7" out Now!

AUSMUTEANTS lp

AUSMUTEANTS
Great young Aussie
Punks - Synths + Snot!

UPCOMING EVENTS
Thursday August 28 The Clean, Boogarins, Nots HiTone
Friday August 29 TSOT, Lenguas Largas, White Night
Gonerfest 11 September 25-28 2014 more info here!

Ty Segall - Manipulator dbl lp (Drag City Records)

Sick Thoughts - Coming Over 7' (Going Underground Records)

Reigning Sound - Shattered lp (Merge)

Mascis, J - Tied To A Star lp (Sub Pop Records)

The Clean - Anthology 4 lp boxset (Merge Records)
Dutch Masters - All In The Wires lp (Spacecase)

Crime - Murder By Guitar lp (Superior Viaduct)

Grifers, The - Possible Obstructed View cdr (No Label)
Collins, Paul - Feel The Noise lp (Alive)
Golden Pelicans - s/t lp (Total Punk)
Sluts, the - 12' of Sluts 12' (Jeth-row/Race/Spread Um)

Ausmuteants - It's Alive Recorded Live On PBS cassette (In The S

TY SEGALL
Manipulator dbl lp/cd
Latest from Ty! Rockin stuff! ON SALE AT GONER! 23.99!

Catc

SICK THOUGHTS.
Coming Over 7"
(Going Underground)
The Real Baltimore underground returns with ANOTHER single... and it's great! Nasty post-Reatards bad attitude!
Goner single coming!

REIGNING SOUND
Shattered lp/cd
( Merge)

New frpm Greg Cartwright & Co- getting huge raves!

J MASCIS
Tied To A Star
lp (Sub Pop)

New from Dno man!

THE CLEAN
Anthology
4lp Box Set (Merge)
Most excellent NZ band's first albums!

PLAYING MEMPHIS THIS THURSDAY!!!

DUTCH MASTERS
All In The Wires lp
(Spacecase)
Eric O & Memphis/Oxford superstars archival blast!

CRIME
Murder By Guitar lp
(Superior Viaduct)

Greatest trash-punk band ever - all singles plus more!

GRIFTERS
Possible Obstructive View cdr
(no label)

Our heroes live! Great set, long set, worth it!

PAUL COLLINS
Feel The Noise
lp/cd
(Deadbeat)

Ex-Beat powerpopper for life never stops cranking out the hooks and the jams!

Coming to open Gonerfest 11!

GOLDEN PELICANS
s/t lp
(Total Punk)
Aussie Full-on Florida PUNK Rip your face off and dance on it!

COMING TO GONERFEST 11

SLUTS
12"s of Sluts lp

(Jeth-Row)
Reissue of GG-styled raw New Orleans punk rock!

AUSMUTEANTS
It's Alive - Live on PBS cassette
(In The Shit, IT)
Great live recording of Aussie wunde
rkids tearing it up. DRINK COOPERS!

Goner Records Bulliten Board Goner Records Bulletin Board
 » Name  » Password 
Goner Message Board / Food & Drink / do you parboil your chicken before you grill it?
Joe Diddley
Posted: May 27, 2008 11:43 am    
i just recently started doing this. i think it's the best way to keep it from burning on the outside.
arman
Posted: May 27, 2008 11:52 am    
how are you cooking them on the grill? you may want to let your coals cool a bit or use indirect heat.
Alisa
Posted: May 27, 2008 12:30 pm    
I grilled a whole chicken on the grill last night. I butterflyed it before I put it on the grill. It's really easy, just cut the backbone out with a pair of heavy kitchen shears, then turn it over and spread it out flat. Put it on the grill for just a minute skin side down, and then turn it over and continue to cook it covered (with cooled down coals) for about 45 mins or an hour.
It was super good.
carney
Posted: May 27, 2008 12:30 pm    
That the stupidest shit I've ever heard.
bigrockjoe
Posted: May 27, 2008 12:33 pm    
If I'm making something like bone-in jerk chicken with a marinade on it, I'll cook the chicken pieces covered with foil in the oven for about an hour at 350. That way they'll cook all the way through w/o getting dried out, and then I can finish them off on the grill. That way there's none of the juggling of getting too burnt on the outside but not done all the way through.
arman
Posted: May 27, 2008 12:40 pm    
i have done the butterfly thing before, but pretty much stick to putting the bird on the grill and forgetting about it for and hour. i did try this though: get a potato or 2 and cube them up then douse in olive oil, salt, pepper, rosemary etc etc and stuff it inside the cavity then cook it. when the bird cooks the taters get warm enough to steam and season (but not to eat - chuck them when done cooking) the inside of the bird and keep it nice and moist.
Windy
Posted: May 27, 2008 1:03 pm    
indirect heat! (put your coals in a pile as far away from the meat as possible ) let it sweat and apply a good rub before cooking, injectable marinade, sit in on top of a can of beer slow cook at low temp (225) - should be crispy on the outside tender and juicy on the inside.
saint sarah
Posted: May 27, 2008 1:08 pm    
I have not done this thing you speak of. However, the Irish propritess of the local watering hole told me how she makes her "Whiskey River Chicken legs." It involves boiling chicken legs and then trowing them in a serving dish filled with whiskey and kraft bbq suace. Sounds gross, but they taste pretty good.
elle
Posted: May 27, 2008 1:24 pm    
nope. i just marinate it in beer and some hot sauce and spices for a while and it comes out fine. (this is for bbq chicken though. for other ways, i do other things and marinate them differently.)

