Fix / Modern
7" out Now!

AUSMUTEANTS lp

AUSMUTEANTS
Great young Aussie
Punks - Synths + Snot!

UPCOMING GONER EVENTS
Thursday August 28 The Clean, Boogarins, Nots HiTone
Gonerfest 11 September 25-28 2014 more info here!

13th Floor Elevators - Headstone Contact Sessions lp

Sick Thoughts - My Mess My Life lp (Dead Beat Records)

Reigning Sound - Shattered lp (Merge)

Coloured Balls - Heavy Metal Kid lp (Desperate Records)

The Clean - Anthology 4 lp boxset (Merge Records)
Dutch Masters - All In The Wires lp (Spacecase)

Spelling Mistakes - Feels So Good lp (Real Groovy Records )
Ausmuteants - Split Personalities lp (Saturno Records)
Thee Mighty Fevers - Fuck'in Great R'n'R lp (Deadbeat)
Ausmuteants - Stale White Boys Playing Stale Black Music 7'
Flesh World - s/t 12' (La Vida Es Un Mus)

BIG BOYS lps!

13th FLOOR ELEVATORS
Headstone: The Contact Sessions lp
Texas Psych heroes alternate versions!

SICK THOUGHTS.
My Mess My Life lp
(Dead Beat)
The Real Baltimore underground is Drew aka Sick Thoughts!

REIGNING SOUND
Shattered lp/cd
( Merge)

New frpm Greg Cartwright & Co- getting huge raves!

COLOURED BALLS
Heavy Metal Kid lp (Desperate)

Fantastic 2nd album from Lobby LLoyd & co!!

THE CLEAN
Anthology
4lp Box Set (Merge)
Most excellent NZ band's first albums!

DUTCH MASTERS
All In The Wires lp
(Spacecase)
Eric O & Memphis/Oxford superstars archival blast!

SPELLING MISTAKES
Feels So Good lp
(Real Groovy)

More great New Zealand punk / pop stuff!

Goner is the only place in the US to get Real Groovy
Records!

AUSMUTEANTS
Split Personalities lp (Saturno)
Our heroes' first cassette- now on vinyl in extremely limited edition!

THEE MIGHTY FEVERS
Fuckin Great R'N'R!
(Deadbeat)

Teengenerate-styled frantic punk rock supremo!

AUSMUTEANTS
Stale White Boys Playing Stale Black Music 7"
(Easter Bilby)
Aussie
wunderkids continue their roll!

FLESH WORLD
12" ep

(La Vide Es Un Mus)
First release from these Aussies who seem to have moved to SF

BIG BOYS
Lullabies Help The Brain Grow dbl lp
and
No Matter How Long The Line Is dbl lp
(Modern Classics)
Great Texas punk / hardcore.
Legendary!

Goner Records Bulliten Board Goner Records Bulletin Board
 » Name  » Password 
Goner Message Board / Memphis / Tigers are Number One
 Page Page:  ««  1  2  3  4  »»
Alisa
Posted: Feb 22, 2008 7:02 pm    
Great articles, elle and Jack.

Fun and Games?? Was that out on White Station??? I still have my red long sleeved tee that says "Fun and Games Cashier"!!!! (I dated a guy who worked there).

I am going nuts!!!! I got some "shoe whitener" and put GO TIGERS!!! all over my car. I AM ACTUALLY POSTING ON THE TIGER BOARDS!! I even started a thread!! I'm actually seeing other Goners post on the Tiger boards!! (but it seems like they've been around there for a while!)

Oh saispas, you sure wish you were here now. Everyone is SO excited. It's all anyone can talk about when I'm out and about.

GO TIGERS!!!!
elle
Posted: Feb 22, 2008 7:06 pm    
i was just up at the cupboard and saw 2 different families all dressed in tiger blue, kids and parents both. it was so cute! :D

the best thing though is that marquis over there at zinnie's east that's been there for a hot minute that says JOEY DORSEY FOR MAYOR. the only way it would rule harder is if it said CDR FOR MAYOR. hahah.

i love it. i'm about to head to the michael's store to get my last minute sign making materials. washed the cdr jersey and got a thermos to put coffee in tomorrow before heading down to the forum. i'm so stoked!!! watch for me on game day! i'm going to tivo it so i can watch it later.

yay!

GO TIGERS GO!!!!!
Alisa
Posted: Feb 22, 2008 7:09 pm    
elle, I'm coming down tomorrow at noon to take pics so look for me if you're not in some special event. I'll be out on the plaza.
I'm so happy you're getting to go!

GO TIGERS!!!
elle
Posted: Feb 22, 2008 7:09 pm    
err marquee. not marquis. ha.
Jack Stands
Posted: Feb 22, 2008 7:14 pm    
Dude. At work, it's been a two day Tiger Appreciation Day; casual if you're wearing team. I talked to two people today who tried to get down the the Tiger Bookstore for the "I HATE ORANGE" shirts, and they talked about how crazy the traffic is around campus. People who can't go to the game are planning on going down anyway to get background spots on ESPN Game Day. Shitload of vol fans in town, too, from what I hear. Downtown will be a crazy party all day tomorrow.
saispas
Posted: Feb 22, 2008 7:20 pm    
Watch out for Vol fans wearing the orange-white zebra stripe pants.

I challenge a male Tiger fan to go to Kohls and buy a deep blue velour sweat suit and rock it for Game Day. To top it off? Brylcream your hair!
elle
Posted: Feb 22, 2008 7:23 pm    
elle, I'm coming down tomorrow at noon to take pics so look for me if you're not in some special event.

hey do you have my #? you should call me cuz around noon is when they're letting us out of the game day festivities.
bruce
Posted: Feb 22, 2008 8:24 pm    
they actually played the fight song over the intercomm at work today
Alisa
Posted: Feb 22, 2008 8:45 pm | Edited by: Alisa    
no, elle. email me. My email address is under my "member" thing.

Uh, but I don't have a cellphone. I'm sure the girl I'm going down there with does, though. I mean, doesn't everyone?
ChicoHarris
Posted: Feb 22, 2008 9:07 pm    
There was a photo clearly showing a fat UAB fan in an orange prison-suit shirt getting bitch-slapped by Niles in the CA,

Niles: thug
ChicoHarris
Posted: Feb 22, 2008 9:10 pm    
"mempis"? nice touch, jackasses.

I thought the sign was intentionally spelled wrongly because of the way I sometimes hear white Memphians pronounce Memphis "Mempis" and "Mempia" to ridicule the African-American population.
ChicoHarris
Posted: Feb 22, 2008 9:13 pm    
I can only imagine what that neck in the orange shirt said to Niles before being bitch slapped by Pierre!

Pierre: thug
ChicoHarris
Posted: Feb 22, 2008 9:16 pm    
Yes, I wanna know. If some redneck fucked his face up, I wanna see some charges!!

What about thug Pierre Niles striking a person?
ChicoHarris
Posted: Feb 22, 2008 9:19 pm    
Memphis Tigers - Finishing what the Patriots started

Then they best not play against an Ole Miss quarterback.
Alisa
Posted: Feb 22, 2008 9:19 pm    
OH FERCRISSAKES...YOU'RE DRIVING ME NUTS!!!!
ChicoHarris
Posted: Feb 22, 2008 9:20 pm    
niles shouldn't have done what he did

Correct.
ChicoHarris
Posted: Feb 22, 2008 9:22 pm    
You'll find a lot more orange in MempHis than you'll find blue in Knoxville

I hope that doesn't surprise you.
ChicoHarris
Posted: Feb 22, 2008 9:25 pm | Edited by: ChicoHarris    
The University Of Memphis will never be America's team because it's emblematic of its location. Memphis is a fucked up city because America has completely neglected/abandoned most of the urban South. Why would our basketball team qualify as being America's team? Leave that title to Duke or UNC. America don't want us; we don't have any white guys on our team and our fans chant "whoop that trick" outside of games. I keep thinking about all of this whenever I read that post about Ole Miss and the SEC and how they're "too quality" to put up with the likes of Memphis. More like too rich, too white, and totally spoiled.

Correct, Memphis State is never going to be America's team...good grief, people it's a metro commuter school. When Memphis State gets put out in the tournament, America isn't going to think about the school again, unless maybe Belushi dies again.
ChicoHarris
Posted: Feb 22, 2008 9:27 pm    
Pierre Niles can slap rednecks all he wants

Sure, Pierre, go on down to Beale Street and start slapping people, just like you did while wearing a Memphis State uniform. Thug.
ChicoHarris
Posted: Feb 22, 2008 9:30 pm    
I keep thinking about all of this whenever I read that post about Ole Miss and the SEC and how they're "too quality" to put up with the likes of Memphis. More like too rich, too white, and totally spoiled.

