Available now!

EX CULT MIDNIGHT PASSENGER PRE-ORDER

EX-CULT
Midnight Passenger lp/cd
Coming April 29

GONER RECORD STORE DAY RELEASE
Ex-Cult
"Ties You Up" b/w "New Virtues" 7"
Be sure to bug your local retailer for these!
And swing by GONER for exclusive colored vinyl on Record Store Day - Saturday April !9
GONER RSD POSTER HERE

2nd Midtown Memphis Record Swap - Saturday May 10
Full-on Crosstown Arts Block Party with DJs, Beer, Third Man Mobile Store & More!
Plus OBLIVIANS that night at the Hi Tone! Dick Dale plays the night before!
Dealers get in touch!

Buck Biloxi & The Fucks - s/t lp (Red Lounge Records)

Icecross s/t lp (Rockadrome)

Obnox- Louder Space lp (12XU)

Anthology of American Folk Music Volume 3 lp (Mississippi)

Talbot Adams - s/t lp (Spacecase Records)
Predator - The Complete Earth lp (Scavenger of Death)

Valerie June - Pushin' Against A Stone cd (Concord)
Ross Johnson and Jeffrey Evans - Vanity Session lp (Spacecase ) Leo Welch - Sabougla Voices cd (Big Legal Mess)
Pookie & the Poodlez -The Last Thing I Did As a Teenager 12'
Sid Selvidge - The Cold of the Morning lp (Omnivore)

Manateees - Seek Help 7' (Total Punk)

BUCK BILOXI & THE FUCKS
lp
(Red Lounge)

BACK IN STOCK! New Orleans craptastic punk rock / KBD / Bloodstains in your face. ""If you think Buck Biloxi & The Fucks are not rad in real life you need to snap out of that bullshit dream. "- Buck Biloxi

ICECROSS
s/t lp
(Rockadrome)
Reissue of legendary Icelandic Hard Rock lp!

OBNOX
Louder Space
lp
(12XU)

Amazing new garage murk lp from Bim & co! Punk rock, hip hop, woody haze!

ANTHOLOGY OF AMERICAN FOLK MUSIC
Vol 1-4 lps

Freakin' heavy duty reissues of these Harry Smith-compiled classics!

TALBOT ADAMS
s/t lp
(Spacecase)
What a nice album! Pop from the genius TALBOT! Up next on Spacecase- Dutch Masters lp!

PREDATOR
The Complete Earth lp
(Scavenger Of Death)
2nd full-length from Atlanta punk rockers. Mean, man!

VALERIE JUNE
Pushing Against A Stone lp/cd
(Concord)

New Memphis / NYC folk chanteuse as heard on David Letterman!

ROSS JOHNSON & JEFFREY EVANS
Vanity Session lp
(Spacecase)

Collossal collaboration from two Memphis blabbermouths... recorded with Jim Dickinson, who appears here often!

LEO WELCH
Sabougla Voices lp (Fat Possum)

Great raw gospel / trance blues- his set closing Gonerfest 10 started like this, kinda drifted off into Beale Street blues but this is what you want to hear!

POOKIE & THE POODLES
The Last Thing I Did As A Teenager lp
(Rubber Vomit)
Nobunny-esque goofy slop pop punk...

SID SELVIDGE
Cold Of The Morning

lp (Omnivore )
Reissue of the great Sid Selvidge's album recorded live in the studio with Jim Dickinson. Haunting stuff. RIP Sid.

MANATEEES
Seek Help
7"
(Total Punk)
Memphis' garage metal/??? mayhem masters with ABE CHARLOTTE AND KEITH!!!!

Goner Records Bulliten Board Goner Records Bulletin Board
 » Name  » Password 
Goner Message Board / Memphis / Dyer's Burgers
AndyB
Posted: Mar 26, 2008 10:20 pm    
Just saw something about this place on the cable TV. Do people eat these burgers for real, or is it purely a tourist thing?

