more than $700,000 and was ultimately shelved.
Posted: Feb 11, 2006 5:37 pm

The reason of the some of the people on the board. You must admit, much of your reaction has been knee-jerk and full of half-truths and hyperbole. It has been difficult to see what exactly you are wanting: To save Libertyland, save the Pippin/Carousel, save jobs or engage in an all-or-nothing verbal and occaisionally insulting battle with those who disagree with at least part of whatever it is you are talking about.

On this board, you have chosen to view people who disagree with your view as your enemy. I don't see how that can help you in your cause.
Posted: Feb 11, 2006 5:44 pm

Finally! Real talk! If you can provide real statements instead of heart-string pulling "kids like it" arguments, I will definitely listen. What are the other options? And don't post a link; post them here. Even Sherman makes me try to do research on other Memphis issues, while full-well knowing I'm a lazy fuck. Man, I hate that.
Posted: Feb 11, 2006 5:48 pm

I have no enemies, and I've got all the friends I can currently handle. On this board, on a thread begun by people who have not accumulated the facts presented to our group, we have attempted to present the results of interviews with current and former board Presidents, executive committee and advisory committee members of the MidSouth Fair Board of Directors (all of whom say the Mayor is forcing them off the land by denying their lease proposals for the past 10 years); also, interviews with current and former employees, contractors, and management of Libertyland (all of whom want it saved, so they say); as well as interviews with Memphis's CFO, six city councilpeople (so far); Mayor Herenton and his special assistant Pete Aviotti, other advisers to Mayor Wharton; the staff and CEO of Looney, Ricks & Kiss consultants; the chairman of the re-use committee, Cato Johnson, as well as members of the committee; the director of Memphis Heritage non-profit organization; the presidents/historians of the National Carousel Association, American Coaster Enthusiasts, and the National Amusement Park Historical Society.
Based on these interviews, conducted since November when the story broke, Save Libertyland! is proud to adopt the stance that Libertyland deserves a chance. The 2 CEOs who have come forward (thus far) are now communicating with city leaders and Midsouth Fair executive committee members, so our group is satisfied that our hard work is yielding some fruit.
If this is too difficult to understand, just think of us as being about: Save Libertyland!
Posted: Feb 11, 2006 5:56 pm | Edited by: cthort

DESTROY LIBERTYLAND! (but, um, save the pippin and the carousel)
Posted: Feb 11, 2006 6:12 pm

What about doing one of those referendum things to find out how the people of Memphis feel about saving Libertyland? The poplulation of Memphis should have a say in the decision to put ANY local tax dollars into this project. I realize that "the kids" cant vote, but lets look at the reality of this. Do a majority of the people of Memphis want this? Dee, you have listed off people you have interviewed and talked to about Save Libertyland, but what Community Organizations have you talked to and are they supporting your cause? I want to know if you have gotten anywhere in gaining support with the greater Memphis population and if you dont have that kind of backing, why not? If you do have a list of organizations that are backing SaveLibertyland, then they need to be listed on your website. What about a town hall meeting type thing where the people of Memphis can ask you guys questions about what you plan to do? If you do that please dont pull a Bush admin type thing where you set up the questions. I have a question, I almost died at Libertyland on a fucked up ride, how can you raise the money needed to fix that? If I go back or take my kids, I want it to be safe!

Most people on this board, think for themselves and have decided what they think- the grassroots campaign (tied to a documentary that depends on the hype of the campaign) should be trying to educate those who havent made up their minds yet as opposed to people who have and just disagree with it.
Posted: Feb 11, 2006 6:54 pm

What about a town hall meeting type thing where the people of Memphis can ask you guys questions about what you plan to do?
I think this is an excellent idea.

Also, dee, there are MANY Memphians on this board who I have not seen weigh in. I want to hear as much input as possible. I don't want to see you give up, either.

On this board, on a thread begun by people who have not accumulated the facts presented to our group, we have attempted to present the results of interviews with current and former board Presidents, executive committee and advisory committee members of the MidSouth Fair Board of Directors (all of whom say the Mayor is forcing them off the land by denying their lease proposals for the past 10 years);
You are completely correct, I don't have all the facts. I want them. I want to understand what options are available. I think everyone else does, too. Here are some questions I would like to see answered:

1) The avenues you are looking at to save Libertyland (getting private funding from other Theme Park representatives) will not cost me, the taxpayer a dime. This money will be used to improve the park. I am with this. This is a great initiative on y'all's part. Go for it. However, is there a real commitment, or is there just "interest"? What will you do if they back out?

2) If LRK is really doesn't want to see it torn down, but need the space, have they been contacted and negotiated with to make a contingency to incorporate the Pippin and the Carousel into the plan? If this hasn't been done, it should be.

3) If LRK cannot support the Pippin and Carousel, have other locations been identified to move it elsewhere in town? What is the cost? I bet you would find many more people interested in saving those two attractions and keeping them running in the city than saving all of Libertyland. Heck, I may even support that proposal via tax revenue.
Posted: Feb 11, 2006 7:01 pm

Also, I am reluctant to sign your petition, because I do not know the language of your proposal. Do you need the signatures to show Memphis interest on behalf of the Theme Park Reps to show we are behind them in privatization of the Park (I'd sign that, btw)? Or is it a blank statement "I love Libertyland, and you better not tear it down, and I will do anything it takes to save it" (a slippery-slope signature list that can be used later to show inacurately that I am willing to pay taxes for the entire park - which I would not agree to).
As mentioned before, dee, I have done a couple of grassroots drives myself. Your language in your petition is essential.
Posted: Feb 11, 2006 7:25 pm

Here's the petition, available for signing online at www.detourmemphis.com:

"We, the undersigned, do hereby call on the City of Memphis to abandon plans to tear down Libertyland. Rather, we call on the City of Memphis to allow renovation of Libertyland so that it can remain as Memphis's only Children's Amusement Park."

The petition is simply a way to exhibit support for Libertyland. We have no illusions as to its official stance, it was begun immediately upon the disclosure of the park's closing and is for evidentiary purposes only.

1) We will find out the level of commitment from the 2 folks who contacted us. There is also a list of 8 other management companies which have yet to be contacted.

2) LRK is prohibited from expressing an opinion about which plan is best, according to what they announced at a Dec. 9 meeting. They do not seem to deal in specifics, so I have no way of knowing if they would be receptive to the contingency you describe. However, the re-use committee has stated a preference for scenario #6, the most destructive one.

3) There have been to my knowledge no economic impact statements done by LRK, which would include the cost of moving specific landmark assets.