You're wrong about too rich, too white and tottally spoiled. Memphis State does not offer enough varsity sports to qualify, nor does it have its own basketball or football facilities. Progress (improve) past that and Memphis State could be considered to play in a conference that plays a tough schedule.
ChicoHarris
Posted: Feb 22, 2008 9:32 pm    
ChicoHarris posts that we're too SCARED to play an SEC team.

I didn't post that the team is, I posted that Calapari is. I did that because he is.
ChicoHarris
Posted: Feb 22, 2008 9:36 pm    
And, Niles' bitchslap made page C17 of the NY Times Sports section (and top story for sports online) today...

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/22/sports/ncaabasketball/22decorum.html ?ref=sports

Of course it did. When a team has a thug like Niles who strikes a person in the stands, that's news.
ChicoHarris
Posted: Feb 22, 2008 9:37 pm    
JOEY DORSEY FOR MAYOR

Would probably be an improvement.
ChicoHarris
Posted: Feb 22, 2008 9:39 pm    
OH FERCRISSAKES...YOU'RE DRIVING ME NUTS!!!!

Love it when a chick tells me that.
ChicoHarris
Posted: Feb 22, 2008 9:41 pm    
My rich buddy in Memphis has really nice season tickets for Grizzlies and Tigers in almost the same spot. He offered me his extra for Saturday, but I turned it down...Marcia Ball is on Prairie Home Companion and Cedric Burnside is playing Two Stick (and I doubt Cedric will strike anyone in the audience).
elle
Posted: Feb 22, 2008 9:50 pm | Edited by: elle    
dude, you could have just quoted all of them in one long post instead of posting 4000 separate posts. srsly. you suck at the internet. and yes, joey dorsey would be an improvement on the mayor. that's probably the only thing i agree with you on. calapari isn't scared of the SEC, which is why we're playing tennessee (which is way the fuck above ole miss, btw). we do offer a substantial amount of varsity sports, btw. isn't it funny that memphis happens to offer men's soccer and the sec DOESN'T and that's why kentucky plays in the conference usa in soccer? i think it's hilarious that you continuously talk about that which you have no clue.

and as far as pierre niles is concerned, he's a tard.

can't believe that you turned down tickets to watch the number 1 and number 2 teams in the nation play basketball. even if it were not memphis playing, i'd still go to that. you must not appreciate the wonderfulness that truly is college basketball.
ChicoHarris
Posted: Feb 22, 2008 9:51 pm    
we do offer a substantial amount of varsity sports, btw
But not enough to qualify for the S.E.C.
ChicoHarris
Posted: Feb 22, 2008 9:52 pm    
and as far as pierre niles is concerned, he's a tard.

What's a tard?
ChicoHarris
Posted: Feb 22, 2008 9:54 pm    
can't believe that you turned down tickets to watch the number 1 and number 2 teams in the nation play basketball. even if it were not memphis playing, i'd still go to that. you must not appreciate the wonderfulness that truly is college basketball.

Granted, it was very tempting just for the spectacle. I even pulled out my old white MSU sweatshirt with the blue letters sewn atop silver ones. But when I saw Cedric was playing Two Stick...
elle
Posted: Feb 22, 2008 9:55 pm    
that's such a large amount of bullshit. we have baseball, basketball, soccer, cross country, football, rifle, golf, tennis, and track and field.

sec only has: football, basketball, baseball, cross-country, golf, track and field, tennis, and swimming.

the only sport we don't have which the sec offers is SWIMMING and instead, we have soccer, which is actually a big deal for memphis. the sec doesn't offer soccer.

so open your mouth and insert a foot, ol' chico, cuz like i said, you continuously talk about that which you have no clue.
elle
Posted: Feb 22, 2008 9:55 pm    
What's a tard?

if you don't understand what that is, you may very well be one too.
ChicoHarris
Posted: Feb 22, 2008 10:25 pm    
that's such a large amount of bullshit. we have baseball, basketball, soccer, cross country, football, rifle, golf, tennis, and track and field.

sec only has: football, basketball, baseball, cross-country, golf, track and field, tennis, and swimming.

the only sport we don't have which the sec offers is SWIMMING and instead, we have soccer, which is actually a big deal for memphis. the sec doesn't offer soccer.

So, this soccer stadium on the Ole Miss campus that has been in use over a decade and all these stats from Ole Miss playing S.E.C. teams and other schools like Notre Dame...it's all an illusion?
https://www.nmnathletics.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=2600&ATCLID=54 1689&SPID=741&SPSID=83380
ChicoHarris
Posted: Feb 22, 2008 10:29 pm    

So, this Ole Miss Rifle team...and all these stats going back years...they don't really exist?
http://www.olemisssports.com/SportSelect.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=2600&KEY=&SPID =755&SPSID=13219
ChicoHarris
Posted: Feb 22, 2008 10:33 pm    

You forgot to mention that unlike Memphis State, Ole Miss has S.E.C. volleyball.
http://www.olemisssports.com/SportSelect.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=2600&KEY=&SPID =755&SPSID=13219
ChicoHarris
Posted: Feb 22, 2008 10:38 pm    

so open your mouth and insert a foot, ol' chico, cuz like i said, you continuously talk about that which you have no clue.

Tell that to babe Chrissy Strini here, a midfielder on the Ole Miss S.E.C. soccer team from Cordova. Don't worry, she won't bitchslap you. She has class.
https://www.nmnathletics.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=12889&SPID=741&DB_ OEM_ID=2600&ATCLID=542796&Q_SEASON=2007
ChicoHarris
Posted: Feb 22, 2008 10:45 pm    
hat's such a large amount of bullshit. we have baseball, basketball, soccer, cross country, football, rifle, golf, tennis, and track and field.

You forgot to mention that unlike Memphis State, Ole Miss has S.E.C. volleyball.

Wups, my bad. Wouldn't want you to miss out on that Ole Miss volleyball team you claim doesn't exist. Here it go:
https://www.nmnathletics.com/SportSelect.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=2600&KEY=&SPID =738&SPSID=12816
ChicoHarris
Posted: Feb 22, 2008 10:48 pm    
Atennis

The Ole Miss tennis team is ranked fourth nationally.
https://www.nmnathletics.com/SportSelect.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=2600&KEY=&SPID =752&SPSID=13138
ChicoHarris
Posted: Feb 22, 2008 10:51 pm    
Your fourth-ranked Ole Miss baseball team opened the season tonight witha victory over Minnesota.
https://www.nmnathletics.com/SportSelect.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=2600&KEY=&SPID =748&SPSID=13045
Jack Stands
Posted: Feb 22, 2008 10:59 pm    
I really wish I had found you at the Limes/Spider Bags show. And set you on fire.
elle
Posted: Feb 22, 2008 11:19 pm    

Tell that to babe Chrissy Strini here, a midfielder on the Ole Miss S.E.C. soccer team from Cordova. Don't worry, she won't bitchslap you. She has class.

i was talking in terms of men's teams.

SEC doesn't have men's soccer teams, hence why kentucky plays in the c-usa for that.

and also on volleyball, once again a women's sport., not a men's sport. and University of Memphis does have a volleyball team. a girl i know is on the team so i know they got it, which you seem to think they don't.
ChicoHarris
Posted: Feb 22, 2008 11:22 pm    
Your fourth-ranked Ole Miss baseball team opened the season tonight witha victory over Minnesota.

Oh, yeah: that was the 27th consecutive season opener victory for Ole Miss. That means the New York Yankees will win the World Series this year, and that will be their 27th championship (and Casy Stengel used to coach at Ole Miss).
ChicoHarris
Posted: Feb 22, 2008 11:23 pm    
i was talking in terms of men's teams.

You got something against women?
ChicoHarris
Posted: Feb 22, 2008 11:25 pm    
SEC doesn't have men's soccer teams, hence why kentucky plays in the c-usa for that.

I think what you meant here was "The S.E.C. doesn't have men's soccer teams, hence Kentucky playing in the C-USA for that."
ChicoHarris
Posted: Feb 22, 2008 11:29 pm    
and also on volleyball, once again a women's sport., not a men's sport. and University of Memphis does have a volleyball team. a girl i know is on the team so i know they got it, which you seem to think they don't.