The burgers look gross, but I'd try one, just cause...
elle
Posted: Mar 26, 2008 10:43 pm    
the place out on summer is gone now, so they only have the one downtown on beale. i liked the burgers out at the one on summer. i don't know if they're the same on beale or not. anyone know?
saispas
Posted: Mar 26, 2008 10:59 pm    
I used to go to the little white shack they had on Cleveland then they moved the "original oil" across the street to another location on Cleveland in a little strip mall. I never went to that one. They were just greasy as hell, shitty little burgers. No big shakes.
Theresa K
Posted: Mar 26, 2008 11:01 pm    
Just saw something about this place on the cable TV.

god i hope that food network isn't re-running the episode i did on memphis food from 1999.... we covered dyers, some place that served brains n eggs and also the memphis in may bbq contest

i do know that there was a big ceremony to carry the grease from summer to beale street. it was covered by food network too. but i haven't had a dyers burger since 1999, so i can't help you out there, andy or elle
bruce
Posted: Mar 27, 2008 12:41 am    
dyer's is great if your on beale for some stupid reason
elle
Posted: Mar 27, 2008 12:51 am    
the place on summer is now a mexican restaurant. just one day, blam, it was gone. i didn't hear about it closing beforehand. (but then again, i really don't watch tv all that much.) just tried to go get a burger one day and it was replaced. booooo.
heyradio
Posted: Mar 27, 2008 1:10 am    
I had one of their burgers once. Once.

i do know that there was a big ceremony to carry the grease from summer to beale street.

They did the same when they opened the one in Bartlett.

Is the one in Bartlett still open?

Man, I was just thinking how weird Bartlett is. They have the last remaining Gridley's, albeit a Gridley's II, but still. . .
AndyB
Posted: Mar 27, 2008 7:43 am    
god i hope that food network isn't re-running the episode i did on memphis food from 1999.... we covered dyers, some place that served brains n eggs and also the memphis in may bbq contest

I think it was a travel channel show on fried stuff like beigniets and corndogs and shit.
paristheatre
Posted: Mar 27, 2008 7:52 am    
some place that served brains n eggs --Ferguson's on Summer?
taterhead
Posted: Mar 27, 2008 8:46 am    
a double (meat) double (cheese) from the one on beale was as better than i remembered from the original on cleveland, the original II in the vietnamese place on cleveland, the bartlett one and the summer one. hand cut fries. its in my top 3 cheap places to eat downtown, and i'd damn sure eat there before huey's or elliots. the frying in grease makes it tasty when that hot burger sorta cooks the onions and melts the cheese. don't go expecting a big thick fully dressed huey-type burger that gets really dry. these are thin, quickly cooked patties. get a double.
Golightly
Posted: Mar 27, 2008 9:19 am    
If I'm not mistaken, the original one on Cleveland served the burgers on white bread.
saispas
Posted: Mar 27, 2008 9:38 am    
If I'm not mistaken, the original one on Cleveland served the burgers on white bread.

They did indeed. It also was still segregated somewhat years after the "Colored" and "Whites" signs came down. It was a cool little set up with the grill in the center as was necessary when segregating a shitty counter burger joint back in the day.
sgtsawzall
Posted: Mar 27, 2008 9:46 am    
they taste like grease and grease tastes good. how could a fried hamburger not taste good?
Golightly
Posted: Mar 27, 2008 9:53 am    
It was a cool little set up with the grill in the cen

and if my memory serves me (which it fails me a lot)...were there not wooden Coke crates to stand on when you ordered?
Seems like it was a dirt floor with Coke crates...
Golightly
Posted: Mar 27, 2008 9:54 am    
I think it was a travel channel show on fried stuff like beigniets and corndogs and shit.

