Available now!

EX CULT MIDNIGHT PASSENGER PRE-ORDER

EX-CULT
Midnight Passenger lp/cd
Coming April 29

GONER RECORD STORE DAY RELEASE
Ex-Cult
"Ties You Up" b/w "New Virtues" 7"
Be sure to bug your local retailer for these!
And swing by GONER for exclusive colored vinyl on Record Store Day - Saturday April !9
GONER RSD POSTER HERE

2nd Midtown Memphis Record Swap - Saturday May 10
Full-on Crosstown Arts Block Party with DJs, Beer, Third Man Mobile Store & More!
Plus OBLIVIANS that night at the Hi Tone! Dick Dale plays the night before!
Dealers get in touch!

Buck Biloxi & The Fucks - s/t lp (Red Lounge Records)

Icecross s/t lp (Rockadrome)

Obnox- Louder Space lp (12XU)

Anthology of American Folk Music Volume 3 lp (Mississippi)

Talbot Adams - s/t lp (Spacecase Records)
Predator - The Complete Earth lp (Scavenger of Death)

Valerie June - Pushin' Against A Stone cd (Concord)
Ross Johnson and Jeffrey Evans - Vanity Session lp (Spacecase ) Leo Welch - Sabougla Voices cd (Big Legal Mess)
Pookie & the Poodlez -The Last Thing I Did As a Teenager 12'
Sid Selvidge - The Cold of the Morning lp (Omnivore)

Manateees - Seek Help 7' (Total Punk)

BUCK BILOXI & THE FUCKS
lp
(Red Lounge)

BACK IN STOCK! New Orleans craptastic punk rock / KBD / Bloodstains in your face. ""If you think Buck Biloxi & The Fucks are not rad in real life you need to snap out of that bullshit dream. "- Buck Biloxi

ICECROSS
s/t lp
(Rockadrome)
Reissue of legendary Icelandic Hard Rock lp!

OBNOX
Louder Space
lp
(12XU)

Amazing new garage murk lp from Bim & co! Punk rock, hip hop, woody haze!

ANTHOLOGY OF AMERICAN FOLK MUSIC
Vol 1-4 lps

Freakin' heavy duty reissues of these Harry Smith-compiled classics!

TALBOT ADAMS
s/t lp
(Spacecase)
What a nice album! Pop from the genius TALBOT! Up next on Spacecase- Dutch Masters lp!

PREDATOR
The Complete Earth lp
(Scavenger Of Death)
2nd full-length from Atlanta punk rockers. Mean, man!

VALERIE JUNE
Pushing Against A Stone lp/cd
(Concord)

New Memphis / NYC folk chanteuse as heard on David Letterman!

ROSS JOHNSON & JEFFREY EVANS
Vanity Session lp
(Spacecase)

Collossal collaboration from two Memphis blabbermouths... recorded with Jim Dickinson, who appears here often!

LEO WELCH
Sabougla Voices lp (Fat Possum)

Great raw gospel / trance blues- his set closing Gonerfest 10 started like this, kinda drifted off into Beale Street blues but this is what you want to hear!

POOKIE & THE POODLES
The Last Thing I Did As A Teenager lp
(Rubber Vomit)
Nobunny-esque goofy slop pop punk...

SID SELVIDGE
Cold Of The Morning

lp (Omnivore )
Reissue of the great Sid Selvidge's album recorded live in the studio with Jim Dickinson. Haunting stuff. RIP Sid.

MANATEEES
Seek Help
7"
(Total Punk)
Memphis' garage metal/??? mayhem masters with ABE CHARLOTTE AND KEITH!!!!

Goner Records Bulliten Board Goner Records Bulletin Board
 » Name  » Password 
Goner Message Board / Food & Drink / becoming a regular
deadcityrebel
Posted: Dec 14, 2009 8:44 pm    
so there s a few places here in town i always go to, one of them, a little greasy spoon diner that has a customer base with the average age of about 68. i've been going on and off there for about 6 years now and i went in tonight, because they extended their hours to 7:00 pm (finally) and got a cheese burger. the waitress says to me, i'm just gonna charge you our lunchtime price, and i said, "oh, come on, you don't have to do that" and she says to me, "nah, its ok, YOU'RE ONE OF OUR REGULARS". i almost shit on their floor. the first time i ever went there i said to myself, this is the kinda place where i want to be a regular.

sorry for sounding like chico.
Windy
Posted: Dec 14, 2009 10:09 pm    
The same thing happened to me at Mike's downtown Memphis when I discovered I didn't have any cash on me and the waitress informed me she could just "put my ticket in the box". When I asked her what she meant she told me that regulars don't have to pay right away, but could just accumulate tickets and pay later.

(I don't think you sounded like chico, but what do I know)
SSSSSSS
Posted: Dec 15, 2009 9:56 am    
I just recently became a regular at the local Teriyaki joint. The Korean mom of the joint cut me off a couple pieces of the apple she was eating so I had something to snack on while waiting for my chicken bowl. She even says hi and runs back to the kitchen to tell the cook to get crackin' on my order before I even order it.

