Fix / Modern
7" out Now!

AUSMUTEANTS lp

AUSMUTEANTS
Great young Aussie
Punks - Synths + Snot!

UPCOMING GONER EVENTS
Thursday August 28 The Clean, Boogarins, Nots HiTone
Gonerfest 11 September 25-28 2014 more info here!

13th Floor Elevators - Headstone Contact Sessions lp

Sick Thoughts - My Mess My Life lp (Dead Beat Records)

Reigning Sound - Shattered lp (Merge)

Coloured Balls - Heavy Metal Kid lp (Desperate Records)

The Clean - Anthology 4 lp boxset (Merge Records)
Dutch Masters - All In The Wires lp (Spacecase)

Spelling Mistakes - Feels So Good lp (Real Groovy Records )
Ausmuteants - Split Personalities lp (Saturno Records)
Thee Mighty Fevers - Fuck'in Great R'n'R lp (Deadbeat)
Ausmuteants - Stale White Boys Playing Stale Black Music 7'
Flesh World - s/t 12' (La Vida Es Un Mus)

BIG BOYS lps!

13th FLOOR ELEVATORS
Headstone: The Contact Sessions lp
Texas Psych heroes alternate versions!

SICK THOUGHTS.
My Mess My Life lp
(Dead Beat)
The Real Baltimore underground is Drew aka Sick Thoughts!

REIGNING SOUND
Shattered lp/cd
( Merge)

New frpm Greg Cartwright & Co- getting huge raves!

COLOURED BALLS
Heavy Metal Kid lp (Desperate)

Fantastic 2nd album from Lobby LLoyd & co!!

THE CLEAN
Anthology
4lp Box Set (Merge)
Most excellent NZ band's first albums!

DUTCH MASTERS
All In The Wires lp
(Spacecase)
Eric O & Memphis/Oxford superstars archival blast!

SPELLING MISTAKES
Feels So Good lp
(Real Groovy)

More great New Zealand punk / pop stuff!

Goner is the only place in the US to get Real Groovy
Records!

AUSMUTEANTS
Split Personalities lp (Saturno)
Our heroes' first cassette- now on vinyl in extremely limited edition!

THEE MIGHTY FEVERS
Fuckin Great R'N'R!
(Deadbeat)

Teengenerate-styled frantic punk rock supremo!

AUSMUTEANTS
Stale White Boys Playing Stale Black Music 7"
(Easter Bilby)
Aussie
wunderkids continue their roll!

FLESH WORLD
12" ep

(La Vide Es Un Mus)
First release from these Aussies who seem to have moved to SF

BIG BOYS
Lullabies Help The Brain Grow dbl lp
and
No Matter How Long The Line Is dbl lp
(Modern Classics)
Great Texas punk / hardcore.
Legendary!

Goner Records Bulliten Board Goner Records Bulletin Board
 » Name  » Password 
Goner Message Board / Memphis / Tigers are Number One
 Page Page:  1  2  3  4  »»
jnt
Posted: Jan 21, 2008 8:25 pm    
After 25 years, the Tigers are Number One. Hear from Coach Cal here and read more here.
Alisa
Posted: Jan 21, 2008 8:46 pm    
I am so excited! GO TIGERS! WE'RE NUMBER 1!!!! WE'RE NUMBER 1!!!!
Alisa
Posted: Jan 21, 2008 8:57 pm    
Thanks for that Coach Cal clip.
He said all the right things.
tigergreen
Posted: Jan 21, 2008 10:28 pm    
can't wait for that tennessee game on feb. 23. maybe by then it'll be a #1 vs #2, and we can blow all that obnoxious orange back to k-town.
saispas
Posted: Jan 21, 2008 11:26 pm    
Wish I could be there for that one too. Someone please make a sign that says "Bruce Pearl looks like he sells used Kia's" sign for me. Sure, Cal looks like he sells used Lexus' (Lexi?) but, hey...
Alisa
Posted: Jan 21, 2008 11:57 pm    
Not a word against Cal...I don't want to hear it.
People have been merciless about him, but that kind of ended a couple of years ago.
Watch the clip in the other thread, saispas. He seemed pretty not-full-of-shit in it.
Jack Stands
Posted: Jan 22, 2008 12:11 am    
I can't wait to play old miss.

Oh, that's right...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!
saispas
Posted: Jan 22, 2008 12:16 am    
Oh, don't get me wrong...I have been defending that man since the beginning, but everyone deserves good natured ribbing!!! Gotta admit, that hair of his...right at home on a Cordova used car lot!
Alisa
Posted: Jan 22, 2008 12:24 am    
Yeah, he's definitely got some product going on there.
I've always been a defender too, and the "kinder gentler" Coach Cal of the clip was particularly attractive. For gods sake, I thought he was going to tear up there for a minute.
Miss Faye
Posted: Jan 22, 2008 1:37 pm    
The S MS game Saturday was awesome. The whole place was chanting "WE'RE NUMBER ONE!!! WE'RE NUMBER ONE!!! WE'RE NUMBER ONE!!!" It had to be a bit intimidating for the other team. Very exciting!!!
street
Posted: Jan 23, 2008 5:11 am    
This just in:

Kentucky 72, Tennessee 66

And the week just keeps getting better...
eric o
Posted: Jan 23, 2008 5:52 am    
whoah!
tigergreen
Posted: Jan 23, 2008 4:18 pm    
couldn't have happened to a better fanbase.
saispas
Posted: Jan 23, 2008 5:10 pm    

Kentucky 72, Tennessee 66

YESSSSSSSSS!

Have to say though, Kentucky is starting to wake the fuck up. They are starting to play.
saispas
Posted: Jan 24, 2008 6:00 pm    
Um, thank god we pulled that one off. The sound was down at the bar but it seemed to be another of those "wear them out" type games.
colin
Posted: Jan 24, 2008 6:56 pm    
Yep...looked like shit the whole first half. Bad shooting, bad in transition and we werent running our regular offense for some reason. One thing that the team, as well as fans must realize is that for all the rest of the Conference games, that will be the biggest game of the season for all of those teams. To pull an upset on the number 1 ranked team in the country would be the biggest win in most of the teams in Conference USA's history(except for Houston). Especially with the road games, those teams and their fans will be after our ass! Lets hope for a big convincing win on Saturday after the Zags! Oh yeah...that CSTV shit is the worst broadcast of a sporting event I have ever seen. Tech. diff. the whole game and I swear the time and score werentt on the screen at least half of the game. Go Tigers!
eric o
Posted: Jan 24, 2008 9:13 pm    
was working the grizz game... they were asking for updates, and i'd have to say, "i dunno, haven't seen the bug" (the teams, score & time bit on the screen) "in about five minutes!" then the score would go up, down, then disappear offscreen again. cue glitch on attempted replay! whoo!

