Available now!

EX CULT MIDNIGHT PASSENGER PRE-ORDER

EX-CULT
Midnight Passenger lp/cd
Coming April 29

GONER RECORD STORE DAY RELEASE
Ex-Cult
"Ties You Up" b/w "New Virtues" 7"
Be sure to bug your local retailer for these!
And swing by GONER for exclusive colored vinyl on Record Store Day - Saturday April !9
GONER RSD POSTER HERE

2nd Midtown Memphis Record Swap - Saturday May 10
Full-on Crosstown Arts Block Party with DJs, Beer, Third Man Mobile Store & More!
Plus OBLIVIANS that night at the Hi Tone! Dick Dale plays the night before!
Dealers get in touch!

Buck Biloxi & The Fucks - s/t lp (Red Lounge Records)

Icecross s/t lp (Rockadrome)

Obnox- Louder Space lp (12XU)

Anthology of American Folk Music Volume 3 lp (Mississippi)

Talbot Adams - s/t lp (Spacecase Records)
Predator - The Complete Earth lp (Scavenger of Death)

Valerie June - Pushin' Against A Stone cd (Concord)
Ross Johnson and Jeffrey Evans - Vanity Session lp (Spacecase ) Leo Welch - Sabougla Voices cd (Big Legal Mess)
Pookie & the Poodlez -The Last Thing I Did As a Teenager 12'
Sid Selvidge - The Cold of the Morning lp (Omnivore)

Manateees - Seek Help 7' (Total Punk)

BUCK BILOXI & THE FUCKS
lp
(Red Lounge)

BACK IN STOCK! New Orleans craptastic punk rock / KBD / Bloodstains in your face. ""If you think Buck Biloxi & The Fucks are not rad in real life you need to snap out of that bullshit dream. "- Buck Biloxi

ICECROSS
s/t lp
(Rockadrome)
Reissue of legendary Icelandic Hard Rock lp!

OBNOX
Louder Space
lp
(12XU)

Amazing new garage murk lp from Bim & co! Punk rock, hip hop, woody haze!

ANTHOLOGY OF AMERICAN FOLK MUSIC
Vol 1-4 lps

Freakin' heavy duty reissues of these Harry Smith-compiled classics!

TALBOT ADAMS
s/t lp
(Spacecase)
What a nice album! Pop from the genius TALBOT! Up next on Spacecase- Dutch Masters lp!

PREDATOR
The Complete Earth lp
(Scavenger Of Death)
2nd full-length from Atlanta punk rockers. Mean, man!

VALERIE JUNE
Pushing Against A Stone lp/cd
(Concord)

New Memphis / NYC folk chanteuse as heard on David Letterman!

ROSS JOHNSON & JEFFREY EVANS
Vanity Session lp
(Spacecase)

Collossal collaboration from two Memphis blabbermouths... recorded with Jim Dickinson, who appears here often!

LEO WELCH
Sabougla Voices lp (Fat Possum)

Great raw gospel / trance blues- his set closing Gonerfest 10 started like this, kinda drifted off into Beale Street blues but this is what you want to hear!

POOKIE & THE POODLES
The Last Thing I Did As A Teenager lp
(Rubber Vomit)
Nobunny-esque goofy slop pop punk...

SID SELVIDGE
Cold Of The Morning

lp (Omnivore )
Reissue of the great Sid Selvidge's album recorded live in the studio with Jim Dickinson. Haunting stuff. RIP Sid.

MANATEEES
Seek Help
7"
(Total Punk)
Memphis' garage metal/??? mayhem masters with ABE CHARLOTTE AND KEITH!!!!

Goner Records Bulliten Board Goner Records Bulletin Board
 » Name  » Password 
Goner Message Board / Food & Drink / Best Pizza in YOUR town????
fierydrunk
Posted: Oct 24, 2006 10:11 pm    
Portland, Oregon: Apizza Scholls
Juan Kerr
Posted: Oct 25, 2006 1:10 am    
I haven't been to Scholls, but I hear it's great.

When we need pizza, we order from Stark Naked Pizza. It's damn good, and I'm a pizza snob of the highest degree.