You will never hear me suggest a tax increase for any reason.
Posted: Feb 11, 2006 7:31 pm

If LRK is really doesn't want to see it torn down, but need the space, have they been contacted and negotiated with to make a contingency to incorporate the Pippin and the Carousel into the plan? If this hasn't been done, it should be.

Absolutely. Have you consulted with the community planning schools/programs at Rhodes, U of M and even the social work college at UT/Mem? There may be students there who could help you and your group (if you were so willing to compromise, as I honestly feel that you are going to have to) gratis. I am still not in favor of saving Libertyland as I have heard proposed on this board, but I am definitely for trying to salvage the Pippin and carousel and if it was possible, incorporating them into the development. And no, I don't currently live in Memphis but developing that area would certainly make my inevitable return home that much easier to look forward to.
Posted: Feb 11, 2006 7:34 pm

As a simple marketing tip, you might get more interest in your group if you changed your name. "Save Libertyland" has obviously run up against, at the least, hesitancy, at the most, disagreement, from people on this board who don't want the status quo (run down, barbed wire, out of date the year it opened). You might change to "Fix Libertyland" or "Enhance Libertyland" or "Make Libertyland a new place like it never has been Land." Saving Libertyland doesn't have much cache to people who live in Memphis, worked there, and/or visited there. I know marketing isn't your forte, or you wouldn't have Misty White as a spokesperson, but it is very important when you're trying to raise $20-40 million for something that needs (minimum, at least) that much work.

I'll leave you be as you have a lot of work to do. Maybe you didn't realize how much money it takes to build a 1st class amusement park, but if you had, you would have a better marketing strategy.

And, Misty, if I wish to buy crack, I'll do it the way everyone else does...mosey up to Glass Onion & buy it from you.
Posted: Feb 11, 2006 7:37 pm

Hey Sherman, it's called the Celtic Crossing, remember? And, speaking of dirty cracks, how's your mother?
Posted: Feb 11, 2006 7:40 pm

Good marketing plan.
Posted: Feb 11, 2006 7:48 pm

Meet me in the parking lot at Early Maxwell and Mississippi. There are some big, black, crack sellers who want to kick your ass! I'm selling tickets!-Misty

And, Misty, if I wish to buy crack, I'll do it the way everyone else does...mosey up to Glass Onion & buy it from you.-Sherman

And, speaking of dirty cracks, how's your mother?-Dee

on second thought maybe you shouldn't have an open discussion with the community...just sayin
Posted: Feb 11, 2006 8:14 pm

Really. Jesus Christ. That kind of uh, "approach" wouldn't even go over in hippie ass, crazy Portland where I live.
Posted: Feb 11, 2006 8:23 pm

Sherman you can't hang! This is the funniest shit I've ever heard.
We have been here laughing and shooting holes in your text all morning.

Keep it up girls. I've been to Libertyland every year-Save Libertyland! Watching the Worm squirm is delightful, thanks.
It's an amusement park!

Sherman, I'm so glad the snow came, because I know you wouldn't be discussing such a "lame idea" for so long, and keeping us so entertained.......

Hit the salt pool, tend the store, and leave the kids alone Grinch.

PS: That crap about existence and history was the best! Please keep typing!
Posted: Feb 11, 2006 8:26 pm

Don't whine for Sherman, he's a big boy. He brought family into the discussion, so I obliged.
Posted: Feb 11, 2006 8:28 pm

Hey Portland. I used to live in Olympia. But this is the Deep South, where the nitty gritty gets laid out and the trust-fund hippies grow peaked.
Posted: Feb 11, 2006 8:29 pm

I know marketing isn't your forte, or you wouldn't have Misty White as a spokesperson

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA -HA!!!
Posted: Feb 11, 2006 8:33 pm

A friendless debate.
Posted: Feb 11, 2006 8:36 pm

How did this debate get so UN-friendly? and naughty and silly and ???
Posted: Feb 11, 2006 8:37 pm

Dee, why will you not answer my posts? I am asking valid questions, yet you want to sling mud at Sherman. I could be totally swayed, as well as many community members, who want answers from you. For all you know, I am a member of a community organization and Im gonna go back and give them details about this plan of yours. Are you thumbing your nose at the majority of Memphis' population who care about the future of THE kids? Have you thought about black churches? They might just support it- loudly too, but if you marginalize your community and think they are too ignorant to understand the politics, then you probably havent been here in the community long enough to know where the power is.

Wheres the list of supporters????????????
Posted: Feb 11, 2006 8:43 pm

We have the support of the Director of the Memphis Black Arts Alliance, Ms. Bennie Nelson West, who wrote an impassioned letter on behalf of Libertyland to Councilman Brittenum, as many members of her family worked there and she herself has overseen many talent showcases there.

I am trying to provide information, however, it would help if people with positive ideas can follow up on those ideas and report the results.
Posted: Feb 11, 2006 8:46 pm

I was only trying to think of other uses for the park! I was only kidding when I said I was selling tickets. Oh, also, I'm not a spokesperson, so there!
Posted: Feb 11, 2006 8:48 pm

An important footnote: Sherman's estimation is off, according to what we were told by the GM of Libertyland. He put it more at 2-4 million in operating capital and the most valuable asset, the Carousel, is assessed at 1.5 million. Everything else is less valuable but that gives a ballpark. As to restoration costs, those go up every day now that management has laid off the last 3 ride mechanics, who possessed a total of 65 years' experience.

Two weeks' pay and a "Keep Yer Mouth Shut" contract or they wouldn't get their severence package. Pretty lame.
Posted: Feb 11, 2006 9:08 pm

the Mid-South Coliseum
give me a sledge hammer...i want to be first in line for this

Two weeks' pay and a "Keep Yer Mouth Shut" contract or they wouldn't get their severence package. Pretty lame.
some call that good business...
Posted: Feb 11, 2006 10:48 pm

Hey Portland. I used to live in Olympia. But this is the Deep South, where the nitty gritty gets laid out and the trust-fund hippies grow peaked

Um, I'm well aware! I actually was born, raised and educated all over the place in the Memphis, Tennessee. I only left to actually get a job making a living wage in my field (social work). We did a lot of community organizing projects in my master's program at UT. MIFA has a lot of experience in this; I did one of my field placements there with the Teen Jobs Program (sucked--I believe Libertyland was one of the employers, though) and the Vance-Estival Homes plan.
Posted: Feb 11, 2006 10:50 pm

the Mid-South Coliseum
give me a sledge hammer...i want to be first in line for this

man, based on the "memories of youth" argument, I should be chaining my body to the risers in the "Golden Circle" of this joint!!!!
Posted: Feb 11, 2006 11:31 pm

"Good business"? Not when we have people calling us that have worked for Libertyland for more than 20, 25, and 30 years saying that the park has been run as a giant tax write-off for the MidSouth Fair.

