Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / Libertyland, a friendly debate...
Page  Page 1 of 3:  1  2  3  Next »
Posted: Jan 8, 2006 4:37 pm

I am certainly not anti-fun. As a kid, I went to Libertyland more than a few times. I do believe that the current effort in the community to save Libertyland is noble and and grass-roots organization works and should be done more often in this town.

However, I am not a proponent of keeping Libertyland where it is today, all or part of it. I would like to see some of those rides (including the Zippin Pippin) moved further east (Putt-Putt on Summer preferably).

Do they have to tear it down today? No.
I would like to see a conscise plan of what they will put in it's place before they remove a single rail from the Model-T car-rides.

What I would like to see is the whole area (sans the Liberty bowl and it's parking) developed into a state-of-the-art technology center for business. If you've noticed the crews working down Sam Cooper (not the DUI trash detail, the guys laying cable), Fiber Core bandwidth is moving into Midtown.
I would rather move a few thousand high paying tech jobs into the city and sacrifice the 700 teen jobs at Libertyland (some could be relocated to the new Putt-Putt facility).

The Mid-South Fair would certainly need to be considered and moved, but I don't think Libertyland is necessary for it's function (it survived for years before Libertyland opened).
Posted: Jan 8, 2006 4:56 pm

Very, very smart. Does Memphis have a lot of big business friendly tax breaks which would help facilitate this? Memphis needs to really continue to work hard on providing the kind of amenities the high-tech employees would expect if they were living here. Inexpensive housing would not be enough--more restaurants, shopping etc etc.

I had no idea there was a grassroots effort to save Libertyland.
Posted: Jan 8, 2006 5:05 pm

There is, and I applaud them. Details on the clip in the Harlan Live@9 thread.

But, move the money back into Memphis. Tech sector is only one possibility, but it's cleaner, higher paying, and could compete with Atlanta. Plus, the advantage of being closer to the Fed Ex hub.
Most folks I know in the tech field moved out east, because the jobs are out there. Cooper-Young business would benefit, and I would hope it would stoke housing/community development to the south of the fairgrounds.
Posted: Jan 8, 2006 5:22 pm

I agree with those things as far as I can see them now and not to pick a fight, but as a social worker who spent eons working with inner city kids in Memphis, they need much more financial stability than a summer job running the Spider can provide.

If Memphis (guvment and local folk) spent an active effort attracting businesses who could stabilize and juice up the local economy and then spread the wealth supporting the local schools, providing internship opportunities etc for these same kids so that a future with a REAL job was even something for them to consider...well, I think that is a much more supportive effort than trying to save Libertyland on behalf of them.
Posted: Jan 8, 2006 5:27 pm | Edited by: fierydrunk

Uh oh. Did I just step into a "Well fuck you and your don't even live here anymore self!" landmine?

If so, sorry cos it is really admirable that the Save Libertyland! peeps can get this organized this quickly. But I am from Memphis, my entire family is from Memphis and it is quite obvious that I care about it beyond belief. And I know Ryan and I will end up back there--I'd like to see it benefit.

Keep the discussion going!
Posted: Jan 8, 2006 5:31 pm

I will paraphrase Mr. Cartwright:
"If a Martian came to Earth, would he cease being a Martian?"

Again, this is only a friendly debate. I'm not opposed to hearing viewpoints, and I may even change my mind. I would really like to hear the benefits of keeping the park. I need more than "memories".
Posted: Jan 8, 2006 5:39 pm

Kristin -- the city does offer plenty of big biz tax breaks -- but typically, once the free ride ends, AR and MS lure the businesses their way...
Posted: Jan 8, 2006 5:50 pm

Anyone know why that is...do MS and AR offer more long-term breaks? As well as more segregation from the...shhhhh....blacks?
Posted: Jan 8, 2006 5:54 pm

If you are looking at it from the "fun" angle, Libertyland was barely fun anymore. We used to take the kids there from Youth Villages and it was so obvious how run down it was, even to them, and believe me, they didn't expect much.

Call me a cynic, but this whole thing sorta smacks of another eccentrically cute faux-cause. Like Lawler for Mayor and shit. Is that the case?
Posted: Jan 8, 2006 6:03 pm | Edited by: Jack Stands

No, I believe they are sincere, and genuinely want Libertyland to be viable and fun where it currently is. It's not that I don't want an amusement park, I just don't think it has to be where it is today. I think a park like that would do better out east where the money is. And in the fairgounds' place put in new, sustainable business.

Again, a tech sector is only my thoughts (we have an oversaturated tech-job market). We need a new outlet to utilize the talent we have.

But the biggest, current economic impact for the community I can think of is East Pkwy and Cooper-Young area residents losing their $5-10 dollar per car parking fees during the Mid-South Fair. I'd like to hear from Cooper-Young businesses. Do you have a huge spike during the Fair? What about the rest of the summer? If you do, is it because of Libertyland?
Posted: Jan 8, 2006 6:05 pm

Libertyland was barely fun anymore

I totally agree. And my memories as a kid there only remembers the rides. Not the locale.
Posted: Jan 8, 2006 6:10 pm | Edited by: fierydrunk

I lived at Philadelphia and Nelson in 96/97/98 and the fair was a mixed bag of about $50 a night for the nights of the fair and carnies busting into to various homes on a regular basis.

Libertyland didn't even register. The parking on our street didn't even increase. The Southern Heritage Classic and the Liberty Bowl were other good $50 parking nights. But, I wasn't waiting with baited breath for fair season every year.
Posted: Jan 8, 2006 6:36 pm

Anyone know why that is...do MS and AR offer more long-term breaks? As well as more segregation from the...shhhhh....blacks?

The blacks are all over the county now. Just look at the racial makeup of the county commission. Many of them don't want to live in the city either. Cordova High school is close to 50% black. Same with Germantown High.

It's an issue of class more than race this these days. People don't want to live in crime-ridden, dangerous neighborhoods, and all of those neighborhoods happen to be black.

Memphis had 5 murders in the first 7 days of 2006.
Posted: Jan 8, 2006 7:54 pm

So it is still an issue of race. You know my argument on this, Uptight! We ain't gonna agree. I understand the class issue but it ain't one or the other in Memphis,like you said it is both.

I bet you can find many a white, relatively long-term resident living in Germantown, Collierville or Cordova who will blame the "downfall" of the county on all the blacks moving in.
Posted: Jan 8, 2006 11:48 pm

First, "state of the art technology center"... what do you mean by that... a call center because all of those are now are in the process of going overseas. Technology center is government speak for we're going to build a big old one story building and then give away the farm in tax breaks to get corporations to fill it temporarily with minimum wage service sector jobs that will never ever be the number those companies promised initially or anywhere near it once nobody is paying attention any more. Ever heard of the MCI call center by the fairgrounds. FedEx is a technology center and the difference is the company is driving the demand now looking for a building with a vacancy sign. Baptist in the Medical Center was blown up to be replaced by a bio tech center or campus. There's just one problem with that. It's the second attempt at a bio tech center and I don't see anything that will make this attempt any different than the first one in the 1980s. Been to visit that bio-tech center ever? No, because it's not there. It's never there because the rule of "If you build it they will come," only works in goofy Kevin Costner movies not with technology centers, not bio tech centers, not even sports arenas. It sounds good to say that and get out the ceremonial shovels and hard hats and break ground. But it's just not good business.
Neither is a publicly subsidized amusement park that even some City Council members have nicknamed "Two Flags Over Orange Mound".
In the 1980s, J. O. Patterson Jr. suggested moving Libertyland to Mud Island. That seems unlikely now that the RDC has control of the park. But there is a place somewhere in this city for the treasures held within Libertyland. I say treasures because there has been a collection of rides at the Fairgrounds for probably 60-70 years. They just weren't called Libertyland until 1976. The carousel and the Zippin Pippin should be saved and can be saved but hear me -- They belong to Memphis.
Posted: Jan 9, 2006 12:08 am

Thank you Johnny, this is what I'm looking for. I want to understand "why" it's important to leave Libertyland where it is.

Again, Tech center is only an idea. And by Tech-center, I hardly mean call-center. Many companies may be outsourcing overseas, but Memphis has its share of them as well. I'm talking data processing, storage and exchange. Memphis has had a few of these. But as I said, this is only one idea, and I'm certainly not advocating "throw money" at anything. Including Libertyland.

I certainly believe that the rides can be saved and moved, but how about moving it out to where the money is? It's like some unspoken rule that Shelby Co. residents only go as far into the city as they have to. Sure a Grizzlies game. Sure a concert (not at the fairgrounds, though). Sure a Redbirds game. But I would submit that the residents of Bartlett, Cordova, heck, even Arlington, would rather go to the outskirts of Memphis than in it (a la Shelby Farms over Overton).
Posted: Jan 9, 2006 1:15 am

I can't believe the level of cynicism on the majority of these posts. you ppl have no concept, but thank god the folks at Save Libertyland! (go to DetourMemphis.com & see for yr self) have conducted dozens of interviews w/ppl connected to this vital issue, & the bottom line is: you want an economic black hole? then roll over for Looney Ricks & Kiss and let the bulldozers move in. The result? A documentary film about Memphis & the larger irony of "fighting for freedom" while losing Liberty(land) --that will Rock Our World. And have a damn good soundtrack.
Posted: Jan 9, 2006 1:20 am

It's never there because the rule of "If you build it they will come," only works in goofy Kevin Costner movies not with technology centers, not bio tech centers, not even sports arenas. It sounds good to say that and get out the ceremonial shovels and hard hats and break ground.