UNBELIEVABLY ghetto production!
heyradio
Posted: Jan 24, 2008 11:36 pm    
CSTV = Crappy Signal TeleVision

That was the worst game they've played all season and still won by 15. They used the Triangle-and-two. Our second worst game of the season, against USC, a Triangle-and-two was employed as well. We better learn to beat that because I can guarantee that won't be the last time we see it.
elle
Posted: Jan 25, 2008 5:02 am    
eek. cal's got to get the boys to work on that type of defense and be able to penetrate it. grrrrr. they just are almost afraid to get down in the paint when folks play that type of game. i missed the game due to being in class, but i dunno if i could take that type of nerve wracking in the middle of the conference schedule. please boys, don't screw up! ack!

i can't wait til the zags game! yeah!

kentucky is waking the fuck up. they've had two major wins here recently - tennessee and vandy, although the rest of their season they've sucked buttermilk. what happened to them? i just remember the time when rick pitino was their coach and they had mashburn and gimenez and all those assholes that i hated cuz they would rain 3's like it was their job (and they would beat indiana. booooo!). are they rebuilding or ??? sounds like they got a decent freshman this year, but he can't carry a whole team himself. what's their story? i haven't paid them much mind this year or the past few years really.

speaking of indiana...their team is looking pretty good this year too. my dad keeps saying how crazy it would be if memphis ended up playing them in the tournament at all. i might cry since it's my two favorites, and both my alma mater. (although memphis is the best in my eyes.)
colin
Posted: Jan 25, 2008 3:47 pm    
Kentucky has a great guard...maybe a freshmen named Rammel Bradley(sp?). Pretty quick. Kentucky has 3 or 4 Mcdonalds All Americans on the team so they are no slouch for sure. No doubt, never want to have to play Indiana in March. That Tulsa game the other night was nerve racking for sure. They will all feel like that to me from here on out esp. now since we are #1 and everybody is out to get us. Tomorrow mornin the hoopinest bunch of white boys in the Country and always are....Gonzaga. They will play us tough. Hopefully we can pressure them and get some points out on the break. Not many fast break points the other night at all.
elle
Posted: Jan 25, 2008 8:58 pm    
tomorrow morning is going to be tough. gorganzola is going to be good. i just hope we can muster a win.
jerryd
Posted: Jan 25, 2008 9:25 pm    
We're getting to the game extra early so we can get some good student seating. Going to be a great game
saispas
Posted: Jan 26, 2008 5:57 pm    
If they had been able to make some motherfucking FREE THROWS, that would have been an entirely different game; but at least it was exciting! GO TIGERS! Love how crowded and blue it was in there--awesome!
elle
Posted: Jan 26, 2008 8:00 pm    
never want to have to play Indiana

dude, they lost to uconn today! at home! crazings.

villanova, wisconsin, ole miss and pittsburgh all got beat. dayton and georgetown are losing right now too. the ratings are all going to change around again. it's crazy. i just wish that someone would kick kansas' ass. duke plays maryland at maryland tomorrow and i hope they get the shit kicked out of them too.
saispas
Posted: Jan 27, 2008 11:40 am    
Good to finally meet you last night, elle!

So, Duke plays Maryland again already? Didn't Maryland just beat NC? GO MARYLAND! Kansas is infinitely hateable as a "basketball dynasty" but they kick ass. I hope they lose.
Miss Faye
Posted: Jan 27, 2008 3:05 pm    
If they had been able to make some motherfucking FREE THROWS, that would have been an entirely different game; but at least it was exciting! GO TIGERS! Love how crowded and blue it was in there--awesome!
That, and if they had been able to get inside. Gonzaga had some crazy defense. That was an awesome and exciting game - we were standing/jumping up and down for most of it. I wore myself out.
elle
Posted: Jan 27, 2008 5:06 pm    
vandy just got beat by florida and clemson got beat by miami. dang. upset city this weekend. good thing tigers were not a part of the losing trend among the top 25.

come on duke, lose this game.
saispas
Posted: Jan 27, 2008 5:08 pm    
I wore myself out.

I was screaming the entire time too. I napped for 3 hours afterwards. I think they were certainly being wusses about even trying to get inside once Gonzaga cranked it up. Dorsey even. And we kept letting Pargo in way too easily when were on D. We just drove by the Finch Center and we hoped they were in there practicing.
Jack Stands
Posted: Jan 28, 2008 12:59 am    
I was screaming the entire time too.
Are you here yet?
saispas
Posted: Jan 28, 2008 8:49 pm    
Shit, man. Already come and gone!

We'll be back for "good" in mid-late June!!!
Jack Stands
Posted: Jan 28, 2008 8:51 pm    
Yeah, got the news from Sam today. Crap. I'll save some coffee for you.
colin
Posted: Jan 30, 2008 6:39 pm    
Big game this eanin! Tigers @ Houston in about 30...gonna be a tough away game for sure. Showem what you got Tigers.
jerryd
Posted: Jan 30, 2008 8:58 pm | Edited by: jerryd    
Tigers are rollin!!!

but more importantly......

Kansas is going to get beat!!!!!!
Alisa
Posted: Jan 30, 2008 9:25 pm    
CDR - 30 pts.
Dorsey - 22 (!) rebounds

Kansas lost!
street
Posted: Jan 30, 2008 10:30 pm    
22 rebounds is just insane. And the fall of the Jayhawks? What a way to end the month of January!!

But more importantly, what exactly is the fashion term for that hairdo/wardrobe combo that the Houston coach was rockin'?
elle
Posted: Jan 31, 2008 12:30 am    
yeah!!!!

i am elated both that we won and that kansas fell. joy joy joy!
Alisa
Posted: Jan 31, 2008 6:31 am    
what exactly is the fashion term for that hairdo/wardrobe combo that the Houston coach was rockin'?

Prince Homage Night at a poof bar
eric o
Posted: Jan 31, 2008 8:05 am    
hey, props to CSTV. score was onscreen, replays didn't cause meltdowns, professional production in what looked to be a dimly-lit high school gym.

early on, while they were struggling, the houston guard was acting up. derrick rose brought the ball up court casually then just BLEW by him. then it was 5 on 4. verrrrry impressive.
colin
Posted: Jan 31, 2008 10:19 am    
No doubt man..that gym did look dark. The Cougars were takin it to'em for a minute gettin all excited and shit. Tigers got hot and it was pretty much all over. Dorsey had a ESPN To Ten'r last night with that one handed rebound dunk put back. Yes!
saispas
Posted: Jan 31, 2008 5:50 pm    
Maybe I was watching another game but that game made me all nurrrrrrrvous. Sure, we would be winning by nearly 20 points and within moments, go down to 8. CDR was saving our ass...and yeah, the 22 rebounds by Joey did not hurt. But, eek, man...that was a mess of a game, some seriously dicey shit. And anyone who thinks Houston is a threat compared to countless other teams we are about to possibly face needs to get checked. Damn, I sound like Colin!

The refs were total assholes, though. Ticky tack shit on both teams.

No doubt, I love the Tigers but this is getting scary. They need to pull it together a lot faster and get more consistent to be safer going into the Madness.
dtrain
Posted: Jan 31, 2008 6:20 pm    
Go Tiger High!
eric o
Posted: Jan 31, 2008 6:51 pm | Edited by: eric o    
dude, DARKO had a monster night for the grizz last night, too!

(yeah, they lost)
colin
Posted: Jan 31, 2008 7:24 pm    
..and it looks like Stro has found himself a one way ticket outta town. That dude just dosent get it I dont think. Dude..your makin millions playing basketball. Just behave.
saispas
Posted: Feb 1, 2008 12:15 pm    
Wasn't it Stoudi that hit the high road to San Antone? What a BITCH that shrimp is. Mighty Mouse? Harumph.
colin
Posted: Feb 1, 2008 12:49 pm    
Yep...Damon is goin to San Antonio. Stromile Swift is workin his way out of town as well but in other ways.
Alisa
Posted: Feb 2, 2008 1:55 pm    
Oh SHIT. Tigers tied with UTEP at the Forum with five minutes left. Dorsey's fouled out.
Alisa
Posted: Feb 2, 2008 2:14 pm    
Dodged a bullet for sure. 70-64. Jeesh!
I missed all but the last five minutes of the game, but they were looong minutes.
Jack Stands
Posted: Feb 2, 2008 2:15 pm    
Pretty intense.
colin
Posted: Feb 2, 2008 2:19 pm    
Looked like fucking shit! Missed 20 free throws and only made 1 3pt. basket all afternoon! Better get shit straight...and soon!
Alisa
Posted: Feb 2, 2008 2:31 pm    
yeah, the stats looked pitiful. What was even scarier was the UTEP's stats looked pretty pitiful too!
elle
Posted: Feb 3, 2008 2:04 pm    
i'm going to pretend like that game didn't happen. if i were coach cal, i would be making the boys shoot free throw shots all day instead of having plans to watch the super bowl.
saispas
Posted: Feb 3, 2008 2:18 pm    
i would be making the boys shoot free throw shots all day instead of having plans to watch the super bowl.

