Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Food & Drink / what to eat when you're broke
Posted: Jan 3, 2006 7:24 pm

I thought there was a thread somewhere on this already but here's a new one.
Panade!
stale bread + onions + mystery cheese + water (or broth)= good shit!

all yah gotts do is
1.saute chopped onions until they're brown
2. butter a casserole dish (one with a lid or a dutch oven type pot)
3. ad layers of cubed stale bread, onion and cheese, repeat
4. ad water or stock
5. Cook covered in oven at 350 for 1hr 30 min.

you can strain this if you want a thinner soup, but I like my nice n' think.
Posted: Jan 3, 2006 7:34 pm

Stale bread is great for shit like that. You can also, in the summer, make a really good "panzanella" salad using bread and shit from the garden:

Cubed, stale bread
Tomatoes
Onions
Arugala
Basil

Hack up the toms and trow 'em in a bowl with the bread. Toss some oil, salt, and vinnegar in there too and let it rest for 5-10 mins. Thinly slice the onions, tear up the basil, and toss into bowl with arugala. Mix together and chow down.

This is awesome because 1) it's a salad, so it's good for you 2) super cheap if you've got the stuff in your garden 3) really good tasting 4) it fills you up, unlike most salads and 5) on a hit summer night, it hits the spot.

I wish it was summer.
Posted: Jan 3, 2006 7:36 pm

I forgot to mentio the best part:

In the bowl, the bread soaks up alla the tomato water and oil and vin and salt, making these big, kinda soft, super tasty croutons, with no baking!
Posted: Jan 3, 2006 7:48 pm

here's another:
Posole!
1. a can of hominy ($ .70)
2. leftover Ham ( you can use ham hocks too--dems are super cheap) (or go get some sardines in "red sauce" and use them in place of ham)
3. some leftover salsa
4. throw together in pot and bring to simmer ( if you're using hocks you'll need to cook longer)
4. enjoy!
Posted: Jan 3, 2006 7:53 pm

I used to eat a lot of Ramen with hotdog chunks.

I forgot about how versitile salsa can be... we use that shit for everything.

We also sometimes use peanut butter to stretch out refried beans. Extra protien!
Posted: Jan 3, 2006 8:19 pm

Mac and cheese with a can of tuna tossed in aint half bad. Add a bunch of crushed red pepper and blak pepper.
Posted: Jan 3, 2006 10:30 pm | Edited by: Windy

poor mans peach cobbler

slices of white bread (can be stale)
canned peaches (drained)

mix one stick melted butter, 1 c sugar, 2 T flour, 1 egg - pour over peaches and bread in a greased 9 x 13 pan. bake 350 until browned.

you can also de-crust the bread and toast w/ melted butter and cinnamon - two desserts in one!
Posted: Jan 3, 2006 10:31 pm

Your roommate's food
Posted: Jan 3, 2006 11:10 pm

beer
beer
beer
Posted: Jan 3, 2006 11:48 pm

i put together weird shit like couscous and cheese and pouched salmon and vegetable soup mix. it ended up really good though.

i also made a stoner casserole thing with a potato (shredded), handful of cheese, a very freezerburnt vegetarian sausage patty, and an egg. it wasn't really all that bad.

i usually keep a fully stocked freezer/fridge/pantry though. and always have various bags of frozen vegetables, some sort of pasta, and a bag of some sort of cheese, so it's never anything too difficult to find anything to throw together.
Posted: Jan 3, 2006 11:58 pm

last night we had a pizza made with:

1 can of biscuits
half a can of tomato soup
some italian seasonings
mozzarella
pepperjack
parmesan
half a pound of old fried bacon

Any cheese would do, I imagine. I rolled out those canned biscuits and convinced my kid that this would be really great. He thought it was.
Posted: Jan 4, 2006 1:07 am

my diet for 4 months was boiled cabbage and Piggly Wiggly spagetti noodles. it will keep you alive.
Posted: Jan 4, 2006 8:25 pm