I know it is easy to be cynical given the history of Memphis, but I scoffed at Auto Zone Park and Fed Ex Arena...and well, look at them. Automatic successes (more or less), right?

I work for a place that was once just a dinky state medical school and attached teaching hospital...much like UT/Bowld/The Med. Oregon and Portland put tons of attention and $$$ into it. Now it is the state's largest employer and is a major health and science university and research center. A huge biomedical research building there just opened last month which will mean even more jobs. There is a big difference in being "Sidney Schlenker-ized" and playing with the big boys so that your city can survive and thrive.

Save the Pippen and the Carousel...put them at Overton Park.
Posted: Jan 9, 2006 1:32 am

Sorry to say, but the Pippin cannot be moved. Nor the carousel, at least without them falling off the National Historic Register. In fact, to move the Pippin would require so many millions it would take your breath away. these insights and many others have come our way since putting "save libertyland" out there. The city/county/state has never put one thin dime into promoting Libertyland, not even so much as a postcard. We asked them for a copy of their promotional dvd for Mike McCarthy's documentary, and they had nothing promotional. Pathetic. It has been run by a non-profit and we have a city councilman ready to cut a better lease on the condition of private FOR-profit mgmnt. So why the cynicism and defeatism on this site? I'd like to know, when we're talking about 700-plus inner-city teeen jobs.
Posted: Jan 9, 2006 1:55 am

Dee,
Whoa, whoa, whoa! I assure you I am being sincere. I just have a difference in opinion. I've already mentioned I have an open mind, and am looking for your insight. That's why I started the post in the first place.

As for this documentary, I hope it makes it to Sundance, or whatever. I don't really care about that. Close Libertyland while fighting for freedom, I get it. Irony. Neat.
But I am concerned about trying to better the city as a whole. The park is slated to be going away. If we can keep it and make it into something economically viable, let's do it, but show me how.
Also, I do not equate Liberty and American-ism with Libertyland. And saving it for historical purposes, if only to house the Zippin' Pippin and the Carousel (those are the only historical pices, correct?), well then it's a waste of property. I would love to have the two attractions moved elsewhere, and would fight for it.
If the city were to own it in any way, that means more taxes for me. News flash, it's getting more and more expensive to live in town as it is. I like to try to be selective on paying for what I don't use (I'm still not altogether happy about the trolley).

And as for the historical register, who cares if it's rebuilt somewhere else in town? Memphis was the Capital of Tennessee once. It's not now, but everybody knows it was. Same diff.
Posted: Jan 9, 2006 2:25 am

So why the cynicism and defeatism on this site? I'd like to know, when we're talking about 700-plus inner-city teeen jobs

See my second response above; the sort of jobs this place provides are pretty much go-nowheresville jobs. How many of them are given to teenagers--does it say that in the info you were provided?

I am not trying to shut down your idea of Saving Libertyland--in fact, I thought your energy was pretty fantastic to see on that Channel 3 spot. I just think it is somewhat short-sighted as something truly important to the history of Memphis--I remember opening day at Libertyland and it was kind of a joke to a bunch of second graders, which the Pippen and gorgeous carousel never were. Saving those two historic rides is definitely something I'd give time and money (in kind or the real deal) to, however.
Posted: Jan 9, 2006 2:26 am

Wow. This is great.
I have a few replies.
AutoZone and FedExForum are both useful examples that make my point about not building it until they come. The Redbirds were already here and played several seasons at Tim McCarver while the debate about and construction of AZ was completed. Same with the Grizzlies who played at The Pyramid... the same Pyramid that was built without the city having a franchise of any kind in hand. So, we built the Pyramid and by the time we got a franchise, it was considered outdated.
To the point about the folks in the suburbs. I think all of us who live in the city know or are related to someone who has made the choice to live there. There are about as many reasons as there are people who have made that decision. And there is no need to demonize them because the truth is Memphis has always been and continues to be the big city for the suburbs and the small towns beyond. I don't think we ever were the capital of Tennessee at least culturally. We have and still are however, the capital of the Mid-South.
When we got the Redbirds franchise and the site of the new ballpark was still open, it was assumed by some the franchise wouldn't make it unless the ball park was out east. The Jernigans put an end to that and declared it would be built downtown. And guess what, those folks in the suburbs are coming downtown because the ballpark is great.. because the franchise knows what it's doing in marketing and because the CCC discovered that $10-$20 parking lots had to be countered with lots and garages that charged something more reasonable.
I think something of a generation gap is emerging in how even Memphians regard Downtown. I see younger folks willing and even curious to see what it's about... to give it a chance. And I can't tell you how many younger Memphians are breathing new life into other areas of town like Cooper-Young and High Point Terrace.
And finally, at least for this post, Shelby Farms is in the city of Memphis. If someone chooses that over Overton Park that's fine. I don't think either one of them cost anything to use. But try building a Libertyland in Bartlett or Arlington and you'll be waiting the better part of a decade. The city and community leaders won't go for it... not in their backyard... and certainly not operated by their City Halls.
Collierville's "mall" had more than its share of hurdles. Imagine what would happen with an amusement park planned out there.
Not too far down the road there will be a reuse plan put up for consideration at the Fairgrounds. My guess is the Pippin and the Carousel stay but with something more modest surrounding them that combines with a more formal entrance to the grounds. The rest of it, I think becomes a huge recreation complex that includes moving the headquarters for the Park Commission from Avery, just a few blocks away. Maybe the Fair goes out East. But that's just a guess on my part.
Thoughts?
Posted: Jan 9, 2006 2:48 am

Mr. Moondog, Great Points! A few things...
I don't think we ever were the capital of Tennessee at least culturally
Memphis was, historically (for about 2 years, I think). But to me, Culturally, Memphis IS a capital in it's own right. We are SOOO far from what is stereotyped as "Tennessee" (I think we're Tennessee's version of New Orleans, myself), and I think it's an asset. Granted, State and Federal legislators make us a "red-headed step-child" seemingly all the time, but but overall, I pride myself from being from Tennessee, and even better, from Memphis.

But try building a Libertyland in Bartlett or Arlington
I do not propose this AT ALL! I want to keep it in Memphis. Best site off the top of my head is to integrate it into the Summer Avenue area where Putt-Putt is. Expand that area, and you have the "last of the Drive-Ins" on one side of the Wolf River, and awesome theme park on the other. The rides stay in Memphis, and it's relatively easily accessible from the I-40 corridor.
Posted: Jan 9, 2006 2:53 am

I think something of a generation gap is emerging in how even Memphians regard Downtown. I see younger folks willing and even curious to see what it's about... to give it a chance. And I can't tell you how many younger Memphians are breathing new life into other areas of town like Cooper-Young and High Point Terrace.

And you are right about this. This is why I'd like to see more industry move into Memphis (and why I propose tech - again, it's cleaner, and we are spilling over with talent).
Posted: Jan 9, 2006 2:56 am

So why the cynicism and defeatism on this site? I'd like to know, when we're talking about 700-plus inner-city teeen jobs
The link she gave only cited 300-500 jobs after searching through the blogs. DetourMemphis.com
Posted: Jan 9, 2006 3:11 am

Too much to agree with and continue to question when I am stuffing my face full of Alisa's deep fried chicken liver recipe!

Just wanna point out two things: Autozone Park is/was part of a MUCH larger movement that the Jernigan's (thankfully) bought into that was happening in mid-sized cities nationwide at the time. The old-timey feel, Downtown baseball stadiums have been pretty successful at rejuvenating Downtowns all over the US.

Memphis totally lucked into the timing of things with getting the Grizz when they did. Vancouver never supported them and the Sports Authority was right there at the right time with the cash and the promise of Fed Ex Arena...in a newly rejuvenated Downtown. I am still surprised and proud at how well it has gone over.

Anyway, more later. These livers gettin cold.
Posted: Jan 9, 2006 3:23 am

Alisa's deep fried chicken liver
Although I adore Alisa, she was off her rocker when she listed the ingredient "chicken liver". I think she just meant "chicken".

But, I digress...
Posted: Jan 9, 2006 3:25 am

And no doubt, Memphis is easily the cultural capital of Tennessee. In many, many ways. My best friend in high school was the daughter of a Nashville Chamber of Commerce hot shot. She would get worked up that we had the #1 on our license plates, while they had to settle on #2. It was hilarious b/c, in pure Memphis fashion, like we could have given a shit!

We kick all they asses.
Posted: Jan 9, 2006 6:45 am

I've never considered Libertyland a gem, much less a gem that the city needs to keep. The park is an eyesore that attracts crime to the area, and its no longer a family friendly area. With all the asphalt and chain link fencing, it feels more like an industrial park than an amusement park.
I really think the park is a barrier to economic redevlopment of the poorer neighborhoods south of the park. (Afterall, who wants to live next to it?)

As a whole, the park isn't aesthetically pleasing. It doesn't add to the beauty of the city, nor is it a cultural or artistic amenity for the city: its just old personal memories...memories that will remain even after Libertyland is gone.

The carousel should clearly be saved because of its uniqueness and craftsmanship. Although I don't think that everything that elvis touched is sacred, I don't have a problem keeping the zippin pippin either. That being said, I don't see why those two rides can't be kept and incorporated into the Memphis Athletic Center plan which seems like a wonderful use for the area.

Besides, a 29 year old park is not a historical treasure. It is younger than I am. It doesn't need historic presevation anymore than I do.
Posted: Jan 9, 2006 7:00 am

C'mon. It isn't that bad. It's just that it was built after Opryland opened in Nashville at a time when our city didn't have the resources to do it that big. So, they went with small. It was the best the city could do at a dismal time when everything and I mean everything we tried to do in the name of civic pride was tanking.
But we gave it a try.

