Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Posted: Dec 2, 2005 7:22 pm

i was considering going (or applying) to Memphis U, is it a cool place to go to school? has anyone went/go there? is there stuff to do on the campus? is it close to the fun parts of Memphis (ie Goner Store, venues, etc)?

any info is appreciated.
Posted: Dec 2, 2005 11:16 pm

Campus life seems to be improving a lot, esp. since the football and basketball teams have been good lately.

It's in a nice part of town, but is only about a 5 minute drive from Midtown, which is where the Goner shop and a lot of the rock clubs are.
Posted: Dec 3, 2005 12:15 am

Its a decent enough place to go to school. Huge commuter campus so you don't see a whole lot of the same people (my experience at least.) Yep, 5 minutes from Goner and midtown. Not a whole lot going on activity wise, they have a movie once a week and some live program on Wednesday nights I always mean to check out. Stage in the Tiger Den looks underutilized but I can't get anybody else that wants to try and play it. Academics is ok, I'm a history major and have enjoyed my classes. Required undergrad stuff has been a breeze with minimal effort and good grades. Not too sure about my education but it makes working nearly full time and going to shows easier. Different folks I've talked to in various graduate level courses all seem to be pretty happy with their classes and professors. Overall, I dig it. Not too hard but I feel like I'm learning without having to write 100 pages per class. If you want a really good undergraduate degree, check out the pricier, much nicer looking, Rhodes University. Not my cup of tea but sometimes I wish that I had buckled down and really gotten a good college education. Then I grab another beer and turn on the record player.
Posted: Dec 5, 2005 3:38 am

there isn't a lot to do on campus that isn't really academic-related. the social scene isn't too stellar, but it's close to midtown, which is pretty much where everything goes on.

if you end up moving and going to school there, i would recommend midtown if you have a car. if you're intending on biking, then stay closer to campus and say away from the apartments located by the traintracks by southern unless you wanna deal with the noise. most of the bars around the campus are college-oriented and not so fun. but tracks has some good food, and rp billiards is nice for watching basketball games.

as far as academics is concerned, conner has it nailed down quite well. i'm a history major too and i really enjoy my classes. some of the profs make you bust your ass. others don't. the gen ed classes thankfully were relatively easy, but i had MOST of those out of the way by the time i ended up transferring though, so i don't know how it is for science classes. which i have heard those are a little more difficult. not sure.

but it has been relatively easy to get by for me working and going out. i'm swamped for the next week with papers, but since it's nearing finals week that is understandable. usually it's not so hectic.
Posted: Dec 5, 2005 5:47 am

www.ratemyprofessor.com

if you're trying to avoid the bad profs, try this site out. I wouldn't reccommend always going for the "easy" ones, but you can at least avoid the really shitty ones.

next semester i'm taking 19 of the easiest hours of my life.
enjoy.

PHED-1571-501
GOLF TR 11:20-12:45PM 12594 LILES, LAWRENCE E.

PHED-1561-502
BOWLING TR 01:00-02:25PM 12137 FADGEN, RICHARD D.

MATH-1420-001
FOUNDATIONS OF MATH MWF 08:00-08:55AM 06704 BACOPULOS, DIONYSIA S.

COMM-2381-017
ORAL COMMUNICATION TR 08:00-09:25AM 02726 STAFF

ENGL-2201-003
LITERARY HERITAGE MWF 09:10-10:05AM 04207 STAFF

SPAN-1010-007
ELEMENTARY SPANISH I MWF 10:20-11:15AM 10934 HARRIS, JULIE MARIE

HIST-2020-015
THE US SINCE 1877 MW 07:10-08:35PM 05494 PADEN, DENNIS

Total: 19.00 hours
Posted: Dec 5, 2005 12:55 pm

Well there goes band practice.
Posted: Dec 5, 2005 6:58 pm

yikes. you have some early morning classes. ugh.

