Fix / Modern
7" out Now!

AUSMUTEANTS lp

AUSMUTEANTS
Great young Aussie
Punks - Synths + Snot!

UPCOMING GONER EVENTS
Thursday August 28 The Clean, Boogarins, Nots HiTone
Gonerfest 11 September 25-28 2014 more info here!

13th Floor Elevators - Headstone Contact Sessions lp

Sick Thoughts - My Mess My Life lp (Dead Beat Records)

Reigning Sound - Shattered lp (Merge)

Coloured Balls - Heavy Metal Kid lp (Desperate Records)

The Clean - Anthology 4 lp boxset (Merge Records)
Dutch Masters - All In The Wires lp (Spacecase)

Spelling Mistakes - Feels So Good lp (Real Groovy Records )
Ausmuteants - Split Personalities lp (Saturno Records)
Thee Mighty Fevers - Fuck'in Great R'n'R lp (Deadbeat)
Ausmuteants - Stale White Boys Playing Stale Black Music 7'
Flesh World - s/t 12' (La Vida Es Un Mus)

BIG BOYS lps!

13th FLOOR ELEVATORS
Headstone: The Contact Sessions lp
Texas Psych heroes alternate versions!

SICK THOUGHTS.
My Mess My Life lp
(Dead Beat)
The Real Baltimore underground is Drew aka Sick Thoughts!

REIGNING SOUND
Shattered lp/cd
( Merge)

New frpm Greg Cartwright & Co- getting huge raves!

COLOURED BALLS
Heavy Metal Kid lp (Desperate)

Fantastic 2nd album from Lobby LLoyd & co!!

THE CLEAN
Anthology
4lp Box Set (Merge)
Most excellent NZ band's first albums!

DUTCH MASTERS
All In The Wires lp
(Spacecase)
Eric O & Memphis/Oxford superstars archival blast!

SPELLING MISTAKES
Feels So Good lp
(Real Groovy)

More great New Zealand punk / pop stuff!

Goner is the only place in the US to get Real Groovy
Records!

AUSMUTEANTS
Split Personalities lp (Saturno)
Our heroes' first cassette- now on vinyl in extremely limited edition!

THEE MIGHTY FEVERS
Fuckin Great R'N'R!
(Deadbeat)

Teengenerate-styled frantic punk rock supremo!

AUSMUTEANTS
Stale White Boys Playing Stale Black Music 7"
(Easter Bilby)
Aussie
wunderkids continue their roll!

FLESH WORLD
12" ep

(La Vide Es Un Mus)
First release from these Aussies who seem to have moved to SF

BIG BOYS
Lullabies Help The Brain Grow dbl lp
and
No Matter How Long The Line Is dbl lp
(Modern Classics)
Great Texas punk / hardcore.
Legendary!

Goner Records Bulliten Board Goner Records Bulletin Board
 » Name  » Password 
Goner Message Board / Memphis / Dead Mall stores we miss.
senor boogie woogie
Posted: Mar 27, 2009 9:45 am    
Howdy!

Been away from America for several years, living in China.

On the these of restaurants we miss, what about stores in the now extinct Mall of Memphis or the Hickory Ridge Mall? I am sad that these places
are gone because I spent a lot of time in those two malls. Do most of you miss these two malls? They were in a central location, and Oak Court has always seemed to be a bit more upscale.

I miss the Mall of Memphis food court. Actually, I thought the food at Hickory Ridge was better, but it was cool to sit up there and look at the ice skating rink and all the bewildered southern people falling ass over end.

I remember that the Service Merchandise which turned into Wilson's, mainly because a mentally slow sister of a classmate worked in there for many years, as in about 10 in that store. Probably the most senior employee in all the mall.

I remember doing a lot of reading at the Christian Book Store on the second floor near the Dillards. There was another excellent, big bookstore on the opposite end. There was a great toy shop on the first floor on the JC Penny end, it wasn't like a "Toys R' Us" type of place, it had games and models and stuff like that. It went away years before the mall closed.

Then of course, is Spencer's Gifts. That place was stoner heaven and a place I always visited when at the Mall. Thing about it is though, I do not think I ever bought a damn thing there. I just liked seeing the crap they sold.

A few stores in the Mall never made much sense to me. For example, why do people shop at Hickory Farms? What was the purpose of that place? I doubt anyone has ever left the house meaning to end up buying a big bologna hotdog in red plastic wrap, and funny little cheese from Liechenstien.

