Available now!

EX CULT MIDNIGHT PASSENGER PRE-ORDER

EX-CULT
Midnight Passenger lp/cd
Coming April 29

GONER RECORD STORE DAY RELEASE
Ex-Cult
"Ties You Up" b/w "New Virtues" 7"
Be sure to bug your local retailer for these!
And swing by GONER for exclusive colored vinyl on Record Store Day - Saturday April !9
GONER RSD POSTER HERE

2nd Midtown Memphis Record Swap - Saturday May 10
Full-on Crosstown Arts Block Party with DJs, Beer, Third Man Mobile Store & More!
Plus OBLIVIANS that night at the Hi Tone! Dick Dale plays the night before!
Dealers get in touch!

Buck Biloxi & The Fucks - s/t lp (Red Lounge Records)

Icecross s/t lp (Rockadrome)

Obnox- Louder Space lp (12XU)

Anthology of American Folk Music Volume 3 lp (Mississippi)

Talbot Adams - s/t lp (Spacecase Records)
Predator - The Complete Earth lp (Scavenger of Death)

Valerie June - Pushin' Against A Stone cd (Concord)
Ross Johnson and Jeffrey Evans - Vanity Session lp (Spacecase ) Leo Welch - Sabougla Voices cd (Big Legal Mess)
Pookie & the Poodlez -The Last Thing I Did As a Teenager 12'
Sid Selvidge - The Cold of the Morning lp (Omnivore)

Manateees - Seek Help 7' (Total Punk)

BUCK BILOXI & THE FUCKS
lp
(Red Lounge)

BACK IN STOCK! New Orleans craptastic punk rock / KBD / Bloodstains in your face. ""If you think Buck Biloxi & The Fucks are not rad in real life you need to snap out of that bullshit dream. "- Buck Biloxi

ICECROSS
s/t lp
(Rockadrome)
Reissue of legendary Icelandic Hard Rock lp!

OBNOX
Louder Space
lp
(12XU)

Amazing new garage murk lp from Bim & co! Punk rock, hip hop, woody haze!

ANTHOLOGY OF AMERICAN FOLK MUSIC
Vol 1-4 lps

Freakin' heavy duty reissues of these Harry Smith-compiled classics!

TALBOT ADAMS
s/t lp
(Spacecase)
What a nice album! Pop from the genius TALBOT! Up next on Spacecase- Dutch Masters lp!

PREDATOR
The Complete Earth lp
(Scavenger Of Death)
2nd full-length from Atlanta punk rockers. Mean, man!

VALERIE JUNE
Pushing Against A Stone lp/cd
(Concord)

New Memphis / NYC folk chanteuse as heard on David Letterman!

ROSS JOHNSON & JEFFREY EVANS
Vanity Session lp
(Spacecase)

Collossal collaboration from two Memphis blabbermouths... recorded with Jim Dickinson, who appears here often!

LEO WELCH
Sabougla Voices lp (Fat Possum)

Great raw gospel / trance blues- his set closing Gonerfest 10 started like this, kinda drifted off into Beale Street blues but this is what you want to hear!

POOKIE & THE POODLES
The Last Thing I Did As A Teenager lp
(Rubber Vomit)
Nobunny-esque goofy slop pop punk...

SID SELVIDGE
Cold Of The Morning

lp (Omnivore )
Reissue of the great Sid Selvidge's album recorded live in the studio with Jim Dickinson. Haunting stuff. RIP Sid.

MANATEEES
Seek Help
7"
(Total Punk)
Memphis' garage metal/??? mayhem masters with ABE CHARLOTTE AND KEITH!!!!

Goner Records Bulliten Board Goner Records Bulletin Board
 » Name  » Password 
Goner Message Board / Memphis / Defunct Memphis Restaurants we miss
 Page Page:  ««  1  2
john a
Posted: Feb 8, 2009 2:13 am    
It was the Pyrenees. They had a Baked Alaska that was very popular among the fortunate birthday celebrants.
dtrain
Posted: Feb 8, 2009 6:24 pm    
Kwik Chek during Harry's regime

oh totally....mmmmm incredible...and just hangin with Harry and playin pinball was worth the bike ride alone. Good times!
Possum
Posted: Feb 16, 2009 9:37 pm    
What was the restaurant around East High that had the tiki torches and such? I barely remember it in the mid 70s.
GHSONG
Posted: Feb 16, 2009 10:07 pm    
the luau?
Possum
Posted: Feb 17, 2009 2:18 am    
I think you're right.
colin
Posted: Feb 17, 2009 8:00 am    
I went to the Luau as a kid a bunch of times...cool place!
Jeanice
Posted: Mar 1, 2009 6:38 pm    
The "Top of the 100" was on the rotating floor of the 100 N. Main Building with the giant "UP" on top. It later housed the Tennessee Club and Diane's.

I think St. Clair's was in the Cloverleaf Shopping Center.

Does anyone remember Joy Young on Union east of Cleveland? It was mystical to me as a little kid. There was later one in Eastgate.

Also, the restaurant in the 70s in Ashler Hall? It was creepy even then, but very elegant.
saispas
Posted: Mar 1, 2009 6:57 pm    
I remember driving past Ashler Hall with my mom circa 1973 and I asked what went on there and she said, "Swingers hang out there."
colin
Posted: Mar 2, 2009 8:34 am    
Yep...at Joy Young they had a huge turtle with a fountain near the entracnce that you could throw coins into. Im not sure if it was a real turtle or not. It was right there on Union across from the Post Office somewhere...right??
saispas
Posted: Mar 2, 2009 10:12 am    
My mom brought this up but I have zero recollection of it...was there some sort of breakfast spot in the location where Captain D's is now at Union and Belvedere? This would have been the early 70's...
Possum
Posted: Mar 5, 2009 9:26 pm    
I remember the Joy Young in Eastgate. Would giggle when I saw the Pu-Pu Tray.

I remember CK's by Oak Court Mall being a Dutch Pancake house back in the 70s and early 80s.
Alisa
Posted: Mar 6, 2009 3:30 pm    
Wasn't that an IHOP instead of Dutch Pancakes?

Speaking of...
I really really miss the IHOP on Union across from Methodist Hospital. This was in the early 80s I guess. Went there many a late night after jazz gigs.
I think they turned that building into a "Neil's" for a while...or the guy who ran Neil's ran it too. They had live music in there...used to go hear the Agitators with Lee Baker there. I liked that band because they'd play the Prince song "I Could Never Take the Place (of your man)".

Don't know what happened to that bldg.
saispas
Posted: Mar 6, 2009 5:06 pm | Edited by: saispas    
I think it was IHOP but back when they had a sort of Dutch Pancakes look. Very Hansel and Gretel.

Speaking of, anyone figure out what little breakfast spot was at Union and Belvedere???

And one more thing, what used to be at the SW corner of Peabody and Cooper?
Alisa
Posted: Mar 6, 2009 7:15 pm    
And one more thing, what used to be at the SW corner of Peabody and Cooper?

That was Miss Kitty's.
Right up the street south from High Cotton (which burned).

No clue about Union and Belvedere.
saispas
Posted: Mar 7, 2009 2:56 pm    
What was the pet shop where all the MCA studios are on Poplar? All I remember was Ruby Begonia's which was where the nail salon is now on Cooper.
UV Marky
Posted: Mar 11, 2009 10:45 pm    
what was elvis's favourite restraunt when he got real fat and ate crazy food what was his favourite place to eat in Memphis ? from Marcus
dweil
Posted: Mar 12, 2009 3:12 pm    
I know Mongo's Club was mentioned but I can't believe that nobody mentioned Mongo's Pizza on Highland. It was actually great pizza. There was another bar/restaurant that was almost next door that operated for a while, but I can't remember the name of it. I think they had some interesting pastas and it was a bit of a hole in the wall. I seem to remember a lot of white walls.