It is obvious that people who say things like "F**** the Park" and "give me a sledgehammer" have already made up their minds. Either way, you can still come to the premiere of our documentary. We're open-minded that way.
Posted: Feb 11, 2006 11:43 pm

I believe it is sensible to take time to consider options, rather than running off half-cocked into yet another "infill development" that has excluded both an economic impact study and an infrastructure survey.

Dee, Pyramid Park Memphis in conjunction with BassPro. Is this a proposal that has excluded an impact study? The pyramid re-use committee studied the best use for the pyramid for 2 years. Robert lipscomb brought in consultants for an infrastructure survey. Once it was determined the best use was Retail/entertainment and Greg Ericson presented a plan that was both marketable and cost effective, libertyland was closed.Don't ignore this dee people who may support you want to know if your plan is better than a state of the art indoor theme park with 12 to 15 major thrill rides a water park and a plan that gets taxpayers off the hook for the debt on the pyramid. Please respond.
Posted: Feb 12, 2006 12:21 am

see, its people who can't take jokes on an online message board who bug me
Posted: Feb 12, 2006 12:25 am

see, its people who can't take jokes on an online message board who bug me

Can this be the Quote of the Week?
Posted: Feb 12, 2006 12:38 am

Thinking the taxpayers are off the hook for the Pyramid 22 mil debt is the only joke I see here. Everything I have read indicates the debt is still there, as is $5.5 mil for city golf courses and $10 mil for the Liberty Bowl. The Amusement Park has no taxpayer financed debt.

I have no "plan." The only plans involved are the ones presented by the 2 CEOs and/or the other companies on the list.

The City has only recently been open to hearing of these plans, which is a positive step, considering the disastrous demolitions of the past in which Memphis has torn down historic buildings only to regret it (for example, Stax.)
Posted: Feb 12, 2006 12:40 am

I hear you. It's not that I can't take a joke ,really I'm a fun guy. But some of the things that about save libertyland that have been posted has a business strategy. If dee wants the support of the community Greg Ericson and his proposal has to be addressed. Don't you find it coincidental that right after the announcement of Basspro at the pyramid
and a possible indoor theme park and hotel. Libertyland was announced closed. I keep reading how much of a tourist attraction libertyland was.
If it is reopened can it compete with a indoor park that will operate year round. This is a valid question and should be addresed if dee wants people to put their time, effort and money into a grassroots effort.
Posted: Feb 12, 2006 12:44 am

It's not that I can't take a joke ,really I'm a fun guy

who cares, i wasn't talking about you
Posted: Feb 12, 2006 12:46 am

remember when they called the pyramid "tomb of doom"?
little did they know...
Posted: Feb 12, 2006 5:27 am

Dee, as soon as you can post information on exactly what plans these 2 ceo's have for libertyland please do so.
Posted: Feb 12, 2006 8:24 am | Edited by: BugMeNot

AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW
Posted: Feb 12, 2006 4:45 pm

Bass Pro scenario glimpsed
Outdoor retailer would pay Pyramid rent, redevelopment

By David Williams
Contact
February 8, 2006

Bass Pro Shops, lured to The Pyramid by federal incentives, would pay all arena redevelopment costs and minimum annual rent of $1 million.

Dee, take a look at this
Posted: Feb 12, 2006 5:03 pm

Committee considers indoor theme park for former Memphis, TN arena
Date: 6/28/2005
Source: Hotel Online
For proponents of a Pyramid theme park, the roller coaster ride is only beginning.

"Most definitely," said local marketing executive Greg Ericson, who leads a group seeking 100 percent private funding for a project expected to cost up to $125 million, with perhaps another $50 million for a hotel.

"But were very, very confident with the idea. Were confident the financing is achievable, because its a very feasible project."

Dee , Doesn't look good for Libertyland
Posted: Feb 12, 2006 5:42 pm

why can't there be both?
Posted: Feb 12, 2006 7:52 pm

Wow! I go out to do some work & come back & you guys have FREAKED OUT!

Hey Dee, who are these "ceo's" who you are having these "meetings" with?

Why would they choose a mom with no car to have meetings with anyway?

Me thinks you are bluffin....
Posted: Feb 12, 2006 8:11 pm

Beware woman w/borrowed wheels.
Posted: Feb 12, 2006 8:12 pm

Uh....I'm not a woman...
Posted: Feb 12, 2006 8:14 pm

Infact, I think I might be the ONLY person on this who actually WORKED at Liberty Land . 2 years in a row at that! 1988 & 1989. Lookout!
Posted: Feb 12, 2006 9:01 pm

Yo Dee, ...Anytime you wanna name those "ceo's" would be just fine with us darlin.
Posted: Feb 12, 2006 9:36 pm

Bass Pro Shops, lured to The Pyramid by federal incentives, would pay all arena redevelopment costs and minimum annual rent of $1 million.

Dee, it's no joke basspro has real money behind this project.

"Most definitely," said local marketing executive Greg Ericson, who leads a group seeking 100 percent private funding for a project expected to cost up to $125 million, with perhaps another $50 million for a hotel.

No joke here either, Ericson group has the capital. Post the plan for the 2 ceo's You continue to reference.
Posted: Feb 12, 2006 9:58 pm

No doubt Dee. Lets see this "plan". Me thinks you is bluffin darlin...
Posted: Feb 12, 2006 11:09 pm

Hey, I meant beware of "me" when I have borrowed wheels -- and better yet, a babysitter!

The CEO's are Dan and Rob. They don't want their last names leaked publicly until the mess blows over. Rob called today and offered $10,000 a month until the lease is up in October, cash on the barrel until the option to buy comes up, and was turned down flat by the GM of Libertyland. So we are taking this as the throwing down of some sort of gauntlet. More to come, I'm sure! Stay tuned.
Posted: Feb 12, 2006 11:20 pm

Oh...of course. Dan & Rob. Ceo's of what? Why would they not want as much media attention as possible? It would just make them look better.