and ratemyprofessor.com is really crappy because i almost didn't take a class from what ended up being my favorite prof in the entire school simply because some lazy jerkoffs on there said that he was a miserably difficult and shitty teacher. i found it to be just the opposite, that those people must not have wanted to do any work or think.

i'm only doing 14 hours this next semester, as i only have one class that i really NEED to graduate and i would hate to waste loan money. i'm taking the holocaust studies class through the judiac studies dept, england since 1714, cultural and intellectual history of modern europe, pilates, and oral history. should be a fun semester for me. and i don't have any classes before 11:20.
Posted: Dec 5, 2005 8:03 pm

I'm about to start...still wading through the paperwork, trying to appeal financial aid. Praying for late classes and that the night jobs will cut it. I'm about to be BROKE.
Posted: Dec 5, 2005 8:27 pm

what really really really sucks about financial aid is that unless you make under a ridiculously low amount of money, you won't qualify for any grants. i made something like 16k the year before and i still didn't qualify. i don't know how anyone can afford to go to school on 16k without taking out loans. i'm going to be in debt forever after i finish grad school.
Posted: Dec 5, 2005 10:54 pm

Finally got to where I could take an upper-division history but couldn't because my procrastinating ass didn't register until today. Decided to make up my last failed class instead. Stuck in school Tuesday and Thursday from 8 a.m. until 9 p.m. There are a two breaks, one about two hours and the other about three, but its still gonna suck. And one of those classes requires a lab which you have to sign up for after the semester starts. Don't know how I'm going to find a new job at this rate. I can't belive you couldn't get a grant and you made only 16K! I'm still pissed I can't get a HOPE scholarship because graduated one year too early. They are supposed to be changing around some rules but so far it still doesn't apply to me.
Posted: Dec 5, 2005 10:59 pm

well, after i lose the full time job my income should be ridiculously low on paper. think $5-7,000. If you can't qualify for a grant on that, I'm fucked more ways than one.
Posted: Dec 5, 2005 11:14 pm

well, after i lose the full time job my income should be ridiculously low on paper. think $5-7,000. If you can't qualify for a grant on that, I'm fucked more ways than one.

it's all based upon your income the previous year. sometimes they will take into consideration if you are quitting a job, but for the most part, they are stingy with the money. hopefully you can get that appealed and they will give you a grant. it still won't cover your entire tuitinon. even with the biggest amount of money they will give you in a pell grant, it still won't cover the entire tuition costs. i about died when i found that out. college is so damn expensive. too bad they cannot guarantee everyone a job upon graduation. it would alleviate a LOT of stress.
Posted: Dec 5, 2005 11:20 pm | Edited by: Windy

it still won't cover your entire tuitinon.

good hell. that's what is wrong with this country. you can get more for welfare and food stamps that $$ for an education.
Posted: Dec 5, 2005 11:49 pm

i know. it makes me really disgusted. tuition keeps going up every year, but yet the government does little to nothing to alleviate the costs. it's really sad, especially because so many other countries offer free tuition to those who want to go. here, schools are run like a business. makes me want to vomit.

i ended up knocking out most of my basic core classes at community college because it was SO MUCH CHEAPER and they transferred to u of m without any problem. i had to just make sure to not take things that wouldn't transfer. but getting math out of the way was so much better at a community college. it's a lot easier and a ton cheaper. often, a pell grant will cover full tuition and books. the only bad thing is that it is a limited amount of classes to take, nothing upper level, just all basics. but definitely worth looking into because i couldn't afford u of m at first. still i really can't, just had to bite the bullet and take out loans.
Posted: Dec 6, 2005 12:48 am

yikes. you have some early morning classes. ugh

i work everyday at 2:30, so i had to take early classes. my job is too tasty to give up for school.
Afterschool care for a private elemntary school, 2:30 to 6 everyday, 9.00/hour, mix kool aid and play kickball with kids for 3 hours.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®