Also fried hot dogs...rippers and in and outers...they looked GOOD
saispas
Posted: Mar 27, 2008 9:55 am    
I remember the dirt floor, but not the coke crates. I was surprised the place was still standing! It seemed completely termite-eaten. This was between 1983-86 when we'd go in there stoned after school and gorge on grease.
colin
Posted: Mar 27, 2008 10:00 am | Edited by: colin    
Anybody remember across from the old Dyers(and a little north) on Cleveland an area called the Curb Market?? It burned down in the late 80's i think, but there was a place my dad used to take me to eat over there called Lambs Eat Place! They had kickass pimento cheese sandwiches and bbq. Some really, really old ladies owned it and you sat up at the counter old school style. Was there for years. I totally remember the old Dyers having 2 doors as well and a rickety ass window unit AC. Bottled cokes.
saispas
Posted: Mar 27, 2008 10:23 am | Edited by: saispas    
called Lambs Eat Place!

Was it across Poplar? We rarely ate out when I was relying on Dad to take us anywhere; the only places I remember going with him in Midtown as a kid were Fairview Drive In, the Angel Food Ice Cream place on Summer, Dinos and Best Pizza In Town. Mom took me out more. Remember Burkels (sp?)???
colin
Posted: Mar 27, 2008 10:30 am    
Naw..it was on Cleveland on the east side of the street just north of Poplar. Was in a raggedy row of old ass buildings. Burkels rings a bell...where was that?
Will
Posted: Mar 27, 2008 10:30 am    
damn dudes you're making me hungry
saispas
Posted: Mar 27, 2008 10:33 am    
Burkels was in Overton Square; they had weekend breakfasts and great baked goods.
Golightly
Posted: Mar 27, 2008 10:33 am | Edited by: Golightly    
How about Barretta's...Park and Highland where the concenience store is now....good stuff.

and the BEST Mexican ever was a place called Lerma's just down Park from Highland going east...i think it's a garden/nursery now.
Alisa
Posted: Mar 27, 2008 10:34 am    
Anybody remember across from the old Dyers(and a little north) on Cleveland an area called the Curb Market??

Huge part of my childhood. Sort of a mall precursor as they had Lamb's and a big flower market and some other shops there. Grandmother used to take me over there every Saturday morning so that we could buy flowers for the house for the week.
colin
Posted: Mar 27, 2008 10:40 am    
I remember Barettas..was it pizza or BBQ? I also remember Lermas. Not sure if I ever ate there but it was close to Peaches and I think it is a garden place now. Thats right Alisa they did have fresh flowers there as well. You ever eat at Lambs?? Im getting hungry as shit as well. I also used to go to Mongos Pizza on Highland. They used to show Little Rascal movies there while you ate. Pizze was ok but it was a neat place when I was a kid.
colin
Posted: Mar 27, 2008 10:41 am    
I cant jog my memory for Burkles, but I do remember the Candy Store on the backside of Overton Square on the bottom floor where all the candy was in these huge barrels and you got a bucket and filled it up. You paid by the pound I think.
saispas
Posted: Mar 27, 2008 10:47 am    
Now I am thinking of that place, Little John, in Overton Square with all the cutesy shit! Overton Square could be so damn cool now.

Is La Baguette still around? Back when that first opened, they had some pastries that were not to be believed, including one called La Peche, that looked like exactly like a sugar-covered peach. It was a pastry ball with creme inside. I am sure they were crazy labor-intensive. I never saw them again after 1979 or so.
colin
Posted: Mar 27, 2008 10:58 am    
La Baguette is up and runnin in Chikasaw Oaks. Different owners but still have good stuff. Little Johns was cools shit back in the day.
Golightly
Posted: Mar 27, 2008 11:20 am    
I go to La Baguette and get three baguettes every Sunday and freeze em for the weeks dinners...their pastries are scary good...and the pamierres (sp?)....I'd kill a man for a box of those...is it lunch time yet?
Alisa
Posted: Mar 27, 2008 11:22 am    
You ever eat at Lambs??

I can't remember eating there as a kid, but did when I got out of high school and started running around with a bunch of jazz boys from the MSU music department. I just remember how tiny it was, with a counter running down one wall and a few tables down the other...almost touching. I seem to recall eating salmon croquette sandwiches there, but that may have been at Abraham's Deli downtown in the Pinch. That was a great, kind of creepy, place where they still wrapped your sandwiches in waxed paper. It feel down in the 90s, and I scavenged a bunch of bricks from it.