I wrote such because someone wrote about Memphis State: "that's such a large amount of bullshit. we have baseball, basketball, soccer, cross country, football, rifle, golf, tennis, and track and field." And they posted it under your name, so I thought you wrote it.
elle
Posted: Feb 22, 2008 11:29 pm    

i am a woman, you dickshit.

I think what you meant here was "The S.E.C. doesn't have men's soccer teams, hence Kentucky playing in the C-USA for that."

i'm entirely too tired to give a fucking shit about grammar right now. it's a fucking message board and until you stop posting dumbass crap on it, i'm not going to give a fuck about what in the world i type because whatever it is i type, it certainly won't measure up to the level of idiocy that your posts reach. alright?
ChicoHarris
Posted: Feb 22, 2008 11:31 pm    
And I admit: Ole Miss only added Rifle in the last 30 years, when the S.E.C. upped the number of varsity sports needed for membership, which they may have done to keep out the riff-raff.
ChicoHarris
Posted: Feb 22, 2008 11:32 pm    

i am a woman, you dickshit.

I hear you roar.
elle
Posted: Feb 22, 2008 11:33 pm    
I wrote such because someone wrote about Memphis State: "that's such a large amount of bullshit. we have baseball, basketball, soccer, cross country, football, rifle, golf, tennis, and track and field." And they posted it under your name, so I thought you wrote it.

quit being a fuckstick. usually when people talk about sports, they're generally speaking of men's sports. sexist as that may be, it's the truth. i only posted that because you were speaking about university of memphis not being in the SEC because of the number of varsity sports, which obviously is NOT the reason. please give up your inane argument about why memphis doesn't measure up to ole miss because quite frankly, you don't know anything about it and keep generally assuming things.

and for once and for all, it's UNIVERSITY OF MEMPHIS, not memphis state. it's been that way for a long time now and since you seem to think you're an intelligent person (which i'm sure you're the only person who thinks such), you should know that.
elle
Posted: Feb 22, 2008 11:34 pm    
then why doesn't the SEC have RIFLE listed as a sport they sponsor?
ChicoHarris
Posted: Feb 22, 2008 11:38 pm    
i'm entirely too tired to give a fucking shit about grammar right now. it's a fucking message board and until you stop posting dumbass crap on it, i'm not going to give a fuck about what in the world i type because whatever it is i type, it certainly won't measure up to the level of idiocy that your posts reach. alright?

Oh, "why" after "hence" tripped me up. I thought maybe you were looking for this:

Tell Me Why
by John Lennon and Paul McCartney

Tell me why you cried, and why you lied to me,
Tell me why you cried, and why you lied to me.

Well I gave you ev'rything I had,
But you left me sitting on my own,
Did you have to treat me oh so bad,
All I do is hang my head and moan.

If there's something I have said or done,
Tell me what and I'll apologize,
If you don't really can't go on,
Holding back these tears in my eyes.

Well I beg you on my bended knees,
If you'll only listen to my pleas,
Is there anything I can do,
'cause I really can't stand it, I'm so in love with you.

Jack Stands
Posted: Feb 22, 2008 11:38 pm    
I mean it. I really want to set DiscoHarry on fire.
ChicoHarris
Posted: Feb 22, 2008 11:40 pm    
please give up your inane argument

It's not my inane argument. To be in the S.E.C., a school has to have its own football and basketball facilties. Memphis State doesn't.
Jack Stands
Posted: Feb 22, 2008 11:42 pm    
And I will yell "BENIHANA, MOTHER FUCKER!" the entire time.
ChicoHarris
Posted: Feb 22, 2008 11:43 pm    
and for once and for all, it's UNIVERSITY OF MEMPHIS, not memphis state. it's been that way for a long time now and since you seem to think you're an intelligent person (which i'm sure you're the only person who thinks such), you should know that.

And it was MEMPHIS NORMAL longer than the University of Memphis jazz. Memphis, the Boston/Milwaukee/Atlanta Braves of Conference USA.

Reckon they changed the name so the Memphis people who flunked out of Ole Miss, their "UofM" gear would still be appropriate at Mmephis State?
ChicoHarris
Posted: Feb 22, 2008 11:45 pm    
then why doesn't the SEC have RIFLE listed as a sport they sponsor?

Honey, the S.E.C. doesn't sponsor any sports at Ole Miss.
elle
Posted: Feb 22, 2008 11:45 pm    
you were saying before that the reason memphis was not in the SEC is because they don't have enough varsity sports. i proved you wrong on that and now you're changing your argument to something else.
Jack Stands
Posted: Feb 22, 2008 11:46 pm    
I'd probably do it with lighter fluid. I'd need a match, but there's plenty of burning crosses behind him.
ChicoHarris
Posted: Feb 22, 2008 11:47 pm    
mean it. I really want to set DiscoHarry on fire.

BEING FOR THE BENEFIT OF MR. KITE
by John Lennon and Paul McCartney

For the benefit of Mr. Kite
There will be a show tonight on trampoline
The Hendersons will all be there
Late of Pablo-Fanques Fair, what a scene
Over men and horses hoops and garters
Lastly through a hogshead of real fire!
In this way Mr. K. will challenge the world!
The celebrated Mr. K.
Performs his feat on Saturday at Bishopsgate
The Hendersons will dance and sing
As Mr. Kite flies through the ring don't be late
Messrs. K and H. assure the public
Their production will be second to none
And of course Henry The Horse dances the waltz!
The band begins at ten to six
When Mr. K. performs his tricks without a sound
And Mr. H. will demonstrate
Ten somersaults he'll undertake on solid ground
'ving been some days in preparation
A splendid time is guaranteed for all
And tonight Mr. Kite is topping the bill.
ChicoHarris
Posted: Feb 22, 2008 11:48 pm    
you were saying before that the reason memphis was not in the SEC is because they don't have enough varsity sports. i proved you wrong on that and now you're changing your argument to something e

No, you're wrong, honey. Invest some time looking back through this thread and you will see I have been consistently writing both.
elle
Posted: Feb 22, 2008 11:49 pm    

Honey, the S.E.C. doesn't sponsor any sports at Ole Miss.

well, i got the word wrong then. the SEC doesn't offer rifle as a SANCTIONED sport then. whatever. you know what i meant anyway, asswipe.

and besides ole miss doesn't put "U of M" on their gear. i have yet to see a sweatshirt that says "u of m" on it in reference to university of mississippi. i've seen "ole miss" on shirts and hats, and sometimes an "M" but not "U of M".
ChicoHarris
Posted: Feb 22, 2008 11:50 pm    
I'd probably do it with lighter fluid. I'd need a match, but there's plenty of burning crosses behind him.

I again challenge Jack Stands to show when a cross burning has happened at Ole Miss. I predict he will again be impotent.
Jack Stands
Posted: Feb 22, 2008 11:53 pm    
He should move to Iran. They don't believe there was a Holocaust either.
elle
Posted: Feb 22, 2008 11:53 pm    
Invest some time looking back through this thread and you will see I have been consistently writing both.

just did and the first time you mentioned anything about the basketball/football facilities was when you said it this once:

To be in the S.E.C., a school has to have its own football and basketball facilties. Memphis State doesn't.

you haven't consistently been writing anything but inane b.s..
ChicoHarris
Posted: Feb 22, 2008 11:54 pm    
well, i got the word wrong then. the SEC doesn't offer rifle as a SANCTIONED sport then. whatever. you know what i meant anyway, asswipe.

I don't know about any of the words you're using as far as what the S.E.C. has for rules. I do remember Rifle being added to comply with S.E.C. rules. Whether or not inclusion of the word sanctioned has anything to do with it, I doubt...since Ole Miss is still in the S.E.C.
ChicoHarris
Posted: Feb 22, 2008 11:57 pm    
and besides ole miss doesn't put "U of M" on their gear. i have yet to see a sweatshirt that says "u of m" on it in reference to university of mississippi. i've seen "ole miss" on shirts and hats, and sometimes an "M" but not "U of M".

