7" out Now!

AUSMUTEANTS lp

AUSMUTEANTS
Great young Aussie
Punks - Synths + Snot!

UPCOMING EVENTS
Thursday August 28 The Clean, Boogarins, Nots HiTone
Friday August 29 TSOT, Lenguas Largas, White Night
Gonerfest 11 September 25-28 2014 more info here!

Ty Segall - Manipulator dbl lp (Drag City Records)

Sick Thoughts - Coming Over 7' (Going Underground Records)

Reigning Sound - Shattered lp (Merge)

Mascis, J - Tied To A Star lp (Sub Pop Records)

The Clean - Anthology 4 lp boxset (Merge Records)
Dutch Masters - All In The Wires lp (Spacecase)

Crime - Murder By Guitar lp (Superior Viaduct)

Grifers, The - Possible Obstructed View cdr (No Label)
Collins, Paul - Feel The Noise lp (Alive)
Golden Pelicans - s/t lp (Total Punk)
Sluts, the - 12' of Sluts 12' (Jeth-row/Race/Spread Um)

Ausmuteants - It's Alive Recorded Live On PBS cassette (In The S

TY SEGALL
Manipulator dbl lp/cd
Latest from Ty! Rockin stuff! ON SALE AT GONER! 23.99!

Catc

SICK THOUGHTS.
Coming Over 7"
(Going Underground)
The Real Baltimore underground returns with ANOTHER single... and it's great! Nasty post-Reatards bad attitude!
Goner single coming!

REIGNING SOUND
Shattered lp/cd
( Merge)

New frpm Greg Cartwright & Co- getting huge raves!

J MASCIS
Tied To A Star
lp (Sub Pop)

New from Dno man!

THE CLEAN
Anthology
4lp Box Set (Merge)
Most excellent NZ band's first albums!

PLAYING MEMPHIS THIS THURSDAY!!!

DUTCH MASTERS
All In The Wires lp
(Spacecase)
Eric O & Memphis/Oxford superstars archival blast!

CRIME
Murder By Guitar lp
(Superior Viaduct)

Greatest trash-punk band ever - all singles plus more!

GRIFTERS
Possible Obstructive View cdr
(no label)

Our heroes live! Great set, long set, worth it!

PAUL COLLINS
Feel The Noise
lp/cd
(Deadbeat)

Ex-Beat powerpopper for life never stops cranking out the hooks and the jams!

Coming to open Gonerfest 11!

GOLDEN PELICANS
s/t lp
(Total Punk)
Aussie Full-on Florida PUNK Rip your face off and dance on it!

COMING TO GONERFEST 11

SLUTS
12"s of Sluts lp

(Jeth-Row)
Reissue of GG-styled raw New Orleans punk rock!

AUSMUTEANTS
It's Alive - Live on PBS cassette
(In The Shit, IT)
Great live recording of Aussie wunde
rkids tearing it up. DRINK COOPERS!

Goner Records Bulliten Board Goner Records Bulletin Board
 » Name  » Password 
Goner Message Board / Goner Records / Reigning Sound/Detroit Cobras
steve harvey
Posted: Oct 20, 2005 3:22 am    
I saw them play and it was sweet as shit
bkondrak
Posted: Oct 20, 2005 10:30 am    
how many songs did Greg play with the Cobras?
steve harvey
Posted: Oct 21, 2005 12:55 am    
the whole set
krakhaus
Posted: Nov 2, 2005 7:53 pm    
I wan't gonna tell nobody cuz it shows whats a shitstick I am but...

I missed the Reigning Sound the other night cuz I got too zooted and went in the wrong side of The Gypsy Tea Room here in Dull-Ass, Tejas. This venue is like two in one, and most bands I want to see play the little side. I was by myself and so out of it that I was hynotized by the cheesey-ass scene that surrounded the show on that side (Reverend Obsolete/Horton Heat). There was gambling booths, HOT dancing girls on little platforms and other shit. By the time I pulled my head out and headed to the udder side I saw Greg O. on stage with his git and the drums were set up so I thought I made it. He hopped down and I went up to him and said "Please tell me that I didn't miss your band!??". He said "Oh, we just played...", and some dufus comes up and says, "That was the best rock and roll show I ever saw!". I slithered to the back of the crowd with my jaw on the floor. He played lead for the Detroit Cobras the whole time so that was cool but not quite the same, ehh!?