Congrats on obtaining a vehicle! Good luck in the snow!
Posted: Feb 13, 2006 1:53 am

Dee, If Dan and Rob whoever, are serious about Libertyland they would not be so silent to the public who's support they will need. Second if they had real capital they could buy the park outright. What is the estimated value right now of libertyland. I'm sure you can tell me that. Please respond. No serious businessman G.M. or otherwise would turn down money for a run down park.10,000 dollars thats more than what this park made in 2 years.
Posted: Feb 13, 2006 2:28 am

For ten grand a month I"LL show the kids a good time!
Posted: Feb 13, 2006 2:36 am

god damn, its pick on Dee day, i know not everybody is down with all this but geez...patrick are you related to omar? if so, go talk to him about some lessons on how to be cool to people and not rubbing shit in their face. at least she's out there doing stuff
Posted: Feb 13, 2006 2:45 am

If she's truly SERIOUS about getting out there & doin stuff for these so called "kids" , maybe she should be a teacher or a cafeteria employee.

Uh....HELLO!
I have not been contacted about my fantastic offer to revamp the whole park & rename it SARAH JESSICA PARKER PLAYLAND....
If she WAS serious, she would offer my wonderful idea to these so called "ceo's" & then the kids would have something to look foward to when they turn 21! Right now they will have to settle for my new perfume "SITC Kids Style!" Cause your never to young to set the night on fire!

Later losers!

By my new perfume!
Posted: Feb 13, 2006 3:44 am

your right deadcityrebel. She is. Ok I'll wait for more info on the subject.
I hope I'm related to omar he is pretty cool.
Posted: Feb 13, 2006 4:47 am

I've been Googling Dan & Rob all day and can't seem to find any sort of mention of CarjackLand. Maybe I'm on the wrong sites. What companies did you say they were ceo's of? I missed that one....
Posted: Feb 13, 2006 5:06 am

I just realized how freakin gay that sounds......
Posted: Feb 13, 2006 6:57 am

I'm so sick of this all that I could puke. Dee's doing what she thinks she ought to do. Mr. Epps is just strange with his BassPro bias. I realize that I don't know what the hell I'm talking about half the time, though I've really held off on all of this because I don't know what the fuck I'm talking about.
I'm tired, and have just been to the "Antenna Club" and have seen a real "this is your life" unfold. And it sucks. It wasn't a beautiful reunion...it just brought about more questions and more non answers. And more "who shot John." I'm not happy to be in Memphis tonight.
Save Libertyland! Bass Pro Pyramid! South End condos! It's all the same thing. And I'm TIRED OF IT!!
Have at me. Memphis sucks tonight.
Posted: Feb 13, 2006 7:25 am

Sorry, I've been drinking. And have talked this evening about Libertyland, and Memphis, and etc. It's just too much. It seems Memphis is all about division, and there ain't no middle ground.
Posted: Feb 13, 2006 8:07 am | Edited by: Ms Realist

I'm a lifelong Memphian and I took my child to Libertyland when it opened in 1976. It was a sterile, bland, 4th rate excuse for an amusement park then and it hasn't improved with age. I'm amazed anyone would want to "save" it.

I agree with Sherman on most everything he's posted on this subject. I also don't remember any "legendary performers" who ever got their start or did a show at Libertyland. Elvis certainly did not, and as Sherman correctly pointed out, Big Star was pretty much out of the picture by '76. Stop spreading the myth about all the Memphis legends who got started there.

The carousel should be saved, even if it has to be moved to another city. As for the Pippin, I thought it was unsafe when I was a child in the 50s. And it really scared me when my mom said she rode it in the 20s. It's ancient, and if it has to go, well.....as Alisa wisely said, things change and our kids had better get used to it.

So, is anyone actually going to this "Save Libertyland" show on the 18th? Where will the money that's raised go and what will it be spent on?
Posted: Feb 13, 2006 8:39 am

Is that you, flamin R?
Posted: Feb 13, 2006 1:18 pm

This is for Alisa: I was going to go to that party, because Hisky invited me & the hubbie and since it was my birthday weekend, I thought it would be great, an Antenna Club reunion! But then, after getting the baby to bed, and having a few people ask me if I even Knew The Guy the party was for (I've met him) and finding out that the girl that planned it sent out 200 invitations, and thinking, well, I wasn't in the top 200...I felt like maybe I'm not cool enough to go. Then hubbie says he can't go out on Sunday nights because he works 8-6 the next day, so...I was feeling kind of sad until your post actually woke me up. The few times I played onstage at the Antenna it was always like "Oh no, the girls are crashing the boys' Tree House Club, let's teach 'em a lesson!" and the sound man would turn it up to 11 until distortion set in, and then when I begged for help, laugh in my face. Ahhhh, Memphis, the Deep South, and Being a Natural Blonde! PRICELESS>

And Ms. R.: The money goes to the bands who want it, and to buy more film for the documentary by Mike McCarthy (he has spent a LOT of his own money.) Libertyland gets promoted for free and the rest of us are donating our time & energy. Sorry you didn't have fun at Libertyland, I sure have, and so have my kids. It's good for kids to have fun, and my kids (if this makes them weird, so be it) like to reminisce about fun things with me. We talk a lot.
Posted: Feb 13, 2006 2:18 pm

Of course, this morning I'm sorry I posted drunken drivel about the party. The guy whose party it was is a really great guy, and I know it must have been really fun for him. My little rant has more to do with all those nights I spent there, and the fact that it's always been hard for me to navigate murky Memphis/Midtown waters. I hurt someone's feelings with my reminiscences last night. I felt like a schmuck, as I so often did at the Antenna Club! I guess you really can't go home again...
Posted: Feb 13, 2006 2:36 pm

Maybe you can't go home, but you can still clean house!

Let's hear it for all the moms out there that keep the world turning and the dust flying. Some Spring Cleaning is in order in the town.
Posted: Feb 13, 2006 3:19 pm

Jesus Christ I'm glad I'm not a mom! ha-ha...

Don't feel to bad, I worked at ANTENNA and didn't get any "invitation". Even if doin lights for beer isn't considered work (ha-ha). Tell me who was there. Sounds like fun!
Posted: Feb 13, 2006 3:34 pm

dtrain = worked at Libertyland
dtrain = worked at the Antenna
dtrain = worked at some food joint w/mr. gunn?

dtrain = rock and roll
Posted: Feb 13, 2006 3:35 pm

Could I get a MOM over here? My rooms a MESS and I have real work to do today and no time to be on the internet or beating the kids or any of that soap opra watchin stuff. If any of you MOM's out there have any extra time between commercials and bitchin 'bout transportation or whatever.. could you please come pick this mess up! I've got to go out into 2 1/2 feet of snow and walk my crippled ass to work!! There's a shiny nickel in it for ya when I get home. How about that! Lets hear it for the moms!