Not that you would have any reason to notice such, but yes, there is tons and tons of Ole Miss junk with "U of M" on it and sporting red and blue. Come on down here tommorrow night...we'll check out the fans stores and go to the Cedric Burnside/Lighten'in Malcolm show at Two Stick.
Jack Stands
Posted: Feb 22, 2008 11:58 pm    
Mickey Herbert Thomas was an Ole Miss fan.
ChicoHarris
Posted: Feb 22, 2008 11:58 pm    
just did and the first time you mentioned anything about the basketball/football facilities was when you said it this once:

You're wrong. That may be correct for this page of this two-page thread.
ChicoHarris
Posted: Feb 22, 2008 11:59 pm    
He should move to Iran. They don't believe there was a Holocaust either.

Jack Stands, still shooting blanks.
ChicoHarris
Posted: Feb 23, 2008 12:00 am    
you haven't consistently been writing anything but inane b.s..

Have you noticed how much time you're spending writing about Ole Miss on the "Tigers are Number One" thread?
ChicoHarris
Posted: Feb 23, 2008 12:03 am    
Mickey Herbert Thomas was an Ole Miss fan.

Asked for proof: Jack Stands
Jack Stands
Posted: Feb 23, 2008 12:08 am    
Russell Barret. Now THERE'S a real professor.
elle
Posted: Feb 23, 2008 12:09 am    
i haven't been talking about ole miss. i've been defending memphis. and why don't you go back and look through the rest of this thread your damn self like i did earlier and see that you really didn't post on the other page anything about the facilities of either memphis or ole miss?

i'm not missing the game for shit, especially to not hang out with you. and besides, i've already looked at the ole miss fan store (the official one listed on the actual ole miss sports site) and there isn't a single shirt on there that says "u of m" on it. there are plenty of "ole miss" and "university of mississippi" shirts on there, but none that just say "u of m".
Jack Stands
Posted: Feb 23, 2008 12:12 am    
And that whole riot thing never happened...
ChicoHarris
Posted: Feb 23, 2008 12:23 am    
Russell Barret

Ya mean Ross Barnett? There's a name to throw up on the Mississippi legislature the next time they diss Ike Turner (as they did today).
http://www.wmctv.com/Global/story.asp?S=7910726
ChicoHarris
Posted: Feb 23, 2008 12:30 am    
and why don't you go back and look through the rest of this thread your damn self like i did earlier and see that you really didn't post on the other page anything about the facilities of either memphis or ole miss?

You may be right, as I may have thought we were discussing Ole Miss on the "What Is It Memphis State and Coach Jon Calapari Fear?" thread, instead of discussing Ole Miss on the "Tigers are Number One" thread. Alright, ALRIGHT! You come down here tonight and I'll buy the first round.
Jack Stands
Posted: Feb 23, 2008 12:32 am    
Russell Barret was a poli-sci professor at Ole Miss who claimed the cross burning was staged.
ChicoHarris
Posted: Feb 23, 2008 12:35 am    
i'm not missing the game for shit, especially to not hang out with you. and besides, i've already looked at the ole miss fan store (the official one listed on the actual ole miss sports site) and there isn't a single shirt on there that says "u of m" on it. there are plenty of "ole miss" and "university of mississippi" shirts on there, but none that just say "u of m".

I don't know what's on the Web-site. But, when you come down here later tonight, I'll show the goods to you. As for missing the game, I've got a transistor radio you can use while perusing the goods.
Didn't you mean "...especially not to hang out with you."?
ChicoHarris
Posted: Feb 23, 2008 12:37 am    
And that whole riot thing never happened...

You mean the one in Memphis that happened after the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King was murdered by a white guy?
ChicoHarris
Posted: Feb 23, 2008 12:37 am    
the cross burning

Is this the one you have yet to show exists anywhere but thy imagination?
Jack Stands
Posted: Feb 23, 2008 12:38 am    
I'm going to get a shirt that says "Set DiscoHarry on fire."
Jack Stands
Posted: Feb 23, 2008 12:39 am    
DiscoHarris doesn't know shit about history.
Jack Stands
Posted: Feb 23, 2008 12:45 am    
Or Oxford, for that matter. It's as if George W. Bush were in charge of the Mississippi board of tourism.

"And over here, a tornado liberated workers from a wmd plant."
ChicoHarris
Posted: Feb 23, 2008 12:50 am    
Russell Barret was a poli-sci professor at Ole Miss who claimed the cross burning was staged.

You're spelling his name incorrectly and that guy worked against Jim Crow laws. I think you're thinking of Richard Barrett, who moved to Mississippi from New England to be a white supremacist.
Jack Stands
Posted: Feb 23, 2008 1:01 am    
I think DiscoHarry doesn't know fuck about Ole Miss, Oxford, sports or music. I'm not going to waste my time justifying absolute ignorance. Talk about fucking up the party with stupidity.
Find me at a show. I'll tell DiscoHarry all about it. I may have matches, though.

Or DiscoHarry could go to the library and do some research. DiscoHarry may not know Oxford has one or two.
I'll wait.
ChicoHarris
Posted: Feb 23, 2008 1:12 am    
I think DiscoHarry doesn't know fuck about Ole Miss, Oxford, sports or music. I'm not going to waste my time justifying absolute ignorance. Talk about fucking up the party with stupidity.
Find me at a show. I'll tell DiscoHarry all about it. I may have matches, though.

Or DiscoHarry could go to the library and do some research. DiscoHarry may not know Oxford has one or two.
I'll wait.

In other words, you offer no opposition to the corrections I posted about your 12:32 am post.
Great band playing here at the Library tonight: Dickey Do and the Don'ts. You should ride down with Elle. You can buy the first round!
Jack Stands
Posted: Feb 23, 2008 1:24 am    
Jack Stands
Posted: Feb 23, 2008 1:28 am    
Dickey Do and the Don'ts

I'm sure they sound like Jackson Browne if DiscoHair is there. No thanks.
If they don't, they should totally set DiscoHair on fire for "propping" them.
ChicoHarris
Posted: Feb 23, 2008 1:42 am    

Border Radio
by Dave Alvin
One more midnight, her man is still gone
The nights move too slow
She tries to remember the heat of his touch
While listening to the Border Radio

She calls toll-free and requests an old song
Something they used to know
She prays to herself that wherever he is,
He's listening to the Border Radio

chorus:

This song comes from nineteen sixty-two
Dedicated to a man who's gone
Fifty thousand watts out of Mexico
This is the Border Radio
This is the Border Radio

She thinks of her son, asleep in his room
And how her man won't see him grow
She thinks of her life and she hopes for a change
While listening to the Border Radio

(repeat chorus)

They play her tune but she can't concentrate
She wonders why he had to go
One more night and her man is still gone
She's listening to the Border Radio
ChicoHarris
Posted: Feb 23, 2008 1:43 am    
I'm sure they sound like Jackson Browne if DiscoHair is there.

I'll be at the Burnside show at Two Stick, though I may come over when the Kenny Rogers and Dolly Parton impersonators hit the stage.
ChicoHarris
Posted: Feb 23, 2008 1:45 am    
I'm not going to waste my time justifying absolute ignorance.

Does this mean Jack...off?
ChicoHarris
Posted: Feb 23, 2008 1:47 am    
inane b.s..

I know you meant Britney Spears, not Bruce Springsteen.
heyradio
Posted: Feb 23, 2008 2:03 am    
The University of Memphis' basketball facilities are one of the, if not the, finest in the country. I'd tell Chico to do some research on it but an Ole' Piss grad simply doesn't have the capacity. . .

The Beatles suck almost as much as their fans.

Go TIGERS!
saispas
Posted: Feb 23, 2008 8:31 am    
I thought the sign was intentionally spelled wrongly because of the way I sometimes hear white Memphians pronounce Memphis "Mempis" and "Mempia" to ridicule the African-American population.

You must be speaking to some white Memphians I have never known as every white Memphian I know has an entirely different pronunciation than those two to "ridicule the African-American Population". Face it, this sign was simply another indicator that Mississippi's slightly more glamorous neighbor to the East shares your state's poor educational standards.

ChicoHarris: Check out your time stamps above. You spent nearly 5 straight hours on this thread. What the fuck is wrong with you?
Alisa
Posted: Feb 23, 2008 8:44 am    
What the fuck is wrong with you?
What ALL inquiring minds want to know.
Do me a favor, CH, and please stay off this thread today. If you HAVE to continue your ridiculous (almost pathological) defense of Ole Miss (hahahahaha) why don't you go to your "Calipari's Scared" thread and rabblerouse there.
Really.
How old are you? I assume you're a grown man. If so, your mother raised some kind of asshole.