... also in Portland, OR.
fierydrunk
Posted: Oct 25, 2006 1:23 am    
Seriously the pizza is religious. If you don't wanna wait an hour, get there at opening (around 5PM). They run out of dough every night, sometimes very early, so yeah, we always go around opening. Hollis proposed to me there with "MARRY ME?" in fresh basil on the Margherita pizza.
Preparation X
Posted: Oct 25, 2006 2:33 am    
Picklefish Pizza in Mobile, AL
we have shows there sometimes too.
the white chicken pizza is awesome
fierydrunk
Posted: Oct 25, 2006 2:40 am    
My brother, sister-in-law and nephew just moved there. I wil have to let them know to check out the pizza.
carney
Posted: Oct 25, 2006 2:51 am    
Slim pickin's round here for pizza. Conans is passable. Haven't tried eastside pies yet, hear they're good.
Juan Kerr
Posted: Oct 25, 2006 3:45 am    
Papa John's is nasty. The sauce tastes like it's 50% corn syrup.

I too worked at a pizza place during the Super Bowl when it was at Stanford in '85. It was fucking hectic. We ended up just taking the phones off the hook.
Wire
Posted: Oct 25, 2006 4:08 am    
Shocking no one in Memphis has a candidate...pizza sucks in this town.
Last place I lived...best pizza was the place at McDermott & Highway 5 in Allen north of Dallas...cheese only, everything else was garbage, but that was one wonderful piece of pizza.
fierydrunk
Posted: Oct 25, 2006 4:24 am    
I don't think the Tampa Bay area has a good pizza either, but hopefully I am wrong. They have a fancy schmancy Italian restaurant in St. Pete that has wood oven pizzas so that might have to do. I am spoilt.
Juan Kerr
Posted: Oct 25, 2006 4:51 am    
I made a damn good pie at home tonite.

Pizza stone
500 degree oven
Dough from Trader Joe's
Red pesto/some other sauce from TJ's
Mozzarella
Red bell/onion/leftover asparagus
Molinari Toscana Salami
Razor A Go Go
Posted: Oct 25, 2006 4:56 am    
The best pizza in Louisville in is Indiana.
deadcityrebel
Posted: Oct 25, 2006 7:20 am    
nicolitalia. really oily and garlicky. best canoli ever according to margaroxor. she says its comparable to italian canoli.
Rumpleforeskin
Posted: Oct 25, 2006 1:38 pm    
Pizza in Memphis does suck mightily. There's a place in Southaven at Airways and Goodman that 's nearly decent. The best pizza I ever had was at St. Marks Pizza in Greenwich Village. It was godlike.
Rumpleforeskin
Posted: Oct 25, 2006 1:42 pm    
Milano's
colin
Posted: Oct 25, 2006 3:01 pm    
I havent had it but my brother says that Donnie Bruscos (sp??) is pretty good. I think its a chain of "new york style" pizza. I think its in the suburbs, Cordova or somewhere. I personally think that the Brooklyn Bridge has the best pizza in town. For those that dont know where that is, its in a cluster of stuff at the corner of Kirby Pkwy. and Poplar just north of Poplar. The buildings sort of have a "new orleans" look to them worught iron etc.. Its a little pricy but I swear they have a pizza that has italian spinach and ricotta cheese on it thats damn good. Call one in and go pick it up...good stuff!! Not greasy and the crust is awesome.
flesheater99
Posted: Oct 25, 2006 3:16 pm    
Grimaldi's.
bruce
Posted: Oct 25, 2006 3:36 pm    
i second milanos(are there more than one? out near wolf chase?) i like pizza kitchen alright but thin crust gets old
fierydrunk
Posted: Oct 25, 2006 3:40 pm    
I hate thick crust--I like me some thin crust with a big bubbly "handle" of crust on the end.

C'mon people! More suggestions! We are driving cross-country in a few months and need to know these things!

(I am starting a Best Road Food now)
Hugh Jass
Posted: Oct 25, 2006 8:42 pm    
The less said about Bay Area pizza in general, the better. However, for "regular" pizza, Arinell is quite good. Also, for deep dish/Chicago style pizza, the pies at Zachary's in Rockridge and Chicago Pizza in Berkeley are actually pretty freaking awesome and better than a couple of places I've tried in Chicago.
carney
Posted: Oct 25, 2006 8:45 pm    
St. Marks Pizza in Greenwich Village. It was godlike.

