Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Goner Records / LP - Vinyl - Storage Solution
Posted: Jun 21, 2005 2:49 am

I need a storage solution for albums. I'm moving soon, and my wife and I will be living in a temporary arrangement while renovation work is being done on our new home. I have about 600-ish pieces of vinyl that I need to put in storage while we're in a temporary rental situation. I'm trying to find boxes made to hold albums. In the past I've transported with milk crates, or 12" vertical file boxes, but the albums are only only supported on the bottom and sides, but are too large to lid the boxes. I want something enclosed. I need boxes that are about 12.25" in two of the dimensions. Then I can just buy as many as I need depending on the depth. Unfortunately I cannot find any boxes in those dimensions. Has anyone else found a solution for storing vinyl LPs? Thank you in advance for any assistance.
Posted: Jun 21, 2005 3:02 am

when we recently moved, my husband bought some boxes at office depot. i can't remember the exact demensions, but they were a good size for 12"es and they were sturdy enough that you could stack them on top of each other.
Posted: Jun 21, 2005 3:27 am

u-hauls "small" moving boxes fit LPs perfectly. not sure if they still do but they used to say record albums on the side of em. you can tape em up and stack em just fine.
Posted: Jun 21, 2005 4:36 am

cardboard 12 bottle wine boxes work great. not so big that they get too heavy. sniff around one of those big warehouse places. can usually get lots for free. you'll need twelve or so.
Posted: Jun 21, 2005 2:15 pm

Wine boxes do work great because they're small enough that they don't get heavy as fuck when you fill them up with LPs. However, most wine boxes are just like !/4" too short, so you can't really seal the tops up.
Posted: Jun 21, 2005 2:17 pm

two (three?) moves ago i went to office depot and bought some 14x14x14 (or maybe 13x13x13) boxes and they worked fantastically.
Posted: Jun 21, 2005 4:54 pm

Posted: Jun 21, 2005 5:17 pm

Yeah, U-Haul does still have the "LP" boxes and yeah, i think they are the called the "small" ones now. I just moved and i used them, they fit perfect.
Posted: Jun 21, 2005 9:58 pm

I bought quite a few LP cases. they are made by a company called "ION" they make dj equpiment as well, they probably have a website. They lock tight and are made of some form of metal, basically nothing will get to your vinyl. They are worth it for sure. each case holds 50 LPs. I bought enough to put all my most valuable & favorite shit in.
Posted: Jun 21, 2005 10:00 pm

one of my friends has one of those. doesn't it keep your records from getting too hot too? how much do those cost?
Posted: Jun 21, 2005 10:28 pm

i ain't no donkey, but bbbbray?
Posted: Jun 22, 2005 5:25 am

one of my friends has one of those. doesn't it keep your records from getting too hot too? how much do those cost?

i got mine on sale, I think it was like 30 bucks, totally worth it though. My mind is at ease knowing my LPs are safe!
Posted: Jul 25, 2005 6:53 pm

Do a google search for Bags Unlimited (the site might be www.bagsunlimited.com)...maybe this was too obvious for everyone else to say. but i figured i'd chime in.
Posted: Apr 13, 2008 5:25 am

Posted: Apr 13, 2008 5:27 am

this site has a LP storage cabinet for sale. maybe its not for moving but once you get into the new place it works well :)
Posted: Apr 30, 2008 9:39 pm

Awesome condition on that "Load Up" LP.
Posted: Jul 17, 2008 6:42 pm

I picked up a couple of these last week. Very nice.....i can fit 900 LPs total.

www.lpbin.com
Posted: Feb 15, 2009 3:49 pm

U-line small boxes worked great for us.
Posted: Feb 15, 2009 3:57 pm

Posted: Feb 15, 2009 5:55 pm

I'm eyeballin' these...
Posted: Feb 15, 2009 6:04 pm

Posted: Feb 16, 2009 8:18 am

it was a great day when i was able to toss out the crates and boxes and treat my collection with respect! i cant imagine going back to boxes...i have two of the the LPBIN and a Ikea expidite.
Posted: Feb 20, 2009 12:45 am

when i recently renovated my house, i moved my records to my mom's place and i used those big boxes where they transfer bananas in
Posted: Feb 20, 2009 1:11 am

I carry mine in an extra large banana hammock.
Posted: Feb 20, 2009 12:23 pm

are we still talking about record storage?
Posted: Feb 22, 2009 2:58 am

Home Depot actually sells these awesome boxes I used to store my stock from back when I had my own business selling records. If I remember correctly, they fit about 100 records each pretty comfortably.
Posted: Feb 23, 2009 7:53 am

I think if you hated LPs then putting them in a banana box is fine
Posted: May 22, 2010 9:33 am

The small U-Haul moving box is too small for vinyl LPs because LPs are not actually exactly 12" in size. They are just over 12 & 3/8" square plus you needs to some extra space beyond the LP to allow for packing materials, like bubble wrap, otherwise your LP cover edges will become damaged/worn.

I have 4500 vinyl records and have moved several times.

Next time, I shall see if I can rent some metal flight boxes.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®