Just a comment about Jack and Fiery's comments on Memphis as a cultural capital. It is indeed. In fact, I would argue that it's a cultural capital for the Southeast United States. But it's so unique from the rest of our very long and diverse state that we might as well be another planet. Just like Knoxville is a different planet than Nashville. I wasn't denying the very unique and strong culture of which Memphis is clearly the capital and its contributions to not just the nation but the world. Just saying it's very different from the rest of the state and even rural West Tennessee. Trying to locate the cultural capital of Tennessee is impossible, I think, because there isn't one dominant culture whose influence spans the whole state... that's because of geography, ancestry, remoteness etc.

Deep fried chicken liver?
Posted: Jan 9, 2006 7:11 am

So we can agree that some people are trying to save something that, at best, "isn't that bad." Anyone who has ever been to a good amusement park would agree that it is that bad. And anyone just driving by it would wonder why anyone would try to save it.

Everything I have seen in the new plan is extremely positive for mid-town & the city. Nothing in what Libertyland offers today comes close to being that positive.

There will be new jobs in the new MAC plan too--probably a lot better jobs than the below minimum wage, dead-end ones at Libertyland.

I happen to think Hemant is right on target. I am sure that no one will come forward to run Libertyland as it is not a viable business i.e. it does not have the customers to support its pathetic amusement park. I am also sure that, if the MAC plan is implemented, mid-town will be a MUCH better place to live.
Posted: Jan 9, 2006 7:16 am

Additionally, LRK are the folks who built Stax Museum, Fedex Forum, Autozone Park, new downtown school...hmmm, should I go on & on?...just some of the best new additions to this city in the last decade. Embarrassing, unattended Libertyland vs. LRK's plan for awesome park spaces & athletic fields? Not a tough decision.
Posted: Jan 9, 2006 7:22 am | Edited by: Jack Stands

Deep fried chicken liver?

I apologize, Johnny. This is a deep argument between fiery, another great poster (Alisa) and I, that has no place in this thread. Chicken Liver has no place anywhere.

Hemant and Sherman, before y'all weigh in, I started this thread to learn that there may be posibilities that I have not considered in saving Libertyland. That being said, I know nothing about future plans. I want to know what those are as well. What is this Memphis Athletic Complex? What are the other alternatives? I want links or specific reference, not "pay attention".
Posted: Jan 9, 2006 7:35 am

www.commercialappeal.com/mca/business/article/0,1426,MCA_440_4315729,0 0.htm

this has been in the paper for a couple of months...pay attention!
Posted: Jan 9, 2006 7:38 am

Thank you, Sherman, seriously.

I get the "Sundays" when available at the tiger-mart.
Posted: Jan 9, 2006 7:41 am

it's free on the internet & at the libury
Posted: Jan 9, 2006 7:43 am

This was on the DetourMemphis.com site and I read it earlier. It speaks nothing to specifics on the various plans.
Posted: Jan 9, 2006 7:45 am

Content, man. CONTENT!
Posted: Jan 9, 2006 7:50 am

Do a search on commercial appeal/memphisflyer/mbj/daily news...they've all covered it.
Posted: Jan 9, 2006 7:54 am

I will. Thank you Sherman. But, a description of your peception of what they say it would look like WOULD BE HELPFUL!

Night, man. Let's pick this up tomorrow.
Posted: Jan 9, 2006 9:12 am

Commercial Appeal's search engine is Retarded! I don't know why they can't seem to do it right. You get better hit by googling their site. I know that there was a good article on the Memphis Athletic Campus in the paper, but i can't find it.

Anyways, this article seems to describe the MAC plans very well.

The MAC plan includes a skatepark! A skatepark in midtown!
Posted: Jan 9, 2006 1:48 pm

How were those livers, fiery? (I'll go back to the fried things thread, and you can tell me.) Jack, I adore you too, but you're just wrong.

This is an interesting discussion, but one that I don't have much to say about. Memphis is incredibly famous for building things up, and then tearing them down. Obviously, that mentality isn't going to change anytime soon.
I do think it's a terrible idea to put a bunch of public athletic fields there, amidst several inner city neighborhoods. I think it's a terrible idea because the city won't maintain them. Y'all remember what happened last year when Willie wouldn't even mow the grass in Overton Park?
Posted: Jan 9, 2006 1:48 pm

sad, sad... how some people forget what it feels like to be a kid. kids love Libertyland. they don't always like to sit for hours and watch a ballgame. they like to run around. if the 700-plus number of jobs is not on DetourMemphis.com, my apologies; I got that number from the G.M. at Libertyland as well as confirmed by Robert Lipscomb, Memphis' new C.F.O. and printed out of a Memphis Planning Commission website.
Our website is done gratis by a volunteer, so it may not include everything we have looked at. I do know that according to a study done for the city by a Univ. of Memphis prof, 85% of the jobs at Libertyland go to first-time employees -- and we have talked to former employees of Libertyland who assured us it was a fun place to work. Not many would describe KFC as "fun."
The reason Libertyland looks shabby is, once again, that it was run by a non-profit that was denied a lease by our fair city. If you do not have the imagination to see the potential of Libertyland, I refer you to my opening sentence. As to economics -- we talked with one of dozens of private companies who come in from out-of-state to rent Libertyland for the day for employee picnics -- every year for 17 years Nucor Steel out of Blytheville has rented out the park. Last year the on-day total for expenditures at Libertyland, including the rental, catering and gift-cards given to employees was nearly $100,000. That's just one company. So to dismiss Libertyland in the face of repeat business like this is beyond myopic -- it is anti-child, anti-tourist and, yes, anti-Memphis.
Posted: Jan 9, 2006 1:51 pm

and p.s. -- several of the LRK plans left the Fairgrounds and Libertyland in place (the vice pres. of the Midsouth Fair says they DO NOT want to relocate as it would cost more than $30 mil and leave many inner-city families without a way to attend the Fair) so our group, Save Libertyland! supports the scenarios that keep the existing structures and simply re-develop around them -- skate park, recreational areas, etc. We simply do not think condos and small-scale retail are a "solution" to the problem of how to keep these jobs and keep a place for families to take their kids.
Posted: Jan 9, 2006 4:39 pm

fiery- girl I am going to get you talking bout UT and the Med. Both do great services to Memphis, and UT has been doing tons of revamping and expanding. Given the budgets these groups get, they do amazing things.

As far as Libertyland goes, I agree with Hemant, it is an eye sore. I remember having far more fun at the Pink Palace and going to see chicks games (and my family had season passes we went to every game) than at Libertyland. All I remember from being a kid is waiting in long lines for short rides, and waiting in lines at parks is so much more fun than seeing a ball game?

It is not like Libertyland is the only place to take your kids for a good time, http://www.cityofmemphis.org/framework.aspx?page=558, and maybe they will learn something too from going to a museum or the zoo vs. an amusement park. It is not anti-child (that place is dirty and ugly), anti-tourist (who comes to Memphis for Libertyland?), and certainly not anti-Memphis, we have a good rep for tearing things down.

I am not against keeping Libertyland, but it need tons of money dumped into it. They need to make the outside and inside look more pleasing, cleaner and safer.

I am against putting it in Overton Park. If anything, they need to use any extra land in the park for the zoo. Besides the noise factor tottaly ruining the park for the students, the park goers, the zoo animals, and the museum. Bad idea.
Posted: Jan 9, 2006 4:41 pm

dee, I am little confused on some things:

you mentioned a couple of times here and on the video that Libertyland was failing because it was denied a lease. What exactly does that mean? Were they being evicted?

also, if it were to be saved, how would it avoid losing money and closing down again?

how much would it cost the city and the taxpayers to keep it open?
Posted: Jan 9, 2006 4:56 pm

fiery- girl I am going to get you talking bout UT and the Med. Both do great services to Memphis, and UT has been doing tons of revamping and expanding. Given the budgets these groups get, they do amazing things.

Aw now, I did my field study at the Med in Firefighters Burn Center for a year and it was AWESOME. My training there was likely the #2 reason I have this job here. I *love* it there--my point was they could continue to put more and more attention and funding into that complex which will continue to pay off BIGTIME for not only Memphis, but Tennessee. I encourage more development in that sector and that was why I brought it up.
Posted: Jan 9, 2006 5:06 pm

Let's get real. Libertyland is not a jobs program and anyone who is arguing that those menial jobs are worth saving is drawing at small straws. It's a business that has been subsidized by the fair for decades. The choice is what would be better for a whole city: a beautiful park with tons of sports fields for "the kids" (I love how this group is arguing that the kids would somehow only benefit if Libertyland is saved--this whole new concept is incredible for kids and much better for them overall than what is currently in that space) to run around on or a dilapidated amusement park that apparantly is used by one corporation one day a year as well as a few other people that cannot support its money-losing infrastructure. I have never forgotten what it's like to be a kid. I went to Libertyland as a kid and wished it didn't suck so bad. I would love to have anything 1/2 as nice as the world class Mike Rose soccer center in mid-town. Condos & retail would be a lot better for Memphis than what Libertyland currently doesn't offer nor hasn't offered for its whole existence.
Posted: Jan 9, 2006 5:10 pm | Edited by: hemant

There's just one problem with that. It's the second attempt at a bio tech center and I don't see anything that will make this attempt any different than the first one in the 1980s. Been to visit that bio-tech center ever? No, because it's not there. It's never there because the rule of "If you build it they will come," only works in goofy Kevin Costner movies not with technology centers, not bio tech centers, not even sports arenas.