Today's the day!!! GO TIGERS!!!
saispas
Posted: Feb 23, 2008 11:12 am    
Game Day is hilarious so far. Digger Phelps changed his tune from last week and is now saying Memphis will take the game.
col bat guano
Posted: Feb 23, 2008 11:55 am    
I mean it. I really want to set DiscoHarry on fire.
saispas
Posted: Feb 23, 2008 1:53 pm    
Holy. Shit.

From "The WMCTV College Basketball Information Center" (shit you not):

Jack Eaton feels poetic heading into the big game

Updated: Feb 23, 2008 10:59 AM

Jack Eaton, "The Bard of Union Avenue," stopped by the Action News 5 studios Friday night to deliver this poem...

Ode to the Tigers and Whats Their Name
by Jack Eaton

The U of M will win, the Tigers will roar
If Joey Dorsey plays both ends of the floor.

It takes a team like Tennessee
To show him just how good he can be.

Then there's CDR-Great Caesar's Ghost
He'll knock the Vols from pillar to post.

The kid is a stud so here's what I say
Give him the ball and get out of his way.

And the Tiger fans they can help out boys
By making one whole heck of a lot of noise.

As for me, I'll get my nose out of joint
If be don't beat 'em by at least 30 point(s)

So as Coach Cal accepts the cheers of the crowd
As Coach Murphy would say-he did hisself proud.

Go Tigers Go!
Alisa
Posted: Feb 23, 2008 2:01 pm    
GREAT CAESER'S GHOST!!!

Just got back from walking around downtown to take pics of the crowd. Happened upon a pep band performance in Handy Park. It was SO FUN!
Pics later...
saispas
Posted: Feb 23, 2008 2:03 pm    
The video of Eaton leaning on the desk at the Channel 5 studios delivering the poem is on wmctv.com. CLASSIC.
Alisa
Posted: Feb 23, 2008 5:24 pm    
About half of the eventual set of pics:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/alisa_in_memphis/sets/72157603969122562/

I couldn't hep it.
elle
Posted: Feb 23, 2008 11:30 pm    
you got some pics of some people that were standing around me, alisa.

i got to high five cal on his walk down to the court on game day!
Alisa
Posted: Feb 23, 2008 11:35 pm    
I looked for you, elle.

Oh well. I'm still happy about it. It's all okay. And, I was at the HiTone tonight watching the game with the nicest UT guy you'd ever wanted to meet. He kissed me at the end of the game, and it wasn't that bad. He was being sweet, not ugly. So, I don't know...I'm crushed, but not that crushed. It wasn't a rout, or anything. And, I was with Miss Faye and jerryd, and that made it all better somehow.

GO TIGERS!!!!
Alisa
Posted: Feb 23, 2008 11:36 pm    
But I'm telling you, if that CH comes around here gloating I will have a stroke!
Brendan
Posted: Feb 24, 2008 1:11 am    
Thank christ we fucking lost so you monkeys will go back to talking about shitty bands.
elle
Posted: Feb 24, 2008 3:43 am    
we all like different things. i don't make fun of what you like. i could. but i don't.
Brendan
Posted: Feb 24, 2008 5:26 pm    
Unless you can think of something besides underage girls and popping pills . . .
tigergreen
Posted: Feb 25, 2008 10:07 am    
So, I don't know...I'm crushed, but not that crushed.

yeah, it's not losing to #2 that hurts, it's who #2 was.

but it was a great game - if we had rebounded, it would have been a different outcome, but it is what it is...we lost, now it's time to regroup & move on through the tourney.

maybe if ut can sniff past the sweet 16 for once in their miserable lives, then we'll get to play them again this year & get some revenge.

GO TIGERS!
saispas
Posted: Feb 25, 2008 11:33 am    
The thing is, having lived in that silly town of Knoxville, no matter that the Vols mens basketball is No. 1, they won't get half as crazy in support as Memphis does for the Tigers on a weekly basis. Football reigns supreme there and always will.

Let's hope Tyreke Evans didn't get any wild ideas when he was visiting to think he should go to school in Knoxville.
colin
Posted: Feb 25, 2008 6:20 pm    
Joey Dorsey didnt fucking show up and we didnt hit free throws down the stretch is about all there is to it.
timmyjinx
Posted: Feb 25, 2008 6:53 pm | Edited by: timmyjinx    
you forgot the half dozen lays ups we blew.

dorsey's done......can't seem to be there for the big games.

and cal REALLY needs to stop with the "free throws don't matter" crap .that shits old. the tigers need to tighten it up quick..they have not looked good in a month.
saispas
Posted: Feb 25, 2008 7:05 pm | Edited by: saispas    

and cal REALLY needs to stop with the "free throws don't matter" crap

Is he actually saying this shit?

Eaton says it again (someone please explain the Ashley Furniture reference):

Looking back it hurts, it hurts real bad

It was the worst defeat I've ever had.

Cal was out-coached, the players out-played

And the Tiger fans were totally dismayed.

To many of the fans, their No. 1 fear

Was that Joey Dorsey would disappear.

Looking at the box score and checking his stats

He did pretty much just about that.

Derrick Rose was great, and all I can say

Is kid: Don’t leave us for the NBA.

Our free throw shooting was poor, and you can bet

That 48 percent ain’t gonna get it.

Our rebounding was lousy, and in taking stock

On the boards they cleaned our clock.

So after all the pre-game hype, analysis and fuss

The fact remains, they’re better than us.

So as I take one long last final look

I think Ashley Furniture may be off the hook.

By Jack Eaton

elle
Posted: Feb 25, 2008 7:08 pm    
ashley furniture has this deal if you go in and buy furniture (and i think they started at the beginning of the basketball season and it's running through the start of the tournament), it will be free if the tigers win the ncaa tournament.
Alisa
Posted: Feb 25, 2008 7:41 pm    
Jack Eaton's been doing the commercials for the promotion. It lasted three days, and then was repeated for three days. As far as I know the promotion is over. My great-aunt Clarice actually bought some new furniture there.
street
Posted: Feb 25, 2008 8:52 pm    
yeah, it's not losing to #2 that hurts, it's who #2 was.

I hope Vandy beats UT by 20 tomorrow night.
wdotson
Posted: Feb 26, 2008 9:41 am    
I hope they beat them by 50 and then light bruce pearl on fire.
tigergreen
Posted: Feb 26, 2008 11:22 am | Edited by: tigergreen    
I hope they beat them by 50 and then light bruce pearl on fire.

well said.

i'm not as debbie downer as big jack is....we missed some easy shots at the end, and rebounding was horrible.

if the shots had fallen, everyone would be calling cal a genius. pearl's good, no doubt, but cal wasn't outcoached by him.

we were just outscrapped, end of story...before this weekend, i didn't think we needed a loss, but maybe we did - telling a bunch of kids to step up your game when you're undefeated is probably like talking to a brick wall. i'll bet they were all ears in yesterday's practice.
colin
Posted: Feb 26, 2008 11:37 am    
Joey Dorsey didnt fucking show up and we didnt hit free throws is why we lost. Outscrapped...that too I suppose. Dorsey will not be a first round draft pick unless he picks up his game from here on out, and even then very doubtful. Ben Wallace...hahaha right!
elle
Posted: Feb 26, 2008 12:47 pm | Edited by: elle    
i'm not such a debby downer either. we still have a great chance in the tournament. maybe the players will start listening. i dunno.

usually rebounding is one of our strong points. and they weren't grabbin' shit on saturday. proved to be one of the downfalls for the tigers. neither team was playing like a number one team though. hell, neither team was playing like a top 10 team. it was pretty sad, but well, they got little rock to start proving themselves again. all these people who had no faith and probably weren't that big of basketball fans to begin with acted like they lost the goddamn tournament after losing on saturday. it ain't that bad. shit.
timmyjinx
Posted: Feb 26, 2008 12:51 pm    
maybe if they started calling them free points the tigers would understand.

i can understand guys having a bad game or even being out hustled but those free throws are starting to catch up with us. my buddy gave me a ticket to the utep game and in one stretch we missed, i think, 6 in a row. the tenn. game we missed 5 in a row at one point. if we start hitting those then there is not all this end of game heart attack shit.
saispas
Posted: Feb 26, 2008 1:15 pm    
if we start hitting those then there is not all this end of game heart attack shit.

Thank you!