That is what I have been saying since the Gonzaga game; that shit will kill us.
franken
Posted: Feb 3, 2008 8:04 pm    
Thank God for the Tigers. Because the Grizzlies are nothing to cheer about:

http://www.nbaroto.com/2008/02/kwame-brown-pau-gasol-trade-what-now.ht ml
ChicoHarris
Posted: Feb 11, 2008 4:03 am    
vandy just got beat by florida and clemson got beat by miami. dang. upset city this weekend. good thing tigers were not a part of the losing trend among the top 25.

Don't worry, baby. With Memphis State playing the weak schedule of a team in a weak league, you probably won't have to worry about your team losing until the post-season, where playing that fluffy schedule is going to haunt and hurt them.
saispas
Posted: Feb 11, 2008 8:40 am    
Hmmm. Somehow playing in and dominating a weak league didn't stop the Tigers from getting into the Elite Eight for the last two years. Sure we also lost in the EE for the last two years, but how many Division I teams are there? Hmmm? And where were the "Rebels" in all that? Thought so.
ChicoHarris
Posted: Feb 11, 2008 8:57 am    
Hmmm. Somehow playing in and dominating a weak league didn't stop the Tigers from getting into the Elite Eight for the last two years.

No, genius, it didn't. Playing in the Memphis State creampuff league made it easier. If Memphis State played in the S.E.C., they might not even make the playoffs. And once Memphis State got there, they played in the creampuff part of the field, which narrowed down to the elite eight, where Memphis State, playing formidable talent for a change, got sent home.
ChicoHarris
Posted: Feb 11, 2008 8:59 am    
Sure we also lost in the EE for the last two years, but how many Division I teams are there? Hmmm?

Well, it's the elite eight, so not more than eight. Possibly there were some division II schools involved? I don't know. I think the answer to your question probably is eight.
ChicoHarris
Posted: Feb 11, 2008 9:00 am    
And where were the "Rebels" in all that? Thought so.

I thought this thread was about Memphis State?
sgtsawzall
Posted: Feb 12, 2008 4:11 pm    
if memphis state played in the sec they might not even make the playoffs? haha i believe you are refering to the tournament and i am pretty sure they would "make the playoffs" if they played in the sec/big east/acc/northern sun 10 etc... they do actually have a few decent players on the team.
elle
Posted: Feb 12, 2008 4:38 pm | Edited by: elle    
cal made sure that the tigers played several teams that were in various other conferences (such as ut, gonzaga, uconn, etc.) if you're going to comment on the creampuff conference schedule, please be reminded of the rest of the games that the tigers have played and dominated. i'm sorry that your team is not as good as you would have liked for them to be this year, chico. i know it's disheartening to cheer for the losers, but it's over the middle of the season by now, so i figured you'd get used to it.

there are no division II teams in the tournament. it's all ncaa division I conference championship winners and others who have had a good season in comparison to others. some conferences have heavy representation as the teams in those conferences happen to have been great competitors. regardless of what conference memphis is in, i am pretty sure that their performance would still have them in consideration to play in the ncaa tournament. they do not just look at conference play when they take into consideration candidates for the tournament. they take a good look at outside performance as well as a lot of conference games such as duke vs. north carolina or indiana vs. wisconsin depend heavily on where the game is played and the refs. some venues are notorious for swaying the game. so losses in conference games (unless of course it's against a terrible team) are often kind of ignored in rankings and elsewhere.

while i think that memphis could use a stronger conference to get them ready, we gotta deal with what we've got. as long as our football program sucks, that's what we have got. sec wants to be a snob to us due to the sucky football program, we'll go and beat their teams' asses in basketball, laughing all the way to the final four.

memphis is number one in the nation, regardless of whether or not you think they deserve it, chico. deal with it.
Alisa
Posted: Feb 12, 2008 4:53 pm    
Really, I'm SICK of having to defend the Tigers to Chico and any other naysayers.
Thank you, elle.

And, I'm sure that being in the EE the last couple of years shows that we aren't just creampuffs. In fact, my head will explode if I type the word "creampuff" again. Whether you like it or not, we got to the final EIGHT teams in the country. And I'm assuming that the final eight teams in the country aren't creampuff (KABLOOEY) no matter what conference they're in.

I've put up with derisive comments about the Tigers for 20 plus years. The last few years we've been really good, and still don't get no respect from the powers that be. FINALLY, ESPN has good things to say. Rose is arguably one of the top freshman in the country. Joey is a fucking monster. CDR is also one of the best players in the country.
WHAT THE HELL DO THEY WANT??
Freethrows? Oh yeah. Well, they sure need to work on that, but I liked Cal's comment. "Would I rather be Number 1 in the country and number 317 in free throws? Or would I rather be number 317 in the country and Number 1 in free throws? Hmmm?"

Tigers are Number 1. Get a grip and stop whining about your Number 28 SEC team. I mean...that doesn't even really count!
saispas
Posted: Feb 12, 2008 4:56 pm    
Sure we also lost in the EE for the last two years, but how many Division I teams are there? Hmmm?

Well, it's the elite eight, so not more than eight. Possibly there were some division II schools involved? I don't know. I think the answer to your question probably is eight.

Yawn. Again. That question asks in Division I total, not specific to the Elite Eight teams and anyone looking to not be a halfass message board troll could have read it correctly.

Alisa, he is so not whining about his loserly team; its a pathology.
Alisa
Posted: Feb 12, 2008 5:21 pm    
saispas, we are going to have such fun next year at the games!
saispas
Posted: Feb 12, 2008 5:36 pm    
I know--I wish so bad I was there for the Tennessee game! I would be such a great turncoat! I hate the Vols.
sgtsawzall
Posted: Feb 13, 2008 4:50 pm    
yes, fuck the vols.
colin
Posted: Feb 13, 2008 9:04 pm    
Lookin like shit again vs. the Cougars. Gonne have to figure it out in the second half. That Mckiver kid is fucking out of his head from 3 pt. land! Down by 2 at the half.
saispas
Posted: Feb 13, 2008 9:26 pm    
We runnit.
jerryd
Posted: Feb 13, 2008 11:13 pm    
They didn't play so well tonight. The cougars were dropping threes all over the place. Quieted the crowd down a few times.

They need to get their shit together before Tennessee comes to town. Speaking of Tenn, heres a great deal on some tickets for the game
eric o
Posted: Feb 14, 2008 12:14 am    
if houston keeps hitting threes in the second half, they win. they didn't.

luckily, too, memphis hit free throws, and houston got... TWO!

TWO?

i guess that's what you get when you sit outside shooting from midcourt.

not. so. smart.
saispas
Posted: Feb 14, 2008 8:36 am    
luckily, too, memphis hit free throws, and houston got... TWO!

Yeah, this turn of events was nice to see!

They looked monstrous in the first part of the second half; they need to bring that shit the entire Tennessee game. In the end, I was satisfied with last night; they were challenged and forced themselves to come back mentally and physically. And again, thank the lawd above for CDR.
Alisa
Posted: Feb 14, 2008 9:05 am    
Cal gave a lot of credit for sparking them to Andre Allen in the post game interview. Nice.
saispas
Posted: Feb 14, 2008 9:20 am    
Loved when Andre Allen got under that guy's skin so badly that the guy was T-ed up--he was just standing there grinning. Great.
Alisa
Posted: Feb 14, 2008 9:22 am    
Yeah, I'm just loving him. He always goes in and gives 120, even if the execution is sometimes a bit lacking.
And again, thank the lawd above for CDR.
Amen, sister!

