Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / Library madness
Posted: Mar 18, 2008 9:10 pm

Sigh.

Memphis will close five libraries and four community centers in an effort to make the organizations more efficient and keep a planned property tax hike lower , Mayor Willie Herenton said this afternoon.

Herenton told the City Council the closings will save $1.5 million to $2 million annually and are part of an overall “repositioning of city assets” that will require more “hard decisions” by the council.

Herenton also forcefully defended his handling of the Memphis Public Library and Information Center, including his decision to not reappoint longtime director Judith Drescher.

“No individual owns the library system,” said Herenton. “It is the city’s library system.”

Herenton said he was “embarrassed” by the condition of some library branches and that they needed to be closed.

“What we had at the library system was a culture of excellence centered around the central library (at 3030 Poplar),” said Herenton. “With some of the other libraries, it was neglect.”

Herenton also criticized the lack of diversity in management in the library system under Drescher. “They all look alike,” said Herenton. “They had no respect for diversity.”

Herenton said the city will close the Cossitt library at 33 S. Front, Gaston library at 1040 S. Third, Highland branch at 460 S. Highland; Levi branch at 3676 Highway 61 and the Poplar-White Station branch at 5094 Poplar.
Posted: Mar 18, 2008 9:40 pm

I really wonder what his agenda is. Why is he picking on the libraries so much here lately? If I'm not mistaken, the Cossitt was going to close anyway, but I would hardly say the Highland and Poplar-WS branches are in states of "neglect." The others I'm not sure about. But still, this sucks. Curse all who voted for him. Again. Hey, that's it! Maybe he's trying to keep everyone ignorant so they'll vote him into office yet again! Pure genius.
Posted: Mar 18, 2008 10:25 pm

He is simply insane. I mean, what else can he close down? This is depressing and really just further embarrassment. On some level I think he knows what a fuck up he is but he ends up projecting this onto things that are good in Memphis as his defense. I really hate that man.
Posted: Mar 18, 2008 10:32 pm

Did he really say "They all look alike"? So he's a librarian hater?
Posted: Mar 18, 2008 10:43 pm

fucking hell
Posted: Mar 18, 2008 11:51 pm

Maybe he just went there to use "the internets" one time after the elementary schools let out?
Posted: Mar 19, 2008 12:38 am

anybody else think they're closing the cossitt branch so willie can grab the property for riverfront development?

also, wasn't the whole reasoning behind shutting down the peabody branch that midtowners would still be able to go to the white station and highland branches?

something fishy is going on.
Posted: Mar 19, 2008 9:24 am

something fishy is going on.

it's willie...it's always something fishy. i'm literally praying that the rumor is true that he's going to resign after 2 years of this term. we can't take 4 more of this dipshit.

it wouldn't surprise me if the highland branch is being closed for that area's development as well, although i will say they can at least get to the main library a lot easier than the other locations.
Posted: Mar 19, 2008 10:28 am

anybody else think they're closing the cossitt branch so willie can grab the property for riverfront development?

This is what I first thought of when I saw "Cossitt". And, while I have not been to either the Highland or WS branches in eons, I cannot imagine these are not highly utilized libraries. And community centers? They need to be focusing on building these up rather than ignoring and closing them.

Detroit got wise and their City Council passed a resolution yesterday for Mayor Kilpatrick to resign. Maybe Memphis council can get an idea from them. And some cajones.
Posted: Mar 19, 2008 12:00 pm

community centers? They need to be focusing on building these up rather than ignoring and closing them.

Maybe they're counting on the Kroc center to supplement the municipally funded inadequacies.
Posted: Mar 19, 2008 2:27 pm

Herenton also criticized the lack of diversity in management in the library system under Drescher. “They all look alike,” said Herenton. “They had no respect for diversity.”

what? sorry if his cronies don't have library science degrees and that's who they hired for library management positions - PEOPLE WITH LIBRARY SCIENCE MS's.

gah. he just makes my fucking head hurt. this "they all look alike" bullshit is disgusting.

Detroit got wise and their City Council passed a resolution yesterday for Mayor Kilpatrick to resign

this will never happen. he's got too many cronies in city council.

the white station branch is NOT in disrepair nor does it really have a lack of anything. he just doesn't like that particular branch cuz white people go there.
Posted: Mar 19, 2008 2:32 pm | Edited by: Rumpleforeskin

Did he pronounce it as "lie-berry"?
Posted: Mar 19, 2008 2:44 pm

this "they all look alike" bullshit is disgusting.

Kwame Kilpatrick of Detroit just went on a similar rant the other day; he is being tortured by white people, apparently who want to see him fail. But somehow it looks like 9 of 10 of the city council members are black, one of whom is Martha Reeves of the Vandellas! She missed the vote but said she wants him OUT. I wish they could take over our council. At least, Herenton couldn't pull out some race bullshit.
Posted: Mar 19, 2008 5:59 pm

fuck! i use the highland library to take shits
Posted: Mar 19, 2008 7:43 pm

this "they all look alike" bullshit is disgusting.

indeed. and were that really the pressing issue at hand and reason behind his actions, he would have replaced the woman with a person of color who has a freaking degree in library science.
Posted: Mar 19, 2008 9:27 pm

he is being tortured by white people, apparently who want to see him fail.

oooooh oooooooh oooooooh! did he call them "haters"???
Posted: Mar 20, 2008 9:00 am

did he call them "haters"???

No, he sees himself as having more "class" than Willie. You should read the silky smoove text messages he sent his fuck buddy/chief of staff.
Posted: Mar 20, 2008 1:44 pm | Edited by: the 1 and only

has any one mentioned the millions he has personally wasted with useless appointees.
Posted: Mar 20, 2008 1:50 pm

No, because that would be totally disrespectful to him and the City of Memphis; you know, like booing on The Today Show was.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®