People mentioned Pappy and Jimmies at Overton Square. Actually, Pappy and Jimmies was at Poplar and Hollywood and had a great sign with two lobsters that had the faces of the owners on it. Pappy's Lobster Shack was at Overton Square.

I too remember the original Molly's on Lamar. You could smell the cat piss, which made it a great place to go. Her "boyfriend" was the host. And Molly made everything by hand. The food was awesome.

What was the name of the Vietnamese place on Cleveland that was so great? It had the name of the owner (a female). Also, that Burger King on Cleveland was a great Thai place for a while. Don't remember the name (maybe it's been mentioned already).

There was a bistro run by a married couple on Mt. Moriah right before the 240 overpass in the little strip mall there (next to the 7-11). Is it still there?

What was the restaurant that was originally on the curve of the building at Cooper-Young? It was great in the day. I think it was pretty much the first restaurant to open in the renaissance of Cooper Young.

There was a great little Mexican place/hole in the wall on Getwell that had hand-painted murals. I think it might have been the first really "authentic" Mexican place.

I still miss Harry's On Teur.

Did anyone mention the Southwestern Cafe yet? Or is it still there near Rhodes (I've been out of Memphis for quite a while now).

Was Sultana the name of the Indian place on Poplar near the Circuit Playhouse? Is that what people have been talking about?

How about the late Raji Jalipoli's place on Clark Place? Wasn't it named Raji's?

Surprised that nobody has mentioned that 24 hours place near the old Baptist Hospital. It was a California chain that was sort of like a very upscale Denny's. You could actually get a real cheese plate and French onion soup there at 3am. Sorry that I can't remember the name right now.

I don't think I saw The Four Flames or LaTourelle mentioned but maybe those were too obvious. How about The Cockeyed Camel on Poplar? Great burgers. And what about the place near Corky's that was converted from a fast food place? They put big curved windows on the front and served some pretty daring food for the time (mid 70s).

There was a little place that was open for a couple of years on Poplar close to Poplar and McNeil. It was in a nondescript 3-4 story late 50s style office building that might still even be there. I'm ashamed not to remember it because I actually knew the guy who opened it (and can't even remember *his* name now). Anyone remember this one?

And finally, what was the name of the place at Poplar and White Station - Tropical Freeze, right? What a place! It was about as wild a scene as The Luau (the "Polynesian" place that's been mentioned a few times).
Alisa
Posted: Mar 12, 2009 3:27 pm    
Did anyone mention the Southwestern Cafe yet? Or is it still there near Rhodes (I've been out of Memphis for quite a while now).

Think that was called the Southwestern Grill back then, but it's still very much there and called "Dino's Southwestern Grill" or just "Dino's" now. Has been Dino's for a very long time. I still go there all the time. They upscaled their Italian food a little bit, and it's pretty good. Still have the meat and three everyday.

I've got to re-read this long (and great) thread. Anybody mention Justine's yet?
And what was the name of that breakfast joint on Summer near Leahy's?
Alisa
Posted: Mar 12, 2009 3:28 pm    
what was elvis's favourite restraunt when he got real fat and ate crazy food what was his favourite place to eat in Memphis ? from Marcus

I do believe Elvis favored Leonard's BBQ on Bellevue.
dweil
Posted: Mar 12, 2009 3:30 pm    
I wrote:

"Also, that Burger King on Cleveland was a great Thai place for a while. Don't remember the name (maybe it's been mentioned already)".

I'm guessing that this is the aformentioned Golden Dragon. What a great place. They served me the hottest Thai dish that I've ever had - so great!

I see The Tropical Freeze was already mentioned. That place was sooooo cool to a 10 year old (pardon the pun!)

I hope that someone else can fill in some of the blanks of my post based on the vague descriptions I offered <g>.
Golightly
Posted: Mar 12, 2009 3:40 pm    
I ate at the Golden Dragon EVERYDAY when I worked downtown.
One time there was a emergency at home and my wife called Golden Dragon looking for me...she tried to describe me and when that didn't work, she said "He orders vegetable fried rice everyday.
The little lady came up to my table and said "Vegetable fried rice...you have phone call"
Alisa
Posted: Mar 12, 2009 4:16 pm    
I just read over all of this, and I'm full!

I also loved the Bon-Ton downtown, my first introduction to Greek food. Super cool place with those at table jukeboxes. Jim and I ate there a lot when he lived downtown in the early 80s. I don't think they've been closed down for very long...I took TK there the first time we met.
Will
Posted: Mar 12, 2009 4:46 pm    
i think the guy who ran that place passed away about 6 months ago and as far as i know it never re-opened.
saispas
Posted: Mar 12, 2009 4:58 pm    
I would give a million dollars to someone who would reopen the Tropical Freeze right where it used to be and then another mil to the person who kicked out Starbucks to replace it with Panchos Express. Yes, I have been drinking already today.
king louie
Posted: Mar 16, 2009 2:11 pm    
Does any one remember BUNTONS??? it was on Southern...That place was killah!
king louie
Posted: Mar 16, 2009 2:12 pm    
The Western steakhouse was an Elvis fave...And a great waggon wheeld joint up on madison!!!
Windy
Posted: Mar 16, 2009 2:35 pm    
I just read over all of this, and I'm full!

I also loved the Bon-Ton downtown, my first introduction to Greek food. Super cool place with those at table jukeboxes. Jim and I ate there a lot when he lived downtown in the early 80s. I don't think they've been closed down for very long...I took TK there the first time we met.

Wait, wait, wait, Bon - Ton is gone???? Shit.
Harry Balzac
Posted: Mar 18, 2009 9:26 pm    
Varsity Inn on Highland, near Mongos
Alisa
Posted: Mar 19, 2009 8:03 am    
Wait, wait, wait, Bon - Ton is gone???? Shit.

Yep, Bon Ton is gone. I agree...shit.

The "VI" on Highland is the first place I ever was clued into the fact that people got wasted. 10 cent draft for ladies...woo.
saispas
Posted: Mar 19, 2009 8:15 am    
Was the VI in a different building than Brother Junipers is? I used to go to the VI in the early 70's for burgers with dad but maybe that was called College Inn? Clear this up, those slightly older than me.
midtown reacharound
Posted: Mar 19, 2009 8:29 am    
I actually enjoyed that place in the upstairs part of Oak Court Mall next to Dillards. I think it was called Micks. I ate there often during my mid 90's U of M days.
Not that it's a restaraunt but I ate many pickeled sausages and pickeled eggs from those giant jars in Charlotte's bar on Cooper. THat lady made me laugh.
Alisa
Posted: Mar 19, 2009 8:40 am    
Was the VI in a different building than Brother Junipers is?

Yep, it was south of the tracks, pretty near (across the street) from where that Wendy's is now. College Inn was where Bro. Juniper's is now. You may have them confused because, if I remember right, the VI was painted that bright blue too.
Shawn T
Posted: May 23, 2009 7:30 pm    
what was elvis\'s favourite restraunt when he got real fat and ate crazy food what was his favourite place to eat in Memphis ? from Marcus

He was a big fan of Marlowe\'s too. It was down the street from his gate. I also remember J.P. Seafield's at G\'twn Village Sqaure. I think there was a Shoney\'s nearby that got burned down. Wilmoth\'s Restaurant at Pkwy Village on Perkins.
saispas
Posted: May 23, 2009 9:58 pm    
Marlowe's! Bishop Byrne and Memphis Prep cruise hang.
Alisa
Posted: May 24, 2009 7:50 am    
Hell, I miss SHONEY'S.
When I was little it was still "The Big Boy" and I just loved those statues.
First job I had I was 15 and a hostess at the Shoney's at Sycamore View and Hwy 70. The boss was a scary grown up man with a handlebar mustache who listened to WEVL. I don't think these two things were related but...He looked kind of like Steve Buscemi.

