Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / Herenton to step down July 31!
Posted: Mar 20, 2008 4:53 pm

H O L Y S H I T

Memphis Mayor Willie Herenton, the longest serving mayor in city's history and its first elected black mayor, is stepping down on July 31, he told The Commercial Appeal this afternoon.
Posted: Mar 20, 2008 4:55 pm

MONGO TIME
Posted: Mar 20, 2008 4:57 pm

Bout time!!!!
Posted: Mar 20, 2008 4:58 pm | Edited by: tigergreen

HOLY SHIT....

Action News 5 has been told Herenton is expected pursue the vacant superintendent job with Memphis City Schools.
Posted: Mar 20, 2008 5:08 pm

great....what a genius...

does Overton have air conditioning yet? Didn't when I went there....
Posted: Mar 20, 2008 5:08 pm

I'm freaking out.
Posted: Mar 20, 2008 5:10 pm

oh my god!

i didn't even see this!

the vacant superintendent job with Memphis City Schools.

Back from whence he came...
Posted: Mar 20, 2008 5:11 pm

What is this unfamiliar emotion I am experiencing?

Is it "hope"?
Posted: Mar 20, 2008 5:12 pm

I hope this isn't some terrible rumor gone awry...My heart can't handle the disappointment.
Posted: Mar 20, 2008 5:15 pm

hehehehehee.....

the CA poll is cracking me up:

Is Mayor Willie Herenton's resignation good for the city of Memphis?
Thanks for your vote.

Yes 91% 221 votes
No 8% 20 votes
241 total votes
Posted: Mar 20, 2008 5:18 pm

thats awesome!
Posted: Mar 20, 2008 5:20 pm

Oh my gosh! I'm all aflutter!
Posted: Mar 20, 2008 5:25 pm

Action News 5 has been told Herenton is expected pursue the vacant superintendent job with Memphis City Schools.
God, not again. Before I was a teacher, this option wouldn't have mattered too much to me. Surely no one's foolish enough to... oh well, nevermind.
Posted: Mar 20, 2008 5:29 pm

I know Miss Faye- good news for Memphians!
But not so sure if it's good for us teachers. I didn't live here when he was superintendent before...
Posted: Mar 20, 2008 5:36 pm

well, at least he would be doing a job he's done before.
Posted: Mar 20, 2008 5:36 pm

I went to school there when he was superintendent and the high school magnet system was definitely a charade. The thing that frightens me is this would be a new man going into that job; he would be just as arrogant as he is as mayor. How strong is the school board? Is he a done deal for getting the superintendent job if he wants it?
Posted: Mar 20, 2008 5:37 pm

I would say that the school board would probably back him 100%.
Posted: Mar 20, 2008 5:41 pm

The Flyer is reporting that he may run for the 9th District Congressional seat.

Could he beat Cohen? I don't know. Maybe. But the last fucking thing this city needs is another election to divide us down racial lines courtesy of Willie Herenton. The way he ran his campaign last October was very, very bad for the city.

The original CA article mentioned some FBI subpoenas served to MATA, but that has been scrubbed from the current article.
Posted: Mar 20, 2008 5:49 pm

The original CA article mentioned some FBI subpoenas served to MATA, but that has been scrubbed from the current article.

That must have happened moments ago because it was still there when I called Ryan shrieking the good news.

Naturally and very unfortunately, he isn't just going to go away. Is he taken seriously by Nashville? I mean, that could be B A D if he is representing us at that level. At least he was contained somewhat in Memphis, now his chicanery could effect Memphis in some much larger ways.

Oh well, I am just going to be happy for now. HE'S GONE! Or going!
Posted: Mar 20, 2008 6:08 pm

Eek. Is that congressional job is at the NATIONAL level?

No no no no.
Posted: Mar 20, 2008 6:08 pm

I think Cohen has been doing some great stuff in Washington -- the last thing I want is Willie in that office. And becoming Superintendent is probably just as bad.

Here's an idea, Willie. RETIRE!!! You're 67 and have a nice little nestegg - just go away.
Posted: Mar 20, 2008 6:38 pm

Shit. Does that mean I have to vote again for the world's best mayor:
http://worldmayor.com/contest_2008/world-mayor-vote.html
Posted: Mar 20, 2008 6:40 pm

The CA story has been updated again, with more details on the MATA subpeonas.

The subpoena demanded e-mails from Memphis Area Transit Authority surrounding the awarding of a $300,000 engineering contract awarded to Herenton friend Elvin W. Moon in 2006. The subpoena came weeks after the FBI delivered a letter to City Hall seeking copies of contracts and payments involving seven city contractors, with Moon’s name at the top of the list.