I'm still bummed that it's run by Koreans instead of Thais now, however. They took all the good soups off the menu.
finnark
Posted: Dec 15, 2009 2:00 pm    
My neighborhood tavern down the street will let me drink on a tab if I need to.

That's kinda nice. They usually have free food on Sundays too for all us football-watchin' drunks.
rich riggler
Posted: Dec 15, 2009 3:45 pm    
FOAD! Springsteen sucks!
Thee Gilded Chimera
Posted: Dec 20, 2009 3:45 pm    
Some of the bartenders at my usual watering hole will comp me every so often. Then I just tip a little more so I hardly even get a break in price.
rich riggler
Posted: Dec 21, 2009 3:32 pm    
The bartenders at the pub I go to give me every other pint free. Good dudes. But yeah, you end up just tipping them what you would've bought anyway.
jahna
Posted: Dec 21, 2009 4:03 pm    
The bartenders at the pub I go to give me

paying DJ gigs!

you end up just tipping them what you would've bought anyway.

That is the way it should be. Riggler, you're o.k.
SSSSSSS
Posted: Dec 21, 2009 10:36 pm    
Lisa used to cash my work checks at Hannigan's Tavern back in the day. Guess I had tabs there a couple times too. More taverns should also be banks!
JimiHaze
Posted: Dec 22, 2009 8:50 am    
More taverns should also be banks!

Totally agree!! Used to cash my check at a few bars when I worked 2nd shift. THey would always let me run a tab 'cause they knew where I was cashing my check on payday.
Thee Gilded Chimera
Posted: Dec 23, 2009 2:55 am    
I just got comped 3 cans of PBR. Of course, I felt obliged to kick down a 130% tip plus I gave 'em a bud. Regardless, it was nine dollars in savings.
rich riggler
Posted: Dec 23, 2009 1:00 pm    
The worst thing about being a regular is when you go in to a place when the uncool bartenders are working. They wouldn't buy one back from you if you sat there all night drinking and emptied your bank account. There's nothing worse than an uncool bartender.
Seamus
Posted: Dec 23, 2009 7:51 pm    
Lisa used to cash my work checks at Hannigan's Tavern back in the day.

Damn. You are old school.
Womb Raider
Posted: Dec 23, 2009 9:04 pm | Edited by: Womb Raider    
Here is a list of things I have done at the bar on the corner:

- Cashed a check for $800 when I was buying a car on a Sunday
- Purchased limes
- Walked in wearing a bathrobe on a Sunday morning, bought a screwdriver to-go
- Borrowed tables and chairs for parties at the house
- Had the manager pick me up a 30-pack of toilet paper because she was going to Sam's Club and I was running low
- Frequently walk in and return large stacks of their bar glasses, which seem to accumulate in my house
- countless six packs to go
- Once neglected to pay a $65 bartab and they didn't mention it for several weeks

beat that!!
deadcityrebel
Posted: Dec 24, 2009 1:25 am    
^pretty unbeatable.
SSSSSSS
Posted: Dec 24, 2009 11:07 am | Edited by: SSSSSSS    
3, 4, 5 and 6 seem beyond regular, you're pracally family!
JimiHaze
Posted: Dec 28, 2009 12:35 pm    
beat that!!

Can't

YOU WIN!!!
Joe Buddha
Posted: Dec 30, 2009 2:21 pm    
The bar across the street from my office is terrible. We go there about once a month, run up a good tab, and never EVER get one on the house. I bartended for years, and I am a good tipper. It pisses me off. So, I am usually there for one beer before I split if the company is not picking up the tab.
I miss being able to go behind bars and grab my own beers. I can't pull that shit up here. But, in memphis, there were several places where I could have some beers and mark my own tab.
deadcityrebel
Posted: Feb 12, 2010 2:20 am    
the owner of the place where i'm a regular comes out from behind the griddle to say hi now. last time i was there we had a discussion on the merits of party rock as opposed to sad music
hennypenny
Posted: Feb 13, 2010 1:53 pm    
But, in memphis,

I know this sentiment, too.
chicago kevin
Posted: Feb 16, 2010 5:26 pm    
i do my laundry at the place where i'm a regular. not a bad deal, the money i'd normally put in the laundromat's washing machines goes into the bartender's pocket instead. win-win.
Beer Joint
Posted: Mar 31, 2010 12:44 pm    
I'm a regular at a bar. When I get to drunk to walk, the owner lets me sleep on his couch. I have an outstanding 25 dollar tab I'm never going to pay...and when I don't have any money he lets me set up a tab, in appreciation I only drink pabst on those nights, usually untill I can't walk.
Your answer
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  URL Link  Disable BB codes *What's this?

» Name  » Password 

victim of time

victim of time

By posting on this board you agree to these Terms Of Use

Page loading time (secs): 0.072