Available now!

EX CULT MIDNIGHT PASSENGER PRE-ORDER

EX-CULT
Midnight Passenger lp/cd
Coming April 29

GONER RECORD STORE DAY RELEASE
Ex-Cult
"Ties You Up" b/w "New Virtues" 7"
Be sure to bug your local retailer for these!
And swing by GONER for exclusive colored vinyl on Record Store Day - Saturday April !9
GONER RSD POSTER HERE

2nd Midtown Memphis Record Swap - Saturday May 10
Full-on Crosstown Arts Block Party with DJs, Beer, Third Man Mobile Store & More!
Plus OBLIVIANS that night at the Hi Tone! Dick Dale plays the night before!
Dealers get in touch!

Buck Biloxi & The Fucks - s/t lp (Red Lounge Records)

Icecross s/t lp (Rockadrome)

Obnox- Louder Space lp (12XU)

Anthology of American Folk Music Volume 3 lp (Mississippi)

Talbot Adams - s/t lp (Spacecase Records)
Predator - The Complete Earth lp (Scavenger of Death)

Valerie June - Pushin' Against A Stone cd (Concord)
Ross Johnson and Jeffrey Evans - Vanity Session lp (Spacecase ) Leo Welch - Sabougla Voices cd (Big Legal Mess)
Pookie & the Poodlez -The Last Thing I Did As a Teenager 12'
Sid Selvidge - The Cold of the Morning lp (Omnivore)

Manateees - Seek Help 7' (Total Punk)

BUCK BILOXI & THE FUCKS
lp
(Red Lounge)

BACK IN STOCK! New Orleans craptastic punk rock / KBD / Bloodstains in your face. ""If you think Buck Biloxi & The Fucks are not rad in real life you need to snap out of that bullshit dream. "- Buck Biloxi

ICECROSS
s/t lp
(Rockadrome)
Reissue of legendary Icelandic Hard Rock lp!

OBNOX
Louder Space
lp
(12XU)

Amazing new garage murk lp from Bim & co! Punk rock, hip hop, woody haze!

ANTHOLOGY OF AMERICAN FOLK MUSIC
Vol 1-4 lps

Freakin' heavy duty reissues of these Harry Smith-compiled classics!

TALBOT ADAMS
s/t lp
(Spacecase)
What a nice album! Pop from the genius TALBOT! Up next on Spacecase- Dutch Masters lp!

PREDATOR
The Complete Earth lp
(Scavenger Of Death)
2nd full-length from Atlanta punk rockers. Mean, man!

VALERIE JUNE
Pushing Against A Stone lp/cd
(Concord)

New Memphis / NYC folk chanteuse as heard on David Letterman!

ROSS JOHNSON & JEFFREY EVANS
Vanity Session lp
(Spacecase)

Collossal collaboration from two Memphis blabbermouths... recorded with Jim Dickinson, who appears here often!

LEO WELCH
Sabougla Voices lp (Fat Possum)

Great raw gospel / trance blues- his set closing Gonerfest 10 started like this, kinda drifted off into Beale Street blues but this is what you want to hear!

POOKIE & THE POODLES
The Last Thing I Did As A Teenager lp
(Rubber Vomit)
Nobunny-esque goofy slop pop punk...

SID SELVIDGE
Cold Of The Morning

lp (Omnivore )
Reissue of the great Sid Selvidge's album recorded live in the studio with Jim Dickinson. Haunting stuff. RIP Sid.

MANATEEES
Seek Help
7"
(Total Punk)
Memphis' garage metal/??? mayhem masters with ABE CHARLOTTE AND KEITH!!!!

Goner Records Bulliten Board Goner Records Bulletin Board
 » Name  » Password 
Goner Message Board / Food & Drink / The WORST thing I've ever cooked
Alisa
Posted: Jan 10, 2010 7:26 pm    
And I even looked it up online!
I had some pork neckbones, and looked up how to cook them. The number one recipe said to put them in a pot, and pour a can of sauerkraut over them. Which I did.
That stuff was so nasty I threw it all out. There's only a handful of my cooking experiences over many long years that I've had to throw out.

So...what's the worst thing you've ever cooked?
Windy
Posted: Jan 11, 2010 12:16 pm    
Spaetzle from a box. I think we powered through it for part of a meal and then all gave up and threw the rest out. It was totally the recipe I concocted and not the actual spaetzle. Ugh.
Thee Gilded Chimera
Posted: Jan 11, 2010 12:59 pm    
One time I was at my buddy's cabin in the early spring. We were both really hungry, but the water wasn't turned on, so we had to boil spagehtti in beer. It was really gross. I took one bite and spit it out.
SSSSSSS
Posted: Jan 11, 2010 1:00 pm    
shoulda used pee.
Franny
Posted: Jan 11, 2010 1:03 pm    
And I even looked it up online!
I had some pork neckbones, and looked up how to cook them. The number one recipe said to put them in a pot, and pour a can of sauerkraut over them. Which I did.
That stuff was so nasty I threw it all out. There's only a handful of my cooking experiences over many long years that I've had to throw out.

