Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Food & Drink / The return of Passover brisket
Posted: Apr 4, 2010 2:31 pm | Edited by: Rumpleforeskin

this needs a re-run cos it's so damn good. Thanks again to Hugh Jass PS: I added two bay leaves. YOU COOK LIKE A JEW!!!" PT 1.

Mom's Brisket

Brisket
Ketchup
Brown sugar
Onions-- sliced
Salt
Pepper
Ginger Ale

Put the brisket in a pan with lots of room. Cook the meat, bottom side up, at 450 for 30 minutes. Take the pan out of the oven.

Lower the oven temperature to 350. Sprinkle meat with salt and pepper.
Turn the meat over. Sprinkle 2nd side of meat with salt and pepper.
Cover meat with about 1/4" layer of ketchup. Sprinkle about 1/4 cup of brown sugar on top of the ketchup. Dump sliced onions on top and around sides of meat. Pour about 1" of ginger ale around the sides.
Cover with foil. Place in oven.

After about 1 Hour, carefully remove foil and baste meat with the ginger ale that's in the pan. Some of the ketchup and onions will fall to the side of the pan. Re-Cover with foil and cook again for 1 hour. Repeat the basting. If the ginger ale is cooking out, add some more ginger ale.

Test meat with a fork. When fork goes in easily, it's done.
Don't overcook the meat, or it will fall apart. When meat is done, take pan out of oven and let meat cool down.To slice, cut across the grain.
It will slice more easily if the meat is cool.

If you're not going to serve it right away, take the meat out of the pan, and wrap it and put it in the frig. If you separately put the gravy w. the onions in the frig, you can remove some fat. I usually slice the meat when it's cool, and then reheat it in a pan, in the oven, with the gravy and onions, covered with foil.

Hugh Jass
Member Posted: Apr 5, 2007, 11:07 pm | Edited by: Hugh Jass Quote
---------------------------------------------------------------------- ----------
"YOU COOK LIKE A JEW!!!" PT 2.

Mom's Passover Charoset

Peel and core some apples. I like fuji. Chop them into tiny pieces. You can use a food processor if you're careful not to make mush. I usually just use a knife and cutting board, but it makes a mess, flying everywhere.

Chop about 1-2 tbs. of walnuts for each apple into tiny pieces.
Use about 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon per apple. Pour about 1/2 cup Concord grape wine (e.g. Manischewitz or Kedem). Mix everything together. It's best if it 'sits' for about an hour. You can pour off any extra wine-- or drink it.
Posted: Apr 15, 2010 8:57 am | Edited by: Beer Joint

how about this? Take an entire summer sausage and hollow out a loaf of fresh baked bread and insert an entire summer sausage. Poor gravy all over it if you got it. Then follow it all up with a gallon of moose tracks icecream.

How about that instead of brisket?
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®