Indeed it was. They closed down a couple of years back. sob.
cthort
Posted: Oct 25, 2006 9:14 pm    
The original Milano's was in the Raleigh Springs Mall for years. Is it still there? I remember one of the Sicilian brothers only had one hand. His tossing style was unmatched!
eric o
Posted: Oct 25, 2006 9:26 pm    
har har!
conner sewer
Posted: Oct 25, 2006 9:57 pm    
Its Johnny Bruscos and they're pretty good. I had Milanos once, also pretty good but expensive. I think that there are a couple of locations around town. Lots of my old friends swore by Broadway... I dunno I had it once and I didn't think it was that great AND I was stoned so I'm guessing not so much. While in Chicago we got pizza but the guys the other band were staying with gave us what I believe to be a subpar recommendation. They said deepdish was overrated and we had a pretty good albeit pretty normal pizza at some forgettable eatery. Then my buddy goes two weeks later and comes back just raving about the deep dish pizza he had. At least I got to go to the Weiner Circle! Although I must say that their cheese fries were fucking terrible. Back to the topic, I think I need to go this Brooklyn Bridge place. And I never made it to Pie in the Sky. Was/ is it any good? Didn't it close down?
Rumpleforeskin
Posted: Oct 25, 2006 11:07 pm    
I've had people in Memphis tell me that Exline's Best Pizza in Town was good. I tried it three times at different locations and it is the worst I've ever had. Absolutely awful.
fierydrunk
Posted: Oct 26, 2006 12:10 am    
I was really hoping they had the gall to name it "Donnie Brasco's".
Juan Kerr
Posted: Oct 26, 2006 12:43 am    
Pizza Pop/Serrano's in SF is really good. 22nd and Lexington, in the Mission.

I used to eat there at least 4 times a week.
leftpeg
Posted: Oct 26, 2006 2:12 am    
Fiery, I've heard good things about Apizza Scholls too, but the few times I have tried to go there they have been out of pizza already, so I'll take your word for it, but at this point as I don't live near it I've pretty much given up on ever eating there.

I used to go to Pizza Pop too, but I haven't been to bay area in so long that I can't remember if I thought it was any good or not.
fierydrunk
Posted: Oct 26, 2006 2:27 am    
Like I said, you must go around opening to be absolutely sure to get it, unfortunately, but fortunately too...don't completely blow it off. I think we may end up getting the clam pizza next time (Hollis bday).
Juan Kerr
Posted: Oct 26, 2006 2:45 am    
I used to go to Pizza Pop too, but I haven't been to bay area in so long that I can't remember if I thought it was any good or not.

I ate there so much, I still remember the phone number, and I haven't lived there in five years. (415-695-1615)
dtrain
Posted: Oct 26, 2006 2:59 am    
All of it! yummmmmmmmm!
Miss Faye
Posted: Oct 26, 2006 5:37 am    
I've had people in Memphis tell me that Exline's Best Pizza in Town was good. I tried it three times at different locations and it is the worst I've ever had. Absolutely awful.
It IS fucking nasty. That, Coletta's and Broadway too. I like Memphis Pizza Cafe and Fino's. Fino's also keeps some frozen ones that you can buy. The sausage is good. My favorite pizza ever is Waldo Pizza in KC, MO. I think there's provolone in the cheese mix--that's the secret to good pizza if you ask me. Fino's has it too.
junior
Posted: Oct 26, 2006 3:42 pm    
martinis. downside is when the crazed man who works there calls you a thief and bashes your head with a saxaphone
Rumpleforeskin
Posted: Oct 26, 2006 4:21 pm    
I love the current Dominos commercial with the grandma in the car trunk. I laugh every time I see it. Their pizza still sucks though.
colin
Posted: Oct 26, 2006 5:27 pm    
I grew up on the BBQ pizza at Broadway so I still crave that sometimes...I think its canned Q though really sweet. I think Colettas is way overated. Cool "out of the way" place I guess but there food is pretty gross. That BBQ pizza they have is kinda tasteless and the pile sliced banana peppers all over it. I like sliced banana peppers but not all over a BBQ pizza. Colettas is also dirty as shit so theres no tellin what your takin down.
StruttinSutton
Posted: Oct 26, 2006 8:09 pm    
Boiler Market....pizza and a pitcher for $9.99!
Mandible
Posted: Oct 26, 2006 8:50 pm    
Slim pickin's round here for pizza. Conans is passable. Haven't tried eastside pies yet, hear they're good.

Have you tried Rounders on 6th? It wasn't, like, phenomenal or anything, but I think it might have been the best I've had in Austin (which, as you noted, is not saying much).
Mandible
Posted: Oct 26, 2006 8:51 pm    
Houston is not a great pizza town either, but I like in no particular order:

Star Pizza (good whole wheat dough, good quality toppings)
La Dolce Vita (good traditional Italian style pies)
Ponzo's (Decent New York Style)
Joe
Posted: Oct 26, 2006 9:13 pm    
clam pizza

Fiery, if for some reason your north enough to make it to New Haven, CT- go to Pepe's Pizzeria and get the white pie. Absolutely the best pizza I've ever eaten anywhere. Grimaldi's in Brooklyn is up there, too. Haven't been able to get to Apizza yet, but I wanna and have no doubts about what they're serving.