I have to strongly disagree with you here, Moondog. Its not here visibly because its in the process of being built. Baptist was only torn down a few months ago. This isn't a build it and they will come, its more of a "build it to capitalize on the demand" idea. There already is a a very strong biotech sector in town. Start up companies were renting out labs at UT buildings (I interviewed for a job with one). A biotech research park is in demand now.

I do agree with you that younger people are moving back into the city in droves. Prices of smaller homes have skyrocketed (especially in high point area and sea isle area). Almost all of my fellow classmates were looking to buy homes in Memphis after graduating...not in the suburbs. And its not just young people. I was talking to a real estate developer who was surprised that demand for very expensive new homes in memphis is outpacing the supply (hence all the giant homes being built in planned developments along park and poplar and off central).
Posted: Jan 9, 2006 5:14 pm

dee,
I am still waiting for your proposal of "what needs to happen" from your point of view. As sherman has pointed out, I must be dense, please let me know what your movement's plan is because I am still unclear as to how to save it. For the last time, I WANT TO UNDERSTAND! This thread is a place to launch ideas and share the info that's out there.

If it can be saved, let me know how. If funds can be raised, let me know how. If I'll be taxed on it, let me know how much.

However, don't just post that I don't know what childhood was, or tell me what my kid likes, or tell me that I'm anti-Memphis. That technique is sooo Karl Rove, and I'm tired of being labled for having a difference of opinion. It does not endear or persuade me to your cause.
Posted: Jan 9, 2006 5:37 pm

Ditto on Sherman's last post in regards to wishing Libertyland didn't suck so bad. I sit on this board and remember being a kid in Memphis all day long. I also remember being an adult living there and working with kids--these same "inner-city" kids who may have taken jobs at Libertyland. They deserve more.
Posted: Jan 9, 2006 5:46 pm

dee,
I am still waiting for your proposal of "what needs to happen" from your point of view. As sherman has pointed out, I must be dense, please let me know what your movement's plan is because I am still unclear as to how to save it. For the last time, I WANT TO UNDERSTAND! This thread is a place to launch ideas and share the info that's out there.

If it can be saved, let me know how. If funds can be raised, let me know how. If I'll be taxed on it, let me know how much.

However, don't just post that I don't know what childhood was, or tell me what my kid likes, or tell me that I'm anti-Memphis. That technique is sooo Karl Rove, and I'm tired of being labled for having a difference of opinion. It does not endear or persuade me to your cause.

This is pretty much why I didn't sign the petition.
Posted: Jan 9, 2006 6:16 pm

for those who want to understand, please excuse any lack of clarity on my part. i will try to lay out why the dozens of folks who've contacted Mike McCarthy and myself, Amy LeVere, Misty and Kristy and all the other great folks we have on board all seem to agree on WHY it needs to and must be saved:
1) Sports are great, but what of the kids who aren't that athletic? Save Libertyland is not about denying children the opportunity to experience sports; it is about not tearing down the only amusement park for hundreds of miles in all directions. The Looney Ricks & Kiss proposals presented numerous options that developed these recreational spaces in addition to the family-oriented places that exist: Fairgrounds and Libertyland. There is plenty of room to put beautiful recreational areas in w/out demolishing the amusement park, as the LRK proposals demonstrate. It was the city's "public committee" that chose the most destructive plan. (And at least a few LRK employees told members of our group that they do not want Libertyland and the Fair to be banished from the area)
2) the park needs a face-lift, everyone agrees on that. It is in the condition it is in because, according to the past president of the Mid-South Fair and current legal counsel for the non-profit, when they approached the city with plans to upgrade the park, purchase new rides and extend the lease, they were turned down flat. There has been only a year-to-year lease for the Fair and Libertyland since 1996. The Children's Museum has a 49-year lease as does the Liberty Bowl (which incidentally is undergoing $10 million worth of renovations). Our group considers that some significant money and exactly $10 mil more than the city has ever put into Libertyland.
3) The wonderful places for families to go to in Memphis are all exciting and educational. However, there is only one Libertyland and we have received input from hundreds of children (so far) which contradicts the adults' statements on this site that use words such as "sucks" "pathetic" "eyesore" etc.
4) No offense, but instead of insulting a kiddie park, why not try to see with the eyes of a child? the children we know who actually CRIED when told Libertyland was closing would take offense at the insults to Libertyland printed on this site, so I am terribly sorry if that offends anyone in any way, but I am only reporting what I have been told by the ones who stand to lose the most if it is bulldozed.
5) as per the "jobs program" rant: We all understand that Libertyland is not a jobs program. However, with the elimination of the city's own summer jobs program (it will not be re-funded beginning this spring) another 1,600 jobs for inner-city teens are gone. Add these to the Libertyland job losses and you have about 2,000 less jobs in play for inner-city teens. So at this point, we have a recipe for one long, hot summer. The Save Libertyland! folks think kids' jobs are well worth fighting for and we welcome your support in our continuing effort!
Posted: Jan 9, 2006 6:27 pm

p.s. As to costing citizens money by staying open, that is precisely why we are searching for a private, for-profit mgmt. company to take over the park from the current non-profit (MidSouth Fair). There are no city, county, or state funds going to subsidize Libertyland. We simply think that someone with vision may actually want to turn the park around and make it great, and are asking for the chance to locate such a company before the lease is terminated by Mayor H.
For an example of a similar situation in which a park was threatened with being replaced by condos, check out the Cypress Gardens (Fla.) story, in which Kent Buescher came in and made the place profitable in only one year.
Posted: Jan 9, 2006 6:28 pm

For the kids who "aren't athletic," feed 'em full of corn dogs, corn syrup, & cotton candy and let 'em ride the himalaya. There is no such thing as children who don't need exercise. This

I'm all for saving great things, but Libertyland is far from great--from a child's view (mine) and from an adult's view (also mine). The whole complex needs overhauling and if Libertyland cannot make it on its own, too bad so sad. It will be missed by a few and many others will love the improvement.

There have been no rants on this board--just cogent thoughts from people who live here and are not myopic--people who have watched Libertyland go further down the neighborhood tubes for over 20 years and would love to see ANY improvement there. You are certainly welcome to try to save something in town. I just wish it were something more worthy of saving. Where has your group been for the last 20 years?
Posted: Jan 9, 2006 6:31 pm

p.p.s. As to the companies who rent the whole park every year, we only talked to one such company's rep.; however, according to the sponsorship director, Joey Valdez, there are dozens of companies every year who rent the park ($40,000 per day) and that does not include thousands for catering, thousands more spent in and around Midtown by the folks coming in. One study we looked at from the city planning commission's website calculated $20 million generated every year by Libertyland. (Karl Rove signing off! sorry so wordy, trying to be precise. Feel free to call me some more names!)
Posted: Jan 9, 2006 6:31 pm

Cypress Gardens (Fla.)

I don't want to fight, but Cypress Gardens is actually LOVELY and educational and fit in with a neighborhood. It is more akin to Dixon Gallery and Gardens than Libertyland.
Posted: Jan 9, 2006 6:38 pm

Bottom line is...regardless of what I think...if you can find someone to put millions into "saving" (i.e. starting from scratch) Libertyland, go for it. You've got our number. We'll be the first in line--after the kids, of course--when it re-opens.
Posted: Jan 9, 2006 6:42 pm

this is for Sherman: you said "if Libertyland cannot make it on its own, too bad" -- Libertyland was never given the chance to make it because it has been run by a NON-profit and not promoted at all by this city. I guess the simplest way to put the situation is this: Demolishing Libertyland would be just like stealing candy from a baby. Our group, Save Libertyland! intends to make it as hard as we can for the city of Memphis to do exactly that. Memphis has behaved like a slumlord toward the MidSouth Fair and Libertyland and should not be handed the park on a silver platter so that condos and small-scale retail can be put there by a few wealthy real estate developers. If you disagree, why advocate taking something away from those who care deeply? We are certainly not trying to take anything away from anyone. Rather, we are advocating for the disenfanchised. That is our fundamental difference here.
Posted: Jan 9, 2006 6:42 pm | Edited by: fierydrunk

Ooops, I guess Cypress Gardens has more than just lovely gardens, monkeys and parrots but rides too. Anyway, kind of a different story that a fence-encircled ashphalt lot.

But if Memphis could locate a private, non-profit to do a similar thing for Memphis kids, go for it. I'd think it would be better in a woodsier, grassier part of town though...like it likely should have been in the first place.
Posted: Jan 9, 2006 6:47 pm

When/if we get our miracle, you are all invited to the party!
Posted: Jan 9, 2006 6:51 pm

Or wait, private FOR-profit? I think I need lunch--I am getting confused.
Posted: Jan 9, 2006 7:03 pm

Buy it and run it for-profit (or non-profit, I don't care). Whoever runs it needs to fix it up to go with the soon to be beautiful new park & athletic complex adjacent to it.
Posted: Jan 9, 2006 7:06 pm

Who is paying for the MAC? Is it finalized? It sounds fantastic...wow. Is there Grizz involvement? The Blazers have their own Boys and Girls Club here that is easily the nicest one in town.
Posted: Jan 9, 2006 7:06 pm

If kids are crying over the loss of libertyland, they need to get out more.
Posted: Jan 9, 2006 7:08 pm

HEE-HAW!

Ray Kroc's wife's foundation has given a shit-pot of money--$20-40 mill. for something over there.
Posted: Jan 9, 2006 7:12 pm

Ray Kroc's wife's foundation has given a shit-pot of money--$20-40 mill. for something over there.