I thought Rose had a terrible game last night. They keep talking about one and done for him, but I don't think he's anywhere near ready.
eric o
Posted: Feb 14, 2008 9:49 am    
he might not be ready, but he'll probably go. he looked like a freshman last night, though.

he'll be sharp for TN, i'm betting.

i still give a lot of credit to chance mcgrady for giving 'em that potential BOLST off the bench!
saispas
Posted: Feb 14, 2008 9:51 am    
I don't think he's anywhere near ready.

He isn't. But the NBA will take him anyway as he is better than most with a lot of promise. He'll get extensive work and get paid at the same time. Can't turn that down. Travis Outlaw went to the Blazers outta HS the last year they could do that and a few years later, he is killing, where he was nowhere for years. It is worth the investment for an NBA team.
Alisa
Posted: Feb 14, 2008 9:57 am    
Yeah, I'm sure he'll go too. And yep, eric, I bet he'll be on for TN too.
I'm kind of betting they'll all be on for TN. Wishin and hopin!

I am getting kind of nervous about the no losses thing, though. I'm one of the ones that think they need a loss before the tourney.
tigergreen
Posted: Feb 14, 2008 10:19 am    
we're going to birmingham for the UAB game this weekend...can't wait!
jerryd
Posted: Feb 16, 2008 8:49 pm    
I don't have the station for this game so I'm following it on the computer. What the heck is going on? Are they playing that badly?
jerryd
Posted: Feb 16, 2008 9:01 pm    
Fucking missed free throws are the reason they're going to lose this game!!!
jerryd
Posted: Feb 16, 2008 9:07 pm    
Nope, I was wrong. They're missing ALL their shots!!!
jerryd
Posted: Feb 16, 2008 9:14 pm    
Jesus Christ! Dozier and Dorsey a combined 1 point!!!

Quadruple poster. GAY!!!!!!
heyradio
Posted: Feb 16, 2008 9:18 pm    
Magical.
saispas
Posted: Feb 16, 2008 9:23 pm    
THAT WAS SURREAL.

Again, thank you CDR.
street
Posted: Feb 16, 2008 9:32 pm    
Jesus Christ, talk about finding a way to win. God bless CDR, but God bless Antonio Anderson even more.

Cal is on the radio right now saying that the crowd was throwing shit as they left the floor, including a bottle that hit Taggard -- that's why a few of the Tigers were looking like they were having a Plush Club flashback and were ready to fight.
Alisa
Posted: Feb 16, 2008 9:38 pm    
I was wondering what happened, and was pretty disgusted seeing Dorsey act so ugly. But, now I know...

My non sports out of town company thought I'd lost my mind. I could only watch the last five minutes about 30 seconds at a time. Then I started jumping up and down in a really spastic way and speaking in tongues.
WE'RE NUMBER ONE!

I will say, I can't remember the last time we faced a crowd like that. Certainly not this season. They were RABID!
Alisa
Posted: Feb 16, 2008 9:41 pm    
Also, I would NOT have wanted to be you, tigergreen, in that arena at the end tonight. Hope you got out okay!
bruce
Posted: Feb 16, 2008 10:07 pm    
who are the ole misses' afraid of? anyone in their conference....
saispas
Posted: Feb 17, 2008 9:19 am    
ESPN was chomping at the bit for us to lose. They posted this on ESPN.com minutes after the game was over then removed it:

"IMPERFECT"
"And then there were none. No. 1 Memphis is unbeaten no longer. UAB, on the back of sharp shooter Robert Vaden, knocked off the lone perfect team in Division I on Saturday night. UAB XX, Memphis XX"

saispas
Posted: Feb 17, 2008 9:24 am    
They were RABID!

Alabamans are pretty ruthless fans for their team(s) and known for George Wallace, Talladega and sexy charming drunks like Zelda Fitzgerald. They have "spirit" but sometimes don't have the best expression for it! I actually love that state, but yeah, I believe they were some seriously pissed off fans. Sorry y'all!
andria
Posted: Feb 17, 2008 1:59 pm    
holy shit!!!
heyradio
Posted: Feb 17, 2008 2:43 pm    
There was a photo clearly showing a fat UAB fan in an orange prison-suit shirt getting bitch-slapped by Niles in the CA, but they changed the photo. Luckily, I saved the images.

Enjoy!
heyradio
Posted: Feb 17, 2008 2:45 pm    
Another one.
Alisa
Posted: Feb 17, 2008 2:47 pm    
I don't think that was the right photo. That was one of a pretty nasty sign directed at Dozier!
Alisa
Posted: Feb 17, 2008 2:50 pm    
http://media.commercialappeal.com/mca/content/img/photos/2008/02/17/mw mem8_t600.jpg

Oh, here it is. Also, clearly shooting the guys the bird!
col bat guano
Posted: Feb 17, 2008 3:09 pm    
Damn! The looks on some of those UAB fan's faces should be in the dictionary next to the word "hate".

The bitch-slap photo, however, is priceless.
elle
Posted: Feb 17, 2008 3:37 pm    
"mempis"? nice touch, jackasses.

that's a funny sign though. notice the one girl with the fake black eye that has on a tshirt that says "i dated dozier".
britney
Posted: Feb 17, 2008 3:38 pm    
WHAT THE HELL was that half time show last night? it was fucking terrible.
heyradio
Posted: Feb 17, 2008 5:47 pm    
What do you expect from a station that host the show "Talkin' Hoops"?
Lettuce Knot
Posted: Feb 17, 2008 6:00 pm    
Fox 13 now has video of the postgame action posted. After watching it a couple times, my verdict is that having the exit tunnel run under the student section is a bad fucking idea. Lots of shit being thrown from the stands.
saispas
Posted: Feb 17, 2008 6:08 pm    
WOW!!!

I underestimated both the stupidity, hate and well, perhaps they call it these days "Emotional Intelligence" of the students of The University of Alabama at Birmingham. I have not seen such signage and face painting since the good old days at UTK. They make the hill dweller Vol fans look like society debs. "Mempis"? Indeed. Make me some steel, bitches.
elle
Posted: Feb 17, 2008 6:15 pm    
Make me some steel, bitches.

from the looks of their fans, they're more likely to be making hamburgers or license plates.
robin
Posted: Feb 17, 2008 6:44 pm    
Has anyone else seen the CSTV commercial where they list the "great" upstart rivalries in C-USA (East Carolina and Rice: who can handle the intensity!?), and the last one they mention is UAB and Memphis?? Since when is this a rivalry? I think UAB decided that one on their own.

It's getting to this point where every year there's some angry kid from Memphis playing for UAB who grew up wanting to be a Tiger, didn't get recruited by Cal, and is consequently Bitter As Fucking Hell and brings it whenever they play the Tigers in Birmingham. When they beat Memphis two years ago there was this kid (his name escapes me) who was cousins with Cedric Henderson, I think, and grew up watching them practice all the time and dreaming of being a Tiger. He didn't get recruited by Memphis and he was really angry and bitter about it. He was amazing in that game. This year it was that Lawrence Kinnard kid.

I live in Boston now and most of the time when I go out and about with my Memphis hoodie on, people stop me and comment on it. There are a lot of old school Coach Cal fans up here, but a lot of people are genuinely glad to see a team coming up from seemingly out of nowhere and holding the #1 poll spot for so many weeks. I think our Tigers may be a national fan favorite in the next few years to come.