You lucky basitds get to see 'em alla time. I might come to Memphis for the New Years Eve Show...
carney
Posted: Nov 3, 2005 3:19 pm    
The Reigning Sound was awesome in Austin. The Detroit Cobras were much better thatn the last time I saw them, but still a little stale. I think Greg's presence makes them try a little harder. This Damn Town opened and I really liked their set.
blue collar
Posted: Nov 4, 2005 1:34 am    
Agree with Carney, Although "this damn danzig" kicks drummers out of every band to spoon his "gal" in the seat! Who asked me though?
Theresa K
Posted: Nov 4, 2005 1:49 am    
and tomorrow, they are in LA and so am I. can't wait!
bkondrak
Posted: Nov 4, 2005 6:30 am    
Paul Allen's FM station out here in Seattle is "presenting the show" so they promo it and play a Cobra's track every three hours.
carney
Posted: Nov 4, 2005 2:22 pm    
I wasn't gonna make the Danzig comparision, but yeah. On a side note, I really thoght I was gonna hafta smash a bottle upside the skinheads dressed ala Clockwork Orange. I heard one of them say,"Everybody here hates us." No shit, Sherlock.
kosta
Posted: Nov 4, 2005 3:40 pm    
what is this memphis new year's eve show you speak of?
krakhaus
Posted: Nov 4, 2005 5:01 pm    
After I missed the show I decided to look up the website for The Hi-Tone, a club in Memphis that I know the Sound play at often, and the next time they were gonna wuz on New Year's Eve. So far nobody else wuz on the bill. Never been to Memphis, would that be a good time to be there?
kosta
Posted: Nov 4, 2005 7:01 pm    
i went last year for the RS / Quintron New Year's show at the Hi-Tone and had an awesome time. was nice and warm down there too compared to January in Michigan. good times for sure.
blue collar
Posted: Nov 4, 2005 8:27 pm    
yea carney, i was the guy behind them holding the beer bottle all battle style! goddamn those guys sucked!
goldengardner
Posted: Nov 4, 2005 8:37 pm    
.I really thoght I was gonna hafta smash a bottle upside the skinheads dressed ala Clockwork Orange

I thought it was just me. Those Clockwork Orange guys were a bunch of dicks. They pushed by me once to get through the crowd but I thought "You know it's a show and these guys are probably all excited" but I guess they were acting like that all night. I was waiting for another encounter but it never happened.
The Reigning Sound were great! Three piece perfection
carney
Posted: Nov 4, 2005 9:02 pm    
yea carney, i was the guy behind them holding the beer bottle all battle style! goddamn those guys sucked!
Lol. That was me in front/next to you with the beard and the Bud hat.
bkondrak
Posted: Nov 5, 2005 3:21 am    
Nice interview with the Cobras in the current Seattle Weekly
the link is
http://www.seattleweekly.com/features/0544/05102_music_detroit.php

if that don't work just go to the main page and scroll down
blue collar
Posted: Nov 7, 2005 6:32 pm    
HA! i think i was asking you if you needed an extra bottle, i had a few saved up for the turkeys.
bkondrak
Posted: Nov 9, 2005 9:37 am    
Show in Seattle got an early start and I seemed to be among the few who didn't get that message. Walked in before 11pm, and the got three songs from Reigning Sound which was the 2nd band of the night. Greg's voice sounded way better than at the Hi Tone when they played GFest2. The Vancouver BC posse got animated and Greg was gracious enough to name check them. After the RS stopped I had some wiggle room in the throng, it was packed, close to 500 at $12 per, a managed to run into some people I knew. Turns out one of Van BC bunch is booking the Khan/BBQ show on the 25th. I asked after Johnny Roman, and nobody has seen him in years, here's hoping he still kicking. I have to remind Khan to get into Van BC early on Friday to be interviewed on Nard's radio show, think it's on the air at 12 noon.