So that foundation is trying to pay back communities for getting their kids to be unhealthy in the first place? GOOD FOR THEM!!!!!
Posted: Jan 9, 2006 7:13 pm

We should also try to start the Phillip Morris jogging facility.
Posted: Jan 9, 2006 7:16 pm

Hee-Haw! Free pack of cigs at every lap.
Posted: Jan 9, 2006 7:16 pm

I'd run a mile for a camel...
Posted: Jan 9, 2006 7:17 pm

does it come with free oxygen? I heard that stuff gives you a high.
Posted: Jan 9, 2006 7:17 pm

You might need a rickshaw!
Posted: Jan 9, 2006 7:19 pm

Three of the little girls who cried over the closure of Libertyland can be seen on this board's "Harlan Does Channel 3" thread, where the link to the video can be downloaded. They gave eloquent interviews to the Live at 9 hosts. View the link and judge for yourself whether these children need "to get out more." One little girl has collected more than 300 signatures on her own petition, so it appears she "gets out" quite a bit.

Or perhaps Libertyland is of vital importance to her (and others like her.)
Posted: Jan 9, 2006 7:19 pm

I'm high on life.
Posted: Jan 9, 2006 7:22 pm

My kid didn't cry at all.

I applaud the girl with the signatures. Community activisim should be encouraged at an early age.
Posted: Jan 9, 2006 7:22 pm

Fixing mid-town is important to me. (I am also one of the dis-enfranchised you speak of). This MAC group came along with one of the best, most progressive ideas for mid-town I have ever seen. Your group's vision, on the other hand, is a johnny come lately, stop progress with no vision at all idea. We agree to disagree.

Good luck.
Posted: Jan 9, 2006 7:23 pm

don't get upset, i was just kidding, i like some kids, really

there is nothing vital about LL, sorry.

has anyone here ever been to dogpatch? it is awesome one of the "rides" is fishin in a fountain with your shoes off.
Posted: Jan 9, 2006 7:25 pm

Not to get personal, either, as I have tried to keep this ridiculous discussion clinical, but that protest on channel 3 was straight outta Spinal Tap. Thanks for the good times! Harlan for Sheriff of Dogpatch!!!!
Posted: Jan 9, 2006 7:26 pm

Well, I'm still unconvinced, but thank you dee, sincerely. I always like to hear the diferent sides. Good luck, and if it seems that the Pippin and the carousel are being torn down and not kept in Memphis (just not at Libertyland), I'll be first in line to fight along side.
Posted: Jan 9, 2006 7:30 pm

this place should have been saved, totally better than libertyland

http://home.alltel.net/phillipc1/past.html

check out the girls dressed up in daisy dukes!
Posted: Jan 9, 2006 7:30 pm

Oh my GOD. I am in love with MAC. I just read that link that Hemant posted awhile back. The city schools have needed decent athletic facilities--esp. for football--for so damn long. Putting something like this smack in the middle of MEMPHIS proper says a lot more for the city and the support of its children than Libertyland ever did and will. It is honestly one of the most progressive ideas I have ever seen come out of Memphis PERIOD.

The community space could be used by the "non-athletic" kids; this is more than just a bunch of jock stuff...and they might find a sport they never knew they would be good at in such an all-inclusive environment. My brother is a child piano prodigy who also runs marathons and hoops it up--it isn't one or the other.

Sorry, but that is tha truth, ruth.
Posted: Jan 9, 2006 7:31 pm

Holy Crap, I forgot about that place!
Posted: Jan 9, 2006 7:32 pm

Looks like a rich person's Lakeland, Libertyland's competition in 1975.
Posted: Jan 9, 2006 7:33 pm

Brandi Tate had the Schmoo from Dogpatch. Ask Joe "Danger" Machamer about going into the abandoned Dogpatch late at night.
Posted: Jan 9, 2006 7:37 pm

At the risk of further vilification, I must add that yes, I went to Dogpatch as a child, and yes, I LOVED IT!

Know sump'n else? I LOVED Spinal Tap too! Seen it 5 times, still laugh.

In fact, the only thing ridiculous about this discussion is the way grown men won't stick up for something the kiddies really dig! Is it just not "cool" enough for you guys to support Libertyland? Are ya maybe just a wee tad bit jealous of how Harlan gets the girls' pulses racing, even in clown makeup? Awww, that is sooo cute. Some of y'all just need a laugh.
Posted: Jan 9, 2006 7:38 pm

Um, there are a coupla females on here. Pretty ones too. With foxy boyfriends and husbands.
Posted: Jan 9, 2006 7:40 pm

p.s. I spoke with the MAC rep, Rick Brenneman, and they are not the ones seeking to demolish Libertyland. They can do their thing adjacent to the park. It's more the city/county's lack of a reasonable lease for the area that is endangering Libertyland. In other words, We Want It ALL cuz We're Worth It!
Posted: Jan 9, 2006 7:43 pm

Boyfriends AND husbands? How do you squeeze in time to post? -- jus kiddn.
Posted: Jan 9, 2006 7:44 pm

I am really impressed with the Save Libertyland campaign...I am amazed by the letters to the editor and media coverage that you guys have gotten. You guys are doing a great job, although I also wish it were for a cause I could stand behind (like a museum or aquarium in the pyramid)
Posted: Jan 9, 2006 7:46 pm

I am also amazed--for different reasons though.
Posted: Jan 9, 2006 7:46 pm

the way grown men won't stick up for something the kiddies really dig!
I'll have you know I worked very hard during the mid-nineties to "save" Chuccalissa. Talk about a hard place to get support for...
Posted: Jan 9, 2006 7:47 pm

Ditto--I am incredibly impressed with you, Dee (at least from what I saw on the TV and what I read in that link above). But yeah, Libertyland...can't get behind it.
Posted: Jan 9, 2006 7:48 pm

aquarium in the pyramid
I'm with you there, hemant. But it must have a Skeeball section.
Posted: Jan 9, 2006 7:48 pm

Amy LeVere had a cool idea back when she was bartending for us at the Onion: slap solar panels all over the Pyramid! Then Sharp Microwave put in a solar panel production facility at their plant here, sooo.... guess what: Santa Monica has a solar-powered ferris wheel. Wouldn't some Memphis-made solar-powered rides give ol' Libertyland a boost!? Anything is possible!
Posted: Jan 9, 2006 7:53 pm

i would hate to be upside down on the revolution when a cloud came by
Posted: Jan 9, 2006 7:53 pm

Kudos to Jack! Wish I could have been here then, I would have helped! During the mid-90s I was stuck in Little Rock, Arkansas and watched as the city tore down the only children's amusement park (it was tiny compared to Libertyland but hey it was all we had) Then the city started closing down parks and selling the land, clear-cutting and selling the trees to Int'l Paper and Georgia Pacific and putting the money into the city's general fund. Could the same thing be starting up here in Memphis? Sure hope not, because LR is no place to raise a kid these days. It's culturally strait-jacketed. (Oddly enough, the LR RiverMarket was featured prominently in Looney Ricks & Kiss's projection for the Fairgrounds/Libertyland area.)
Posted: Jan 9, 2006 7:54 pm

Pssst...no kids.
Posted: Jan 9, 2006 7:56 pm

I am foxy. I tell myself everyday.
Posted: Jan 9, 2006 8:00 pm

Pssst...no kids.

HAhahahahahah!
you need to move back to memphis so we can drink together
Posted: Jan 9, 2006 8:01 pm

lute! you're not supposed to laugh at that
Posted: Jan 9, 2006 8:04 pm

Uh-oh--trouble in paradise? Or am I just never funny?

I am about 90% Ryan and I will be back there within 2 years. I just need to continue to see more of this progressiveness and less "Let's keep Memphis like a fucking cartoon of itself". I know y'all are wit me.
Posted: Jan 9, 2006 8:10 pm

hey investment opportunity dogpatch, for sale 1 mil, whos in, Jack?

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/tips/getAttraction.php3?tip_AttractionN o==46

oh well, I don't have a husband, but it was funny anyway
Posted: Jan 9, 2006 8:14 pm

I put you in the boyfriend category, but still foxy.

I guess I felt a need to defend the men against that silly Harlan BS--PUHLEEZE. I like Harlan but my husband likes him more. HIS MUSIC.
Posted: Jan 9, 2006 8:17 pm

He's no Kmart!
Posted: Jan 9, 2006 8:17 pm

I would love to know how much it would cost to "promote" Libertyland correctly. I would think that the failing education system would be where I would want to see that money go. As well as bringing MORE jobs to Memphis so people can pay thier bills. There are alot of really serious issues that plague Memphis as well as our country right now- Libertyland takes about 1000th place to the death toll in Iraq, the poverty in America that is the real cause of turmoil and death in Hurricane Katrina, education, the free trade agreement that takes the jobs out of America, the fact that most Americans cant afford health care..... man you take your pick. Get behind something that will improve the lives of people, Libertyland, well I dont see what it really means in the grand scheme of making Memphis and our country a better place. Its like saying that 700+ or - jobs for Memphis teens are more important that the lives of our soldiers who are dying for NOTHING. But Im sure they will be real happy to go visit Libertyland when and if they return.

But on the real- the documentary will be GREAT- and I know it cant happen without all the media and grassroots hub bub.
Posted: Jan 9, 2006 8:21 pm

come on buzzzzzz, how else are we going to get all of these crying kids to shut up.

I have an idea to help perk up libertyland, two actually, beer and vomit bags.
Posted: Jan 9, 2006 8:23 pm

come on buzzzzzz, how else are we going to get all of these crying kids to shut up.

AHHHHHHAAAAAA!
NOW, she's talking! I am on the next plane home (we are like a secret club, do you know that?????). Get the drinks ready.
Posted: Jan 9, 2006 8:26 pm

Uh-oh--trouble in paradise? Or am I just never funny?