When I got out of high school and moved to midtown I used to eat at Shoney's in the "Mid City Center" (is that what they call where Zayre's was?) most every Sunday morning.
Sad how Shoney's did not translate to the new millenium.
T Mar
Posted: Aug 23, 2009 10:15 pm    
What was the name of the Cajun restaurant on Front St.? There was also one on Dexter Rd. (now a Corky's) in cordova, and one on Winchester. I didn't really like this place per se --- it's just killing me that I can't remember the name.
Alisa
Posted: Aug 24, 2009 8:14 am    
Was it Cajun Moon, or something like that?
Joe Buddha
Posted: Aug 24, 2009 12:38 pm    
Was it Cayenne Moon?
robin
Posted: Aug 24, 2009 3:01 pm    
Captain Bilbo's? They used to have commercials for that place all the time on Rock 103 when I was a kid.
Alisa
Posted: Aug 24, 2009 4:28 pm    
Yeah, I think it was Cayenne Moon.
Captain Bilbo's? That place was great!

There's finally another good seafood place downtown. I like that restaurant across from the Peabody. Blue Fish, Blue Fin, Flying Fish...? All the seafood places have almost the same name!
tennthomas
Posted: Jan 21, 2010 12:38 am    
Maybe not Cayenne Moon, but Cafe' Roux? Cayenne Moon was on Front Street, but the location mentioned at Dexter and G'town Pkwy was Cafe' Roux. There was also another Cafe' Roux on Winchester near Old G'town Road.
MemphisMusicFoundation
Posted: Jan 21, 2010 1:10 pm    
Im sure someone has already brought up JC and the "Big S Lounge" on Dunavant or was it Dunlap?

Best BBQ sandwich in Memphis. JC - the former owner who has since passed also was one of the founders of Paynes, but I like his sandwiches more than Paynes.
Wes Memphis
Posted: Jan 21, 2010 2:03 pm    
and the whistling of dropping bombs played loudly in the men's room. No lie!

I bet that went over well with the PTSD crowd. I can just see some 'ol vet missing the urinal every time a bomb drops.

Pat's Pizza
The Pancho's fast food joint at Poplar and White Station (now Starbucks)
Earl's Hot Biscuits in West Memphis
saispas
Posted: Jan 21, 2010 2:28 pm    
I was reading that Vance Lauderdale blog and was reminded we had a Sambo's! Yes we did. Problem is, I cannot for the life of me remember where it was located. I want to say it was way out on Summer, but so much goodness was " way out on Summer" (Summer Twin drive in, Skateland, Lipsey's Fish, Hungry Fisherman--off Summer, but you know--, Dot's Shoes, Market Basket...)
Wire
Posted: Jan 21, 2010 3:18 pm    
Heavenly Hoagie. On Union, just a parking lot away from the Buc. The sandwiches were great, the guy was great. If you had plenty of time to kill, it was the best sandwich shop around.
Golightly
Posted: Jan 21, 2010 3:25 pm    
There was a Sambo's on Winchester just east of Millbranch
kol 1945
Posted: Jan 21, 2010 3:43 pm | Edited by: kol 1945    
the biggest question is how is Dinos still open? they've not only outlasted all the other grissantis but are probably the oldest restaurant in midtown. the food tastes like Italian day at my former city school cafeteria. they use bottom of the barrel canned sauces, sam's club precooked meats, frozen veggies. the final punishment begins about an hour into digestion. the folks there are so nice though. do people just return their kindness with compliments on the food? i wonder if anyone who works there has ever tried the food. how could they be alright with it?? and of course it's incredibly expensive. ok got that out...however there's some chicken parmesean from a month ago i feel haunting my insides.
kol 1945
Posted: Jan 21, 2010 3:47 pm    
+ has anyone mentioned Cafe Samovar. that place ruled till the owner's daughter took over.
heyradio
Posted: Jan 21, 2010 5:30 pm    
+ has anyone mentioned Cafe Samovar. that place ruled till the owner's daughter took over.

I did back on the first page. The daughter never took over. Mr. and Mrs. Sadetsky just decided to retire to Miami, as Jews in their golden years often do.
Lester Jepsen
Posted: Jan 21, 2010 6:11 pm    
Frozen Custard on Mt Moriah (now a Dixie Queen)
Chelsea Street at Mall of Memphis
ZwickyBox
Posted: Jan 23, 2010 12:18 pm    
Harry's on Teur and the Babylon. Also Squash Blossom. I lived down the street on Belvedere and would stagger to the SB for carrot juice, my personal favorite hangover cure. Also, the original Dyer's. (I didn't know any better).
kathyshy
Posted: Feb 22, 2010 5:47 am    
The resturant on the bottom floor of the Hyatt was the Garden Terrace Cafe. In highschool (germantown) we would skip the class before lunch, take an extra long lunch and all pile up and go there to eat.
kathyshy
Posted: Feb 22, 2010 5:53 am    
My Most Missed Resturants:
The Luau, Joy Young, Tops, Cafe St. Clair.
Haven't been back to Memphis for years, but I grew up in Whitehaven and then in the early 70's moved with the masses out to Germantown. There was a great bar P.O.E.T.S. ( piss on everything tommorrows saturday) in Clark tower, that tolerated us highshcool brats. Fun times. It was a standing joke to go "eat our way down Summer ave". This thread brought back a lot of memories.
kathyshy
Posted: Feb 22, 2010 5:55 am    
The Spaghetti Store, for the bread mostly. The Magic Pan for good crepes. I worked at Shoneys in Germantown, still miss the food.
kathyshy
Posted: Feb 22, 2010 5:58 am    
EL CHICO"S come back!!
tonymemphis
Posted: Feb 22, 2010 8:18 pm    
Mark Twain Cafeteria. Went there every Sunday after Church.
The "Minute Man" on Summer where the Taco bell is now located.
The Grid Iron restaurant Now a shopping center where Aldi is.
Pat's Pizza
Lois' BarBQ on Wells Station road
Brads BarBQ on Waring
The "Shanti steak house" in front of Putt putt looked like an old gas station .
To many others long gone
Nocturnal Underground
Posted: Feb 23, 2010 9:46 pm    
Vanouchi's (sp) on south belview across from liberty market back in the 70s for Great late night steaks.
Knickerbocker on Poplar
Ray Gammons on Summer
Ruths for lunch at winchester and Tulahoma
Gridiron summer and national
I cannot remember the name of the restruant that was where walgreens sits now at summer and parkway but it was a favorite place back in the 60's and 70s
All time favorite Pies came from Famous Pie Co. Alot of restaurants in Memphis served them and advertised them as homemade. Think they closed in 1989 after 33 yrs here.
Wes
Posted: May 4, 2010 12:42 am    
Anybody remember Irelands? I loved the steak biscuits.
Beef and Liberty. Right across from Graceland. Give me death or give me Beef and Liberty. Used to go there most Sundays after church unless my dad wanted to play golf, in which case it was lunch at Whitehaven Country Club.
Shakey's for the only place I truely loved canadian bacon pizza.
Coletta's for BBQ pizza.
Piccadilly in the Southland Mall.
Are there any Coleman's BBQs left?
Joe Buddha
Posted: May 4, 2010 11:24 am    
Shakey's

Man, I would kill for some Shakeys.
I think they are still around on the west coast.
tigergreen
Posted: May 4, 2010 11:38 am    
I have no idea if it's already been mentioned, but Pepper's Pizza in Raleigh was some good stuff...used to go there almost every Saturday night with my parents.
Alisa
Posted: May 4, 2010 6:06 pm    
I grew up in Bartlett, and loved the Shanti. Went there on "special" dates. They relocated to Summer Ave. (now a pawn shop) for several years. It was still good and weird, but not like being in the original shack.
Speaking of...has anyone mentioned the old Pappy and Jimmy's at the Square? Before it was at Hollywood and Poplar? That was an incredible place!