Only thing that brought out the crowd for this one was the radio promotion given by being welcomed by KEXP. Even though the Cobras failed to show up for the on air at 4pm on Tuesday. DJ said it was "Transportation problems".

As usual the crowd is cool in Seattle, a least too cool to dig "we want mambo.." So Rachel tried to break the ice by drinking hi balls and chain smoking. Voice still sounds like a relative of young Etta James backup singer.
zac
Posted: Nov 9, 2005 9:00 pm    
Bob, I don't want to get personal or anything, but why were you wearing a thong at the rock show?
levon
Posted: Nov 10, 2005 1:09 am    
Reigining Sound were insane in Seattle, fast as hell. I was doubting driving down from Vancouver after work, but it was amazing!
levon
Posted: Nov 10, 2005 1:10 am    
also, you dind't miss much from the first band. complete horseshit cock emo or someting.
bkondrak
Posted: Nov 10, 2005 6:53 am    
a thong at the rock show
I save that item for "bears only" night at the gay dance clubs.
It's easier to wiggle it in and out in a throng wearing a thong
after hitting a gong..

Whatever happened to that UK group "Speed"
Joe
Posted: Nov 11, 2005 12:22 am    
The show in Portland KILLED! Reigning Sound played so fucking fast, and the first three songs were "Time Bomb HS", "Stormy Weather", and "Straight Shooter"! What a way to start the show!! FUCK!

We only stuck around for a couple of Cobras songs. I'm not a big fan, but she sounded WAY better than I was expecting from everything I've heard/read about their live shows. She totally looks like a drag queen, though.

Greg's voice was UNREAL!
Claude Zachary
Posted: Nov 11, 2005 3:33 pm    
The Phoenix show was great too. The opening band bailed out or something so RS played a double set. I think I got to hear every Greg O. song I could ask for, fuck he must of played 30 songs, seemed like it anyway. Awesome.
Windy
Posted: Nov 11, 2005 10:12 pm    
Salt Lake show was reportedly great too.
alex cuervo
Posted: Nov 16, 2005 7:50 pm    
blue collarMember

Posted: Nov 3, 2005, 7:34 pm   getQuotation();Quote
   Agree with Carney, Although "this damn danzig" kicks drummers out of every band to spoon his "gal" in the seat! Who asked me though?

Okay - "This Damn Danzig" is pretty fucking funny. I'm used to getting teased about that - fine. For the record, it's just how I sing - I'm not intentionally trying to ape him, but whatever... You're assertion that I "kick drummers out of every band" to replace them with my girlfriend is fucking BULLSHIT though. Dillon didn't move to Austin - there was a vacancy & my "girlfriend" happens to be a kickass drummer - so no brainer there; she filled the vacancy. Nobody got kicked out so she could join the band. If you're gonna criticize us, that's your perogative & I respect that, but if you're gonna make shit up to sound "in the know" then please just go fuck yourself.
blue collar
Posted: Nov 16, 2005 11:17 pm    
alex, i wasnt necessarily talking about "TDT". i was actually quite impressed with you guys that night, as i always have been. ive always caught a glimpse of "danzig" in all your past stuff,obviously not intentional and very much your own voice. I wish i could have deleted that post the next morning but......
correct, i should not have written that "shit" on a message board.APOLOGIES
blue collar
Posted: Nov 16, 2005 11:19 pm    
oh...first post was the "quervo" jibber.....happens sometimes
blue collar
Posted: Nov 16, 2005 11:20 pm    
"cuervo", even
alex cuervo
Posted: Nov 17, 2005 12:08 am    
okey doke - apology accepted.

I'm gonna go grease up my devilock & fuck some goats to celebrate.