So...what's the worst thing you've ever cooked?

VERY similar to my experience. I wanted to utilize my crockpot and I also used an online recipe. I threw in pork shoulder, sauerkraut, beer, potatoes and it was so fucking nasty. The beer pretty much boiled the pork and when I walked in my house that night it smelled like a big sauerkraut beer fart.
Miss Strange
Posted: Jan 11, 2010 2:26 pm    
This past Thanksgiving I made the same tried & true recipe that I make every year & it's usually fantastic. This year apparently my cheap ass roasting pan (good cook) apparently went bad. The non stick coating came off after the first use, but I still used it for years with no problems. This year however the drippings became infused with a overwhelming metallic rusty tin can flavor. I didn't taste the drippings before adding them to just about everything in that meal. or before adding the huge batch of stuffing to that same pan for baking. so needless to say the whole meal tasted like rust. Horrible.
Jesse Garon
Posted: Jan 11, 2010 4:29 pm    
ewwwwwwwwwwwwww on the 'kraut.
Alisa
Posted: Jan 11, 2010 7:04 pm    
it smelled like a big sauerkraut beer fart.
I won't go into detail about my farts from just a couple of bites...but, it was pretty shocking.
Glad to know I'm not the only one to fall into the trap of "online add sauerkraut" recipes!

And, Miss Strange, you win so far. Damn, on Thanksgiving!
deadcityrebel
Posted: Jan 11, 2010 7:24 pm    
grief stroganoff:
package of ramen
lb of ground beef
cream of mushroom soup.

i only eat it if i'm super desperate.
SSSSSSS
Posted: Jan 11, 2010 8:21 pm    
I LOVE that recipe. Except I do it up with some store brand egg noodles. Add as much sour cream as soup and a good sized onion.

My ex made some real Stroganoff once, but I still like the Strokenoff a little better.
Wire
Posted: Jan 11, 2010 8:37 pm    
Rice, beans, tomatoes, onions, sardines.
Wire
Posted: Jan 12, 2010 8:13 am    
Canned tuna, Grape Nuts, Italian dressing, warmed in the microwave
Joe
Posted: Jan 12, 2010 12:04 pm | Edited by: Joe    
Rice, beans, tomatoes, onions, sardines.

Doesn't sound too bad. I've never thought of going the mushroom soup route for stroganoff... I'll have to try that one of these days.
Joe Buddha
Posted: Jan 12, 2010 12:15 pm    
I tried to make falafel.
It was a nightmare. I ruined a friends cast iron skillet and set off the fire alarm about five times.

And, it was 5 am after a shift at the deli followed by a couple more hours of shots and beers. Not a good idea.
bruce
Posted: Jan 12, 2010 12:28 pm    
refresh for more fun
elle
Posted: Jan 12, 2010 3:13 pm    
i made some chicken breasts that i marinated in orange juice, then added some cinnamon to it for some stupid reason. it ended up being sickening sweet and gross. i was stoned like a total dumbass. bad ideas happen like that.

when i was a kid, i made some cookies. they were vile. i didn't have any flour and instead, used cornmeal. i didn't have any vanilla, so i used cherry flavoring. i wanted to dye them a different color too so i put red food coloring in it too. even cooked, they looked like a pile of raw hamburger meat because the corn meal was stone ground from an actual old timey mill. tasted HORRENDOUS. i was about 10 years old at that point, so i didn't know better. i got my ass beat for that too. my mom was pissed i wasted all the sugar and cornmeal and whatnot. hahah.
deadcityrebel
Posted: Jan 12, 2010 5:05 pm    
wow, bruce, that is wicked
Miss Strange
Posted: Jan 12, 2010 5:49 pm    
i made some chicken breasts that i marinated in orange juice, then added some cinnamon to it for some stupid reason

this reminds me of Little House On The Prairie. I seem to remember a couple episodes mentioning "cinnamon chicken" as Laura's specialty.

I don't think the orange juice/cinnamon sounds bad. makes me think of al pastor, just needs some chipotle or some other chilis.

I used to try to bake all of the time as a kid. Thought I was following the recipes, but they were always nasty. I figured it out in retrospect many years later that I was using the baking soda from the fridge. BAH! the taste of a years worth of leftovers...
Alisa
Posted: Jan 12, 2010 6:39 pm | Edited by: Alisa    
Yeah, that's awesome, bruce.

Elle brought to mind with the baking story the heretofore worst thing I ever cooked. I was just 20, and staying with my beloved in his brother's super cool 100+ year old house in Somerville. In the country...all in love...we decided to make fudge. Whoda thunk that his brother would have a whole canister of SALT. Jeesh, it looked just like sugar...