The federal probe came months after an investigation by The Commercial Appeal found that Moon paid the mayor $50,000 in a private land deal after his civil engineering firm landed $702,000 in no-bid city road design contracts.
Posted: Mar 20, 2008 6:51 pm

Uh-oh... looks like maybe the Tennessee Waltz was just the warmup dance!
Posted: Mar 20, 2008 7:07 pm

We all had to know something shady was going on!!! Why would he spend so much money on a reelection campaign if he was planning on resigning mid-year anyway? If that were the case he would have just bowed out gracefully.
Posted: Mar 20, 2008 7:23 pm

That was the first thing Ryan asked when I told him ("What illegal shit did he do that he is afraid is about to catch up with him?"); it has to be more for Willie to give up his power grip on the city.
Posted: Mar 20, 2008 8:14 pm

The subpoena demanded e-mails from Memphis Area Transit Authority surrounding the awarding of a $300,000 engineering contract awarded to Herenton friend Elvin W. Moon in 2006.

someone just told me that super intendent job pays 300,000, more than the mayor?. i don't know. i don't know shit about politics. but that's quite the coincodence.
Posted: Mar 20, 2008 9:04 pm

plus it's easier to graft money from the school system. less eyes watchin you. school board motherfuckers were the most corrupt people in new orleans for a long time.
Posted: Mar 20, 2008 9:07 pm

How long was he heading up Memphis City Schools the first time? Yikes, there I go, assuming he already got the gig. I am just hoping that the feds are right behind him. But, the way Memphis goes, we'd see him again anyway, a la Marion Barry.
Posted: Mar 20, 2008 10:02 pm

Herenton was on FOX13 and he cried. That's right. He cried.

You can watch the video here. It's long, but it's worth it.
Posted: Mar 20, 2008 10:05 pm

Sorry, the story changed. Follow the link and watch "Part 2."
Posted: Mar 20, 2008 11:37 pm

Who's going to take his place? The white chick that should of won?
Posted: Mar 21, 2008 12:24 am

Who's going to take his place?

From the CA:
With Herenton's resignation, Memphis' charter dictates that City Council chairman Scott McCormick will become mayor for 20 days. The council then will vote to appoint an interim mayor to serve until the next municipal or general election, which is scheduled for November.

If the council cannot agree on an interim mayor within the 20 days, McGee would become mayor until the next election.

Posted: Mar 21, 2008 9:38 am | Edited by: eric o

it would be great if this was a deal with wharton to let wharton in as mayor, and then wharton turned around and used all his resources to keep willie from getting his desired new position...

we'll see.
Posted: Mar 21, 2008 10:00 am

another interesting thing is david kustoff, the us attorney for memphis, said that he was stepping down recently, but he had "a few more things to wrap up."

hmmm.......cue the waltz music again!
Posted: Mar 23, 2008 5:20 pm

I go out of town for a few days and come home to my fondest wish for Memphis!
With the on-the-take allegations, looks like he ain't winning anything in the near future.
Posted: Mar 23, 2008 6:12 pm

"If we have in our midst the most qualified, and logically, the best person for the position, it would be a colossal waste of taxpayer money to conduct a national search," Whalum told a reporter.

What a colossal asshat.
Posted: Mar 24, 2008 5:06 pm | Edited by: street

Psych!

CA: Herenton says he'll stay on as mayor if he doesn't get schools job

When asked if he would stay on as mayor if he did not become superintendent , the mayor said, “Of course.”

Unreal. So all of this was an ego-stroking PR stunt?
Posted: Mar 24, 2008 5:07 pm

It gets better - snake in the grass blackmailing son of a bitch!

Herenton says he'll stay on as mayor if he doesn't get schools job
Posted: Mar 24, 2008 5:15 pm

Do you approve of Mayor Herenton's decision to return to Memphis City Schools?

Thanks for your vote.
Yes, I think he can help our troubled school system. 14% 215 votes
No, I think he should remain mayor. 2% 40 votes
I would prefer he did neither. 80% 1212 votes
I really don't care one way or the other. 2% 40 votes
1507 total votes
Posted: Mar 24, 2008 6:01 pm

It's a lot easier to fire a school superintendent than it is a mayor.
Posted: Mar 24, 2008 7:07 pm

"I don't care one way or the other 40%"
Posted: Mar 24, 2008 7:15 pm

The infamous triple dip: two pensions and a three figure salary. He is incorrigible.
Posted: Mar 24, 2008 7:37 pm

Nope, that's 2% for "don't care one way or the other." 80%!!!! for neither!
Also, two percent for "I think he should remain mayor."

The infamous triple dip: two pensions and a three figure salary. He is incorrigible.

"Slick Willie" takes on a whole new meaning. So does "King Willie."
You know, he really is at the "I can do anything I want" point.
Posted: Mar 24, 2008 8:09 pm

I think he is spending more time discovering ways to bilk Memphis at this point than to fix it.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®