I also used to eat at Mongo's on Highland, and drink 10 cent beer at the Varsity Inn. (Drinking age was 18 then.) Damn, there was a bunch of drunken hoohah going on back then!
Will
Posted: Mar 27, 2008 11:24 am    
started running around with a bunch of jazz boys from the MSU music department.

Damn, there was a bunch of drunken hoohah going on back then!

do tell!!
Alisa
Posted: Mar 27, 2008 11:41 am | Edited by: Alisa    
Oh, you know, the usual. :)

We did have a blast, though. I lived over on Ellsworth, one block west of the Highland Strip so there was always a lot of stuff going on over there all the time. Also, did some hanging with the jazz boys at Bill's Twilight Lounge, and the Hawaiian Isle. We started an organization called MMUSIC (Memphis Musicians United Supporting Improvisational Creativity - how's that for an acronym!) and brought some jazz guys here.
Did a lot of thrift storing - Walls, MS had one that was like heaven and there was one on Looney St. called Noah's Ark.
Another good thing that Memphis used to have was "art houses" or second run houses where all the weird movies played. There was one on Highland and also the Memphian was used like this for a couple of years. I really wish someone would start doing that again.

Otherwise, just regular drunken hoohah. Much like I am continuing to enjoy today!
Golightly
Posted: Mar 27, 2008 11:55 am    
second run houses where all the weird movies played. There was one on Highland

I saw Clockwork Orange there one Easter morning...no shit....who would have the balls to show that in the morning much less Easter morning?
Alisa
Posted: Mar 27, 2008 12:02 pm    
who would have the balls to go to that in the morning much less Easter morning?
Golightly
Posted: Mar 27, 2008 12:05 pm    
We had a head full and it was the right thing to do at the time
saispas
Posted: Mar 27, 2008 12:13 pm | Edited by: saispas    
Did a lot of thrift storing - Walls, MS had one that was like heaven and there was one on Looney St. called Noah's Ark.

Remember the clothing warehouse in Hohenwald????

Another good thing that Memphis used to have was "art houses" or second run houses where all the weird movies played. There was one on Highland and also the Memphian was used like this for a couple of years. I really wish someone would start doing that again.

Was the Park ever an art house? Also, they showed "art movies" in the campus theater either at UT or Shelby State...somewhere over there. I saw the animation festival and tons of Woody Allen stuff there in the early/mid 70's.
miss linda
Posted: Mar 27, 2008 12:24 pm | Edited by: miss linda    
who would have the balls to go to that in the morning much less Easter morning?

I would. Right after my steakey-wakes, eggy-weggs ,and a shot of the old milok-o.

Corny
Golightly
Posted: Mar 27, 2008 12:36 pm    
Right after my steakey-wakes, eggy-weggs ,and a shot of the old milok-o.

and a bit of the old "in and out"
Alisa
Posted: Mar 27, 2008 1:14 pm    
Was the Park ever an art house?

Yeah, it was, but I can't remember going there very much. The ones I remember best were the one on Highland (which turned into an X-rated theatre I think - it's about where Newbys is now), the Memphian, and one that I remember as being in the theatre that is now Circuit Playhouse (I saw Last Tango in Paris there one afternoon, but I don't guess that's as bad as A Clockwork Orange on Easter morning).
I do remember going to film fests at some college, and also Brooks used to show old movies on Sunday afternoons (BRING THEM BACK!).
The best one was the Memphian. Great theatre, and I'm pretty sure you could drink in there (and smoke still!) They also let you request movies, which was great.

Really, venture capitalists heads up. I'd love to see this happen again in Midtown.
miss linda
Posted: Mar 27, 2008 1:50 pm | Edited by: miss linda    
and a bit of the old "in and out"

good-n'-corny
Golightly
Posted: Mar 27, 2008 2:20 pm    
Yes...it was where Newby's big room is today....they'd have Marx Brothers marathons too
saispas
Posted: Mar 27, 2008 2:42 pm    
We went to the Memphian all the time back then; now that I know drinking was going on it makes total sense given my father and stepmother's proclivities back in the 70's. The theater where Bookstar is used to at least show OLD movies as I saw the original King Kong there in 1971.