I also like Pizza A Go Go for close-in "normal" style pies.
Randal
Posted: Oct 26, 2006 11:56 pm    
Memphis does have some nasty pizza, but Johnny Brusco's, and Fire & Stone are both pretty good. The thin crust at Jimmy's Hot Dogs in Bartlett is excellent (the thick crust is too bready for my tastes). Ciao Bella isn't bad either.
fierydrunk
Posted: Oct 27, 2006 1:04 am    
Pizza a Go Go has really good "regular" slices.
d diggler
Posted: Oct 27, 2006 3:25 am    
okay we already been through this a hundred times but we all know what a repetitive bore fiery is so i'll humor her (how are those polks holdin up???). the best pizza is in new haven at pepe's an solly's. juke boxes w/ sinatra (actually sinatra stayed above one of em in the 50's when he was ex-communicated for a couple of years) an soda in bottles. nothin beats it. next up is sal's in mamaroneck, ny. best sicilian you'll ever have. joe torre picks up two reg pies every sunday night. in nyc, i love v an t on amsterdam an 112th st. great cheesecake too. then downtown you got john's on bleeker (becks on tap!!!) an i forget the name of it but that place that used to be on the corner of bleeker an carmine that moved half a block over to 6th ave. i always go there for slices. home of the $20 pie. only in new york. pizza rules!!!
fierydrunk
Posted: Oct 27, 2006 3:49 am    
I haven't even taken them out of their cute little box.

How you been? No, I don't mean that, do I?
carney
Posted: Oct 27, 2006 4:14 am    
Have you tried Rounders on 6th
It's not bad. Austin Pizza Garden is a little better, but it's out in Oak Hill.
Mandible
Posted: Oct 27, 2006 4:26 pm    
got john's on bleeker (becks on tap!!!)

I've been there, that place is awesome. So damn good. Damn, you're making me hungry.

Austin Pizza Garden is a little better, but it's out in Oak Hill.

I haven't tried that one; I'll have to remember it.
No Big Thing
Posted: Oct 27, 2006 4:28 pm    
Star Pizza (good whole wheat dough, good quality toppings)

I could really go for a cold slice of a Joe's or Starburst right now.
Mandible
Posted: Oct 27, 2006 5:21 pm    
I could really go for a cold slice of a Joe's or Starburst right now.

No doubt about it.
bazooka joe
Posted: Oct 27, 2006 5:33 pm    
When visiting Venice, CA go to Abbott Kinney Pizza.
lula pee
Posted: Oct 28, 2006 1:57 am    
Adriatico's (new york style)
Hounddog's (ghetto fabulous style). Order: Four Cheese w/ Smokin' Joe's crust (olive oil, garlic, parmesan crust) with Howlin' Hot sauce. Add toppings as desired.
Rofini's (suburb square cut goodness)
jerryd
Posted: Oct 28, 2006 3:02 am | Edited by: jerryd    
Colettas is also dirty as shit so theres no tellin what your takin down.

Yeah, that place is pretty nasty. Has anyone had the pizza at Little Italy( old cupboard) on Union? Thinking about going there Sunday, so if anybody has any info on this place, give it up.
d diggler
Posted: Oct 28, 2006 3:03 am    
there should be some kinda club like the kiss army for pizza it rules so much. like you would send away an get a patch an stuff an you could put it on your jean jacket along w/ yer alarm clocks pin an yer mono man rules!!! t shirt. they should let me be president. i got a lotta ideas...
fierydrunk
Posted: Oct 28, 2006 3:16 am    
I am dreading the pizza in Florida...they gave that hippie chain Mellow Mushroom a good review in their weekly: "THANK GOD MELLOW MUSHROOM CAME TO TOWN!!!!" I really hope there is some hidden gem; some old Italian dudes making up the goodness. If any Floridians know the secrets, please give them up.
d diggler
Posted: Oct 28, 2006 3:21 am | Edited by: d diggler    
when i went to see the alarm clocks at south paw this summer in park slope i was starvin an went to two places an the pizza was so disgustin i was gettin sick just lookin at it. then there was another place thst had decent lookin upscale pizza but they only sold $20 pies. again only in new york. i don't think i could live in park slope. thanks a lot tom douche. next time i see the alarm clocks im havein some pizza.
fierydrunk
Posted: Oct 28, 2006 4:47 am    
Nah, they do that "only $20+ pies" thing here too. Thing is, a coupla those places are way worth it in terms of superiority, but then again, we aren't in NY, home of the killer slice action.
Miss Faye
Posted: Oct 28, 2006 7:37 am    
Ciao Bella isn't bad either.
It is pretty good. Sliced sausage!
Theresa K
Posted: Oct 28, 2006 7:41 am    
the worst thing about that part of park slope where southpaw is happens to be the embarrassing lack of pizza... that's for damn sure.