HEE=HAWW!
Posted: Feb 13, 2006 3:36 pm

Thanks Jack! Why am I still poor after all this work?
Posted: Feb 13, 2006 3:37 pm

Lots of people were there. Steve and Cindy, Greg Hisky, Jeff Evans, Sherman, Misty, Angerhead, Robert Gordon and his very nice wife, Ross, Easley and Mrs., Lorette Velvette, and a lot of people that I've seen a million times but don't know.
Calculated X, I think that's who that was, played.
Posted: Feb 13, 2006 3:43 pm

Holy shit... Was Mark Mcgee there? Christ that sounds like fun! You people gotta let me know next time that happens!

Thanks Alisa!
Posted: Feb 13, 2006 4:46 pm | Edited by: fierydrunk

Who was the party for?

Yeah, I don't think I could have sat in that environment without freaking out. "Things Change." Good mantra with good reason. I went to a house party in 98 at the house I was a teenager in the 80's in on Stonewall and FREAKED OUT. I was like one foot in 1984 and the other in 1998. And all these people were in "my house"!!!!

Ugh!
Posted: Feb 13, 2006 4:51 pm

dtrain, I don't know about Mark McGee. Andria was there...she probably knows who all was there way better than I do!
It was Davis McCain's birthday. He's a real sweetheart.

Thanks, fiery. I feel like a real big baby this morning because I freaked.
It was a fun party, really. Memphis just gets to me sometimes.
Posted: Feb 13, 2006 4:55 pm

I know...gets to me too! Love it but I think anywhere you grow up in has that effect...unless you grew up a total sociopath with no feelings.

The one and only time I played the Antenna was fun but terrifying and it was like busting in a boys club, which is all it was. It was an all-girl band and performance put together just to give this chick who some guy had a crush on some glory. I have to admit though, playing that big ass Fender bass on that stage was coooooool. I was 18 and weighed about 95 lbs...it looked hilarious on tape!
Posted: Feb 13, 2006 5:30 pm

umm, i could not read everything I have missed, but a few things i need to get clear, i am so not WAY OVER 21! You make way too many asumptions about, well everything. And I am sensitive about my age.

if you can't afford a car, how can you afford to take your kids to liberty land, no priorities here, that is probably why some people don't have cars

there are places i miss from my childhood, but i don't think my childhood would have suffered with out Libertyland. I remember having much more fun being in the scouts and doing fun activities around the city often for free (my mom had a car, but we were by no means well off when I was a kid). There are many days in the year when memphis spots have free activities and entry. All the parents have to do is keep up with places they want to go. Get creative, start a book club with the kids and their friends, start a sports league, get together with your local library and have local artist come speak once a month. Do something healthy, fun and educational instead of filling them up with candy and spinning them around until they are sick.

oh and your fight is good, but i think it could used better. fight for better schools, newer books, better play areas, cleaner parks; fight for careers, fight poverty, fight hunger, fight for something that will really make a difference in Memphis or the world instead of some concrete vomitorium.
Posted: Feb 13, 2006 6:04 pm

I wasn't addressing you, I was being silly about that SJP-poster and her butt-rubbing cyberfriend.

I never said I was too poor to have a car. I was asking about what fun things there are to do w/kids in Midtown for 10 bucks, and mentioned I'd have to be able to get there w/out a car, seeing as how mine died the same month Libertyland was announced closed. I'll eventually get one, it has simply made the winter that much more winter-y. I can walk to Libertyland.

As to the "concrete vomitorium" comment: By all means don't go someplace that grosses you out so much. But you still have no right to take it away from children. If you want to see some kids who are fighting to save their park (not Your Concrete Vomitorium) I suggest you come see the 8, 12, and 14-yr-olds opening the show this Sat. the 18th at the HiTone. Perhaps they can explain to you why Libertyland deserves the chance it has never had. You see, the theme park was run by a NON-profit, and the Mayor has denied their Lease for 10 years.....
Posted: Feb 13, 2006 6:04 pm

Lute, you rule.

Now what is that recipe for Tamale Balls????
Posted: Feb 13, 2006 6:06 pm

The money goes to the bands who want it, and to buy more film for the documentary by Mike McCarthy (he has spent a LOT of his own money.)

Scam.
Posted: Feb 13, 2006 6:25 pm

Well, you could always bring a canned good if you don't want to pay $5 to hear Harlan T. Bobo & the Luv Clowns (he was the weekend CA Playbook cover story). Altho Tim needs the money as he's coming all the way up from NOLA.

Other than that, I don't think it's a scam to put on a show for kids who want to demonstrate their love for their Park in their own way with their own original songs and/or covers of meaningful songs they like to sing. This is a great venue for kids, it has pool tables and food and plenty of room to dance. There are few places for a show of this nature, as last Luv Clowns' show took place at First Congo and they actually needed a bigger room.

How is this a scam? We offered to hold the show at the Creative Arts Bldg. at Libertyland, and trade them free web graphics and DVD filming and editing work, but they would not come off the $1,500 rental fee, so the HiTone is the plan. This way, our filmmaker can maximize his contact w/potential interviewees, the kids are empowered, and we get to have fun. Or is fun a scam too?

And thank God Mike has been willing to spend so much of his own money so far, or he wouldn't have gotten beautiful footage like of the last few days, with snow all over the rollercoasters. He does have a family of his own to support, as well as an ailing parent who lives with him and his family. Mike is a treasure and deserves all the support he can EARN --because believe me, he has more than earned our support, and we are the ones in his debt for his dedication in capturing so many incredible moments on film so far!
Posted: Feb 13, 2006 6:37 pm

Is Save Libertyland about the kids or is it about this "documentary"?
Posted: Feb 13, 2006 6:37 pm

So, how is this a scam?
Posted: Feb 13, 2006 6:39 pm

The kids ARE the documentary, as is Libertyland's controversial fate. The documentary will be the only record we have of what is going on, if the real estate developers have their way and Mayor Herenton gets his "vision," whatever that may indeed be.
Posted: Feb 13, 2006 6:42 pm

When was the last time these "kids" in the documentary have actually BEEN to Carjackland? Have they even ever been at all?
Me thanks Jack has hit the nail on the coffin. (cough-cough)
Posted: Feb 13, 2006 6:46 pm

It's a fraud because the money you are raising in no way is going to save libertyland. You are misrepresenting your cause, if it's to pay musicians and buy film you should say so. And in whose pantry will the canned goods go?