I hadn't thought of that in a long, long time.
dutch hercules
Posted: Jan 19, 2010 2:25 am    
once I fried an adopted baby.
Franny
Posted: Jan 19, 2010 12:41 pm    
I'm foraying into crock pot usage for the first time since my boiled beer sauerkraut fart pork experience. Has anyone ever used the Not Your Mother's Slow Cooker cookbook? It kind of scares me- a lot of the recipes look super bland.
rayultine
Posted: Jan 19, 2010 3:39 pm    
bruce, that link = tears of laughter in office.
littlemisslinda
Posted: Jan 22, 2010 1:23 pm    
I threw in some pecans making stir-fry. It was bitter as Hell, and I had people over that night.

I've always had bad experiences cooking and even baking with nuts, and unless the boss tells me to do it, I never will again.
littlemisslinda
Posted: Jan 22, 2010 1:28 pm    
this reminds me of Little House On The Prairie. I seem to remember a couple episodes mentioning "cinnamon chicken" as Laura's specialty.

It was that stupid Alonzo's favorite dish, and Laura fucked it all up because she was stupid too.

I bet if Nellie Olson made me cinnamon chicken I'd get an instant hard-on, but fish tacos are my favorite.
Miss Strange
Posted: Jan 22, 2010 7:42 pm    
It was that stupid Alonzo's favorite dish, and Laura fucked it all up because she was stupid too.

I cant believe I remember this, but Nellie hired Laura to make it for her date with Alonzo & tried to pass it off as her own cooking. So Laura being jealous, sabotaged the dish by switching the cinnamon with paprika.

I don't remember many episodes of that show, but for some reason that one stayed with me. it also left me with the falsehood that paprika is really spicy because they were acting like their mouths were on fire.
littlemisslinda
Posted: Jan 22, 2010 8:49 pm    
I cant believe I remember this, but Nellie hired Laura to make it for her date with Alonzo & tried to pass it off as her own cooking. So Laura being jealous, sabotaged the dish by switching the cinnamon with paprika.

I believe you're right!

I liked the episode where their adopted brother kept breaking into the Dr's office cuz he was on the "stuff".
Jack Stands
Posted: Jan 22, 2010 8:51 pm    
No. Liver and broccoli are the worst things you ever cooked. Shame on you.
elle
Posted: Jan 22, 2010 10:07 pm    
yeah apparently the chicken was too spicy for almanzo. what a wuss.
Alisa
Posted: Jan 23, 2010 3:54 pm    
but Nellie hired Laura to make it for her date with Alonzo & tried to pass it off as her own cooking. So Laura being jealous, sabotaged the dish by switching the cinnamon with paprika.

Wow, looks like I missed some good stuff being partial to The Waltons.

No. Liver and broccoli are the worst things you ever cooked. Shame on you.
Speaking of...when's the Goner Cookbook II coming out? I included my recipe for "Alisa's Nasty Southern Broccoli Casserole." That stuff's like candy. And I'm not even going to get into the liver with you, Jack. You're obviously a closet...something!
chandy
Posted: Jan 30, 2010 6:17 pm    
mr. t cereal and dr. pepper
Vinyl Ritchie
Posted: Feb 1, 2010 9:43 am    
I once though it would be a good idea to boil some pasta in guiness, why? I dont know...but it was a bitter-ass, awful, awful plate of pasta
littlemisslinda
Posted: Feb 1, 2010 6:47 pm | Edited by: littlemisslinda    
I once though it would be a good idea to boil some pasta in guiness, why?

Drunk............and high!
dustymedical
Posted: Feb 3, 2010 1:59 pm    
the worst thing i ever made, and had to throw out, was the first time i tried guacamole. i think i probably put 5x the needed amount of garlic. it was just fucking awful!
JimiHaze
Posted: Feb 4, 2010 4:58 pm    
I guess you can have too much garlic.... Never thought it possible.
Ria
Posted: Feb 5, 2010 6:48 pm    
I dont think you are supposed to put garlic in guacamole period.
Alisa
Posted: Apr 6, 2010 5:53 pm    
I topped myself last night.
I tried to make chicken gravy after I fried some (excellent) fried chicken. I'm never any good at it, but last night was the absolute WORST. How come mom can do it, and I can't?
There's an extra large cast iron skillet in there still full of the nastiest light brown goo you ever saw. I'm afraid of it, and can't figure out how in the world to dispose of it!
Tango Fistula
Posted: Apr 6, 2010 6:04 pm    
You have dogs?

Dump that mess into a big coffee can and stash some into their kibble every day until its gone.

They will be exstatic...and the evidence will be gone
Alisa
Posted: Apr 6, 2010 6:09 pm    
I do, I do have a dog!
That is a great idea. I don't have a big coffee can, but I'm sure I can figure something else out. Like another use for my favorite kitchen invention...the gallon size freezer bag.
Thanks!
carney
Posted: Apr 7, 2010 10:01 am    
I dont think you are supposed to put garlic in guacamole period.
Just a little, maybe one clove if you are going to make in in a molcajete.
Your answer
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  URL Link  Disable BB codes *What's this?

» Name  » Password 

victim of time

victim of time

By posting on this board you agree to these Terms Of Use

Page loading time (secs): 0.083