Same could be said about Radio Shack.

Remember back in the 1980's that a second floor of a mall collapsed, and people were worried about the second floor at the Mall of Memphis because you could actually feel the floor vibrate every so often.

I enjoyed all the arcades of the mall back in the 1980s. I spent hours and a fortune at "The Gold Mine" arcade in the Mall of Memphis. The Hickory Ridge had a good arcade too. I remember the Raleigh Springs Mall had an arcade that was manned by a strange, crazy looking old fellow. He also knew how to work on the machines. Another fellow who has been a mall employee forever.

Hickory Ridge Mall had something interesting places to. The Carosel in the middle of the mall was really beautiful (never rode it.) As I said before, I always thought the food in the Hickory Ridge Mall was better than the Mall of Memphis. Hickory Ridge also had a great candystore that sold all kind of things, it was one of those places where you fill up your bag and off you go.

I actually had a job selling shoes one summer in a Thom Mckhan (or whoever its spelled). Got fired about two weeks later. Wasn't even as good as Al Bundy.

I remember the last time I went inside the Mall of Memphis, which was around 1999 or 2000. I knew the Mall was near death and wanted to say goodbye to an old friend. The mall was totally gone with about five "ghetto" like stores, including one that featured African art works. An Act of God killed the Hickory Ridge Mall, was it dying before the tornado? II realize the demographic of Hickory Hill has changed, but the area wasn't impoverished when I left, and people need clothes and cheap plastic crap.

Anyway, just a few thoughts. One can even talk about other malls in the area. I remember living in Whitehaven going to the Southbrook Mall as a kid and getting a cherry slurpee and corn dogs at Woolworths, and playing pinball in their arcade. When I was a little kid, I went through Safetytown in front of the Mall, but for some reason, I pissed off the people running it. Why? I dunno. It was 1972.

Tell some mall stories.
Will
Posted: Mar 27, 2009 10:12 am    
RIP Chess King
jbh
Posted: Mar 27, 2009 11:22 am    
barrel of fun - arcade in hickory ridge mall
saispas
Posted: Mar 27, 2009 11:44 am    
I worked at the Merry-Go-Round in Mall of Memphis but there was too high of a Squid quotient and I feared for my safety. I begged the managers at U.S. Male to hire me and they did. For $3.35 an hour plus 10% commission.
elle
Posted: Mar 27, 2009 12:20 pm    
i used to go ice skating at the mall of memphis for HOURS on end just nearly every day every summer since i was 10 (which was when my dad moved to memphis) up until it started gettin' real ghetto and my dad wouldn't let me go there anymore alone.
Joe Buddha
Posted: Mar 27, 2009 12:32 pm    
We used to go to the mall just to sit in the food court and smoke. While my friends would all sit around, share a pizza and chain smoke, I would wander around trying to look cool. I usually just ended up at the arcade playing 720. I would occasionally buy something that I "needed". One of the things that I apparently "Needed" from Spencers was a Lava Lamp with a crazy clown face for a base.
theshape
Posted: Mar 27, 2009 1:03 pm    
I don't miss the Mall of Memphis or the Hickory Ridge Mall, but I do miss the Raleigh Springs Mall. The RSM was the best of the bunch to me.

I liked how all of the places to eat at were spread out through the mall instead of creating a clusterfuck food court. On the end of the mall where JC Penney's was there was Dino's (the best pizza in Memphis) and The Harvest House which was right next to Woolworth's.

On the Sears end of the mall there was a Shoney's and next to Walgreens was a little diner that made some great hamburgers.

By the main entrance was Hot Sam's, another hamburger joint (I don't remember the name of that one) and they put in a Chick-Fil-A (the first one in Memphis I think)

Also near the main entrance was a pet store (you don't see those in malls much anymore), a movie theater and Sultan's Castle, the coolest arcade in town.

You could buy concert tickets at the Information Booth. We camped out many a night up there for concert tickets instead of driving to midtown, always got good seats too.

There was a Merry-Go-Round, they had all those goofy looking 80's clothes but there was always some fine looking gals working there : )

Right next JC Penney was a place called JJ Morley, they had some great t-shirts with rock bands on them and near the register they sold pipes, rolling papers, lighters, etc.

The lone music store was Camelot Music.