fuck boiling. the only time i ever boil chicken is when i boil chicken breasts (in broth) to make chicken salad.
arman
Posted: May 27, 2008 1:26 pm    
indirect heat!

wait, didn't you burn hot dogs?????
Alisa
Posted: May 27, 2008 2:10 pm    

Well, damn! I thought my newfound Food Network fascination had come in handy!
It WAS good, and seemed to cook more evenly!
arman
Posted: May 27, 2008 2:12 pm    
the butterflying thing also cuts down cooking time.
Alisa
Posted: May 27, 2008 2:16 pm    
It also looks cool.
The Troll
Posted: May 27, 2008 2:47 pm    
Parboiling is gross! If you're using a whole bird, half it and pound it a bit (like Alisa said) so it's a uniform thickness (i.e. it will cook more uniformly). Brine the fuck out of the bird, like 4 - 12 hours in something. Brining will keep the chook moist and will shorten grilling time. I brine just about everything these days, except brisket. Indirect heat is crucial. If you are using a regular grill, start the coals like normal and then spread them out and place a disposable pie tin on the bottom. Cook the bird over the tin. Sheesh!
carney
Posted: May 27, 2008 3:54 pm    
That was referring to the parboiling...
carney
Posted: May 27, 2008 3:55 pm | Edited by: carney    
I grilled a whole chicken on the grill last night. I butterflyed it before I put it on the grill. It's really easy, just cut the backbone out with a pair of heavy kitchen shears, then turn it over and spread it out flat. Put it on the grill for just a minute skin side down, and then turn it over and continue to cook it covered (with cooled down coals) for about 45 mins or an hour.
It was super good.

that's not stupid, the technical term is spatchcocking. Works great witha turkey, you can grill one in about an hour and a half.
skank police
Posted: May 27, 2008 4:07 pm    
spatchcocking

I thought that was when you forget to oil your pan before you fry up a penis...
Alisa
Posted: May 27, 2008 4:18 pm    
That was referring to the parboiling...
Well, that's a relief!
And, "spatchcocking" it will be forever referred to around here everafter.
Nice!
skank police
Posted: May 27, 2008 4:22 pm    
Works great witha turkey, you can grill one in about an hour and a half.

That is awesome, gotta try!
Windy
Posted: May 27, 2008 6:30 pm    
wait, didn't you burn hot dogs?????

that's beside the point. I've made that chicken several times on a grill that was already prepared for me. I'm just in the middle of the learning curve of preparing the grill myself.

the chicken breasts and potatoes I made tonight turned out delish!
bradx
Posted: May 27, 2008 6:47 pm    
never.
Theresa K
Posted: May 27, 2008 8:00 pm    
"spatchcocking"

its hysterical watching the old julia child shows where she shows you how she does this - just to hear her say "spatchcocking" is a laff riot, i don't know why
dale
Posted: May 27, 2008 8:09 pm    
Parboiling chicken. What?
The Driver
Posted: May 29, 2008 9:08 am    
I'd never heard of this until I dated a woman who catered. The chicken was real good, but I always figured it had to more to do with ensuring evenly cooked bird as well as cutting down the on-site prep time.

I myself, will admit to parboiling potatoes (and onions) before grilling.
dale
Posted: May 29, 2008 9:35 pm    
I myself, will admit to parboiling potatoes (and onions) before grilling

Understood when it comes to potatoes cuz the can be some stubborn bastards sometimes.
bradx
Posted: May 30, 2008 1:31 am    
wtf with onions though?
potatoes i'll soak in cold water overnight sometimes but not boil
arman
Posted: May 30, 2008 6:39 am    
don't even parboil potatoes. season/oil, wrap in foil with a vent and place directly over hot coals. done.
The Driver
Posted: May 30, 2008 9:16 am    
wtf with onions though?