Is this endemic to all of Div-I? Do kids just not know how to shoot them anymore in general cos they are too busy being run & gun ball hawks all through high school?
elle
Posted: Feb 26, 2008 4:48 pm    

Is this endemic to all of Div-I? Do kids just not know how to shoot them anymore in general cos they are too busy being run & gun ball hawks all through high school?

free throws aren't showy enough. they don't look anywhere as cool as a dunk.
heyradio
Posted: Feb 26, 2008 5:59 pm    
free throws aren't showy enough. they don't look anywhere as cool as a dunk.

The Tigers had 0 dunks vs. Knoxvile.
street
Posted: Feb 26, 2008 6:35 pm    
Maybe they need to start allowing NFL-style touchdown celebration dances if you make the front end of a one-and-one. Make a free throw, wind up on SportsCenter - that might tempt some of the guys to spend some extra time practicing!
saispas
Posted: Feb 26, 2008 6:35 pm    
Man. I am so glad I only watched the last two minutes of that game. Pathetic. All that fandom was supposed to get you hyped, guys!
robin
Posted: Feb 26, 2008 7:45 pm    
Did anyone else see Elle high five Coach Cal on Gameday while rockin' a sweet pair of blue-ribboned pigtails and some swanky stunna shades? I spilled my coffee all over myself. It was amazing!!!!!

PLEASE vandy, KILL THE VOLS TONIGHT.
saispas
Posted: Feb 26, 2008 7:51 pm    
Was it on the early Game Day or the one right before the game? I suppose it doesn't matter anymore because I already erased it all from my DVR. I can imagine it though!
saispas
Posted: Feb 26, 2008 10:19 pm    
1:28 to go--Vandy up 7. Alex Gordon is out. Tennessee shooting.
street
Posted: Feb 26, 2008 10:32 pm    
Oh, how sweet it is. God bless Vanderbilt.
eric o
Posted: Feb 26, 2008 10:33 pm    
whoops.
saispas
Posted: Feb 26, 2008 10:35 pm    
How does it feel, Little Orange Man?

At least the Tigers could hold onto that ranking just a TAD bit longer.

Tee hee.
elle
Posted: Feb 26, 2008 10:38 pm | Edited by: elle    
early Game Day

that's when it was on. :D heheh it was fun. i was totally not expecting him to be walking to the court over by where i was sitting so it was a sweet surprise. i was all giddy. heheheh.

and major LOL @ vandy beating ut. dear god that is sweeeeeeeet.
timmyjinx
Posted: Feb 26, 2008 10:39 pm    
oh ma damn!

so very, very sweet.
pinto
Posted: Feb 26, 2008 11:05 pm    
Sucks that the vols lost to vandy.

But you know who we did beat the other night?

...you
elle
Posted: Feb 26, 2008 11:06 pm    

...you

it'll be the last time. we'll kick your ass in the tournament. it's quite alright.
saispas
Posted: Feb 26, 2008 11:18 pm    

...you

'Twas a mere fluke. Sure, it sucked that our team didn't bother showing up at all and your team played just well enough to really kick our ass by 4 points. And this workout (playing a team that was barely playing) exhausted them enough to lose tonight. A fluke.

UT Basketball is for women. Literally.
street
Posted: Feb 27, 2008 12:16 am    
Aw, man.... if my name were Charlie, I would totally want Saispas, Elle, and Alisa to be my Angels. You gals rock!!

And next up for UT? Kentucky (who has beaten them once already this year) and Florida. Let's see if the Vols can't play their way all the way down to a #4 or #5 seed!
elle
Posted: Feb 27, 2008 12:30 am    
they shouldn't even be a #4 or #5. i would say about a #9 or #10 at best.
pinto
Posted: Feb 27, 2008 12:42 am    
I actually wouldn't argue too strongly if you said UT's rank should be 9 or 10. Sounds about right to me.

But a 9 or 10 seed? 36-40 rank in the country?! come on.
Jack Stands
Posted: Feb 27, 2008 12:46 am | Edited by: Jack Stands    
Face it, pinto. Aside from Falafel Hut, big K ain't got shit.
Jack Stands
Posted: Feb 27, 2008 12:55 am    
Oh, yeah. And I did go to that '84 World's Fair thing. How's that Golden Globe workin' for you?

I'm with Cal.
Memphis should secede.
This makes me want to start a thread about TN in general.
pinto
Posted: Feb 27, 2008 12:56 am    
I would add McKay Books and Fall Saturdays to that list.
saispas
Posted: Feb 27, 2008 8:31 am    
McKays is awright...for Tennessee. It thinks more of itself than it is, but Memphis should wish for as good a used store.

Fall Saturdays are great anywhere in Tennessee. I'd say Knoxville is actually one of the more annoying places to be on a Fall Saturday. I mean, The Strip crawling with drunk frat boys and their dads and inbreds from Strawberry Plains? Egads.
wdotson
Posted: Feb 27, 2008 11:12 am    
Memphis should secede.

Agreed!!

If you haven't seen the video of Bruce Pearl tearing up on espn.com. It is awesome....oh it feels good. I think I gain strength for the tears of bruce pearl.
saispas
Posted: Feb 27, 2008 11:29 am    
Link?
wdotson
Posted: Feb 27, 2008 11:35 am    
Bruce Pearl Tearing Up
saispas
Posted: Feb 27, 2008 11:40 am    
That face that the video starts out with makes him look like a Muppet.
tigergreen
Posted: Feb 27, 2008 12:20 pm    
UT Basketball: a tradition of excellence...if you don't have a penis.
robin
Posted: Feb 27, 2008 1:00 pm    
I have never in my life rooted so hard for Vanderbilt.

Scratch that: I have never in my life rooted so hard for a bunch of hillbillies to get their asses whooped by rich Nashvillians in gold jewelry.

Aw, man.... if my name were Charlie, I would totally want Saispas, Elle, and Alisa to be my Angels. You gals rock!!

Can I be one of the substitute Angels from later seasons if one of them decides to leave the show for grander opportunities?
robin
Posted: Feb 27, 2008 1:26 pm    
Memphis State does not offer enough varsity sports to qualify, nor does it have its own basketball or football facilities.

Also, not to rehash the old misery, but I wonder why y'all spent forever discussing the first part of that but nobody seems to want to discuss the second. Dude keeps bringing up how the SEC allegedly has this rule about on-campus arenas and stadiums, but if that's true then what about Rupp Arena? It's in downtown Lexington.

I have a feeling that if this rule is actually on the books, it existed solely because when the SEC formed they wanted to ensure that their teams played in worthwhile facilities due to the fact that none of the teams were (are still, with the exception of Vanderbilt) based in big league-caliber cities who would provide pre-existing venues for SEC teams to play in. Were this really the reason for keeping Memphis out of the SEC, they would placate the SEC by building some teeny tiny on campus arena like they've talked about doing for years and play a handful of games there each year, a la Georgetown.

The real reason(s) the SEC doesn't want Memphis, the reasons we all know to be true and have discussed/heard our angry parents discussing our whole lives, lies at the dirty intersection of recruiting and snobbery. Ole Miss already loses out on all the great basketball players to Memphis; imagine the uproar if they lost all their football players as well. The SEC fears an DeAngelo Williams-type scenario every year, and they can't stand to see it happen with a school like Memphis.
elle
Posted: Feb 27, 2008 1:39 pm    

But a 9 or 10 seed? 36-40 rank in the country?! come on.

i meant ranking. the other person put seed. i'd put them at about a #3 seed. but ranking, 9 or 10.
elle
Posted: Feb 27, 2008 1:46 pm    
and to make a double post - i'm all about seceding from the state of tennessee. nashville and knoxville already pretend we aren't part of the state anyway, so it'd be nothing new if we actually left.

the state of meffis (not mempis as someone suggested because who the fuck talks like that? really.) sounds good to me. cdr can be governor.
robin
Posted: Feb 27, 2008 1:48 pm    
I think the least they could drop to is 6. Their losses- Texas, Kentucky, and Vandy- were all quality, with the exception of Kentucky. Kentucky still SOUNDS like a quality loss in name alone though, so I go with them falling to a 3, maybe 4 ranking with Memphis moving back up to 2 and UNC holding the top spot. And sadly I think the Vols will hold that ranking through the rest of the season, cause the rest of their schedule is a cakewalk. They probably won't lose to Kentucky in Knoxville- although Florida is hungry for a tourney bid, and could totally bring it when the Vols head down to Gainesville.
colin
Posted: Feb 27, 2008 9:15 pm    
Tigers beat an awful Tulsa team tonight and after an almost 30 point lead at one point, letem back in the game in the second half. Joey Dorsey another fucking no show with 5 rebounds and 2 points. Sure...he took his hair out of the cornrows and sported the fro!! Neat..cool.. looks old school and all that shit, but you know what. He played like like shit. Game started with he and Dozier getting their shit blocked going up like little girls on the block and then playing horrible defense. Dorsey may be looking at a career in Italy or something at this point. WEAK. Jeff Robinson and Willie Kemp had a great game. When will this team put a complete game together?
saispas
Posted: Feb 27, 2008 9:22 pm    
Jeff Robinson and Willie Kemp had a great game.