There was a Swiss Colony, it was just like Hickory Farms. We never bought anything there but would go in there to grab some of those free samples of cheese and crackers.

Spencer's was always fun to go into, especially while under the influence of something. I don't think we ever bought anything from that place either.
Alisa
Posted: Mar 27, 2009 1:16 pm    
I loved me some Raliegh Springs Mall. Spent most of my formative years either running wild in the Bartlett/Raleigh woods, or at RSM. I'd forgotten they had a Shoney's in there.

We also used to cruise McDonald's across the street on weekend nights, and would park and raise hell in the parking lot - also the Craigmont parking lot.
Things were a lot more fun then.
Hubie Brown
Posted: Mar 28, 2009 12:34 am    
I fondly remember Record Bar and Camelot Music in the Mall Of Memphis. They had the best selection of speed metal in town and the cute East Indian sisters Amy and Charity worked there. I made the transition to compact disc from cassette tape when the jewel case came in a long, thin box.
saispas
Posted: Mar 28, 2009 1:23 am    
I can't recall if it was Southland or Southbrook, but which mall had those cool stone animals perfect for toddler to climb on?
senor boogie woogie
Posted: Mar 28, 2009 7:32 am    
The place with the stone animals was the Southbrook Mall. I grew up in Whitehaven and spent a lot of time in that mall in the 1970s. They might still be there for all I know.

I remember as a little kid when the original Memphis Grizzlies were here, that is the early 1970's World Football League Grizzlies. The promoters of the team brought an actual baby bear into Southland Mall, and it attacked a kid.

I remember when there was a Fred montesi market on the east end and I and my mother shopping in there as a little kid. The Southland had a decent movie theater at one time with an arcade nearby with a lot of pinball games managed by an old woman who took no SH*T from the punks. Like I said, this was like 30 plus years ago. My mother remembers a "GLOBE" department store on the other end, back in the 60s.
violet
Posted: Mar 28, 2009 8:59 am    
I used to ice skate at Mall of Memphis back in the mid 80's. There was this really creepy old guy that used to hang around the mall and take pictures of the ice skaters with his camera. He gave me his card once. Later in the early 90's i saw him working at Ck's on Highland.

I used to shop at Ups N Downs and got my Kool leather jacket at Wilsons leather. Then we'd eat Karmelkorn.
senor boogie woogie
Posted: Mar 29, 2009 8:54 am    
Is BERT'S still open? The ghetto clothier? Was this store in one of the malls?

Was there a real Bert?
fredrick of hollywood
Posted: Apr 1, 2009 3:47 pm    
Victoria's Secret
fredrick of hollywood
Posted: Apr 1, 2009 3:51 pm | Edited by: fredrick of hollywood    
Was there a real Bert?

on sesame street

he's got a HUGE dick!!
Golightly
Posted: Apr 1, 2009 3:52 pm    
senior boogie woogie...where did you go to school?
I'm a Bishop Byrne Red Knight
saispas
Posted: Apr 1, 2009 3:55 pm    
I saw "Song of the South" at the movie theater at Southland and also saw the J5 doing some instore promo outside the mall; mind you, I could only see the crowd that saw J5 because I was about 3 years old, but I was there.

I remember the creepy ice skating rink photo guy--he approached girls all over the place asking if we wanted to be models one day.

Raleigh Springs Mall was indeed great--the logo for Hot Sams? Orange Julius was there too but the whole idea grossed me out. Freebies at Swiss Colony ruled!
robin
Posted: Apr 1, 2009 7:47 pm    
anybody remember those commercials- "I love to see Greg's guys doooooin' it".
eric o
Posted: Apr 1, 2009 7:48 pm    
oh yeah.
saispas
Posted: Apr 1, 2009 9:37 pm    
I remember the Greg's commercial where they said "we have suits in ALL the new colors!" And then they ran off this endless list in which "lime!" was shouted.
senor boogie woogie
Posted: Apr 2, 2009 2:31 am    
I knew a lot of childhood friends who went to St. Paul/Bishop Byrne. I was even hit by a car on Shelby Drive one afternoon right in front of the church. I went to a small private school named Frady's, and then moved out to Germantown when I was in the eighth grade.