For the kids indeed.

I doubt anyone's surprised considering ya'lls reputation, but Harlan should be ashamed.
Posted: Feb 13, 2006 6:47 pm

They all went last year. They go every year, just like my husband has since the park opened.

But the main point is: Some people don't like certain things. That is okay. Some people do like certain things, and that is okay too.

But is it right for people who don't like certain things to take them away from the people who do like those certain things? I mean, as long as those certain things are not actually hurting anybody.

Play nice or you could put out an eye with those sharp, pointy words.
Posted: Feb 13, 2006 6:49 pm

Is the documentary still comparing the closing of Liberty land to the War in Iraq? Have the kids been to Iraq?
Posted: Feb 13, 2006 6:51 pm

We aren't taking anything away from these kids. The sad decrepit park is to far gone and has been to neglected for too long to do anything with. Where were you when this was happening all these years . I have to agree with Jack, this sounds like a Buddy Douglas special if ya ask me. Are you sure he's not involved with this somehow?

Let them make a new nice place these kids can play at & be safe.
Posted: Feb 13, 2006 6:53 pm

What is my reputation? I have put on shows in Memphis before and no one complained.

I told you we offered the show for Libertyland, at Libertyland. But were turned down on our offer. For us to donate money to Libertyland itself, we will need a large venue. This is being worked on. Until such time, therefore, the best use of the money is to re-imburse the bands and the filmmaker. Libertyland gets free promotion in the media. This is a form of acceptable barter that works in small-scale concert promotions. It is the seed of bigger things, such as what works for the fundraising arm of the Orpheum, the Zoo, the Dixon and other places that accept charity. When we incorporate as a non-profit, as these other groups have, we will be in a better position to generate funds for the park. We are still very much a grass-roots organization. But we are meeting with the re-use committee soon, so at least we can update them on our information.

And just so you don't get all steamed: I have not accepted any funds generated by this series of shows. The first show bought $60 worth of film, as well as paid some of the performers. The rest of us donated our time.
Posted: Feb 13, 2006 6:57 pm

At this point, I am now comparing fight to save Libertyland with the protest on the assault on civil rights and privacy due to the NSA spying scandal, but that's just my own personal sense of irony, you understand.

I did meet a soldier recently returned from his 2nd tour of duty in the Middle East, and he was pretty darn pissed to hear about Libertyland's closure.

Who is Mr. Douglas?
Posted: Feb 13, 2006 6:59 pm

Film? You mean $5 dollar miniDV tapes? thats...hang on...that's 12 hours of tape on standard play. With the park being closed, how much footage can there be?
Posted: Feb 13, 2006 7:01 pm

Civil Rights! Oh my god. When buisnesses don't make money, THEY GO UNDER! That's what Carjackland did. This is halarious!
Posted: Feb 13, 2006 7:02 pm

What companies are these "ceo's " from? Please shut me up on this one.
Posted: Feb 13, 2006 7:05 pm

Well, "dtrain", let's see now: there are personal interviews w/people associated w/Libertyland; the footage of the tv stuff getting done, the radio appearance, the X-mas parade where we marched with signs saying Save Libertyland!; several meetings, town hall and such with city officials; interviews w/city council; planning session footage, press conference footage, children giving their opinions; the first concert we did; the footage of the ch. 5 interviews at Sun; and assorted shots of the park and maybe some stuff I forgot. Does that satisfy your insatiable curiosity?

Or are you making a film as well and know how to do it for cheaper? Please advise.
Posted: Feb 13, 2006 7:08 pm

When businesses are run like this one was, they go under. It doesn't mean the business idea was a bad one. It simply means that those operating the business were either:

a) inexperienced
b) inept
c) corrupt
d) all of the above.

But since Libertyland has been run by a non-profit and was not run to MAKE a profit, the above examples could be moot.
Posted: Feb 13, 2006 7:18 pm

Thats why it's a bad idea to continue...

I know lots about makin movies. Just ask your buddy Mcarthy. I'm sure he's got it under control. But yer gonna need to show some profit if yer gonna save a money pit like CarjackLand . What companies are these "ceo's" from again?
Posted: Feb 13, 2006 7:19 pm

For us to donate money to Libertyland itself, we will need a large venue.

Wha?

Or you could use the money from the benefit shows to open an account to support the cause (see all those accounts to help kids who have cancer or whose parents were shot or who lost things in Katrina...ahem); donate to an eventual Libertyland nonprofit or to another agreed-upon and stated nonprofit or cause if/when the Libertyland thing falls through. It is your business, but you should be up front when doing "benefit" shows. If it is advertised as helping Mike make the movie, cool, but otherwise, I dunno, sounds a little fishy.
Posted: Feb 13, 2006 7:21 pm

I believe it might be called an "escrow" account. But don't ask me, ask Buddy Douglas!

HEE=HAWW!
Posted: Feb 13, 2006 7:33 pm

There's post of the show flyer at our blog. We haven't mis-represented anything. You can either come or not. No biggie.

But it will take larger venues, much larger than the HiTone, and huge name stars such as are to be found here in Memphis, to make such a fundraising arm effective for Libertyland. Our little hundred here and 50 there is only the beginning. And if the first dollars go to talent and film supplies, well, that is what we need to support right now. Our actual, physical support for Libertyland is about bringing them legitimate offers on the park, which we have now done.

As to future musical events, we are inviting everyone to step up. Until that time, our focus is the film and hooking up those 2 CEOs. The guys who don't want their names batted around. However, Pete Aviotti (Mayor's special assistant) knows who they are, why don't you call him and ask him what's up?
576-6274 I think is his direct line.
Posted: Feb 13, 2006 7:34 pm

making a film as well and know how to do it for cheaper? Please advise.
There are LOTS of local film folks. And as with the bands, most would do their work for free if they believed in the cause.
Posted: Feb 13, 2006 7:44 pm

Libertyland hurts me everyday when I have to drive by its ugly, dirty, ill painted, delapidated, chain link fenced vortex pit of sugar and filthly wasted space.
Posted: Feb 13, 2006 7:46 pm

I'm ready to show the kids a good time! Where's them 10 G's!
Posted: Feb 13, 2006 7:48 pm

most would do their work for free if they believed in the cause

took the thoughts out of my head
Posted: Feb 13, 2006 7:54 pm

I work for a huge (much larger than Libertyland or the community center or a condo development on that land) nonprofit medical school/medical research hospital that never turns down a dollar, much less a hundred. I think opening an escrow (thanks dtrain!) account in order to deposit funds you collect through having benefits etc is a neccessary part of any grassroots effort.
Posted: Feb 13, 2006 7:56 pm

Most ARE doing their work for free. It's a great Southern American tradition, right? And the more we do, the more we do.