I seem to remember the Circuit Playhouse being a movie place too; I do know their front entryway was also a gallery as my aunt showed some of her sculptures there when she was in that scene.
miss linda
Posted: Mar 27, 2008 5:43 pm    
I ate 12 Krispy Kreams today!
YUMMY
Randal
Posted: Mar 27, 2008 10:55 pm    
Dyers Cafe (formerly on Summer) has moved out to where the Schlotsky's used to be at Stage & I-40 by the Best Western.
ChicoHarris
Posted: Mar 28, 2008 12:07 am    
Anybody remember across from the old Dyers(and a little north) on Cleveland an area called the Curb Market?? It burned down in the late 80's i think, but there was a place my dad used to take me to eat over there called Lambs Eat Place! They had kickass pimento cheese sandwiches and bbq. Some really, really old ladies owned it and you sat up at the counter old school style. Was there for years. I totally remember the old Dyers having 2 doors as well and a rickety ass window unit AC. Bottled cokes.

That was exactly how the old Dyers was...Lambs Eat Shop was also great, I remember it being held by an old guy-his picture was in The Commercial Appeal not long before it closed. White House cafe was near there, too.
Jack Stands
Posted: Mar 28, 2008 12:41 am    
which turned into an X-rated theatre I think - it's about where Newbys is now

Search Crazy Memphis Retail.
I talked to a guy regularly that was the security guard when this was an XXX movie place.

He (eventually) would end every sentence in "whooo!"
elle
Posted: Mar 28, 2008 1:04 am    
Dyers Cafe (formerly on Summer) has moved out to where the Schlotsky's used to be at Stage & I-40 by the Best Western.

well, i'm glad it's not completely closed, but i don't like having to drive that far to get to it. the one on summer was right around the block from my house.
Rumpleforeskin
Posted: Mar 28, 2008 9:12 am    
The best one was the Memphian. Great theatre, and I'm pretty sure you could drink in there (and smoke still!) They also let you request movies, which was great.
They would have mini festivals . I saw all 3 Man With
No Name movies back to back. Also the first three James Bond flicks. The best was a double feature of "Adventures of Robin Hood" and "Captain Blood" with Errol Flynn. I never knew "Robin Hood" was in Technicolor because Channel 3 only ever showed their rickety B&W print.
saispas
Posted: Mar 28, 2008 6:31 pm    
The best was a double feature of "Adventures of Robin Hood" and "Captain Blood" with Errol Flynn.

I think I was at this one. I definitely saw this Robin Hood at The Memphian. Learned that day all about Errol Flynn and what "rape" meant. FUN!
Alisa
Posted: Mar 28, 2008 7:31 pm    
I was at that show too!
saispas
Posted: Mar 28, 2008 8:31 pm    
How old were you two back then? I must have been between 6 and 9 years old.
Alisa
Posted: Mar 28, 2008 10:24 pm    
I was a good deal younger than Rumple, but a good deal older than you! :)
Highway Star
Posted: Mar 29, 2008 5:25 am    
anybody been to that george's downtown. heard it's a vergos' outcast's place. interim supposedly is making a great burger. actually grinding their own meat, which for me is the key. using a blend of different cuts and a fresh grind. dunno, anyboy tried it?
Rumpleforeskin
Posted: Mar 29, 2008 10:46 am    
I was a good deal younger than Rumple, but a good deal older than you! :)
Every time you mention your age, a couple years seem to get shaved off. You must have been 4 when you lived in that place on Willett in 1980.
Alisa
Posted: Mar 29, 2008 11:10 am    
I put that little smilie at the end so you'd know I was being funny, rumple. :)
It's true, my age does fluctuate a little bit more than it used to. But, with a couple of grown kids it's getting harder to be vague about it. Still, I am young enough to be completely mystified as to why I got that AARP card in the mail the other day. Harumph!
Golightly
Posted: Mar 29, 2008 11:28 am    
mystified as to why I got that AARP card in the mail the other day.