I lived on Boeingshire and St. James back in the day. Whitehaven and Raleigh were Hickory Hood before there was a Hickory Hill.
saispas
Posted: Apr 2, 2009 8:13 am    
The early 80's Bishop Byrne/Memphis Prep etc scene was soooooo fun. Wha happen? Oh yeah, Blackhaven. What is today's equivalent?
Windy
Posted: Apr 2, 2009 9:24 am    
The only Mall I remember spending any real amount of time in was Raleigh Springs Mall - that pizza place - Dino's? Awesome. Never really shopped there, just wandered around with my friend Nicole.

But what about US Male? I remember the stand alone store on Highland, but I think they had one at Hickory Rigde Mall.

Contempo Casuals!

Gadzooks!
Will Barrett
Posted: Apr 2, 2009 7:46 pm    
mmm...mmm... wear it out yall
Will Barrett
Posted: Apr 2, 2009 7:52 pm    
Where was Memphis Prep?
Dott
Posted: Apr 2, 2009 9:30 pm    
Hey Senor, I attended Fradys as well. Moved to East Memphis in 5th grade but finished school there. Bummed that I couldn't go to Memphis Prep but it was to far away.
senor boogie woogie
Posted: Apr 3, 2009 4:36 am    
Memphis Prep was located on Millbranch near Stateline Rd. It was about a five minute walk to the Mississippi state boundry. The school is not there anymore.

Dott, when did you go to Frady's? I graduated there back in 1979. The woman who owned that place was a piece of work. She was really abusive and sociopathic. I am not Catholic or went to a Catholic service, but she is (or was hopefully). Any slight wrong committed by the students was met with a painful paddle flogging. I was also hit in the hands. Most of the teachers (shudder), although there were a few nice ones there too.

Did you (or anyone) have a membership at the YMCA pool? The indoor pool stank of chlorine, the outside pool was cool only because of the high dive. Couldn't use the weight room because they had a rule that you must be 18 to go in there, although sometimes I sneaked in there. (I was about 13)

Whitehaven. Yuck.
saispas
Posted: Apr 3, 2009 8:45 am    
I can tell you that Whitehaven circa 1983 was a fantastic transition from the horrors of West Memphis. Thank you, Bishop Byrne Knights for all of your hospitality and life lessons. It was very easy to make the decision to move back to Memphis, stat, after hanging around that scene for awhile.
Dott
Posted: Apr 3, 2009 10:56 am    
Senor, I believe it was the same year. We only had 13 kids in our class. The paddling started for me in kindergarden and didn't stop until I left that place. I made a promise to myself I wouldn't get paddled my 6th grade year, but our teacher that year, Ms. Melton, had it in for me and I was padled for stepping out of line.

I did belong to the Davis YMCA and swam on the swim team until we moved and then I switched over to Mason YMCA.
Possum
Posted: Apr 3, 2009 10:39 pm    
I barely remember the Raleigh Springs Mall... my main memories of it are the pizza place that my family and I would go to most every Friday night. Then we'd walk around. I remember seeing Rudolph there at Christmastime. I had to be less than five years old; was early 70s.

I think there is a Gadzooks in the Wolfchase Mall.

We hung out at Hickory Ridge Mall more than any place in the mid to late 80s. But being girls, we spent most of our time at The Limited and Claire's. That poster store furnished much of my room for years.
senor boogie woogie
Posted: Apr 4, 2009 3:41 am    
Dot,

I remember Ms. Melton, the sixth grade teacher. She got after the school year, because the other teacher (her name might have been Fitzgerald) got pregnant. Melton was not liked and loathed by us (for being a stupid sadistic bitch). I can see her sending you to the office for a minor infraction. What a chickenshit human being.

The woman Frady (I want to refrain from using whole names) was a sociopath who hid behind her religion. Very few of us deserved to be hit, nor should we should have been on pins and needles being afraid of one minor mistake to get legally assaulted. Looking back, I don't think many of the teachers liked her either, and it was a lot nicer in the school when Mrs. Frady left for the afternoon (it was like Hitler leaving the room)

I know it was elementary school, but Mrs. Frady for some unknown reason kept me back from going into First Grade, and was kept behind one year, just to join my class in Second Grade, where I felt like a failure. This cycle of failure, depression and a fear of authority has been a recurring theme in my life.
Vinyl Ritchie
Posted: Apr 6, 2009 7:32 am    
barrel of fun - arcade in hickory ridge mall

yes! used to always get a bag of tokens for Christmas...

also miss The Record Bar in mall of Memphis...had that kick ass import heavy metal section...it was mystifying to see all those records with the loose shrink wrap on them. All of the alternate AC/DC covers...Venom and Motorhead LPs...man, what I passed up...although i was only 12/13... but I do remember getting the Metallica "Whiplash" 12" single there...
saispas
Posted: Apr 6, 2009 1:04 pm    
it was mystifying to see all those records with the loose shrink wrap on them.