We'll be opening that account soon! My uncle works for that big bank downtown.
Posted: Feb 13, 2006 8:11 pm

Uh..EXCUSE ME???!!!
I had my people call this mayors office of yours and he asked if we had any good "connections" in the trafficking bisness. I cannot do buisness with crackheads. He was (however) very intrested in my SITC extravaganza show that will be a featured attraction at SJP Playland an has bought exclusive box seats! Thank you Mr. Mayor! We may even premier my new movie in spring "spinning into butter" with free buttered popcorn (with price of admission) specifically for the "kids"!
Now is that giving somethin back or what!

Don't say I never gave ya nuthin!

Now buy my perfume!
Posted: Feb 13, 2006 8:17 pm

i was thinking, what is the big deal if most people only go once a year.

go to the fair to get your giggles, it is the same type entertainment once a year

the kids could even be involved by entering contests
Posted: Feb 13, 2006 8:26 pm | Edited by: fierydrunk

I was thinking about that parent who posted earlier today about taking his kids on opening day and how it was a 4th rate, staid somethingorother amusement park.

I wonder if my mom thought the same thing? I know I remember feeling like, "This is IT?" and I was 8, not some cynical 12 year old. I would typically only go once a year when someone had their birthday party there or something. I doubt my mom enjoyed it very much, esp. because she was always on some wacky 1970's diet at the time. It was depressing, all that Bicentenial crap that every kid was having crammed down their throat and into their wardrobes and the terrible countryish "performers" (gross) and the endless concrete and chainlink fences...across the street was the old Fairview Drive In and I always looked forward to LEAVING Libertyland so I could get a real shake or malt.

Anyway, those are my memories from when Libertyland was in its prime. I don't want to assume your kids are insane, Dee, but I cannot see how they are losing their minds over the demise. That is all I am saying. I think they would want better opportunities for fun and all those "poor teens" who worked there would certainly benefit from better jobs...say perhaps at a community center or even (God Forbid) a chain bookstore.
Posted: Feb 13, 2006 8:27 pm

Great idea! We could have a "kid" lottery to see who can attend the premier! No little piggies please. (we have limited camera lense space!). I may even throw in a SITC dvd box set for the top 5 winners! Now hows that for fun!
Maybe I'll get that Steven Segal to do some Karate tricks for 'em. I mean, what are we talkin here, 2, maybe 3 hours of good SJP Playland fun for the little brats!
Oh, please include a picture with your lottery entry as to avoid the piggie problem mentioned above.

YOUR WELCOME!
Posted: Feb 13, 2006 8:41 pm

Maybe we could have a doughnut shop reunion......naaaahhhh!!!!
Posted: Feb 13, 2006 8:42 pm

Well, "fierydrunk", if all happens as you want, then no more children will ever get the chance to decide for himself or herself what they think of having an Amusement park in the center of town. I guess that could be wonderful, not to know what one is missing. But is ignorance really bliss?
Posted: Feb 13, 2006 8:45 pm

As for my kids, don't worry they won't be losing their minds. When we lived in Little Rock and the city bulldozed the only Amusement Park, we just went across the river to Funland in North Little Rock. Let's see; the nearest Amusement Park (if Libertyland is not saved) is in St. Louis. Oh well!
Posted: Feb 13, 2006 8:45 pm

Don't worry, I'll tell 'em what a dump it was. I am (most likely) the only one on this board who actually WORKED there! ha-ha...
Posted: Feb 13, 2006 8:46 pm

Perhaps you were part of the "profitability" problem then.
Posted: Feb 13, 2006 8:46 pm

the nearest Amusement Park
...is Six Flags over Jesus on Appling Road. Your faith must be this tall to bowl...
Posted: Feb 13, 2006 8:49 pm

Oh yes! ha-ha.. in 1988..ha-ha... I'm sure my $4 dollars an hour was an unbelievable strain on there wallet. So much so they asked me back a 2nd year cause I made so many kids happy in my freakin sweatbox parrot suit!
But yeah...it was me bleeding there coffers.
Posted: Feb 13, 2006 8:50 pm

Posted: Feb 13, 2006 8:55 pm

Speaking of "profitability problems", hows the Glass Onion these days?
Posted: Feb 13, 2006 9:02 pm

Thanks, Alisa. I got that camera now; I've been meaning to take pictures of the giant crosses to post examples for our out of towners, but these will do nicely.
Posted: Feb 13, 2006 9:05 pm

Dee, why do you get so insulting and acidic anytime anyone states their opinion, the ones that are averse to yours, at least? If this is how you communicate with people in the community, I am certain you aren't that successful of an organizer. It is completely off-putting. I think I was fair, calm and simply reflecting on, hey, my own experiences as a precious child at Libertyland. As stated, I do not hold my Libertyland memories as dear as most of my other childhood fun memories of Memphis. I am obviously not the only one.

I doubt any of us kids that were of age ever were asked if we cared if that place opened or not whenever the geniuses behind Libertyland conceived of that abomination. You weren't living in Memphis then, but before Libertyland, it was simply The Fairgrounds and it was cheap as hell, but somehow, a lot better than Libertyland. But hey, if it hadn't have been there, I doubt we would have been scarred for life.
Posted: Feb 13, 2006 9:07 pm

But is ignorance really bliss?
Yes.

Anyone have any vicodan?
Posted: Feb 13, 2006 9:09 pm

As for my kids, don't worry they won't be losing their minds. When we lived in Little Rock and the city bulldozed the only Amusement Park, we just went across the river to Funland in North Little Rock. Let's see; the nearest Amusement Park (if Libertyland is not saved) is in St. Louis. Oh well!

ummmmm, isn't Little Rock closer to Memphis than St. Louis?
Posted: Feb 13, 2006 9:09 pm

That is weird Alisa cos I am sitting by my office phone waiting on the nurse practitioner to give the WORD!!!

Cross your fingers. I have a migraine.
Posted: Feb 13, 2006 9:10 pm

Let's see; the nearest Amusement Park (if Libertyland is not saved) is in St. Louis.

Dollywood!
Posted: Feb 13, 2006 9:11 pm

"Anyone have any vicodan?"