Shakey's on Summer has a special place in my heart. My MYF leader played guitar there, and we'd go there on Sunday nights. Boy, did I ever have a crush on him! He and his wife took us church youth on a trip to some cabin he had access to in Paris, TN. Me and my gf did some mind altering on that trip, and almost got run over by a car coming over a hill on a bumfuck country road. Ahhh...great memories...
That pizza at Shakey's was mind altering in itself. What was in it? It was SO good.
anchor
Posted: May 4, 2010 6:33 pm    
There is a Coleman's Barbecue left on Millbranch which belonged to Bob Coleman's son Gene who recently died of heart problems.The original resturant owned by Bob Coleman is still open in Senatobia and used to have a pool table arcade game room.The franchises are all long gone or have changed names.They boil the meat instead of smoking it.Bob and his wife used to look like Wayne Newton and Dolly Parton and would often wear clothes when they went out that looked like Wayne and
Dolly's Vegas stage clothes and had big gangster whitewalls on his Lincoln Continental.The female workers used to wear You can't beat our meat t-shirts.Bob also had a record label with the Coleman's crown logo that put out some country rockers by ex rockabilly artists.
Alisa
Posted: May 4, 2010 8:34 pm    
anchor, thanks for all that. I used to work in a Fox Photo booth at Hwy 70 and Sycamore View. There was a Coleman's in the parking lot.
Wes
Posted: May 5, 2010 12:07 am    
Anyone have a memory of Vanucci's, them having great Italian food and having those at your table jukebox selections that you could page through. I don't remember the exact location but I thought it was near the airport by one of the old style Holiday Inns. Had to have been in the 70's.
Golightly
Posted: May 5, 2010 7:49 am    
The Coleman's people were a spin off from the Leonards BBQ folks....great Q and the hamburgers were killer
colin
Posted: May 5, 2010 11:11 am | Edited by: colin    
I had a memory of Bonanza that used to be on Union kinda where that Blockbuster and Exlines is. It was a crappy, cheapo, chain steakhouse similar to Logans or Outback, but long before that.
tigergreen
Posted: May 5, 2010 11:38 am | Edited by: tigergreen    
I had a memory of Bonanza

we had one of those growing up out in frayser, too....and it was crappy out there.
Wes
Posted: May 6, 2010 9:37 am    
Had one in Whitehaven too...crappy down there as well, but I liked it as a kid.
robin
Posted: May 6, 2010 1:06 pm    
When I was a kid we used to drive up from Mississippi to go to the Bonanza in Hickory Hill. One time we saw this really big guy hit up the ice cream bar- he got like a tiny squirt of soft serve vanilla, then lifted the tub of sprinkles out of the buffet and dumped it into his bowl. He was promptly ejected from the premises. Long live crappy Bonanza!
jakeleg
Posted: May 6, 2010 2:57 pm    
From the '70s: Ollie's Trolley, a burger joint, one across from city hall, the other somewhere near Poplar/Mendenhall.
Nocturnal Underground
Posted: May 8, 2010 4:40 pm    
Anyone have a memory of Vanucci's, them having great Italian food and having those at your table jukebox selections that you could page through. I don't remember the exact location but I thought it was near the airport by one of the old style Holiday Inns. Had to have been in the 70's.
the Vanuccci's I remember was on belevue just north of the bellevue drive in. It also had great steaks and there was a motel across the street but dont remember the name of it .
Wes
Posted: May 8, 2010 8:50 pm    
That must have been it because, now that you mention it, I do remember my dad ordering steaks and occasionally giving me a bite.
gillis
Posted: May 14, 2010 9:14 pm    
did anyone mention "Pat's Pizza"?
elsid
Posted: Aug 18, 2010 1:41 pm    
Fat Jimmy's Pizza on Summer
Bojangles on Poplar
Swensen's at Overton Square
Wink Martindale's at Overton Square
Public Eye at Overton Square
Squash Blossom
Whataburger in Frayser (glad we have them in TX)

Trying to remember a deli near the airport. Used to make great sandwiches and home-made Russian Dressing. Can't remember the name though
ldscop
Posted: Aug 26, 2010 9:08 pm    
Anyone recall the name of the place that threw rolls at you back in the 80's? It was near Winchester and Ridgeway across from the old Montesi/Service Merch. And no, it wasn't Lamberts!
Tommy Trouble
Posted: Aug 29, 2010 11:44 am    
Big S Lounge. Only ate there once, but it was a GREAT experience.
bruce
Posted: Aug 29, 2010 12:38 pm    
it's still open,
bruce
Posted: Aug 29, 2010 12:46 pm    
i think you just have to be andria to have any idea of the hours that they are open
Tommy Trouble
Posted: Aug 29, 2010 2:39 pm | Edited by: Tommy Trouble    
Yeah, but didn't the proprietor die?
I heard it wasn't the same there after.

Andria?
andria
Posted: Aug 30, 2010 10:12 pm    
Tommy -- the chef died, JC (we're convinced it stood for Jesus Christ) Hardaway. RIP to the best barbecue in Memphis!

Big Sam, the proprietor, is very much alive, although his gout flares up every now and then. I have his cell phone number, and call him when I wanna go by!
bruce
Posted: Aug 30, 2010 10:41 pm | Edited by: bruce    
ha, secret weapon, can i call you? friend from oz in town next week, is the food still great?
Tommy Trouble
Posted: Aug 31, 2010 10:08 am    
If you go, can I join you guys?
bruce
Posted: Aug 31, 2010 10:15 am    
sure
eric o
Posted: Aug 31, 2010 1:12 pm    
i'd say it's fun to get beers there!
andria
Posted: Aug 31, 2010 2:04 pm    
no food, other than a bag of potato chips if you're lucky. beer is cold! excellent DJs on the weekends.
Wes Memphis
Posted: Sep 1, 2010 10:46 pm    
Hurricane Earl's Hot Biscuits
KY Crusader 75
Posted: Sep 10, 2010 7:21 pm    
New to the board--came upon it while trying to think of a name of a restaurant that my wife and her family used to go to in the 1970's. It was a chain and located right near Mall of Memphis--- American Way and Perkins, perhaps. If anyone could remember it I'd appreciate the info. My wife grew up in Memphis and I lived there for a couple of years n early 1980's.

In any case--here's a few defunct Memphis restaurants that I recall, either from personal experience or from hearing my in-laws talk about them most are out East:

Schielke's Delicatessen--outstanding food, irascible owner

The Jolly Ox

Fred Gang's--near my Father-In-Law's plant near EP Blvd

The Village Squire-G'town

Palazzino & Cafe Max

Louie's--think it was an offshoot of Huey's--great red beans & rice
sherman
Posted: Sep 11, 2010 1:15 pm    
Schielke's old tyme deli--last good deli in memphis!
Wes Memphis
Posted: Sep 11, 2010 6:29 pm | Edited by: Wes Memphis    
"New to the board--came upon it while trying to think of a name of a restaurant that my wife and her family used to go to in the 1970's. It was a chain and located right near Mall of Memphis--- American Way and Perkins"

There was an Olive Garden there. May still be I'm not sure. Probably not what you're talking about I don't think it was around in the seventies but I could be wrong.
greg O
Posted: Sep 12, 2010 12:53 pm | Edited by: greg O    
Just starting to get a little cool weather up here in NC and it feels good, but I immediately want to eat about six pronto pups, and there is no comparable corn dog in this region. I loved the whataburger which was pronounced waterburger by everyone I grew up with in frayser. Not far down the street was the frayser Danvers. We ate there a lot. There was a stand up piano in the eating area, where you sat on big picnic tables. It didn't look or feel like a chain, though it was only a small chain at the time. Also, I'm not sure how many Frosty Tops there were in Memphis, but I only ever remember the one in Frayser and the one over on getwell. My dad used to take me to the one by us. Big round building with a giant mug of root beer on top. Impala motors bought and turned it into a car lot.
Kissy
Posted: Oct 4, 2010 4:04 pm    
What was the old pizza joint that was on poplar @ belvedere? I can't remember what it was. Its a taco bell now I think
Alisa
Posted: Oct 4, 2010 4:16 pm | Edited by: Alisa    
It wasn't a Shakey's was it? This thread has gotten so long I'm not even going back to find out if someone has talked about Shakey's. I went to the one at Mendenhall and Summer. My MYF leader played there, and we all thought it was the height of sophistication to go to a place where they served beer and you could hear sweet singer/songwriter guitar at the same time!