JEM Imports, Plainfield, NJ
Joe Buddha
Posted: Apr 9, 2009 2:32 pm    
anybody remember those commercials- "I love to see Greg's guys doooooin' it".

Didn't they both have tag lines in earlier commercials:

"Go to Berts!"

And

"Greg's, That's who!"
tigergreen
Posted: Apr 9, 2009 3:28 pm    
Raleigh Springs Mall - that pizza place - Dino's? Awesome.

seriously, the best pizza I've ever had in Memphis, to this day.

I grew up in Frayser, so I spent my entire childhood going to Raleigh Springs Mall. i remember the funky blue & white merry-go-round things that had zebras instead of horses for kiddie rides in the middle of the mall.

when i was in junior high, the Rave store with the mirrored walls & ceilings was across from the store that sold all the "outback red" stuff (was that the early Limited?), and I had about 1000 junky pairs of earrings from Afterthoughts, that was next door to Dino's.

the mexican place in the food court at the mall of memphis had the best nachos EVER.
tigergreen
Posted: Apr 9, 2009 3:30 pm    
But what about US Male? I remember the stand alone store on Highland, but I think they had one at Hickory Rigde Mall.

it was on one of those "offshoot" hallways, i think, close to Annabelle's, maybe?
Windy
Posted: Apr 9, 2009 3:51 pm | Edited by: Windy    
"outback red" stuff (was that the early Limited?),

Yes, the coveted Outback Red brand was at the Limited and was WAY out of the budget for me. I'd go with my own money combing through the clearance racks to try to find something with that little green label because my mom wouldn't spend that much on clothes.

I also liked early Express a LOT

I, too hit the Rave store and Afterthoughts but 9 times out of 10 I didn't buy anything. My friend Nicole and I used to search for the ugliest stuff we could find, go to the dressing rooms and ask people's opinions on the clothes. It was hi-larious to loudly talk about how cute the outfits were then come out of the stall and watch the other girls/women squirm, trying to figure out what to say. Most of the time they lied to us and told the clothes were cute/nice. HA!
tigergreen
Posted: Apr 9, 2009 4:15 pm    

Yes, the coveted Outback Red brand was at the Limited and was WAY out of the budget for me.

yep, us too, but that sure didn't stop me from going in there every single time I went to the mall with my mom and BEGGING for one, just one of those 10 button henley shirts.

ah, the fun of living in frayser, & going to an east memphis private school!
midtown reacharound
Posted: Apr 10, 2009 7:26 am    
I remember when Saddle Creek opened and they had a United Colors of Benetton. My mom thought I was crazy for wanting those expensive ass clothes. I never got any.

I remember when the Oak Court Mall was once nice. They should just rename it Hickory Ridge North
saispas
Posted: Apr 10, 2009 9:20 am | Edited by: saispas    
There was this store about two doors down from the US Male in Mall of Memphis with a fantastic selection of 80's Betsey Johnson wear...spendy but cute.

I loved Benetton but could only ever afford like a pair of leggings there. Express was good, but Dawn and I freaked out in there once when we were tripping and started REALLY NOTICING that crazy ethnic music they were playing. Boo Scarrrrrrry!

My favorite Limited line was Album by Kenzo. That stuff still looks good.
littlemisslinda
Posted: Apr 11, 2009 5:50 pm | Edited by: littlemisslinda    
Does anyone remember when that guy was sexually propositioning dudes in the Men's bathroom at the oak court mall?
I think it was 2000.
My girlfriend at the time was working Clinique counter in Dillards, and would ask "What the HELL are you doing hanging out in the mall..." in a very scolding manner, and my reply was always "oh, you know....hangin' around in the restrooms".

A year later I actually met that pervert at another girlfriend's house, and I don't think I've ever felt more uncomfortable in my life.

His name is either harry or henry or something.