TRy tHe gLAsS oNioN! ME WUV yOu WrOnGtImE!(*&*%(%(&_*_(
Posted: Feb 13, 2006 9:12 pm

Six Flags is much closer than Dollywood and sometimes, a good trip out of Memphis does a kid good!!! Take the damn train up to St. Louis! Let them enjoy a first rate park! Go see the Clydesdales! Ride the Arch! Check out a Cardinal game...oh wait, your kids don't like sports.

Sorry, now I am getting acidic.
Posted: Feb 13, 2006 9:14 pm

HEE=HAWW!
Posted: Feb 13, 2006 9:15 pm

Sorry, now I am getting acidic.

Surely that's just the migraine talking, fiery. Fingers crossed...
Posted: Feb 13, 2006 9:20 pm

then no more children will ever get the chance to decide for himself or herself what they think of having an Amusement park in the center of town.

who is telling these kids that their opinion matters and should think for themselves

children should only speak when spoken to, and should not be invloved in decisions about the future of their city
Posted: Feb 13, 2006 9:23 pm

Others may go to Dollywood, or back to Arkansas, with my blessings. But I'd rather not.

Sorry about that migraine. Hope you find help soon.

And what's all this mess about the Glass Onion? Those were the good old days. Now it's the Celtic Crossing, for better or worse. I for one have wonderful memories of the Glass Onion. The food was fantastic and the bands were always so happy playing there. My husband supported us well with his first foray into restaurant owning. That was a good time, my friends: a dancing, toasting-champagne glasses, party-during-Hurricane Elvis good time, and if you missed it, my deepest sympathies.
Posted: Feb 13, 2006 9:26 pm

So, lets get this straight- You have no "plan".... you are throwing "Save Libertyland" shows yet not one red cent is going to Save Libertyland.... You refuse to give us info about these "CEO's".... you have no idea what it takes to legally run a non-profit grassroots community campaign (you need to check your legal resources, if I write off my donation to your "Save Liberyland" fund, I will be in violation of federal laws!)...You havent started by contacting the numberous (in the hundreds) organizations who would support a real cause.... I cant think of any reason to support you- even if I wanted to help save Libertyland.

You know what I think- you should head up the next Hell On Earth- maybe some of the bands will get paid this time!
Posted: Feb 13, 2006 9:28 pm

Poor Buzzz, you sound like you have a migraine as well.
Posted: Feb 13, 2006 9:29 pm

Where's Buddy Douglas when ya need him! ha-ha!

Congrats on 3 pages of absolute drivel about a 3rd rate rundown state fair built in a parking lot! WHOO-HOO!
Posted: Feb 13, 2006 9:32 pm

"A chance for us all to stand up for the little people. Teenagers and children have no rights; we cannot vote, we cannot be heard and we are being run over by the special interests and the corrupt local government who wants to sell the fairgrounds to their buddies who will make zillions on the deal while the children and teens of Memphis will have fewer jobs and will eventually join the workforce to help shoulder the additional tax burden that our evil leaders have created. Thanks a lot!"

These are the words of a teenage Save Libertyland! supporter, they are not "drivel" and say better than I can what is happening.
Posted: Feb 13, 2006 9:33 pm

I am starting my own grass roots org, i will be collecting money to fund wages for poor black teens to help me collect kindling.
Posted: Feb 13, 2006 9:34 pm

Others may go to Dollywood, or back to Arkansas, with my blessings. But I'd rather not.

Youre misrepresenting. The closest is not St. Louis. If Funland was good enough while you were in LR, why is it not good now? You would just rather not? Hrm..... I have no migrane......I am just becoming convinced (by your own mouth) that you Dee are full of that proverbial shit.
Posted: Feb 13, 2006 9:34 pm

Any 18 and over females who need a "job" can call me .

PROBLEM SOLVED!

HEE=HAWW!
Posted: Feb 13, 2006 9:44 pm

You guessed it, Buzzzzzzz. I'm just plumb full of it, and bored with this thread too!

But Arkansas is much more boring than Memphis. I don't plan on going back for quite awhile.

I like the folks I've met during this Save Libertyland! campaign way too much to join the naysayers, so have fun!
Posted: Feb 13, 2006 9:56 pm

Be sure to tell the kids to enter my lottery early Mrs. Dee, as I do have to send my interns out to step & fetch some Balthazar since they won't deliver to me anymore. If any former park employees need jobs, it's possible there could be a position opening up as an intern for me. However, it requires LONG hours and there is no pay. But there is the perk of possibly having an interaction with an academy award winning superstar (wink-wink).
Oh, and no piggies please!
Always glad to do my part!

Go see Spinning into Butter!
Posted: Feb 13, 2006 9:57 pm

Arkansas? More boring than Memphis? Well, I think you are misrepresenting there. I guess it all depends on what you perceive as "fun". I look back fondly on my junior high life in West Memphis (yes, West Memphis!) and spending summers on the river at Hardy for at least 18 years of my life (plus), Arkansas river life kicked any summer in Memphis' ASS.

I am starting a grassroots org to Save Arkansas from its defectors and expatriates!
Posted: Feb 13, 2006 9:57 pm

Where things stand right now is that the city and the Midsouth Fair, for their own undisclosed reasons, have chosen to say one thing to the media and then to do the opposite when the CEOs contacted them as they were asked.

The only causes worth fighting for are the lost ones.
Posted: Feb 13, 2006 9:59 pm

That's certainly a good cause and one worth investing a lifetime of effort in, Fierydrunk! Kudos to you and let me know how it turns out. Spring River is after all nothing like Central Arkansas, that's for sure! Although there are some good rivers down there that aren't too polluted yet.
Posted: Feb 13, 2006 10:02 pm

Well, I'd have to Save Arkansas from myself as I moved about 2000 miles away from it.
Posted: Feb 13, 2006 10:02 pm

Unless your a winner. Then you win like me! Get ready for a whole 30 minutes of Stevan Segal kids! Oh, and a pre-screening of the soon to be blockbuster hit Spinning into Butter! Better get that lottery in soon kiddies!
Posted: Feb 13, 2006 10:05 pm

Why are you angry with me Dee? You're the one who is half assed running your organization.

I should be the one who is mad. I want my money to go to saving Libertyland- what costs do the Zippin Pippin (or any of the other bands)have thats more important that saving libertyland? Youre the martyr here, so answer me that! Come to find out that I cannot donate to saving Libertyland because you havent done your homework! You know people get in trouble for raising funds under guises!
Page  Page 2 of 3:  « Previous  1  2  3  Next » 
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®