Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / I wanna come home
Posted: Dec 25, 2005 12:38 am | Edited by: fierydrunk

Am I crazy? Why does this always happen?

P.S. I am drunk.
Posted: Dec 25, 2005 5:31 am

you can take the girl out of memphis . . .
Posted: Dec 26, 2005 2:07 am

Why does this always happen?

Maybe because the weather on the West Coast doesn't feel like Christmas. Not enough seasonal change. I happily said goodbye to the SoCal Surfin' Santa version of Christmas this year and couldn't wait to get the season started here in flyover country.
Posted: Dec 27, 2005 4:03 am | Edited by: Jack Stands

Fiery?
How come every time y'all talk about comin' back to Memphis, you preface the statement with "Am I crazy?"
Posted: Dec 27, 2005 4:37 pm

Anyone who has ever left Memphis and come back will know the answer to that one.
Posted: Dec 27, 2005 4:46 pm

Anyone who has ever left Memphis and come back will know the answer to that one.

as someone who has come and goner several times, i hear you. I thought I was crazy to keep coming back (and still do), but I finally realized that memphis has a hold on me.

give in, girl. Memphis aint gonna let go of you.
Posted: Dec 27, 2005 5:10 pm

Kristin -- you could come buy Andertons and keep it open!!!
Posted: Dec 27, 2005 7:59 pm

Ryan would probably love that. But I think he wants to open a breakfast cafe--I know we have had that discussion ad nauseum here but that man can cook some breakfast and with my Southern breakfast skills...well, our menu would be fantastic.

Problem is, I don't wanna work in a cafe. I wanna open a "fancy" clothing store/home design store/all around kick ass stuff store.

Jack Stands likely has a wild idea of how to combine the two of these dreams!
Posted: Dec 27, 2005 8:03 pm

It seems that the opposite is true: the people who really love memphis are the ones that have lived somewhere else for a while.

Out of curiousity, Kristin, do you keep up with Portland news as much as Memphis news?
Posted: Dec 27, 2005 8:09 pm

Andertons is freaking huge... there's enough rooms in there to have a clothing/home store on the eastside, a breakfast joint in the middle, and a pirate ship bar on the other side.
Posted: Dec 27, 2005 8:16 pm

I guess I have been the exception, hemant. I have left and come back in my adult life twice. Both times after returning, I ran away again. There are some really difficult things about Memphis that made it hard for me to remain.

But I have settled quite a bit over the years, Ryan adores Memphis and I miss Memphis a lot. Obviously, I spend countless hours on this board. The last two times I came home, I felt so damn comfortable. There is just nothing like that feeling! I wonder if it would sustain if I return again?

And as far as Portland news, yeah, I follow it like mad, but it is so damn boring!!!! It has its moments though. And Portland, well, there are things about it I'd like to share with Memphians.
Posted: Dec 27, 2005 10:07 pm

Memphis news is definitely entertaining. I used to record it so that I could watch just he juicy stuff.
Posted: Dec 27, 2005 10:17 pm

You can't really do it justice without a recording, I don't think. I have tried to do a good "CLEAN UP!" Richard Ransom but it never translates. Also, Portlanders tend to think you are being disgustingly racist if you are laughing at some insane story like the Club Hughes thing. You get shamed.
Posted: Dec 27, 2005 10:45 pm | Edited by: Uptight White

Portland is in a completely different orbit than Memphis. It doesn't mean I'm not disgustingly racist, but stories like this are so common here they register no disbelief or shock. It's just the way it is in these parts.
Posted: Dec 28, 2005 12:20 am

Fiery, I've been thinking about this all day (well, really since about 2:30).

There is a place waaaaayyy east of Memphis called "Henco Furniture". Their gimmick is some really old guy telling you that the "Prices are lower 'out in the country'." To make up for this, they have some wierd kind of "food court" thing going on, and people in bunny suits handing out cookies, I believe.

If you build it here, people don't have to drive all the way out into the country; also, there's a place called "Tuesday Morning", or some such. I guess they are only open on Tuesday mornings. If this is true, then an "everyday" breakfast and sofa sales place could effectively "whomp" the competition.

It'll never make money if you don't have skeeball, though.
Posted: Dec 29, 2005 2:01 pm

Fiery, I ain't kidding...a breakfast joint would certainly fly. There is no place to eat breakfast in Memphis except for CK's.
Posted: Dec 29, 2005 3:47 pm

I know! I always end up thinking about how we could rake it in and be all restaurant superstars & get on the cover of Memphis...ah the fame. But, y'all, I do not wanna slave my life away in a cafe! I want my bad ass clothes store--like Chelsea used to be to Memphis but about 10 zillion times better.
Posted: Dec 29, 2005 4:46 pm

It's time for you to take a little vacation, fiery. Come on down and check it out! There's a new little "retail development" on the corner of Union and Belvedere...perfect for that kind of clothes store.
PS...check Tigers website before you come and we could go to a game!
Posted: Dec 29, 2005 5:51 pm | Edited by: fierydrunk

Maybe I should get the hell outta here before next summer (when we were planning on coming on a road trip). Just for a long weekend, a real break. I could see my mom and aunt/uncle and not to mention, all y'all.

Tiger game is a MUST.

Lemme look at plane tix. And the Tiger schedule.
Posted: Dec 29, 2005 6:05 pm

Yipes--$400.

Thing that sucks is I would love to come for the Tennessee game but I'd have to wrangle $$$ from Mom. My bday is coming up so I could likely split the ticket with her. Can I stay at your place, Alisa?

The next weekend is my bday and there is a UAB game (they killed OK State last night) but I want to be with my husband on the birthday.

I'll figure something out.
Posted: Dec 29, 2005 6:31 pm

Well, sure you can! If you don't mind staying in my little rocker Jack's room...black and gold with a monkey rug and Ramones poster - does have cable and fast internet in there, though. Kids are gone half the time...we'd have some fun!
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®