John Watter's films are never funny in real life situations.
......well, mabey a week later.
Lady Problems
Posted: Apr 13, 2009 9:41 am    
I remember going ice skating at the Mall of Memphis, but very little else about it. I did find these pictures from right before it closed, though - http://www.uer.ca/locations/show.asp?locid=20244
littlemisslinda
Posted: Apr 13, 2009 9:57 am    
I can't spell, and I don't give a shit
andria
Posted: Apr 15, 2009 12:55 am    
well, since I am on a posting marathon, I might as well keep going.

Randy Chertow worked at Record Bar at MOM. also punk rocker Shannon, who was the photographer on the scene in the '80s. I still remember when Randy sold Kim Holloman the Butthole Surfers album, think it was PCP Pep or Locust Abortion Technique, and she freaked out. then her parents freaked out. she shaved her head and had to wear a wig to school. huge drama in the mid-1980s!

after quitting my job sacking groceries at the C'ville Krogers (actually I got mono, then never bothered going back to work), my folks pressured me into another after-school job so I got one at Aca Joe's at Hickory Ridge Mall. it was a weird brand, kinda Banana Republic-met-International Male, and the label also served as a signal that you were a gay man trapped in a prepster's body.

seriously!! remember, this was the '80s.

I had to wear a uniform that consisted of an Aca Joe t-shirt and khakis, and I added my own Doc Martens to the look. we did sell these super comfy fisherman's sweaters that I liked to wear when it was freezing inside the mall, but I always discouraged my mother from buying a similar one for my dad... oh what weird, funny times.
andria
Posted: Apr 15, 2009 1:01 am    
cute East Indian sisters Amy and Charity

anyone know where they ended up? I had so much fun hanging out with those 2!

also, John Stivers and I think Tripp Lamkins worked at Camelot's RS Mall location. Tripp's dad actually had something to do with designing that mall.

my first week in Memphis, I went to MOM with Ellen Fennel Blythe and left my purse shoved under the seat of her Volvo, which was broken into as soon as we walked away.
littlemisslinda
Posted: Apr 15, 2009 12:47 pm    
I just shit in my pants, and now my fingers are all brown-n-sinky.
john
Posted: May 10, 2009 11:35 pm    
senor boogie woogie did you hang out with anybody in your neighborhood when you lived near boeingshire and st. james? What year did you move?
senor boogie woogie
Posted: May 11, 2009 3:45 am    
We moved in 1981 at the end of my eighth grade year. The neighborhood was well on the way of being "dark" by then. I had a friend on St. Honore which was one street up. His family never moved from the neighborhood, I used to see him there in the late 80's into the 1990s.
john
Posted: May 11, 2009 8:24 am    
wow small world. My parents lived on Charing Cross (one street over from St. Honore, dead ended into St. James) in 1979.
Aviatorrascal
Posted: May 14, 2009 2:21 pm    
Wow, what memories....I was the assistant manager at Barrel of Fun in Hickory Ridge in the early 80's.......loved all of those free video games! I got damn good at pinball.....still love it. Rock 103 playing on the store stereo system.....ahhhhh--
Memphis Foundry
Posted: Dec 5, 2009 9:51 pm    
Another Memphis child of the 70s and 80s here. The guy who ran the Sultan's Castle arcade at the Raleigh Springs Mall was Val Martino. Val was a character -- he worked there for many years. I practically worked there in the summertime. I would go pick up his lunch at Dino's -- he always ordered stromboli -- in exchange for some free credits on Berzerk, Gorf, or Punch-Out.

Even before then I spent a lot of time in Sears playing the Atari (and later, Intellivision) demo games in the toy department. There used to be a Walgreens diner right next to Sears (right across from the Shoneys) that had an actual soda fountain. It was a cool place to stop by for a Coke. There was also a Harvest House cafeteria next to the Woolworth's at the other end of the mall that served this really spongy, citrusy cheesecake. That's the taste of nostalgia, right there.

Pretty sure that Tripp Lamkins did work at the Camelot Music for a while. Kurt Meer, too -- haven't thought of those guys in years. Bought a handful of 8-track tapes, a few albums, a lot of cassettes, and my first few CDs there in their full mid-80s cardboard longbox glory.

Looking back, it seems like the cinema they had there was *cavernous*. Only two screens, and one was slightly larger than the other one, but even the smaller one was gigantic compared to todays. I remember that they ran "E.T." on one of those screens for twelve consecutive months when it first came out.