Plus, my little young teen brain thought the pizza was AWESOME!
Dignan
Posted: Oct 4, 2010 10:13 pm    
Schielke's old tyme deli--last good deli in memphis!

Agreed! Used to love their patty melt with smothered onions.

In a much lesser way, I also miss Kelly's Deli on Poplar west of White Station (in the little strip on land bordering the rr).

Also:

John Wills on Central
Leonards on S Parkway/Bellevue
Round the Corner (loved those phones)
The old Cockeyed Camel on Poplar (back in the 80s)
KY Crusader 75
Posted: Oct 17, 2010 6:19 pm    
I always liked the Cockeyed Camel. The story I heard was that it was illegal to have a "Pub" in Memphis, so the place changed its name to Cockeyed Camel Bup.......
Thomas OBrien
Posted: Oct 20, 2010 7:07 pm    
Man you guy's bring back many memories. I remember all these restaurants and really have nothing to add in that category, but do you remember Lipsey's seafood store? There were a couple of locations but I am thinking of the one on Summer Ave near White Station. Great selections of fresh seafood to purchase. I miss that store very much. Hungry Fisherman made me laugh, I even worked there for a whole 2 weeks when I was 18. They had a Sangria wine punch I use to love, but I bet it would be too sweet for my taste now. This is my first post, as I just found this message board, but you guys seem interesting and I hope to participate more.
CreMike
Posted: Oct 21, 2010 2:21 pm    
There used to be this place called burger junction (or alternately burger depot at some point) way out on summer. It was like subway with burgers, but waaay more awesome than that actually sounds. Basically it was burgers topped with anything you wanted selected from a subway type line setup, stocked with an impressive variety of fresh veggies, cheeses, sauces etc... Plus the staff and owners were super friendly and immediately learned my name and favorite toppings. I went out there one week and enjoyed a delicious burger, came back the next week to find the place completely shut down and cleared out. RIP Burger Junction, you are deeply missed
KY Crusader 75
Posted: Dec 3, 2010 9:06 pm    
I think Coco's was the name of the place I was looking for....
SnowDog
Posted: Feb 26, 2011 5:24 pm    
Well now...I don't think it's been too long since the last post to not keep this thread going...

I'm lucky to have found this forum. I was doing a Google search for Memphis restaurants from the 1970s, and this was the number one, and only relevant, result. There was a particular restaurant I was looking for, from my childhood, whose name had escaped me.

Reading all these posts over the past couple of days has really brought back so many memories, mostly of my early childhood. As a matter of fact, the very restaurant I was looking for was mentioned later on in this thread...it was the Beef & Liberty on Elvis Presley Blvd (E.P.B.) My grandfather used to take our family there for special occasions when I was very young.

Some other restaurants I hadn't thought about in a while, but that brought back fond memories, were Shakey's Pizza (hellza yeah...the Laurel & Hardy shorts were the best, and the player piano with the music on the paper scrolls), Fred Gangs on Airways (best salad bar that I've known to date), the Public Eye at Overton Square, Coletta's on Summer (if you asked, they would bake your pizza in the old stone oven...it would make the crust so crisp, and just so much better), The Jolly Ox (with all the glass-bottle bottoms in the walls), Sambo's (just loved their patty melt sandwich as a child - never ate at any in Memphis, though...the one I ate at, again and again, was in Arkansas, and we always stopped there on our road trips between Memphis and Shreveport, LA), Harry's on Teur (5-star food in a 2-star hole in the wall in Midtown), Arthur Treacher's Fish & Chips, the 91st Bomb Squadron (there was also a 94th Aero Squadron restaurant when I lived in Ft. Lauderdale, FL, in 1987 - 1988), and the original Grisanti's (only ate there once...the food was nothing to write home about, but John Grisanti was somewhat of a Memphis character; he once paid a very large sum of money for an old bottle of wine. When we ate there, John was declining in health, but he was there, making the rounds. He passed away soon thereafter, so I was glad that I had the opportunity to eat at the original Grisanti's while John was still around).

As for defunct Memphis restaurants that I don't recall seeing posted here, well, here are my submissions. Let me know what you think:

Victoria Station: was a steak restaurant built in two converted train cars. It was located in the bend in the road on Mendenhall, between Cottonwood and Mt. Moriah (in the Parkway Village area). I remember that they had really great barbeque ribs. As a kid, though, it was the attraction to the train cars that did it for me. LOL!

China Star: was a Chinese restaurant on E.P.B. in Whitehaven, near Marlowe's (mentioned here previously). I used to work at Brooks and Airways (for FedEx, thank you; not as a pimp, prostitute, or drug dealer), and, at different times, we would hit the China Star lunch buffet 2 - 3 times a week. There was something about this Chinese food that was / still is different than any other Chinese buffet food I have ever eaten in Memphis. There were little added touches that just set their offerings apart from everyone else. But the crowning achievement of China Star was the hibachi chicken. The preparation of this dish was unique to this restaurant. Many other Chinese restaurants have hibachi chicken, but none of their preparations have come close to China Star's. Flame grilled chicken that was continually basted in some kind of soy sauce / oyster sauce concoction. The chicken was cut into bite-sized pieces, was tender and juicy, and it was sweet and salty at the same time. And there were bits of green onions, garlic, and spices in the sweet & salty sauce that the chicken sat in (in) the serving dish. I used to like to take that salty & sweet sauce, with the good bits it contained, and put it in my egg drop soup. I think that's where the term "kick it up a notch" originated. LMAO!

Golden Wok: was a Thai / Chinese restaurant on American Way, near Getwell. The entire time I frequented this place, I always ate the same two things; the Thai egg rolls (when the rice egg-roll wrappers were available...not the flour wrappers), and the Tom Yum soup with Chicken. The owners, Sam and Lina, were just the sweetest people, and we used to drive from Brooks and Airways to have lunch at their Golden Wok. There was something very special about Sam and Lina's Tom Yum soup, so much so that people still frequently speak about it to this very day, even though this place closed, like, in the very early 2000s. When FedEx moved many of our departments from the airport area to Collierville in 1999, a good portion of Sam and Lina's business went with us, and Golden Wok didn't make it. We always joked that they put opium in the soup in order to keep us coming back (two of my co-workers and a I once at there 21 business days in a row). If you ever had the chance to have this unique Tom Yum soup, then you know what I'm talking about.

Woolsworth's: was a department store in Memphis when I was a boy. The one that I remember was in Whitehaven (on E.P.B. near Raines Rd), and it had a small grill / restaurant inside. My grandmother used to frequently take me there when we would spend quality time together. There was nothing special about the food...it's the memories that are most special to me. At one time, though, they served ice cream sundaes in plastic miniature baseball helmets. I was into baseball as a boy, so getting to take these little helmets home, wash them out, and then display them in my room was hog heaven for me <smile>.