Loved watching Jeff RObinson tonight. But yu are right, Dorsey needs a serious attitude adjustment. CDR is hurt and I was pissed that Cal wasn't forcing him to SIT. He is gonna end up fucking himself up.

nashville and knoxville already pretend we aren't part of the state anyway, so it'd be nothing new if we actually left.

This is because we have too many blacks (how do you write that out in that little Countryfied whisper they'd say it with).

They are also so jealous that we are so fucked up and depressed, yet still have 10000000x the It Factor (without even trying) that they spend money attempting to obtain. SECESSION!
elle
Posted: Feb 27, 2008 10:15 pm    
what's the matter with cdr? i didn't get to watch the game because i was at derby practice.
robin
Posted: Feb 28, 2008 10:24 am    
This is because we have too many blacks (how do you write that out in that little Countryfied whisper they'd say it with).

They are also so jealous that we are so fucked up and depressed, yet still have 10000000x the It Factor (without even trying) that they spend money attempting to obtain. SECESSION!

HILARIOUS! and true. Maybe Memphis could just be the capital of North Mississippi.

Joey Dorsey's afro was not cool. It looked awful. He didn't comb it out and there were bits of debris in it the whole game.
eric o
Posted: Feb 28, 2008 10:51 am    
so we hit like 1000 three's in the first half. our big dudes still didn't rebound and show up, and that's where UT killed Memphis.

so... if you're the coach, blowing out a team in a game you're obviously going to win, why not use it to get better? ban 3 point shooting, every possession has to go through the center, and any rebounds given up to the other team on your basket means the 4 and 5 come out of the game.

nah. let 'em run and gun all day. that's the ticket!

they're still cruising for a losing.
saispas
Posted: Feb 28, 2008 11:05 am    
they're still cruising for a losing.

Agreed. I am still fuming at Cal for allowing CDR to play as long as he did when he was literally limping and wincing up and down the court. And don't get me started on Dorsey...he seems like he is in practice to be a "cancer".
colin
Posted: Feb 28, 2008 12:37 pm    
...well but he had the fro and thats all that counts. Blue Crew had on blue fros. Sooo fuckin cute and funny and then go out against Tulsa and play like shit. Dorsey, hell the whole team dosent seem focused right now and Ill agree with Eric. I would not be suprised if the Tigers lose another between now and the end of the regular season. The Tigers will get no further than the Sweet 16 if some things dont change and quick.
smartypants
Posted: Mar 3, 2008 12:24 pm    
agreed. i am usually in awe of cal's coaching, but lately he's been a little...meh. keeping cdr in the game was wierd. i don't know if anyone can keep dorsey in line, but wtf. scare that motherfucker straight! this is no time to be shitting around dammit.
robin
Posted: Mar 4, 2008 5:20 pm    
is joey freaking out about next year or something and panicking? wtf is going on with him? what's the gossip around town? he's been a completely different player for the past month or so. it's pathetic.
eric o
Posted: Mar 4, 2008 5:41 pm    
Calipari hinted that dorsey's freaking out because of the pressure of what's coming next year. "make your own story, go get carried off the court at the end of the tournament..."

people are also talking about how jeff robinson didn't get to play at all in the last game. kinda weird... he's been coming on strong. will be a beast next year.
Alisa
Posted: Mar 4, 2008 5:46 pm    
well, robin...I keep harking back to the post (can't find it now) that Joey is really bats. And, in a lot of ways I kind of believe it, because he's just way acting up.
Did you see the game on Saturday? The network made a big deal because there were some words before the game between Joey and that guy with the floppy dreads on the other team. They kept replaying (AGAIN!) Joey being held back. If I was Cal I'd put him through some primal scream therapy, or something.
I do feel bad for him. He's fucking blowing it.
robin
Posted: Mar 4, 2008 6:12 pm | Edited by: robin    
yeah, the game on saturday was insane! it drove me nuts to watch. i think he's bipolar and unmedicated or on the wrong meds or something. he's just gotten crazier and crazier throughout the years. lately he's doing everything on the court half assed- not trying hard enough to get himself open for passes, trying to rebound with one hand, etc- but getting into fights with other teams' players with a ferocious intensity. it's heartbreaking, really. i predict that one size-desperate NBA team takes a shot on him at the end of the second round of the draft, he mostly sits on the bench for a year, and then they drop him because he beats somebody's ass to a bloody pulp.

there's a story on the flyer website about senior day and in the comments people are saying andre allen may play next year with fifth-year eligibility because he sat out his freshman year. is there any truth to that?
saispas
Posted: Mar 4, 2008 6:37 pm    
I hope its true! Dorsey. Well just an offhand clinical diagnosis would be a dual Axis I Bipolar I and Oppositional Defiant Disorder. Axis II Borderline Personality Disorder and Axis Whatever: Idiot.
colin
Posted: Mar 5, 2008 12:26 pm    
Yeah man...last game he gets in a fight pregame, dosent even really play that well against a shitty USM team and then I see him in the paper the next day standing up at the benching shushing the USM crowd! The dude is just not backing up this "badass" persona that he has taken on. I hope he gets shit right in his head man, if not he will be playin Europe this time next year against a buncha nobodys. Good chances of that heppening right about now. Next up...an absolutely awful SMU team. They are one of the worst in all of college basketball. We should beat that team by at least 40 points!
eric o
Posted: Mar 5, 2008 12:41 pm    
let's give it up for EARL BARRON!

mediocre 7 footer, slugged it out in the nba developmental team, great attitude. did he get a ring?

where's chris massie or kelly wise now?
robin
Posted: Mar 5, 2008 12:49 pm    
in other former tigers developments....

http://www.wishtv.com/global/story.asp?s=7936761

keep makin' memphis look classy, kids!!
Alisa
Posted: Mar 5, 2008 12:50 pm    
Kelly Wise is apparently playing basketball in Jordon!
http://www.asia-basket.com/imports.asp?Cntry=JOR&CntryNbr=25

And, it looks like Chris Massie is in Israel.
http://www.eurobasket.com/player.asp?Cntry=ESP&PlayerID=46090&AmNotSur e=1
colin
Posted: Mar 5, 2008 1:07 pm    
I would take Chris Massie on my team anyday before Dorsey or Kelly Wise. Kelly Wise was one lazy motherfucker. Earl is havin ok year too...Heat aint but hes hangin in there. How can the Heat have one of the worst records in the NBA. Now that shiot baffles me.
Alisa
Posted: Mar 5, 2008 1:23 pm    
I think TK and I are going up to the HiTone again this week to watch the game tonight. It is a cheap and good dinner, and a good time. They have good food there with half price wings and pizza on game nights.
saispas
Posted: Mar 5, 2008 2:34 pm    
Aw, Kelly Wise wasn't all THAT lazy:

n his third year at The University of Memphis, Kelly Wise continues to contribute to the success of the Tigers.

Before the season began, Wise was selected for the pre-season All-Conference USA team.

Wise leads Memphis in scoring (14.6 ppg) and rebounding (11.1 rpg). He is also the only player in Conference USA averaging a double-double.

Wise currently has 143 career blocks, which ranks 7th all-time at The U of M.

He also broke arena records at Miami and Tennessee by pulling down 21 boards.

With 1.1 seconds left in the game, Wise went to the charity stripe and hit the shot that clinched the win for the Tigers against DePaul, improving a three-game winning streak to four, and recording 13 points and 18 boards in the process.

"We just need to keep playing like we have been playing," Wise said. "We got off to a slow start, but we just need to come together."

In his sophomore season, Wise was named All-Conference USA third team. Wise was ranked in the top three for rebounding, pulling down 8.6 boards per game and averaging 2.5 blocks per game.

His 14.5 ppg was ranked 12th in C-USA. He also had 71 blocks his sophomore year, which ranks 7th-best season in school history.