The cool toy store close to JC Penney at the Mall of Memphis was Toys By Roy -- it was basically a cross between a hobby shop and a toy store. Best mall toy store ever.

Damn good times.
eric o
Posted: Dec 6, 2009 1:21 am    
YES! Thanks!
Uptight White
Posted: Dec 6, 2009 4:24 am    
County Seat. Good deals on OP and Levis. The photo store near the main entrance to the HRM. If you went to more than a couple of shows or played in a band, proof of it was there for your mom's curious friends.

I heard the US Male commericals for years on Rock 103 and decided to check it out one day in the Hickory Ridge Mall. I still can't remember if the extreme cheezyness of the "Men's" clothing or the sticker shock stunned me more. I'd also make a few passes by the Merry Go Round. My friend would sell them the most ridiculous gear available to the aspiring Nina New Waves that wanted to fit when they ventured to the Antenna for the first time.
littlemisslinda
Posted: Dec 7, 2009 8:35 am | Edited by: littlemisslinda    
A game my friends and I made up was based upon the annoying employees at the MERRY GO ROUND, or U.S. MALE.

The objective of the game was to see who could walk all the way to the back of the store, touch the back wall, and walk all the way back out without being addressed by the overly agressive sales staff (real punk rockers bought their clothes at SEARS, Disabled Veterens, and ironically, FREEWHEELIN' FRANKS).
littlemisslinda
Posted: Dec 7, 2009 8:38 am    
We also later adapted a more violent version of this game to the Antenna dance floor
saispas
Posted: Dec 8, 2009 3:09 pm    
A game my friends and I made up was based upon the annoying employees at the MERRY GO ROUND, or U.S. MALE.

Was this at the Mall of Memphis? I worked in both stores; I would have never been brave enough to try to hit you with the huge sales approach, plus I was always way too hungover for such a hustling sort of gig--$3.35 + 10% commish!!!!
Jack Stands
Posted: Dec 8, 2009 8:39 pm | Edited by: Jack Stands    
More Raleigh Springs Mall and Sultans Castle awesomeness Here:
http://www.goner-records.com/board/index.php?action=vthread&forum=2&to pic=8086&page=0

I seem to remember there was a pretty big thread about all of the 80's Arcades in Memphis at one point...
littlemisslinda
Posted: Dec 9, 2009 5:40 pm | Edited by: littlemisslinda    
Was this at the Mall of Memphis?

yes

I would have never been brave enough to try to hit you with the huge sales approach,

Everyone else in those stores did.
I think the mall version of that game fizzled out once I turned 17. It didn't go over very well once I had discovered marajuana.
littlemisslinda
Posted: Dec 9, 2009 5:46 pm    
I think I tried to coax a couple of friends to do that "touch the back wall game"in our early twenties (had discovered alcohol) and my friend jay told me I was a moron for even making up such a game.
littlemisslinda
Posted: Dec 9, 2009 5:49 pm    
We also later adapted a more violent version of this game to the Antenna dance floor

Kevin Cardosi & Van Henderson

being in any mall (chess club) with either of those two was a bad decision
Memphis Foundry
Posted: Dec 9, 2009 11:21 pm    
More Raleigh Springs Mall and Sultans Castle awesomeness Here:
http://www.goner-records.com/board/index.php?action=vthread&forum=2&to pic=8086&page=0

Cool thread. The thing I remember most about the Factory Outlet Mall arcade is that they had a Red Alert machine -- it was one of only a couple that I ever saw. It was a talking game so it always attracted my attention.

\\\"Red Alert! Enemy aircraft approaching -- France!

Destroy all fighters by eleven hundred hours -- or *MIRV* will be launched!\\\"

A few more things about the Raleigh Springs Mall that washed up over the last few days:

The hot dog place right across from Hot Sam\\\'s was called \\\"Hot Dogs And More\\\". It later became an A&W.

The pet store across from Sultan\\\'s Castle was a Doktor Pets. Got myself a turtle there once when I was a kid.

There was a Bressler\\\'s 33 Flavors ice cream parlor right next to Sultan\\\'s Castle.

There was a mustard-yellow kids ride shaped like a diesel locomotive along with a Railroad Crossing sign on a pole that sat at the entrance of Sultan\\\'s Castle for many years. Wish I knew where that thing wound up.