Also, if this story doesn't make you tear up a little and get insanely nostalgic for your childhood, you obviously have no soul.
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=boswell/080213&sportCa t=ncb
saispas
Posted: Feb 17, 2008 6:52 pm | Edited by: saispas    
from the looks of their fans, they're more likely to be making hamburgers or license plates.

Gooooood one!

That black eye girl knows she's gotten her ass kicked by her boyfriend, her brother and her mom.

East Carolina and Rice: who can handle the intensity!?

I love it!
robin
Posted: Feb 17, 2008 7:27 pm    
That black eye girl knows she's gotten her ass kicked by her boyfriend, her brother and her mom.

.........who are all the same person! zing!!!
street
Posted: Feb 17, 2008 7:49 pm    
Also, if this story doesn't make you tear up a little and get insanely nostalgic for your childhood, you obviously have no soul.

Thanks for posting that. Great article. Definitely strikes a chord with me -- my dad and I will never agree on music or politics, but we both love the Tigers. And I'm just old enough to remember what it was like in the 80's when Tiger fever gripped this city -- it really is a magical feeling to have a common bond with so many people, no matter the age, race, class, or neighborhood. This is a very special year; I hope it leads to more.
robin
Posted: Feb 17, 2008 8:13 pm    
You're welcome!

Tigers memories:

How Steve Ballard would stand at the free throw line and methodically bend his knees and touch his right hand to his left shoulder a few times before shooting. A touch of OCD?

The Mundt brothers (Todd and Brett!) and how they fucked every game up.

Playing a game I made up called "Elliot Perry" where I put on my swimming goggles and dribbled a basketball around in the gravel of our circular driveway (what a wee little lesbian I was!).

How it really felt like my entire household was mourning a death when Dana Kirk had to resign.

Seeing Larry Finch at the Ike's in Eastgate all the time during the Elite Eight season with Penny and David Vaughn; people would come up and slap him on the back and shake his hand and he was really nice to everyone, even though it was obvious he just wanted to do his shopping and get out.

Being four years old and sitting in front of my uncle's giant-screen TV and being utterly astounded at how huge and magnificent and brilliant Keith Lee was.

How Larry Finch's in-game coaching style seemed to consist entirely of him rolling his game program up into a tube and shouting, "Get the basketball, son! Get the basketball!", no matter what was going on.
schmatt
Posted: Feb 17, 2008 9:30 pm    
now with the Duke loss it looks like UT v Memphis to be #1 v #2.
Alisa
Posted: Feb 17, 2008 9:49 pm    
robin, thanks for posting all of those things. I've been a serious Tiger fan for 25 years and I've got a list much like yours.
My oldest son and I didn't really speak for two years when he was barely a teen. There was nothing wrong, really...just the "my mom's really stupid and I don't want to talk to her" thing. BUT, he'd come to me after every game and talk about the stats. My only conversation with him for a couple of years, besides "what do you want for breakfast", etc. was about Penny.

And, I loved Andre Turner so much I went out to the airport when they came in with a sign that said "Andre, want to snuggle?" God, dork doesn't even begin to approach that!

When they fired Larry I was so incensed I wrote a letter to the Flyer.

Anyway, GO TIGERS! I'm really happy to see this happening.
wdotson
Posted: Feb 18, 2008 9:27 am    
FOX13 Sports Reporters Witness Tiger History

As the only Memphis station at the game, FOX13 Sports Reporters Marcus Hunter and Greg Gaston were in the thick of the fan drama over the Tigers’ last minute 79-78 win over UAB.

Permalink: What happened as the game was ending

Unedited: UAB Fans Pelt Tigers

The Memphis Tigers pull off a last minute miracle in Birmingham to keep their perfect record, but the drama didn't end at the last buzzer. See how UAB fans felt about the game while our cameras were still rolling.

Permalink: Unedited Pelting!

We also have interviews with Coach Calipari, Chris Douglas-Roberts, Antonio Anderson and Robert Dozier that I’m uploading now…

Go Tigers!
Alisa
Posted: Feb 18, 2008 9:37 am    
I've been reading the message boards, and here's what I don't get...
Apparently, the UAB fans got pissed off when Taggart started "flaunting" his jersey. Why is this supposed to upset anyone? At the end of close games all the teams are doing the number one sign and pounding their chests and the like. So, flaunting your jersey is unsportsmanlike?
While we're on unsportsmanlike...I thought that sign directed against Dozier was awful.

Taggart's nose was not broken in the melee, but one of those reporters in the links says that his nose was broken earlier in the game.

Can't wait to see what Cal says!
britney
Posted: Feb 18, 2008 9:51 am    
I thought that sign directed against Dozier was awful
i ididn't see that what did it say?
Alisa
Posted: Feb 18, 2008 9:53 am    
http://media.commercialappeal.com/mca/content/img/photos/2008/02/17/mw mem8_t600.jpg

There it is, britney. "We beat Mempis not our girls"
wdotson
Posted: Feb 18, 2008 10:02 am    
Here's that Cal video....

Unedited: Coach Cal on Slim Win over UAB

Tigers 79, UAB 78

In a last-minute run against the UAB Blazers, the Tigers pull ahead to a tight 79-78 win. Coach Cal reacts to a tough UAB team, a prime performance by CDR and Anderson, and the volatile reaction by UAB fans storming the court.

Permalink: Unedited: Coach Cal Video/Story
eric o
Posted: Feb 18, 2008 10:26 am    
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=boswell/080213&sportCa t=ncb

that's a great article on espn.

but... she still has bad hair.
Alisa
Posted: Feb 18, 2008 10:28 am    
Cal didn't really say anything about the hoohah after the game.
Also watched the player interviews. CDR is really well spoken.
wdotson
Posted: Feb 18, 2008 10:39 am | Edited by: wdotson    
ESPN posted a story saying the tigers lost!
wdotson
Posted: Feb 18, 2008 11:34 am    
Tigers Imperfect?
colin
Posted: Feb 18, 2008 12:17 pm    
#1 Tigers vs. #2 Tennessee this Saturday at the Fed Ex Forum!! If there is ever a reason to paint your face and go fucking ape shit downtown...this the day. Thanks to Wake Forest for beating Duke to make this happen!
Alisa
Posted: Feb 18, 2008 12:22 pm    
http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2008/feb/18/no-penalty-from-leagu e-after-fracas/
colin
Posted: Feb 18, 2008 12:27 pm | Edited by: colin    
I can only imagine what that neck in the orange shirt said to Niles before being bitch slapped by Pierre! Sweet Home Alabama...bet he cant wait for the Bass Pro Pyramid to open up.
saispas
Posted: Feb 18, 2008 1:03 pm    
This is fantastic:

Dozier girlfriend files complaint against former girlfriend

By Lawrence Buser (Contact)
Originally published 11:22 a.m., February 18, 2008
Updated 11:58 a.m., February 18, 2008

A new turn today in the off-court romantic troubles of Memphis junior forward Robert Dozier resembles a miniversion of the weekend battle of Birmingham where fans and players had a brief but heated postgame confrontation.

A woman identified as Dozier’s current girlfriend, Andrea Brown, 21, obtained an order of protection against LaParis Woods, his former girlfriend who has alleged that Dozier slapped her after leaving a nightclub at 3:30 in the morning on Feb. 3.

Brown said in her complaint that Woods has been stalking her and that she walked up to Brown at the Plush Club that night, made a gun gesture with her fingers and said, “I don’t fight. I shoot.”

The complaint said Brown and Dozier left the club separately, but that Woods later showed up at Brown’s apartment and made more threats.

When Dozier showed up, Woods threatened him and began kicking his car, the complaint added.