As a freshman at The U of M, Wise was ranked fourth in the league in blocked shots.

In his first college start, Wise made an impact by scoring a game-high 20 points, bringing down eight rebounds and blocking five shots.

He ended his freshman season averaging 6.2 points and 5.0 rebounds.

As a senior at Choctawhatchee High School, Wise averaged 19.8 points, 11.1 rebounds and 4.3 blocked shots per game. His junior year he led the team to a 26-7 record, averaging 15.5 ppg, 11.1 rpg and 3.8 bpg.

I'd take him over Dorsey and his crazy ass right now. Massie was my dream boy. I am just pissed cos Dorsey really worked his ass off to improve every single year; I never imagined he would have worked up to what he was at the beginning of this season. But he has that damn crazy gene. Can't get widdit.
heyradio
Posted: Mar 5, 2008 2:37 pm    
Yeah man...last game he gets in a fight pregame

The S. Miss player instigated it. He even admitted as much in their local paper:

from the Hattiesburg paper:

The Golden Eagles (15-13, 7-7) came out of the locker room with a no-fear attitude, with USM sophomore guard Sai'Quon Stone making a statement prior to the game. Stone tangled with the biggest man on the Memphis team, senior forward Joey Dorsey, who stands 6-foot-9, 265 pounds.

"I pushed him first because I wanted to let Dorsey know that he wasn't going to intimidate us," Stone said. "I had to knock the bully out of him."
Alisa
Posted: Mar 5, 2008 2:42 pm    
oh fercrissakes.
But, he has made hisself a sitting duck for this kind of crap.
saispas
Posted: Mar 5, 2008 3:38 pm    
Dorsey needs to learn a lesson from the little man on the team, Andre Allen. He NEVER gets ruffled and does all the ruffling. When he finally talks enough smack to get under the player's skin, he WALKS AWAY, smiling. That is how it is done!
colin
Posted: Mar 5, 2008 9:09 pm    
I dont care who started it. Dorsey has officially made himself out to be an egotistical fod and he will suffer from that the rest of the season. Oh...the Tigers clown on an awful SMU team tonight. Here are what our big men were up tonight:

Joey Dorsey 8 Reb 6 Pts

Shawn Taggert 3 Reb 1 Pt

Robert Dozier 3 Reb 3 Pts

Wow...8 points from our big guys against one of the worst teams in Division 1 Basketball. Im as a big of a Tiger basketball fan as most of you, but Im telling you we are fucking in for it if our bigs dont fucking show up. Im not talking about the random dunk by Dozier at the end of the game or the fucking alley oop off the glass dunk with like a minute left. Im talking about a solid game from maybe just one of those dudes. Gees.
saispas
Posted: Mar 5, 2008 9:36 pm    
I dunno, I just wanna start being a little positive. I have been complaining too much since that sad day when we lost. Sure, Dorsey is an underachieving, hotheaded moron, but what else is new? We can't control them, but we can be fans and not fairweathered ones at that, right? I know they disappoint, but I am ready to get behind them and look at what is good about them and hope for better. Otherwise, I should just say fuck all and like the Tarheels or some shit.
robin
Posted: Mar 6, 2008 5:18 pm    
Dorsey needs to learn a lesson from the little man on the team, Andre Allen. He NEVER gets ruffled and does all the ruffling. When he finally talks enough smack to get under the player's skin, he WALKS AWAY, smiling.

I loooove watching andre allen talk shit when he's guarding somebody. He gets all up in their face and his mouth keeps moving a mile a minute even if he's running backwards down the floor. It's fucking awesome to watch!
elle
Posted: Mar 7, 2008 1:11 pm    

I loooove watching andre allen talk shit when he's guarding somebody. He gets all up in their face and his mouth keeps moving a mile a minute even if he's running backwards down the floor. It's fucking awesome to watch!

this is why he is my favorite.
saispas
Posted: Mar 7, 2008 3:57 pm    
This is why he remains on the Who I Want To Meet section on stupid MySpace!
elle
Posted: Mar 7, 2008 4:16 pm    

i added him on myspace and he actually is now my myspace friend. i was being nosy and looked him up. heheh.
street
Posted: Mar 8, 2008 5:40 pm | Edited by: street    
Dear Joey,

Nice Senior Day! Any chance you have about seven or eight more of those kind of games left in you?

Love,
Everybody in Mempis
colin
Posted: Mar 8, 2008 6:23 pm    
No shit!! Great game by the big man. I went to the game and the Tigers defense was fucking incredible today. The whipped UAB's ass from start to finish man. Hells yeah!
saispas
Posted: Mar 8, 2008 8:23 pm    
Dear Joey,

Nice Senior Day! Any chance you have about seven or eight more of those kind of games left in you?

Love,
Everybody in Mempis

Ditto.

Love, Mempis

tigergreen
Posted: Mar 9, 2008 3:16 pm    
Great game by the big man. I went to the game and the Tigers defense was fucking incredible today. The whipped UAB's ass from start to finish man. Hells yeah!

man, it was fun to watch us DRILL those redneck pieces of crap...i've been wanting revenge on them since the gawd-awful behavior of their crowd at home.

at least they got to see how some REAL basketball fans, who have a program that's actually going places, act (hint: it doesn't involve throwing glass or plastic.)

couldn't have pictured a better senior day for joey - it was great to see him smiling on the court again! if we played like that all the time, no one could beat us.
jerryd
Posted: Mar 9, 2008 4:00 pm    
16 pts and 12 boards is quite a day. He was killing! It was a fun game.

Niles even got 3 pts!!! That place was going nuts yesterday.
elle
Posted: Mar 9, 2008 5:30 pm    
kinda neat joey dorsey interview in the memphis sport mag this month. you can read it online too.
eric o
Posted: Mar 9, 2008 8:06 pm    
god i wanted chance mcgrady to score. damn!

give us a bolst!
robin
Posted: Mar 10, 2008 5:40 pm    

mine too!!!!! totally ghey.

elle, can you post that joey dorsey interview link? i tried using the one you texted me but i couldn't make it work.

the game on saturday was the freakin' best. i couldn't help but stand up and cheer the whole time. i even woke my roommate up, oops.

here's hoping that joey dorsey's (possibly manic) upswing lasts through mid-april. mood stabilizers, joey dorsey's sports psychologist!! mood stabilizers!!!
elle
Posted: Mar 11, 2008 12:04 am    
it's at http://www.memphissport.net -- there is a link on the site to read the current issue and that's the one he is in.
saispas
Posted: Mar 11, 2008 9:06 am    
Who is going to the tourney????
robin
Posted: Mar 11, 2008 4:54 pm    
it's at http://www.memphissport.net

this is the most impossible to read online magazine ever, but i am trying to get through it.
wdotson
Posted: Mar 11, 2008 4:58 pm    
We also did a Dorsey video interview.

DORSEY
robin
Posted: Mar 11, 2008 5:02 pm    
We also did a Dorsey video interview.

but did you uncover the shocking news that his favorite movie is "norbit"?

how sad is it when he talks about never having anyone tell him as a child that he'd do anything in life? poor kid. it explains a lot.
saispas
Posted: Mar 11, 2008 5:37 pm    
Oh yeah. He reminds me of many of the boys I used to work with;that crazy irrational anger? Mood stabilizers is right.
jerryd
Posted: Mar 11, 2008 5:49 pm    
Who is going to the tourney????

I may get a ticket for the weekend, thats about the time I can go.
colin
Posted: Mar 13, 2008 2:32 pm    
UAB lost to Tulsa today in CUSA Tournament, which confirms that those bitches will not be getting in the NCAA Tournament. The bubble has burst for UAB!
tigergreen
Posted: Mar 13, 2008 3:45 pm    
UAB lost to Tulsa today in CUSA Tournament, which confirms that those bitches will not be getting in the NCAA Tournament. The bubble has burst for UAB!

once again, couldn't happen to a nicer fanbase!
saispas
Posted: Mar 13, 2008 4:44 pm    
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Dat's what u get fer messin wif MEMPIS.
Alisa
Posted: Mar 13, 2008 7:06 pm    
Go Tigers. We're up a bunch, and Joey's looking pretty good!
 Page Page:  ««  1  2  3  4  »»
Your answer
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  URL Link  Disable BB codes *What's this?

» Name  » Password 

victim of time

By posting on this board you agree to these Terms Of Use

Page loading time (secs): 0.148