Mac & Cheese with bacon and/or hot salsa is great also.
Posted: Jan 4, 2006 11:48 pm

eggs any way...always cheap
Posted: Jan 5, 2006 4:02 am

bandit, I laughed out loud at that scrumptous posole recipe! hominy is indispensable.
Posted: Jan 5, 2006 4:19 am

i lived for 3 months in ireland on $500
i had potatoes every meal of every day.
there is no limit to what you can do w/ a potato.
potatoes are my #1 broke ass meal... they go with everything
Posted: Jan 5, 2006 5:29 pm

mac and cheese and peas
Posted: Jan 6, 2006 3:41 am

It's so easy to go and get food stamps. If you work for a living but still find your budget being stretched there is no shame in taking advantage of what your taxes pay for in the first place. Its like you are reimbursed in food for the fica the gov withholds. You don't have to be black or extremely poor to qualify. 125 a month goes a long way. Leaving you a lot more money for beer and shows. Just a suggestion.
Posted: Jan 6, 2006 5:29 am

I was on food stamps for 18 mths and I was eating the best food I had in years... and if you live in New Orleans and you go on food stamps, they give you an EBT card called the Louisiana Purchase!
Posted: Jan 6, 2006 6:55 am

hot deng did those Katrina food stamps go far!

I had a foodstamp BBQ just to burn through the first double installment of $350 in September. Got some real shitty looks from the old lady behind me in line when I unloaded $200 worth of Porterhouse steak, TBones, salmon and tuna steaks.
Posted: Jan 6, 2006 7:51 am

Thats what you get here an EBT card. You can eat like a fucking king. You cant get the hot food from the grocery buffet but so what. Stock up on everything from canned necessities to frozen taquitqas and pasta out the ass. Prime Rib, ground chuck for days. Its great. Just one less worry. Few things are as relaxing as a full pantry. And a full bar.
Posted: Jan 7, 2006 1:12 am

pack of chicken leg quarters and a pound bag of rice. turns into a big pot of soup you can eat off for days. about three bucks.
Posted: Jul 31, 2009 4:38 pm

OK, it's payday, so maybe this is not necessary
Posted: Jul 31, 2009 5:59 pm | Edited by: Windy

My sister and her husband lived on food stamps for several years while BIL was in school....I couldn't believe the stuff they got away with buying/wasting. Of course they are shitting at their grocery bill now that he has a job and can't qualify.
Posted: Aug 5, 2009 2:31 pm

Up here you get this thing called an Access card. I had never seen one of them. I asked, and the lady behind the counter told me what they were. Not only can you use it for food and such, but you can take money out when you purchase things. So, I see people all of the time buying iced tea, then getting 20 back in cash. I am not sure how I feel about this.
Posted: May 23, 2012 4:29 pm

Found a bunch of free USDA food on the street ---- brown rice, peanut butter, cling peaches. Combination NOT recommended.
Posted: May 23, 2012 8:43 pm

The fruit flies that land in your vermouth.
Posted: May 24, 2012 3:21 pm

http://www.foodstampfraud.org/

can you buy teabags with food stamps?
Posted: May 24, 2012 7:24 pm

Does anyone else never tire of Ramen noodles? I still love 'em. I can be cooking steaks on the grill and my kids would still rather have Ramen.
Posted: May 24, 2012 9:54 pm

Thai Tuna Blackbeans

1 can of black beans drained
1 can of tuna drained
couple of shots of hot sauce
1 Table spoon of seperated peanut oil from the top of the peanut butter jar
mix
1 teaspoon of crunchy peanutbutter
Posted: Nov 23, 2014 6:29 pm

Taco Soup is cheap and easy.

1 can black beans
1 can kidney beans
1 can corn
1 can Ro-Tel Tomaters
1 onion, chopped
1 envelope Taco Seasoning
1 envelope Ranch Dressing mix
3 cans water

Can add a pound of ground beef too if you have it.

Saute meat with the onion & add to pot. Dump everything else in a pot, bring to boil and then simmer until flavors blend.

If it's just one or two of you, can live off this for days. Good with cheese on top and some Tomtits.
Posted: Dec 13, 2014 7:57 pm

Not Tomtits... Tostitos. Unless you like Tomtits.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®