Same principle: trying to avoid them being all dried up and burnt on the outside, still raw on the inside (hot coals, direct heat)
carney
Posted: May 30, 2008 10:15 am    
Same principle: trying to avoid them being all dried up and burnt on the outside, still raw on the inside (hot coals, direct heat)

Try slicing them, duh.
The Driver
Posted: May 30, 2008 10:34 am    
Try slicing them, duh.

What? I can't barbecue a whole Spanish onion - damn! Seriously, most kebab recipes will have you parboil the onions before brushing with oil and skewering. They end up a little sweeter and less harsh.
Joe Diddley
Posted: May 30, 2008 3:37 pm    
i have a gas grill. should i just cook the chicken on low? i'm into boneless thighs.
arman
Posted: May 30, 2008 4:37 pm    
just turn on one side of the burner (like med or a touch hotter). put moist hickory pieces in foil and put those over the flame. then put the meat opposite the burner.
arman
Posted: May 30, 2008 4:38 pm    
you might want to sear the meat over the hot side first as well.
Theresa K
Posted: May 30, 2008 4:54 pm    
ONIONS on grill (i do this every day)

2 ways for whole onions

1) trim off stem ends. core out that tough/inedible thingie at the stem end. slather w/ olive oil. wrap in heavy duty foil w/ an ice cube. put on grill. ice cube helps create steam inside foil packet

2) cut big onion in half. slather with olive oil.
if you have the kind of grill with a "shelf" rack about the grilling rack, put the onion there - you know - the rack where you put buns and stuff to get warm when you are making burgers?
OR
set the onion off to the side to get indirect heat.
you will get carmelization - just start it a bit earlier than your burgers or whatever and WATCH IT!

just about every night these past few weeks, i've been grilling a 1 pound "flat iron steak" that's been marinated in a soy/wasabi/ginger/garlic blend. also grill a big vidalia onion (method #2 described above). i put the onion on the top rack thingie, close the cover on the grill and smoke the onion for a while. then i put on the steak. i smoke that too. cook til it reads 90 degrees, then put on some gorgonzola crumbles, cover the grill and cook to 100 degrees. take steak off grill, cover w/ foil and let rest for 15 minutes. take onion off after steak has rested. i get a lovely smoke ring & everything on the steak - and its wonderfully rare
carney
Posted: May 30, 2008 5:03 pm    
i have a gas grill. should i just cook the chicken on low? i'm into boneless thighs.
Do what ARman said. Sear the chicken, lid up, so the skin will get a nice crust and then move it to the cooler side of the grill to finish slowly, lid down. Otherwise, pund them out to a thinner thickness and then they will will grill quickly and evenly.

grill= hot direct heat
smoke= low indirect heat
bbq=its a noun not a verb
Joe Diddley
Posted: May 30, 2008 5:20 pm    
i'll give that a try. thanks! i still dont know what's so bad about the parboil. the last chicken i made that way was was perfect.
carney
Posted: May 30, 2008 6:27 pm    
Its not necesary and it takes away from the smokey goodness. I cook outside in the summer so my house doesn't get all heated up by the stove.
T J Honeysuckle
Posted: Jun 14, 2008 9:24 pm    
Parboiling is only good for potatoes and other vegies you plan to roast. The end.
Theresa K
Posted: Jun 14, 2008 9:32 pm    
other vegies

collard greens.
because i make them using the gay french technique
they are not your granny's collards

make chiffonade of collards - and make sure you remove the thick, woody center rib!

blanche in boiling water that has been salted and acidulated - with vinegar or lemon juice.

take out, sit them in a bowl

make pot likker (i chop a few strips of bacon and sweat onions in that, salt, pepper, white wine, maple syrup, butter, water, let it bubble a bit), dump in greens, add water to cover. cook like crazy on a simmer til they are soft.

sometimes, i slice up an onion (vidalia) that i've smoked over hickory chips. i don't like using a ham hock because it kind of freaks me out to play with it. i love the taste, but bacon is pretty much as close as i get... when other people cook w/ ham hocks, i'm all for it. i just don't like messing with that particular piece o the pig
Your answer
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  URL Link  Disable BB codes *What's this?

» Name  » Password 

victim of time

By posting on this board you agree to these Terms Of Use

Page loading time (secs): 0.087