my fave pizza in nyc is the place across the street (diagonally) from arlene grocery
Hugh Jass
Posted: Oct 28, 2006 11:49 pm    
my fave pizza in nyc is the place across the street (diagonally) from arlene grocery
Do you mean Rosario's on Orchard? That pizza is killer.

I am dreading the pizza in Florida
They have really good pizza in Ft. Lauderdale, due to all the New Yorkers that moved down there. (And the amazing Primanti Bros. from Pittsburgh even has a store down there.) It might be the same in the Tampa area for all I know.
fierydrunk
Posted: Oct 28, 2006 11:52 pm    
That is true with all the snowbirds from the NE...there are a surprising # of decent restaurants in the area, so I'll do a little search and see.
elle
Posted: Oct 29, 2006 4:04 am    
Exline's Best Pizza in Town

their pizza is fucking nasty.

Adriatico's (new york style)

i used to love their pizza when i was in cincinnati, but i usually opted for pomodori since i lived right down the street.

as far as memphis pizza is concerned, i'm really not the biggest fan of any places around here, although that johnny brusco's place is pretty good. those garlic knots are freakin' great there too. drenched in garlic butter. for shizzle.
Theresa K
Posted: Oct 29, 2006 8:29 am    
Do you mean Rosario's on Orchard? That pizza is killer.

yeah - that's the place.... i always refer to it in my mind as Sal's because Sal is the guy who owns the place. thank you for knowing the name
d diggler
Posted: Oct 29, 2006 11:49 pm    
an i don't discriminate about pizza. i dig it all. neopolitan, sicilian, deep dish, dominos or pizza hut in a pinch. whatever. i'd rather eat pizza than just about anything else. except the breakfast special at denny's. pizza rules!!!
Windy
Posted: Oct 30, 2006 12:04 am    
didn't quite read all the entries but my faves in memphis are:

Little Italy
Donnie Brusco's
and NY Pizza Cafe in bartlett (original location)

Always loved milanos - they still have one in the strip mall near the bartlett malco (which is a $2.50 theatre) but maybe I just love it because it reminds me of sneaking to the Raleigh springs mall.
d diggler
Posted: Oct 30, 2006 2:37 pm    
it's no coincidence that dee dee's only lines in rock an roll high school are mmm, pizza!!! an what other food goes so well w/ beer??? i can eat pizza any time of the day or the night. pizza rules!!!
bruce
Posted: Oct 30, 2006 2:54 pm    
Always loved milanos - they still have one in the strip mall near the bartlett malco (which is a $2.50 theatre) but maybe I just love it because it reminds me of sneaking to the Raleigh springs mall.

yeah, this is the one that i go to, right across the street from work, really good calzones as well
Lester Jepsen
Posted: Dec 30, 2009 10:18 pm    
The Pie- Salt lake C
Vinyl Ritchie
Posted: Dec 31, 2009 12:44 am    
I know a lot of folks will disagree, as it is kind of an acquired taste...but my favorite Pizza in Memphis is Fox Ridge Pizza. I grew up on it, been eatin it since I was 7 years old...and I have never had any other pizza like it anywhere. Too bad they moved out to Cordova(used to be on Knight Arnold/Ridgeway), but the Pizza is still badass....thick, biscuit-like crust and not shy on the toppings..in fact if you get green olives they just throw 'em on there whole, not even sliced...looks like ya got green marbles all over your pizza. Nothin better than a loaded pie and a couple pitchers of beer there. Love it.
STUNGUN
Posted: Dec 31, 2009 11:15 am    
Escape From New York Pizza in NW Portland kills all.
rich riggler
Posted: Dec 31, 2009 12:45 pm    
The place on Carmine Street and 6th Avenue I love is Joe's Pizza. And they've really stepped up their game in the last few months. Top of my list now.
Windy
Posted: Dec 31, 2009 3:43 pm    
Heh - last time I posted I forgot to add exlines out in Frayser.