Yeah..we get em but can't USE them...I tried to get the hotel discount in Nashville and they said you have to be 60...I'll be lucky to be ALIVE at 60....
Alisa
Posted: Mar 29, 2008 11:29 am    
Also, I will admit that I've become strangely fascinated by The Waltons lately. And, I cry at the end of most episodes.
That's when you know you're old.
The Driver
Posted: Mar 29, 2008 11:44 am    
...I'll be lucky to be ALIVE at 60....

Yeah, I ain't that old yet, but I did get a senior's discount on a coffee a couple of months back! (although the kid looked pretty sheepish when I passed her the change - "hey, I'm not from the senior's home, I'm just kinda hungover")
The Driver
Posted: Mar 29, 2008 11:46 am    
...and Alisa: you're not that old either. I used to work with people that were younger than you, but older, if you catch my drift.
saispas
Posted: Mar 29, 2008 11:48 am | Edited by: saispas    
Still, I am young enough to be completely mystified as to why I got that AARP card in the mail the other day. Harumph!

Dad got his early when he lived in Memphis too. Now that he is down here in Old Goat Ville, he is still one year away from official retirement age, but busts it out. Discounts on everything!
Alisa
Posted: Mar 29, 2008 11:53 am    
I used to work with people that were younger than you, but older, if you catch my drift.

"Geritol - you're as young as you feel!"
I'm still embarrassed I drug you to the "guess your age" at the Fair, fiddy.
GHSONG
Posted: Mar 29, 2008 5:22 pm    
the name of the theater where circuit playhouse is was "the guild"..the one on highland was "the studio".....there was also a great burger place a block off cleveland on south watkins owned by the same people who owned the fillerburger in frayser.
there was a steakhouse right in that area,"the harbor".....about once a year we ate there when i was a kid.....fine dining for frayser folks.

there was also a great little place that sat right between sears and the A&P....i sacked groceries there when i was 15....at this place you could get the rib eye special...baked potato and salad served by a waitress that appeared to have been married to a long line of drinking men....for a $1.69...of course this was 38 years ago....sigh
rivercityliver
Posted: Mar 30, 2008 4:53 am    
Anybody remember across from the old Dyers(and a little north) on Cleveland an area called the Curb Market?? It burned down in the late 80's i think, but there was a place my dad used to take me to eat over there called Lambs Eat Place!

Lambs Eat Place was one of my first local excursions outside the ivory tower of SaM High. I was lucky enough to become friends with a townie who had a car! (Alisa, it was Paul Tracy)
Theresa K
Posted: Mar 30, 2008 11:09 pm    
I'll be lucky to be ALIVE at 60....

damn you! i had a dream earlier in the day yesterday where that line played a big part. i didn't even read the board yesterday and STILL your words seeped into my subconscious...

gggrrr
yes... it was a creepy dream
bruce
Posted: Mar 30, 2008 11:25 pm    
i had a cheeseburger from miss shirley last night and it was deeeeelicious
Alisa
Posted: Apr 2, 2008 4:27 pm    
mystified as to why I got that AARP card in the mail the other day.

It's getting worse. Today I picked up the phone and it was a recorded message that said,
"Are you in a wheelchair?" "Do you have trouble walking?" "Are you on Medicare?"
DAMN! Who's list did I get on? And WHY??
Golightly
Posted: Apr 2, 2008 4:31 pm    
A friend called the 800 number for Hoveround and gave em my address and i got a shit load of calls and videos in the mail...

funny at first but not so funny with the night time phone calls
Your answer
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  URL Link  Disable BB codes *What's this?

» Name  » Password 

victim of time

victim of time

By posting on this board you agree to these Terms Of Use

Page loading time (secs): 0.105