The last time I went into the mall, there was still a GNC Vitamin store near the main entrance. I think there had been a vitamin store in that spot since the mall opened -- it was a Shaklee Center back in the 70s and early 80s. I don\\\'t think it\\\'s there anymore, though.
Lester Jepsen
Posted: Dec 10, 2009 6:28 pm    
senor boogie woogie- yes I remember...

The Southbrook Mall was across the street from its neighbor Southland Mall. It had a cool iron on T-shirt stand back in the 70's. You could smell the steam as soon as you entered the mall. You would pick your fav decal and they would press it on the spot. The stand also sold glittery belt buckles. Also remember the Service Merchandise that was connected to the mall. Pretty cool place to get your Star Wars toys. Incidentally, the movie theater inside that mall was where I saw the 1st Star Wars movie.
Lester Jepsen
Posted: Dec 10, 2009 6:37 pm    
Fav pizza in town was located in Hickory Ridge Mall next door to the General Cinema. It was called Castriotti's with real Italians serving it up. Not sure if it's related to the restaurant in Cordova at Trinity.
Will Barrett
Posted: Dec 10, 2009 6:56 pm    
The same place, except they're Albanians
Joe Buddha
Posted: Dec 11, 2009 1:47 pm    
Castriottis was the shit. Sbarro was across the food court and had no chance.
fredrick of hollywood
Posted: Dec 11, 2009 3:07 pm    
Castriottis was the shit.

Sold beer in the mall, nuf said
Uptight White
Posted: Dec 16, 2009 1:30 pm    
The same place, except they're Albanians

I heard they were Moors.
Lester Jepsen
Posted: Dec 30, 2009 9:56 pm    
It's Moops!
olsticky
Posted: Jan 1, 2010 8:02 pm    
Tripp Lamkins, Kurt Meer, Dan Ball and I (Stivers) all worked at Camelot at the same time around 86 or 87. John Floyd worked there too. I met my wife at the Raleigh Springs Mall in 1987, She worked at Foxmoor (sp?) down at the Sears end of the mall..Ah, mall romance....
Amy Myers
Posted: Jan 21, 2010 11:31 pm    
Well here I am, half of the duo Amy and Charity. Thanks for remembering us. I was the younger one and suppose I still am. Loved working in the mall so I could people watch. I worked at Camelot at both Hickory Ridge and MOM, then the bookstore. Oh and before that the donut shop, in MOM. I had no idea it was gone. And so is Hickory Ridge?? Wow, things change. I also worked there. Now in Chicago. Charity is near New Orleans on the MS coast. Used to have good times for sure - sometimes re-live them thru the vague memories I have. I drifted to this site when I was searching for Kevin Cardosi, only to see my dear passed away.
Amy Myers
Posted: Jan 21, 2010 11:34 pm    
And I totally remember Castriotti's - they had a place downtown and I think in Cordova or Gtown. One of those brothers had a cool Scarface appeal.
ZwickyBox
Posted: Jan 23, 2010 12:20 pm    
There was some little store in the Mall of Memphis that would personalize anything, usually a bunch of plastic janky toys and such. It was right by the ice skating rink. I liked to go watch the "artists" make kid names out of bubble letters. And mess with them.
Pervy
Posted: Jan 25, 2010 11:12 am    
Does anyone remember when that guy was sexually propositioning dudes in the Men's bathroom at the oak court mall?
I think it was 2000.
My girlfriend at the time was working Clinique counter in Dillards, and would ask "What the HELL are you doing hanging out in the mall..." in a very scolding manner, and my reply was always "oh, you know....hangin' around in the restrooms".

A year later I actually met that pervert at another girlfriend's house, and I don't think I've ever felt more uncomfortable in my life.

His name is either harry or henry or something.

John Watter's films are never funny in real life situations.
......well, mabey a week later.

It's Henry dear. I have never seen you look more uncomfortable in my life!
Pervy
Posted: Jan 25, 2010 11:15 am    
I miss Contempo, cheap slutty clothes in 1993 made me feel like a superstar at the club!
senor boogie woogie
Posted: Jan 26, 2010 3:45 am    
Is asking people for sex a crime if there is no money exchanged?

Why didn't the mall just kick hom out? It was not that big of a place.
Your answer
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  URL Link  Disable BB codes *What's this?

» Name  » Password 

victim of time

By posting on this board you agree to these Terms Of Use

Page loading time (secs): 0.101