Actually I laughed too!

But on the real- the documentary will be GREAT- and I know it cant happen without all the media and grassroots hub bub.

I agree. Thats the only reason I decided to not to edit out the Save Liberyland portion of the Harlan performance
Posted: Jan 9, 2006 8:27 pm

Only slightly off topic:

Love kids (always gotta preface with that or I'll get murdered by someone in my sleep), but if I had a damn dollar for every time some mother of some age cornered me unprovoked at a gathering of some kind, peppering me with questions about whether or not I was going to have kids, why not, well, you can always adopt blah blah blah...I'd be so damn rich. Being an auntie is F-U-N. Plus we have lots of pets.
Posted: Jan 9, 2006 8:31 pm

Down with D.I.N.Ks

There's a Simpsons episode out there somewhere about that....
Posted: Jan 9, 2006 8:36 pm

Only someone with kids knows what a D.I.N.K. is!

Don't get me wrong, JACK STANDS, love me some kiddies (particularly when they aren't screaming), I just don't want any and me and my husband will spend our double-income anyway we choose (no haters).
Posted: Jan 9, 2006 8:45 pm

No hatin' here, fiery. Besides, you'd probably make 'em eat chicken liver...

HAAAARRRRR!!!!
Posted: Jan 9, 2006 8:49 pm

Totally. They don't want this old liver-eatin' hussy for a mom! Trust me, no one wants me to have kids. They'd never live past the toddler stage. JUST KIDDING! (?)
Posted: Jan 9, 2006 8:51 pm

You and Ryan get your butts down here. I need a babysitter.
Posted: Jan 9, 2006 8:52 pm

And bring Dark Skies with you.
Posted: Jan 9, 2006 8:54 pm

Are they older than 4? That is my cut-off. That is when I become the coolest person ever and we all get along fine--for a few hours at a stretch. Any younger, it is a crap shoot...most kids love me and others look like they see a devil in me--seriously!
Posted: Jan 9, 2006 8:54 pm

I also need a mushroom omlette, some sausage links, and my wife will have some crazy lamp thing for the front room.
Posted: Jan 9, 2006 8:55 pm

The boy is almost six, full of sugar and questions. It never ends.
Posted: Jan 9, 2006 8:58 pm

Six is perfect. One omelette coming right up, cool vintage sconces on the side.
Posted: Jan 9, 2006 9:01 pm

I used to like kids a bit older, but now that friends have youngins' and such, I feel more comfortable around them. And Anna june/ pheobe/ and sara are all so cute.

The boy is almost six, full of sugar and questions. It never ends.

Does he have your hair?
Posted: Jan 9, 2006 9:04 pm

Fiery, just ignore all the busybodies and remember that misery loves company. That's why they push you so hard about having some young uns.
I have three, and would NEVER ask anyone why they don't have kids. I know.
(I love MY kids. They love chicken livers.)
Posted: Jan 9, 2006 9:04 pm

Does he have your hair?
Blonde like his momma.
Posted: Jan 9, 2006 9:05 pm

I have three, and would NEVER ask anyone why they don't have kids. I know.

awesome
Posted: Jan 9, 2006 9:14 pm

some news:
the Save Libertyland! bus is pulling into the studios of Q-107.5 fm on Monday morning, Jan. 16 (MLK Jr. Day when the kids are out of school) and doing some interviews and introducing Miss Audra Brown, 14-year-old prodigy singer/guitarist/songwriter (her website is www.audrabrown.com) so check it out! Carson and Kennedy in the morning around 7 a.m. (the deejays want to help save Libertyland too.)
hooray!
Posted: Jan 9, 2006 9:14 pm

Posted: Jan 9, 2006 9:17 pm

Posted: Jan 9, 2006 9:20 pm

Posted: Jan 9, 2006 9:21 pm

awww, is that your boy? he is adorable.
Posted: Jan 9, 2006 9:21 pm

back in the day. He's waaaay more punk now...
Posted: Jan 9, 2006 9:25 pm

Precious, Jack.
Posted: Jan 9, 2006 9:26 pm

lute, who's the fist pumpin' fella? He needs a guitar....
Posted: Jan 9, 2006 9:30 pm

That is robbie grants eldest kid. His baby is the most beautiful little girl in the world.
Posted: Jan 9, 2006 9:31 pm

i hope he dosen't mind me gloating about how awesome his kids are
Posted: Jan 9, 2006 9:32 pm

Well, at least I know he'll have access to guitars...
Posted: Jan 10, 2006 12:30 am | Edited by: hollis brown

I have three, and would NEVER ask anyone why they don't have kids. I know

Alisa, thanks (seriously).

This is fiery, by the way.
Posted: Jan 10, 2006 1:24 am

:)
Posted: Jan 10, 2006 2:32 am | Edited by: Mark Rochambeaux

Instead of roller coasters and bumper cars, how about a bunch of nooses and gallows where kids can indulge this new erotic/psychotropic choking fad?

And Buzzzzzz, we can still sweat the small stuff and have plenty of energy to protest Adolf W. Chimpiburton and his levee-demolishing, jobs-destroying, Arab-slaughtering cabal of wily Jews.
Posted: Jan 12, 2006 6:06 am

What are you talking about? Are ya'll really a bunch of sick shits trying to get on channel #?
Posted: Jan 25, 2006 2:36 pm

Nice to know that so many people can debate a topic with respect for each other. Most of these posts have a ring of community spirst that has been missing from Memphis from a very long time.

The total amount of money for the MAC would be in the neighborhood of $100mm. that would include money to endow the perations for a very long time. There would be two universities participating, Memphis City Schools, about 10 total partners. All working to fight child obesity and promote family values. All this i have read in the paper. It sounds like a win-win for government, business and citizens.

As for Libertyland? The city and county spent huge amounts of money initally on the property and all the "non-profit" (see legalized tax evasion) was charged with was to operate the entity. After having boom years the board and management squandered over $40mm in reserves. Now they are nearly broke and choose to close the park. A business decision based on the fact that they could not keep up. A new modern park would take over 300 acres and there just isn't that much space over there. That's why there won't be any other private company taking charge of this facility. The board and management have old Memphs roots and could have made major changes back when there was a chance.

The city has contributed to Libertyland in allowing this highly valuable piece of property to be occupied by libertyland for a very long time. missing out on a large windfall from future development. Opportunity costs are very high in today's market.

Love all your posts. Keep the fires burning on all sides. Debate keeps our society moving forward.
Posted: Jan 25, 2006 5:28 pm

But there still IS a chance... A chance for Libertyland to prosper with For-profit, professional management. In fact, just yesterday, during the press conference for Save Libertyland!, we were contacted by the CEO of Theme Parks LLC. He wants to travel to Memphis and meet with our group and see Libertyland. It's truly ironic how so many from outside of Memphis can see the potential in the park, while so many "insiders" are blind to Libertyland's charms. Seems like, acc. to what 120nabus writes above, that outside management would be just the un-corrupted influence we need. A re-vamped Libertyland, surrounded by re-developed areas courtesy of MAC and the KROC foundation, will be a jewel in the center of Memphis.
If the "board and management squandered over $40 million in reserves," then where the heck did the money go? Obviously it did NOT get re-invested in Libertyland. So why roll over and let the entities who've squandered millions have their way with selling off a park that could be turned into a money-maker by an outside company with vision AND a track record? There's the REAL win-win situation. The city has yet to contribute to Libertyland. The city has behaved like a slumlord toward Libertyland re the lease denials and does not deserve to have the park handed over on a silver platter so that condo's and Starbucks can be built on what was formerly a children's paradise (Even Pete Aviotti conceded that this was the model for development for that area.) For more info, go to www.detourmemphis.com
Posted: Feb 5, 2006 1:39 am

one fo the biggest reason libert land closed is because of the bass pro pyramid/indoor theme park. the indoor park will be the best amusement park memphis has had with up to 15 thrill rides and a waterpark libertyland could never match this so sorry to those who want it to stay open. but libertyland sucked!! Hey why dont we talk about bringing a prime outlet mall to downtown memphis?. its what we need
Posted: Feb 7, 2006 7:16 pm

A "prime outlet mall"? I'm not against malls, or Bass Pros, or anything you mentioned, Mr. Epps. You have no reason to worry about a campaign from Save Libertyland! to take something away from anybody. However, I am FOR keeping jobs -- along with preventing the largest tourist destination in Midtown from being bulldozed to make way for condos and Starbucks. This is the difference in being for something and against something. I am FOR keeping Libertyland and giving it the first chance it will have ever had to prosper. The history of Libertyland is the history of inept and possibly corrupt management. This will all come out.

We met w/the Theme Park CEO who came in from out-of-state to discuss the controversy. Impressive track record taking 11 bankrupt and/or closed theme parks and doing "turnarounds," taking them to profitability and selling or operating them successfully. His current park employs 1,000 young people every season. That reason alone is enough to keep Save Libertyland! committed to fighting for our park: JOBS. Three more mechanics at Libertyland were fired just last week. Pink slips and 2 weeks pay, and they had 29, 25, and 10 years working for the park. I think their jobs are important and will continue to fight for them.