Wheeeee!!!
blue collar
Posted: Nov 17, 2005 3:12 am    
should'nt it be more like " made love to the howlin wolves"? HA...i'll ye'll out " im the one" at the next show....jump down, i deserve a smack! just one, i smack back.
blue collar
Posted: Nov 17, 2005 3:12 am    
should'nt it be more like " made love to the howlin wolves"? HA...i'll ye'll out " im the one" at the next show....jump down, i deserve a smack! just one, i smack back.
dumbinic
Posted: Feb 23, 2006 6:03 pm    
we opened this show in Ft Lauderdale and Reigning sound was the shit!

The venue they played was a little weird, but whatever. what was really weird was how drunk and seemingly lame the singer from Detroit Cobras was acting. The band was pretty rad but she came out and was like basically complaining about the crowd not 'doing anything,' while she stood there not doing shit! People danced the whole RS set and were into the show for sure. The lady in the cobras was so weak that people just kept leaving etc etc. Lady singer from DC was a total wet blanket. RS was unreal. I never seen them before and they were super rad.

next time RS should play Churchill's in Miami instead of culture room for sure, but I am partial.
flibby
Posted: Feb 23, 2006 10:31 pm    
I refused to go see this show because of the way Rachel from the Detroit Cobras acts on stage.
steve harvey
Posted: Feb 27, 2006 4:38 am    
just get fucked up and shot bama lama and punch someone in the nuts and itll make for a good show
dumbinic
Posted: Feb 27, 2006 4:55 pm    
I refused to go see this show because of the way Rachel from the Detroit Cobras acts on stage.
she sucks dick. what a lame-o
steve harvey
Posted: Feb 28, 2006 3:39 am    
drive to new orleans from memphis then when you get to that big fuckin bridge blast life love and leavin
elle
Posted: Feb 28, 2006 8:05 pm    
when the detroit cobras played here in memphis and greg sang with them, i really liked it, but i really don't think i would have enjoyed the detroit cobras at all if greg wasn't singing with them. he pretty much made the show amazing.

i cannot accurately say whether or not i'd like the detroit cobras without him as i haven't seen them before then, but i doubt it very seriously.
Theresa K
Posted: Mar 2, 2006 6:12 am    
i cannot accurately say whether or not i'd like the detroit cobras without him as i haven't seen them before then, but i doubt it very seriously.

oh give em a chance. rachel's certainly unpredictable but what a lovely voice she has when she uses it right
dumbinic
Posted: Mar 28, 2006 1:42 pm    
what a lovely voice she has when she uses it right

rad on the record but the order could easily been reversed ie the cobras could have opened for the RS and the whole thing could have seemed to make more sense. Then again who really knows. The bottom line, to get away from all the negativity, is that the RS kicked serious ass and gave everyone chills, period.
Uptight White
Posted: Mar 28, 2006 11:00 pm | Edited by: Uptight White    
Okay - "This Damn Danzig" is pretty fucking funny. I'm used to getting teased about that - fine. For the record, it's just how I sing - I'm not intentionally trying to ape him

People used to say the same thing about Greg O. when he sang in his pre-Compuslive Gamblers band (I think they were called the Painkillers). You're in good company.

Danzig and greased devilocks RULE! All hail the prince of the whorey netherworld...
alex cuervo
Posted: Mar 29, 2006 9:47 pm    
People used to say the same thing about Greg O. when he sang in his pre-Compuslive Gamblers band (I think they were called the Painkillers). You're in good company.

nice of you to say that. thanks. I wish i was half as good as Greg O.

back to the original topic: I thought RS was fucking fantastic in Austin. The crowd was electrified & singing along & it was soooo fun. I was manning the merch ghost town during DC, but they sounded alright.
blue collar
Posted: Mar 30, 2006 7:47 am    
damn! thought i escaped that drunken post. hi alex.
AlPo
Posted: Mar 31, 2006 1:23 am    
dumbinic were you the guitarist with the beret?
dumbinic
Posted: Mar 31, 2006 3:27 pm    
dumbinic were you the guitarist with the beret?