Before leaving, Woods allegedly told Brown, “I’ll be back.”

Brown said Woods made the same type of threats to her at the club in January and that in November she drove her car in a threatening manner while the two were in traffic.

The 6-9 Dozier, a prized member of the University of Memphis top-ranked basketball team, was suspended for one game earlier this month after the early-morning nightclub incident was reported.

According to an affidavit, Woods, 21, said Dozier hit her twice in the face with an open hand during an argument after leaving the club.

Woods filed a petition for a protective order, but Dozier has not been charged with a crime.

The complaints against Dozier and Woods are scheduled to be back in General Sessions Criminal Court on Wednesday.
elle
Posted: Feb 18, 2008 1:20 pm    
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3251692

tigers #1, vols #2. gotta feeling it will remain so even after saturday. yeah!
elle
Posted: Feb 18, 2008 1:37 pm    
“I don’t fight. I shoot.”

that bitch be crazy. i'm telling ya she probably made the whole thing up. i bet that bitch is trying to cause some drama and that's the best way to do it is by getting him in trouble with the basketball team. she's a hater and i can almost guarantee you i'd probably wanna slap the hell outta someone if they threatened to shoot my girlfriend anyway. i'm not sayin he shoulda slapped her, but i understand.
Alisa
Posted: Feb 18, 2008 2:13 pm    

Coach Cal's show (Part 1 of 3) where he's talking about the game.
saispas
Posted: Feb 18, 2008 2:55 pm    
Say what you will about a Tiger fan, but trust me, a Vol fan is typically one hideous creature. Usually they come in two stripes: A blend of Ole Miss and Vandy coated in orange with a bad bleach job and what I like to call Inbreds from the Hills. We used to refer to these as "Eightballs", due to a certain resemblance to the random street characters in the Dan Clowes comic. They'd wander in the record store about to piss their pants and I think they were asking for a bathroom, but they were such fucking hicks I couldn't understand them.
britney
Posted: Feb 18, 2008 3:54 pm    
A blend of Ole Miss

a blend of any ole miss fan is far beyond hideous. i'm not even sure there is a word except for just that: "ole miss fan."
Alisa
Posted: Feb 18, 2008 4:02 pm    
Okay, Taggart's out for Wednesday with a bruised knee and a broken nose.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2008/feb/18/tigers-taggart-out-br uised-knee/
elle
Posted: Feb 18, 2008 4:21 pm    
shit. well, hopefully he'll be better by saturday. having a bruised knee is the suck, if it is a contusion. otherwise he better suck it up. i've skated with a contused knee before and it hurrrrrrrts. touching it is painful even, much less trying to move it around a lot like they have to.
saispas
Posted: Feb 18, 2008 4:33 pm    
Did this happen to him with one of the thrown whiskey bottles?
robin
Posted: Feb 18, 2008 6:19 pm    
Did this happen to him with one of the thrown whiskey bottles?

Yes, I wanna know. If some redneck fucked his face up, I wanna see some charges!!
Alisa
Posted: Feb 18, 2008 7:08 pm    
Nope, it happened early in the game. Cal said he "ran into someone's elbow." Here's some more video of Cal talking about it.

http://www.wreg.com/Global/category.asp?C=5494&nav=menu93_4
elle
Posted: Feb 18, 2008 11:08 pm    
so i decided (with the inspiration from robin) to go to the game on saturday with a sign that has a picture of the state of tennessee on it and memphis will be circled on it. it will have the caption saying "the only part that matters" and an arrow pointing to our lovely city's location.

gotta wear the cdr jersey cuz he rules. and i'll be there massively early to get into the espn game day festivities. apparently students have to start lining up at 6am to get into the shit and the people going to that (and the blue crew) get into the game before the rest of the students who line up later do.
colin
Posted: Feb 19, 2008 7:04 am    
Nice. I made a sign myself and it reads:

TIGERS GIVE VOLS A PEARL NECKLACE!

look for it.
Alisa
Posted: Feb 19, 2008 7:12 am    
bunch of sign ideas here:
http://www.ncaabbs.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=280969
saispas
Posted: Feb 19, 2008 8:12 am    
Hmm. I always thought it was for black dudes. (This was one of the sign ideas on the link above)

Silly Jew...
Basketball is for Italians

Alisa
Posted: Feb 19, 2008 8:28 am    
Yeah, I know. Those Tiger boards are kind of weird. That one's above my head.
Lettuce Knot
Posted: Feb 19, 2008 8:31 am    
ya see, Calipari's Italian. Get it?
saispas
Posted: Feb 19, 2008 8:46 am    
And Pearl's a Jew.

Why don't they just go all the way and say "heeb" and "wops" on the sign?

Where is Donkey to let us know what ethnic group is actually better at basketball historically, Italians or Jews???
Alisa
Posted: Feb 19, 2008 8:57 am    
Okay, yeah I get it.
Hey, last night Chevy Chase was on a SVU episode where he was going nuts about Jews.
tigergreen
Posted: Feb 19, 2008 12:10 pm    
my favorite ones are:

Memphis Tigers - Finishing what the Patriots started

pEarl
Sweats
Profusely
toNight

Elite
Squad
Plus rose
National champions

i went to the b'ham game, and it was a MESS...but the whole thing lasted about a minute. friends were calling me asking if we were driving back that night; apparently they made it sound like the students were gonna burn the city down or something!
Alisa
Posted: Feb 19, 2008 12:27 pm    
hey tigergreen, yeah...wanted to ask you about what it was like as I remembered you were there.

(Those were the ones I liked too.)
elle
Posted: Feb 19, 2008 12:27 pm    
lordy. i saw a sign on that website that said "seriously - nice job on hiring a coach with an orange face" and i damn near spit coffee out my nose. hilarity.
saispas
Posted: Feb 19, 2008 12:33 pm    
"seriously - nice job on hiring a coach with an orange face"

Thank god I wasn't drinking my coffee then cos I practically did a spit take with just the spit.
tigergreen
Posted: Feb 19, 2008 12:40 pm    
hey tigergreen, yeah...wanted to ask you about what it was like as I remembered you were there.

yeah; we didn't have any problems, but i heard if we had headed the other way around the arena (toward where all the students were camped out) we would have had to fight our way through it.

niles shouldn't have done what he did, but at the same time, uab has some serious issues to look at with the location of their student section, and the behavior of their students. that's pretty much my take on it.

oh, and i plan on having a poster at the march 8 game of a JD bottle with a tiger logo on it.
Alisa
Posted: Feb 19, 2008 12:49 pm    
it looked really ugly in the photos. And, from what I saw of it on the TV...though they were concentrating mostly on Dorsey acting a fool in the tunnel.
uab has some serious issues to look at with the location of their student section, and the behavior of their students. that's pretty much my take on it.
I thought the poster directed at Dozier and that girl with the black eye were pretty out of line. And, it looked like security were kind of oblivious. (I would like to publicly say that those photos of the scene in the CA were fantastic.)

You must have been having a heart attack! I bet it was incredible!
tigergreen
Posted: Feb 19, 2008 12:58 pm    
You must have been having a heart attack!

i literally thought my legs were gonna go out from under me in the last two minutes of that game. i haven't been that nervous since i was at the deli for the a&m game last year.

we all stood there for a good 5 minutes after they got everyone in the tunnel - we all had to regroup to get down the stairs & outside!
tigergreen
Posted: Feb 19, 2008 12:59 pm    
I thought the poster directed at Dozier and that girl with the black eye were pretty out of line.

oh, and yeah - she was a winner...maybe she & the orange jumpsuit ut wanna be dude are a couple. it would make perfect sense.
Alisa
Posted: Feb 19, 2008 1:19 pm    
No kidding.