The best pizza in my current town has got to be the joint down the road from me - Nantucket Baking Co.
Joe Buddha
Posted: Jan 1, 2010 2:50 pm    
Escape From New York Pizza in NW Portland kills all.

Seconded. My friend's dad used to own computerland back in the 80's. There was a store right by Escape from NY. i was like 12 years old and would marvel at the size of the slices. Awesome stuff.
deadcityrebel
Posted: Jan 1, 2010 6:01 pm    
The Pie- Salt lake C
I'D RATHER EAT DOGSHIT.
in SLC, este is about the only good pizza place unless you want fancy pants sette bello. but sette bello ain't real pizza.
STUNGUN
Posted: Jan 2, 2010 10:57 am    
Any of you PDXer's ever had Wy'East Pizza- the cart out on se 50th?. Unbelievable!

And if you're a fan of cornmeal crust try Dove Vivi.
littlemisslinda
Posted: Jan 3, 2010 2:16 pm    
burger king
littlemisslinda
Posted: Jan 3, 2010 2:23 pm    
burger king
Joe Buddha
Posted: Jan 4, 2010 9:37 am    
Does Silver Dollar Pizza still exist in PDX?

And, I woudl kill for some Round Table right about now. I know, not the best ever, but I loved that shit.
Juan Kerr
Posted: Jan 4, 2010 7:15 pm    
Had a great pie from Stark Naked Pizza last night.
saispas
Posted: Jan 4, 2010 8:38 pm    
I haven't had a GREAT pizza in Memphis yet. The Pizze Stone was awful/weird, unfortunately. Still haven't tried NY Pizza Cafe or Johnnie Bruscos...the Pizza Cafe (East) is OK from time to time & I liked Brooklyn Bridge alright...still no real "NY Style".
chickenboneneckbone
Posted: Jan 4, 2010 9:29 pm    
memphis

little italy pizza on union
levoro's
milano's
wise guys in horn lake (deep dish)
russo's ny pizzeria
Matto
Posted: Jan 5, 2010 12:44 am    
Had a great pie from Stark Naked Pizza last night.

Man...I've given that place a coupla tries and did NOT dig it at all....heard great stuff about Apizza Scholls and Ken's, but I can't wait in those fucking lines., been meaning to get to Dove Vivi tho....Nizarios was my fave bay area slice..used to stop by the one at Geary and 3rd ave a lot..
Jack Stands
Posted: Jan 5, 2010 1:19 am    
wise guys in horn lake (deep dish)

I had this. Pretty damn good, comparing to the only Chicago Pizza I ever ate was brought down hours later from Chi-Town by way of M.O.T.O. shows at Murphys.

Where the fuck is JJ Champion, anyways?
Franny
Posted: Jan 5, 2010 12:00 pm    
Has anyone in PDX tried pizza from Al Forno Ferruzza on Alberta? tried to go the other night but they were having a private party, feckers. How about Bella Faccia? Or the new pizza cart next to Prost? I have been craving really good thin crust and have yet to find any that really makes me want to go back.
Seamus
Posted: Jan 5, 2010 7:03 pm    
If the pizza I made at home wasn't so fucking good, I might try more places.

As it stands, Nostrana makes the best real (Napolitano) pizza in town. Apizza Scholls makes the best american style pizza (with Ken's a close second). Escape from New York makes the best greasy pizza. Round Table makes the best chain pizza.
deadcityrebel
Posted: Jan 5, 2010 8:52 pm    
Where the fuck is JJ Champion, anyways?
riding his bike or combing his moustache
Matto
Posted: Jan 6, 2010 9:31 am    
As it stands, Nostrana makes the best real (Napolitano) pizza in town.
Yeah...I had one of those a couple of weeks ago.....fucking fantastic...not too bad price-wise either...
Tommy Trouble
Posted: Jan 6, 2010 9:43 am    
Shocking no one in Memphis has a candidate...pizza sucks in this town.

Truer words were never spoken. I'd trade Scott's left arm for Minsky's in KC to open a franchise here.
bruce
Posted: Jan 6, 2010 9:47 am    
little italy pizza is good
Joe Buddha
Posted: Jan 6, 2010 9:56 am    
Round Table makes the best chain pizza.

Fuck yeah.