Libertyland did not suck. The general manager of Libertyland has sucked, tho, for many years -- and you'll be hearing about that soon. It ain't a pretty story either.
Posted: Feb 8, 2006 1:46 am

All about saving the Pippin and the Carousel, Brad. If a Private investor comes in and makes it happen without me as a taxpayer having to foot any part of the deal, I'm all for it. Otherwise, move the two rides elsewhere in the city, and mow the rest of it down, and make something productive of the space that will lead to better development and money feeding into the surrounding neighborhoods.
Posted: Feb 8, 2006 2:18 am

Like....OH MY FREAKIN GOD! HELLO!....
Can somebody get a violin over here? We are in desperate need of some sappy soundtrack music playing in the background while scrolling down the sob stories about a 3rd rate state fair located in a parking lot (from what my intern's research has showed me), so get over it people!!!
Or hows about this....I'm an entrapenural type o gal.... I will save your sad decrepit excuse for a theme park! On one condition...It has to be renamed....
SARAH JESSICA PARKER PLAYLAND! Instead of the Zippin Pippin,(whatever the fuck that is?) I shall rename it, the The Sex In The City Thrusty Zipper! Of course I will have it painted & reconstructed to look like you are riding in a big zipper! GENIOUS!
Instead of this treasured broken down carosel, I will give it a much needed makeover, and call it The Sex In The City Karma Sutra Ride! You can only imagine what kind of renovation that's gonna look like!
Apple Martini's will replace all beverages. Salad's & sushi will replace fattining and morally irresponsible hot dawgs on a stick or whatever you call it. And of course there will be a special show free with the price of admission at the end of the evening. A special musical extravaganza emmulating the stars of SITC's trials & tribulations with love concuring all! I'm a freakin genious! Yes I know...THANK YOU! We will be open from 6pm to midnight tuesday through sunday and will obviously be 21 & older.
Admission is $25 dollars.

In the meantime

BUY MY PERFUME!!

ps.....YOUR WELCOME!
Posted: Feb 8, 2006 2:46 am

sarah jessica,

helllooo!!!!! my butt needs a-rubbing!

daddy needs a poke!

don't waste the pearls of your wisdom on these yokels, come pick out my outfit for tomorrow. I have a really important lunch!
Posted: Feb 8, 2006 2:52 am

Oh HI MATHEW!!!! Your soooo funny sometimes! I swear.... A lunch huh? Maybe we can meet at SAKS & I'll meet you there at 10am. Bring your cc! I'm not cheap! Or am I??? RRAAOOOW!!

Just kidding! Text me! We can meet at the usual spot....
Posted: Feb 8, 2006 2:55 am

with love concuring all!

I concur!
Posted: Feb 8, 2006 3:01 am

oh you'll be paying sister. I didn't marry you for your looks, that's fer sure....
but what's an ugly face between 2 girlfriends anyway. I love your STYLE, yourn PANACHE, your incredible WIT... I could almost do you... NOT.

now back to the matter at hand. I need a buttrub! jorje will be here in just a few minutes & I need to be relaxed! pronto blondie!
Posted: Feb 8, 2006 3:02 am

I mean, pronto brownie!
Posted: Feb 8, 2006 3:09 am

I didn't marry you for your looks

ha-ha....That's exactly what you said the night we fired that Hatian house cleaner when he couldn't pronounce my name correctly and I asked you if you married me for my ability to suprise the house help!! Your sooo funny MATHEW!

Text me!
Posted: Feb 8, 2006 3:17 am

sjp quit showing off for your new goner "friends". none of them can ever play the beard quite as well as I, the award-winning actor. ahem, wargames, anyone? without me your'e nothing, my little adorable horse-faced peabrain.

who got a tony, sjp... WHO.. GOT... A... TONY!!!!

come rub my butt!
Posted: Feb 8, 2006 3:20 am

Somebody's not T-E-X-T-I-N-G me!!!!!!

Mathew! Stop making such a scene! Your not at "mommies" house anymore!
Posted: Feb 8, 2006 3:32 am

if by mommy you mean mistress billy, and if by house you mean basement torture chamber, then I guess your right again, my little big-eared lucky guesser. I told you I never wanted to leave the warm embrace of my partners in leather, but no, you were afraid that your perfume sales would tank if my tastes were revealed. meanwhile you go ahead & pork every small dog this side of 5th avenue! how do you think that makes me feel?

I'm crying now.

come rub my butt!
Posted: Feb 8, 2006 3:57 am

Ugghhhh... Do you have to bring THIS up again!
We've been through this with the therapist remember???!!! My perfume sales would probably skyrocket (not that they aren't already mind you!!) if maybe you WORE some of it to the Manhole Hellfire Club every now & then. I told you that was always an untapped (no pun intended!ha-ha) market I've always wanted to get my claws on! As for dogs on 5th, that's Pepe's job. I just write about it!

GO SEE SPINNING INTO BUTTER IN THE SPRING!!!
Posted: Feb 8, 2006 4:02 am

Dee I liked your response. Very well thought out. I'm for keeping jobs too
but I'm also for creating jobs how many jobs will be created at basspro/indoor theme park. More than libertyland. The pyramid is over 500,000 square feet. Basspro is the hottest retail in the country check out time magazine. thats about 500to 600 more jobs than libertyland could ever create.Beside don't you like the fairgrounds projectbeing planned the kroc center will be a great place for inner city youth.
Posted: Feb 8, 2006 4:12 am

but my little stick-figured bow-legged flower-wearing man in drag.... me findus you a little slow on the uptake tonight. hello xanax/ambien/scotch etc etc? and quit blaming the dog rapes on pepe... he's got enough to deal with...

but back to the topic at hand... SJP PLAYLAND... discuss!

come rub my butt!
Posted: Feb 8, 2006 4:28 am

Oh,...ha-ha Mathew.. I apologize. I had to get Pepe to go PICK UP my order at Balthazar as they for some reason refuse to deliver to me anymore...

I have a new idea for SJP Playland thanks to Matty Mat. It's called:

The Mathew Broderick House Of Pain!!!!
It will be a haunted house ride in which I can employ all of your boyfriends down at the Manhole Club and they won't have to hustle ass down on the westside highway anymore!

God I'm good!!!!
Posted: Feb 9, 2006 7:24 pm

Pardon my intrusion into your virtual "butt-rubbing," to remind folks that the Valentine's Dance for Love of Libertyland takes place Sat. the 18th at the HiTone Cafe. There will be some large, furry puppets there as emcees, so SJP take note.

And since you guys all sound well over 21, part of the reason for the effort to Save Libertyland is because the kids asked us to try.
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 12:34 am

Dee you seem well intended but children can"t make financial decision in the best interest of the city. You hanging on to something thats gone,loyal
but naive. When you see the proposal by Greg Ericson Pyramid Park Memphis, Libertyland will pale in comparison the children will have a much better time and it will be year round. Libertyland was seasonal.Let it go dee its closed and will not reopen. They took the sign down already.Sorry but its true.
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 2:10 am

Watch Fox 13 news at 9 p.m. tonight for update on Libertyland controversy.
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 7:17 am

what happened!!! what happened!!!
i can't watch memphis news here...
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 2:59 pm

I really doubt there that many kids that are all upset about the closing of Libertyland. Lets face it, unless you wanted to by some crack at the Lemonade/Corn Dog booth or you wanted to get robbed in the tunnel on the Old Timey Cars, Libertyland has not been a place for us to take the kids in a while. The place is overrun with thugs (yes...employees and patrons) since I can remember. Sure...I ride the Pippin during the fair(and its damn fun), but that just dosent seem like enough to "save" the entire park. The shits way run down and Im suprised it hasnt been shut down before now. If your in to amusement parks, St. Louis and Atlanta both have Six Flags which are pretty badass.
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 5:39 pm

Well put! Now how about That SJP Playland offer huh? If you missed my pitch, here it is again!
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Like....OH MY FREAKIN GOD! HELLO!....
Can somebody get a violin over here? We are in desperate need of some sappy soundtrack music playing in the background while scrolling down the sob stories about a 3rd rate state fair located in a parking lot (from what my intern's research has showed me), so get over it people!!!
Or hows about this....I'm an entrapenural type o gal.... I will save your sad decrepit excuse for a theme park! On one condition...It has to be renamed....
SARAH JESSICA PARKER PLAYLAND! Instead of the Zippin Pippin,(whatever the fuck that is?) I shall rename it, the The Sex In The City Thrusty Zipper! Of course I will have it painted & reconstructed to look like you are riding in a big zipper! GENIOUS!
Instead of this treasured broken down carosel, I will give it a much needed makeover, and call it The Sex In The City Karma Sutra Ride! You can only imagine what kind of renovation that's gonna look like!
Apple Martini's will replace all beverages. Salad's & sushi will replace fattining and morally irresponsible hot dawgs on a stick or whatever you call it. And of course there will be a special show free with the price of admission at the end of the evening. A special musical extravaganza emmulating the stars of SITC's trials & tribulations with love concuring all! I'm a freakin genious! Yes I know...THANK YOU! We will be open from 6pm to midnight tuesday through sunday and will obviously be 21 & older.
Admission is $25 dollars.

In the meantime

BUY MY PERFUME!!

ps.....YOUR WELCOME!
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 6:09 pm

what happened!!! what happened!!!
I didn't watch it. It comes on at 9:00. I was reading to my child. It probably went something like this: "WE CAN STOP THE WAR IN IRAQ IF WE SAVE LIBERTYLAND!", or some other opportunist documentary ilk.