Catfish King: was a Collierville catfish joint that came and went fairly quickly in the mid 2000s. It was on Byhalia Rd, about a quarter mile north of Poplar. The catfish was always good, but it was their honey biscuits that made me mention them. They always brought them out as an appetizer, and they were hot, fresh biscuits, straight from the oven, with a butter & honey drizzle on the top. We frequently had to request an additional order of four biscuits.

Eden's: was another 5-star restaurant that was first located, of all places, at the Sheffield Antique Mall in Collierville. They started in the very back of this antique mall, but they killed! We would eat lunch there, but you always had to arrive early or wait a long time (they had, like, five or six cheap plastic tables with chairs, and there would often be 8 - 10 people waiting for a spot). The crab bisque was to die for. They closed at this location, and ended up moving to another antique store on Summer Ave (the name of that store escapes me - I want to say it is in the Berclair area). The food was just as good at this new location, but I believe they ultimately closed down again, even though the antique store is still in business.

Morocco Cafe: was a great Middle Eastern restaurant on Echles, near the University of Memphis. The food here was awesome, everything that I tried, at least. I'm not certain if this is true or not, but a family member who frequented this establishment told me that some folks started acting a little more negatively towards the proprietors after the events of 9-11. I do know that the restaurant closed down at some point soon thereafter. If this is true, it's tragic. Either way, how tragic to lose such a great establishment. The claim to fame of the Morocco Cafe, though, and of any business that occupies that location, is the building. If you'll remember, this is where the original Freewheelin' Frank's (head shop) was located. Ah, that first wide-eyed foray into paraphernalia.

Johnny Rockets: The Dutch Pancake House / CK's, near the Oak Court Mall, was, for a time, a Johnny Rockets hamburger joint. The food was always fresh, hot, and good, the shakes were awesome, and the cherry and vanilla cokes were lip-smackin' sweet. They also had the old school nickel juke boxes at every table. Talk about uptown! It was worth the nickels to hear "Roll Over Beethoven" by Chuck Berry, or "Big Girls Don't Cry" by Frankie Valli & the Four Seasons...I think there was even some old Queen on those things. They closed that location and opened up one in the Wolfchase Galleria mall, but they didn't make it there for very long.

Bennigan's: Really, nothing much out of the ordinary here. Another restaurant in the Appleby's / Chili's vein. But, back in the day, they had the best Monte Cristo sandwich going, with this awesome raspberry jam to accompany it. They used to have a killer Death by Chocolate dessert as well. I mean, Lord...chocolate cake with chocolate icing, topped with chocolate ice cream, chocolate shavings, and chocolate syrup. I've always been a chocoholic, but c'mon!

Pizza Inn / The Inn One: Pizza Inn has been mentioned here previously. We used to frequent the Pizza Inn at Winchester & Mendenhall when I was in high school in the early to mid-1980s (let me hear it from all of my fellow Sheffield High alums!) We enjoyed the pizza well enough. The Inn One was a bar adjacent to this Pizza Inn; they were connected in the back. In the mid 80's, we loved to hang out at the Inn One, have a few cocktails, and watch <then> Memphis State basketball on the big screen. If we got hungry, we just ordered from the Pizza Inn menu. Nice! Oh, and if you did some elementary math there, you would arrive at the conclusion that we were doing under-aged drinking here. We felt so grown.

The Billiards Club: was a pool hall on Mt. Moriah at Ridgeway. Friends and I hung out there for a few years in the mid-1990s. A nice crowd, good pool tables, and a great juke box were always the norm; but it was the kitchen that made this place stand out. Kelly, and her husband, John, were the mainstays there, and Kelly really tore it up in the kitchen. Freshly made pizzas, sandwiches (cold or grilled), hot dogs, and cold, cold beer; quasi-pub grub, if you will, but it was always so delicious. For a time, this was the very best place to spend a long, enjoyable Friday or Saturday evening with my best bud, Pie
SnowDog
Posted: Feb 26, 2011 5:38 pm    
rre. We closed this place down so many times.

Ho Wan: was an Chinese restaurant in Cordova, on Germantown Rd near Macon. It was only there a few years, oh, but what a few years. They had a Chicken Corn Chowder that was killer. I believe it was an egg drop soup base, with fresh chicken, whole kernel corn, and fresh mushrooms. They always brought freshly fried egg noodles to put in the soup. Those, and a splash of soy sauce, rounded this chowder out nicely. The dish that really always did it for us, though, was their Singapore Noodles with chicken. Extremely thin noodles, with slivers of pork, onions, and mushrooms, all pan fried with a curry powder. You could order it as mild or as spicy as you wanted. This dish was always fresh, and always spicy and delicious...it never, ever disappointed. This establishment, and it's proprietor, Eva, are sorely missed.

Conestoga Steak House: was a steak place in Southaven, MS (close enough to Memphis, I think). It was a dive of a place, and had been known as a biker hang out at one time. It could be a rough place, but it had quite a reputation as having been a long-standing establishment in that Bullfrog Corner area of Southaven. We ate there towards the end, before it changed hands (I assume), and changed from Conestoga Steak House to the two or three things it has been since then. Conestoga had a steak place in the front of the restaurant, and a seafood place in the back. I ate there three times and enjoyed it each time. The food was OK, but the steak was particularly great on one occasion. I mention this place more because it was a reputable mainstay in this location for a long time, and I'm glad I got to eat at Conestoga Steak House before it closed down.

I think that's about it for now. I'll think of more, I'm certain. I'll post another update when I do.

Happy reflecting...

SnowDog
eric o
Posted: Mar 1, 2011 8:24 am | Edited by: eric o    
Zinnies East Closed ... not my favorite joint, but it had been there a while.
mattsparks
Posted: Mar 1, 2011 9:51 am    
some folks started acting a little more negatively towards the proprietors after the events of 9-11. I do know that the restaurant closed down at some point soon thereafter. If this is true, it's tragic. Either way, how tragic to lose such a great establishment.

This is true. "Go home sandni**ers" was spraypainted on the building at one point.

Very sad that people can't look at a map.
eric o
Posted: Mar 1, 2011 1:04 pm    
Morocco Cafe
... was run by Amir, Casablanca fellow, right?
Freeflyur
Posted: Apr 30, 2011 6:13 pm    
I always liked the Cockeyed Camel. The story I heard was that it was illegal to have a "Pub" in Memphis, so the place changed its name to Cockeyed Camel Bup.......

You're right, KY Crusader. The laws finally changed around the late 70's/early 80's. Before that, we couldn't have a Steak and Ale either. Steak and Ale owned another restaurant chain called The Jolly Ox for areas that wouldn't allow words like "pub" and "ale" in their signage. I remember going to The Jolly Ox as a kid. There was one over in the Southland Mall area, I think. Around Raines or Brooks Rd.

BTW, I loved The Cockeyed Camel. I have a fond memory of skipping school and standing in line at Peaches Records to get tickets for Bob Seger as a birthday gift for my mom. There was a lady in line who couldn't wait any longer, so she gave me her money to buy tickets for her and her boyfriend. I had never seen this woman in my life, but she trusted me. Only in the 70's. We went to the concert at the Mid South Colieseum (where ALL the great concerts were then), and this same lady and her boyfriend kept passing me and my mom one of their home-rolled cigarettes. Afterward, we went to the Camel, ate tons of oysters on the half shell, and laughed ourselves silly. It was such a different world. God, I miss it.

Someone mentioned The Pyrenees as being in the Hyatt Regency. I don't remember that. When we went to The Pyrenees, it was on top of the White Station Tower, that two-toned building dwarfed by the Clark Tower. The building is still there with the UFO shaped top, but I don't think there's been a restaurant there in decades. I believe it was called The Embers before that, and there was a second location (of The Embers) on Park.