I wish I had a beret. We were the first band that played. So I don't think that anyone other than a few friends saw us play. The beret man is the dude from the Livid Kittens, sort of a 90's style hard rock band.
dumbinic
Posted: Apr 3, 2006 4:46 pm    
that RS live at Goner is so good by the way.
red eyed willie
Posted: Jul 25, 2006 8:56 pm    
I second that. It's better than the Maxwells one.
Jack Stands
Posted: Jul 25, 2006 8:59 pm    
You just made my day, dude.
dumbinic
Posted: Aug 4, 2006 10:04 pm    
more berets than the jersey one
dumbinic
Posted: Aug 9, 2006 1:51 pm    
looks like the cobras are coming back to Miami with another awesome opning act...kk&BBQ! can't wait for the show.
Mullett
Posted: Sep 15, 2006 9:28 am    
I'd like to see a R. Sound/D.Cobras show now. Carol would be beat down afterwards.
BBQ
Posted: Sep 16, 2006 1:05 pm    
Carol would be beat down afterwards.

harsh??
cococomas
Posted: Sep 16, 2006 3:00 pm    
no shit man...what the fuck...you better be jokin'...
khan
Posted: Sep 17, 2006 9:12 pm | Edited by: khan    
no shit man...what the fuck...you better be jokin'.

He means beat as in tired not as in "them's fightin' words". I'm sure that he loves her guts.
eric o
Posted: Sep 17, 2006 9:21 pm    
yeah, like "Whew, I'm Beat!"

that's gene mullet you're talking to! Come on!
khan
Posted: Sep 17, 2006 9:45 pm    
http://www.goner-records.com/board/index.php?action=vthread&forum=4&to pic=18864&page=0
cococomas
Posted: Sep 18, 2006 12:03 am    
oh yes - OK....thats good.
Theresa K
Posted: Sep 20, 2006 1:03 am    
that's gene mullet you're talking to! Come on!

gene is just about the nicest human on this earth
mtwallet69
Posted: Oct 8, 2006 11:02 am    
well, I've heard about a Greg's sideproject some months ago
as long as I can remember of it, it was a record featuring greg and a white soul singer from the 60s (a Stax drummer or something)
does anybody know more?
(nothing to do with the Mary Weiss project)
grrtch
Posted: Oct 11, 2006 5:20 pm    
It was with George Soule, and drummer at Fame Studios in Muscle Shoals, rec'd in Nashville last Dec. Haven't heard about any plans to put it out, tho.
ed oblivian
Posted: Oct 17, 2006 10:07 pm    
It's out. I can't recommend it unfortunately. Carol and I are on it. The rough tracks sounded pretty good when we left Nashville but I received the final master some months ago and was very disapointed. The post production work included recutting most of the vocals(too smooth), and slathering lots of tasteless guitar(by someone else) all over everything. Lots of phaser and wha-wha. The overall mix is bad as well. Hate to be so brutal but I don't want anyone to buy it on my account and be disapointed. It's not terrible but in the hands of a better producer it could have been very good. Oh well, win some loose some.
dumbinic
Posted: Nov 3, 2006 8:51 pm    
hey ed. any chance of booking you down here in south florida?
mtwallet69
Posted: Jul 21, 2009 10:08 am    
It's out. I can't recommend it unfortunately. Carol and I are on it. The rough tracks sounded pretty good when we left Nashville but I received the final master some months ago and was very disapointed. The post production work included recutting most of the vocals(too smooth), and slathering lots of tasteless guitar(by someone else) all over everything. Lots of phaser and wha-wha. The overall mix is bad as well. Hate to be so brutal but I don't want anyone to buy it on my account and be disapointed. It's not terrible but in the hands of a better producer it could have been very good. Oh well, win some loose some.
any chance to hear a different mix?
Your answer
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  URL Link  Disable BB codes *What's this?

» Name  » Password 

victim of time

By posting on this board you agree to these Terms Of Use

Page loading time (secs): 0.088