Jesus...who is this ESPN guy and why is he rubbing this stuff in now?
(See the top of the story and then scroll about halfway down.)
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=forde_pat&id=32 52485&sportCat=ncb
heyradio
Posted: Feb 19, 2008 2:18 pm    
My friend called to say he just spoke w/ Cedric Henderson and that he said Joey is literally crazy and that it was VERY lucky Dorsey was held back by the strength trainer + 4.
Alisa
Posted: Feb 19, 2008 2:24 pm    
Joey's been discussed at length on the Tiger boards, with people saying he had to be TACKLED in the tunnel. The general consensus is that he's fixin to blow a several million dollar ride, and that's he's just too much of a liability for the NBA.
tigergreen
Posted: Feb 19, 2008 3:17 pm    
who is this ESPN guy and why is he rubbing this stuff in now?

it's all about the ratings...they've gotta hype it up every way they can this week...the good, bad & ugly!
Mark Rochambeaux
Posted: Feb 19, 2008 3:59 pm    
He says this pretty well, I think ...

MempHis is almost an island republic on the state's western edge, whereas the state university nearly 400 miles to the east is in a wholly different place geographically and culturally.

You'll find a lot more orange in MempHis than you'll find blue in Knoxville. Saturday night, you'll find the biggest (and potentially best, if both teams live up to their on-court styles) game of the season.
colin
Posted: Feb 19, 2008 4:43 pm    
Fuck that ESPN guy. All that shits old news and who the hell wants to be Americas team anyway?
elle
Posted: Feb 19, 2008 5:03 pm    
who the hell wants to be Americas team anyway?

duke or some big 10 team, undoubtedly. maybe ucla. but not memphis unless you consider america to be dictated by urban areas instead of red states. heh.
elle
Posted: Feb 19, 2008 5:10 pm    
my friend in boston who posts on here (robin) said that the game is being talked about all over the place, being massively hyped since it's the #1 vs. #2 game and the teams are both from the same state. it's pretty amazing. a great matchup and a rivalry too! so much more exciting than north carolina playing duke.
robin
Posted: Feb 19, 2008 5:10 pm    
According to that ESPN article, "Andre Allen (25), backup point guard, was arrested in 2005 on charges of soliciting a prostitute." Am I the only person who completely missed this??

The University Of Memphis will never be America's team because it's emblematic of its location. Memphis is a fucked up city because America has completely neglected/abandoned most of the urban South. Why would our basketball team qualify as being America's team? Leave that title to Duke or UNC. America don't want us; we don't have any white guys on our team and our fans chant "whoop that trick" outside of games. I keep thinking about all of this whenever I read that post about Ole Miss and the SEC and how they're "too quality" to put up with the likes of Memphis. More like too rich, too white, and totally spoiled.
heyradio
Posted: Feb 19, 2008 5:27 pm    
Jesus...who is this ESPN guy and why is he rubbing this stuff in now?

Pat Forde is a Loserville resident, so that might put things in perspective a bit.

To his credit, his first column of the BB season he predicted Memphis as Natl. Champs.
Alisa
Posted: Feb 19, 2008 5:46 pm    
whenever I read that post about Ole Miss and the SEC and how they're "too quality" to put up with the likes of Memphis. More like too rich, too white, and totally spoiled.

ChicoHarris posts that we're too SCARED to play an SEC team.

The tiger boards are pretty fascinating. (I saw you on there heyradio!) I swear, the Goner board is the only messageboard I've ever found where the majority of people aren't nutso. Well, yes they are but in a familiar nutso way. And, they don't use those emoticons (which go a long way in not making you look like a dork.)
Still, the Tiger boards are rabid in the news and views. It's been real fun and educational reading that stuff the last couple of days.
eric o
Posted: Feb 19, 2008 5:49 pm    
andre allen is 25?
robin
Posted: Feb 19, 2008 6:16 pm    
andre allen is 25?

No, they were putting numbers after everything they talked about. Hot topics or some shit.

Did anyone else get through the whole Greg Gaston Fox interview that was posted above? I noticed that he said that Pierre Niles ran onto the court before the game was over and everyone had to grab him and pull him back. Pierre Niles can slap rednecks all he wants; he just better not blow games he's not even playing in
colin
Posted: Feb 19, 2008 6:41 pm    
Isa about to say Duke can have the "Americas Team" label...thats about right. Pierre did run out on the court before the game was over. Pretty stupid shit for sure. Lets face it dude aint got much sense, but he I have no problems with him backhanded some rednecks either.
saispas
Posted: Feb 19, 2008 7:21 pm    
The general consensus is that he's fixin to blow a several million dollar ride, and that's he's just too much of a liability for the NBA.

Oh they have plenty of just-as-crazies in there right now and they always will, so if someone wants him, they'll get him. What I have heard is that people are genuinely not convinced he is a pro level talent for his position.
saispas
Posted: Feb 19, 2008 7:23 pm    
I keep thinking about all of this whenever I read that post about Ole Miss and the SEC and how they're "too quality" to put up with the likes of Memphis.

Oh lawd. Talk about some old colonels sittin' on the porch while their crops burn around them.
tigergreen
Posted: Feb 20, 2008 11:52 am    
The tiger boards are pretty fascinating. (I saw you on there heyradio!) I swear, the Goner board is the only messageboard I've ever found where the majority of people aren't nutso. Well, yes they are but in a familiar nutso way. And, they don't use those emoticons (which go a long way in not making you look like a dork.)

hey now....
well, okay, yeah. i'm nutso too, i guess.
elle
Posted: Feb 20, 2008 1:40 pm    
What I have heard is that people are genuinely not convinced he is a pro level talent for his position.

it's not that he doesn't have the talent, because i KNOW he does. when he is having a great day (ie not letting his ego get in the way of his playing abilities), he is a fucking manimal, is a master of the up high rejection, and rebounds like a champ and even gets some great shots in there in the paint every now and again. however, he needs to not play like an angry sumbitch and he doesn't need to think he's any better than any other player out there. if he has his head screwed on straight, he can be on fire. cal's calmed his ass down somewhat. i'd hate to see him playing for a coach that is less disciplinarian than cal. cal DOES have to jerk a knot in his tail, but he can't be too restrictive or he wouldn't play at all for him. there's a fine balance that cal has achieved, but it won't calm dorsey down totally. while he is technically an adult, he is still at an age where he's gonna want to party and have fun. he's at college and he's in a different city where he's got a name for himself. of course,he's going to be a rowdy ass. hell, think about it this way...if you were in a band that was getting big and touring around the country and you were 21 years old, you wouldn't be acting like somewhat of a fool? please.
tigergreen
Posted: Feb 20, 2008 2:37 pm    
joey's definitely the best illustration of a child trapped in a man's body i've ever seen.
ChicoHarris
Posted: Feb 20, 2008 4:36 pm    
ChicoHarris

Awwwww. I haven't been around here in days and you girls can't stop writing about me. That's sweet. Y'all can buy me a beer at the Spider Bags/Limes show tonight at Murphys.
saispas
Posted: Feb 20, 2008 4:46 pm    
I agree with ya, elle. I think the man is talented in terms of athletic prowess, but not at all where he needs to be in so many other areas. He is crazy and that interrupts his game, but he also still lacks control of his body in other ways (like continually getting too many bad fouls) and then he realllllllllly lets it get under his skin like a 5 year old blamed for something he knows he did.

I love the guy, but he needs to reign himself in and show he is willing to improve his deficiencies rather than continue to strut around like a retarded peacock.