There used to be a place in LO called Pizza Foundry. I would, literally, behead someone for the recipe for their sauce.
Honestly, the place may still be open, I have no clue.
I am all about beheading today.
Franny
Posted: Jan 6, 2010 12:48 pm    
If the pizza I made at home wasn't so fucking good, I might try more places.
What is your secret?? I definitely have made some tasty pies but have yet to make the perfect crust.
Thanks for the recommendations- I have tried Apizza and Escape from NY but not for a long while, they are kind of far from where I live and I am lazy. Nostrana is definitely on the to-try list now.
Matto
Posted: Jan 6, 2010 3:38 pm    
Nostrana is definitely on the to-try list now.
Their smoked chicken is f'ing unbelievable as well...as Skank Police can attest...
STUNGUN
Posted: Jan 6, 2010 4:15 pm    
Nostrana

Yeah, affordable late night happy hour pizzas and Butterscotch Boudin to boot. Still the only boudin I've had since landing in Portland.
Seamus
Posted: Jan 6, 2010 10:49 pm    
What is your secret?? I definitely have made some tasty pies but have yet to make the perfect crust.

Not the "perfect" crust or real napolitano, but this is a recipe from Tuscany that is my fallback, hungover, non-challenging, always kick-ass way to go.

1 package yeast over 1/2 cup warmed milk, wait 10 min.

mix in 2 eggs, 2+ cups all purpose flour, and 1/2 teaspoon salt.. add additional flour to get dough past the sticky to the tacky phase...

let rise 1 hour or more, up to 3 hours.

split in two. roll out thin & toss until very thin, 1/4 of inch or less. brush with olive oil and let rise again for 20 minutes. meanwhile preheat oven to 550 or as hot as it will go.

if you are using really wet toppings, throw the dough in the oven for 90 seconds before adding said toppings. best not to use real wet stuff. squeeze the mozzarella, really reduce the sauce and don't load up the crust with ingredients. keep it light and balanced, the crust is the star not the toppings.

Bake for about 7 or 8 minutes until there's a little burn on top. remove from oven and rest for about the same time. slice and enjoy.

this works for me.
STUNGUN
Posted: Jan 7, 2010 9:13 am    
this is a recipe from Tuscany that is my fallback, hungover, non-challenging, always kick-ass way to go.

Vouching! I've had Seamus' pizza and it is fucking delicious. Weather allowing, I want to grill one of these.
Franny
Posted: Jan 8, 2010 11:22 am    
Not the "perfect" crust or real napolitano, but this is a recipe from Tuscany that is my fallback, hungover, non-challenging, always kick-ass way to go.

Sounds damn good to me. I will try again after my last failed pizza dough experience. Thank you much.
Juan Kerr
Posted: Jan 8, 2010 5:00 pm    
Seamus, do you bake that on a cookie sheet, or what?
Matto
Posted: Jan 8, 2010 5:59 pm    
Seamus, do you bake that on a cookie sheet, or what?

motherfucker's got rocks in his oven....
Juan Kerr
Posted: Jan 8, 2010 6:51 pm    
I got a pizza stone, but if I havers let the dough rise for 20 on the peel, it's gonna stick no matter how much cornmeal I use.
Seamus
Posted: Jan 9, 2010 6:17 pm    
I got a pizza stone, but if I havers let the dough rise for 20 on the peel, it's gonna stick no matter how much cornmeal I use.

Maybe too much wet matter in your dough? Never had much problems with sticking.
Lester Jepsen
Posted: Feb 4, 2010 10:13 pm    
The Pie- Salt lake C
I'D RATHER EAT DOGSHIT.
in SLC, este is about the only good pizza place unless you want fancy pants sette bello. but sette bello ain't real pizza.

Well, I guess the people in Utah love dog shit. The Pie is an institution at The U.
deadcityrebel
Posted: Feb 4, 2010 10:38 pm    
people in Utah love dog shit
exactly.
the good pizzeria get no business while shit factories make all the dough.
Franny
Posted: Feb 12, 2010 12:59 pm    
Goddamn. For Portlanders who love thin crust pies- there is a new hole in the wall place in the parking lot on N. Greeley and Killingsworth, it's called DePokos: http://pizzadepokos.blogspot.com/ - it was some of the best pizza I've had in awhile. They do lebanese flat bread with Zaatar too.
HForHeiny
Posted: Feb 17, 2010 11:58 pm    
Though it's now closed down AV's in DC was bonerific. Their white pizza was insane.
Hope I'm not the only one here who knows whats up.
SSSSSSS
Posted: Feb 18, 2010 2:11 am    
Holy shit that greek pie on Depokos' blog looks AMAZING! Crust looks a little too puffy around the edges for my tastes, but still... I can't wait to try it this weekend, or maybe tomorrow evening.
Jesse Garon
Posted: Feb 18, 2010 12:11 pm    
these chain pizza price wars are insane! $10 for ANY pizza? you get what you pay for....
SSSSSSS
Posted: Feb 18, 2010 12:26 pm    
Pizza Schmizza's $10 one topping ain't bad.