Does anyone remember the name of the restaurant bar that was in the other UFO shaped structure that is part of the Mid-City Building at Union and Cleveland next to Methodist Hospital? I remember going there in the mid-70's.
Freeflyur
Posted: Apr 30, 2011 7:00 pm    
I'm really digging this thread and trying to remember some haunts from the past that haven't been mentioned yet.

Gaffers: No, not the guys who toil on movie sets. Gaffers was a bar/restaurant similar to what would now be termed a sports bar. In the 70's and 80's it was located on Perkins Road between Knight Arnold and American Way. In terms of the food, I remember they had the best fried cheese on earth. It wasn't processed, frozen mozarella sticks like we get today. They breaded and deep fried huge hunks of cheddar and mozarella that were bigger than hushpuppies. So good. I was in there with my parents the night that the Perkins Bridge washed out over Nonconnah Creek, a couple of blocks away, sending several cars into the flooded creek and killing MSU star Bill Austin.

The Sawmill: This was another meat and potatoes type restaurant I believe somewhere near Democrat and Airways where we went often circa 1975 and had steaks.

Jefferson Square: I think this one was owned by Jake "The North End" Schorr, and it had similar extensive menu. When I was kid, it seemed like a cool place to hang out because everbody was always younger than my parents.

Berettas: An Italian restaurant in the Park/Highland area. Beretta's had the best barbecue pizzas. Nope, I'm not confusing it with Coletta's. We actually liked the ones at Berettas better.

The Chalet: Super cozy and romantic restaurant bistro type place. Went there a few times circa the early 80's. If I remember correctly it was somewhere around the Summer/Berclair area.

Midtown: So many great places in the Overton Square area which was really alive back then. I'm talking the 70's and early 80's. Soloman Alfred's (best live music & inexpensive steaks), Fantasia, Trader Dick's (where the Blue Monkey is now), and The Bombay Bicycle Club (dismiss it as a fern bar, but the oysters were good, drinks excellent, and high times abundant ;-), and Palm Court.

Eastern Restaurant: This was located in what I think was called Mendenhall Square right by Winchester. It was a Chinese restaurant where we went for years and years as they had the best Chicken Cantonese. The little Asian lady who worked the register was hysterical. She knew two English phrases: "What name?" and "How spell?" It became such a running joke that one time when she asked me my name, I said "Chen" thinking she surely wouldn't ask me how to spell it, but in fact she did!

Mall Restaurants: Like every 70's 80's teen, I worked in two malls. Anybody remember The Sword and the Kilt in Thalheimers? They had a terrific Monte Cristo. In the Hickory Ridge Mall, the first restaurant was called Mondays. I guess it was supposed to be a low-key version of Friday's. Later when I managed a store there, the name had changed to Annabelle's. I spent several Christmas seasons having extremely long liquid lunches there, trying to get away from my staff and the horrible customers.
eric o
Posted: Apr 30, 2011 11:04 pm    
Great stuff! THANKS!... love this. Keep 'em coming folks...
bruce
Posted: Apr 30, 2011 11:11 pm    
man, can you get a decent monte cristo anywhere now?
BHa
Posted: May 4, 2011 8:33 pm    
U of M/Highland Area:

What was the Turkish restaurant on Highland in the space where Spice of the Islands was just before it?

Also, what was the Russian restaurant in the otherwise residential neighborhood on Patterson Street? I thinks it's been a bunch of restaurants before and after the Russian place but all I remember is that delicious Chicken Kiev.
Vinyl Ritchie
Posted: May 11, 2011 8:58 am    

brother junipers has a great one
andria
Posted: May 11, 2011 9:14 am    
went to Big S last night - whoo!
Scott
Posted: May 11, 2011 10:07 am    

Half-Shell!
Rumpleforeskin
Posted: May 13, 2011 11:04 pm    
I miss Bruno's , little Italian Restaurant that was briefly in business about 3 years ago at Madison/ Cleveland. Food was really good and prices reasonable.
heyradio
Posted: May 16, 2011 2:59 pm    
I miss Bruno's , little Italian Restaurant that was briefly in business about 3 years ago at Madison/ Cleveland. Food was really good and prices reasonable.

Ugh. I went there with my girlfriend at the time and she ordered the Manicotti; it was the exact frozen variety she sometimes bought at Schnucks. My meal wasn't any better.

Anyway, it briefly moved into Cafe Napolen downtown (who has better than decent catfish, by the way). Not sure if it's still there, though.
T Mar
Posted: Jun 26, 2011 7:25 pm    
What was the name of the restaurant from the late 80's on Ridgeway (where Amerigo is now - I think), that had the funny bar stools designed to look like people's legs?
T Mar
Posted: Jun 27, 2011 9:04 am    
Maybe not Cayenne Moon, but Cafe' Roux? Cayenne Moon was on Front Street, but the location mentioned at Dexter and G'town Pkwy was Cafe' Roux. There was also another Cafe' Roux on Winchester near Old G'town Road.
By the way, this was correct. Though I swear there was also one downtown, maybe not Front street, but on Main or something. I went there for dinner after watching Robert Duvall and James Earl Jones shoot a scene for a movie at The Arcade, this was back in 92' or 93'.
Vinyl Ritchie
Posted: Jun 27, 2011 11:32 am    
Cafe Max (Poplar and Ridgeway) had some good stuff. They did a big seafood boil and had some other good dishes. Also, the first place in town I remember having fancy ass coffee drinks (pre-Starbucks days)
Dalebob
Posted: Nov 11, 2011 12:58 am    
Jimmy Tin's Port Shanghai
Dalebob
Posted: Nov 11, 2011 1:01 am    
Jimmy Tin's Port Shanghai. A standout local Chinese joint in the late 70's.
free plax
Posted: Nov 19, 2011 11:23 am | Edited by: free plax    
Not gonna look through the entire thread to see if this has been posted.

courtesy of an email from fierydrunk....

Defunct Memphis Restaurants
chiaroscuro
Posted: Mar 14, 2012 6:49 pm    
Does anyone remember a bar in Overton Square, back in the 70's that had a bunch of couches where you could just lie around and drink, lol? I was underage but got in somehow, kept ordering frozen pina coladas cuz I didn't know any better. We were at Pickwick for the summer and this guy I was dating said he'd take me wherever I wanted to go...I said, "Overton Square in Memphis", never imagining he'd really follow through. Wish I could remember the name of the place.
Meowlinda
Posted: Apr 16, 2012 1:56 pm    
Does anyone remember an Italian restaurant called Mando's in the shopping center on Perkins near Knight Arnold? It was near the TG&Y and across from McDonald's and Wilmoths Cafeteria. It was great. There was also a pool hall a few doors down.
Meowlinda
Posted: Apr 16, 2012 2:02 pm    
They had a terrific Monte Cristo. In the Hickory Ridge Mall, the first restaurant was called Mondays. I guess it was supposed to be a low-key version of Friday's.

They had huge wicker chairs at Monday's.
Meowlinda
Posted: Apr 16, 2012 2:03 pm    
Remember Ireland's and their sausage biscuits and skinny french fries? I loved that place! Where exactly was it? Seems like it was near Union Ave Extended OR near the airport. ????
Jack Stands
Posted: Apr 16, 2012 2:10 pm    
TG&Y?
I know that's not a restaurant, but jesus, that goes way back.
Mr Entropy
Posted: Apr 16, 2012 3:16 pm    
I don't remember Monday's in Hickory Ridge but I remember Annabelle's pretty distinctly. As a 10 year old, I really enjoyed their french onion soup and getting Shirley Temples, which, while a fairly basic drink, I don't remember seeing on too many other menus.
SAMBEAUX
Posted: Apr 16, 2012 6:06 pm    
Shirley Temples, which, while a fairly basic drink, I don't remember seeing on too many other menus

It helps to know your bartender...
Mr Entropy
Posted: Apr 16, 2012 6:53 pm    
It helps to know your bartender...