In the NBA it will be harder for him as those coaches are not gonna be nearly as controlling or wanting to baby his ass. I want him to succeed but if he wants the check to be cut, he needs to reign his silliness in!
jerryd
Posted: Feb 20, 2008 5:28 pm    
I was reminicsing about the days of old tiger blue and came across this sweet clip on youtube. I've been watching and following (religiously) tiger basketball for 26 years and to me those were the golden days.
Alisa
Posted: Feb 20, 2008 5:58 pm    
Andre Turner is my all time favorite Tiger player.
(Nice shorts, too.)
colin
Posted: Feb 20, 2008 7:35 pm    
Imgaine that...Joey Dorsey already in foul trouble the first half against fucking Tulane. Ill say it one last time, if Taggart dosent play Saturday then the Tigers are in trouble. There is no one to take up Dorseys slack if he gets in foul trouble if Taggart is hurt. Niles is pratically worthless on the defensive end.
jerryd
Posted: Feb 20, 2008 7:48 pm    
Niles is pratically worthless on the defensive end.

But he has 2pts!

2pts!!!!!!
colin
Posted: Feb 20, 2008 7:58 pm    
Indeed he does against fucking Tulane. I will be embarassed if Niles has to play Saturday. Tennessee will eat his ass alive.
bud melman
Posted: Feb 20, 2008 8:21 pm    
can't win if you can't hit free throws. they are doomed to 2nd best unless or until they can hit free throws
saispas
Posted: Feb 20, 2008 10:00 pm    
Oh wow, RIP sad big man:

Thanks jerryd!
heyradio
Posted: Feb 20, 2008 10:20 pm    
Ill say it one last time, if Taggart dosent play Saturday then the Tigers are in trouble.

I have it on good authority (read- internet rumor research) that Taggart will indeed play Sat. He'll play w/ a mask a la Carney/Rip Hamilton.

Now, I know what you're thinking, and yes he in fact DID demand blue straps!

Even if he didn't play, I really like the Tiger's chances regardless. Tenn. wants to play up-tempo, run-and-gun style which plays right into the Tiger's hands. The Tigers have better, bigger personnel @ every position 1-13.

Besides, we just beat Tulane @ Tulane by more than the Vawls beat Auburn @ home. The same Auburn team who lost to Tulane earlier this season!
heyradio
Posted: Feb 20, 2008 10:22 pm    
Oh, and Duke lost again.

This game is about state bragging rights as both UoM and (f)UT will both be 1 seeds in the tourney.
saispas
Posted: Feb 20, 2008 10:45 pm    
He'll play w/ a mask a la Carney/Rip Hamilton.

So if Dorsey will 'fro out, who will shave a bald spot in his head a la SHEEEEEEEED!!!!!
elle
Posted: Feb 21, 2008 1:27 am    
good. i'm glad taggart is okay. i was slightly worried about him because dorsey was being a big doofus yet again tonight. and niles too. i think niles only got put in cuz it was tulane and we were up so many points. hell, even chance got a chance to put in some minutes. hahah. the game was starting to get a little boring after a bit, so i wasn't so sad when i had to leave from watching the game to go to derby practice. i'm sure saturday is going to be much closer. but the tigers will prevail.

hahah @ duke losing again. jerks. i hate them. it's so funny that it was the first time miami won that match-up in 45 years. HILARIOUS. here ya go, duke. i'm extending a middle finger to you and i hope you see it because i'm doing it as hard as i can. hahahahah.
elle
Posted: Feb 21, 2008 1:29 am    
oh and i *heart* cdr. he pretty much rules.
Alisa
Posted: Feb 21, 2008 9:26 am    
Tigers shot 77.8% at the FT line last night!
saispas
Posted: Feb 21, 2008 9:50 am    
Tigers shot 77.8% at the FT line last night!

They MUST do this Saturday. Must Must Must.
colin
Posted: Feb 21, 2008 10:27 am    
Lots of must's for Saturday for sure, including but not limited to the following:

-must make free throws
-Dorsey must stay on the court and out of foul trouble
-Taggart must be healthy and ready to play
-Rose must live up to the super duper freshmen guard heading to the NBA after one year hype
-CDR must continue playing the way he has the past 3 games
-Tigers must hit at least 8-10+ shots from 3 point range
eric o
Posted: Feb 21, 2008 10:36 am    
didn't watch the game, but it looked like tigers were missing plenty from 3 point range. i have a feeling they're due.

doneal mack, get hot!
colin
Posted: Feb 21, 2008 10:45 am    
They didnt shoot well at all from 3 range last night. Mack is like that man..he can come off the bench and streak 5 or 6 treys in a short amount of time. They are due as a tem for sure to light that shit up. Lets just hope Lofton dosent.
robin
Posted: Feb 21, 2008 11:34 am    
Taggart will indeed play Sat. He'll play w/ a mask

YES. I was hoping for this type of a development. I freaking LOVE when players have masks on, like when Tyler Hansborough's ugly ass looked like Phantom Of The Opera. This will be sweet and will surely intimidate other players like nobody's business.
elle
Posted: Feb 21, 2008 12:19 pm    
Tyler Hansborough's ugly ass looked like Phantom Of The Opera

ha!
Jughead
Posted: Feb 21, 2008 1:45 pm    
I think the UAB scare will really help the Tigers against the Vols. What, is Lofton gonna make more crazy shots than Vaden did?

I see a close game for 30 minutes, and then the Tigers hit that extra gear...
saispas
Posted: Feb 21, 2008 2:27 pm    
This is gonna be like an old school Louisville vs. Memphis game...on the court and in the stands!
robin
Posted: Feb 21, 2008 2:46 pm    
this song is awesome!!!!

http://www.wmctv.com/Global/story.asp?S=7898941
saispas
Posted: Feb 21, 2008 6:22 pm    
I am cracking up at this; so very Memphis: "Tiger Pride/Now Welcome to MEMPHISSSSS"

The big wrap up near the end honoring the past players and conferences is truly inspiring.
Alisa
Posted: Feb 21, 2008 6:25 pm | Edited by: Alisa    
Grammy material! They even namecheck Larry!
OH MY GOD...this is awesome!!!
robin
Posted: Feb 22, 2008 1:34 pm    
and baskerville holmes!
saispas
Posted: Feb 22, 2008 2:11 pm    
Colin, wasn't it Baskerville who was the coin man at Galaxy of Games for awhile???
elle
Posted: Feb 22, 2008 3:28 pm    
http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaab/news;_ylt=Asid.NLbYQV59S4qeUMbErTevbYF?s lug=tennesseememphiswillhave&prov=tsn&type=lgns
colin
Posted: Feb 22, 2008 3:36 pm    
No...that was Otis Jackson and he worked at Fun and Games out by the Malco Quartet.
robin
Posted: Feb 22, 2008 3:44 pm    
good, because the idea of baskerville holmes being reduced to dishing out tokens to preteens makes me want to cry.
Jack Stands
Posted: Feb 22, 2008 6:01 pm    
I loved this commentary today.
http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2008/feb/22/rivalrys-roots-run-de eper-than-basketball/
saispas
Posted: Feb 22, 2008 6:37 pm    
No...that was Otis Jackson and he worked at Fun and Games out by the Malco Quartet.

Fun and Games...that was what I meant. Leave it to the male to recall the actual name of the arcade; we were just there to flirt witchall and play Centipede anyways!
saispas
Posted: Feb 22, 2008 6:38 pm    
And, Niles' bitchslap made page C17 of the NY Times Sports section (and top story for sports online) today...

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/22/sports/ncaabasketball/22decorum.html ?ref=sports
 Page Page:  1  2  3  4  »»
Your answer
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  URL Link  Disable BB codes *What's this?

» Name  » Password 

victim of time

By posting on this board you agree to these Terms Of Use

Page loading time (secs): 0.138