I still haven't tried new improved Dominos, but it could stand a LOT of improvement before it even approaches being good.
Franny
Posted: Feb 18, 2010 12:54 pm    
Holy shit that greek pie on Depokos' blog looks AMAZING! Crust looks a little too puffy around the edges for my tastes, but still... I can't wait to try it this weekend, or maybe tomorrow evening.

Do it Do it Do it! So damn delicious. I highly recommend the one with the lebanese 3 cheese AND zaatar- I think they do it half and half.
Vinyl Ritchie
Posted: Feb 18, 2010 5:18 pm    
Im tellin y'all...in Memphis, Fox Ridge is the Queens Tit! Ya gotta like thick crust and a artery-cloggin amount of cheese and toppings though...
Will Barrett
Posted: Feb 18, 2010 8:17 pm    
you can a get Lebanese pizza (manouche) with zaatar, pomegranate seasoned lamb, cheese or all three at Amana Bakery on Winchester between Getwell and Lamar.

It's good on its own, but it's really good wrapped up around cucumbers, tomatoes, onions, and pickles.
Franny
Posted: Feb 19, 2010 1:11 pm    
you can a get Lebanese pizza (manouche) with zaatar, pomegranate seasoned lamb, cheese or all three
Damn does that sound tasty. Is that in Memphis? Wish I could drop by and get one...
Juan Kerr
Posted: Feb 27, 2010 9:54 pm    
Made sauce today from last summer's tomatoes. Mostly "persimmon orange" variety.

Trying out Seamus' dough recipie. Better be good, dude.
Seamus
Posted: Feb 28, 2010 2:21 pm | Edited by: Seamus    
Trying out Seamus' dough recipie. Better be good, dude.

made some yesterday... it were good & got enough leftover to make another pie today.

little known fact: pizza & beer together make a complete protein.
Juan Kerr
Posted: Feb 28, 2010 10:33 pm    
Yeah, I'm too drunk to make the 2nd day pie.

Last night's pie was real good. Dough was a little "cakey" but certainly was a great last minute recipie. Only one I've seen with eggs? Anyway, all the others needed at least 3-4 hours rise, so at 1 hr, yours won out. Good recipie, and great results, I'll use it again.

I'll do up the rest of the dough mon or tues when I'm in better shape.
Joe Buddha
Posted: Mar 3, 2010 12:23 pm    
Amana Bakery on Winchester

Seconded. I stopped working out that way in 2007, but I used to hit it up all the time. I am glad it is still open. Easily the best pita in town, too....
Seamus
Posted: Mar 3, 2010 2:50 pm    
Dough was a little "cakey"

drop the eggs to one or zero and replace with water...
Miss Strange
Posted: Mar 3, 2010 6:44 pm    
aroud L.A. (all NY style)
Village Pizza, Mulberry Street (tied for best over all)
Damianos (best late night)
Stefano's (good in you're on Hollywood blvd on foot)
SSSSSSS
Posted: Mar 5, 2010 10:43 am | Edited by: SSSSSSS    
Playboy names its "Ten Best Pizzerias in America":

Modern in New Haven, Connecticut;
Al Forno in Providence, Rhode Island;
Ken's Artisan Pizza in Portland, Oregon;
Tacconelli's in Philadelphia;
Pizzeria Mozza in LA;
Di Fara in New York City;
Pizzaiolo in Oakland, California;
Serious Pie in Seattle;
Pizzeria Bianco in Phoenix
Coal Fire in Chicago.
Seamus
Posted: Mar 5, 2010 12:01 pm    
Pizzeria Bianco in Phoenix

I've heard about this place for a long time and seen it on some food show. It makes me hungry just thinking about it...
Vinyl Ritchie
Posted: Mar 7, 2010 7:00 pm    
Hit up Foxridge for the 1139th time in my life last night (been going since 1978)....effin' great as always...pizza and pitchers of beer. Yum.
Your answer
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  URL Link  Disable BB codes *What's this?

» Name  » Password 

victim of time

victim of time

By posting on this board you agree to these Terms Of Use

Page loading time (secs): 0.097