Well ... I was ten years old. Since I put on my big boy pants I've moved on to Roy Rogers.
bababbqgoat
Posted: Apr 16, 2012 11:24 pm    
Cafe Samavor- O.G. Location in G-town- I mopped floors there when I was 16
Babylon Cafe- Midtown- Drank Cough Syrup There -16- worst buzz eve
John Wills- Sanderlin- worked there for years- best Spag and Pork Plate in the city- Used to drink at the hotel bar across the parket lot and try to shag my coworkers there.
That Dairy Kosher Jewish joint in east memphis by the dougnut shop- worked there for year or so- played Oblivians, The Gories, etc, etc none stop in kitchen
Number One Beale- Downtown- Worked there, smoked crack in the walkin a few times
bababbqgoat
Posted: Apr 16, 2012 11:32 pm    
The vegetarian joint at Park and Highland- Nasty Kitchen- Biggest Rats seen in Mempho- Bad Crank habit then-worked there
RP TRacks-Pills, Pills and black bean tofu nachos- work there
Aurbergene- East Memphis-Garde Marge- I made f-ing salads- alot of beer and weed to deal w/ cHef Gene
Silver SPOON-gTOWN- 80'S YUPPY FOODER- weed, bad beer
bAR -tj Mulligans- hickory hill- ccccoocococococaine and lots of skrillla for bar backing goodtimes- toooo many dui's
happyjack
Posted: May 4, 2012 8:02 pm    
Lambs Eat Shop was behind a screened in area in an empty warehouse (picnic tables out in the empty warehouse) and had incredible fried pies, as well as the best bbq sandwich. Lamb would wear a stained white apron and one of those white folded paper hats that food workers used to wear. If you ordered the hot sauce he'd warn you, you'd "have to change your socks."

Buntyns on Southern was the best Southern cafe ever. One of the newspapers did a piece on the magnificent lady who made those rolls. She would never divulge her secrets. The peach cobbler was to die for. I've spoken with a number of famous musicians who, upon discovering I was from Memphis, confessed their bands would always head straight to Buntyns when they hit town.

The Conestoga Steak House in Southaven, MS was a trip. One room was wallpapered with old newspaper. Another room had hundreds of butter pats on the ceiling. One of my dining companions asked the waitress what she would do if he flicked a butter pat onto the ceiling. She said matter-of-factly, " I'll pinch your head off."

Loved the Bon Ton and so many others now gone.
Gerry
Posted: May 15, 2012 1:13 pm    
Does anybody remember the Dobbs House restaurants . The best burgers and chocolate ice box pies. They also catered to the airlines ...
Shelley
Posted: Aug 14, 2012 10:42 am    
Here are a few that come to mind (some have already been mentioned)
The restaurant in Woolworths in the Raleigh Springs Mall
Old Stage in Bartlett that was eventually bought by Danvers
Swiss Manor
Four Flames
Toddle House on Poplar - lots of late night studying there in college
Shoney's in the Raleigh Springs Mall
George & David's - downtown on Jefferson
The cafeteria in the 100 N. Main building
Charlotte's Bar on Cooper
Cooker - Loved that place
Russian deli on Echles
Mark Twain Cafeteria - what childhood memories...
Bennigans
Cafe Espresso at Ridgeway
eric o
Posted: Aug 15, 2012 1:17 pm    
Buntyns on Southern was the best Southern cafe ever.

Buntyns ruled!
Kbllady
Posted: Apr 2, 2013 9:45 pm    
Does anyone remember the restaurant on Poplar in between Ridgeway and Massey where Starbucks is located now? It was an Italian restaurant in a small white cottage type building. They wrapped up leftovers in a foil swan.
senor boogie woogie
Posted: May 4, 2013 6:57 am    
Living outside of Memphis in China, I would love and pay a dear price for a gallon of Panchos cheese dip. That was one of the best cheese dips ever, and they sell (or sold it) in supermarkets.

So I remmeber the Panchos on Poplar which became a freaking Starbucks.
Midtown Bev
Posted: May 16, 2013 2:00 pm    
Does anyone remember a bar in Overton Square, back in the 70's that had a bunch of couches where you could just lie around and drink, lol?

That was probably the Looking Glass, the relatively short-lived precursor to Bombay Bicycle Club. It had a bar, and behind it big couches arranged in front of a fireplace.
Edward Delacroix
Posted: Aug 29, 2013 12:03 pm    
Lambs Eat Shop was behind a screened in area in an empty warehouse (picnic tables out in the empty warehouse) and had incredible fried pies, as well as the best bbq sandwich. Lamb would wear a stained white apron and one of those white folded paper hats that food workers used to wear. If you ordered the hot sauce he'd warn you, you'd "have to change your socks."

That was not an empty warehouse; what you were in was Memphis' original indoor shopping mall - built God only knows how many decades before. The nasty Kroger at Poplar and Cleveland is where it was located. You had Mr. Lamb's description spot on, alright. There were two other characters in the play, though. Mrs. Saxon always stood back there chopping pork with a minimum of effort. And Miss Lula - an elderly lady who had one eye bigger than the other who would look at you like she wanted to beat your ass if you tried to order more than one fried pie to go. ("I can only let you have one ... the rest are for our regular customers!") I used to ask her at least once a week - I ate there that often in the early 80's - just to get her riled up. Apparently, Mrs. Saxon got up at some ungodly hour to make those wonderful fried peach pies, and one had to respect the Saxonian effort those things must have taken every day.
Uptight White
Posted: Aug 29, 2013 2:17 pm | Edited by: Uptight White    
Buntyns ruled!

That it did. Hope Presbyterian in Cordova sells rolls during pledge drives that are almost as good.
pineywoodsfats
Posted: Sep 9, 2013 6:36 pm    
The Cotton Bowl on East Parkway next to Overton Park in the 1950s for after-church Sunday dinner.
Tim Teabag
Posted: Sep 10, 2013 1:18 pm    
"New to the board--came upon it while trying to think of a name of a restaurant that my wife and her family used to go to in the 1970's. It was a chain and located right near Mall of Memphis--- American Way and Perkins"

The Sawmill?
eric o
Posted: Feb 25, 2014 12:32 pm    
Having a Great Meal, Wish You Were Here! Fifty years of dining in Memphis. by Vance Lauderdale

http://www.memphismagazine.com/February-2014/Having-a-Great-Meal-Wish- You-Were-Here/index.php?cparticle=2&siarticle=1#artanc
Sloane Wendell
Posted: Mar 6, 2014 10:59 pm    
Shakey's was nostalgic. The pizza was good but the piano was great.

Morrison's, oh man, I never liked it. Everything on the salad and dessert
bar smelled and tasted like plastic to me.
Alisa
Posted: Mar 7, 2014 3:57 pm    
I just came across a great book in this estate that I'm helping to settle. It's a book that has all the old Memphis restaurant menus in it, and is called...Memphis Menus. Published in 1983 with 50 original menus in it. Justine's, Giovanni's, Jefferson Square, Bombay Bicycle Club, Wink Martindales...and on and on. I'll post a link to it when I put it up on eBay. Very cool!
eric o
Posted: Mar 9, 2014 8:10 pm    
Sounds fantastic.
 Page Page:  ««  1  2
Your answer
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  URL Link  Disable BB codes *What's this?

» Name  » Password 

victim of time

victim of time

By posting on this board you agree to these Terms Of Use

Page loading time (secs): 0.121