Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Posted: May 2, 2013 3:11 pm

Sid Selvidge died this morning. He was a real Memphis treasure, and a big part of my Memphis musical growing up. He will be sorely missed by so many.
Posted: May 2, 2013 3:56 pm

RIP, indeed.
Sad.
Posted: May 2, 2013 4:03 pm

It's hard to believe that Crosthwait is the only Neutron left.
Posted: May 2, 2013 5:52 pm

Completely genuine guy.
Really hate to hear it.
RIP, Sid.
Posted: May 3, 2013 12:14 am

I know his son Steve, met Sid but didn't know him, but this is really bumming me out. I had heard he was very ill.

This bit from Archer Records is great, read it here http://archer-records.com/index.php/artists/sid_selvidge

It ends like this, which just seems so perfect.

--------------------------

Selvidge was initially diagnosed with cancer in 2010 while touring with Amy Speace to promote "I Should Be Blue." He was treated and returned to complete the tour. The cancer returned and Selvidge fought the disease for two years. He recovered long enough to make one final recording and video in September 2012 for The 78 Project directed by Alex Steyermark. Singing in a baritone voice, which he likened to Gatemouth Brown's, Selvidge made his last recording with one microphone, direct-to-disc on a 1930's Presto recorder with son Steve on guitar.

-------------------------

All condolences to the family. RIP Sid.
Posted: May 3, 2013 8:29 am

Thanks for that link, eric. Pretty fascinating about how he just wanted to be in Memphis, and turned down the big offers.
If you've never heard "Cold of the Morning", it will amaze you. Never a purer voice...
Posted: May 3, 2013 1:39 pm

Yeah.

Here's a link to the 78 Project stuff mentioned there. Really great. I can only imagine how proud he was of Steve, and what a pleasure it must have been to play with him here.

Just making me sad.

http://the78project.com/tag/sid-selvidge/

http://vimeo.com/55377934
Posted: May 3, 2013 2:25 pm

Oh man...wow.
It makes me sad too, but the thought of what those "Sons of Mudboy" have grown up with, and are carrying on, takes a bit of the sting away.
Posted: May 3, 2013 4:59 pm

Right! Those kids are carrying it.
Posted: May 4, 2013 6:14 am

I am 46 now. When I was 20 and just underage in college, my friend and I used to go to the North End round '87. North End did not card if you looked 21, but they did keep out people who weren't (our favorite bartender once carded and kicked out some kids, while we were on our 4th beer underage.)

I really liked that bartender and he was good to us. He wasn't that much older than us and was a cool guy. I used to love the food in there. Good "fusion" like dishes and really a nice atmosphere. Is the North End still open? I loved that venue. What about the South End?

Concerning Sid, we were dicks and in our cups would yell at Sid between songs to "play some (Bob) Dylan!........" which somewhat annoyed Sid, which was the idea. He would usually shoot back "I don't play Dylan!" I believed he did some covers, but not Dylan. Probably because Dylan could not sing he he can. Don't blame him.

BUT, he was a great musician and I enjoyed his music. I would have enjoyed seeing him more as a 45 year old who likes soft music over drinks than a bunch of Stage Stop headbangers. He was an original, and I saw about his death in Memphis Flyer. He died young too. Great guy who loved the hometown not to abandon it like I and did what he loved. Isn't that what life is about?

Off the subject, GO GRIZZLIES. Let's beat the living fuck out of the Oklahoma Turkeys and march towards the Finals and kick their stupid ass and make Mempho Title Town! Imagine the party of Memphis as Numer One in something. I do not think the National Guard could control it.
Posted: May 4, 2013 11:35 am

we were dicks

Hard to imagine.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®