I ride the Pippin during the fair(and its damn fun), but that just dosent seem like enough to "save" the entire park.
Again, I want to save the Pippin and the carousel, and move it elsewhere in town. I would fight for that.
But my kid isn't crying over Libertyland; mow it down.
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 6:49 pm

If you didn't catch the update (it was actually the only good news in a sea of robbings and shootings) -- it went something like this: There are 2 CEOs who have been invited by the City of Memphis (finally, after months of our meddling and prodding) to submit letters of intent. One CEO came from out of state and met with members of Save Libertyland! and has an impressive resume of 11 "turnarounds" -- parks that were either bankrupt or closed until his company brought them to profitability. The point was made (again) that Libertyland has been run by a non-profit. So there is no surprise that it has not been profitable. But to take it away from families, to eliminate more than 700 summer jobs for teens, is not only unnecessary (as proven by the progress shown in this report) it is rather idiotic.
As for the "fear-factor" involved with Libertyland: Stay home if you are too scared to join me, my 10-year-old daughter, and all her girlie friends. We have never been afraid at Libertyland (unlike Peabody Place parking garage.) You may not need to come to the theme park, but don't take it away from the children of Memphis. Just sit in front of your computer and don't bother coming to the Valentine's Dance either -- the sight of children and puppets might frighten you!
If you are not part of the solution, etc....
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 7:03 pm

As for the "fear-factor" involved with Libertyland: Stay home if you are too scared to join me,
I'd rather just go some place more fun.

If you are not part of the solution, etc....
...Then I am part of a better solution.
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 7:14 pm

What is some place more fun? In Midtown, for 10 bucks? (You see, like many Midtown housewives, I have no car.) Please let me know so I can take the kids there. This is your chance to be "part of a better solution."
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 7:19 pm

Childrens Museum
Zoo
Pink Palace
Movies
Many Parks
The DMV

All are more fun than Libertyland....
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 7:22 pm

You see, like many Midtown housewives, I have no car

How true do you think that statement is, really? Not trying to be facecious at all, but I don't see it like that.
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 7:25 pm

A beautiful, new safe park & community center at the corner of Central & Parkway. Within walking distance too from the former Libertyland. Free too!
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 7:27 pm

Good answer! Good answer!
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 7:30 pm

Ive lived in Memphis and basically midtown all of my life and Im definitely not personally "scared" to go to Libertyland. You just keep bringin up the kids...do it for the kids. Lets be real...how many moms (on foot or by car) do you really think take their kids or drop them off at Libertyland for an outing...apparently not that many. The place is a total accident waiting to happen. Sure, there are 700 kids employed there during the summer and like half of them are operating rides that are most likely not maintained properly, yet alone operated in a safe manner. Ive observed this while visiting Libertyland during the fair. I just think that the negatives outweigh the positives in this crusade. Ok, so they keep it open...the city is def. not gonna put any money behind it to clean it up and have it run the right way. There are things to do within walking distance...the Childrens Museum, Overton Park, The Zoo etc. etc..
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 7:36 pm

The liquer store!
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 7:37 pm

Yeah, ditto. Colin and I, in fact, grew up in the same apartment complex at the same time on East Parkway and Union (Georgian Woods). Pink Palace, the Zoo, Overton Park and even Downtown (I used to go Downtown all the time as a wee kid--the river is great). And those are the old school attractions. A community center that offered sports, games, art (of all stripes) etc etc etc (it is what you make it) would be something that could truly reflect the community and isn't reliant on some outsiders moneybags to keep a questionable attraction around.
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 7:47 pm

Scared is not the word. "Don't want to" is the word.

If there were a market for such a family amusement park in the tri-state area, don't you think the casinos would build one? Of course they would (& you'd have to drive to it) in order to get the gambling dollars. They would lose money on the amusement park to do so, but they are not because there is not a big enough market here to support it.

As Colin said, you can take a bus to St. Louis or Atlanta & go to a 1st class amusement park or you can enjoy the great new park coming to the fairgrounds. There is no controversy here...just someone with a lot of energy throwing it away on a bad idea.

A new casino project in Tunica has a cool water park on the drawing board, which I hope they build. (Again, you'll have to bum a ride from Misty or someone with wheels).

I'm sure there were some folks who were upset and didn't want Autozone Park to replace the great fare shown at Blue Movies West, a conveniently located adult movie theater within walking distance of most of downtown. Losing Libertyland is the price of progress and if there were more interest in saving this "attraction," then you'd have more people signing your petition.

And for Rickey Peete's sake, please quit with the job's b.s! If you had ever worked at one of Libertyland's sub-minimum wage jobs--that don't train you to do anything--(you obviously have not), then you wouldn't be using such a lame argument for your cause. The new park will also need jobs and I have to assume they would be better jobs than the ones at Libertyland as they are the worst available and easily replaceable.
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 7:48 pm

Perhaps the problem arises from the old "familiarity breeds contempt" effect, in that several posters against Libertyland are life-long Memphians. There are many supporters of Save Libertyland! from as far away as Amsterdam and Australia.

As to the "fun stuff" you listed -- been there, done that. And my statement that many housewives in Midtown have no car, perhaps I should have said Black Housewives. Or Poor Housewives. Or Housewives Whose Cars Have Died and Right Now We Don't Get Out A Lot.

As to the "beautiful new safe park & community center" I assume you mean the KROC foundation's proposal. That would be the perfect complement to a modernized them park with a solar-powered Ferris Wheel courtesy of Sharp Microwave's Memphis Solar Factory. Welcome to the dream.
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 7:53 pm

BTW, the jobs argument is not my argument. It is from the young people who've worked at Libertyland and told members of Save Libertyland! what a great opportunity and fun job it was. Also, the kids from the many Libertyland talent contests want to keep that tradition going as well. You can hear the 2005 Libertyland Talent Contest winner at our show at the Hitone, Feb. 18. Her name is Alexis Tarver and she is 12.
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 7:53 pm

Ya ever been to Austraila? Not a wole hell of a lot happenin down there. Bunch a drunk kangaroos.
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 7:54 pm

HEE HAW!!!
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 7:54 pm

Australia sounds like Memphis!
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 7:55 pm

You'd better get your old parrot uniform, dtrain. QUICK!!!
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 7:56 pm

Australia sounds like Memphis!
Oh, no you didn't....
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 7:56 pm

P.S. Feel free to sign the online petition to Save Libertyland!

www.detourmemphis.com
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 8:05 pm

Im not "against" Im just for whats best!! What do supporters for Libertyland in Amsterdam and Austrailia have to do with anything?? The thoughts nice I guess. Ive been there and done that with Libertyland, like 20 years or so ago. I used to love that shit when it was clean and functioning right....I spent the night there before during the Telethon deal where it was open all night...good times!! Thats all for me...just my opinion.
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 8:07 pm

Save Carjack Land ...Uh I mean Liberty Ville so I can wear the suit Jack! Remember! There HAS to be a Librtyland for me to wear the terrible Parrot suit Jack. Now save it! It's soooo precious! What a landmark! What history! What amazing shows!
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 8:15 pm

Amazing shows, like do you mean Elvis, or Big Star?
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 8:16 pm

As for supporters all over the world: Memphis is a tourist town, if you didn't already know that.
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 8:23 pm

Elvis? Bigstar? What year is it ? 19 seventy freakin 2?
Doubt tourists are comin to get there carjack or to buy some rocks at the Revolution. It's Revolution Rocks! Rocks around the clock!

HEE=HAWW!
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 8:25 pm

You will soon learn the REAL reason Libertyland was not profitable. There are several reporters asking pertinent questions and it will all come out, then you can sit back and let kids have their goddam Amusement park like they SAY THEY WANT.
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 8:25 pm

Neither e. nor big star played libertyland, to my recollection, not that that has anything to do with libertyland being an embarrassment for out of towners to come to. Maybe a few do, but it would be a regional group that can't afford gas to St. Louis or Atlanta, I suppose.
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 8:27 pm

And FYI, Libertyland wasn't built in "19 seventy freakin 2" it was to commemorate the bicentennial, in 1976. That's why their phone number is "274-1776" cute, huh?
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 8:28 pm

Please...tell us. What's the REAL reason CarjackLand isn't profitable? I can't seem to figure it out. Oh wait, let me ask a KID. I'm sure they have the answer!
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 8:29 pm

Maybe you're thinking about the Shell? They both played there--E. twice, once with Slim Whitman, once with Johnny Cash. Shell is being save already (waiting for Willie's cip budget to roll again) & it will be cool again. The money you will save on Libertyland admissions for those 2 kids who want it saved--put it into instruments and have 'em form a band and then they can play the stage where E. played.
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 8:30 pm

Why stop there? Why not charge 1776 prices while your at it? Could be profitable? Let me go ask a KID. They'll know!
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 8:31 pm

We'll put Sherm!
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 8:31 pm

And, please, what's with the language, Mommy? The Kids might be reading.
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 8:34 pm

Sounds like no car mom found the liquer store a little early today! ha-ha Might I add, good choice no car mom! Start 'em early!
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 8:36 pm

HEE HAW!
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 8:41 pm

According to the new Big Star biography, it was Libertyland. Altho they played the shell too, a great venue that my children (ages 19, 10 and 19 mos.) have all attended during the 80s, 90s, and the past few years. But, you'll just have to be patient on the details re: Libertyland's "profitability." Don't worry, it's not YOUR fault Libertyland didn't prosper.

The language is the language, take it or leave it, my kids have excellent vocabularies and know the difference between passionate truth and redolent wind.
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 8:41 pm

According to the new Big Star biography, it was Libertyland. Altho they played the shell too, a great venue that my children (ages 19, 10 and 19 mos.) have all attended during the 80s, 90s, and the past few years. But, you'll just have to be patient on the details re: Libertyland's "profitability." Don't worry, it's not YOUR fault Libertyland didn't prosper.

The language is the language, take it or leave it, my kids have excellent vocabularies and know the difference between passionate truth and redolent wind.
Page  Page 1 of 3:  1  2  3  Next » 
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®